Shining a Cricket Ball

slice

Local Club Regular
Runs
i have never tried this.could anyone tell me how it will work.
mostly i have seen bowlers shine the ball by rubbing on saliva.it is usually a very thin layer and they apply very little of it.what if we rub mucus onto it.that found in the nose and back of the throat which is very gooey and slimy.would it shine the ball better and what if we leave the layer on instead of rubbing it all over.will it make the ball swing differently or cause it to skid dramaticaly

i have never tried this.could anyone tell me how it will work.
mostly i have seen bowlers shine the ball by rubbing on saliva.it is usually a very thin layer and they apply very little of it.what if we rub mucus onto it.that found in the nose and back of the throat which is very gooey and slimy.would it shine the ball better and what if we leave the layer on instead of rubbing it all over.will it make the ball swing differently or cause it to skid dramaticaly

I'm not sure that it would have any adverse effects on the behaviour of the ball but one question I have to ask is would you be prepared to do this? Numerous people would be putting their mucus upon the cherry and then you would have to bowl with it. I'm pretty sure it would affect your concentration and would make you not want to have a firm grip on the ball.

one should not be afraid of hard work and gettting ones hands dirty

one should not be afraid of hard work and gettting ones hands dirty

Assalamu Alaikum,

I agree, but would you feel entirely comfortable running in to bowl thinking that their is mucus over the ball? I'm sure it would affect your concentration as when you are running in to bowl you should have a clear mind, focusing on how to oust the batsman from the crease. In addition, I'm wondering whether it would have any adverse affects on grip as mucus is quite slimy and so would be slippery when you applied grip to the ball. Furthermore, I'd like you to the think about these two questions: would it not be considered ball-tampering? And what would the umpire say when you returned the ball to him when a wicket is taken?

Last edited:
Yeah but the thing is there will be mucus on the ball, then someone else will use saliva on the ball, when they are using saliva they might put their hand in their mouth, you might aswell lick someones mucus or snot from their face.

Assalamu Alaikum,

I agree, but would you feel entirely comfortable running in to bowl thinking that their is mucus over the ball? I'm sure it would affect your concentration as when you are running in to bowl you should have a clear mind, focusing on how to oust the batsman from the crease. In addition, I'm wondering whether it would have any adverse affects on grip as mucus is quite slimy and so would be slippery when you applied grip to the ball. Furthermore, I'd like you to the think about these two questions: would it not be considered ball-tampering? And what would the umpire say when you returned the ball to him when a wicket is taken?

let the umpire think what he wants or if he is a bit squeamish he can just place the ball on the ground.and it will not be considerd ball tampering because it is legal to apply natural body secretions to the ball.

let the umpire think what he wants or if he is a bit squeamish he can just place the ball on the ground.and it will not be considerd ball tampering because it is legal to apply natural body secretions to the ball.

If you want to do it, then do it. However, I strongly advise you not to. Another reason why is because spinners (I think you should have at least one in your team) would desire for the ball to be dry and so making the ball slippery would be of great disadvantage to their bowling.

Back