Should ODIs be scrapped for good?

Nikhil_cric

Senior Test Player
Runs
Since the advent of T20 cricket, the general quality of cricket has declined due to the existence of 3 formats. Cricketers, fast bowlers in particular, find it extremely difficult to play all 3 formats and be successful. The popularity of the sport is waning even in countries such as India due to the excess amount of cricket being played. Since T20 is here to stay and Test cricket too steeped in tradition to be discarded, wouldn't the logical choice be to do away with ODI cricket? This would be beneficial for both cricketers as well as viewers. Casual fans would be drawn to T20 leagues and Test cricket would be followed by those who are hardcore fans of the sport. Having 2 limited overs makes less sense anyway since the rules are more or less the same(Test cricket has 2 innings per team etc.) Your thoughts?

No way, ODIs are really entertaining particularly when played on a good pitch. If a format is to be scrapped than scrap the T20Is, as India aren't amazing in that either.

Don't deprive cricket of its best and most exciting format.

Thankfully you are not in charge and ODIs are here to stay.

No way, ODIs are really entertaining particularly when played on a good pitch. If a format is to be scrapped than scrap the T20Is, as India aren't amazing in that either.

Personally i would want T20's scrapped too because i grew up watching classic ODI's from the 90's, early 2000's etc. but financially T20 and its various leagues make lots more money so I don't think that would actually happen

Don't deprive cricket of its best and most exciting format.

Thankfully you are not in charge and ODIs are here to stay.

According to me Tests > ODI's >T20's. My point was 3 formats would be detrimental to the sport in general and since T20 leagues make a lot more money, Odi's might have to be scrapped anyway

ODI still requires a set of skills both for batsmen and bowlers, but T20 is plain junk, even if in the longer run it will be the masses main format.
I don't think that ODIs should be scrapped, but eventually will (considering that Test format, if not crowds, still attracts legitimacy and prestige.)

Could you guys elaborate why 3 formats are relevant/beneficial etc?

After T20 made their mark, i believe ODIs got a fresh lease of life.
Game is played faster than before and with better planning. The T20s gave a push to the tempo and now the real deal is to see how well the teams can plan their slogging + how nicely they keep the scoreboard ticking during the dull overs.

In all that, the team with better planning and better strategy to execute their skills takes the match. More like test of temperament, thinking and adaptation. T20 is blind slogging mostly. (they do have their share of strategies, but the juice is not there)

ODIs now give a feel of pseudo Test match played in a single day at times.

ODIs are still great. Only reason it gets stiff because of too many pointless series and instead need to cut down on bilateral series and have triangular or quadrangular series like the recent India, Sri Lanka and West Indies one.

Don't forget this is India's favourite format so I pretty much doubt ODIs will ever be finished. Its Test Cricket people should be worried about with lack of interest, poor tv ratings and dismal crowds.

ODIs has generally packed grounds and the 50 over world cup is a massive revenue generator so I doubt ODIs will be discontinued.

The only thing I will do with ODIs is to make it an even contest between bat and ball.

ODI still requires a set of skills both for batsmen and bowlers, but T20 is plain junk, even if in the longer run it will be the masses main format.
I don't think that ODIs should be scrapped, but eventually will (considering that Test format, if not crowds, still attracts legitimacy and prestige.)

I agree ODI's require better skills than a T20 does. The reason i said that it should be scrapped was because 3 formats would, in the long run, result in decreasing audiences.

ODIs are much better than pointless T20Is! In fact, I believe T20s should be limited to only club level leagues. Tests and ODIs should be the only mainstream formats. T20s are plain junk!

ODIs are still great. Only reason it gets stiff because of too many pointless series and instead need to cut down on bilateral series and have triangular or quadrangular series like the recent India, Sri Lanka and West Indies one.

Don't forget this is India's favourite format so I pretty much doubt ODIs will ever be finished. Its Test Cricket people should be worried about with lack of interest, poor tv ratings and dismal crowds.

ODIs has generally packed grounds and the 50 over world cup is a massive revenue generator so I doubt ODIs will be discontinued.

The only thing I will do with ODIs is to make it an even contest between bat and ball.

Popularity of test cricket has been fairly stable in India atleast. It didn't have that many takers to begin with whereas ODI's generate less and less interest these days. IPL is much bigger in India among casual fans of the sport than all these bilateral series that India plays

I agree ODI's require better skills than a T20 does. The reason i said that it should be scrapped was because 3 formats would, in the long run, result in decreasing audiences.

If anything, they should cut down on T20s. Useless slogging all the way down.
But it has promoted the game i guess, so it should be used as a highlight event only.

ODIs are too popular.

The least popular format these days worldwide is tests. It's also the least profitable. Not that tests should be scrapped.

I wouldn't worry about ODIs, too many people like them. Tests are the worry. And with the newer generation coming through tests are garnering less and less interest. Something needs to be done to change that format and attract the crowds again.

ODIs are too popular.

The least popular format these days worldwide is tests. It's also the least profitable. Not that tests should be scrapped.

I wouldn't worry about ODIs, too many people like them. Tests are the worry. And with the newer generation coming through tests are garnering less and less interest. Something needs to be done to change that format and attract the crowds again.

Tests have always been the least popular format of the game when compared to ODI's and T20's which is unfortunate though understandable. The average Joe simply cannot sit and watch 5 days of a match. He would much rather watch a T20 slogathon after a hard day's work. Which is precisely why T20's will grow in popularity. It is short and intense. I was under the impression that 3 formats in cricket is not a good idea long term. Clearly, not many others think the same way lol

Yes scrap ODIs. We should have T20 leagues and friendly T20 matches to prepare for the T20 Championships which I believe should be held every year. All top 8 teams should play at least 7-8 matches a year. Bang and Zimbabwe should play at least 5 test matches. ODIs serve no purpose now after the introduction of T20s. T20s can bring in money and is the best format to promote the game.

Personally i would want T20's scrapped too because i grew up watching classic ODI's from the 90's, early 2000's etc. but financially T20 and its various leagues make lots more money so I don't think that would actually happen

You asked a hypothetical question, I gave a hypothetical answer, so any financial influence is disregarded.

I believe tests have become more popular in past 7-8 years. Teams are more balanced now, there is no single dominant cricket team now.

one of the two formats (ODIs and T20s) have to be scrapped to save cricket.

Last edited:
I believe tests have become more popular in past 7-8 years. Teams are more balanced now, there is no single dominant cricket team now.

This despite the fact that there haven't been many quality fast bowlers in this period apart from Steyn. Iirc there was a study done in Australia which showed that fast bowlers playing all 3 formats were more likely to break down.

Tests have always been the least popular format of the game when compared to ODI's and T20's which is unfortunate though understandable. The average Joe simply cannot sit and watch 5 days of a match. He would much rather watch a T20 slogathon after a hard day's work. Which is precisely why T20's will grow in popularity. It is short and intense. I was under the impression that 3 formats in cricket is not a good idea long term. Clearly, not many others think the same way lol
I'm in the opinion that we should cater for the majority. The point of sport is not only to provide entertainment but also get kids into sport. I agree over 5 days, the average guy can not watch that. Doesn't fit the modern world.

I hope that tests can be reinvented to suit the times. Shorten the days, try to play them Friday-Sunday. Invest in day-night. Make the pitches less batting friendly. We might even need to introduce a maximum amount of overs.

In my opinion tests will die out because nothing's being done to adapt them. In ODIs we can see, we're willing to modify them and change them to suit the public. So it'll survive. We can not accept it's fine the way it is, it's clearly not and it's losing interest. Less profitable. Does not fit around your average joe. And the newer generation are going to be even less interested in it. I fail to see why we are so unadaptable. After all tests used to be played over 3 days anyway, we just extended it to five.

I'd like in the future a tour of 1-3 T20s, 3 ODIs and 3 tests. Played in that order. The three tests are based over 3 days and around the weekend so people can watch. Tests will be very different to ODIs, it'll be very difficult to last 100 overs, and bowlers will ideally have an advantage over batsmen in this format (unlike LOI).

Last edited:
I personally would prefer it if Tests are scrapped.

I wish those people who say limited overs fans are "casual" and Test fans are "real fans", actually back that up with some sort of meaningful reasoning.

All around the world people are increasingly showing that they prefer to watch Limited overs cricket and even players while they have to pay lip-service to the whole "Test Cricket is Ultimate" logic, show that this really isn't true- retiring and playing T-20 leagues. Retiring from Tests to play T-20's and of course younger players are building their games around T-20.

Moreover even apart from this the only reason why you say Test Cricket skills are meaningful are because it came first.

People love to call T-20 batting "slogfests" equally people can and did call Test Cricket "Tuk-Tuk". ODI's were introduced because fans were bored out of their skulls by cricket as it was then. The only reason defensive risk-free batting is considered "good technique" is because Test Cricket came first. Imagine a world where the game started out with T-20: baseball style hitting would be considered good technique, and leaving balls and blocking would be considered horrible. If someone had then invented Test Cricket, people would now crying about how boring Tuk-Tuk and negative blocking is the most effective strategy in this new game.

As a matter of fact, Test Cricket has no meaningful strategic decisions to make in comparison to limited overs. In limited overs the lack of resource constraint (overs) means you have to make tough choices between preserving wickets, scoring runs, guessing what target may be enough, pacing your innings, and what order to send your players out in. Tests make it easy because out-of-form players who are way past their prime can block and nurdle and scratch their way to runs. You just bat as well as you can and bowl as well as you can, there is just very minimal strategic complexity to it.

I wish the whole super-vocal minority (of cricket fans as a whole), would actually give reasons when they call ODI's meaningless instead of just assuming is this air of automatic superiority compared to anyone who prefers ODI's/T-20.

I'm in the opinion that we should cater for the majority. The point of sport is not only to provide entertainment but also get kids into sport. I agree over 5 days, the average guy can not watch that. Doesn't fit the modern world.

I hope that tests can be reinvented to suit the times. Shorten the days, try to play them Friday-Sunday. Invest in day-night. Make the pitches less batting friendly. We might even need to introduce a maximum amount of overs.

In my opinion tests will die out because nothing's being done to adapt them. In ODIs we can see, we're willing to modify them and change them to suit the public. So it'll survive.

I'd like in the future a tour of 1-3 T20s, 3 ODIs and 3 tests. Played in that order. The three tests are based over 3 days and around the weekend so people can watch. Tests will be very different to ODIs, it'll be very difficult to last 100 overs, and bowlers will ideally have an advantage over batsmen in this format (unlike LOI).

I agree with your suggestions on bringing Test cricket to the masses. As far as I'm aware though cricket is the only sport which has 3 radically different formats. It probably won't be long before we see completely different squads for all 3 formats. It would be harsh on teams like NZ and WI who dont have that big a talent pool to rely on anyway

NOO! ODI's are perfectly balanced. It is a blend of attacking and conserving, and that is what makes it interesting. I prefer watching ODI's in comparison to T20's because you know that there is going to be a proper match, not just a slog fest! And scrapping ODI's means scrapping the World Cup too.

I personally would prefer it if Tests are scrapped.

I wish those people who say limited overs fans are "casual" and Test fans are "real fans", actually back that up with some sort of meaningful reasoning.

All around the world people are increasingly showing that they prefer to watch Limited overs cricket and even players while they have to pay lip-service to the whole "Test Cricket is Ultimate" logic, show that this really isn't true- retiring and playing T-20 leagues. Retiring from Tests to play T-20's and of course younger players are building their games around T-20.

Moreover even apart from this the only reason why you say Test Cricket skills are meaningful are because it came first.

People love to call T-20 batting "slogfests" equally people can and did call Test Cricket "Tuk-Tuk". ODI's were introduced because fans were bored out of their skulls by cricket as it was then. The only reason defensive risk-free batting is considered "good technique" is because Test Cricket came first. Imagine a world where the game started out with T-20: baseball style hitting would be considered good technique, and leaving balls and blocking would be considered horrible. If someone had then invented Test Cricket, people would now crying about how boring Tuk-Tuk and negative blocking is the most effective strategy in this new game.

As a matter of fact, Test Cricket has no meaningful strategic decisions to make in comparison to limited overs. In limited overs the lack of resource constraint (overs) means you have to make tough choices between preserving wickets, scoring runs, guessing what target may be enough, pacing your innings, and what order to send your players out in. Tests make it easy because out-of-form players who are way past their prime can block and nurdle and scratch their way to runs. You just bat as well as you can and bowl as well as you can, there is just very minimal strategic complexity to it.

I wish the whole super-vocal minority (of cricket fans as a whole), would actually give reasons when they call ODI's meaningless instead of just assuming is this air of automatic superiority compared to anyone who prefers ODI's/T-20.

The pitch and conditions vary greatly over the course of 5 days. You need to adopt different strategies for both batting and bowling from session to session. The same pitch which supports seamers on day 1 and day 2 would turn into a batting track on day 3 and day 4 and by day 5 would support the spinners. Strategies would have to vary greatly depending on the situation and session. Moreover, T 20 and to a lesser extent ODI pitches are almost the same throughout the world whereas you can see Aussie batsmen trying to cope with rank turners in India and Indian batsmen negotiating bounce and seam in South Africa. In short, cricket would not be the same without Tests. There is no question of scrapping it.

None of these formats are going to be scrapped of course. I just said if one had to be scrapped, I hope it would be Tests.

On T-20 pitches, that's not really true, there are plenty of very low scoring T-20s on turning pitches or seaming conditions. The SA-Srilanka series was a great example, and low scoring T-20's do make for excellent cricket.

Also, I agree pitch conditions change throughout Test Cricket, but they do in LOI's too. Tracks flatten out, dew comes into play, rain affects the game, over-cast conditions come into effect. It's still the beautiful game of cricket.

I am not saying I want any format scrapped, I like watching cricket, including Tests. I am saying Tests are comparatively less strategic, and have a huge propensity to peter out into meaninglessness.

Yeah they do for development of young cricketers and money wise for players. But playing a series of 1 or 2 T20's in a tour doesn't make any sense.

T20 leagues are terrible for the development of a young cricketer. What has IPL done for India? Most of the quality cricketers have ome through because of good FC/List A stats

T20 leagues are terrible for the development of a young cricketer. What has IPL done for India? Most of the quality cricketers have ome through because of good FC/List A stats

No its not. And this has been discussed so many times here.

Pujara is the only batsman who seems to be world class in Tests and i don't think he's done much in IPL

Bhai jaan this thread is about ODI's and limited overs cricket. We are not talking about test cricket here neither i have said that IPL helps young test cricketers.

According to me, Test playing nations must not play any International T20.

Make this format only for the emerging cricket nations like Afghanistan, Kenya, Ireland,Scotland,USA etc. Let them play these regularly. This will help them to gain experience and will spread the game as well.

Once an associate nation perform consistently in t'20s, push them into ODI's against the big boys.

ODI cricket should and must remain
as it requires skills, technique, temperament to test a player which lacks in t'20s.

Scrap t'20 world cup (or allow only associates to play in it) and bring back Champions Trophy.

If a board needs quick cash out of t'20s, create a league like IPL, BBL, BPL etc. If a player needs money let them play in these leagues. But no international t'20 please.

Tests and ODI's should only be the format for big boys.

And yes, I forgot to mention the reason why ODI's are little boring these days is due to change in rules. Bring back the old rule with 1st 15 over as power play and then the field can spread. Not this current crap of only 3-4 fielders allowed outside 30 yards throughout the match :facepalm:

According to me, Test playing nations must not play any International T20.

Make this format only for the emerging cricket nations like Afghanistan, Kenya, Ireland,Scotland,USA etc. Let them play these regularly. This will help them to gain experience and will spread the game as well.

Once an associate nation perform consistently in t'20s, push them into ODI's against the big boys.

ODI cricket should and must remain
as it requires skills, technique, temperament to test a player which lacks in t'20s.

Scrap t'20 world cup (or allow only associates to play in it) and bring back Champions Trophy.

If a board needs quick cash out of t'20s, create a league like IPL, BBL, BPL etc. If a player needs money let them play in these leagues. But no international t'20 please.

Tests and ODI's should only be the format for big boys.

And yes, I forgot to mention the reason why ODI's are little boring these days is due to change in rules. Bring back the old rule with 1st 15 over as power play and then the field can spread. Not this current crap of only 3-4 fielders allowed outside 30 yards throughout the match :facepalm:

The old rules were indeed better. Also this 2 ball - rule has left us without reverse swing,

All formats have their virtues. Test matches provide the sternest test for a player. ODIs have their own challenges, it's more dynamic and brings a different breed of players into focus.

Even T20 cricket makes some poor sides feel good about themselves :). So, I am not in favor of scrapping any format.

lolwut? ODIs are great fun, the recent Pakistan-South Africa thrill ride is proof of that. What should be scrapped are flat Indian pitches.

Let T20s be the format where most bowlers only show up to get spanked. ODIs need to have a balance between bat and ball.

We are just getting better on this format and if this gets scrapped we are back to Zero lol

both 50 and 20 overs cricket should be scrapped.they should create a new format called 30-30 cricket.

I don't know why people have problems with ODIs, its a great format with very rich history and the ODI World Cup is the greatest spectacle and prize in cricket - much bigger than any Test series between any teams.

why do u want to scrap the best and balanced format of cricket? Test cricket is the only format that needs to be scrapped. its boring and not entertaining at all. of course where ppl r lazy this might be good to watch 5 days of cricket instead of working and being productive.

this is one of the reason why test cricket willl never fly in the US.

But I do agree that 3 format is bad and one of them needs to be scrapped.

why do u want to scrap the best and balanced format of cricket? Test cricket is the only format that needs to be scrapped. its boring and not entertaining at all. of course where ppl r lazy this might be good to watch 5 days of cricket instead of working and being productive.

this is one of the reason why test cricket willl never fly in the US.

But I do agree that 3 format is bad and one of them needs to be scrapped.

ODIs would never get into US market as well. only T20s would..

I don't know why people have problems with ODIs, its a great format with very rich history and the ODI World Cup is the greatest spectacle and prize in cricket - much bigger than any Test series between any teams.

what history? ODI's format came into place only 38 years ago. Law of this format are changed every six months. ICC has made a mockery of this format.

Reducing ODI's to 40 overs wouldn't be a bad idea.

T20 is a tulla and fluke cricket.

Pakistan is ranked number 2, says a lot!

Scrap t20 internationals and the icc world t20 but leave t20 leagues as they are.

No flippin way! ODI cricket is amazing. In this order: 1) Test cricket 2) ODI cricket 3) T20 cricket. If any format deserves to be scrapped it's T20.

I think all three formats have their place in cricket, and should be left a lone!

One thing that NEEDS to change is the two new ball rule in ODI cricket..takes out spin and reverse swing from the picture..which is an essential aspect of balling

3 is too many and if one has to go it will be ODI's.

no way. if any format has to die, it should be 20/20

odis are good. the recent ind-aus series was 1 of the best odi series of all time

no way. if any format has to die, it should be 20/20

odis are good. the recent ind-aus series was 1 of the best odi series of all time
Why? ODI's are practically extended T20s with half the crowds :facepalm:

ODIs should go, T20s should stay. But they earn so much more money with ODI's… 8 hours of non-stop advertising, more money for the Boards. Lets hope 2023 is the last one :)

I'm not sure of scrapping them altogether. But too many ODI's are played these days. And its too repetitive, with sides playing a million times against each other (SA vs Pak, India vs Lanka, Aus vs Eng). So there is definately a need for limits.

Maybe we should get rid of bilateral series in order to make room for more test cricket. After the test series an extra (and available) team could be invited for a tri series

ODI cricket is quite entertaining, and a much better format than T-20s.

If a format should be scrapped, it's the T-20s.

I agree with soso though; they've got to mix things up with the ODIs.

I really don't like the ridiculous changes to the rules though. The old rules were better.

I'll be surprised to hear an Indian want the format gone seeing how they're so successful in it.

Personally, I've just grown tired of the format.

Last edited:
It's here to stay until the 2019 World Cup at the least, unfortunately.

ODIs are too popular.

I agree OdIs cant be scrapped but limits should be put on them. Like you can play 10-15 odi in a year not more than that. or make it a ratio if you play 10 test matches than you can play 12 odi.

There are many great performances, achievements and memories associated with ODI cricket.

It has a good enough history.

Rule changing needs to stop though.

The US market hasn't dived into cricket after a good 145 years, so I guess the concept is beyond them and we should leave them be. They've never been big on 'global' sports in any case.

The US market hasn't dived into cricket after a good 145 years, so I guess the concept is beyond them and we should leave them be. They've never been big on 'global' sports in any case.

Cricket is not a global sport the same way football is

Cricket is not a global sport the same way football is

Doesn't matter, the US aren't too big on football either. American football perhaps, but that's played by a grand total of 1 nation.

Cricket needs to go the way of Rugby or maybe even Hockey- a few powerhouses but played by quite a decent number of nations

Instead of States- ICCshould be looking to tap into the Argentina/Germany/France/Italy/Far East etc

Back