Remembering fall of Dhaka! Most tragic incident in history of Pakistan

Golden arm

First Class Star
Runs
I just wanted to remind and share my feelings about the fall of dhaka, the most tragic incident in history of Pakistan.
This incident happened because of dictatorships, industrialists, feudal lords, cunning generals.
All these guys refused to give due rights to the public of east Pakistan. They put deaf ear to their demands, and infact behaved cruelly & brutally with the muslims in east Pakistan ( Pakistanis)

Few lessons to be learnt from this event.

a. Listen to the public and their demands, Never opress them, otherwise, we must wait for other tragic incidents like these [ this is why Baluchistan has become central issue]

b. Democracy is the best rule. Majority must rule. Had we given due power share to mujeeb ur rehman and our political leaders had the patience to wait for their turn, this tragic event would not have happened. [ I must say Bhutto made a grave mistake by not waiting for his term, and new elections]

c. External interference

I must say external interference and exploitation has increased to an alarming state in both the countries.
Now openly and clearly CIA agents are working in our ministries.
Even Bangladesh [before partition they had pretty decent politicians, like suharwardi , maulvi fazal e haq, they have the worst corrupt politicians now]

I would request other ppers esp momo and wazeeri to come up and share their feelings about this day!

Some information and documenteries about this tragedy!

http://pkpolitics.com/2008/12/16/remembering-the-fall-of-dhaka/

http://www.paktribune.com/speakout/index.php?id=104

Last edited:
Military Operation was one of the reason for fall of the dhaka and must oppose such operations. The situation in Balouchistan is also similar to the one in East Pakistan. The worst day in the history of Pakistan.

Last edited:
insaftak said:
Military Operation was one of the reason for fall of the dhaka and must oppose such operations. The situation in Balouchistan is also similar to the one in East Pakistan. The worst day in the history of Pakistan.

Sorry but the situation in Balochistan is nothing like East Pakistan. You dont have an official independence movement, you dont have the majority asking for independence (you can hardly even call in a minority) and the situation in regards to military operation is/has starting(ed) to change with FC 'taking over' as per 'Aghaaz-e-Haqooq-e-Balochistan'.

I obviously dont know the ins and outs of the years leading upto 1971 but East Pakistan was more 'zulm' whereas Balochistan is more more not giving the people what they are entitled to (thats not to say zulm isnt involved but the same could be said about Sarhad, Sindh and even Punjab).

Mohsin said:
Sorry but the situation in Balochistan is nothing like East Pakistan. You dont have an official independence movement, you dont have the majority asking for independence (you can hardly even call in a minority) and the situation in regards to military operation is/has starting(ed) to change with FC 'taking over' as per 'Aghaaz-e-Haqooq-e-Balochistan'.

I obviously dont know the ins and outs of the years leading upto 1971 but East Pakistan was more 'zulm' whereas Balochistan is more more not giving the people what they are entitled to (thats not to say zulm isnt involved but the same could be said about Sarhad, Sindh and even Punjab).

At first majority of people in East Pakistan didn't want independence aswell but our blunders left them with no choice and made them accept the view point of minority. Stop Military operation in Balouchistan, Hand gawadr port to Balouchistan gov't and let them control their resources. Federation should only worry about Trade, currency and defense leave everything else on Provincial gov'ts.

Mohsin said:

And we don't have a 'caring neighbor' separating the parts.

insaftak said:
At first majority of people in East Pakistan didn't want independence aswell but our blunders left them with no choice and made them accept the view point of minority. Stop Military operation in Balouchistan, Hand gawadr port to Balouchistan gov't and let them control their resources. Federation should only worry about Trade, currency and defense leave everything else on Provincial gov'ts.

Things in East Pakistan were also started with 'political autonomy'...

Having said that, i agree with you in regards to giving them their right.

I also agree with Inswinger's comment 100% though they're still bloody trying like hell (and this extends to youtube too;-) )!

it was the ignorance and lack of respect foir the bengali culture the war broke. had we respected their cultural identity, the situation may not have arose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/urdu/2009/12/post_556.html

چند روز پہلے سولہ دسمبر کی شام میں واشنگٹن میں قائم بنگلادیش کے سفارخانے بغیر کسی دعوت کے چلاگیا۔ کسی دوست نے بتایا تھا کہ وہاں بنگلادیشی، پاکستان سے اپنی آزادی کی تقریب منا رہے ہیں۔ پاکستانی کی حیثیت سے یہ خیال مجھے بہت عجیب لگ رہا تھا کہ کسی نے ہم سے بھی آزادی لی ہے۔ لیکن وہ کہتے ہیں نہ انگریزی کی کہاوت میں کہ 'تجسس کی وجہ سے بلی ہلاک ہوگئی تھی' تو میں نے بھی جاکر تقریب دیکھنے کی ٹھانی۔

درجنوں چہچہاتے بچے، عورتیں اور مرد تقریب میں شریک تھے جہاں بنگلادیشی زبان میں ملی نغمے گائے جارہے تھے اور بعض سازندے مختلف سازوں سے سر بکھیر رہے تھے۔

میں نے سولہ دسمبر کے متعدد پروگرام پاکستان میں دیکھے ہیں اور ہر برس تقریباً یکساں قسم کے نکلنے والے اخبارات کے خصوصی شمارے پڑھے ہیں جن میں بنگلادیش کے قیام پر ماتم کے ساتھ ہندوستان کی سازش کو بے نقاب کیا جاتا ہے اور اگر کبھی مقرر یا مصنف کو تھوڑا سا غیرجانبدار بننے کا خبط سوار ہو تو کچھ تنقید بھٹو اور جنرل یحییٰ خان پر کرکے ضمیر کا بوجھ اتارنے کی کوشش کر لیتا ہے۔

بنگلادیشی سفارتخانے میں جہاں یہ تقریب ہورہی تھی وہیں ڈھاکے میں قائم جنگی میوزیم سے لائی جانے والی تصاویر کی ایک نمائش بھی چل رہی تھی۔ تصاویر میں بچوں کی سوختہ لاشیں بکھری ہیں، ایک بچے کے دونوں بازو اور دونوں ٹانگیں کٹی ہیں، ایک میں بے نام لاشوں کا ڈھیر لگا ہوا ہے، ایک اور تصویر میں کنویں میں لاشیں پڑی ہیں، ایک اور میں جنسی زیادتی کا شکار عورتیں اپنے مسلمان بھائیوں کے دئے زخم چھپا رہی ہیں۔

میں نے سوچا میں کسی ماں، کسی بچے یا کسی والد سے جاکر معافی مانگوں۔ لیکن پھر مجھے علی محمد ملے۔ وہ تیرہ برس کے تھے جب ان کے خاندان پر قیامت ٹوٹی۔ انہوں نے بتایا کہ ایک رات فوج ان کے گاؤں میں داخل ہوئی تو ان کا پورا خاندان سہما ہوا گھر میں اللہ سے دعائیں مانگ رہا تھا۔ علی محمد کے والد نے گھر والوں کو تسلی دی کہ گھبرائیں مت اپنی فوج ہے اس سے کیا خطرہ وہ تو ہندوؤں کو تلاش کر رہی ہے۔

لیکن علی محمد کے مطابق ان کے والد کی تسلی ختم ہی ہوئی تھی کہ ان کے گھر کے دروازے پر لات پڑی اور باوردی جوان اندر گھس آئے۔ گھر میں کہرام مچ گیا، عورتوں نے فوجیوں کی منت سماجت کی، قرآن کے واسطے دئے لیکن انہوں نے ایک نہ سنی۔ علی محمد کے مطابق فوجیوں نے ان کے گھر کے سات مردوں کو (ان کے والد اور چھ چچاؤں کو) گھر سے باہر قطار میں کھڑا کرکے گولیوں کی بارش کر دی۔ سات گرم لہو خاک میں مل گئے۔

علی محمد کی آنکھیں نم ہوگئیں اور شاید میری بھی۔ میں نظریں چرا کر سفارتخانے سے باہر آگیا۔

I grew up with the opinion that bangladeshis sold out pakistanis and muslims in 1971 by getting help from non muslims. While i still hold that opinion i am also now strongly against the action of the pakistani army and politicians before and during this tragic incidient.

chacha kashmiri said:
I grew up with the opinion that bangladeshis sold out pakistanis and muslims in 1971 by getting help from non muslims. While i still hold that opinion i am also now strongly against the action of the pakistani army and politicians before and during this tragic incidient.
If Pakistanis hold the independence of Bangladesh in such high regards, then I think no more explanation/justification is required any more. It's pretty evident howmuch they are "respected" by Pakistanis and self proclaimed "real-muslims".

The actions of the Pakistan army and Bhutto's hunger for power led Bangladesh to separate. Colluding with the Indians was the quickest and the most efficient way.

The atrocities committed by West Pakistan essentially eroded any loyalty that East Pakistanis had for Pakistan and it became 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. The blame lies solely within the upper echelons of the West Pakistan political and army hierarchy.

Labeling it as 'selling out' essentially points the finger of blame at Bangladesh, which is incorrect, given the true context of what happened.

Hail-Akram said:
If Pakistanis hold the independence of Bangladesh in such high regards, then I think no more explanation/justification is required any more. It's pretty evident howmuch they are "respected" by Pakistanis and self proclaimed "real-muslims".

stop trying to s hit stir

its really unfortunate, we are still not ready to look into our faults and accept blunders which we made in east Pakistan then.
Unless we learn from the history and take responsibility for the blunders of the nation, worst things will keep on happening!
May Allah show us the right path.

Mohsin said:

Yeah but we do have a snake like zardari just like his predecessor Bhutto conspiring in the background...

Cheguvera said:
Yeah but we do have a snake like zardari just like his predecessor Bhutto conspiring in the background...

But he has WAY BIGGER things to worry about now! ;-)

BUMP!

This day in history - 16th Dec 1971 - Fall of Dhaka

[utube]t9IXFxPdDWE[/utube]

Last edited:
^ it was very dark day indeed, only we are to be blamed because we didn't respect them and didn't give them their rights, Zulfiqar Bhutto in particular, who was power hungry.

^ it was very dark day indeed, only we are to be blamed because we didn't respect them and didn't give them their rights, Zulfiqar Bhutto in particular, who was power hungry.

Precisely, no question about that. In the words of Faiz, after his visit to Dhaka in 1974:

hum ke thairey ajnabi itni madaraatoon ke baad
phir banain gain aashnaa kitni mulaqatoon ke baad

kab nazar main aaey ge bay dagh sabzey ki bahar
khoon ke dhabbey dhulain gain kitni barsaatoon ke baad

dil to chaaha par shikasht-e-dil nay muhlat he na di
kuch giley shikvey bhi kar laitey manajaatoon ke baad

thay buhat bay dard lamhey Khatm-e-dard-e-ishq ke
theen buhat bay mehar subhain meherbaan raatoon ke baad

un se jo kehney gaey thai "faiz" jaan sadqa kiye
unkahee he reh gai voh baat sab baatoon ke baad

LOL.....Muslims are brothers each other....this is the most lamest and common expression i hear from two faced pakistanis in real life....

actions speak louder than words...

now pakistanis can understand how indians felt when india was partitioned in 1947.....

history repeat itself...

two-nations theory has been failed. confess it.

says "Pakistani" Asad :)

Partition was a good idea...we can coexist peacefully as separate states but there were far too many innate differences and deep-rooted prejudices for us to exist under the same state

the unequal treatment of Bengalis caused the disintegration. The notion that majority of West Pakistani establishment had racist attitude towards Bengalis was despicable. The funny thing is Bengalis made Pakistan not the Sindhis, Balochis, Punjabis or Pathans. The division of Bengal in 1905 set things in motion for Pakistan and the language riots in 1951 eventually led to disintegration. I think the Pakistani mentality of blaming India is one of the greatest tragedies of all this because it shows we have learned nothing from history. There is no doubt India helped the Mukhti Bahinis but it was not India which caused disparities in budgets (something like 170 crores for the East and 500 plus for the West), disparities in civil service (something 40 to 700) and military( something like 40 to 900). The racism caused the disintegration and it will do the same if Punjab is not divided and brought back to the status pre- 1973.

The discrimination towards Bengalis was certainly a big factor towards the separation. Something that Pakistan must take blame for, and learn from for the future

The discrimination towards Bengalis was certainly a big factor towards the separation. Something that Pakistan must take blame for, and learn from for the future

39 years have passed, we haven't learned.

Stupid military operations continue.

We really don't learn from our history.

Remembering history is one thing but what does this mean for the Pakistanis and Bangladeshis of today?

One of my closest friends here is from Banglasdesh - his father was killed by what he says may have been bombardment by Pakistani Army. To him, that means nothing. Its history. Me being a Pakistani means nothing to him - I am a fellow Muslim and a friend. We share the same mosque, our children are best of friends etc.

Whatever happened in Dhaka is history. There is no point killing each other (virtually) over it now. What is important is the lessons that we have learnt from that catastophy.

As for the relations between Pakistani and Bangladeshis - well we are Muslims first - this should be our guiding principle. Read The Prophet PBUHs last sermon and understand it.

now pakistanis can understand how indians felt when india was partitioned in 1947.....

Wrong. What Pakistanis felt in 1947, and we Bangladeshis felt in 1971, was freedom from the hands of an oppressor. Evan if Pakistan was with India after 1947, Bangladesh would have separated from India by 1971. Pre-1947 Bangladesh was heavily oppressed by tyrants from West Bengal, present day India, and that's why Muslim League, Pakistan proposal, all were first formulated in present day Bangladesh. We always had a strong nationalistic identity. Even during Mughal period, we were sovereign more often than not.

history repeat itself...
two-nations theory has been failed. confess it.

The original Pakistan proposal had a three nation theory actually. Bengal was to be the third nation.
And Pre-1971 Pakistan as a nation was not sustainable due to its geography. Politics made it worse. Best bet was to accept Sheikh Mujib's 6 point agenda, and remain as loosely coupled states under a confederate.

However, two nation theory was unavoidable. Look at situation of Muslims before 1947 and you would see oppression everywhere. And recent incidents like Babri mosque massacre, Gujarat massacre prove that one nation theory would have been a bigger failure. British India as a single nation would have never achieved what India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have achieved separately. It would have become another Rwanda with Hutu Tutsi ethnic cleanings.

I believe the present situation is the best one, three nations, each on its own. We take our own decisions and live by it and don't have to argue based on religious/regional lines all the time.

Stupid military operations continue.

We really don't learn from our history.

You keep harping on about the military but you fail to acknowledge that it was the democratically elected politicians and political process that betrayed the Bengalis first, your "democracy" was the root cause of the problem and they are the ones the made it necessary for the Army to go in there (and that was never going to solve the problem it would only make it much worse). However the point still remains...it was politicians imo that was the root cause. So stop your annoying rhetoric and propoganda against everything military.

As for my own opinions on the issue, we let the Bengalis down badly, we can't blame anyone else for ourselves...as another poster has mentioned we did not respect their rights and their culture and we much make sure that we do NOT make this same mistake now.

Lessons of December 16
I.A Rehman
(16 hours ago) Today

Tagged:
TODAY, Dec 16, Pakistan`s opinion-makers will once again raise a loud wail and lament the final act in their country`s dismemberment almost half a century ago. It will again be a ritualistic display of grief and no one will be convinced of its genuineness.

Nothing will be gained by beating chests, like Mary, Queen of Scots, did over the loss of Calais. The mourning will have meaning if the people of Pakistan took stock of their establishment`s acts of commission and omission that drove the Bengalis out of the state that they more than any other community had helped create barely 24 years earlier. This exercise, which should include repentance as well as a legitimate reappraisal, is necessary if Pakistan is to ward off the danger of its demise as a democratic polity and the threat to its integrity.

Pakistan`s founding fathers were so greatly carried away by the Muslim League`s 1945-46 electoral victory across the subcontinent and the euphoria created by partition just a year later that they ignored the challenge posed by the provincial units` rising aspirations for autonomy. The 1919 scheme of diarchy had given the provincial authorities control over agriculture, education, public works and local bodies, key departments because of their relevance to the largest sections of their populations. It was this heady feeling of empowerment in one`s own yard that had emboldened Fazl-i-Husain to tell the Quaid to stay away from Punjab and Sikandar Hayat to present an alternative to the scheme suggested in the Lahore Resolution. The same was the feeling in other provinces, a fact conceded by the authors of the Lahore (subsequently Pakistan) Resolution while deciding on its language — and which has haunted the rulers of Pakistan all of its 63 years.

The East Bengal people`s aspirations for maximum power at the provincial level had an extra dimension. They had had a share in the Bengal government for 10 continuous years (1937-47) — led by Muslim premiers. But they had not forgotten how much more power they had enjoyed when Bengal had been first divided in 1905. The partition of 1947 gave them the province they had in 1905. Only full autonomy could mitigate the pain of loss of authority over West Bengal, especially Calcutta.

However, they were more than willing to restrain their desire for power for the sake of making Pakistan a success. They agreed to elect Muslim League leaders from minority provinces to the constituent assembly, they accepted the formula of bureaucrats` promotion whose beneficiaries were all non-Bengalis except one, they also accepted Karachi as the new state`s capital and the fact that the offices of the governor-general, the prime minister, the president of the constituent assembly and the East Bengal governor were held by non-Bengalis. These gestures were not appreciated; instead a tendency to take the people of East Bengal for granted started taking root.

Before partition actually took place the Quaid-i-Azam briefly acknowledged East Bengal`s yearning for autonomy by allowing Suhrawardy to make a bid for keeping Bengal united but after that Pakistan`s leaders closed their ears to autonomy demands, beginning with their unwise language policy. Mujib might have indulged in exaggeration when he said that the denial of permission to a Bengali member to make oath in his mother tongue at the first session of the constituent assembly marked the beginning of his people`s alienation from Pakistan, but the fact is that the country`s establishment failed to realise that denial of a people`s language is one of the first warnings of their loss of identify and sovereignty.

The policies of the centre took little time to make the people of East Bengal aware of their status as a colony. Provincial elections were held in the western wing in 1951-52, the Bengalis were made to wait till 1954 and then the elected representatives were not allowed to rule in peace. A strong man, Iskander Mirza was sent to drill them into submission. By and by the people of East Bengal became aware of the scale of denial of their rights.

Ayub Khan tried a trade-off between the Bengali people`s rights and mega-projects and set Monem Khan after them. At the same time the hollowness of the strategy of defending East Bengal by making the defence of Lahore strong was exposed. This was a strategy effective in the Middle Ages when defence was an exclusively military affair and the people`s relationship with the state did not matter.

Yahya Khan seemed determined to preside over Pakistan`s dissolution. He tried to use his `gift` of a general election and acceptance of Bengali majority in the constitution-making body to bargain in his and his class`s interest. When this tactic failed he unleashed a war he had no chance of winning. He relied on ineffective patrons and turned effective actors into enemies. The day by-elections were decided upon to fill the seats of parliamentarians who had fled across the border the final countdown to Pakistan`s disintegration began. Among other things, the Bengali people`s courage and grit in conducting their war of liberation contributed to a quicker than expected end.

No narrative on political blunders over two decades can be as simple and one-sided as the foregoing paragraphs may suggest. True, an inexperienced, resource-starved and rather inadequate leadership at the centre did not possess the means to satisfy East Bengal`s aspirations. The preoccupation with security problems and external factors complicated matters. The politicians lacked the will and the mental capacity to resist being outmanoeuvred by an alliance of over-ambitious civil and military bureaucrats. But politicians who can keep their wits in fair weather only have no right to high offices; they can only invite disaster. They did just that.

Historians and analysts are unlikely to give up their attempts to identify who were heroes and who were the villains in the East Bengal story and at what point Pakistan started breaking up. Perhaps it is time to realise that Pakistan came to grief by adopting a flawed policy towards East Bengal from day one.

Whatever the causes the founding fathers did not grasp the dynamics of provincial politics. When Ghulam Mohammad sacked Nazimuddin and then dissolved the constituent assembly he destroyed Bengal`s confidence in the rulers` commitment to constitutionalism. The strategy for winning the hearts of the Bengali people comprised developmental bribes and control through quislings. No people will forever surrender their rights to political power, social progress and cultural identity for tinsel. And throughout the two decades that East Bengal formed part of Pakistan religion was used as the only cement to preserve the state`s integrity.

The Bengalis were more religious than their western compatriots but they had no use for a religion that smacked of occupation and oppression. Pakistan had to pay the price of ignoring the lesson humankind (including Arabs) learnt after many sanguinary contests, that religion has never, nowhere defeated the rising tide of nationalism.

Dec 16 is the appropriate occasion to realise that the laws of history have not changed.

Source: http://www.dawn.com/2010/12/16/lessons-of-december-16.html

This was not a tragic. Here was a genuine revolutionary war of the Bengali public against a Punjabi occupying State. Such determination of self governance and liberty should be supported across the planet.

To compare Balochistan to East Pakistan/Bangladesh is a denial of what really went on in East Pakistan. Balochistan's situation is nowhere near the situation that was in East Pakistan, the situation is far better in Balochistan. those statements are okay for political point scoring, but the reality could not be much different.

My dad went to London to protest and apparently grown men,50 to 60 year olds were weeping in the streets on that day.

The darkest day in Pakistan and we must learn.All of this was self-inflicted and we have only ourselves to blame for the discrimination of East Pakistanis.

To compare Balochistan to East Pakistan/Bangladesh is a denial of what really went on in East Pakistan. Balochistan's situation is nowhere near the situation that was in East Pakistan, the situation is far better in Balochistan. those statements are okay for political point scoring, but the reality could not be much different.

Brother this is not your fault. This is how our nation felt at the time of fall of dhaka and when they woke up on 16th December, old people were weeping in streets of Lahore.
When are we going to wake up - God knows better.

Attachments

• am.jpg
    am.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,620
Reason for Bengali rebellion was the existence of Fundamentally Unnatural Pakistan itself .

... will write more if required . lol

Last edited:
Brother this is not your fault. This is how our nation felt at the time of fall of dhaka and when they woke up on 16th December, old people were weeping in streets of Lahore.
When are we going to wake up - God knows better.

I know Balochistan pretty well bro :) but sure if you think you know better, thats fine too you can keep feeling that way. but maybe for another thread.

I know Balochistan pretty well bro :) but sure if you think you know better, thats fine too you can keep feeling that way. but maybe for another thread.

:) You are entitled for you opinion.

By the way where are you from in Baluchistan?

Last edited:
Well what has changed since? I see the same elite from Baluchistan, Punjab, Sindh and NWFP taking in turns to rule... how are we to learn any lessons when people keep voting them in!!

In-depth: What students are being taught about the separation of East Pakistan
DAWN.COM
Yesterday

Tagged: 1971 war, bangladesh independence, east pakistan, liberation war

History is written by… the teachers?
By Misha Hussain, in Dhaka
DHAKA: Few would argue with the sequence of events that lead to the liberation of Bangladesh as described in the textbooks being taught to tenth grade students in Bangladesh.
However, despite the clarity of the national curriculum, students interviewed by Dawn.com seemed confused as to the reasons behind the 1971 war as well as many of the facts associated with it.

According to the school textbooks, the need for self-autonomy was crystallised by Ayub Khan’s apathy towards East Pakistan during the 1965 Indo-Pak War and the discrimination towards Bengalis in every sphere of the region’s administration: economical, political and military.

His self-proclaimed ‘Decade of Improvement’ left Bengalis impoverished, unprotected and voiceless.

‘Two-thirds of Pakistan’s foreign currency was earned by exporting East Pakistan’s jute for which the Bengali growers never received a fair price and West Pakistanis made up 95 per cent of the military of which the upper echelons were forbidden to Bengalis’ reads the text.

After years of subjugation, it was the rejection of the six-point plan, the incarceration of 35 prominent leaders for the Agartala Conspiracy and finally the refusal of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto (backed by Yahya Khan) to form the opposition party, that finally sparked the armed conflict.

The lack of relief provided to East Pakistan after the 1970 Bhola cyclone, which killed an estimated 500,000 people, further highlighted the helplessness of this then overlooked region of South Asia and catalysed the Bengalis struggle for self-autonomy into something much more tangible, independence.

However, despite this clear (if somewhat one-sided) account of what happened, almost all the students of class 10 interviewed by Dawn.com said that Bangladesh went to war ‘for our mother tongue,’ a major frustration, but never a part of Mujibur Rahman’s six-point plan. Somehow, the 1952 Bangla Language Movement seems to have been directly connected with the fight for independence.

Similarly, there is an equal amount of confusion on the numbers killed. All the students without fail stated that three million people died in the nine-month struggle. Another ‘fact’ that is not mentioned in the text books.

“My teacher told me that almost three million people died,” said 15-year-old Surzi.

“I heard on TV that three million died,” said 16-year-old Priti.

While the government is teaching one thing, it would appear that the teachers, parents and the media are teaching another.

Could resolving this difference in historical understanding be key to ensuring that future generations grow up in a cooperative environment helping both Pakistan and Bangladesh move forward as a region?

For 17-year-old Shebab the answer is clear. “I am proud of my country and the people that fought for its liberation. However, I feel this hatred towards the Pakistanis.”

“I don’t think we should forgive them. Other reputable sources concur to the rape, the murder and the destruction of Bangladesh,” he said.

You can understand why the Bengalis might feel aggrieved.

‘We have earned our freedom [from Pakistan] through nine months of bloody struggle’ begins the concluding chapter Losses of the 1971 Liberation War of a class ten history book being taught in classrooms across Bangladesh.

‘They [the Pakistan Army] destroyed educational institutes, industries and public property. Bridges, roads and railways were also destroyed as were the sea ports at Chittagong and Mongla. The federal reserves were empty and all military and non-military aircraft were taken to West Pakistan.’

‘On 16 December, a completely economically and in every other way destroyed Bangladesh started its journey as a free and independent state.’

However, it gives a rather one-sided picture of popular Pakistani opinion.

“It fails to mentions that there were people in Pakistan who were sympathetic to our cause. I don’t believe in hating a whole nation because of something the national leaders are the army generals decided to do,” said Arman Islam, a mother who read the school text books for the first time today.

“Besides, when has a fight for independence not been bloody? Is there really any need to teach such hatred to our children?” she said.

————————————————-

Fall of East Pakistan

By Huma Imtiaz, in Karachi

KARACHI: Thirty-nine years after a bloody and cruel war led to the creation of Bangladesh, it is shocking that the findings made by the Hamood-ur-Rehman Commission on the 1971 war, was never made public.

The 1971 war saw thousands killed, leaving permanent scars on millions of people in Bangladesh who witnessed torture and death of their countrymen at the hands of the Pakistan Army. Instead of the report, all that the new generation of Pakistanis know about the war comes from the state curriculum. However, instead of setting the record straight on the creation of Bangladesh and the reasons for the separation, students in the Matric and Intermediate levels of school (class nine through 12) are being taught conspiracy theories and a factually incorrect version of history.

While historians and academics have long decried the white-washing of the state Curriculum, it is appalling that in the twenty-first century, the government is yet to make changes in the syllabi being taught to Pakistan’s future generation.

The Pakistan Studies textbook for Class nine and ten fails to mention Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto or the role of the PPP throughout the essay on Bangladesh and the 1971 War. Following are a few of the reasons listed in the textbook for the “Fall of East Pakistan”.

“Role of Hindu teachers

A large number of Hindu teachers were teaching in the educational institutions in East Pakistan. They produced such literature which created negative thinking in the minds of Bengalis against the people of West Pakistan.

International Conspiracies

About 10 million Hindus were living in East Pakistan. India stood at the back of these Hindus to protect their interests. India wanted to separate East Pakistan to strengthen the economic position of the Hindus. Many Hindus acted as spies for India. Russia was against Pakistan because Pakistan had allowed America to establish military bases in Pakistan. On the other hand, America also wanted separation of East Pakistan. Under the circumstances Russia openly supported India’s aggression against Pakistan.”

The Pakistan Studies textbooks of classes ten and eleven have a broader, yet still incorrect version of the story behind the creation of Bangladesh.

“Ultimately, the Martial Law authorities decided to use the armed forces. In the military operations, the armed volunteers of Jamaat-e-Islami also took part and used the occasion to settle old scores with their political opponents. As a result of military action, many workers of the Awami League fled to India and took refuge there. India trained and armed these workers and sent them back to East Pakistan to fight against the Pakistan Army. These armed volunteers of ‘Mukti Bahini’ continued their struggle and guerrilla activities. On December 3, 1971 the war between Pakistan and India began. Due to the lack of support of the local populace and the poor arrangements of supply of men and material, Pakistani solders (sic) surrender before the Indian army on December 16, 1971 whereas the ceasefire on West Pakistan front was declared without launching a significant attack. On December 16, 1971 East Pakistan became an independent and free state of Bangladesh.”

Nowhere, in both textbooks is there a mention of the documented atrocities committed by the Pakistan Army – which includes rapes, targeted killings – against the Mukti Bahini and the genocide of the Bengali population. The textbooks also fail to mention the number of civilian deaths in East Pakistan in the period leading up to the creation of Bangladesh. Nor does it mention Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto’s inflexible stand on sharing power with Mujib-ur-Rehman’s Awami League. Instead, conspiracies, speculation on the role of the populace and issues like language and India’s involvement are given precedence over assigning blame to those involved in the separation of East and West Pakistan.

Abbas Hussain, Director of the Teachers Development Centre, terms this version of history, a farce. “We give our children hocus pocus in textbooks.” When asked how teachers feel about teaching their students such material, Hussain replied, “Most teachers have classroom schizophrenia, where the children and teachers are in a sort of conspiracy that there is a real world outside the classroom and there is a fictitious world in the classroom and you jolly well obey that!”

Pervez Hoodbhoy, a noted academic and Professor of Physics at the Quaid-e-Azam University in Islamabad, says, “Forty years later, Bangladesh has many disputes with India but it shows not the slightest inclination to reintegrate with Pakistan. If Pakistan’s schoolbooks actually taught honest history, they would be explaining why East Pakistanis felt exploited and fought for their independence. Instead, our children are taught cock-and-bull conspiracy nonsense.”

By contrast, the history textbooks being taught in O’Levels have a far more clear and precise version of history that does not reek of state censorship. Rizwana Zahid Ahmed’s “Pakistan – The Real Picture (A Comprehensive History Course)” highlights the atrocities committed by the Pakistan Army:

“Before the Assembly session could take place, General Tikka, the Governor of East Pakistan, launched a military operation against the members of the Mukti Bahini, the militant wing of the Awami League, which was allegedly being funded by India. In this operation, many indiscriminate killings took place.

While reports of atrocities committed by the Pakistani Army increased, so did the retaliation, often brutal, by the Bengalis against the army. The army was really fighting a war on two fronts, against the Indian aggression as well as the local people. The situation began to get hopelessly out of control.”

Ahmed’s book does not shy away from revealing the prejudices against Bengalis that were prevalent in post 1947-society:

“The West Pakistanis viewed the East Pakistanis as being inferior, a fact that has been mentioned even in the biography of Field Marshal Ayub Khan. The fact remains, however, that the East Pakistanis were culturally superior to West Pakistanis in their love of art, literacy, interest in music and poetry.”

As a solution, Hussain is of the opinion that the government should open the marketplace and allow a variety of schoolbooks to be taught to children. “The teachers shouldn’t teach textbooks as the only true version. They can make students look at a variety of newspaper accounts from that time, from The New York Times, Guardian, etc.” Hussain feels that where access to the internet isn’t available, the government can provide printed packs containing hard copies (of supplementary material) to teachers.

Hoodbhoy says that Pakistan Studies must not be used as an ideological instrument but, instead, as a means of furthering genuine knowledge about Pakistan. “Unfortunately for Pakistan, the guardians of ideological purity installed by General Zia have kept their posts. They must be evicted, and genuine scholars must set curricula and write textbooks.”

When asked what effect this curriculum has had on the millions of students that have been taught an incorrect version of history, Hoodbhoy answered, “Nations that face their history honestly have a better chance of surviving and progressing than those that raise their future citizens on a diet of lies. Because the lessons of East Pakistan have been lost, most Pakistanis cannot understand why Balochistan is such an angry province today.”

Hussain echoes Hoodbhoy’s views, “I am a great follower of Lord Buddha’s saying, ‘Children who are fed lies breed violence’.”

Thirty-nine years have passed since Bangladesh was created. Surely, it is time to set the record straight and tell the future generation of Pakistanis what really led to the fall of East Pakistan.

Huma Imtiaz works as a journalist in Pakistan and can be reached at huma.imtiaz@gmail.com

Source:
http://www.dawn.com/2010/12/16/in-d...ht-about-the-separation-of-east-pakistan.html

Discrimination is natural these days in Pakistan.
I wouldn't be shocked if Sindh, Baluchistan, NWFP, and Punjab become separate countries in the future..

Its all in the past now. I personally feel the seperation of East and West Pakistan was the best in the long run. The entire partition was flawed. You cannot have a part of your country located so far from the main center with a hostile neighboring state in between. It was a logistical mess from the beggining. I am pretty sure that a vast majority of West Pakistani's had no clue about what was really going on in East Pakistan.

Plus as has already been mentioned, the East Pakistani's with such a large Hindu population were obviously going to feel more inclined towards India. Besides the Bengals could not really identify with the Pakistani identity in the first place. I know a lot of Bengali middle class people and servants and i have found a vast majority of them to be highly supportive of India.

Funny part is that some Bengali's are leaving Bangladesh to come to work in Pakistan, on fake passports, because of a lack of decent opportunities at home. Now i dont mean to generalize about Bengalis, there are good and bad people everywhere on this planet, but a vast majority of people in my neighborhood had bad experiences with Bengali servants and they feel they top the list when it comes to "Aisan Faramoshi and are just not loyal" no matter how much u do for them.

But yes the Pak army attrocities against the Bengali's in 1970-71 is true, dispicable. But to say the same could happen in Balochistan etc is a complete overexaggeration. If East Pakistan was located in West Pakistan, i firmly believe there would have been no division of Pakistan.

Discrimination is natural these days in Pakistan.
I wouldn't be shocked if Sindh, Baluchistan, NWFP, and Punjab become separate countries in the future..

yes ....

Balushastaan ... i m sure
NWFP ..... I am curious

Reason is Pakistans growing alliance with , and reliance upon USA .

i need to know role of rajakar(razkar) in fall of dhaka?? can anyone help??

There is a Book by then MAJOR SIDDIQ SAALIK , who was the Media / press release officer of the eastern command of pakistani army , He served as Media advisor to 3 famous Eastern commanders Gen. Sahabzada yaqqob , then Gen Tikka Khan , then Finally Gen. Niazi ( the surrenderer ) . He later went on progressing through ranks until , He finally Died in the Plane crash With Zia Ul Haq . He was among the 90000 prisoners of war who were kept in India after war .

this is the cover ....

page0001.gif

This Book is available all over Pakistan and is really an authentic one considering the author's rank & status during the war . It contains details of events i posted above with dates and journalistic evidences .

Thanks !

http://tribune.com.pk/story/92317/an-open-letter-to-dhaka/

an interesting article in tribune. the author pretty much says everything.

I was not a witness to the events of 1971, nor is the same widely discussed in Pakistan, my homeland. However, my Pakistani university education and my interest in the subject have compelled me to write this piece.

December 16 is remembered in Pakistan as a black day — a day when Jinnah’s dream was vanquished. Countless Pakistanis cried that day, unaware of the atrocities that had been committed against their Bengali brothers and sisters in the then East Pakistan.

In a number of discussions on the subject, one can decipher two trains of thought in Pakistan. The first considers India as responsible for the separation or considered the separation as inevitable, as East Pakistan was a territory separated by thousands of miles of enemy land. They ignore the human element in it and gloss over the atrocities committed, and all the legitimate reasons for the growing resentment within the people of the then eastern wing. The second type of thought, which seems to be more predominant, and to which I belong, acknowledges the great number of injustices committed against the Bengali people, and the fact that they were forced into a situation whereby they had no option but to fight for an independent Bangladesh. There is a tinge of guilt in our discussions, and a great deal of remorse for what our elders did.

The systematic marginalisation of the majority province of the country, the lack of attention paid to its problems, coupled with the attempt to suppress their linguistic and cultural realities were the seeds from which grew the seeds of secession. And this despite the fact that the Bengalis have always been acknowledged in Pakistan as the greatest proponents of the Pakistan movement in the days leading up to the division of the subcontinent.

On December 16, every major newspaper in Pakistan carried articles of varying content about the events of the time. Most of these articles recount the patriotism of the Bengalis in creating Pakistan, their resolve to contribute to its development, pinpointing the barbarity and brutality with which they were repressed and neglected. If they are looked at closely, one will notice the collective guilt and remorse of the people of Pakistan for the actions of yesteryear.

Frankly, I must admit that to this day I wonder how different my country would have been had the Bengalis been given their rights, and Mujeebur Rehman had been handed over the government as per his electoral mandate in 1970. Unfortunately, the wrongs of the past cannot be eradicated or forgotten. However, although those wrongs cannot be erased, they can certainly be atoned for.

Each and every individual involved in the said events ought to be taken to task in Pakistan as per the findings of the Hamoodur Rehman Commission report, even if symbolically. In a nutshell, we may have lost a united Pakistan on December 16, 1971, but I would like to think that by putting to trial those responsible for the atrocities, we could, at least, salvage our common brotherhood and struggle, as had been undertaken in 1947 under the leadership of Muhammad Ali Jinnah. Last but not least, a belated congratulations to all Bangladeshis on the occasion of ‘Victory Day‘. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shameful actions of my elders and the criminal silence of my compatriots. May God bless you all.

:
:sohail

why- any special reasons for being so happy- I can understand for bangladeshis.

I think India was even more happier than Bagladesh for this and let us hear an Indian's view on this.

Go ahead Dondulkar..

^
Anyone calling it the triumph of just the Bengali Pakistanis is trying to cover up the reality. The turning point in the Bangla liberation war was the moment India stepped in. The interference was decisive and the reason why East Pakistan is now called Bangladesh. It was freedom to the east Pakistanis but the triumph belongs to India. You can always discredit our win by saying that it was something bound to happen anyway and that we got the help of east pakistanis who turned their back on you.
The significant thing from our point of view is that we cut our border with the foe nation to half.

I believe in 1971 all your diplomatic ties with USA, China and Arab countries failed miserably. India was no big power then and still there was no stopping our interference. 70,000+ of your army people surrendered and that remains the biggest one in modern warfare.

My personal view is always to move on and look into future. Thats how constructive people think and do their thang :) instead of debating, arguing over past. Yea , always learn from mistakes you committed in past and just move on and do better 'constructive' things

Last edited:
^
Anyone calling it the triumph of just the Bengali Pakistanis is trying to cover up the reality. The turning point in the Bangla liberation war was the moment India stepped in. The interference was decisive and the reason why East Pakistan is now called Bangladesh. It was freedom to the east Pakistanis but the triumph belongs to India. You can always discredit our win by saying that it was something bound to happen anyway and that we got the help of east pakistanis who turned their back on you.
The significant thing from our point of view is that we cut our border with the foe nation to half.

I believe in 1971 all your diplomatic ties with USA, China and Arab countries failed miserably. India was no big power then and still there was no stopping our interference. 70,000+ of your army people surrendered and that remains the biggest one in modern warfare.

My personal view is always to move on and look into future. Thats how constructive people think and do their thang :) instead of debating, arguing over past. Yea , always learn from mistakes you committed in past and just move on and do better 'constructive' things

Sorry, if the Soviet submarines werent trailing the US ships, or the Soviet vetoing all SC resolutions on the war, or if the war wasnt conducted in winter when the Himalayan passes are snowbound, cutting off any possible Chinese intervention, the outcome may not have been the same.

And IMO, this war was a result of necessity, than the usual 'See, I am stronger than you' type of war. India or Indians should not be taking credit for it. It was unfortunate that India was interfering into the neighbor's territory, but it was due to unavoidable circumstances, and humanitarian problem that forced it to. And no we would not have won the war if the Bangladeshis hadn't yearned for freedom and asked for our help. Remember Operation Gibraltar, and the pathetic response for that from J&K people, which was the main reason we won the 1965 war. The 1971 war is and should be considered the Bangladesh Liberation War.

Last edited:
Lol at the Indians who feel the 1971 war was a complete victory for them. It was more Pakistan who lost the war rather than India winning it.

If you look at the decisions made by the millitary leadership back then both political and millitary, it is clear that they really weren't interested in keeping East Pakistan as a part of Pakistan.

Heck Yayha Khan and most of the top brass were busy drowning in whisky, womanizing at the peak of the war.

My dad was once seated next to a POW in a flight and that guy was full of scorn/hatred for General Niazi and according to him Niazi used to ask the soldiers everyday "How many women have you raped today?".

Bottomline Indians would never have had the opportunity to intervene in East Pakistan had Pakistan not given them the opportunity to do so.

If there is one and the only thing I give Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto credit for it is rebuilding Pakistan's shattered Confidence and helping the country to get over something so devastating as losing 50% of the country to its arch rival India.

India didn't win the 1965 war.

We didnt start the war. Pakistan started it with Operation Gibraltar, and ultimately there was no territorial gains for Pakistan, which was the whole aim, so in effect, it can be argued that we won the war. Anyway the 1965 war has no direct connections with the thread(I used it only as an example), I dont want to elaborate and derail this thread.

Lol at the Indians who feel the 1971 war was a complete victory for them. It was more Pakistan who lost the war rather than India winning it.

Bottomline Indians would never have had the opportunity to intervene in East Pakistan had Pakistan not given them the opportunity to do so.

If there is one and the only thing I give Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto credit for it is rebuilding Pakistan's shattered Confidence and helping the country to get over something so devastating as losing 50% of the country to its arch rival India.

Its not about who won, how won, who gets the credit.
Its about who benifited the most from it, its always gonna be the finest hour for us. No doubt about it.

Its not about who won, how won, who gets the credit.
Its about who benifited the most from it, its always gonna be the finest hour for us. No doubt about it.

It definitely did leave us behind. It would have been a different story altogether If Bengalis at that time were given the priority and control of Pakistan as they rightfully deserved it. So yeah India more than anybody else have taken the advantage of that scenario.

Might be deemed a controversial point and perhaps misguided given I am an outsider but from my experience reading threads here and on the bengali site, and from general observation of users, I feel there's a serious lack of grasp in Pakistan over the gravity of the warcrimes that went on in Bangladesh. Too many seem to resent Bangladesh for siding with the "enemy" here over understanding why they did so and what atrocities drove them to arms in the first place.

Seriously, these were millions of people who both attained independence under the same nation, and religion. Instead of embracing the diverse makeup of this country, attempts were made to erase the culture of one end, and then ultimate ethnically cleanse it. Millions apparently, from what I'm reading, massacred. Millions. Yet nobody knows of it really outside of the subcontinent. Surprising. If the figures I've read are near accurate its arguably the biggest since the Holocaust yet so little is made about it.

Its just such a sad sad story no matter what way you look. So so easily avoided.

Might be deemed a controversial point and perhaps misguided given I am an outsider but from my experience reading threads here and on the bengali site, and from general observation of users, I feel there's a serious lack of grasp in Pakistan over the gravity of the warcrimes that went on in Bangladesh. Too many seem to resent Bangladesh for siding with the "enemy" here over understanding why they did so and what atrocities drove them to arms in the first place.

Seriously, these were millions of people who both attained independence under the same nation, and religion. Instead of embracing the diverse makeup of this country, attempts were made to erase the culture of one end, and then ultimate ethnically cleanse it. Millions apparently, from what I'm reading, massacred. Millions. Yet nobody knows of it really outside of the subcontinent. Surprising. If the figures I've read are near accurate its arguably the biggest since the Holocaust yet so little is made about it.

Its just such a sad sad story no matter what way you look. So so easily avoided.

It wasn't millions, the death toll was between 200k-300k and that includes both sides, you need to remember that in a Civil war the death toll includes people that died on both sides - non-bengalis and bengali loyalists. Also the Bengal is the most densely populated region in the world, it's a very small land mass and at that time had a population of over 70 millions, this huge population density is a big reason why there was such a big death toll and why usually the Bengal region has such big death tolls in most events, like cyclones and floods where tens of thousands of people died, or the Bengal famine under the British where over 4 million people died. Even recently I think a building collapsed in Bangladesh killing over a 1000 people! This population density is underestimated behind the astronomical death tolls in the Bengal (not just this war).

I feel the pain of those who suffered through this ordeal. But what is more infuriating is the lack of recognition on both sides who did terrible things to the innocent civilians. My grandfather was a retired army officer who didn’t lay a finger on anyone was slaughtered by the mukti bahini. My uncles, who didn’t harm anyone were killed just because they spoke a different language. Similarly, there is a tendency in Pakistani hierarchy to downplay the discrimination that was systematically put in place from the creation of Pakistan leading up to the fall of Dhaka. When you try to impose a culture on other ppl you get a backlash. One should not forget that even today ppl mock others who are of dark complexion by calling them Bangali. This really tells a lot about the amount of racism that still exist in Pakistan against the ppl of Bangladesh. Honestly, I think that creation of Bangladesh was better for the ppl on both sides. I just wish that we could avoid the huge amount of bloodshed that took place in the process.

1971 bores me to death. So it happened like such things do in history. Don't see the point in crying about 1947 or 1971 every year. Time for us Pakistanis to get over this event.

Believe me the pain is nothing compared to the pain of the division of India. One united secular Mahabharat would have been the biggest force in world for all ages to come.

Bengalis had nothing in common with the rest of Pakistan and had zero connection, affiliation, they were always more closer to Hindus.

Sure Pakistan must take blame for their discriminatory attitudes and beliefs and general lack of disrespect towards Bengalis but Bengalis themselves to an extent did not help their cause by not being very loyal to Pakistan either. However the atrocities and rapes committed by the Pakistani army is a shameful war crime which should have been punished. Similarly the atrocities committed by the Mukti Bahini against West Pakistanis should also have been acknowledged

The split and disconnect bw the two nations was going to happen effectually, i only wish it had happened peacefully

Bengalis had nothing in common with the rest of Pakistan and had zero connection, affiliation, they were always more closer to Hindus.

Sure Pakistan must take blame for their discriminatory attitudes and beliefs and general lack of disrespect towards Bengalis but Bengalis themselves to an extent did not help their cause by not being very loyal to Pakistan either. However the atrocities and rapes committed by the Pakistani army is a shameful war crime which should have been punished. Similarly the atrocities committed by the Mukti Bahini against West Pakistanis should also have been acknowledged

The split and disconnect bw the two nations was going to happen effectually, i only wish it had happened peacefully

STOP referring to Bangladeshis as Bengalis.

It is insulting to them as they are a nation now and should be given the respect they deserve like anyone else.

It wasn't millions, the death toll was between 200k-300k and that includes both sides, you need to remember that in a Civil war the death toll includes people that died on both sides - non-bengalis and bengali loyalists. Also the Bengal is the most densely populated region in the world, it's a very small land mass and at that time had a population of over 70 millions, this huge population density is a big reason why there was such a big death toll and why usually the Bengal region has such big death tolls in most events, like cyclones and floods where tens of thousands of people died, or the Bengal famine under the British where over 4 million people died. Even recently I think a building collapsed in Bangladesh killing over a 1000 people! This population density is underestimated behind the astronomical death tolls in the Bengal (not just this war).

Even one death is more than enough.

Bangladeshi had nothing in common with the rest of Pakistan and had zero connection, affiliation, they were always more closer to Hindus.

How could East Pakistanis prove their loyalty towards Pakistan? By dumping their own Bengali culture and adopt the Arab-Persianized Urdu Culture? Why can't Bengali be one of the two official languages of Pakistan?

Mujib won the elections in 1971, why wasn't he handed power to rule the country? Was it the traitor East Pakistanis who prevented the peaceful transfer of Power to a Leader based in East Pakistan or were the West Pakistani Leaders and Generals greedy to hold on to power by unfair means?

Why couldn't the East Pakistan culture be more representative of the Pakistan rather than West Pakistan? Why would the East Pakistanis fit into the West Pakistani frame of Pakistani identity to prove their loyalty ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The mistake was made in 1947 itself. The subcontinent (plus eastern/western/southern flanks) should have split into more parts so that issues like Bangladesh, Kashmir, Indian North East, Balochistan, Jaffna, Rakhine State etc wouldn't have lingered on for so many years. The sudden pain would have been sharp but sometimes that is essential for long term peace and stability. We were never one country, our artificial integration was done by the British. So many races, ethnicities, languages, religions, tribes, more like Europe than just a few countries we have today.

Lt. Gen Sagat Singh Rathore, The real hero of the 1971 war.
His decision of crossing the dangerous Meghna to reach East Pakistan even though it was specifically forbidden by his senior General Arora proved to be a turning point in the war as it helped a much smaller Indian batallion to overpower a numerically superior Pakistan.

General OP Kaushik who took part in the 1971 war has written about him:

'General J S Aurora, the commander of the Indian forces in the East, asked General Sagat Singh to withdraw his troops who were on the move to Dacca -- but he refused.'
'He said, "Jaggi, over my dead body".'
'Therefore, I say the creator of Bangladesh was General Sagat Singh.'

India is and will always remain united no matter what some Urban Naxals from Tamilnadu secretly wish.

That's an emotional comment not grounded in reason. My comment explains why death tolls tend to be so high in the Bengal region.

Your comment is based upon an attempt to desensitize deaths by counting zeros; Mine in based upon the fact that as a Muslim, the death of another Muslim has the same weight as if all of us had been killed.

Your comment is based upon an attempt to desensitize deaths by counting zeros; Mine in based upon the fact that as a Muslim, the death of another Muslim has the same weight as if all of us had been killed.

I'm not desensitizing it, I'm putting things into perspective. I like to think rationally, not emotionally. Since you want to talk about morals, what about the lives of non-Muslims? Do they not matter?

I'm not desensitizing it, I'm putting things into perspective. I like to think rationally, not emotionally. Since you want to talk about morals, what about the lives of non-Muslims? Do they not matter?

In this context, we are talking about Muslims and it means a lot to me.

A large number of hindus,including members of my extended family were killed in 1971.

When analyzing 1971, don't forget Cyclone Bhola that struck in 1970 - (West) Pakistan's response to that only catalyzed what happened the following year.

East Pakistan/West Pakistan was a mistake, Bangladeshis are probably culturally closer to south India, while Pakistan is culturally closer to north India/Afghanistan depending where you live.

Better for both countries that Bangladesh was created, although my own personal opinion was that it should have reintegrated into India with Bengal becoming one state again.

East Pakistan/West Pakistan was a mistake, Bangladeshis are probably culturally closer to south India, while Pakistan is culturally closer to north India/Afghanistan depending where you live.

Better for both countries that Bangladesh was created, although my own personal opinion was that it should have reintegrated into India with Bengal becoming one state again.

Cap, Bangladesh is culturally closer to Bengal and portions of India's North East like Assam, Tripura.

South India is very different, there are more similarities with Sri Lanka than any other part of the subcontinent.

I don't think majority Indians would have wanted Bangladesh to reintegrate with India. The idea of absorbing a few million more Muslims into the country is unacceptable for the Indian state, their official wording and justification will be more diplomatic of course. Even today many Bengali Muslims are viewed with suspicion and called Bangladeshis in many parts of the country, sometimes even asked to get out of the country. Not denying illegal immigration to India but truth be told, there is no love between the people of the 2 countries. Even among large sections of Bangladeshis there is resentment for Hindus/Indians. I think India would prefer status quo and some level of control over Bangladesh's politics and economy. Similarly their people are happy with their own country, especially the army and political class.

But what you say may come true with global warming, Bangladesh being a low level country will have huge portions getting submerged underwater and at least they won't mind reintegrating with India when that happens.

Cap, Bangladesh is culturally closer to Bengal and portions of India's North East like Assam, Tripura.

South India is very different, there are more similarities with Sri Lanka than any other part of the subcontinent.

I don't think majority Indians would have wanted Bangladesh to reintegrate with India. The idea of absorbing a few million more Muslims into the country is unacceptable for the Indian state, their official wording and justification will be more diplomatic of course. Even today many Bengali Muslims are viewed with suspicion and called Bangladeshis in many parts of the country, sometimes even asked to get out of the country. Not denying illegal immigration to India but truth be told, there is no love between the people of the 2 countries. Even among large sections of Bangladeshis there is resentment for Hindus/Indians. I think India would prefer status quo and some level of control over Bangladesh's politics and economy. Similarly their people are happy with their own country, especially the army and political class.

But what you say may come true with global warming, Bangladesh being a low level country will have huge portions getting submerged underwater and at least they won't mind reintegrating with India when that happens.

Pardon my ignorance on India's geography, anyway the point being that East Pakistan was culturally a lot different to West. Despite the creation of Pakistan, truth is that culture has always been far ingrained in Pakistanis than religion, in fact it even colours religion, the Pakistani version is quite different to that in the middle east, or at least it used to be.

But in any case, I don't view the loss of Dhaka as tragic at all, it was inevitable as Pakistan wasn't, and still isn't a country which puts religion above culture.

It was inevitable but the means to the end were unacceptable.

Independence was always on the cards but had there not been a civil war, there would've been a lot more mutual respect between India/Pakistan/Bangladesh........and my father wouldn't have been orphaned at the age of nine.

Bangladesh should never have broken off from Pakistan. It was and should still be part of Pakistan.

War was jusrified. You don’t just give up parts of your country like that. However that’s fine and Bangladesh made their bed and they can lay in it.

Why on earth would they be loyal to a nation that tried to wipe out their linguistic and cultural identity, impose an alien culture on top of that, underfunded them, gave little investment and then, to top it off, systematically flew in thousands of undercover soldiers and evicted all foreign journalists in an attempt at cleansing the place?

Why would anybody profess loyalty to that.

Why on earth would they be loyal to a nation that tried to wipe out their linguistic and cultural identity, impose an alien culture on top of that, underfunded them, gave little investment and then, to top it off, systematically flew in thousands of undercover soldiers and evicted all foreign journalists in an attempt at cleansing the place?

Why would anybody profess loyalty to that.

That was all in retaliation. You got the chronology mixed up.

Back