South Africa (194/4) defeat USA (176/6) by 18 runs to clinch their first win of the Super 8 round

Everyone, including myself, thought USA would be beaten black and blue by in Super 8.

SA would have beaten PAK probably by a bigger margin. So looks like US entering Super 8 will make this stage more competitive after all.
Justified to see these big hitters in the super 8 instead of seeing Babar Azam, Actor Rizwan , Fake all rounders scratchign around. Ya Pakistan has a decent pace unit. But on these pitches spin play a much bigger role which Pakistan has none in their ranks.

USA must get a regular programme of cricket after this tournament against the full members. They'll test a few teams at home at least.

Most impressive thing about USA is they are not overawed. Nobody was timid. Fielding was more than decent. Couple of brainless bowlers, and better fielding strategy would have produced a shock win over SA.

Everyone, including myself, thought USA would be beaten black and blue by in Super 8.

SA would have beaten PAK probably by a bigger margin. So looks like US entering Super 8 will make this stage more competitive after all.
Speak for yourself. I posted that I did not expect USA to win but put up a good fight.(y):ROFLMAO:

maybe seeing their performance and qualification for next world cup also may convince some other expat folks to move to US. but i think it takes 3 years to qualify. perhaps just like how players from SAF/ZIm used to move to England, if some more folks like Gous, etc., move to US play MLC, other leagues and then represented US for international tournaments, we have a bright future.

With that performance, more people will take notice and over time, you get try to embed cricket at local park district, high-school, college level for major cities where MLC teams are present.

USA tour to PCT , BD and Lanka would be awesome.
A 5 game T20 series in Pak against Pak team would be awesome - Will be a crackerjacker! Atleast USA will send it's best team and not some C team or D team for Pak batters to feast on ! They can hype up the series too- an enemy country USA on our shores , we need to defeat them somehow ! Will gather more eyeballs I guess :)

maybe seeing their performance and qualification for next world cup also may convince some other expat folks to move to US. but i think it takes 3 years to qualify. perhaps just like how players from SAF/ZIm used to move to England, if some more folks like Gous, etc., move to US play MLC, other leagues and then represented US for international tournaments, we have a bright future.

With that performance, more people will take notice and over time, you get try to embed cricket at local park district, high-school, college level for major cities where MLC teams are present.
USA will become better than other teams in no time if that were to happen.

Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic 😂 they showed Saffers what they are capable of
No one in the USA cared about cricket before the World Cup and no one will care after the World Cup, it’s been a total waste of time playing matches in the country

No one in the USA cared about cricket before the World Cup and no one will care after the World Cup, it’s been a total waste of time playing matches in the country
Ok Crystall ball, see you next month during MCL.

Pakistan deserves to be shot for the amount of humiliation their fans are facing here :rizwan

Matlab people advocating US tours Pakistan lol
I wasn’t trolling though, they are better than Zim at T20.. plus PCT can get a chance at revenge

it will still attract crowds as a neutral venue, like the UAE

Other teams in th egroup watch out. There are times West Indies can play some brainless shots and implode. If that happens against USA, they are not going to let the opportunity go.

I wasn’t trolling though, they are better than Zim at T20.. plus PCT can get a chance at revenge
Nope, this side will get smashed by most domestic sides in Pakistan cricket.

Unfortunately the Pakistan national team right now will also get thrashed by some domestic sides in our country :afridi

U.S. proving they belong in the super 8s Pak wouldn’t have crossed 160 batting first or second.

Nope, this side will get smashed by most domestic sides in Pakistan cricket.

Unfortunately the Pakistan national team right now will also get thrashed by some domestic sides in our country :afridi
Which means Pak domestic sides will compete against SA?

If being totally honest , no one outside 5 or 6 countries really care about cricket. It's the 3rd or 4th game for a lot of the countries. Considering that , USA is not too shabby (y)

That Punjabi expats are overrated Harmeet ,Jesse ,Ali
you seem to have negative comments about punjabis alll the time. I gues growing up away from home in Tamil Nadu can make one look down on his own kind. Kudos.

If you want to get US cricket to a world championship level in all formats, the key is university cricket. College sports are gigantic here. My alma mater won the university national championship game twice and has appeared outside of that. They started to get a ton of guys from the subcontinent and got a ton of attention for doing so (this was ten years ago before the T20 All Stars series).
Universities love to get international students and if they're playing cricket here for four years, you will see a great deal of growth and you can give the best players residency after they finish university.
Focus some of the players on education majors, they will introduce cricket to their students in elementary and secondary school, then you'll get more grassroots growth of the game.

England is going to be come in hot and heavy. Time to repeat the American Revolution. By the way, George Washington was a huge cricket fan-the soldiers regularly played it in camp.

you seem to have negative comments about punjabis alll the time. I gues growing up away from home in Tamil Nadu can make one look down on his own kind. Kudos.
I usually post negative comments about Tamizhans and Punjabis its two communities i associate with. Love and hate I suppose.

Which means Pak domestic sides will compete against SA?
Look, I am happy USA is ‘competing’ as in the scoreline looks closer than it really was.

At no point did it look like they would win the game to be honest. Gous played a good hand but 60 off the last four against Rabada and Nortje was a done and dusted matter.

It’s easy to ‘compete’ when you have no chance of winning the game.

De Kock leads South Africa to narrow win over valiant USA as Super Eight stage gets underway

The opening match of the Super Eight stage at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup saw tournament co-hosts USA hope to continue their fairytale run against an in-form South Africa.

Quinton de Kock led South Africa to a mighty total of 194/4 as they batted first against USA in the Super Eights.

In their response, USA reached 176/6 thanks to a superlative innings from Andries Gous, 80 not out from 47 balls.

The USA were the story of the opening round, stunning the cricket world to progress from Group A along with India at the expense of Pakistan, Canada and Ireland.

The co-hosts produced the shock of the tournament when they beat Pakistan in New York, and will be looking to take another major scalp at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua.

South Africa won all four of their fixtures in Group D to progress to the Super Eight stage, but were pushed close in a number of those matches and will be looking for a confidence-building statement against the lowest-ranked team in this stage of the tournament.

Reeza Hendricks stayed only until the end of the third over, edging Saurabh Netravalkar straight into the air and ending up in the hands of Corey Anderson at mid-off.

So it was left to De Kock to push on with the assistance of Aiden Markram, hitting a brilliant 74 off 40 balls - including seven fours and five sixes. He was eventually removed by a smartly-delivered full toss from Harmeet Singh, caught by Shayan Jahangir.

And Harmeet struck again with the next ball, catching new batter David Miller off his own bowling, and making the scoreline 126/3 with a little more than seven overs remaining.

Markram was next to fall after a solid 46 off 32 balls, caught by a flying Ali Khan off Netravalkar.

Then Tristan Stubbs and Heinrich Klaasen formed an effective partnership for the last five overs, putting on a valuable 53 between them.

Gous was the stalwart for the USA as they endeavoured to make in-roads into the target of 195.

He lost his fellow opener Steven Taylor in the fourth over of the innings, caught by Klaasen off Kagiso Rabada for 24.

And Aaron Jones followed for a disappointing duck off five balls, caught by De Kock off the bowling of Keshav Maharaj after an edge behind, leaving USA on 56/3 after seven overs.

Corey Anderson went for a run a ball 12, bowled by Anrich Nortje's delightful full delivery, and Shayan Jahangir was dismissed for 3 off the first ball of Tabraiz Shamsi's spell.

It was Harmeet Singh who joined Gous at the crease in the 12th over, with USA on 76/5. Between them, they gave the rowdy fans at North Sound something to cheer - and with Shamsi's final over going for 22, including three sixes, they must have had hope of a famous win.

However, with Rabada's first delivery of the penultimate over luring Harmeet only into the hands of Stubbs and ending an innings of 38 off 22 balls, the dreams were ended.

ICC

Pakistan deserves to be shot for the amount of humiliation their fans are facing here :rizwan

Matlab people advocating US tours Pakistan lol
You're assuming that will happen.
I would love for USA to have a five match series in Pakistan, but India will be looking to steal this one away from Pakistan too.

Maybe a 3 match series in Pakistan and then a 5 match series in India over 6 weeks. The ratings would likely be through the roof-I think ESPN would probably carry it to fill content slots if they timed it right and you might even get a shot for the USA team to play a few 3 day matches to learn some first-class cricket. We'd get slaughtered, but it would be a helpful exercise.

You can also hold the matches on Saturdays and Sundays to ensure you get a US audience.

Look, I am happy USA is ‘competing’ as in the scoreline looks closer than it really was.

At no point did it look like they would win the game to be honest. Gous played a good hand but 60 off the last four against Rabada and Nortje was a done and dusted matter.

They are also playing without their captain and Mom Patel from
Pak game.. so mistakes will happen

I usually post negative comments about Tamizhans and Punjabis its two communities i associate with. Love and hate I suppose.
Positive of the day:
Abdus Salam and Hargobind khorana, two punjabis to win Nobel Prize

Bet you didnt know that

Obama-Osama Championship 😝 so mean of me
Ding ding ding , we have a winner here !! Great way to get publicity and people talking about it. The USA media will pick it up too likes ants to sugar! Can already see Fox and Hannity having a news segment on this & CNN/MSNBC having their own liberal spin on this .. :ROFLMAO:

Much better than how ENgland played against Australia lol Australia bulldozed ENgland into submission.

Positive of the day:
Abdus Salam and Hargobind khorana, two punjabis to win Nobel Prize

Bet you didnt know that
I did lol..also founder of hotmail, Quantumscape Also Gurtej with the patents

Ding ding ding , we have a winner here !! Great way to get publicity and people talking about it. The USA media will pick it up too likes ants to sugar! Can already see Fox and Hannity having a news segment on this & CNN/MSNBC having their own liberal spin on this .. :ROFLMAO:
Obama isn't well liked these days. I'd prefer not to give him any more publicity for something he's remembered as having accomplished.

How about a Trump-Khan series? The two are practically best friends and Trump might be entering a jail cell soon too.

You're assuming that will happen.
I would love for USA to have a five match series in Pakistan, but India will be looking to steal this one away from Pakistan too.

Maybe a 3 match series in Pakistan and then a 5 match series in India over 6 weeks. The ratings would likely be through the roof-I think ESPN would probably carry it to fill content slots if they timed it right and you might even get a shot for the USA team to play a few 3 day matches to learn some first-class cricket. We'd get slaughtered, but it would be a helpful exercise.

You can also hold the matches on Saturdays and Sundays to ensure you get a US audience.
No thanks, we have had enough B or C or minnow team bashing making these players think they are very good.

It’s time we set-up series against proper opposition so that we get our pants pulled down enough times that these players start to think there definitely is a problem.

Its also awesome to see many Desis seeing Usa as their second or first team!

No thanks, we have had enough B or C or minnow team bashing making these players think they are very good.

It’s time we set-up series against proper opposition so that we get our pants pulled down enough times that these players start to think there definitely is a problem.
You're assuming you would win. You already got blasted at home vs. England, Australia, etc.

The USA coming to Pakistan and spanking you would surely ensure that the entire cricket infrastructure would change. You lost to Ireland at home, do you think we would have lost in Lauderhill had the match been played?

India and Pakistan should play a T20 tri-series with the US in US. Ambani has already proposed to build a stadium in NY for NY Mumbai Indians, so I believe that venue can be used for international cricket as well.

In T20 bilaterals teams don't play full strength. THat has been the case for the last 5 or 6 years. So you can't possibly test anything.

That’s right but at no point they gave up as well and/or collapsed. How many teams would have chased this target down? USA took the game deep and gave themselves an outside chance. That’s very commendable!

I expect tight points in this group. SA might regret not having better NRR out of this. In case SA loses to England, ENgland loses to WI and WI loses to SA. (assuming all 3 beat uSA), NRR wil come into picture.

That’s right but at no point they gave up as well and/or collapsed. How many teams would have chased this target down? USA took the game deep and gave themselves an outside chance. That’s very commendable!
Had harmeet plaecd that full toss on either side things would have been interesting. As long as he was there game was alive. They were butchering all the bowlers.

I expect tight points in this group. SA might regret not having better NRR out of this. In case SA loses to England, ENgland loses to WI and WI loses to SA. (assuming all 3 beat uSA), NRR wil come into picture.
Neither England nor South Africa are that great. West Indies and Australia look like he strongest teams. I'd put India at 3.

Neither England nor South Africa are that great. West Indies and Australia look like he strongest teams. I'd put India at 3.
YEa on paper. But WI is an unpredictable side. One day they will score 200. Next day 80 all out. They are perfectly capable. THeir current approach of "keep hitting" can lead to such collapse. Especially if there is a wrist spinner in the opposition side. INdia is way too predictable which is also not a good thing to have. England and Australia have the resources and experience to overcome minor hiccups compared to others. Also pitch will be a deciding factor. One good thing in favor of WI though is AKeal hosein and Moti. 8 solid bankable overs.

YEa on paper. But WI is an unpredictable side. One day they will score 200. Next day 80 all out. They are perfectly capable. THeir current approach of "keep hitting" can lead to such collapse. Especially if there is a wrist spinner in the opposition side. INdia is way too predictable which is also not a good thing to have. England and Australia have the resources and experience to overcome minor hiccups compared to others. Also pitch will be a deciding factor. One good thing in favor of WI though is AKeal hosein and Moti. 8 solid bankable overs.
Yeah but West Indies played some very smart cricket the other day. They were 92-1 in the powerplay. The West Indies of old would have tried to get 250. But Pooran played some very smart cricket by just rotating the strike and not giving any wickets to the spinners. It ended up working out perfectly as West Indies cashed out at the death. What differentiates West Indies from the rest is that they bat deep and the kind of power they have, no other team has.

I agree with you on India. But they are still a professional enough side to progress through to the semi-finals relatively unscathed. I expect Kuldeep to be very effective on these pitches. But India's true test will come in the semi-final.

England, I feel are a bit overrated. Their bowling is not as consistent as it should be. And there are ways to keep their batters quiet like we saw against Australia. They also don't have the same power that the West Indies do.

No point in discussing Australia. They will find a way to win even if they field the Queensland second XI team.

Two Pakistanis as well
Add in a Kiwi and 2 SA guys as well. Well, that's the beauty of USA.. That is exactly the essence of USA. A great melting pot ! (y) In due time, more local born 2nd gen and local Americans will be in the team. Especially the WI origin but American born players.

You're assuming you would win. You already got blasted at home vs. England, Australia, etc.

The USA coming to Pakistan and spanking you would surely ensure that the entire cricket infrastructure would change. You lost to Ireland at home, do you think we would have lost in Lauderhill had the match been played?
With all due respect, if any full member nation right now loses a series to the USA at home, they should stop playing cricket.

people are forgetting how long it took teams like zimbabwe and sri lanka that used to keep playing and losing to the test sides for decade(s) before the 90s onwards and then zimbabwe fell away.

whats most impressive is this is practically first time USA may be playing test sides, they beat Bangladesh in their series prior to world cup (who are also in second round), beat Pakistan, gave tough fight to India, chased tough big total against Canadan, gave tough fight to South Africa.

That Punjabi expats are overrated Harmeet ,Jesse ,Ali
Harmeet is good. 4-0-24-2 & 38 (22) in today's match. Jasdeep isn't an expat. Ali Khan moved to the US at the age of 10 and learnt his cricket there.

With all due respect, if any full member nation right now loses a series to the USA at home, they should stop playing cricket.
Not in this format. ODIs i agree. T20 brings the gap a lot closer. SA almost lost to Nepal who are also in their infancy stage. Oman was keeping Australia down for 15 overs. PNG with a bit of luck would have toppled WI. You just need 2 batsmen clicking or 2 bowlers clicking. It is not a shock anymore. T20 specialists don't really have great technique to fall back on when they are exposed to a tricky surface. On Tricky surfaces bowlers don't have to do anything surface will do everythign for them. That is where the gap gets closed.

Back