Should ODIs be scrapped for good?

icc should invest in nepal, uganda, png, nigeria for spreading cricket besides ireland & afghanistan

Before stating anything, I want to tell you that I am a big fan of odis. But the way things stand right now, It has been increasingly difficult for me to like or rate this format anymore.

ODI , the format we know, has changed. It has been changing for a while, but last couple of years or so what we are witnessing an exponential change in this format. Such has been the impact of this change, that it is difficult and at times futile to draw comparison between players of today’s era to those, playing the game two decades back.

Today, batting records are being made and broken in the blink of an eye, and hence don’t hold any importance as they used to be in the eyes of a fan.

In contrast to ODIs, we have Tests and T20s, where it is somewhat viable to compare players of different generation. Atleast the comparison won’t be such a gross injustice as it in the case of ODIs.

Though T20 is relatively a new format, still we don’t see any exponential change in batting or bowling, as in the case of ODIs over the years. An innings total of 180 or 200 which was considered par in 2005-6,is still considered as a handy total even today. Same can’t be said about ODIs. I don’t like T20 myself but one would be naïve not to admit that it has a growing market and already surpassed ODI in terms of popularity.

Infact in Australia, (though I don’t have the numbers to back myself) but it seems BBL is more popular than any meaningless ODI series, played there. Which is logical since T20 appear to be better than the ‘elongated T20’. Sooner or later, we might see the same trend in India. Infact in India, ODIs are already getting organised in small towns, since big cities are not drawing enough crowds.

on the other hand test cricket will always remain , the way it has been, because of its loyal fan base (count me too!), who consider it as paradigm of ‘quality’
So should ODIs, which is vastly losing its quality, credibility and popularity, (keeping aside the nostalgia it bring with it) be scrapped? And if so Is T20 a viable alternative for ODIs?

Please discuss..

So should ODIs, which is vastly losing its quality, credibility and popularity, (keeping aside the nostalgia it bring with it) be scrapped? And if so Is T20 a viable alternative for ODIs?

No and no.

Play less odis? Yes. Make the rules better (smaller bats, more fielders outside the circle etc)? Yes.

Make the rules consistent for God's sake atkeast

I undertnd changes eery 10-15 years but w see a new ridiculous rule every year in ODI's

That will never happen. The World Cup is ODIs, and that's the World Cup that everyone cares about. But it needs to be seriously reformed.

All this talk about formats dying, but there are hugely popular tournaments in each. It might just be that players become more specialized for each format, but all 3 will persist.

ODIs will stay viable for one reason, they provide the opportunity for 100 commercial breaks. This means they are a broadcaster's dream, so long as ratings stay more or less stable. Definitely, though, the ICC needs to cut down on the number of ODIs played annually.

Forget comparing two decades, you can't even go back one decade. Adam Gilchrist had a career strike rate of 96, and what a thrill it seemed to us all to watch him batting. These days if your strike rate is 96, you're behind like a dozen other dudes. Every team (well, maybe not Pakistan) has got one player who has a stupid strike rate in excess of 110, 120. Bear in mind, Gilchrist, as recently as eight years ago, smacked a brutal hundred in a World Cup final. And today, going by numbers, he's barely a mediocre batsman. That's what has gone wrong, that people can conceivably look back at somebody like a Gilchrist and think of him as an average player, when he clearly had far, far more ability than the likes of Martin Guptill.

Last edited:
Make the rules consistent for God's sake atkeast

I undertnd changes eery 10-15 years but w see a new ridiculous rule every year in ODI's

Rules might be a cause, but you can't downplay the impact of T20 in ODIs. For me that is the cause of this change. And moreover curators are encouraged to produce more ultra-flat tracks according to a notion that big scores will draw more crowds which result in more revenues.

If that is what they needed, what is wrong with T20 then? Surely it can replace ODIs. After all cricket administrators wanted crowds to see more runfest, and they can do it through T20 too.

In a twenty over game one can take a perverse, sadomasochistic enjoyment in a runfest. You know the format has been designed for that reason from ball one. So you can find some enjoyment in it. It's only four overs per bowler after all, no bowler going to get carted for a hundred run spell.

I love ODI's, and if you'd said this a year ago I would've slapped you.

But under current conditions if the ICC arent willing to change the rules and make things fair then definitely, scrap them. I'd rather watch a 3 hour run fest than a 7 hour run fest.

Just went onto statsguru to check some things.

In 2015, we've seen 27 innings with totals above 320

Not only that but look at the margins of defeat now that chasing teams have such a tall ask

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/team/largest_margins.html?class=2;id=2015;type=year

Least in t20 if one guy plays a blinder 200 plus can be chased

Change rules.

Keep ODIs.

T20I is actually boring.

ODI WC is still the most prestigious event.

That is true but its losing its credibility. And i dont think if we revert back to those old we will not see any 400 total. With teams having more tailenders who can bat, most importantly can slog , it give license to the top order to slog. That was the reason behind the success aussies 2015 WC.

Infact England is doing the same thing. T20s too has played its part, with batsman no longer shying to take risks.

And importantly now, we dont see quality pitches. Indian pitches are not sluggish as it is use to be back in the 90s. Infact they are flat feather-beds. The same can be said about australian pitches in the WC. Flat pitches are being laid to attract more crowds, inorder to increase revenues. That is the reason why we see such inflated stats of batsman.

Keep the world t20 and stop international t20s. The domestic leagues are more than enough practice as they last for weeks allowing players to build momentum and learn that format.

Odis should be kept but context must be added to bilateral series. This possible odi league seems like a good idea. One other change I would like to see is having a pitch that has something in it for batsmen and howlers. I think if you have this odi is the best format. Currently it's just a batsmen game and teams are stacking there line up with batsmen.

I think having having multiple formats brings variety and diversity to the game. Having just one or two formats would get boring.

The ODI WC is still the premier cricketing event and winning it is the pinnacle of the sport. Fully expect Tests to continue to lose viewership in the coming decades and we may even have a case where only ODIs and T20s are played.

The ODI WC is still the premier cricketing event and winning it is the pinnacle of the sport. Fully expect Tests to continue to lose viewership in the coming decades and we may even have a case where only ODIs and T20s are played.
ODI is just a longer T20. World T20 can be the new WC.

ODI is just a longer T20. World T20 can be the new WC.

At present yes, but I'm hoping we revert back to the older style of ODI cricket where there was more balance between bat and ball. Then ODIs will no longer be extended T20s.

Bump. What do PPer's think now?

Had we done away with ODI's you would have missed a once in a lifetime thriller like the one where Stoinis almost single handedly chased down 286 or the Kohli+Jadav authored classic where they chased down 350 after being 63/4 in 12 overs at one point.

That should answer your question ... I think :)

No, International T20 should be scrapped instead. We have tons of domestic T20 leagues which have good crowds and revenue, international T20 is redundant and waste of time

It's becoming more apparent that ODIs are losing ground to T20s. Why sit through mundane overs from 10-40 where spinners go for 5rpo when you can have the same if not more excitement of an ODI in less than half the time, 8 hours vs 3 hours. With PSL emerging and both South Africa and England creating their own leagues, i fully expect people will change their opinion on ODIs, who even has eight hours to watch the whole game. I would not be surprised if by the 2023 WC, leagues request a longer part of the year dedicated to playing T20.

If we ever have to get rid of one format, t20 will be my vote for. Love ODIs

t-20 cricket is future
all other formats will die after 10-15 years

It'll stay because ODIs still generate decent crowds and there's money to be made from the format.

However there's too many meaningless bilateral ODI series such as the recent Aus-NZ series (which was a good series but had no significance other than the rankings which no cricket fan beyond the diehards care about). There are some solutions:

1) Introduce the 13-team ODI league. Everyone plays each other home and away over a three year cycle. The winning team gets substantial prize money, and the league positions should form the basis for World Cup qualification with the bottom 5 having to play qualifiers. Scrap the Champions Trophy.

2) Either give the Kookaburra an extra coat of lacquer so it swings more or switch to the Dukes. This current ball offers nothing for seamers and after the first few overs batsmen can simply swing through the line of the ball.

3) Go back to one new ball.

4) Revise the fielding restrictions to give bowling teams more protection. First ten overs, allow three fielders outside the circle. For the next 40, allow five fielders outside the circle.

5) Pitches shouldn't be complete roads. Whilst they should be batting-friendly on the whole as let's be honest, big hitting is the main attraction for limited overs fans, the pitches should have a little more grass or offer more turn than they do right now.

6) Organise more tri-series. Watching the same two teams play each other in 5 match ODI series can get tedious.

Last edited:
I agree with some of the posters that international T20's (other than the World T20) should be scrapped and only played in the T20 leagues.

Promote ODI's and Tests and play the WorldT20 EVERY year - except when it falls on an ODI WC year.

Play the CT every 2 years - except when it falls in a WC year.

So something like this.

2017: CT
2018 World T20
2019 ODI WC
2020: World T20
2021: CT

etc.

I love ODI's, and if you'd said this a year ago I would've slapped you.

But under current conditions if the ICC arent willing to change the rules and make things fair then definitely, scrap them. I'd rather watch a 3 hour run fest than a 7 hour run fest.

Just went onto statsguru to check some things.

In 2015, we've seen 27 innings with totals above 320

Not only that but look at the margins of defeat now that chasing teams have such a tall ask

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/team/largest_margins.html?class=2;id=2015;type=year

Least in t20 if one guy plays a blinder 200 plus can be chased

I would rather watch a 7 hour run fest when there is more strategy and planning involved rather than a 3 hour slog where everyone hopes for the best.

If anything - international T20's should be scrapped and limited only to the World T20 and T20 leagues.

If anything, T20Is should be scrapped outside of the WCs and Olympics (assuming cricket can get there) and qualifications and friendlies leading up to those. No point of having jamodi T20I series.

What we need with ODI cricket is refreshing of the rules to make 280 a par score again. Those are the games that produce the most excitement and a good balance between bat and ball, without allowing hacks to prosper.

I would rather watch a 7 hour run fest when there is more strategy and planning involved rather than a 3 hour slog where everyone hopes for the best.

If anything - international T20's should be scrapped and limited only to the World T20 and T20 leagues.

For what its worth ODI's are my favourite format, but they badly need to balance the bat and ball.This current trend of teams piling on 300 plus every game is insanely dull to watch

Scrap Test matches. No one watches this holy format. ODIs are my favorite just in before T20 and they to can become very boring especially when they play in India watching the genocide of fast bowlers. T20 is unpredictable but like my pale friend with freckles said, we need a balance between the ball and the bat.

For what its worth ODI's are my favourite format, but they badly need to balance the bat and ball.This current trend of teams piling on 300 plus every game is insanely dull to watch

If anything - 300 plus games make it exciting for most casual viewers. Nowadays - even teams chasing such totals know they have a chance. The balance between bat and ball argument is good for purists but not most casual viewers.

If someone enjoys watching high scoring T20s as you proposed - they will most likely enjoy a high scoring ODI as well between two good teams along with the planning and strategies behind it that are nonexistant in T20s.

Lets face it - T20s are only good for the top order batsman who get to bat - no. 6 or lower only get to face a few overs at most (if at all). ODI's offer a more comprehensive view of the entire team's strength and weaknesses.

If anything - 300 plus games make it exciting for most casual viewers. Nowadays - even teams chasing such totals know they have a chance. The balance between bat and ball argument is good for purists but not most casual viewers.

If someone enjoys watching high scoring T20s as you proposed - they will most likely enjoy a high scoring ODI as well between two good teams along with the planning and strategies behind it that are nonexistant in T20s.

Lets face it - T20s are only good for the top order batsman who get to bat - no. 6 or lower only get to face a few overs at most (if at all). ODI's offer a more comprehensive view of the entire team's strength and weaknesses.

No, I'm not a purist when I say I want to watch bowlers actually have a chance. Cricket is a game designed for bat and ball, asking for 2011WC era pitches or conditions where 250 plus is a decent score isn't purism its actually wanting to see both aspects of cricket (bowling and batting) on display, not glorified net sessions where 330 is below par.

Casual viewers also enjoy good bowling performances. Who wouldn't get hyped watching Boult and Southee opening or Starc's yorkers at the death?

Casual viewers also enjoy good bowling performances. Who wouldn't get hyped watching Boult and Southee opening or Starc's yorkers at the death?

Batting is more enjoyable and entertaining to watch for casual viewers - not saying it is right but it is how it is.

No. What does need to happen is ensuring that India, Australia, Pakistan and New Zealand prepare pitches and grounds that offer help to both bowlers and batsmen. Along with this, the bowling side should be allowed to choose whether they want two new balls or just go with the one. This will allow teams to focus on their strengths.

The new ODI league and killing off the Champions Trophy and Asia Cup to bring more prestige to the World Cup will also help massively.

What does need to go are IT20s. They are pointless and overshadowed by the domestic leagues. Instead of international T20s, the ICC should have an official tournament where the best teams from each country compete among themselves, akin to soccer's Champions League. The top three or four teams from the IPL, Big Bash, NatWest, PSL, CPL, etc in a full tournament style competition would bea lot of fun to watch and play. The special IPL window needs to be thrown out to accommodate this however.

no way, need to stop making completely flat tracks, odis should be like mini test cricket. The chappel hadlee series that just finished was brilliant

I don't think so. The recent NZ Aus series was awesome. I think if they wanna reduce the workload just limit T20s to World T20 and maybe olympics but I highly doubt they'll be scrapping anything soon

No. What does need to happen is ensuring that India, Australia, Pakistan and New Zealand prepare pitches and grounds that offer help to both bowlers and batsmen. Along with this, the bowling side should be allowed to choose whether they want two new balls or just go with the one. This will allow teams to focus on their strengths.

The new ODI league and killing off the Champions Trophy and Asia Cup to bring more prestige to the World Cup will also help massively.

What does need to go are IT20s. They are pointless and overshadowed by the domestic leagues. Instead of international T20s, the ICC should have an official tournament where the best teams from each country compete among themselves, akin to soccer's Champions League. The top three or four teams from the IPL, Big Bash, NatWest, PSL, CPL, etc in a full tournament style competition would bea lot of fun to watch and play. The special IPL window needs to be thrown out to accommodate this however.

yeah, I really liked the Champions League T20 but no one else did. They should try and make it a proper big deal like home and away fixtures as opposed to just cramming the matches in one country and have 2-4 teams from each of the major countries.

Back