Ross Taylor retires from International Cricket

hoshiarpurexpress

First Class Captain
Runs
Taylor signals summer swansong with Bangladesh Test series to be his last

Ross Taylor has confirmed this summer will be his last for the BLACKCAPS, marking the end of a remarkable 16-year international career.

Taylor signalled his intentions on the eve of the BLACKCAPS-Bangladesh Walton Test series, starting in Mount Maunganui on Saturday, confirming the two-match series would be his last in the Test whites, before bowing out in the ODIs against Australia and Netherlands later this summer.

The 37-year-old has been a mainstay in the BLACKCAPS batting order since making his debut in 2006, amassing a plethora of records and achievements, most notably rising to the top of New Zealand’s runs scoring (18,074) and appearances (445) charts.

Taylor acknowledged it wasn’t an easy decision to make but felt the time was right.

“It’s been an amazing journey and I feel incredibly fortunate to have represented my country for as long as I have,” he said

“It’s been such a privilege to play with and against some of the greats of the game and to have created so manymemories and friendships along the way.

“But all good things must come to an end and the timing feels right for me.

“I want to thank my family, friends and all those who have helped me get to this point.

“There’ll be plenty of time for more thank-yous and reflections later in the season - but for now I want all my energy and focus to be on preparing and performing for the BLACKCAPS this summer.”

Coach Gary Stead said Taylor would undoubtedly bow out as one of New Zealand’s greats.

“Ross has always been a hugely respected member of the side and we’re thankful for his contributions to the BLACKCAPS over an incredible career.

“His skills and temperament as a batsman have been world-class and his ability to perform at such a high level for so long speaks volumes of his longevity and professionalism.

“His experience has held the side together on countless occasions and his catching record speaks for itself. There’s no doubt we’re going to miss him when he’s gone.

“Seeing him hit the winning runs in Southampton to help win our first ICC World title is a moment I will never forget and I’m sure it’s the same for many of the fans.

“I know Ross is really focused on performing well in these remaining series and going out on the right note.”

BLACKCAPS captain Kane Williamson, unavailable for the Bangladesh series while he rehabilitates an elbow injury, said Taylor had given his all to the New Zealand team over the years, and wished him well for the upcoming two Tests.

“Ross has been at the core of the side for so long and can be extremely proud of having brought the game in this country to a better place.

“He’s a world class player, our best with the bat over such a long period of time and personally it’s been a pleasure to be involved in so many partnerships with him across the formats.

“We’ve shared some pretty cool moments together – most recently the World Test Championship Final which was obviously really special.

“As a senior player and a leader in the group he’s been a fantastic support person for me, especially out there in the field being able to tap into his experience.

“It’s a really exciting time for Ross when he can reflect on so many amazing moments throughout his career and I know all the guys are also looking forward to sharing the occasions with him as he is such a special player to this team.”

NZC chief executive David White said everyone knew this day would, eventually, arrive - but no-one wanted it to.

“Ross has been such a successful and influential part of the BLACKCAPS in all three formats that it’s hard to imagine the side without him,” he said.

“He’s been a colossus in the Test team; one of the chief contributors to the success New Zealand has achieved over the past eight or nine years, and one of our few, true batting “greats”.

“And he’s also been a giant of the white ball formats – particularly the 50-over game, in which he’s excelled.”

Mr White said Taylor was a leader, a fighter, and a terrific example for all who played alongside and against him.

“He’s very much earned the mana and respect he carries today.”

Taylor said he would remain available for Central Districts until the end of the season before making a decision on whether to continue playing domestic cricket.

Ross Taylor Records

Most runs for NZ in Tests (7584)
Most runs for NZ in ODIs (8581)
Most runs for NZ over all formats (18,074)
Most ODI 100s for NZ (21)
Most 100s for NZ in international cricket (40)
Most appearances for NZ in international cricket (445)
One of only four New Zealanders to play 100 tests (Vettori 112, Fleming 111, Taylor 110, McCullum 101)
First player from any country to make 100 international appearances in each of the three formats
Most catches for NZ by a fielder in international cricket (346)
Highest Test score in Australia by a visiting player (290 at Perth 2015). (There's been 432 tests played in Australia)
This is Taylor's 20th season in first-class cricket. Currently the longest surviving NZ first-class player still active (debut 2002/03)

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favourite player and batter.
Hopefully scores big in his last series.
Best of luck Rosco for the future.
Hope to see you travel to India may be with RCB.

Very good player and retiring at right time with grace, unlike recent trend in Pakistan , where 40 plus players kept on playing.

Very good player and retiring at right time with grace, unlike recent trend in Pakistan , where 40 plus players kept on playing.

37 (Real age) is the ripe age for Pakistan batsmen to make debuts and to hav e a long 6-7 year lustrious careers.

What a great batsman he has been for NZ. A match winner in every format and surely one their best ever!

Amazing cricketer. He retires as NZ's greatest LOI cricketer in my opinion and a NZ great in test too.

The WC is 2 years away. Why is he leaving his team high and dry?

The WC is 2 years away. Why is he leaving his team high and dry?

Lol ‘leaving team high and dry’

Yeah good Pakistan Cricketingg thinking

Keep someone way past their prime to keep out spots for more deserving players and perform atrociously.

Just like Javed Miandad in 1996 and Younis Khan at WC 2015, Shoaib Malik at 2019 WC

Superb performances

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Today I'm announcing my retirement from international cricket at the conclusion of the home summer, two more tests against Bangladesh, and six odi’s against Australia & the Netherlands. Thank you for 17 years of incredible support. It’s been an honour to represent my country #234 <a href="https://t.co/OTy1rsxkYp">pic.twitter.com/OTy1rsxkYp</a></p>— Ross Taylor (@RossLTaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/RossLTaylor/status/1476339755184902145?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 29, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good decision at the right time.

What a brilliant player Ross has been!

An incredible servant to NZ cricket and a national ATG for sure.

Brilliant player, controversy free, been a match winner for kiwis and with a record to be proud of. Good luck to him for post retirement life.

Ross getting a guard of honour from the Bangladesh team as he walks out to bat in his final Test.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 100.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/rlflye" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Is Ross Taylor the greatest Samoan to have played cricketer?

Maybe I should say Polynesian but it's still not a very long list, the only other contender for that title I can think of is Jesse Ryder.

Not very hard to be greatest among a very small pool of players . How many Samoans/ Polynesians have played Cricket for NZ ?

Adam Parore and Daryl Tuffey were also Samoans ?

Ross Taylor finishes his Test career with a wicket to clinch a huge win and 12 #WTC23 points for New Zealand!

Ross Taylor:

It's great to finish off your career with a win and a wicket, I wanted to finish off with a win and the guys did it. Bangladesh put us under a lot of pressure a number of times, it's only fair that we share the series. We were under pressure at the start of the match, but then we got the runs that put us in a good stead, the boys returned well with the ball yesterday afternoon. The series was great - I was wondering if we need to come back tomorrow, but the boys were fantastic. It became a bit funky towards the end, I chucked it up and Tom (Latham) said it was the most precious thing I did over the whole game. I have thoroughly enjoyed representing my country, have played a lot here (in Christchurch), spent a lot of time and it's a great way to finish

Get's a wicket in his last test match as well. What a great ending to an amazing career.
Go well Rossco...Thank you for the memories.

Many happy returns Mr Taylor and a happy retirement to you Sir.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you Taylors ❤️ <a href="https://t.co/mNl2aCOLo5">pic.twitter.com/mNl2aCOLo5</a></p>— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BLACKCAPS/status/1480788332065951745?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 11, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ford Trophy leaders the Central Stags have maintained their position at the top of the table after master batsman Ross Taylor today smashed the fastest century in the competition's history.

After the Stags were sent in by the Wellington Firebirds in a rain-reduced, 29-over game at Pukekura Park, Taylor hit his hundred off 49 balls - breaking Peter Fulton's 50-ball record for the fastest century, set for Canterbury in the 2016/17 Grand Final against the Firebirds in Rangiora, by one ball.

Taylor reached three figures in the final over and finished unbeaten on 111 not out off 51 balls (14 boundaries, five sixes), propelling the Stags to a strong total of 310 for five.

He had key support from big-hitter Josh Clarkson who cracked 58 off just 35 balls in his 50th List A appearance, in a 115-run stand for the fourth wicket that built on an opening platform from Bayley Wiggins (46) and Ben Smith (37).

Remarkably, Taylor's record feat almost immediately came under threat.

Needing more than 10 an over from the outset, with a minimum 20 overs required for a result, the Firebirds were also in a race against the clock before the sun disappeared behind the terraces and bad light came into play.

Finn Allen blasted 49 off 29 balls, but Seth Rance and spinner Jayden Lennox countered with early wickets - Lennox eventually trapping Allen at 100/4 in the 14th over.

Michael Bracewell was the Stags' nemesis at this ground in the Dream11 Super Smash when he blasted his match-winning maiden T20 ton here earlier this summer. Bracewell picked up where he had left off then as he took over the responsibility for escalating the strike rate, and powered to 93 off just 42 balls - with the ball replaced three times as it was sent on its way out of the park.

All up, he thundered eight sixes and six boundaries, with Taylor's record in danger of surviving for little more than an hour.

But Lennox struck again to have Bracewell caught on the cusp, the Firebirds 184/6 and still behind the DLS par score of 227 on what proved to be the final delivery of the day before bad light ended play.

Bracewell's ballistics were not entirely in vain however, having denied the unbeaten Stags a bonus point by just three runs.

Taylor's century was his second List A hundred at Pukekura Park (the last having been against the Otago Volts in 2006); his fifth overall for the Central Stags; and the 26th List A century of his overall career.

Taylor's fastest Ford Trophy century is also the third fastest List A century on New Zealand soil, after Corey Anderson's 36-ball national record against the West Indies at Queenstown in 2014 and Jesse Ryder's 46-ball century, also against the West Indies in Queenstown in 2014. Taylor's ton sits among the 31 fastest (by balls) List A centuries worldwide.

The two teams will meet in another top of the table encounter at the same venue on Sunday, which will be the Firebirds' final match in the regular season while the Stags will have one game remaining in Auckland. The top two teams at the end of the regular season will proceed to the Grand Final on 26 February.

fs2zaVS.png

Playing his 450th and final game of cricket for New Zealand, Ross Taylor got a well-deserved guard of honor while playing the third one-day international against the Netherlands on Monday.

Rock-solid resistance and ruthless batting prowess - Ross Taylor showcased it both during his 16-year-long international career, which featured astonishing achievements and countless memories to cherish.

Playing his final and 450th international match against Netherlands in his hometown Hamilton, an emotional Ross Taylor could not hold back the tears as he entered the arena in New Zealand colours for one last time.

Taylor walked in to bat when New Zealand were cruising along at 215-2 and scored 14 off 16 balls in his final appearance, getting out caught and bowled to Logan van Beek in an attempt to push the scoring-rate further. New Zealand eventually finished at 333/8, a score that helped them secure a 115-run win to complete a 3-0 series whitewash.

From winning the inaugural ICC World Test Championship to scoring the highest score by a New Zealand batter in Australia, Taylor was a part of several glorious moments for New Zealand and retired as the country’s most prolific run-getter across formats – 18,199 runs at a highly impressive average of 42.72. Taylor played 112 Tests, 236 ODIs, and 102 T20Is making him the only record holder of a unique achievement of being the only cricketer to make 100 appearances in each of the three international formats.

A dependable force in the New Zealand camp, Taylor’s search for an ICC title for his country ended when they defeated India in the ICC World Test Championship Final in Southampton in June 2021. Taylor remained unbeaten at 47 in a run-chase of 139, completing the task with a trademark flick in the final session of the Test.

Career-best 290 against Australia

Taylor batting against Australia in Perth (2015)Taylor batting against Australia in Perth (2015)
Taylor’s finest performance in Tests came against Australia in 2015 at the WACA, Perth, when he smashed the highest score by a New Zealand player Down Under – 290 in 374 balls. The memorable innings, which spanned over nine hours featured 43 fours and helped the Black Caps save the Test after Australia scored a towering 559/9d in the first innings.

Match-winning 181* versus England

Taylor's knock of 181 not out against England in DunedinTaylor's knock of 181 not out against England in Dunedin

Taylor’s ODI best of 181* came during a challenging run-chase of 336 against a formidable England side in Dunedin in 2018. New Zealand stumbled at the beginning, with openers Martin Guptill and Colin Munro both registering ducks. But Taylor’s determination on the day ensured New Zealand scampered home safely with three balls to spare. His brisk knock was laced with 17 fours and six sixes.

Fighting fifty in semi-final against India

With the ICC ODI World Cup 2019 Final on the line, New Zealand’s talismanic Taylor rose to the occasion once again, starring with a match-defining 74 off 90 deliveries in the first semi-final against India at Old Trafford, Manchester. Taylor’s exploits with the bat helped his side set a competitive total of 239, before New Zealand’s bowling restricted India to 221 to romp into their second straight World Cup final.

A blistering World Cup century against Pakistan

On his 27th birthday, Taylor smashed an unbeaten 131 against Pakistan in the ICC Men’s ODI World Cup 2011 Group fixture in Pallekele. A Player of the Match worthy performance, Taylor unleashed carnage to help New Zealand add 92 runs in the final five overs to take their total to 302/7, laying the foundation of a comprehensive 110-run win. An innings best remembered for his fiery assault on Shoaib Akhtar was another reminder of his skills as a supreme all-round batter.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2562211

Auckland: Former New Zealand cricketer Ross Taylor, who retired from all forms of international cricket earlier this year, is not averse to returning on the cricket field, albeit as a T20 player or as a coach.

One of the most celebrated Blacks Caps player, Taylor, who was part of the side that defeated India in the World Test Championship final in England last year, was honoured in the Queen’s Birthday honours earlier this week with a New Zealand Order of Merit (CNZM), said on Friday “never say never to coaching”, when asked if he was open to the role.

“Yeah, a bit of both (coaching and playing). You never say never to coaching but first and foremost I still love playing the game and want to try and play it as much as I can while I can,” the 38-year-old Taylor said when asked by SENZ Mornings if he had any thoughts about coaching or playing in some areas.

Taylor is currently involved in Maori cricket and is looking at the lucrative T20 market to return to the cricket field.

“I’m looking forward to playing with Central Districts over the summer, there are a few tournaments that I’ve signed up to go to as well. I enjoy playing the game still and giving back to it in any way. I did miss the game a little bit the other day at Lord’s (first Test between England and New Zealand), but there are also elements that I didn’t miss and I guess made my decision content.”

With former teammates such as Brendon McCullum (new England head coach) and Daniel Vettori (new assistant coach with Australia) having signed up lucrative contracts, Taylor said that while he wasn’t thinking about coaching roles in the immediate future, he wouldn’t rule them out completely.

“Probably not at the moment but I guess being a batting coach or a head coach, a lot of players I played with that I never thought would get into head coaching or be a coach in general (have taken that route),” he added.

“We just have to wait and see. I’ve been successful at one job, hopefully I have the passion to be successful at whatever I do after cricket as well.”

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...n-to-t20-cricket-coaching-roles-later-1025968

Back