Aaqib Javed appointed as Fast Bowling Coach of Sri Lanka

Your predictions for Aaqib Javed's tenure as fast-bowling coach for Sri Lanka

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Sri Lanka Cricket wishes to announce the appointment of former Pakistan pace bowler Aaqib Javed as the national team’s ‘fast bowling coach.’

He will work with the national team until the completion of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, which is scheduled to be held in the West Indies and USA during June 2024.

Javed, apart from a successful international career where he played 163 ODIs and 22 test matches for Pakistan, captured a tally of 236 international wickets. A member of Pakistan’s 1992 World Cup-winning team, Javed has worked for several national teams in different coaching capacities.

Among those stints are working as the bowling coach of the Pakistan national team, serving as the coach of the UAE national team, and also working with the Afghanistan national team in a development role.

During his tenure as coach, the UAE National Team has obtained ODI and T20I status, made the ICC Men’s 50 Over World Cup in 2015, and also featured in the qualifiers for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in 2014.

The former Pakistan pace bowler also coached the Pakistan U19 team to a World Cup win back in 2004 and served as the bowling coach when Pakistan won the 2009 T20 World Cup in England.

Currently, he is serving as the Director of Cricket Operations and Head Coach of the Lahore Qalandars of the Pakistan Premier League.

We warmly welcome Aaqib and believe that his immense international experience, both in playing and coaching, will help our bowlers come into good shape ahead of the upcoming major international competitions, such as the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup,” added Mr. Ashley De Silva, CEO, Sri Lanka Cricket.

Aaqib’s role with Sri Lanka Cricket will resume, with immediate effect.

SOURCE: https://srilankacricket.lk/2024/03/...d-as-fast-bowling-coach-of-the-national-team/

So Pakistan looking for all sorts of foreign coaches and Aaqib gets hired by Sri Lanka!?

Good luck to him.

Wonder if his days at LQ are over now?

Why would Sri lanka appoint him? Based of what? I thought their looking to improve their team?

Yes ik LQ isn't entirely his fault but he isn't the best coach for the job considering how down under the Sri lankan team is

Sri Lanka will get solid theory, may not get much in practice though.

And for once in his life. Aqib will have to do honest work....

That's a relief, when I saw the first half of the title, I feared he was being appointed as Pakistan's bowling coach.

Silverwood himself is a very good bowling coach. Don't know what made them appoint Aqib.

How long after his stint his over that Aaqib starts berating Sri Lankan cricketers the same way he berates Pakistani cricketers?

I am not sure how long he is going to last as their coach. Not seeing him going beyond the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

Sri Lanka will get solid theory, may not get much in practice though.

And for once in his life. Aqib will have to do honest work....
Aqib was part of the Pakistan coaching staff around 2010 too

I vividly remember him giving throw downs to Mohammad Yousuf at Oval nets. He was giving him batting tips too and Yousuf was actually paying attention. This is no joke. The guy puts in the hard yards for whoever that hires him

I think Lahore should be getting rid of him and Sri Lanka will be in tears soon if Aaqib did the same thing that he did with Lahore Qalandars this season.

Last edited:
Their bowling is awful and they need someone competent , not Aaqib.

Actually , they need structural reforms in domestic cricket but the appointment of Aqib won't help at all.

Good to see a Pakistani being hired for this job. Hopefully Aaqib takes it seriously and makes us all proud

I hope Aaqib does well. I remember for a long time he was blamed by many for ruining players like Anwar Ali but his career has taken an upwards turn after the PSL. His motormouth tendencies were consistent all the time though

It's nice to see a Pakistani player pick up an overseas coaching gig so I hope he is successful.

Aqib was part of the Pakistan coaching staff around 2010 too

I vividly remember him giving throw downs to Mohammad Yousuf at Oval nets. He was giving him batting tips too and Yousuf was actually paying attention. This is no joke. The guy puts in the hard yards for whoever that hires him
He was coach from end of 2009 till english tour on 2010. You should hear his testioy about sydney test where he threw everyone under the bus. Point is guy is not ver stable mentally. I don't know how LQ has put up with him for so long, but then again LQ isn't a normal franchise either.

I don't know on which portfolio they have hired him as a coach as they can see his performance with Lahore Qalandars which is pathetic, he only knows how to criticise other nothing more than that!

Back