Remembering Moeen Akhtar

inna lillah wa inna 'ilayhi raji'un.

VERY VERY sad news. Still can't believe that he is no more. :(
HUGE loss for the country. Such stars are seldom born.
He was a LEGEND in the truest sense of the term. He will always be missed and remembered.

CDGK to name road after Moin Akhtar

Karachi: Mourning the loss of celebrated comedian and actor Moin Akhtar at his funeral on Saturday, Acting Administrator and District Coordination Officer (DCO) Karachi Muhammad Hussain Syed has announced that the man who brought laughter to the lives of millions will be immortalised in the city’s landscape, as the CDGK will name a major road or a park after the legendary actor.

Acknowledging that a simple road sign could not possibly be enough to show the city’s admiration and gratitude for Akhtar’s contributions to the country, Syed said on Saturday that the CDGK would take more steps to ensure that the memory of this extraordinary Pakistani prevailed for generations to come.

The DCO paid his respects on the sad occasion along side Malir Town Administrator Dr Mukhtar Palijo and Director Media Management Bashir Sadduzai. He also laid a floral wreath on Akhtar’s grave on behalf of the citizens of Karachi.

Syed said that Moin Akhtar was not only an exceptional actor, but a fine human being as well; adding that the late actor was truly a national treasure as well as well as one of Karachi’s most precious assets.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=43269&Cat=4&dt=4/24/2011

Kisi celebrity ki death par itna dukh nahi hua jitna moin akhtar k liye hua

Still saddened by his death.

Here is one of the best tribute pieces written on Moin saab after his death.

http://www.thefridaytimes.com/29042011/page26.shtml

In the wake of the World Cup, some intellectuals derisively noted that the notion of the Pakistani identity was limited to supporting a cricket team.

It needed the death of a colossus to refute this claim: the unexpected demise of Moin Akhtar last week transformed the moribund and mostly abstract conversations about Pakistani identity into eulogies for a society’s lived experience.

All of a sudden, generations were speaking to one another about the various arcs of his career and the influence of his numerous incarnations on their outlook at key moments in time. We began to take stock, too, of how a few brave souls had carried forth the vulnerable torches of intellectual honesty, self-examination and humane compassion in an era of brutal censorship and had then continued to craft coherent critiques of society in the succeeding era of chaos.

We can see now that comedy in the hands of geniuses like Moin Akhtar was more than a diversion from our mundanities; it was also the place for philosophical inquiry. And this place was shared, born of a mutual imagination and memory, a stage that a few good people had carefully built for the rest of us to inhabit with our minds.

Moin Akhtar began his career in Karachi, performing in variety shows and school and university events, gaining fame as a skilled impersonator. He first appeared on PTV in 1970. However, for most of the decade, he didn’t get the break his talent deserved. That changed in the 80s, with Moin forming a legendary partnership with Anwar Maqsood and Bushra Ansari in a number of shows, such as ‘Showtime’. By the 90s, he was a staple on the Eid day transmission, appearing in either teleplays, series or stage shows. The media boom of the last decade reunited him with Anwar Maqsood, and the two created another legendary show in ‘Loose Talk’.

Moin Akhtar was part of a generation that literally created a castle in the sky. This was the institution of television in Pakistan. It came about in an era which coincided with the demise of the cinema and the strangulation of popular art forms like poetry and prose. TV became the forum where Pakistan’s greatest minds coalesced, and they made sure that art continued to reach out across as many differences as possible.

There are some people who, possessed by vague notions of cultural purity (and chastised perhaps by Anu Malik’s life’s work), denounce ‘plagiarism’ in art. Aside from the contemporary mantra that insists that everything is a remix, the allegation also ignores the fact that transporting ideas from one culture into another is an innovation in and of itself.

So with that in mind, let us examine three of Moin Akhtar’s most memorable performances. Each is distinct from the others and marks not just the range of his acting talent but also his ability to transcend genres and translate his genius across a spectrum of social possibilities.

Rozy

Simply speaking, Rozy was a remake of a Dustin Hoffman film, or the inspiration for Mrs. Doubtfire. And yet Rozy was a lot more than a rom-com with the lead in drag. It was in parts a commentary on gender relations, a questioning of the duplicity of social relationships as well as what it means to be an actor. The format for the show was the teleplay, a genre perhaps particularly unique to its specific time, which was closer to films and theater than it was to television. The acts unfolded more rapidly than the episodes of a TV serial, and the narrative was not as elaborate. Its shooting also went from the conventional three-camera studio setup to handheld and free movement. All of these particular changes allowed for the full range of Moin Akhtar’s dramatic range to come through: there was the actor who yearns to do justice to his craft, the lover who remains frustrated by fate, the charming and deliberately coy Rozy who exudes both naivety and charm in equal measure...

Throughout the show, Rozy delivered a series of ripostes about men who treat women badly in our society. But Moin Akhtar always did this sudden switch from satire to slapstick in a coquettish way.The role is a testament to his incredible acting abilities; that he could make this character work within the realms of the censor board’s Orwellian gaze was even more stupendous. Amazingly, he attained his comic pitch here without resorting at any time to thelasciviousthumkas or jhatkas of popular cross-dressers.

Bakra Qiston Pay

In many ways, this stage show was for Pakistani comedy fans what the film ‘Heat’ became for fans of Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino. The two giants of comedy, Umar Sharif and Moin Akhtar, together in one big super hit!

This role was a departure from Akhtar’s usual character types. It was a stage show and demanded a more popular kind of humour, as well as greater physicality and virtuosity. More importantly, it brought forth one of Moin Akhtar’s greatest assets – his showmanship. It was this that made him stand out as distinct from not just his contemporaries but perhaps all other Pakistani comedians. Because while comedians such as Rangeela or Nanha made use of their bodies, or those such as Umar Sharif and Ismail Tara made use of their boisterousness, Moin Akhtar retained a certain silkiness, a texture and layering which suggested a serious actor. That he could channel this almost restrained style into the larger-than-life dynamics of the stage show is unprecedented, and perhaps impossible to emulate.

The format also allowed Akhtar to return to the stand-up routines in which he did his renowned impersonations. In one particular sequence, where he goes from a menacing Mustafa Qureshito a garrulous Tariq Aziz and a host of cinematic icons in between, what stands out is the ease with which he inhabits each character and his flawless transition from one matinee idol to another. Before people had channels to change, they had Moin Akhtar.

Bakra Qiston Pe was a hugely influential show, spawning a number of sequels and a score of legendary one-liners. And perhaps none became as symbolic of the show’s blistering irreverence than the iconic: ‘Bhudda ghar pe hai?’

Loose Talk

For aficionados of the Anwar Maqsood - Moin Akhtar team, ‘Loose Talk’ might not seem the best example of their work. ‘Studio Dhai’ and ‘Showtime’ are much better examples.

But this was the show where Maqsood and Akhtar connected with the ‘media boom’ generation. The show followed the same old style: Anwar Maqsood playing the straight-faced interviewer and Moin Akhtar donning a fantastical everyman character. But where it departed was its sheer length – over 400 episodes - and the fact that both men chose to expand the kinds of characters they explored. While his PTV shows examine generalized stereotypes, the characters Akhtar embraced in ‘Loose Talk’ became more specific caricatures. He no longer played just a madman in one episode; he was a madman addicted to cricket. He wasn’t just a failing author; he was the nihilist addicted to narcotics.

And herein lies the testament to Moin Akhtar’s versatility. Every one of his characters stands on its own, captured in a myriad of mannerisms and utterances. I’ve not seen every episode, but I’ve yet to see one where the character feels like a derivative of another. And legend has it that the shows were performed extempore, without the aid of scripts! When you watch the shows with that in mind it seems scarcely believable, for each of Moin Akhtar’s characters speak extremely particular truths that seem to be the fruits of a painstakingly precise scripting.

The death of an accomplished artiste is always a loss to his world. But in Moin Akhtar’s case it is bigger: what we have lost here is a sensibility and so an era.

We must appreciate now that we had someone who took on the task of holding together our fragile selves, someone who provided us with phrases, gestures and ideas with which to create a tapestry of our own characteristics. In that sense Moin Akhtar’s career is a universe of our shared identity, something he infused with life.

Can't believe its been two years since Pakistan lost one of its most versatile personalities.

May ALLAH (SWT) forgive any and all of his shortcomings not matter how big or small and grant him the highest ranks of jannah. Aameen!

Really Miss him my most favorite actor ever. :(

May Allah (SWT) grant him eternal peace and happiness and the highest place in Jannat. Aameen

Was leagues above Umar Sharif and in a totally different class.

He could often be very annoying at times. I was no fan of his or other so called comedians. Nanna-Ali Ejaz combo in old Pak movies was good though.

Best sub continental comedian was Munawer Zareef - class apart from anyone. To this day everyone copied him. Moin Akhtar was very good also one of his jokes he used to tell was performed by Amitabh Bachan in film Quli. Mixng of radio stations for cooking and excecise program.

Legend. Meet him when i was 13-15 years old at a dinner in dubai. Absolute gentleman and a very serious/wise personality.

“April is the cruelest month,” wrote Elliot, and that hits too close to home. Every year, this month returns with a periodic reminder of a loss that left a void so hollow, no artist can ever compensate for it.

Think of shoes so big you can’t even try on, let alone fill, a legend you can’t even imagine standing next to, let alone feeling small in the presence of. Think of the best comedy you heard recently, now giggle in despair because you can’t even compare it to the laughter one man brought to a country of millions back in the 80s and 90s. It’s been ten years since Moin Akhtar left us; a decade to our greatest loss to laughter.

A rare stalwart of his time, Akhtar rose above the often disliked ‘sleazy’ comics of stage and built a legacy that was classy and timeless at the same time. So timeless that even today, old clips of Akhtar saying ‘Hamary abba Harmonium bajatay thay’ turn into memes that are being shared wildly not just in Pakistan but India as well.

His pair with the legendary Anwar Maqsood is still the best pairing of our television’s history and although it wasn’t a romantic one, romance would fall deaf when compared to the rib-tickling chemistry of these two.

From what us 90s kids have heard, passing the censor board of that time – with the kind of jibes that none would dare take on national television against a regime as strict as Ziaul Haq’s – required a certain kind of wit and brilliance. And if Maqsood was that wit, Akhtar was that brilliance.

His partner in crime, the Thelma to his Louise, Maqsood was so close to Akhtar that he finds it extremely easy yet incredibly hard to talk about his loss. “It is difficult for me to say anything about Moin, while it is the easiest thing in the world to sing praises for the people we like,” Maqsood told The Express Tribune.

In a short voice note, Maqsood struggled to tuck away his emotions about Akhtar, who he felt he can write the world about but can’t find the strength to. “I have a lot to say about Moin which I haven’t as yet. We worked together for 32 years; 32 years I wrote for him. And the way Moin delivered whatever I wrote, no one can.”

Maqsood said that despite being asked many times to resume his famous ‘Loose Talk’ series of sketches, he never agreed because it is simply impossible. “There’s no one in my eyes who can replace Moin; whether my script is serious or comic, Moin would always do justice to it.”

He went on to the claim that there hasn’t ever been a better artist than Akhtar in both India and Pakistan. “Hindustan or Pakistan men Moin se bara adakaar menay nahi dekha. What timing, what delivery, I stopped writing because Moin was Moin.”

On an emotional note, Maqsood concluded, “Meray liye tou Moin aj bhi hai, aksar meray kamray men aakay beth jaata hai, or meray kaaghaz cheen ke kehta hai ‘kya likh rahay ho?’ Phir phenk deta hai, kyunke unmen Moin ka naam nae hai [Moin is still alive for me today. He comes into my room and sits next to me, snatching my papers he asks, ‘what are you writing?’ Then he throws them away because his name is not in them].”

Maqsood’s wit and comic timing have definitely refined with age but the Gandalf of Pakistani TV feels alone, if not unaccompanied. And that solicitude is not chosen, it’s the sheer absence of Moin Akhtar.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/229632...isit-anwar-maqsood-on-his-immortal-friendship

An amazing man who was a supremely gifted performer.

I first came to know of him in the renown drama Baqra Qishton Pe, in which he repeatedly upstaged Umar Sharif - no mean feat.

Thereafter, I saw him compere a variety of stage shows and I was always immensely impressed with how he carried himself. A stylish, debonair man who was extremely articulate, eloquent and erudite with his words.

May Allah AW forgive his sins, amplify his good deeds and grace him an abode in highest realms of jannat..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf3pOAAahNg
Moin Akhtar's take on Bengali cricket spectators

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG06e8GWws
Dilip Kumar, Sunil Dutt, Mohammad Ali et al in conversation with Moin Akhtar

I happened to chance on this video yesterday and it was an absolute delightful viewing experience. I've seen snippets of this in the past but this is the whole 70 minute version. It features Dilip Kumar, Sunil Dutt and a gala of Pakistani celebrities in conversation with Moin Akhtar Sahab.

Just those names would have drawn me in but the chaste Urdu one hears throughout the discussion was an added bonus. An absolute must watch if you haven't seen it; I highly recommend it.

Both Umar Sharif and Moeen are extremely overrated cause they spoke and did thier comedy in urdu, the lingua franca of the elites after English

Anyone with even a samblnse of Pakistani Punjabi theater would know

Hell those 2 don't even break in to the top 10 of Pakistan's funny men

It's infuriating to see tham taking away all the lime light from actually talented people (or I guess more talented than tham) just because the elites have a thing for only prompting one language doesn't mean they're the best Pak has to offer

Infact far from it

Munawar zarif, Amanullah, babu baral, Mastana, Sohail Ahmed,Tariq Teddy

All better than those 2, it's a shame that everyone goes crazy over those 2 but the fact is they were far from being the funniest, wittiest comedians Pak had to offer

Thier only barrier was the language barrier despite punjabi being the language of the majority of the country!
A disgrace really

Both Umar Sharif and Moeen are extremely overrated cause they spoke and did thier comedy in urdu, the lingua franca of the elites after English

It's infuriating to see tham taking away all the lime light from actually talented people (or I guess more talented than tham) just because the elites have a thing for only prompting one language doesn't mean they're the best Pak has to offer

Infact far from it

All better than those 2, it's a shame that everyone goes crazy over those 2 but the fact is they were far from being the funniest, wittiest comedians Pak had to offer

Thier only barrier was the language barrier despite punjabi being the language of the majority of the country!
A disgrace really

Nikke pai (I'm assuming you're a lot younger than I) a word of advice - always keep your words sweet, that way they're easier to swallow when the time eventually comes. And in my experience it almost does come back to bite.

Moin Akhtar passed away a long time ago; there's nothing to be gained by dragging his name into issues which may niggle us.

I concur with some of the points you raise but this isn't the thread to vent on such issues. Moreover you'll get no argument from me where Umar Sharif is concerned - he's virtually survived of the reputation he built up in the 80s, when he was half decent.

Please don't be offended and I hope you take the above as an elder brother's well intentioned advice.

Last edited:

Infact far from it

A disgrace really

There is some truth to what you are saying but to say they are not even in the top 10 is a huge exaggeration. I can agree that Umar Sharif is overrated. Not because he is not funny but because his comedy was very crude and only appealed to certain segments of society. He was never able to diversify to a more universal audience.

If one flips your argument, then being popular in Punjab despite doing all his work in Urdu is part of the reason Moin Akhtar is one of the best. You will find Moin Akhtar fans in every province of Pakistan. Maybe the fact that people like Amanullah and Babbu baral are not as well-known outside Punjab reflects the fact that their brand of comedy did not have a universal appeal and relied on tropes and references too specific to audience of a certain background. In that sense they are somewhat like Umar Sharif.

Moin Akhtar is also different because he was not only a standup/theatre comic but also a great drama actor and one of the best hosts Pakistan has ever had. The same cannot be said of the other names you mentioned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aIG06e8GWws
Dilip Kumar, Sunil Dutt, Mohammad Ali et al in conversation with Moin Akhtar

I happened to chance on this video yesterday and it was an absolute delightful viewing experience. I've seen snippets of this in the past but this is the whole 70 minute version. It features Dilip Kumar, Sunil Dutt and a gala of Pakistani celebrities in conversation with Moin Akhtar Sahab.

Just those names would have drawn me in but the chaste Urdu one hears throughout the discussion was an added bonus. An absolute must watch if you haven't seen it; I highly recommend it.

Bollywood stars of yesteryear were so elegant and polished. They had some real charm and originality about them. The current lot seem just too keen to ape the west.

Moin Akhtar is also different because he was not only a standup/theatre comic but also a great drama actor and one of the best hosts Pakistan has ever had. The same cannot be said of the other names you mentioned.

Precisely this GGji. I've always viewed Moin Sahab as more of an actor; that he could also do stand up comedy only adds to his lofty status. He was a multifaceted performer who could effortlessly swing between a variety of disciplines.

There is some truth to what you are saying but to say they are not even in the top 10 is a huge exaggeration. I can agree that Umar Sharif is overrated. Not because he is not funny but because his comedy was very crude and only appealed to certain segments of society. He was never able to diversify to a more universal audience.

If one flips your argument, then being popular in Punjab despite doing all his work in Urdu is part of the reason Moin Akhtar is one of the best. You will find Moin Akhtar fans in every province of Pakistan. Maybe the fact that people like Amanullah and Babbu baral are not as well-known outside Punjab reflects the fact that their brand of comedy did not have a universal appeal and relied on tropes and references too specific to audience of a certain background. In that sense they are somewhat like Umar Sharif.

I know Moon fan adore the guy as at the day of his death even our household was feeling really deppressed

Only other guy whose death affected the nation like Moin was JJ so like I know he was respected by everyone around the country

If I was questioning the guys legacy the day after his death than yeah ofcourse I would have been wrong but it's been around a decade now since his death

I think a conversation can happen on that front, the wounds are not "raw"

Even though I fully acknowledge the place he holds in the heart of Pakistanis

Hell I can't question the guys legacy in my damn household!
So I fully know what he represents

But as a pure funny man no
Without a shodow of a doubt he is most certainly overated (not to the extent of Umar Sharif but still overrated)

Hell even when doing comedy in urdu the comedians I mentioned were funnier (although by that criteria I'll remove some of the guys in my list as thier comedy leaned too much on Punajbi vocabulary)

Bollywood stars of yesteryear were so elegant and polished. They had some real charm and originality about them. The current lot seem just too keen to ape the west.

That's my sentiment too; when that generation spoke, one would stop and listen intently and be completely enthralled. Whenever I spot the current crop and they open their halwa hole, I switch channels.

^
Was for [MENTION=154551]Pascal Gambit[/MENTION]

Infact far from it

A disgrace really

That’s because punjabi style comedy is basically abt juggat bazi and majority of punjabi stage dramas were geared for a certain audience with those obscene dances and vulgarity. Same can be said for the whole lollywood film industry, which couldn’t keep upto the changing standards of its audience. Babbu babral and likes are neither too popular nor that well known outside punjab.

There is a reason why Moin Akhtar and Umer sharif are so well regarded and have a much wider reach (even in India ppl are well aware of them).

I believe some of the guys I mentioned did better material even when they were doing it in urdu
They were natural comedians

And by all measures in mainstream umar sharif is highly regarded despite being an ok comedian and reaching only a certain section of the population

And on the other hand Amanullah, Babau baral, Sohail ahmad

were a lot funnier and cammunicated in the language of the majority of the population but despite that in a mainstream media they're not as respected as say an umar Sharif

For Moin maybe one can give him leevay as in he was multi talented wasn't good enough to match tham in pure comedy bit brought a lot too the table

And on the other hand Amanullah, Babau baral, Sohail ahmad

were a lot funnier and cammunicated in the language of the majority of the population but despite that in a mainstream media they're not as respected as say an umar Sharif

Sort of agree with you on that. I think part of the issue was they were very focused on theater and never got as much exposure on national television in the PTV days. I can’t claim to be too familiar with their work simply because I don’t remember seeing them on TV growing up. Being on TV was a huge advantage in those days as you pretty much had a captive audience. In the 80’s/90’s, getting a vhs tape of Umar Sharif vs getting a vhs tape of the names you mentioned was always going to be a losing battle for the Punjabi speaking comedians competing for an audience outside punjab.

Arguably Pakistan's greatest ever stage and TV comedian.

The great thing about Moeen Akhtar was that he could make people laugh without using any swear words or foul language or without degrading women or passing sexist remarks about them. His mimicry and parody was just awesome. Just watch showtime and studio 2.5 among many other shows.

Moin Akhtar (educated humour) vs Umar Sharif (street or chichora humour)

Sohail Ahmad 'Azizi' is the best among the current Pak lot of comedians

That’s because punjabi style comedy is basically abt juggat bazi and majority of punjabi stage dramas were geared for a certain audience with those obscene dances and vulgarity. Same can be said for the whole lollywood film industry, which couldn’t keep upto the changing standards of its audience. Babbu babral and likes are neither too popular nor that well known outside punjab.

There is a reason why Moin Akhtar and Umer sharif are so well regarded and have a much wider reach (even in India ppl are well aware of them).

It seems you haven't watch the comedians I have mentioned

Cause what you're repeating is a stereotype and not capture thier whole "work"

A-comedy is making of you or someone
B- Amanullah barely made fun of any individual it was more about situations and him describing people and thier attitudes in a funny way
C- You sure Umar sharif didn't make fun of people - you need to watch his comedy he probably did more "jugte" than Punjabi theater artists if not at equal level
D- Sohail Ahmad is a conservative guy opposed to the theater you're describing so most of the time he wasn't involved in that scene
E- Most of these characters had thier peak in the 80s when no one in Pakistan could dare do any vulgar ,obscene theater so in that sense this argument that mojarity of the country didn't connect due to obsenity is false

And mojarity of the country did connect to tham, theater is probably the most famous entertainment of Punajab (which is the majority of the country)

So both working class and middle class watch these guys and they're extremely popular

Who can't go to theater watch em on TV, most households watch thier standup everyday

TV experience for men in Punjab is news, theater
So they're extremely popular thier disadvantage is (or was) lack of representaion by the mainstream media who chose to focus on the Urdu guys as they seemed more palatable

Despite there being no difference (outside of comedic talent) between the comedy of Babau baral, Amanullah, Sohail Ahmad. and Umar sharif

Outside of language

F- Honestly who cares about if Indians think they're funny or not?

Thier most populous state/region is hindi speaking region so they'll naturally connect with the urdu comedians due thier similarities in language
and hindi is thier default mainstream because of that (I know it carries from state to state but we can call bollywood the mainstream indian film industry -so in some ways hindi is mainstream indian)

But our reality is different our default mainstream should have Punajbi due to it being spoken by the majority of the country but our mainstream is urdu

My argument is that mainstream doesn't capture majority of Pakistan

So our overating of those two owes a lot to our "false" mainstream

and not nesscarily thier comedic talent or thier ability to reach majority of the Pakistanis

Arguably Pakistan's greatest ever stage and TV comedian.

The great thing about Moeen Akhtar was that he could make people laugh without using any swear words or foul language or without degrading women or passing sexist remarks about them. His mimicry and parody was just awesome. Just watch showtime and studio 2.5 among many other shows.

Moin Akhtar (educated humour) vs Umar Sharif (street or chichora humour)

Sohail Ahmad 'Azizi' is the best among the current Pak lot of comedians
This is my problem [MENTION=154336]golagunda[/MENTION] [MENTION=154551]Pascal Gambit[/MENTION]

If y'all were calling him the greatest entertainer Pak had to offer than yeah I'll most certainly agree with you

But people rate him as the greatest "comedians" and "stand up guy" which I wholeheartedly disagree with

This my bone to pick

Call him a great entertainer fine, but he wasn't the greatest comedian

This is my problem [MENTION=154336]golagunda[/MENTION] [MENTION=154551]Pascal Gambit[/MENTION]

If y'all were calling him the greatest entertainer Pak had to offer than yeah I'll most certainly agree with you

But people rate him as the greatest "comedians" and "stand up guy" which I wholeheartedly disagree with

This my bone to pick

That is a fair assessment and I wouldnt completely disagree with it.

However, if you ask my personal opinion, I would still rate Moin Akhtar to be on par with the other names you mentioned even as a pure comedian. I feel these comedians occupied different niches and shaped their comedy based on their target markets. For me Moin Akhtar had the ability to do the type of pure standup comedy/mimicry that people like Umar Sharif or Amanullah did. He just never felt the need to focus on that aspect because he was so successful doing more ‘refined’ mainstream comedy with the likes of Anwar Maqsood. To give a weird cricket analogy, Wasim Akram had enough talent with the bat to become a true allrounder but his bowling was so good that he never focused too much on his batting. The converse, however, is not true. I don’t think Umar Sharif or Amanullah had the ability to do the brand of comedy that Moin Akhtar did. A bit like how Shahid Afridi was a superstar but we all know he simply did not have the ability to become a genuine batsman. He had his own specific six hitting niche. Infact Umar Sharif has been trying to go mainstream as a tv show host for the last 20 years and miserably failing despite all the support of the mainstream media.

It seems you haven't watch the comedians I have mentioned

Cause what you're repeating is a stereotype and not capture thier whole "work"

A-comedy is making of you or someone
B- Amanullah barely made fun of any individual it was more about situations and him describing people and thier attitudes in a funny way
C- You sure Umar sharif didn't make fun of people - you need to watch his comedy he probably did more "jugte" than Punjabi theater artists if not at equal level
D- Sohail Ahmad is a conservative guy opposed to the theater you're describing so most of the time he wasn't involved in that scene
E- Most of these characters had thier peak in the 80s when no one in Pakistan could dare do any vulgar ,obscene theater so in that sense this argument that mojarity of the country didn't connect due to obsenity is false

And mojarity of the country did connect to tham, theater is probably the most famous entertainment of Punajab (which is the majority of the country)

So both working class and middle class watch these guys and they're extremely popular

Who can't go to theater watch em on TV, most households watch thier standup everyday

TV experience for men in Punjab is news, theater
So they're extremely popular thier disadvantage is (or was) lack of representaion by the mainstream media who chose to focus on the Urdu guys as they seemed more palatable

Despite there being no difference (outside of comedic talent) between the comedy of Babau baral, Amanullah, Sohail Ahmad. and Umar sharif

Outside of language

F- Honestly who cares about if Indians think they're funny or not?

Thier most populous state/region is hindi speaking region so they'll naturally connect with the urdu comedians due thier similarities in language
and hindi is thier default mainstream because of that (I know it carries from state to state but we can call bollywood the mainstream indian film industry -so in some ways hindi is mainstream indian)

But our reality is different our default mainstream should have Punajbi due to it being spoken by the majority of the country but our mainstream is urdu

My argument is that mainstream doesn't capture majority of Pakistan

So our overating of those two owes a lot to our "false" mainstream

and not nesscarily thier comedic talent or thier ability to reach majority of the Pakistanis

What “linguistic majority” are you talking about?

Urdu is the lingua franca of Pakistan and almost everyone in Punjab understands it. Even many educated Punjabis prefer to conversate in Urdu instead of Punjabi.

It can’t be said the other way round. Not many people outside Punjab understand or speak Punjabi. Even the whole of punjab province isn’t necessarily Punjabi speaking (there also Siraiki and Hindko etc). This is the reason why all of Pakistani media (news, dramas, entertainment) is done in Urdu language.

This my bone to pick

He could do comedy but also plenty of other things and all equally competently. That was the point I and the other contributor were trying to make.

I've not seen everything or even a majority of Moin Sahab's output but he always left a good impression whenever I would chance upon him. I've seen him do stand-up, acting in dramas and compering programmes and he appeared equally comfortable in each of those guises.

I'm not really familiar with the domestic scene in Pakistan so I can't comment with any authority on whether he was better or worse than his contemporaries. Indeed, my exposure to Pakistani material is extremely limited but from what I've seen Moin Sahab always stood out from the pack. Of those who I've witnessed plenty were either a derivative or would resort to type but Moin had his own unique style and I appreciated that.

A great example of his talent and acting prowess was the long running series Loose Talk with Anwar Maqsood. I've seen innumerable episodes and his various performances elicit a whole spectrum of emotions from the viewer. That's a rare quality that not every artist possesses..

This my bone to pick

Well that might be your personal opinion and I respect that but don’t try and generalise it for everyone!

Quite frankly while growing up in Islamabad during the 80s and early 90s, I had not even heard of Amanullah or Sohail Ahmed.

We used to watch quality PTV shows back then and Moin Akhtar and Bushra Ansari were the star male and female comedians/entertainers respectively.

And how can you say Moin Akhtar was not a great comedian. He was multitalented. Have you even watched his shows such as studio 2.5

Amanullah Khan’s style of comedy cuts with the masses but not necessarily with educated punjabis. It is street humour.

Other class acts worth mentioning here are Alif Noon (The brilliant Kamal Ahmed Rizvi who wrote directed and acted in his own plays and Khawar ‘nanna’) and Uncle Jaidi ( Athar Shah Khan) and of course the entire cast of 50/50 esp Ismail Tara and Majid Jahangir

Google celebrates Moin Akhtar’s birthday

2262661-googleb-1640289761-502-640x480.gif

Karachi - On the 72nd birthday of world renowned Pakistani artist, host and comedian Moin Akhtar, Google has given him a wonderful tribute with his sketch (doodle).

https://proiqra.com/google-celebrates-moin-akhtars-birthday/

Back