Rohit Sharma dropped from all formats for India's tour of Australia (2020/21)!

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Absolute shocker for me but seems his fitness an issue? What other reason could it be?

===

Rohit Sharma's exclusion from India's Test, ODI and T20I squads for the Australia tour came as a great surprise for many fans, who were eager to see their favourite star back in action for the national team. While announcing the squad, the BCCI's senior national selection committee said that the medical team will continue to monitor his progress.

Rohit has missed Mumbai Indians' last two league games in the ongoing IPL 2020 with a hamstring injury. Amidst his injury concerns, the franchise took to Instagram to share a few pictures of Rohit Sharma of doing what he does best -- smash ball out of the park. "Just what we love to see! Hitman in action at today's training," Mumbai Indians captioned the post.

Rohit, going about his business ahead of Mumbai Indians' next league game, left fans confused as they couldn't fathom the reason behind his omission from the national team. Many fans also pointed that if Rohit's injury is that serious why has he not been ruled out of the IPL.

In Rohit's absence, Kieron Pollard has taken over the leadership duties and managed to win one out of two games. Mumbai Indians suffered a eight-wicket loss against Rajasthan Royals, courtesy a sublime century from England all-rounder Ben Stokes who scored 107 not out off just 60 balls.

https://sports.ndtv.com/ipl-2020/ip...er-india-omission-leave-fans-confused-2316114

Last edited:
So Sharma out due to hamstring injury.

Hope we move on from him in tests at least.

There's nothing to gain in the long term by keeping him.

has beastly stats at home, surely there cant be too many who would outperform him in india.

Injury must be bad if he isn't going to play in the series. I thought it was only a short term injury!

Lol..
He is playing in nets. MI twitter handle confirmed.

What's going :misbah

Can't pick an injured player, can they? I predicted a year ago that he would run in to lower back issues if he does not lose that belly, so not surprised to hear about his hamstring issues. Rohit needs to work on his fitness, and needs to get fitter and leaner if he wants to survive for another 5 years. Something weird here as Virat and team started to take their fitness to another level, Rohit kept going the opposite route. Rohit was scoring runs, so Virat and BCCI could not say much, but it seems that they were ready to teach him a lesson as this is unacceptable from such a world class player. Shame on Rohit.

Won’t be much of a miss in tests. Prolly blessing in disguise

Can't pick an injured player, can they? I predicted a year ago that he would run in to lower back issues if he does not lose that belly, so not surprised to hear about his hamstring issues. Rohit needs to work on his fitness, and needs to get fitter and leaner if he wants to survive for another 5 years. Something weird here as Virat and team started to take their fitness to another level, Rohit kept going the opposite route. Rohit was scoring runs, so Virat and BCCI could not say much, but it seems that they were ready to teach him a lesson as this is unacceptable from such a world class player. Shame on Rohit.

I think your fitness matters even more when you get into your thirties.

Its insecure Kohli protecting himself nothing else. Imagine the outrage if it was a Pakistani captain

Bcci statement said that they are keeping an eye on his situation, maybe gets added back later?

has beastly stats at home, surely there cant be too many who would outperform him in india.

It's not like we'll lose without him. Better throw a budding youngster from the Ranji in instead.

I am glad they are considering fitness a tip priority and leaving out rohit and Pant based on that

A great talent who has been let down by his own temperament and Ind failures to find a role for him. He should have gone out like Sehwag did and attacked and no doubt there would have been failures but he would also succeeded more often than not and won games. Instead, he nudged and nurdled his way to failure.

So people praising India for dropping a super star like Rohit Sharma but Misbah is devil incarnate for telling nobodies like Sharjeel and Azam Khan to work on their fitness before selection?

Not fitness ....family may be the reason Rohit opt out....life in Bubble is really tough... Pant didn't do anything noteworthy...

Not that much of a loss.
Gill and Mayank would be much better than Rohit against new ball in overseas conditions.

Although Rohit could've been useful in the middle-order in Australia where it doesn't swing much and wickets are pretty flat as well.

Why would you drop someone with 3 test 100s in his last 3 tests? The injury before NZ tour did not help but he has learnt at least 5-6 tests as an opener.

A batting line up of Rohit, Mayank, Puajara, Kohli, Rahane (I would prefer Gill), Vihari (I would prefer Shreyas Iyer) looks lot more solid. Prithvi Shaw till he sorts out his fitness issues should not be picked

I am glad they are considering fitness a tip priority and leaving out rohit and Pant based on that

Bro he is young but definitely looks like a middle aged uncle. There should be no excuses for this especially when you are representing your country. Earning easy money in IPL could be one of the reason behind this. :inti

Yeah not a big loss. Ishant and Rohit Sharma both got injured during IPL but yeah it is a blessing in disguise lol. :inti

Ishant is a loss. Why he had to play the IPL and get injured is beyond me.

Ishant is a loss. Why he had to play the IPL and get injured is beyond me.

So you would have wanted to him to play in Australia after a 9 month long layoff having played no competitive cricket after the injury in Feb in the 1st test in NZ?

This whole argument of IPL resulting is injuries sounds totally absurd. You cannot wrap cricketers in cottonwool and expect them to appear fully fit for international matches. Also, the IPL argument may still be valid for someone who has played 5-6 back to back matches. That was not the case with Ishant and Bhuvi. Ishant bowled 3 overs and Bhuvi 16 overs in IPL after coming back from long injury layoffs.

Yeah not a big loss. Ishant and Rohit Sharma both got injured during IPL but yeah it is a blessing in disguise lol. :inti

Ofcourse Ishant is a big loss. Discussion is regarding Rohit. Read the thread title. :inti

Rohit won't be missed at all in Tests and I don't give a rat's aas about LOI bilaterals. It's actually for good may be Gill or Mayank get to play.

He even didn't play a single game completely.
Bowled only 3 overs in this IPL.
Cant blame IPL for Ishant's injury.

Bro he is young but definitely looks like a middle aged uncle. There should be no excuses for this especially when you are representing your country. Earning easy money in IPL could be one of the reason behind this. :inti

Prithvi Shaw too.

They dropped him based on his performances in overseas tests. He will not be missed in tests at all.

Yeah I am 100% behind dropping players, particularly young ones, if they dont meet the fitness standards. That's the minimum requirement for a sportsperson

Fitness and injury concerns seem to be the reason why, he netted for Mumbai so seems like he is on his way to recovery, one could argue he is being rested but thats out of the question, no serious cricket for the whole year pretty much because of covid, plus your playing the aussies you dont rest your best players for these bi games, intresting.

Australian pitches are really batting friendly nowadays. Sharma could have ran riot if he got going.

As for Rohit, great loss for us in LoIs at least.

Things will only get tougher for Sharmaji going forward- that beer belly is going to cost him lot. And, I am sure it’s not only hamstring - his knees can’t sustain that much body mass into mid 30s. Pro sportsmen are huge in size compared to normal people and our Mashrafee is among 1% of BD people - over 6’1”, and close to 89KG now ........ he looked like malnourished by the side of Sharma in Asia Cup two years back and I am sure Sharma has added few more KGs since then, two years older as well.

Might be a loss in Test, but IND has cover for him (at least not the biggest loss), but if he doesn’t make the LO leg, it’ll cost India the series - I can put my money right now that without RS firing, IND will come back blank in LO series.

Won't make much of a difference in T20s. Gill will get a chance in ODIs.

Things will only get tougher for Sharmaji going forward- that beer belly is going to cost him lot. And, I am sure it’s not only hamstring - his knees can’t sustain that much body mass into mid 30s. Pro sportsmen are huge in size compared to normal people and our Mashrafee is among 1% of BD people - over 6’1”, and close to 89KG now ........ he looked like malnourished by the side of Sharma in Asia Cup two years back and I am sure Sharma has added few more KGs since then, two years older as well.

Might be a loss in Test, but IND has cover for him (at least not the biggest loss), but if he doesn’t make the LO leg, it’ll cost India the series - I can put my money right now that without RS firing, IND will come back blank in LO series.
I don't think Australia will play their best team in lois and even if they do Shikher dhawan and kl rahul are in the form of their life so not sure about your prediction.

I don't think Australia will play their best team in lois and even if they do Shikher dhawan and kl rahul are in the form of their life so not sure about your prediction.

If not, I'll be more than happy to see Aussies being beaten ....no love lost. But, I just don't see an Indian team without Kohli in peak form (& with Kohli as Captain in peak form) and Sharma out - to beat AUS in LO cricket in AUS.

Siraj has been added to the test squad, is this a Kohli influenced selection or does he deserve the spot?

Former Indian cricket captain Sunil Gavaskar feels fans have a right to know about Rohit Sharma's current injury issue, and the reason behind his absence from India's upcoming tour of Australia. Speaking to Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 broadcaster Star Sports after Kings XI Punjab's win over Kolkata Knight Riders at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium, Gavaskar said, "Little bit of transparency and little bit of openness about what actually is the problem with him will help everybody."

Rohit Sharma was reported to be suffering from a left hamstring injury, which has seen Kieron Pollard take over the captaincy for Mumbai Indians (MI). The Indian cricket squad for the tour of Australia was announced on October 26, and the opener missed out on all three teams for Tests, ODIs and T20Is. But within hours of the announcement, he was seen practicing for his franchise in the nets.

"It's the Test matches. They start around the 17th of December, one and a half month away. If he's practicing in the nets for Mumbai Indians, then I don't know what kind of an injury it is," Gavaskar quipped.

Despite his injury, many fans feel Rohit could be back for MI towards the end of the season. He suffered the injury on October 18, during his side's match against KXIP.

KXIP opener Mayank Agarwal has also missed out his team's last two fixtures due to injury. Gavaskar feels that the Indian cricket fans have the right to know about the current condition of Agarwal too.

India is scheduled to tour Australia from next month after the IPL.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/aus...s-sunil-gavaskar-2316386?pfrom=home-sshowcase

Siraj has been added to the test squad, is this a Kohli influenced selection or does he deserve the spot?

He has done well in A tours of South Africa, Newzealand and England and has a great FC record, People judge him due to IPL and t20i stats but he is decent in red ball cricket.

Last edited:
Rohit Sharma is an extraordinary player in LOIs so is surely a big miss for Indian white ball team. His fitness has been in a steep decline for almost couple of years now but, he used to make it up by scoring runs due to his insane skills. However, at 33 years of age he cant keep going on with such fitness if he wants to play the WC in 2023.

So people praising India for dropping a super star like Rohit Sharma but Misbah is devil incarnate for telling nobodies like Sharjeel and Azam Khan to work on their fitness before selection?

And rightly so India should be praised for dropping a player of the calibre of Rohit Sharma.

Misbah on the other hand, was favouring his budday babbay pals for years under his captaincy and now for a year under his CS role.

Alhamdulillah he's been booted otherwise we'd still be witnessing all the expired and TTFs to the detriment, development and competitiveness of the team.

Australia are playing their strongest team against India. It doesn't matter what the format is. They will play a strong team.

Australia rarely plays their best team in LOI's when India tours so you are probably not putting your money on the right thing.
If Australia is full strength, then, yes, India stands no chance in LOI's.

What a joke of a drop this would be if he plays for MI again in IPL..

Australia rarely plays their best team in LOI's when India tours so you are probably not putting your money on the right thing.
If Australia is full strength, then, yes, India stands no chance in LOI's.

Australia got smashed in India last time
What you mean India has no chance ROFL. India full strength team is easily the strongest in odi. You mean if they play in Australia? In that case it's still 50 50. India have the bowling to beat Aussies in Australia too. Just like they did last time they toured. and no Smith doesn't do sh*t in odi's. Maybe Warner but he is a bit past it now.

He has done well in A tours of South Africa, Newzealand and England and has a great FC record, People judge him due to IPL and t20i stats but he is decent in red ball cricket.

Exactly. Don't judge players by IPL or T20 form ROFL. He is not a decent red ball bowler. He is actually a very GOOD red ball cricketer. Just want to make that clear.

It will be ridiculous if he plays even one game in IPL now.

What you mean India has no chance ROFL. India full strength team is easily the strongest in odi. You mean if they play in Australia? In that case it's still 50 50. India have the bowling to beat Aussies in Australia too. Just like they did last time they toured. and no Smith doesn't do sh*t in odi's. Maybe Warner but he is a bit past it now.

Calm down, obviously I am talking in Australia.
Whenever they played their best bowlers this Indian team of 2010's has never won in Australia.

You fantasize a lot mate. What happened to Ind when they were humilated in NZ last time around? Bowler got a hammering from latham of all people

You fantasize a lot mate. What happened to Ind when they were humilated in NZ last time around? Bowler got a hammering from latham of all people

So? N.z isnt Australia. What about 2018 when India won 4-1 in n.z with n.z's full strength team playing. It doesn't matter. It's pointless bilateral anyway.

It's actually harder to predict results. So many things come to play. You need to factor in form, injuries, fatigue etc.

https://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/ipl2020-rohit-drops-indian-cricketer-from-bio/20201028.htm

Rohit drops 'Indian Cricketer' from bio

Social media went into a meltdown after the Board of Control for Cricket in India excluded limited-overs vice-captain and star batsman Rohit Sharma in Team India's squads for Australia tour.

The BCCI announced Teams India to face Australia and the Mumbai Indian skipper did not feature in either of the T20I, ODI or Test sides.

Rohit did not play Mumbai Indians's last two games, is unlikely to play Wednesday's game and is likely to be fit only for the November 3 game.

Still, the Australia tour begins only at the end of November, and there is plenty of time for Rohit to get fully fit.

What startled observers was Mumbai Indians releasing photographs and videos of Rohit in the MI nets hours of being left out of Teams India.

Rohit has also removed 'India Cricketer' from his Twitter and Instagram bio which fanned rumours that all is not well in Team India, and that Rohit's exclusion is not linked to his hamstring injury.

Amidst all the fuss, Rohit spent a 'nice and relaxed evening at the beach' with wife Ritika Sajdeh on Tuesday.

Rohit shouldn't react this way, that's really unprofessional.
Its clear that there is some rivalry between kohli and Rohit.
We have seen this many times
Gavaskar Dev
Dravid tendu
Dravid ganguly
Dhoni sehwag
Dhoni yuvraj
Dhoni gambhir
And now
Kohli Sharma.
There's always a rivalry between the top 2 players in india and pakistan.
Haven't seen this in other teams.

Rohit shouldn't react this way, that's really unprofessional.
Its clear that there is some rivalry between kohli and Rohit.
We have seen this many times
Gavaskar Dev
Dravid tendu
Dravid ganguly
Dhoni sehwag
Dhoni yuvraj
Dhoni gambhir
And now
Kohli Sharma.
There's always a rivalry between the top 2 players in india and pakistan.
Haven't seen this in other teams.

He did many times in past.
He liked fans troll memes when KL Rahul selected over Rohit in tests.
He liked fans troll memes on Ansushka sharma and unfollowed her after lost his test spot in past.

r1.jpg

kl1.jpg

I dont think its Kohli's decision to drop him.
Dada and selectors are there.

BCCI or MI management should provide more details on his injury and other fitness issues.

Well, it will be clear today.
If he bats for mi today then bcci will need to justify their decision

According to TOI, Team India's physio told the selectors before the selection meeting that Rohit Sharma was unavailable for selection, without going specifics of the injury and he informed that 2-3 weeks rest for Rohit Sharma.

The controversy over Rohit Sharma’s non-selection for the tour of Australia refuses to die down. During the day BCCI announced the squad for the lengthy tour, Rohit, who was not selected due to an injury, was spotted practising for his IPL franchise Mumbai Indians.

Later, reports emerged that BCCI will reconsider him for the tour should he be able to prove his match fitness during the ongoing IPL 2020. Now, another report says that the extent of Rohit’s injury is severe than was being believed initially.

“Rohit’s injury is more severe than believed initially. The nets session video posted by the franchise on Monday may not be a true reflection of where it stands,” Hindustan Times quoted an unnamed BCCI source as saying.

Rohit is nursing a hamstring injury that has also rendered him unfit for the past two MI matches.

Indian team management has named KL Rahul as the limited-overs vice-captain in his absence.

Earlier, Sunil Gavaskar had raised questions over the selection asking for more transparency.

“We are talking about the Test matches, which are a month and a half way,” Gavaskar told broadcaster Star Sports on Monday. “And if he is practising in the nets for Mumbai Indians, then honestly I don’t know what kind of injury it is. I think a little bit of transparency, a little bit of openness about what actually is the problem with him will help everybody.”

“The Indian cricket fan deserves to know, more than anything else. The franchisees, I understand. They don’t want to give their hand away. They don’t want to give the oppositions any psychological advantage. But we are talking about the Indian team here. Even Mayank Agarwal for example. For an Indian cricket fan, they ought to know what happens to two of their key players,” he added.

Meanwhile, Cricket Australia on Wednesday announced the full schedule of the tour which gets underway on November 27 with a three-match T20I series.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...severe-than-believed-initially-reports-954417

Ravi Shastri reveals Rohit Sharma 'in danger of injuring himself again if not careful.

India's head coach Ravi Shastri has revealed that Rohit Sharma's medical report stated "he could be in danger of injuring himself again" and advised the batsman not to rush his comeback.

Rohit, who is recovering from a hamstring injury he suffered in the ongoing IPL, was left out of the India squad for the upcoming Australia tour on a day when he was seen hitting the nets for Mumbai Indians, sparking speculation on the status of his fitness. Shastri said the call not to include Rohit in the squad was taken by the selectors after going through his medical report.

"It's being handled by the people in charge of the medical part of it. We don't get involved in that. They have submitted a report to the selectors and they have gone about their business.

"I have no say, neither am I a part of the selection. All I know is the medical report which says he could be in danger of injuring himself again if he is not careful," Shastri told Times Now.

The tour of Australia comprises three T20Is, three ODIs and four Tests. The series is scheduled to start on November 27.

Shastri further advised Rohit not to make the same mistake he made during his own playing days.

"There is nothing more frustrating for a player than getting injured. Sometimes you know, you want to get out of that room of yours and try and see how quickly you can come back," he said.

"And therein lies the grey area. Therein lies the problem where you want to go and play, you want to test yourself. But only you will know at the back of your mind whether you are 100%, whether there is a chance going at it again." The BCCI is currently monitoring Rohit's progress and there is a possibility that he may play for Mumbai later in this IPL.

"What I fear, I have been through that as a cricketer myself. I finished my career in 1991 when I went back to Australia when I shouldn't have. If I had taken a break for three or four months, I could've played five years longer for India.

"So, I speak from experience. It is a similar case. I wanted to go. Doctors told me don't go. It was greed. I was in tremendous form so there was this eagerness to go back. I hope Rohit's case is not that serious and the same with Ishant (Sharma)."

Ishant, who plays for Delhi Capitals, also got injured during the IPL. Shastri said the Indian team is bound to miss players of Rohit and Ishant's calibre.

"Both Ishant and Rohit will be missed in Australia. Both were missed in New Zealand too. Ishant played a huge role in our win last time (in Australia) and Rohit played a huge role in the home series against South Africa (last year).

"Both these players have had a huge role to play for us to be at the top of the WTC standings."

In Rohit's absence, KL Rahul has been made the vice-captain. Shastri was not surprised with the selectors' decision.

"It is not surprising at all. He captained the side in New Zealand (during the T20I series) when Virat and Rohit were not on the field."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...lights-chennai-super-kings-vs-kings-xi-punjab

There's something more to it than meets the eye in this entire saga.

And how is KL Rahul vice captain? In the tests as well?

There's something more to it than meets the eye in this entire saga.

And how is KL Rahul vice captain? In the tests as well?

I think just it is just in ODIs and T20s that KL Rahul is vice captain. Rahane is the test vice captain.

"What I fear, I have been through that as a cricketer myself. I finished my career in 1991 when I went back to Australia when I shouldn't have. If I had taken a break for three or four months, I could've played five years longer for India.
Thank god, he didn't!

What black magic has KL Rahul done to Kohli and co that he always seems to be getting selected despite 0 performance.

I’m with Rohit in this matter, how can you drop/not select a player without being transparent about it. There is definitely something going on behind the scenes.

Now I really want Rohit to play Mumbai Indians playoff game(s) and possibly even win them their 5 championship.

Being the 5th lowest strike rate in ODI powerplay of the last 14 years, that's maybe the reason he has been dropped!

Being the 5th lowest strike rate in ODI powerplay of the last 14 years, that's maybe the reason he has been dropped!

The guy is arguably the greatest ODI opener of all time. 3 ODI double 100s. Career SR of near 90 and avging nearly 50.

A ODI innings doesn't last only 15 overs.

What black magic has KL Rahul done to Kohli and co that he always seems to be getting selected despite 0 performance.

I’m with Rohit in this matter, how can you drop/not select a player without being transparent about it. There is definitely something going on behind the scenes.

Now I really want Rohit to play Mumbai Indians playoff game(s) and possibly even win them their 5 championship.

I think BCCI aware of severity of the injury as per their observation, he had same hamstring injury before the nz series.
Probably they don't want to pick half fit players.
That's why Shastri hinting Rohit could be in danger of injuring himself again if not careful.

Better take rest.

I think BCCI aware of severity of the injury as per their observation, he had same hamstring injury before the nz series.
Probably they don't want to pick half fit players.
That's why Shastri hinting Rohit could be in danger of injuring himself again if not careful.

Better take rest.

They could have at least communicated with R Sharma and informed him about testing. But the way physio dropped him without even performing fitness drill makes it something suspicious. BCCI maybe right in dropping Sharma for fitness related problems which I’m not refuting, it just this whole saga could’ve been handled better.

Rohit needs to lose lot of weight and get in shape.

I think there has been a feud brewing for a long time between Rohit and Virat.

Back