[Report] Rohit Sharma could miss the 2019 World Cup due to injury sustained during IPL

shaaik

First Class Star
Runs
Rohit Sharma held his right thigh and winced in pain. The severity of the injury is yet to be determined.

Rohit Sharma walked off from Mumbai Indian's practice session on the eve of their Indian Premier League encounter against Kings XI Punjab after suffering an injury on his right thigh and this could deal a body blow to India's chances at the ICC World Cup 2019.

The Mumbai Indians skipper was doing his training drills on April 9 at the Wankhede Stadium and it was during his running session that Rohit pulled up clutching his right thigh. Rohit was in agonising pain as he could not keep standing and subsequently collapsed himself to the floor. He could be heard wincing in pain as he held onto his head in agony.

The Mumbai Indians physiotherapist Nitin Patel rushed to attend to Rohit who lay on the ground in pain. He checked on the Indian opener, following which Rohit gingerly held himself up on his feet and limped off the ground. He did not take any assistance in climbing up the staircase of the Wankhede Stadium which leads to the dressing room.

Mumbai Indians has not released any statement yet regarding the extent or severity of the injury but it looks either a muscle injury or a hamstring pull. In case, Rohit has injured his hamstring, it is a cause of concern for the Indian team as these kind of injuries take time to completely heal. The worrying factor is that Rohit went down by himself without any sort of external contact which means that something is wrong within his body.

Rohit is an integral part of the Indian set up and is the vice-captain of the Indian limited overs side which is why everyone will be sweating over the severity of this injury. As is the protocol, the MI physiotherapist will now consult with the BCCI physiotherapist Patrick Farhart before taking any calls. This is not the first time an Indian player has been injured this IPL season as Jasprit Bumrah hurt his left shoulder in MI's opening match against Delhi Capitals. Thankfully on that occasion, Bumrah's injury was minor and he returned to action in the very next game.

Jasprit Bumrah

Jasprit Bumrah went down after the final ball of the 1st innings against Delhi CapitalsIANS
Sports scientists across the world believe that the intensity of a T20 game takes a heavier toll on players than any other format in cricket. The IPL is thus a very demanding tournament when one takes all the travelling into consideration too. Workload management had been a point of heavy discussion ahead of the IPL given its proximity to the World Cup and now this debate will gain further steam.

The World Cup which will be played in England and Wales begins on May 30. India will play its first match on June 5 against South Africa at the Rose Bowl in Southampton.

https://www.ibtimes.co.in/rohit-sha...ies-pain-limps-off-mi-practice-session-795604

@BhaagViruBhaag Look at this man, your worst fears could come true

It is better than him getting injured in the world cup. If he could not last 20 overs match without injuring himself, how could he apply himself in the world cup.

No problem India have enough quality batsman to replace Rohit in world cup.

@BhaagViruBhaag Look at this man, your worst fears could come true

I predicted 2-3 key players to get injured during IPL. Indian team depends on top 3 heavily. Dhawan is out of form and Kohli according to hardcore IPL fans like [MENTION=78894]RamLakhan[/MENTION] needs a break. It is pretty clear who want to see India perform badly in the world cup. Yes those are blind IPL lovers.

#ThankYouIPL :inti

Huge loss. His batting was needed by Mumbai Indians to reach the playoffs. Hope somehow he plays the remaining matches of IPL and then can take rest on some meaningless internationals.

:inti

Huge loss. His batting was needed by Mumbai Indians to reach the playoffs. Hope somehow he plays the remaining matches of IPL and then can take rest on some meaningless internationals.

:inti

What internationally do India play before WC?

India have no chance at the World Cup the ways things are going for us. Even SF spot looks unlikely.

IPL 2019: Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma sustains an injury during training session

After a long hit in the nets, the Mumbai Indians skipper Rohit Sharma was working out in the outfield when he was seen collapsing to the ground, clutching his right thigh.

In what could deal a big blow to Mumbai Indians and India’s World Cup squad, Rohit Sharma picked up an injury during Tuesday evening’s training session at the Wankhede Stadium, ahead of the IPL game against Kings XI Punjab.

After a long hit in the nets, the MI skipper was working out in the outfield when he was seen collapsing to the ground, clutching his right thigh.

Grimacing in pain, Rohit lay prone for quite a while as he was surrounded by members of the Mumbai Indians support staff. Helped by team physio Nitin Patel, he picked himself up and hobbled around the boundary rope, making a slow, painful walk to the dressing room. In between, he stopped and took a break, leaning on the electronic hoarding around the boundary for support, raising concerns the injury could be serious.

He then climbed the steps on the side of the visitors’ dressing room that are closer to reach the MI dressing room.

There was no update on the seriousness of the injury, but it looked like a hamstring problem. Depending on whether it is a strain or tear, hamstring injuries can take between two to six weeks to heal. From the Indian team’s point of view, the only consolation is there is enough time for the World Cup to recover.

The Indian selectors will name the World Cup squad on April 15. The World Cup begins on May 30 and India play their first match on June 5.

Ahead of the 2015 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand too, Rohit had suffered a hamstring niggle, missing three international games in the build-up. But he had recovered in time to contribute handsomely in India’s run to the semi-finals.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...ing-session/story-hmqjWEvmAB594psDuZy6GL.html

Will be a blow to India . Don’t see this Indian team going all the way

Rohit injured, Dhawan out of form, no settled number 4, dinosaur Dhoni still in the team, a very long tail (Bhuvi, Kuldeep, Shami and Bumrah).

What will go wrong next?

I predicted 2-3 key players to get injured during IPL. Indian team depends on top 3 heavily. Dhawan is out of form and Kohli according to hardcore IPL fans like [MENTION=78894]RamLakhan[/MENTION] needs a break. It is pretty clear who want to see India perform badly in the world cup. Yes those are blind IPL lovers.

#ThankYouIPL :inti

Could have happened anyways even if there was no IPL (if IPL is to be blamed for this!) India would have had their customary tour to Srilanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or WI during this time if there was no IPL (before IPL era in the early 2000s) Rohit would have captained the side and would have developed this injury during his meaningless marathon 150 or 200 against the minnows (Yes meaningless just like IPL).

I agree World Cup is a big event compared to anything and I want the best players and best teams to compete. But there should be some element of surprise in life as well with cricket just like raw mango (you don't know how it tastes - sour, sweet or savory until you bite it!) Who knows another in form player could grab the opportunity and perform well (just like how Kaluvitharana/Jayasuriya were the surprise factors for Sri Lanka in 1996. Perhaps its an opportunity for Shaw, and teams might have not prepared against him!)

Rohit Sharma or Dhawan or our Top 3 and the great Dhoni could not pass us over the line in 2015 WC or even the recent CT & T20 WCs (IPL didn't interfere then!). So its not that sky has fallen our head now and we have no hopes! At least we have enough players now with international exposure and don't have to depend on guys like Hemang Badani, Vikram Rathore, etc!

If Sharma is injured and misses the WC then they can simply pick Prithvi Shaw/Gill, hell maybe even try out Pant higher up.

India are blessed in the batting department.

If Sharma is injured and misses the WC then they can simply pick Prithvi Shaw/Gill, hell maybe even try out Pant higher up.

India are blessed in the batting department.

I cant deny the talent of the guys you have mentioned but they havent played much of international cricket and filling the shoes of a guy who not only has talent but has played more than 200 ODIs especially in such a big event is a big ask.

How to play in different pressure situations during the WC isnt going to be easy for any youngster especially the ones who are yet to play even 10 ODIs.

Though WC is still some time away, unless Rohit needs more than 6 weeks to recover, he should probably be fine by the WC.

Good news for India! He looks terribly out of form anyways and did I tell you about his overweight and no. of misfields these days? A much needed break! If Rahul continues his consistent performances along with the support of Mayank, I would happily take both Rahul and Mayank in the playing XI for the WC!

Oh my god! :((

What will our team do!

MI really really can't replace him. Who will captain us? Pandya, Pollard, Bumrah? Maybe Malinga can do the job.

Or he will be fine.

Could have happened anyways even if there was no IPL (if IPL is to be blamed for this!) India would have had their customary tour to Srilanka, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or WI during this time if there was no IPL (before IPL era in the early 2000s) Rohit would have captained the side and would have developed this injury during his meaningless marathon 150 or 200 against the minnows (Yes meaningless just like IPL).

I agree World Cup is a big event compared to anything and I want the best players and best teams to compete. But there should be some element of surprise in life as well with cricket just like raw mango (you don't know how it tastes - sour, sweet or savory until you bite it!) Who knows another in form player could grab the opportunity and perform well (just like how Kaluvitharana/Jayasuriya were the surprise factors for Sri Lanka in 1996. Perhaps its an opportunity for Shaw, and teams might have not prepared against him!)

Rohit Sharma or Dhawan or our Top 3 and the great Dhoni could not pass us over the line in 2015 WC or even the recent CT & T20 WCs (IPL didn't interfere then!). So its not that sky has fallen our head now and we have no hopes! At least we have enough players now with international exposure and don't have to depend on guys like Hemang Badani, Vikram Rathore, etc!

Are you an indian fan or a zimbabwe fan? You are such a delusional fan if you think Rohit can be replaced 1 month before the world cup. All teams take 4 years to build their world cup squad and here we have fans like you who think it is not a big thing lol. Stick to your IPL please. :inti

Are you an indian fan or a zimbabwe fan? You are such a delusional fan if you think Rohit can be replaced 1 month before the world cup. All teams take 4 years to build their world cup squad and here we have fans like you who think it is not a big thing lol. Stick to your IPL please. :inti

Come on man somebody can slip in their bathroom tub and get severely injured, don't blame IPL for everything! We can't plan and prepare always! If you think I am a Zimbabwe fan then let me tell that I was very happy for Zimbabwe's Neil Johnsons' performance in 1999 WC. He had debuted just 1 year prior (i.e., 1998) and won 3 MOM awards and it was so fascinating to see!

It looks as if I wished all these things to happen and all these players get injured! Neither me nor you are Gods here...

I don’t think it will matter much. He would have failed in England. Rohit is succeptible to inswing deliveries just like Finch early in the innings. That’s the reason his test career is flop. Shaw is an upgrade.

It is better than him getting injured in the world cup. If he could not last 20 overs match without injuring himself, how could he apply himself in the world cup.
During practice getting injured so why blame ipl. He could have been injured in practice a day before any world cup game.

Come on man somebody can slip in their bathroom tub and get severely injured, don't blame IPL for everything! We can't plan and prepare always! If you think I am a Zimbabwe fan then let me tell that I was very happy for Zimbabwe's Neil Johnsons' performance in 1999 WC. He had debuted just 1 year prior (i.e., 1998) and won 3 MOM awards and it was so fascinating to see!

It looks as if I wished all these things to happen and all these players get injured! Neither me nor you are Gods here...

Don't blame IPL?

Read the thread title again please :inti

Rohit Sharma could miss the 2019 World Cup due to injury sustained during IPL

And you are so brutal against Pandya (who was our years of preparation for a crucial position in the side) and you talk about building teams lol... And Rohit once upon a time was your kind of another favorite target (inconsistent and your axe would raise instantaneously!)

During practice getting injured so why blame ipl. He could have been injured in practice a day before any world cup game.

lol yeah you won't mind even if the whole indian team gets injured before the world cup as long as your nalasopara t20 league is going on perfectly. :inti

Don't blame IPL?

Read the thread title again please :inti

Rohit Sharma could miss the 2019 World Cup due to injury sustained during IPL

What's the deal? The reporters will report like it happened... If he got injured in his bathroom then will you demolish his house/hotel?

And you are so brutal against Pandya (who was our years of preparation for a crucial position in the side) and you talk about building teams lol... And Rohit once upon a time was your kind of another favorite target (inconsistent and your axe would raise instantaneously!)

Show me one post where I asked Pandya to be included in the indian team in the first place? And yeah don't forget to show me a post where Rohit Sharma was my target.

It is pretty predictable of you guys to make stuff up from your backside when you don't have anything to say. Just read your post again how desperately you are trying to defend IPL. Read the thread title again and he got injured during IPL so IPL will be blamed. You all will be crying when India is going to miss Rohit in the World Cup. :inti

lol yeah you won't mind even if the whole indian team gets injured before the world cup as long as your nalasopara t20 league is going on perfectly. :inti

I am strong believer that IPL has given that cushion of pool of players to pick! We at least 25+ players who can play international cricket... In the past, forget outside the playing XI, even the playing XI carried some passengers! Also the infrastructure for player's development and the financial security! If you are against this economic model then you should boycott whole cricket instead of just IPL and look for what areas the country needs development...

I am strong believer that IPL has given that cushion of pool of players to pick! We at least 25+ players who can play international cricket... In the past, forget outside the playing XI, even the playing XI carried some passengers! Also the infrastructure for player's development and the financial security! If you are against this economic model then you should boycott whole cricket instead of just IPL and look for what areas the country needs development...

lol at your pool of 25+ players. We are struggling to find 2 good middle order batsmen and here you can easily replace Rohit Sharma too? May be its high time you should boycott International Cricket because watching too many pyjama games have spoiled you. :inti

Sucks for India, although I'm envious of their plethora of batsman in domestics with great List A stats who could replace Sharma in a pinch if need be

Or KL Rahul who is in good form.

Rahul is an on/off type player. On his day he's a treat to watch but those are overshadowed by his inconsistent performances.

Saying that Kohli does like him so maybe you're right in that instance.

The reserve bench consists of players like shaw, pant, Raul and few capable others. In sports injury is a known risk. And who knows this could also be "injury of convenience" to take few games off but still get paid in ipl. Even if it is real injury, it could have happened after ipl in practice warmup games before the first world cup match. So it's just part and parcel of the game and fans should accept it and not keep crying about ipl bieng the satan's tournament

World cup will not be same without Rohit and India's strong top order. I hope he gets better soon. Always want to see all top players participating in a global event.

Amir will be disappointed. :amir2

I hope Prithvi Shaw replaces him, want to watch him bat against Pakistan.

lol at your pool of 25+ players. We are struggling to find 2 good middle order batsmen and here you can easily replace Rohit Sharma too? May be its high time you should boycott International Cricket because watching too many pyjama games have spoiled you. :inti

Struggling because of our old seniority policies, not because of dearth of talent! You know India cannot be fully forward because of different types/extremes of people we have :)) Look at Australia, they have a B Team ready even today (who could replace Warner, Smith, all bowlers, etc) when they are not so strong compared to their previous historical teams! We never cultivated this strong & aggressive attitude/model any time even when we have all the facilities! Australia would have done wonders and created 6 to 8 International Quality teams if they had the money & resources pouring around as in IPL....

*All teams except Pakistan
(suggested amendment)

Bhai India has Rayudu, DK and Jadhav playing #4 and #5, where are the IPL superstar players to replace them? :facepalm:

I don't think it will be that anything bad. We hear stuff like that all the time especially with India but there's still time for it to heal. Remember when Kohli got 'injured' so missed his stint with Surrey stint but was fine for the England tour. I wouldn't conclude he's definitely missing the WC, that's all I'm saying

Show me one post where I asked Pandya to be included in the indian team in the first place? And yeah don't forget to show me a post where Rohit Sharma was my target.

It is pretty predictable of you guys to make stuff up from your backside when you don't have anything to say. Just read your post again how desperately you are trying to defend IPL. Read the thread title again and he got injured during IPL so IPL will be blamed. You all will be crying when India is going to miss Rohit in the World Cup. :inti

Of course you don't want Pandya and you suddenly got Vijay Shankar as his replacement! I was talking about how Indian team was investing on Pandya! And Jadeja should play ahead of Pandya... This is way immature and Pyjamish compared to IPL... FYI if Pandya get injured too, then I have no issues with Shankar or anyone else replacing him... Not so rigid as you... Injuries have happened even before and teams have coped with it (including Old Australian & WI teams).

Of course we can call such things as bad luck! (Yes I may tell we missed Rohit in the World Cup but definitely won't blame IPL for that! And lets hope we don't get into that situation in the first place! Let's be optimistic, but I know you will speak like Old Indian Fans who used to pray Sachin for everything!)

Bhai India has Rayudu, DK and Jadhav playing #4 and #5, where are the IPL superstar players to replace them? :facepalm:

They are also IPL superstars FYI :)) As you know we also have our conventional fans who want to build teams based on conventional basis!

Amir will be disappointed. :amir2

I hope Prithvi Shaw replaces him, want to watch him bat against Pakistan.

Just like he was left utterly left disappointed in the 2 matches of the last Asia Cup.

Proof that the BCCI and the Franchises need to work towards a player management contract, these things can be avoided if such a mechanism is in place.

Unfortunate but still reports at the moment, no confirmation.

Just like he was left utterly left disappointed in the 2 matches of the last Asia Cup.

10 years from now no one will remember the asia cup...but people will remember the champions trophy

10 years from now no one will remember the asia cup...but people will remember the champions trophy

People stopped taking the Champions Trophy seriously 12 years back, and that's the reason why the ICC was on the verge of scrapping it since 2006.

Rahul
Dhawan
Kohli
Pant
Jadhav
Dhoni
Pandya
Jaddu/Chahal
Kuldeep
Shami
Bumrah

I want Kohli to bat at No.4 to bolster the middle order. If Rohit is out, it will be hard for India as Rahul may have to open.

Unfortunate but still reports at the moment, no confirmation.

"Rohit Sharma had suffered right leg muscle spasm yesterday during training. Rohit has recovered significantly in past 24 hours. As a precautionary measure, Mumbai Indians management has decided to rest Rohit for one match," the team management revealed in a statement.

This is the first game Rohit has missed a match for Mumbai Indians in the IPL.

He is gonna miss just ""ONE"" IPL match... that too as precautionary measure.
Now that is a very SERIOUS injury which put world cup selection in dire straits :))

Statement on Rohit Sharma

Rohit Sharma suffered a right leg muscle spasm yesterday during training. Rohit has recovered significantly in the past 24 hours. As a precautionary measure, Mumbai Indians management has decided to rest Rohit for one match, i.e. vs KXIP.

Mumbai Indians will be led by Kieron Pollard today.

https://www.mumbaiindians.com/news/statement-on-rohit-sharma

People stopped taking the Champions Trophy seriously 12 years back, and that's the reason why the ICC was on the verge of scrapping it since 2006.

And there is a reason why it took them till 2021 to finally get rid of it.

And there is a reason why it took them till 2021 to finally get rid of it.

Yea, they were waiting for Pakistan to win it so that they can finally scrap it, something they were thinking of since 2006.

Lol the reports I read are that it is a precautionary move to not play him in today's game.

People are already writing India off :facepalm:

RS is a beast in ODIs but India got more than decent replacements.

India is a top heavy team and Rohit's injury will be a big blow to India.

India's chances of winning the wc has reduced significantly due to the injury of RS.

BTW even though I m feeling really sorry for Rohit and India. But truth is no good CAN ever come out of an Abomination called IPL.

Rohit will be fine. Seen walking not limping. Just not taking a risk and getting enough rest.

Well nothing serious about Rohit's injury. He should be back soon. Since there is WC around in less than 50 days, he might be taking precaution by not risking playing the IPL games. These are professional players and will know what to do to make sure they aren't burnt out. You will see more Indian nationals rested in the second half of the tournament. Also Rohit has been kind of unfit for a while now. His fielding in recent ODI series against Australia was a joke. He needs to work on his fitness anyways.

In my opinion their should be no leagues in the 6 months approaching the world cup. No player wants to miss the world cup.

What devilish sorcery is this? I thought the evil ipl had clearly robbed India off it's best opener for world cup. How is allowed to be fit so quickly.

Mate do you not have any common sense at all ? The point still stands that these long winded tournaments are a risk prior to a big tournament, Sharma may have recovered but it could have been worse.

In my opinion their should be no leagues in the 6 months approaching the world cup. No player wants to miss the world cup.
Is there some magic spell that protects players from getting injured playing international cricket? If not why not just ban all forms of cricket and even practice just to be safe for the period you suggest.

Mate do you not have any common sense at all ? The point still stands that these long winded tournaments are a risk prior to a big tournament, Sharma may have recovered but it could have been worse.
You can get injured practicing there is no real way to avoid injuries. Only thing leagues add to is fatigue which can be managed resting players from time to time.

Players get injured in nets too.

That players get injured due to playing regular cricket only is a myth.

Also match fitness is also a thing. You don't want to send players to world cup not having played enough competitive cricket.

You can get injured practicing there is no real way to avoid injuries. Only thing leagues add to is fatigue which can be managed resting players from time to time.

Am pretty sure there is a higher likelihood of you getting injured when you're actually playing real games putting your body under excessive stresses/strains you don't see otherwise compared to artificial practice sessions :facepalm: and speaking of resting players consistently in tournaments it just doesn't happen, there is no dead rubber.

Am pretty sure there is a higher likelihood of you getting injured when you're actually playing real games putting your body under excessive stresses/strains you don't see otherwise compared to artificial practice sessions :facepalm: and speaking of resting players consistently in tournaments it just doesn't happen, there is no dead rubber.

But it isn't just practice is it, for eg pak are about to play eng, can you guarantee that no pak player will get injured playing in that series? Also this ipl i feel by the 12th match it will be decided who is qualifying and who is not. Likes of kohli will be out of the tournament by 10th.

Lol its just like The Undertaker skipping WrestleMania and appearing in Raw next day. :misbah

Leave it bro. Their ego won't let them accept it. :inti

Back