How far will Pakistan progress in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

How far will Pakistan progress in the ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After the gut-punch of a loss in the 2022 ICC T20 World Cup final against England, Pakistan’s cricket team is back on their grind, ready to face the music once more on the global stage in the upcoming T20 World Cup to be held in West Indies and USA.

The million-dollar question popping up is - How far will they go in the upcoming ICC T20 World Cup?

Please vote and share your thought about it.

This format suits Pakistan. Bowlers can give it all for 4 over spells. Also this is the event where some teams grossly underperform due to pressure. You just have to suck less than them. You don't even have to be great.

PAK will be up against Saffers, Poms and the Calypsos in the Super 8 stage.

Should make the semis at least. Historically, they have dominated WI and have a positive record against SA as well. Too close to call 2nd team from that group between England and SA.

The evolution of T20 cricket is rapid, especially evident in the IPL where it's taken to a whole new level. Pakistan may need around a decade to catch up, but by then, the game will have evolved even further, leaving pakistan trailing behind by a decade again.

Poor form, poor captaincy, poor team selections, poor batting order, poor Managment, poor PCB....

We'll probably win the tournament

Pakistan one again will rely on bowling. Pakistan batting never won anything in any tournament. It is always bowling. Akram's double wicket in 1992 is a case on point. Atleast in 1990s, 2000s batting was much better. Razzaq would come at 7 or 8. This batting is a joke for this format. But somehow they keep punching above the weight. Given the amount of teams that don't choke in tournaments Pakistan still has a chance. England/Australia/India are the only threats. NZ/SA choke.

The evolution of T20 cricket is rapid, especially evident in the IPL where it's taken to a whole new level. Pakistan may need around a decade to catch up, but by then, the game will have evolved even further, leaving pakistan trailing behind by a decade again.
Pakistan will take a decade to be where the best teams are now

And the best teams will by then be at another level

Pakistan will take a decade to be where the best teams are now

And the best teams will by then be at another level
Why was misbah even hired in 2019?

Pur cricket was fine from 2017-2019 period, poor 2018 odi period but strong t20 team and overall not that bad.

2017-2019 remains our best period compared to 2012-2016 and 2020 to 2024(ongoing)

On ehat basis was misbah even hired and why,

Should definitely make semis. After that, likely to get knocked out by Australia or England or even India.

I hope you are right but things are not looking bright for this team atm.
Just relax and enjoy the ride.

When we enter tournament a favourites we get thrashed.

When we enter them as write offs we rise from the ashes.

Caribbean will be renamed Fakharibean once we are done.

And New York doesn't know what it's in store for when Iftimania arrives.

I don’t know how far we will go but I do know we have no business winning it,

It will be a farce if we win it. International teams like Australia, England, South Africa and home side West Indies are far more deserving that us at least

I don’t know how far we will go but I do know we have no business winning it,

It will be a farce if we win it. International teams like Australia, England, South Africa and home side West Indies are far more deserving that us at least
No such thing as an undeserving cup winner.

Whoever wins deserves it.

T20s are hard to predict but we certainly have a chance to win. A lot depends on Babar's captaincy.

Just relax and enjoy the ride.

When we enter tournament a favourites we get thrashed.

When we enter them as write offs we rise from the ashes.

Caribbean will be renamed Fakharibean once we are done.

And New York doesn't know what it's in store for when Iftimania arrives.
Which fantasy novel have you been reading?

No such thing as an undeserving cup winner.

Whoever wins deserves it.
I agree with this, but not gonna happen.

2022 wc was a shortened tournament. To get to semi's you inky needed to be top 2 in a group of India, Pakistan, SA, Nedtherlands and Zimbabwe.

Logically we should have won all games as sa can be neutralised if their made to chase.

Instead we botched it and honestly Nedtherlands saved us + SA had beaten Zimbabwe, Rain and drs gave both team 1 point. So it was luck by Allah sending down rain and Nedtherlands winning toss.

We only really played NZ game well. SA game was won as soon as we got lucky to bat first.

Regardless Super 8 stage means Pakistan is on its way for an early exit.

Super 8, barring a miracle.

Batting is not good enough imo

Pakistan is definitely going to semis I think. Whenever this team was though to be a nothing team, they have done something beyond imagination. Let's see what is in the bag this time.

Pakistan is definitely going to semis I think. Whenever this team was though to be a nothing team, they have done something beyond imagination. Let's see what is in the bag this time.
When has that ever happened? 💀.

If you're referring to 2017, In that year we launched psl and white washed west Indies with no difficulty. We also changed out entire team.

I didn't expect to win but I didn't expect a horror show, the team was filled with psl superstars all in superb and top form + PSL should have remained in UAE, players were nourished better in those pitches rather these pindi nonsense pitches.

In 2023 me, Rana and topspin called failure from a mile away hence the Long Long world cup stick. Only a few people actually believed that

1) Rauf, Naseem, Shaheen were the great pace trio since wasim,waqar and Imran.

2) Fakhar, Imam and Babar were the greatest top order in the world.

3) Chacha is hailed as the ultimate finisher of the worlds no 1 team.

Just look at the 2017 playing 11 vs 2024 playing 11, it isn't a competiton.

Esit: Before people comment, yes ik psl launched 2016.

Not very far if you’re struggling to beat NZ C at home.

I think this team and management deserve every humiliation coming their way unless they buck up their ideas.

We may come alive at the right time or we could totally tank. Our batting lacks power and bowling, especially the pace bowlers are going back at a rate of knots. Short answers- no one knows

This format suits Pakistan. Bowlers can give it all for 4 over spells. Also this is the event where some teams grossly underperform due to pressure. You just have to suck less than them. You don't even have to be great.

How long will New Zealand and South Africa barren run last surely it will end soon this decade one of them must be winning a T20 or ODI World Cup.

Pakistan will need luck to qualify if most of the matches are high scoring.

If we play aggressive cricket, we will go into the finals. We have get rid of players who take sweet time to settle in by wasting 2-3 overs. (Those who play like Chacha and tuktuk Misbah)

I see us going to the semi's. After that some top side probably Australia will eliminate us.

Hi all. Just a quick question . For the second stage of matches provided Pakistan go through. Will they be A2? Meaning their matches will be 19th,21st and 23rd of June.

Looking to celebrate a 40th so any feedback will be an appreciated .

Hi all. Just a quick question . For the second stage of matches provided Pakistan go through. Will they be A2? Meaning their matches will be 19th,21st and 23rd of June.

Looking to celebrate a 40th so any feedback will be an appreciated .
Yes, they will be A2

For people hoping for another 2017 miracle, it won't happen.

2017 team had better captaincy, inform players(besides shehzad who was dropped), and many pacers were at peak, Hasan ali and Amir included.

2024 has issues regarding captaincy, batting combination and everyone isn't in peak form.

Pakistan made the final last time around without the services of the two match winning superstars, Amir and Imad.

This time around, we are blessed with their presence because they did a huge favor on the nation by revoking their retirement.

If Pakistan don’t go one better, which means winning the World Cup, then them revoking their retirement would prove to be a waste of time and a pointless exercise because Pakistan have already proved that they don’t need their services to finish runners up.

The T20 format has, like most things in the world, evolved beyond Pakistan. We succeeded in the early years when there wasn't much serious analysis of the format, and relied purely on the skill of the players.

Babar has never won anything as captain either in U19s, domestic, PSL or internationally (except the 'prestigious' 2022 BanglaWash tri-series). Not expecting to him to break a habit of a lifetime.

The fielding collapses under pressure.

The batting lacks aggressive openers and reliable finishers. Even against NZ C our limit was 178. Our plan is seemingly get par and pray the bowlers save us.

That said the pitches in WI/USA should be more favourable to us than AUS in 2022, and we perform better when there's zero expectations.

Can see us reaching the semis but beyond that is anyone's guess.

Mohammad Kaif lauded Pakistan's pace department, questioned spin bowling depth in a recent interview:​

"Their strength lies in their fast bowling. Haris Rauf is there, Shaheen Afridi is also there, and Naseem Shah is also fit. Although Naseem Shah wasn't in the World Cup squad, his absence was felt in bowling, he's a good bowler, and their power lies in their pace bowling. With bouncy pitches in the USA, their fast bowlers will excel there."

"Their weakness lies in their spin bowling department. Shadab Khan is not getting the ball on the line, and Mohammad Nawaz's ball doesn't turn much, so their spin bowling is weak,"

"Their spin bowling is weak, and so is their batting when pressure mounts, like when they need to chase 180 runs. If their bowling fails, for instance, if Naseem Shah doesn't take wickets or Shaheen Afridi remains wicketless, then they get exposed. The players I mentioned earlier, including Haris Rauf, are the ones who set up their game. They aim to take 2 to 3 wickets in the first six overs with the new ball and then win the game from there. In my opinion, if these three bowlers are even slightly out of form, Pakistan could face difficulties,"

We're a mediocre side and one of the lowest six hitting out of all the sides. But as other have said, this is Pak and we could end up winning it.

If Babar and Rizwan continue to open for Pakistan then I am sure they wont be able to make it to the Super 8.
Babar & Riz are the only two openers who can take Pakistan to the finals.

We have already seen how useless the one leg in the air stylish Saim Ayub is.

The bowling again will have to over perform in a tournament, however it is a good line up of bowlers. Experience of Amir alongside the pace of Shaheen, Naseem. Potentially variation of Abbas Afridi. Spin of Abrar improves the spin department even with Shadab. Control of Imad.

The batting will have to relay on Saim-Fakhar to start strong & consistent whereas Babar-Rizwan will need MASSIVELY up there game which we haven't seen before.

So I don't think they will go far.

Babar-Rizwan will need MASSIVELY up there game which we haven't seen before.
4 years on the job now without any obstacles in their way in International and domestic PSL

No excuses. People want guys like Harris to improve. What improvement have these two frauds made to their game in 4 years?

Babar & Riz are the only two openers who can take Pakistan to the finals.

We have already seen how useless the one leg in the air stylish Saim Ayub is.
Rizwan Babar can only setup a trap for other players with their pathetic SR which will only cause a collapse.

It's better to use both of them in the middle order where they can play their natural game. If they come to open they will only destroy the powerplay.

Last edited:
4 years on the job now without any obstacles in their way in International and domestic PSL

No excuses. People want guys like Harris to improve. What improvement have these two frauds made to their game in 4 years?
The problem is, T20 Cricket is perfect for Klassen, De Kock & Warner type players. But Babar-Rizwan aren't those type of players.

But Markram, Head, Ravindra have all adapted to T20 cricket.

Even 40+ Hafeez adapted.

The problem is, T20 Cricket is perfect for Klassen, De Kock & Warner type players. But Babar-Rizwan aren't those type of players.

But Markram, Head, Ravindra have all adapted to T20 cricket.

Even 40+ Hafeez adapted.
Glad you can see it,

A bit too late though my friend.

Glad you can see it,

A bit too late though my friend.
The problem is Babar-Rizwan are the best Pakistan have.

In terms of talent, this is the lowest it's ever been. A current Kami & Hafeez would be a better option right now.

Rizwan Babar can only setup a trap for other players with their pathetic SR which will only cause a collapse.

It's better to use both of them in the middle order where they can play their natural game. If they come to open they will only destroy the powerplay.
No other openers in Pakistan can score more than Babar Riz in the powerplay. I am not delusional, this is simply a proven fact.

No other openers in Pakistan can score more than Babar Riz in the powerplay. I am not delusional, this is simply a proven fact.
No other Pakistani openers have been playing for Pakistan since 2020 lol

Those two have played 90% of the games

Big boss Sharjeel

They hate him cos they can’t be him
Tbf it's because he did fix and sell his country.

I just want someone who can utilise the PP. Babar amd rizwan have prevented anyone else getting a chance and their fans think our middle order is a disarray. Like yes genuis why do you think that is?

This team is a 100 years behind Australia atm, And no I'm not saying that sarcastically. They are actually 100 years behind, their 1930 players play faster then these 2 in Tests while these are t20 bats lol.

And won more games than any other batters too.
The argument goes both ways then. They've also lost more games for Pakistan by this logic.

Infact you can attribute Australia semi final, asia cup final and world cup 2022 solely to these 2.

It's a team game yes but their the biggest cause in those defeats asia cup especially.

The argument goes both ways then. They've also lost more games for Pakistan by this logic.

Infact you can attribute Australia semi final, asia cup final and world cup 2022 solely to these 2.

It's a team game yes but their the biggest cause in those defeats asia cup especially.
No shame in losing to Australia and England. They are superior.

Our third class youth in stylish Saim & Singer Azam Khan are just not good enough. Babar/Riz is the best we got in batting. Just accept it.

No shame in losing to Australia and England. They are superior.

Our third class youth in stylish Saim & Singer Azam Khan are just not good enough. Babar/Riz is the best we got in batting. Just accept it.
Ic you ignored Sri lanka lol.

Regardless 2022 was the biggest kudrat ki nizam.

Their was no super 8's, no facing SENA on group stages besides SA.

SA got rain affected 2x, once against Pakistan which put them at a disadvantage via drs and secondly against Zimbabwe. They had beaten Zimbabwe, the 1 point to each side was not earned.

Infact even after this luck, Babar and rizwan only helped dueing the NZ game. Every other game they helped in flunking or they weren't a factor in resulting in victories, The game against Bangladesh was haris not ba/riz.

Here we go, the usual drill. A legit OP will now turn into yet another excuse to attack Babar & Rizwan.

The sad part is the usual haters are using pyjama league stats to justify inclusions in an international tournament, and not only that, their preferred choices have flopped ROYALLY on the international scene.

Bottom line - Pakistan were runners up in the previous T20 WC, and have the same chance as any other team to be World T20 Champions in 2024.

🇵🇰🏆

Here we go, the usual drill. A legit OP will now turn into yet another excuse to attack Babar & Rizwan.

The sad part is the usual haters are using pyjama league stats to justify inclusions in an international tournament, and not only that, their preferred choices have flopped ROYALLY on the international scene.

Bottom line - Pakistan were runners up in the previous T20 WC, and have the same chance as any other team to be World T20 Champions in 2024.

🇵🇰🏆
Please sing dil dil Pakistan for me

Might be able to pass the group stage with some luck but not beyond that . We have T20 team with two "test" openers. A 45 YO non-performing Chacha in middle order and a 36 year old ( officially still 29 ) phast bowler who should have discarded 3 years ago recalled back ( Hasan Ali ) . A very over weight and injured keeper and another injured keeper in the team. Two players playing based upon only talent and no performance. Another fast bowler who has been out of form and now out of action for long time due to injury is also travelling.

Most ridiculous and non-sense team selection after a very long time . Misbah, Inzimam and Waseem were bad selectors but this committee is really a joke.

No place for Amir and Wasim Jr ???

I'm glad I was not able to get the ticket for India-Pak match , will be an embarrassment to watch.

All other countries were brutally honest in their selection , players selected purely on form and performance.

Back