Ricky Ponting predicts Australia will beat India in the final of the T20 World Cup (2022)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Two-time World Cup-winning captain Ricky Ponting has revealed the two teams he thinks will reach the final of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup in Australia later this year and which one he expects to win the trophy.

Ponting has watched plenty of T20 cricket in recent times, with the former Australia skipper having spent time as an assistant of the Australian team under Justin Langer, been head coach of Delhi Capitals in the IPL for the last five years and commentating on Big Bash League matches.

Having seen and analysed the best players from around the world up close and personal he has now shared his views on the upcoming T20 World Cup with host Sanjana Ganesan on the latest episode of The ICC Review.

Who wins the coveted trophy?

While Ponting admits some luck is required to win a major ICC trophy, the 47-year-old was strong on the teams he thought were most likely to taste success in Australia.

"I think India and Australia will be the two playing in the final and I will just have to say that Australia will beat them in the final," Ponting declared.

"The reigning champions have got home conditions and that was one thing that made Australia’s win in the last World Cup, not remarkable, but that little bit sweeter for them.

"The fact that a lot of people, me included, thought when they went to UAE, the conditions that they were going to have to face on the back of the IPL, I thought the conditions might have been the thing that might not have allowed them to win it.

"But they found a way."

Who is the main danger to Australia and India then?

Ponting has been a long-time fan of Brendon McCullum and has been supremely impressed with what the brash Kiwi has produced so far during his tenure during recent Test series'.

He also knows how capable new England white-ball coach Matthew Mott is given his superb record with Australia's women's team.

"I actually think England are an outstanding white-ball team and they have an outstanding white-ball setup," Ponting said.

"I just think the three teams on paper that look to have most class and the most match-winners are India, Australia and England."

What about Pakistan?

Pakistan legend Waqar Younis recently said his former team had an excellent chance of claiming a second T20 World Cup title in Australia, but Ponting isn't so sure.

While Ponting acknowledges the class of star pacer Shaheen Afridi and the guile of Mohammad Rizwan at the top of the order, he said their batting line-up is too reliant on captain and No.1 ranked batter Babar Azam.

"If Babar doesn’t have a great tournament, I don’t think they can win," Ponting said.

"I saw him up close and personal a couple of years ago out here in a Test series against Australia and I said it then, I thought the sky was the limit for this guy as far as Test match batting (was concerned) and, if anything, he’s probably got better and better in the last couple of years.

"Their openers are very important and their new-ball bowlers are very important, but that role of the spin bowler in Australia might be a little bit more difficult with wickets that probably won’t give them assistance."

What about the rest of the teams?

Ponting gives a few other sides an outside chance of riding their luck all the way and at least making it to the title decider at the MCG on November 13.

"I know the game too well and any of New Zealand, Pakistan or West Indies even – we know how they tend to love playing this game and they’re probably most suited to the T20 format.

"It wouldn’t surprise me if any of those sides find their way through to the final."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2690432

Last edited:
Is Pakistan really a team that prides itself on its spinners though? I don't think so.

Our best spinner in T20s: Imad Wasim isn't really even a spinner. And he can succeed on all surfaces in this format. Shadab and Nawaz are good but I wouldn't put them anywhere near Rashid Khan or Hasaranga. I'd say even Shamsi is a better spinner in T20s than those two.

Even Ponting agrees now that in cricket, the biggest sports rivalry that exists in modern days cricket across formats is between India and Australia, the top two teams in the past 20 years.

Hence, mentioning these two teams with the best chances of winning the tournament.

Australia are very likely to win the trophy due to home advantage. Also, they have a very good T20 team.

I think we may see Australia vs England in the final.

Even Ponting agrees now that in cricket, the biggest sports rivalry that exists in modern days cricket across formats is between India and Australia, the top two teams in the past 20 years.

Hence, mentioning these two teams with the best chances of winning the tournament.

So according to the player you are sourcing as a reference, Australia v India is the biggest rivalry of our sport?

Would like to see where did Ponting say that in the OP. Or maybe out of habit you are putting words in his mouth?

On a side note Ponting acknowledged the class of star pacer Shaheen Afridi and it is mentioned in the OP. :rabada2 :inti

India are always hyped before every ICC event....but they don't have much too show in last 10 yrs

Let's see how it goes this time

So according to the player you are sourcing as a reference, Australia v India is the biggest rivalry of our sport?

In modern era purely on cricketing basis, the answer is a yes! :inti

'Favorites' have never won the T20 World Cup. It's just too fickle a format to expect predictability.

Any of the top 6 (Ind, Aus, Eng, SAF, NZ, Pak) can beat any of the others in a one off game. You can even throw SL and WI in there.

It's impossible to predict anything in the T20 format. Regardless, for Ponting's prediction to come true, India has to reach the finals in the first place.

Australians are ruthless at home ! It would be there 2nd cup, not matter which team faces them in Final.

Fair call that although England won't be far off the final.

As for Pakistan, conditions won't be in their favour but they can't be totally ruled out.

Is Pakistan really a team that prides itself on its spinners though? I don't think so.

Our best spinner in T20s: Imad Wasim isn't really even a spinner. And he can succeed on all surfaces in this format. Shadab and Nawaz are good but I wouldn't put them anywhere near Rashid Khan or Hasaranga. I'd say even Shamsi is a better spinner in T20s than those two.

Shadab and Nawaz play as all rounders in t20s and shamsi plays as a genuine spinner.

In modern era purely on cricketing basis, the answer is a yes! :inti
In the modern era

In the past

In the future

The greatest rivalry of this sport is India v Pakistan. This sport exists, sells because of this rivalry and this rivalry only. All others are meaningless.

If you don’t understand this, you don’t call yourself a cricket fan.

Think that’s a fair prediction.

Don’t have much faith in England this time.

Both Australia and India have a plethora of matchwinners in their XIs.

Pakistan only have SSA and Babar.

But it is T20Is; you never know. Game can be over in a space of three deliveries or timely cameo from a tailender!

If SA can pull their act together they can be a surprise candidate for the final. If Miller is in touch he can singlehandedly win a match.

Have you EVER seen batsmen running 4 runs in a T20 game without any fielding error?

Well, it happens only in Australia - this is how big the T20 boundaries are, in some Aussie grounds.

They are used to, and very well trained, to play T20 in such large boundary sizes - and if they keep the same boundary sizes in the WC, then I think all other teams will be badly exposed.

Australia. has a pretty good chance to win the cup. Agree with Ponting.

Australia, India, England, Pakistan and even RSA have a chance here. I don't fancy NZ's chances because I expect
Australia and England to wreck them in that group

When is India not expected to win the trophy? It's just that they don't come much close to winning it forget about winning it. Hyping up India is important for media including ex-cricketers to fool the public into believing that this is some great team but atleast i know the truth. If anyone thinks lower middle order consisting of Hoodas and Karthiks would be able to win matches then they are in for a shock! IPL is all about targeting 2 ordinary desi bowlers of opposition, in international you don't have any such bowlers.

Last edited:
Don't expect too much from our team. Hasan Ali along will cost us a game. Team is full of accumulators and blind sloggers plus timid captain and Yes man head coach.

Anyone can make the final in T20.
Am expecting South Africa to be dark horse and make some unexpected wins

When is India not expected to win the trophy? It's just that they don't come much close to winning it forget about winning it. Hyping up India is important for media including ex-cricketers to fool the public into believing that this is some great team but atleast i know the truth. If anyone thinks lower middle order consisting of Hoodas and Karthiks would be able to win matches then they are in for a shock! IPL is all about targeting 2 ordinary desi bowlers of opposition, in international you don't have any such bowlers.

Don't care about these Hoodas etc, but be careful what you say about the legendary DK :moyo

Are you sure? I mean did int'l t20i team fields 5 proper bowlers in the xi? And these days Karthik is a finisher which means he often faces opponents best bowlers (in death overs)..

Are you sure? I mean did int'l t20i team fields 5 proper bowlers in the xi? And these days Karthik is a finisher which means he often faces opponents best bowlers (in death overs)..

Karthik has been many things since the last 20 years except for being an international success and i don't see that changing now. He being a limited order finisher was touted even before 2019 wc and his wc 2019 performance reads three games and 14 runs. Now the social media influencer that he is, along with his media team, obviously changed the narrative from him being a limited order finisher to T20 finisher. I hav seen this circus many a times and i am more than sure that his IPL performances (btw those also are also mostly first innings) on low Indian pitches against ordinary bowlers will count for nothing on pitches with even 5-10% extra bounce. Picture this - Karthik trying a slog sweep six of Starc or Hazlewood or Toppley or Afridi or any of kiwi bowlers and you know how that will end up.

This time I think Pakistan will struggle to beat India and South Africa in the group stage.

SA and India to qualify in group B, whilst Australia and NZ to qualify in group A

NZ will knock out India in the semis
Australia will most likely beat SA.

Australia v NZ final

Australia, India, England, Pakistan and even RSA have a chance here. I don't fancy NZ's chances because I expect
Australia and England to wreck them in that group

Depends really, not sure England are going to turn up here. They are notoriously bad in Australia

Depends really, not sure England are going to turn up here. They are notoriously bad in Australia

Hard to say really . How many T20I's have England played there? Also I don't think it's actually relevant. Pakistan has not won a single T20 in Australia but they are still in with a chance as well.

I think picking Australia in the finals is a no-brainer; they are reigning champs and it's in their own backyard. The last 50-over world cup that was held in their backyard was dominated by them too.

As for India, I'm not too convinced by them. They just haven't performed up to their potential in recent tournaments and though they have changed their captain as a consequence, I'm not sure if that's going to be enough. I would put NZ and England ahead of India as they are more likely to actually win a semifinal!

Have you EVER seen batsmen running 4 runs in a T20 game without any fielding error?

Well, it happens only in Australia - this is how big the T20 boundaries are, in some Aussie grounds.

They are used to, and very well trained, to play T20 in such large boundary sizes - and if they keep the same boundary sizes in the WC, then I think all other teams will be badly exposed.

Australia. has a pretty good chance to win the cup. Agree with Ponting.

Big grounds make T20 balanced. It is a good thing.

I hate it when a hack top edges a very decent bouncer for six.

Aus vs Ind is the most probable final, be it T20I WC, ODI WC or WTC.

Ponting on WTC Final and star’s ‘indifferent’ form

Australia cricket legend Ricky Ponting has used the latest episode of The ICC Review to dissect Steve Smith's current form, predict who is the best chance to usurp England's Joe Root as the top ranked red-ball batter and provide his thoughts on the current World Test Championship race.

Ponting has been keeping a close eye on the recent plight of Smith at Test level and hasn't noticed too much difference in the way the right-hander has been approaching the game.

But he says opposition sides have worked out smarter plans on how to combat Smith and the former Australia captain only recently broke an 18-month drought without a century when he reached triple figures during the second Test against Sri Lanka in Galle.

Steve Smith's form

While Smith has 28 Test centuries to his name for Australia, only two of those have come since the Ashes series in England in 2019 and his unbeaten 145 against Sri Lanka earlier this month was the first time he had reached triple figures since his brilliant hundred against India at the start of 2021.

Smith has scored seven half centuries during that span and Ponting said the 33-year-old is not consistently producing as many high scores as he would like to.

'Australia's chances really hinge on the upcoming Indian tour' - Ricky Ponting | The ICC Review
"The best way to describe it is, it (Smith's form) has been indifferent," Ponting told Sanjana Ganesan on The ICC Review.

"For four or five years, he has been so incredibly consistent, making consistently high scores, making four, five or six hundreds in a Test match calendar year and he hasn't been able to do that in the last couple of years.

"I have watched him quite closely, and I don’t think there is anything technically there that has changed too much.

"Opposition teams maybe have finally started to work out the way they can slow him down from scoring quickly or have found some ways to attack him and get him out.

"But knowing Steve and how well he prepares himself and how deeply he thinks about his game, I don’t think it’s going to be too long before you see him back there scoring heavily again.”

Is Joe Root’s mantle as the No.1 Test batter in danger?

Root was recently rewarded for his excellent red-ball form when he overtook Australia's Marnus Labuschagne as the top ranked Test batter, but there are a host of key batters around the world lining up to overtake the Englishman.

England have three Test matches against South Africa next month where Root will get the chance to extend his lead at the top of the batter rankings, but after that they don't play any red-ball cricket until they tour New Zealand in February next year.

That means Labuschagne and Smith will get plenty of opportunities to make ground on the in-form right-hander, with Australia hosting West Indies and South Africa during their upcoming summer for a total of five Test matches on home soil.

"Yeah, potentially (both Labuschagne and Smith could overtake Root this summer)" Ponting said.

"Both of those guys have outstanding records in Australia. I think looking back at last week, it was Marnus’ first hundred (against Sri Lanka) outside Australia.

"In saying that, it’s been in Australia in the last couple of years where Smith has had most troubles.

"Marnus was on record recently saying that it might just be the opening of the floodgates again for Steve Smith.

"I think it’s been 16-17 innings for him without a Test hundred – that doesn't happen too often.

"Joe Root has been exactly the opposite. Every time he has gone out to bat in the last 18 months or two years, he’s made a hundred, particularly against India. His record against India has been absolutely outstanding.

"One thing I know is his class is permanent.

"Whether it's Smith or Labuschagne or even Virat, when he bounces back to his career-best form, any one of those guys – and Babar Azam is another one – they can overtake Root in the next few months."

South Africa currently lead the World Test Championship standings, but Australia are snapping at their heels in second place following their recent drawn series against Sri Lanka away from home.

Pakistan, India, West Indies and Sri Lanka are also in contention to finish in the top two on the standings and reach the final, with Ponting stressing the importance of Australia's tour of India early next year as the crucial series that may decide the finalists.

"I think Australia's chances really hinge on the upcoming Indian tour, to be honest and India’s chances are a little bit the same," Ponting noted.

"It is always a much-anticipated series – Australia and India, whether it be in Australia or in India – it’s much hyped up and talked about, the rivalry between the two countries is just growing year on year.

Who else can feature in the World Test Championship final?

Ponting suggested South Africa have been the surprise packet of the World Test Championship so far, with the Proteas having enjoyed success against India and Bangladesh at home among their five Test triumphs during this current period.

"South Africa has been a stand out so far," Ponting said

"Their record at home is absolutely outstanding, they’re a very hard team to beat at home as we just saw with Sri Lanka as well.

"A little bit of doom and gloom in the Sri Lankan cricket in the last couple of years, but for them to be sitting where they are and to beat a good Australian side in that Test match just bit over a week ago, there are a lot of really good, positive signs for them going forward.

"Pakistan’s ability to continually be up there and be talked about on the back of not playing much international cricket at home for such a long period of time, it just shows how passionate they are about the game and how many truly great players that country has able to produce year after year."

ICC

Australia is set to play three T20 Internationals against India in September, less than a month before the T20 World Cup kicks off on home soil.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Wednesday announced the schedule for the start of its 2022-23 home season, commencing with T20 games against Australia on September 20, 23 and 25.

The three clashes against India – in Mohali, Nagpur and Hyderabad respectively – kick-start a host of international fixtures for Aaron Finch’s side prior to the T20 World Cup which begins on October 16.

Following the short trip to India, home T20 matches against the West Indies (on October 5 and 7) and England (October 9, 12 and 14) have already been locked in, as Australia looks to become the first men’s team to win back-to-back world titles in the game’s shortest format.

They are also looking to become the first men’s team to win the T20 World Cup as host.

The last time Australia played a T20 series in India, in February 2019, they walked away 2-0 victors after edging two thrillers.

Pat Cummins scored two off the final ball to seal a nervy three-wicket win in Game One before a Glenn Maxwell masterclass (113no off 55 balls) in Game Two allowed the Aussies to chase down India’s 190 with two balls to spare.

More than three-and-a-half years later, this series against India (the world’s No.1 ranked T20 side) could represent an opportunity for George Bailey and the Australian selectors to hand middle-order power-hitter Tim David his international debut.

Australia legend Ricky Ponting, who witnessed David’s exploits first-hand at this year’s IPL (where he scored 186 runs at a strike rate of 216.27 from eight matches), said in recent weeks that if he was in Bailey’s position he would do exactly that.

"If I was a selector, I'd love to have someone like that in my team," Ponting said.

"He's an out and out match-winner.

"He's the sort of player that could actually win you a World Cup, he's not just the average run of the mill guy that might just sneak into a squad."

Australia’s first game of the T20 World Cup, against New Zealand, takes place on October 22 at the SCG.

Updated list of Australia’s T20 fixtures prior to the World Cup:

September 20 vs. India (Mohali)

September 23 vs. India (Nagpur)

September 25 vs. India (Hyderabad)

October 5 vs. West Indies (Gold Coast)

October 7 vs. West Indies (Brisbane)

October 9 vs. England (Perth)

October 12 vs. England (Canberra)

October 14 vs. England (Canberra)

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...ber-2022-t20-world-cup-preparation/2022-08-04

Rohit Sharma believes the Indian team have a settled combination heading into the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2022 despite successive defeats in the Super Four of the Asia Cup.

India succumbed to a six-wicket defeat against Sri Lanka in the Super Four of the Asia Cup, following their loss against Pakistan. With the loss, an exit looms large for India in the tournament, with them needing multiple scenarios to play out in their favour to qualify for the final.

India failed to get off to a good start in the Powerplay with the bat, losing both KL Rahul and Virat Kohli early. Batting during the tournament has been an area of concern, with the team failing to get off to good starts, while also being unable to close out the end of the innings.

On India's batting, Rohit said in the post-match press conference, "We didn't score as many runs as we wanted to in the first six overs because we lost wickets. We should have capitalised better from the momentum we got after that.

"We couldn't close the game properly with the bat. We had spoken about this in the team meeting.. about how nicely we have dealt with in close matches. These things happen. We were 10 or 12 runs short but we still had a good score."

Rohit also addressed Dinesh Karthik's exclusion from the squad, claiming him missing out from the XI was down to the balance in the middle order. Karthik has done well in his role as the finisher recently, and his exclusion has come as a surprise to many. Rishabh Pant has been backed over the veteran but has failed to dazzle so far, only scoring 31 runs in three matches.

On picking Pant over Karthik, Rohit said, "Very simple, we just wanted a left-hander to bat in the middle, that's why is out. He is not out because of any form or anything, we wanted a left-hander to bat in the middle and take the pressure off of some of our batsmen who are batting with that left-hander."

Rohit also believes that he has a settled combination heading into the T20 World Cup in Australia and isn't worried after back-to-back defeats. "We are not worried after losing two matches back to back. We have won so many matches after the 2021 T20 World Cup.

"We are 90 per cent settled, only a few changes will happen. We don't have any shortcomings. There is quality in the team. There is more pressure in multi-nation series as compared to bilateral series. We have discussed this. it's unfortunate that we couldn't get past the group stages of the T20 World Cup and now we lost two matches in the Asia Cup Super Four," Rohit stated about the setup of his side heading into the showpiece event in Australia.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2784793

Back