Shoaib Akhtar on modern pacers: ‘Badtameezi is missing….Hayden and I once picked a knife and fork against each other’

hoshiarpurexpress

First Class Captain
Runs

The Rawalpindi Express isn’t amused by the mannerisms of modern day pacers, the likes of Shaheen Shah Afridi, Jasprit Bumrah and Mark Wood. While he has praise to shower upon them, there is also a criticism of the likes and modern cricket itself.

“Badtameezi missing hai (The misbehavior is missing),” Shoaib Akhtar rues to Sorabh Pant in a video on the latter’s YouTube channel. “Even I was bowling at 135kph, but the curses will only be given at 145kph. That is missing. Come on, hit someone here and there. What will happen? You’ll only get fined, right? What then? The batters keep hitting you, why?

It’s stupid. Give a rugby tackle. I wouldn’t mind that boss. Just have a little bit of flair in cricket. Every sport in the world has fights. In a decent way. What do you think happens in Ice Hockey? What happens in football? Don’t they headbutt, punch? What kind of rule have you made, ‘Oh, we can’t cuss. We have to appeal whilst looking at the umpire.’ Are you playing gestures or cricket here?”

Akhtar then shares an incident from his playing days when the fabled Pakistan pacer was willing to knife former Australia opener Matthew Hayden on breakfast table ahead of their game.

“Me and Matthew Hayden, once picked a knife and a fork at breakfast against each other. Both willing to beat each other up. Thank god my trainer intervened, otherwise Hayden would’ve made a chutney out of me,” Akhtar says with a chuckle.

Beyond the above though, there is also adulation for the modern pioneers of the pace bowling art.

“I like Shaheen and Naseem (Shah). (Mohammad) Amir was very good. Bumrah was very good,” says Akhtar. “When I look at these people, I assess them whether they are injury prone or not. Will they sustain or not. I look at a lot of things. Such as in Mark Wood’s follow through, he collapses, which is why he loses pace. He needs to hold his follow through. But he’s a very exciting talent. So is Chris Woakes. He literally balanced the Ashes in favor of England. Ye jaandaar log hai (They are daring).”

The 48-year-old then shares his opinion on Indian pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah’s recent injury troubles, and that he’d seen it coming. “Bumrah jaandaar tha (Bumrah was daring). But with that run up it was always going to be difficult to sustain. I had predicted this from day one that he will face problems. He played his heart out. This is the best thing that I like about him,” he says.

The 29-year-old had recently made his comeback to professional cricket after almost a year’s time, recovering from a recurring back injury and led the Indian side to a 2-0 T20I bilateral series win in Ireland, also finishing as the leading wicket taker. Bumrah is currently part of the Indian squad at the Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, but is yet to bowl a delivery for the men in blue in ODIs. The pacer had left for Mumbai ahead of India’s game against Nepal last week for the birth of his son.

Akhtar then terms Pakistan’s contemporary new ball pacer, Shaheen Shah Afridi as a ‘great asset’. The left arm quick is currently the second highest wicket taker at the ongoing Asia Cup, with eight scalps. Afridi alongside Naseem Shah and Haris Rauf, makes for the pace trio that has been touted as one of the best bowling attacks going into the ODI World Cup this year. The three share 68 wickets between each other in the 50-overs format this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how Pakistani fans put up with all the humiliation they have to go through because of this guy.

When English players retire the get mbe obe etc

When Pak players retire they should get muzzles put on !!

When English players retire the get mbe obe etc

When Pak players retire they should get muzzles put on !!
😂😂 Not every Pakistani player though. Some like Akram are very well spoken.

😂😂 Not every Pakistani player though. Some like Akram are very well spoken.
Would you see nz sa players go on cheap talk shows exposing there cricket boards & ex players chatting poo just for the sake of it.

Would you see nz sa players go on cheap talk shows exposing there cricket boards & ex players chatting poo just for the sake of it.
Cricket isn’t big in those countries. Fans from the subcontinent salivate masala from ex cricketers.

What the heck? What is this nonsense? What knife and fork? What does he want naseem and shaheen to do? Trash talk?

Shoaib acts like a thug most of times. Either he is praising the playboy days of IK or bullying on the field of play now. What he wants to say is our bowlers lack aggression and the ability to backchat the batsmen.

Shoaib is right, people who are upset with his comments need to man up fr.

The whole point of sledging is to get into the batsman’s head, make him play a shot he wouldn’t usually play. Instead, when our fast bowlers beat the batsman’s bat, they’ll just smile and walk back to their bowling mark? Why are you smiling for, you didn’t get a wicket.

The last time we probably saw a Pakistani bowler that looked like he had murder on his mind was back in 2015 in the WC QF.

Most of the criticism of the board is because it is cheap and has no standards itself.

Shoaib acts like a thug most of times. Either he is praising the playboy days of IK or bullying on the field of play now. What he wants to say is our bowlers lack aggression and the ability to backchat the batsmen.

Yes and taken in the right context his comments are spot on. His language and example may not be to everyone’s liking but his message is correct

Yes and taken in the right context his comments are spot on. His language and example may not be to everyone’s liking but his message is correct
At least the bowlers he is referring to are not always injured like he was. We can make jokes about his injury record too and his off field antics during his career.

Akhtar was a paper tiger. He only showed eyes to the batsmen when they were not retaliating. The moment they fought back, he would cower.

Throughout his career, I can only recall one instance where a batsman confronted Shoaib but Shoaib didn’t back out and that was against Steve Waugh in the 99 World Cup group game that Pakistan won.

On all other occasions, Shoaib would back off as soon as the batsmen would respond to his expletives.

If he started a cutlery war with Hayden at the breakfast table then I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the one to run away as soon as Hayden got hold of a spoon or whatever.

Shoaib was a bully and bullies are the first ones to retreat when they meet their match.

Shoaib was a bully and bullies are the first ones to retreat when they meet their match.

If you listen to him now, that is not the impression you would come away with!

Shoaib was more interested in impressing India and Bollywood then doing well for Pak. I was never a fan off his even when he played.

Shoaib Akhtar talks alot but what I have seen Akhtar play from 2005 till his retirement there was only instances where he sledge the opposition and that was during the 2010 asia cup against Harbajan. Maybe before 2005 he used to sledge i dont know, but never really saw him do it after 2005.

Akhtar didnt really sledge he just bowled bouncers and beamers. Now in Wahab Riaz's head he might also be some guy that used to bully the opposition. How so? Just based on that one stupid spell against Watson (who he couldnt even manage to get out).

So alot of times when former players show themselves as big bullies, well they werent really.

I also agree that players should sledge and play dirty but the thing is, if they do so, former players and fans will get angry and wont accept it.

Now this what exactly Afghanistan does with Pakistan, and Pakistani fans cry soo much that they talk about not wanting to play with Afghanistan. If the likes of Shaheen, Naseem or Rauf do sledging with Indian players and we lose that game, our fans and people like Akhtar will than make videos saying apni ukaat dekho, virat jaisey player ko ankhay dekhai.

The only true sledger from Pakistan was Miandad. Rest i have only seen sledging from Australia and the 200-2007 team of South Africa.

It's fair to say Shoaib talks a lot of nonsense and his bravado didn't always translate into results. However it's also true the modern game has become quite sanitised. The most recent exception was this summer's Ashes where there was some needle.

One of the cricket clips I rewatch every so often is this passage of play between Justin Langer and Shoaib from the MCG Test in 2004. Love the wry smile from Damien Martyn who's perfectly content to watch from the non-striker's end, and the fact the commentators know well enough to let the theatre play itself out. Somebody like Rameez would've ruined it by talking all over it.

Could've done without the spit though.

Akhtar was a paper tiger. He only showed eyes to the batsmen when they were not retaliating. The moment they fought back, he would cower.

Throughout his career, I can only recall one instance where a batsman confronted Shoaib but Shoaib didn’t back out and that was against Steve Waugh in the 99 World Cup group game that Pakistan won.

On all other occasions, Shoaib would back off as soon as the batsmen would respond to his expletives.

If he started a cutlery war with Hayden at the breakfast table then I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the one to run away as soon as Hayden got hold of a spoon or whatever.

This is a generic rant trying to prove some cliche point that “bully gets bullied” etc etc.

I don’t even know how old some of you are or how much cricket you’ve actually watched.

He gave a lot to the Aussies over the years. He gave a lot in the 1999 Series. He gave a lot in the 2002 ODI series Vs Aus. South Africa 1998, 2003 series.

England 2005 to Pieterson and Flintoff

I could go on.

People just pick a few instances where he walked off with INJURY and translate that in to walking away from battle.

Look at the current bowlers in the world. They can hardly last a few spells and most of these guys bowl no faster than 88mph.

This is the fastest bowler ever with some serious physical issues - obv he was going to get injured.

At least the bowlers he is referring to are not always injured like he was. We can make jokes about his injury record too and his off field antics during his career.
They are always injured lol

Naseem, Shaheen, Bumrah, Wood, Rauf, Lockie they all have chequered injury records.

No way would the Aussies be afraid of Shoaib. He ain't gonna eye ball the kangaroo! :)

It's fair to say Shoaib talks a lot of nonsense and his bravado didn't always translate into results. However it's also true the modern game has become quite sanitised. The most recent exception was this summer's Ashes where there was some needle.

One of the cricket clips I rewatch every so often is this passage of play between Justin Langer and Shoaib from the MCG Test in 2004. Love the wry smile from Damien Martyn who's perfectly content to watch from the non-striker's end, and the fact the commentators know well enough to let the theatre play itself out. Somebody like Rameez would've ruined it by talking all over it.

Could've done without the spit though.
the rameez raja part is soo accurate lool

This is a generic rant trying to prove some cliche point that “bully gets bullied” etc etc.

I don’t even know how old some of you are or how much cricket you’ve actually watched.

He gave a lot to the Aussies over the years. He gave a lot in the 1999 Series. He gave a lot in the 2002 ODI series Vs Aus. South Africa 1998, 2003 series.

England 2005 to Pieterson and Flintoff

I could go on.

People just pick a few instances where he walked off with INJURY and translate that in to walking away from battle.

Look at the current bowlers in the world. They can hardly last a few spells and most of these guys bowl no faster than 88mph.

This is the fastest bowler ever with some serious physical issues - obv he was going to get injured.

Don’t talk about modern pacers. All of them are better than the guy with only 174 Test wickets. Shoaib is a nobody. A talker, nothing more.

Fastest bowler this and that. All his fastest deliveries were easily negotiated by the batsmen (Nick Knight 2003) and the fastest bowler ever had to resort to slower ones to outfox England in 2005. How embarrassing is that.

Shoaib is the most overrated bowler in history with forgettable achievements.

Don’t talk about modern pacers. All of them are better than the guy with only 174 Test wickets. Shoaib is a nobody. A talker, nothing more.

Fastest bowler this and that. All his fastest deliveries were easily negotiated by the batsmen (Nick Knight 2003) and the fastest bowler ever had to resort to slower ones to outfox England in 2005. How embarrassing is that.

name me one pak bowler since who has more wickets?

again displaying mainstream knowledge of the past.

Did you watch his spells Vs NZ 97-99mph - 6 wickets.

Spells Vs Windies 2002 - buckets of wickets.

Next time do a little bit of research and let me know if you need help

I think Shoaib would have struggled in the present era where modern batsmen are no longer scared of 150 km/hr pace. He played mostly in an era where batters would be vary of bowlers bowling 145 km/hr plus

again displaying mainstream knowledge of the past.

Did you watch his spells Vs NZ 97-99mph - 6 wickets.

Spells Vs Windies 2002 - buckets of wickets.

Next time do a little bit of research and let me know if you need help
Yes I did. He bullied New Zealand in 2001-2002 very badly, but that New Zealand team would get ripped apart by the New Zealand team of the 2010s and 2020s.

Shoaib has bowled plenty of good spells against good teams. He nearly won the Colombo Test against legendary Australia in 2002, but overall, his reputation and his narrations of the past are more impressive than his actual performances.

You can count on one hand the number of big matches or series he won for Pakistan. More often than not he flattered to deceive.

Not to mention he won zero ICC trophies and his individual performances apart from 99 World Cup were pretty ordinary as well.

There is no reason to worship him or wax lyrical about his career.

I think Shoaib would have struggled in the present era where modern batsmen are no longer scared of 150 km/hr pace. He played mostly in an era where batters would be vary of bowlers bowling 145 km/hr plus
How many consistent 150k pacers are there even to test this theory

Mark Wood bowled one 152-155k spell and the Aussies and they didn’t know what hit them. He bowled a spell at Pakistan and they were all hopping. We all know what happened in Mitchell Johnson’s Ashes and that wasn’t too long ago.

Personally I think it’s the opposite - shoaib and Lee would have cleaned up in the current era

I've heard Shoaib narrate this incident maybe a decade back on Indian sports tv. And Hayden was with him. It was a terribly cringe exchange and I remember it, because at the time, I still had some respect for Shoaib, and what I saw was in contrast to the image he gave off.

The incident happened if I'm not mistaken in Australia at breakfast. Shoaib recalling the incident was all smiley smiley, but Hayden looked menacing throughout and didn't smile at all.

Then Shoaib tried to make it sound funny by saying Hayden was jealous of his looks. He was speaking in this awkward accent and Hayden took a while to understand what he was saying. When he finally did, he said something like, "Oh right... we used to call you Actor."

This was the first time I had heard the usage of Actor vis-a-vis Shoaib and it seemed apt because of the phonetic similarity to Akhtar. Anyway, at this point Shoaib giggled and said something about how it was true he had the looks of an actor, to which Hayden responded that they used to laugh at him, not admire him :rp

It was just awful.

Coming to this current interview, when Shoaib says he was lucky the trainer intervened, it sounds about right, because that day, man, Hayden looked really aggressive, even though he was on a TV show, while Shoaib looked like a quiet mouse ready to scurry away.

True story as I recall it, I believe, without bias.

Yes, it doesn't seem the right thing to be too friendly off the pitch with your opposition. You have to show aggression and passion so your opponents can sense that you are here to fight for victory. Sports is much better when players are playing with greater passion and giving their all.

Thank god I'm not playing now. The way batters insult bowlers these days...': Akhtar's blunt assessment of modern game​

In recent years, the cricketing landscape has witnessed a significant transformation in player schedules, becoming increasingly demanding with the proliferation of various T20 franchise leagues. The inception of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in 2008 marked the beginning of a trend, with many cricket-playing nations adopting the concept and launching their own T20 leagues. Leagues like the Big Bash League (BBL) in Australia, the Pakistan Super League (PSL), and the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) soon became prominent fixtures on the global cricketing calendar. Last year, South Africa introduced the SA20, while the United Arab Emirates initiated the International League T20 (ILT20), further expanding the landscape of T20 franchise cricket.

Among these leagues, the ILT20 has experienced a remarkable surge in participation, attracting a substantial number of players. The league's popularity has become so pronounced that several players opted to leave the Big Bash League before the playoffs to join their respective franchises in the ILT20. While these leagues offer lucrative opportunities for players, the proliferation of multiple T20 competitions has raised concerns about player availability for international commitments. Cricket South Africa faced such challenges, necessitating them to name a second-string squad for a Test series against New Zealand as their first-team players were mandated to participate in the SA20, a league crucial for the board's financial prospects.

Former Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, who serves as the brand ambassador for the ILT20, addressed the advent of such leagues at the tournament's sidelines. Akhtar acknowledged that the rise of these T20 leagues is inevitable, given the financial incentives they provide to players and cricket boards alike.

"We will have to see the priorities. The players now have to plan their year according to their national team and the league schedules at the same time. It is difficult for the players to manage their careers because they are playing way too much T20 cricket. But this is the way forward, right? And this is the way forward for broadcasters. Because they are demanding the shortest format of cricket. The interest of this generation has been reduced to one or two hours. As I said, the priorities have changed. But I'm glad that cricket is growing; I want this game to be global rather than a couple of regions,” Akhtar told Hindustan Times.

Source : The Hindustan Times

He was an absolute bully. Used to bowl deliberate beamers when he could not buy a wicket despite getting massive reverse from a tampered ball

3 incidents stand out.

Beamer to Langer in 99/00

Beamer to Kallis in 03 . Kallis smashed his 150 kph reverse swinging ball to the covers and then dispatched a throat ball to square leg.

Shoaib followed it with a terrible beamer that hurt and shook Kallis and got him the next ball.

Beamer to Dhoni 2006.

That beamer to Langer was unproductive though as Langer bullied him with the bat worse than any batter he bowled to.

He was an absolute bully. Used to bowl deliberate beamers when he could not buy a wicket despite getting massive reverse from a tampered ball

3 incidents stand out.

Beamer to Langer in 99/00

Beamer to Kallis in 03 . Kallis smashed his 150 kph reverse swinging ball to the covers and then dispatched a throat ball to square leg.

Shoaib followed it with a terrible beamer that hurt and shook Kallis and got him the next ball.

Beamer to Dhoni 2006.

That beamer to Langer was unproductive though as Langer bullied him with the bat worse than any batter he bowled to.
Some people just love fantasizing, Akhtar is one of them. He should seriously make a high-budget movie and release his dopamine.

Badtameezi is missing because there are now demerit points. Players do not want to get suspended perhaps.

Also, players now play in various franchise leagues. Behaving poorly can affect their T20 contracts.

What is wrong with Shoaib Akhtar? Harbhajan Singh and Shoaib Akhtar are working together for ILT20 2024, and he has been posting photos with Harbhajan Singh on Twitter and Instagram. However, Harbhajan hasn't bothered to post anything about Shoaib Akhtar. Why is there a need for Shoaib Akhtar to show extra care and friendship?

Biggest on and off player in cricket got much support than his stats suggest amused that he thinks cricket is growing globally

What is wrong with Shoaib Akhtar? Harbhajan Singh and Shoaib Akhtar are working together for ILT20 2024, and he has been posting photos with Harbhajan Singh on Twitter and Instagram. However, Harbhajan hasn't bothered to post anything about Shoaib Akhtar. Why is there a need for Shoaib Akhtar to show extra care and friendship?
Because he is shameless.

I feel Akhtar loves to say outrageous things to be in spotlight. Good for his Social Media presence.

Shoaib was a showman and an entertainer. He’s still entertaining the public even after retiring a decade ago.

People should stop taking his words literally and stop being snowflakes.

What is sohaib even talking about? So the solution is to act like hooligans rather then showing professional sportsmanship?

Let the bat and ball do the talking. Words means nothing.

What is sohaib even talking about? So the solution is to act like hooligans rather then showing professional sportsmanship?

Let the bat and ball do the talking. Words means nothing.

Being a hooligan may not help in today's era. There are now demerit points. A bowler can also lose out on T20 contracts for being unfriendly.

By the way, good to see you back. Haven't seen you in a long time.

Being a hooligan may not help in today's era. There are now demerit points. A bowler can also lose out on T20 contracts for being unfriendly.

By the way, good to see you back. Haven't seen you in a long time.
Ik bro, that's what I said.

This whole knives and forkes drama just gets players banned for a few games more or less.

Shoaib is an insecure man. He is not a particularly intelligent fellow, but deep down he is aware that he doesn’t have much of a legacy.

He has only 174 Test wickets and he won 0 ICC trophies. His entire career achievements can be summarized in 1-2 lines.

As a result, he makes hyperbolic statements, he exaggerates his career achievements and he attempts to rewrite history.

All in all, he seems like a very troubled individual who has nothing but regrets about his past.

Dear lord. This is awful. I love shoaib but knife and fork. Chutney? Lol

Shoaib has a fiery personality. He wats the bowlers to go all aggressive and make frequent eye-to-eye contact. What brett lee said proves that many were afraid to face him.

Shoaib is hardly the smartest man in the world with an IQ of a tortoise. He just wants to be the centre of attraction no matter what. I do agree that the game is missing fast bowlers with an attitude making the lives of batsmen a nightmare. There is no genuine outright fast bowler I can think off.

Shoaib wants to make every bowler as a creepy villain which in my opinion is just a waste of energy. You get the batsman out with your bowling talent not with your level of badtamizi.

Back