[REPORT] Gary Kirsten unhappy with Pakistan players after the ICC T20 World Cup fiasco

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
According to sources from the Pakistan team, the Pakistan Head Coach has expressed his displeasure with the team regarding their abysmal performances in the T20 World Cup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Kristen and Azhar need to resign to save face from humiliation and good reputations. No professional coach should come to Pakistan and tarnish their reputation for some extra pocket money. Even PCB is not serious about winning trophies and select a guy (Babar) as a captain who only supports and care for his own group of players (ie Shadab) rather than deserving one (Abrar). Why should coaches gives their best shot when we have 60%+ expired or garbage players. Instead PCB should give chances to local coaches like Misbah/Saqlain/Waqar (head coach), majed (fielding coach) and selectors like Mohsin/Inzi, director like Miandad where no accountabilities prevail rather than tall talks.

Danish Kaneria on Gary Kirsten's role and Pakistan's early exit from T20 World Cup 2024 :

"Gary Kirsten Not A Magician"

"It's a shameful thing in the history of Pakistan cricket. You know it already; apart from cricket, these people have doomed every other sport. If you play with players' careers, then you have to face the repercussions",

"There are tons of players who have been making headlines with their performances but are not getting a chance to play for the national team. Players like Ahmed Jamal, and Shahnawaz Dahani who performed well are not getting opportunities. Muhammad Hasnain who was bowling well has been disappeared by these people. Batters like Kamran Ghulam, and Sahibzada Farhan have been constantly scoring loads of runs in the domestic circuit, where are these guys?”

"Sometimes ago, you decided to bring in a new coach, Gary Kirsten who helped India win the World Cup and cannot do wonders in just a few months. He is not a magician. In Pakistan cricket, politics is everything.
Gary will need a lot of time to understand the politics and accordingly, he will start working,"

"You are going to play the World Cup despite knowing the fact that it's in the USA, we have never played cricket here, and it requires a lot of time to get used to the conditions. Knowing all of that, Pakistan cricket went on to play England and Ireland where conditions are different in comparison to the USA. Still, you have the guts to refuse to play in warm-up games in the United States. Then you select the useless team and repeatedly depend on Babar-Rizwan, Babar-Rizwan, what is this?

Till when we will tolerate these names. Whenever any major tournaments come, they fail to create that impact. They only score runs against teams like Zimbabwe, and Ireland, and then they start comparing Babar Azam with Virat Kohli."

Source : NDTV

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really perplexed when a guy like Kirsten accepted this job. Particularly in the chaos PCB and PCT have been for a couple years. This gig is only hurting his reputation as a coach.

Maybe the money compelled him.

If he wants to make the real change. He has to come and work with players in Pakistan. Cannot be a fly and come in or zoom session type of coach.

We lost due to fitness. If Amir wasn’t tired he wouldn’t have bowled that bad super over. If Imad was fitter, he would have run better and closed out the game against India.

It is time to make a stand in terms of fitness once and for all. We are continually not maximising talents and in some case losing them like Azam and Sharjeel.

Every cricketer needs to be fit. Otherwise you don’t play.

I was really perplexed when a guy like Kirsten accepted this job. Particularly in the chaos PCB and PCT have been for a couple years. This gig is only hurting his reputation as a coach.

If he wants to make the real change. He has to come and work with players in Pakistan. Cannot be a fly and come in or zoom session type of coach.
So he will not stay in Pakistan to coach. Is he another online coach version like Micky?

At least Misbah and Waqar were serious about fitness even though they are not good coaches.

Good thing about Gary is either it's his way or the highway. PCB must concede the rightful space to him or he will exit soon from this political board with likewise players.
Don't think he will last long. Our players are way to powerful to drop them. Just like 2021-2023 PCB is buying some time. Australia tour still 5 months away. All those angers will be faded by then. Since fans don't expect much from this team, almost all the players will be retained in the name of experience. Naqvi is the other side of coin just like Babar. All his bloodbath talk is just public stunt.

Is that what he is doing? Is there anywhere we can confirm he is going to be coaching remotely?

It’s Chacha, he keeps creating drama behind people’s back! Bro spreading negative energy. From Close sources I heard that Chacha wants gary Gone! Because he doesn’t underetand his English. He wants Misbah…
Imagine if they did a reality Netflix series on the Pakistan team, it will be sheer comedy. One can actually imagine the scene, Gary having a go at the team for their poor performance and Chacha clapping loudly thinking he's being complimentary. Like an old episode of 'Mind Your Language'! I think Azhar Mahmood's primary job is being translator.

Gary Kirsten should not have said this in press. If he sees issues with team unity(Groupism), he needs to take this issue with PCB directly. Its a serious issue as Groupism leads to underperformance. Very poor from Gary.

G Kirsten better explain did he back the decision to re-appoint Babar as captain after Shaheen’s 1 series appointment?

He can’t blame the team to be divided if he had a role in this shambolic appointment
Dudeee!!! :facepalm:
He was appointed a month ago, How is he responsible foe the chaos before he joined??
Your post shows how weak memory of fans is.
Gary wont last till Champions trophy I am sure of it now

Gary has an uphill battle. I’m not sure how much power he's been given, but I’d be happy if it’s the Sethi-Micky type relationship where he’s an entrusted partner and has some free will to get things done and make decisions. I can’t wait until Gillespie takes a look at our test team 😂

Both Kristen and Azhar need to resign to save face from humiliation and good reputations. No professional coach should come to Pakistan and tarnish their reputation for some extra pocket money. Even PCB is not serious about winning trophies and select a guy (Babar) as a captain who only supports and care for his own group of players (ie Shadab) rather than deserving one (Abrar). Why should coaches gives their best shot when we have 60%+ expired or garbage players. Instead PCB should give chances to local coaches like Misbah/Saqlain/Waqar (head coach), majed (fielding coach) and selectors like Mohsin/Inzi, director like Miandad where no accountabilities prevail rather than tall talks.
Azhar who was part of waqar misbah group please. Azhar is as toxic as they come, he needs to he one of the first names erased

G Kirsten better explain did he back the decision to re-appoint Babar as captain after Shaheen’s 1 series appointment?

He can’t blame the team to be divided if he had a role in this shambolic appointment
Was kirsten appointed after Bobby had already been made captain?

Was kirsten appointed after Bobby had already been made captain?
It was all being done around the same time

Basit Ali who was definitely ITK at the time said Kirsten was also in favour of Babar as captain. I’ll find the video of his vlog and share it

I don't think Kirsten has made a remark on unity. It's just Pakistani masala. Everything is blamed on a lack of unity rather than a lack of skill.

"There's no unity in Pakistan team, They call it a team, but it isn't a team. They aren't supporting each other; everyone is separated, left and right. I've worked with many teams, but I've never seen such a situation" SAD (y)

"There's no unity in Pakistan team, They call it a team, but it isn't a team. They aren't supporting each other; everyone is separated, left and right. I've worked with many teams, but I've never seen such a situation" SAD (y)
I don't think it's a direct quote it's just something attributed to him.

I don't think I'd ever hear a non desi say this type of thing so I won't believe it till I hear it from Gary himself.

there were plenty o rumors of 2 major groups - Babar & Afridi & a small Rizzu faction !

Kirsten already setting up alibis when he invariably gets booted out of the job.

Well this is Kirsten's ultimate test. If he is really such a great coach and highly reputed, then there can be no better addition on your resume then turning around Pakistan's Cricket fortunes for the better.

It's not a direct quote and even authenticity is not clear.

Remember he will never make any such remarks as he is employed by the PCB.

He may have said it but there are no "quotes" as yet.
should be clear in a few hours .... that there are groups is no lie btw imo !

Well this is Kirsten's ultimate test. If he is really such a great coach and highly reputed, then there can be no better addition on your resume then turning around Pakistan's Cricket fortunes for the better.
For that PCB needs to give him a free hand and implement everything that he recommends. He needs to be there for at least next 3-4 years.

Also, he would realize it soon that the biggest hurdle is PCB not the players.

Please note the change in Post#1 - this is based on our own sources and is the most accurate reflection of what has happened.

Gary Kirsten should not have said this in press. If he sees issues with team unity(Groupism), he needs to take this issue with PCB directly. Its a serious issue as Groupism leads to underperformance. Very poor from Gary.
What no. I'm glad someone finally said it out in the open. Walking on eggshells to protect these players. I'm glad he said what he said. Now it's not a secret anymore

bobby , shaddy, ifti , usmankhan

rizwan, abrar, ayub, fakhar, , abbas

shaheen, imad, rauf, amir

For that PCB needs to give him a free hand and implement everything that he recommends. He needs to be there for at least next 3-4 years.

Also, he would realize it soon that the biggest hurdle is PCB not the players.
PCB needs to keep corruption committe and find players extra earnings to spot the fixers through their other bank account of relatives.. otherwise players wont be serious...

A journalist has tweeted a denial by Kirsten.

Kirsten only denied issuing the statement in public. He said what he said to the team behind closed doors in a private chat with all the players. Someone inside the team has leaked his conversation with the team.

Unlike Mickey Arthur, Kirsten doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve, he keeps his emotions and immediate feelings to himself, he goes about his job calmly, silently and professionally but he really gives it to you during appraisal time and a lot of the players in the team are now realizing that he will not put up with their BS anymore unlike past coaches hence why these leaks are taking place.

I think you guys might have this wrong about Kirsten. He was never going to do anything prior to this world Cup except assess where we are and give input on current matters and performance. How could he? He only joined the team a few days before it started. Now he can comfortably say that the team is in a mess without blame for anything (he would be the first person anyone blamed if he somehow made any drastic changes).

I'm expecting him now to reassess and stamp his authority in a MEASURED approach. Nothing knee jerk. He's a calm character with a level head and a plan.

This is what you do in any underperforming team. Asses first giving input where needed and then make a plan.

The difficulty will come from the PCB and whether they listen to 'a foreigner' or whether they keep the same mentality that has frankly got us here. That will be his litmus test.

Kirsten only denied issuing the statement in public. He said what he said to the team behind closed doors in a private chat with all the players. Someone inside the team has leaked his conversation with the team.

Unlike Mickey Arthur, Kirsten doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve, he keeps his emotions and immediate feelings to himself, he goes about his job calmly, silently and professionally but he really gives it to you during appraisal time and a lot of the players in the team are now realizing that he will not put up with their BS anymore unlike past coaches hence why these leaks are taking place.
yes it was not a public statement.. its a leak from dressing room ... so many secrets will come out soon with thorough enquiry and punish culprits in jails and seize all their money

Lol a lot of players in the team are clearly seeing the writing on the wall, the PCB clearly is testing the public pulse, mood and preparing them for the invitable i.e. blood bath in the team. This would not have come out without PCB approval.

According to the V-log of a senior sports reporter

Kirsten will be back in Pakistan in a couple of weeks time where the PCB will give him full powers, authority on the team selection and the players he wants to discard and keep from the present lot, Pakistan's domestic players, U-19 players. It is now going to be back to the Mickey Arthur, Steve Rixon minimum fitness, nutrition fielding requirements for all the players i.e. these are the bare minimum standards, anyone who doesn't meet them regardless of who you are will not play going forward.

Kirsten is also in favor of Shan Masood as captain for Pakistan's white ball team. The PCB is also encouraging both Kirsten and Gillespie to cordinate and work together so that they are on the same page as far as team culture, fitness, nutrition and selection policies.

Kirsten will be back in Pakistan in a couple of weeks time where the PCB will give him full powers, authority on the team selection and the players he wants to discard and keep from the present lot, Pakistan's domestic players, U-19 players. It is now going to be back to the Mickey Arthur, Steve Rixon minimum fitness, nutrition fielding requirements for all the players i.e. these are the bare minimum standards, anyone who doesn't meet them regardless of who you are will not play going forward.

Kirsten is also in favor of Shan Masood as captain for Pakistan's white ball team. The PCB is also encouraging both Kirsten and Gillespie to cordinate and work together so that they are on the same page as far as team culture, fitness, nutrition and selection policies.
I would like to see this happen. Pakistan has some time before their next series, Kirsten has his work cut out. If he gets full power then what about Naqvi’s 7 man selection committee? Wahab has way too much power and needs to be given the boot. I’d like Kirsten and Gillespie to come in and perform a complete independent analysis including an evaluation of 30-40 players who are on the fringes of selection. Not just talent, but 1:1 interviews to asses their cognitive abilities, analytical skills etc., for example give the players a test consisting of say 10 questions of different in match scenarios and ask which shot they would play, which ball they would bowl etc. they need to take this whole thing down to the studs and build it back up.

Blah blah blah. The Political board needs to fix the core issue of school, club and domestic cricket. Until thats not fixed, you can keep twisting and chopping changing captains and coaches.

The base has gotten so rotten that mediocre talent with no match awareness or skills is constantly propped up. In ten years we will be at Zimbabwe level. We are currently at Bangladesh level.

Was a nice read until Shad Masood was mentioned. How can Kirsten implement all of those things when he isn’t selecting the captain on merit?

LOL what is so special about this statement?
Its obvious it was a shameful performance, no rocket science in seeing or saying that.

How can you take a team serious that keeps playing Shadab, Azam and Iftikhar. I mean its so pathetic that Shadab didnt even bowl in a couple of games. VS Ireland he bowled just 1 over and got smashed. The batting order changes every match. There is logic in the batting order, this while you had a Captain ruling for years!

The worst part is their attitude, roaming around like a bunch of tourists.

Imad’s group

Attachments

• 0778D660-2E18-47C7-A7B6-B4E1058A59E9.jpeg
    0778D660-2E18-47C7-A7B6-B4E1058A59E9.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 2
Wahab was brainless bowler. Too paindu at times. I never felt he had game awareness. I don't know what process was followed to select him as selector/manager etc.

Get rid of the selection panel, Wahab and Azhar. They picked an obese person and a non existent middle order.

They regard Shadab as a batter. Their judgement is poor.

Kirsten should have a direct link to the chairman with full authority on team selection across the board.

This is a 2-4 year piece of work. We are going to lose a lot of series be prepared but it will be worth it in the end.

Gary Kirsten tyring to get sacked to earn full compensation, yes the culture is rotten players are divided but you are assigned the job to fix all this and not to wash dirty linen in public

According to sources from the Pakistan team, the Pakistan Head Coach has expressed his displeasure with the team regarding their abysmal performances in the T20 World Cup.
What was Kirsten himself thinking, sending Imad Wasim and Shadab Khan at no.5.

Dumb coach who did no homework

Was a nice read until Shad Masood was mentioned. How can Kirsten implement all of those things when he isn’t selecting the captain on merit?

I will take a 30-35 averaging player who atleast makes competent decisions on the field over a 50 averaging paindu. Shan Masood has captaincy experience in first class cricket and Yorkshire. His captaincy in Australia (one of the toughest places to tour) was a welcome break from Babar's cluelessness.

I will take a 30-35 averaging player who atleast makes competent decisions on the field over a 50 averaging paindu. Shan Masood has captaincy experience in first class cricket and Yorkshire. His captaincy in Australia (one of the toughest places to tour) was a welcome break from Babar's cluelessness.
A player who adds no value to a team can never be a good captain. Whenever Pakistan loses, Shan Masood will be the first to face criticism. If a captain like Sarfraz Ahmed couldn’t maintain his place, there is no way Shan Masood can. It's unclear what benefit was seen when Pakistan lost 3-0, especially considering West Indies won a test against Australia right after the series.
Karachi kings finished at the bottom under his captaincy.

Never in a million years is this going to happen. No foreign coach has ever had a 100% dictatorial role. It invariably reduces PCB to a puppet cricket board which is never acceptable to PCB, least of all to Mohsin Naqvi.

If Kirsten tells PCB that he wants Babar Azam / Rizwan / Shadab out of the T20 team, I doubt PCB is acquiescing to that request.

'They call it a team, but it isn't a team': Furious Gary Kirsten blasts Pakistan​

NEW DELHI: Gary Kirsten, the head coach of the Pakistan cricket team, has expressed his deep disappointment and frustration with the team's performance in the ongoing T20 World Cup in the USA and West Indies.

In a scathing criticism, Kirsten stated that there is "no unity" within the team, and he has "never seen such a situation" throughout his extensive coaching career.

His candid remarks underscore the urgent need for the Pakistan cricket team to address the apparent lack of cohesion and unity within their ranks if they hope to bounce back from this disappointing campaign.

"There's no unity in Pakistan's team. They call it a team, but it isn't a team. They aren't supporting each other; everyone is separated, left and right. I've worked with many teams, but I've never seen such a situation," Kirsten said as per reports quoting a senior scribe.

According to sources cited by Geosuper.tv, Kirsten conveyed his dissatisfaction regarding the players' fitness levels. He also mentioned that the team's skill level is significantly lower compared to other teams worldwide.

Following Pakistan's loss against India, Kirsten attributed the team's defeat to subpar decision-making on their part.
"Disappointing loss, that's for sure," Kirsten had said.

"I knew 120 was not going to be an easy target. If India got only 120, it was always going to be not the easiest. But I think we had the game at 72 for 2 with six or seven overs left. Disappointing not to get across the line from the position we got ourselves into."

Never in a million years is this going to happen. No foreign coach has ever had a 100% dictatorial role. It invariably reduces PCB to a puppet cricket board which is never acceptable to PCB, least of all to Mohsin Naqvi.

If Kirsten tells PCB that he wants Babar Azam / Rizwan / Shadab out of the T20 team, I doubt PCB is acquiescing to that request.

Naqvi is fully supported by GHQ and Asim Munir. Both are not going anywhere till November 2025. The present players know full well they now finally have a fully empowered chairman who will not put up with their BS any longer hence why they are trying desperately via the media connections, political connections and threats to abandon Pakistan Cricket for franchise cricket to pressurize the PCB into avoiding taking any action against them but its not going to work anymore.

I remember when Rizbar fans would try to defend their mediocrity by saying that our team environment is better than ever. Well clearly that all was a lie

To me it seems like groupings are happening on a regional basis with the most powerful bloc being lead by Rizwan and Iftikhar. In order for us to move forward Kirsten must be given enough power to destroy that block and send all those players packing

I remember when Rizbar fans would try to defend their mediocrity by saying that our team environment is better than ever. Well clearly that all was a lie

To me it seems like groupings are happening on a regional basis with the most powerful bloc being lead by Rizwan and Iftikhar. In order for us to move forward Kirsten must be given enough power to destroy that block and send all those players packing
Yeah Karachi region is being lead by a sumo wrestler in Azam Khan. Karachi must be proud of him representing the region.

Naqvi is fully supported by GHQ and Asim Munir. Both are not going anywhere till November 2025. The present players know full well they now finally have a fully empowered chairman who will not put up with their BS any longer hence why they are trying desperately via the media connections, political connections and threats to abandon Pakistan Cricket for franchise cricket to pressurize the PCB into avoiding taking any action against them but its not going to work anymore.
November 2028*

The problem for PCB is that they have absolutely rubbish players in the domestic. The ones coming in are going to be worse than the current lot. So in the end, the pressure is still on PCB. If they do a massive clearout, Pakistan would probably start losing to Bangladesh. Although I don't mind it but the fans don't have the patience to sustain defeat after defeat and the current lot would be back.

Kirsten is new and doesn't know how Pakistan cricket works. He is a dummy coach and would realize it soon. Give it a few months.

You lost me at Iftikhar. The guy can barely cement his own batting position in the team. In one match he plays at 4 and in the other at 8. He definitely has no bloc nor the charisma to create one.

You lost me at Iftikhar. The guy can barely cement his own batting position in the team. In one match he plays at 4 and in the other at 8. He definitely has no bloc nor the charisma to create one.
He hates KPK players and thinks any rubbish from Karachi is better then anyone in Pakistan. He is right to an extent Azam Khan is definitely the fastest cricketer from any region in Pakistan.

Is this confirmed news? Nothing that is being said here comes across as Gary Kirsten’s personality to be honest. Even if he notices these things, I am 100% sure he will approach it differently and very professionally instead of giving a chak de India pep talk.

You would think so however it is important to look at the team as a whole.

Unfortunately most of the team is filled with low IQ players and as the saying goes "stupid attracts stupid". That's why it's not surprising to see the clout and power Ifti has over the team

Yeah Karachi region is being lead by a sumo wrestler in Azam Khan. Karachi must be proud of him representing the region.
We are proud of whoever represents our country no matter the region. You on the other hand take any opportunity to make discriminatory remarks against Karachi players and then justify it by calling me some kind of racist.

Fact is if you look through my post history I will barely mention anyone from KP but you will always reply to genuine criticisms of PCT by deflecting and making some back handed remarks about Karachities

November 2028*

The problem for PCB is that they have absolutely rubbish players in the domestic. The ones coming in are going to be worse than the current lot. So in the end, the pressure is still on PCB. If they do a massive clearout, Pakistan would probably start losing to Bangladesh. Although I don't mind it but the fans don't have the patience to sustain defeat after defeat and the current lot would be back.

Kirsten is new and doesn't know how Pakistan cricket works. He is a dummy coach and would realize it soon. Give it a few months.

Trust me, there is no significant difference bw the domestic players and the players playing in our national team. They need to be taught that they are not bigger than the game. The PCB needs to cancel their Nocs for the next few years to bring them back to earth and bring in players who have a lot more pride and hunger to represent Pakistan.

A player who adds no value to a team can never be a good captain. Whenever Pakistan loses, Shan Masood will be the first to face criticism. If a captain like Sarfraz Ahmed couldn’t maintain his place, there is no way Shan Masood can. It's unclear what benefit was seen when Pakistan lost 3-0, especially considering West Indies won a test against Australia right after the series.
Karachi kings finished at the bottom under his captaincy.

Preference of Shan Masood as the next white ball captain is a knee-jerk reaction to a serious problem. On merit, Shan has no justification to be in the team, let alone captain it. Pakistani fans tend to look back to the future and lobby for regressive ideas instead of forging ahead and looking towards the future. This is a promise example.

But Pakistan has to look boldly into the future if it wants to rescue its cricket from the abyss of demise.

India discarded all senior players after 2007 ODI WC debacle and appointed a young untested captain and rest is history. Pakistan can also try to do the same. If your openers won't come out to chase 18 in superover then i rest my case.

Gary was struck with an absolute reality. He never thought that things were so bad here. I hope he knows how to deal with this group because so far, I have no hopes from this team that anything will change.

Back