South Africa v Australia | 1st Test | Cape Town | 9-13 Nov 2011

236 to win - can SA do it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Runs
138150.2.jpg

Match scheduled to begin at 10:30 local time (13:30 PST)

Cape Town's surface has been the subject of much theorising so far, and early inspection revealed a pitch that offered hope to both the pace bowlers via plenty of grass, but also the spinners thanks to a prominent bare patch at one end. Some rain is forecast for the opening day, but sunnier skies are predicted thereafter.

Probable South African Squad

Graeme Smith (capt), Jacques Rudolph, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, Ashwell Prince, Mark Boucher (wk), Imran Tahir, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

Probable Australian Squad

Shane Watson, Phillip Hughes, Shaun Marsh, Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke (capt), Michael Hussey, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris, Peter Siddle, Nathan Lyon

Quotes

"The hard thing about Test cricket is maintaining that pressure and intensity the whole time. The more Test cricket you have as a base, you can maintain that pressure and intensity for longer periods." - Mike Hussey

"It's not about the pretty cover drive. You're not going to get too many chances to hit one of those. It's definitely a mental battle." - Ashwell Prince

It think if no rain, aus will win. Sa batting is weak and not inform

Yeah! Rain threatening the start of tomorrow's test match. Man! Stop this.
As far as South Africa's batting is concern their skipper claims that South Africa is under prepared, sounds like the mind games have started

Something really has changed team Aus after the Ashes/World cup lost... You can sense their are working really hard on fielding and bowling the main strong point which was lacking..

Draw or Aus will win this first test... Sa are underprepare but have a world class bowling attack.. Will be a close series...1 or 2 batsman playing well for the both sides I think..

As usual AUS will do well in TEST matches against SAF in SAF :)

Personally supporting Aussies for this series ....

why just 2 test matches??? 3 woulda been great.

It's a shame. I think they needed to reduce the number of Test matches to accommodate all the T20 internationals around the world.

Will they drop Copeland for Siddle? I thought he did very well in Sri Lanka. Definitely he will do better in S.A.. though I am pretty sure he will miss out to Siddle. The world is obsessed with pace.

Yeah, such a series should have a minimum of 3 tests.

The woes of the modern schedule, I suppose. :))

Did they drop Copeland really? Wonder why. Maybe it's a horses for courses selection. Maybe he just lost form. Problem with these new up and comers is that the variation between a good day and a bad day is much larger than a veteran, where the band of performance is narrower.

Last edited:
Did they drop Copeland really? Wonder why. Maybe it's a horses for courses selection. Maybe he just lost form. Problem with these new up and comers is that the variation between a good day and a bad day is much larger than a veteran, where the band of performance is narrower.

The decision has not been announced yet but most think Siddle will come in. Siddle took about as many wickets in one Test in SL as Copeland did in all three. That's the issue with Copeland, he bowled tight but not enough wickets (6 in 6 completed innings I think).

As far as the 2 Test series, that is just politics between CSA and CA about Boxing Day, they are punishing us for refusing to tour there over summer.

I gather Rudolph decided he wasn't much of a chance to be picked for England so has come back to play for South Africa. These South Africans are cherry pickers to the max.

Anyway, we will win, they are poor at home and Steyn takes time to find his rhythm.

Oz to win. South Africa are pants. Well, not that bad but you know.

Aussies will take it easily

Better openers, middle order, and tail

South Africa have slightly better bowling attack though imo

We need a South African win to go up in the standings, so my support is behind the Saffers.

Come on Steyn, rip them up. :yk

I would love to see Copeland against South Africa. But I think his pace is the real problem even though he is quite good with his line and length :asif

Just watch what Dale Steyn did the last time he had the red cherry in his hand at this ground. This does not come close to capturing the brilliance of Steyn in that match; the plays-and-misses by :sachin The supreme control and the breathlessness of non-stop pace bowling of the highest order.

[utube]b1IZh-VO4jA&feature[/utube]​

Last edited:
Now this is a series to look forward to

Nothing better in test cricket

Aussies vs Proteas

Your South Africans are definetly better than their South Africans anyway......

lol.. :)))

Head to Head: Australia have a better success rate against South Africa while playing in the African country. Off 45 matches, Australia have won 25 while the home team have been victors on 11 occasions. 9 matches were drawn. Taking series wins into account, Australia have won 9 series while South Africa have been victorious in only 2 and one series was drawn.

Last edited:
Now this is a series to look forward to

Nothing better in test cricket

Aussies vs Proteas

Hold your horses right there....

"Nothing better in test cricket than Aussies vs Proteas".....

I find that funny for some reason!

Updates: South Africa won the toss and they elected to bowl first in overcast condition at Cape Town.

South Africa Team - GC Smith*, HM Amla, JH Kallis, JA Rudolph, VD Philander, AG Prince, MV Boucher†, Imran Tahir, DW Steyn, M Morkel, AB de Villiers

Australia Team - SR Watson, PJ Hughes, RT Ponting, MJ Clarke*, SE Marsh, MEK Hussey, BJ Haddin†, MG Johnson, PM Siddle, NM Lyon, RJ Harris

Last edited:
S.A will be looking to do some early damage here after winning the toss.

I think philander for tsosobe is a good move. S.A need to be aggresive and look for wickets all the time rather then have a hold an end up bowler come on after steyn/morkel.

Imran Tahir playing for SA i see, yet not one mention of them 'importing' gun players etc. Wonder why, still i expect the usual jokers to start bitching when he starts bowling teams out.

Imran Tahir playing for SA i see, yet not one mention of them 'importing' gun players etc. Wonder why, still i expect the usual jokers to start bitching when he starts bowling teams out.

I think you will find ive already mentioned about Jacques rudolph abusing the Kolpak rule,

But then again South Africa "A" have pretty much abused that rule even more so!

Wouldnt be shocked if we see atleast 20 south africans playing in one test series this summer in the UK! :)

I think you will find ive already mentioned about Jacques rudolph abusing the Kolpak rule,

But then again South Africa "A" have pretty much abused that rule even more so!

Wouldnt be shocked if we see atleast 20 south africans playing in one test series this summer in the UK! :)

We could play 11 Scots & still kick Pakistan's ****. :)

Anyway back on topic, i'm disappointed that Patrick Cummins isn't playing, i wanted to see him in action.

Watson gone... Will be hard to score Aus any where to 300 I feel

Steyn is bowling well not bowling that was but plenty in this pitch.. Shoaib Akhtar would have eaten these Australian batsman

Dale you beauty :D

He's currently hitting 145-150 km/h too.

such a beautiful bowler is Steyn, could watch him bowl all day. :heart:

Philander is getting this new ball to move around alot! very impressive!

AT other end you have worlds premier fast bowler dale steyn!

No rest here for Aussie batsmen!

Cant see Hughes last much longer here. S.A seem to be bowling to better plans to him compared to his debut series!

Aus struggling here I feel.. Someone gonna have to make a big century here Ifor them

ah well bowled there, thru slip and gully.

never seen Philander bowl this quick, couldn't pass 130k on debut :)))

Looking forward to this, I personally cannot see us bowling out Safrica.

Maybe two draws

Fun will begin Ponting in early and vs new bowl and both bowlers in form and the pitch is helping the faster bowlers... This is real cricket:D

Wont be shocked if this is a low scoring test match all round!

500th Test catch for boucher! Well done!

Ponting in and hes been short off runs, so needs to find some form!

get that inswinger to Marsh on target, Steyn's gonna get him bowled...

Steyn bowling to many bouncer seems to bowl better to right handers.. but need to pitch the bowl up here I bit more...

Well it's pretty much like Steyn and Morkel being English and playing for South Africa. But you are just a cheerleader for England, yet to see you make an insightful contribution to this forum so the point is lost on you.

Looks like we have lost Steynlotto, sometimes he is in rhythm, sometimes not :(

Might be time to move Watto to number 4 and bring Usman in to open.

hughes is a walking wicket, khawaga is a far more solid player than this clown

Steyn needs to bowl a yard fuller here and he will then start causing even more problems. Hes beating the bat by to big a margin at moment.

Sa seems to have a stronger batting line have better player vs pace I feel..

Haha Punter having one of those days...let's see if he gets going.

Great pull shot by Ponting, classic stuff from him.

Punter needs to be careful he doesnt fall over and get out LBW here.

This is so much better than any ODI match. Juicy pitch, great bowlers, nice to see the batsmen having to work for runs.

Woah! that was an old school Smash from Punter!

Reminded me off him in his pomp!

Dont think Philander will be bowling it short again to punter!

Awesome early pick up hook shot that!

Looks like there is some uneven bounce. I think Morkel might cause a few problems.

Well it's pretty much like Steyn and Morkel being English and playing for South Africa. But you are just a cheerleader for England, yet to see you make an insightful contribution to this forum so the point is lost on you.

lol, whinging Aussie.

after all the over the top praises for Hughes, I wonder if he is the same person who walked out to open the innings for Australia. Looks out of depth everytime he is up against quality fast bowling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back