South Africa vs Zimbabwe - What's the Point?

Taurus

Local Club Star
Runs
Post of the Week
As I begin to write, the South African batsmen (even Kallis) are massacring the Zimbabwean bowlers to all areas, and Boucher in particular is having a lot of fun with 59* off 28 balls.

As Zimbabwe are set for a heavy defeat of around 200+ runs, it begs the question as to the point of Zimbabwe being pitted against their hosts. Zimbabwe are a developing cricket nation, who have serious problems in terms of infrastructure and politics at this moment in time. Really, what are their young players going to gain from being thrashed by South Africa at this moment in time.

Some people have argued that the experience is necessary. For iron-willed individuals, maybe the experience is a good thing. However, 8 or 9 players from the Zimbabwe team will surely leave the ground today asking themselves what the point was. I know cricket is fun for all ages and levels of player, but being well and truly thrashed by clearly superior opposition is not something I have ever considered to be fun.

It's alright having minnows in World Cricket, but ultimately handing them a pasting every week benefits neither the victors or the vanquished. South Africa and the ICC should be ashamed that they've allowed the S.A. fans and Zimbabwe players to be subjected to this joke of a series.

They once said the same in a World Cup match between Pak and Bang :)

Augustus said:
As I begin to write, the South African batsmen (even Kallis) are massacring the Zimbabwean bowlers to all areas, and Boucher in particular is having a lot of fun with 59* off 28 balls.

As Zimbabwe are set for a heavy defeat of around 200+ runs, it begs the question as to the point of Zimbabwe being pitted against their hosts. Zimbabwe are a developing cricket nation, who have serious problems in terms of infrastructure and politics at this moment in time. Really, what are their young players going to gain from being thrashed by South Africa at this moment in time.

Some people have argued that the experience is necessary. For iron-willed individuals, maybe the experience is a good thing. However, 8 or 9 players from the Zimbabwe team will surely leave the ground today asking themselves what the point was. I know cricket is fun for all ages and levels of player, but being well and truly thrashed by clearly superior opposition is not something I have ever considered to be fun.

It's alright having minnows in World Cricket, but ultimately handing them a pasting every week benefits neither the victors or the vanquished. South Africa and the ICC should be ashamed that they've allowed the S.A. fans and Zimbabwe players to be subjected to this joke of a series.

I Always thought to be the best you got to play the best thats all i have to say

Boucher is on the verge of a record breaking test century.
He's currently on 77 off 37 balls

I'm not sure what the record is.

93 from 42 balls
3 balls to get 7 runs

not too hard so there goes afridis record

Finally some good battign from SA! Oh man I hope someone post highlights! I want to see this fast pace batting. Dang! What a knock!

gambino said:
93 from 42 balls
3 balls to get 7 runs

not too hard so there goes afridis record

Afridi's record is 37 balls. His second fastest century is 45 balls (tied with Lara).

Are South Africa going to regain their world record ODI score? R/R is 8.1 and rising. Current projected score is 405.

hes gonna get afridi's and jayasuriyas most sixes record too

11 sixes in an innings

that geezer bowled 11 overs,

wat the hell?

maybe that over will be taken out of official records!!
lets hope so

hes been dropped like 6 times now!!
no wonder hes got so many sixes!!

what a flukey innings

gambino said:
hes been dropped like 6 times now!!
no wonder hes got so many sixes!!

what a flukey innings

Are you serios oh my god i forgot there playing zimbabwe

31.4 Utseya to Boucher, FOUR, Dropped at deep midwicket by Mupariwa, uses his feet and lofts it high in the air to deep midwicket, it goes through the hands of the fielder to the fence

37.5 Utseya to Boucher, 1 run, Dropped at extra-cover by Duffin, hits it straight into his hands

43.6 Rainsford to Boucher, 1 run, Dropped at extra-cover by Duffin

why the hell did pakistan cancel zimbabwe's tour!!!!??

a perfect oppurtunity for afridi and razzaq to get unbreakable records!!

gambino said:
why the hell did pakistan cancel zimbabwe's tour!!!!??

a perfect oppurtunity for afridi and razzaq to get unbreakable records!!

Its better when you do it against quality teams.

Big deal - Afridi lost his 2nd fastest ton record. Only the 37 ball record is the one we need to worry about - which is safe for now.

omg! a record might be broken here, the unbroken might be broken here!!!

Anwar made 194!!!! hess on 115!! 5 ov left 5 ov=30balls!!!!!!! 194-115=89!!!! 89 off 30 balls and having stirike all the time nooooo way!

Uzzy said:
Its better when you do it against quality teams.

Is that why our records against India are not taken seriously?

na im just exagerating, 20 odd balls left and he needs more then 80 runs!

I cant believe some of the comments I am reading....

What a beastly innings from Boucher..

Amir said:
Is that why our records against India are not taken seriously?

What are you talking about? Who says they are not taken seriously?

Oxy said:
I cant believe some of the comments I am reading....

When i started reading this thread, i thought RSA were on 400 of 30 overs or something, but there on 370 of 46 lol!

another dropped catch!!!

47.1 Masakadza to Boucher, FOUR, hits it hard in the air to long on, where Mupariwa drops the catch, goes through his hands and rolls into the fence

Boucher hits 100 of 44 balls. wat was Afridi's of, 37?

I swear afridi hit a hundred of 42 balls, not 45, im not sure though!

nah rana, it was osmething in the 30's, either 37 or 36.

Duminy acting like and idiot and not giving boucher the strike lol!

Back