Sri Lanka (179/6) beat Afghanistan (175/6) by 4 wickets in the Asia Cup 2022 Super Fours

So basically this tourney as well is win toss, field first and win the match.

Not really... It was the Afghanis failing to take advantage of the last couple of overs when batting and then dropping catches that is costing them today (the latter also applies to Bangladesh)...

Like I said, win toss, win match.
The rest is just drama to distract us.
Does anyone know if 100% of the matches in this Asia Cup so far have been won by teams winning the toss?
How does UAE compare to other parts of the world in terms of toss win and winning percentage?
I have an incredibly daring prediction to make for the match tomorrow. Whoever wins the toss, India or Pakistan, will win the match.
T-20 cricket is an abomination. In so many ways.

Lol what? Most of the matches have been pretty close. Even yesterday Hong Kong won the toss against Pakistan but lost the match. :inti

SL will beat us and will be in the final. There batting is very talented and they have hitters throughout and what they lack in brain power they make up with talent. Our batting is the weakest amongst the 4 countries and it will cost us dearly

They have clean hitters throughout their batting line up. In comparison we have Baber and Rizwan to lay the foundation for last five overs burst.:wahab2

Lovely paced run-chase this by Sri Lanka.

Showing their experience and match awareness.

The failure of Rashid Khan cost Afghanistan this match. He normally bowls economically while snaffling up important wickets in the middle overs. Nothing of such happened today. Mujeeb and Nabi are not going to win the match by themselves.

Arnold getting too excited. LOL

You are winning against AFG, who do not even have a proper home cricket setup. Guess SL's standards have fallen

The failure of Rashid Khan cost Afghanistan this match. He normally bowls economically while snaffling up important wickets in the middle overs. Nothing of such happened today. Mujeeb and Nabi are not going to win the match by themselves.

Yeah but that just goes to show what a one-dimensional team Afghanistan is.

He and Athar are completely biased.

Athar is far, far worse. But Arnold is very hard to tolerate too. Gambhir is pretty bad too. Every time he is commentating you get the feeling that someone slapped him a few times before he entered the commentary box

Athar is far, far worse. But Arnold is very hard to tolerate too. Gambhir is pretty bad too. Every time he is commentating you get the feeling that someone slapped him a few times before he entered the commentary box

Athar gets excited. But he takes the insults, and banter much more sportively than Russell. But Russell is a thin-skinned guy. He takes it to his heart immediately.

Dew buried Afghanistan lol It effectively nullified their spinners.

Disagree. I think it was Sri Lanka batters attacking approach that won them the game. They never let the Afghan spinners settle or build any pressure. Even when they were losing wickets they didn't stop attacking and hitting boundaries. Definitely something Pakistan should learn from imo.

Won't be harsh on Afghanistan bowling. If there is anything you can blame it is their batting in the last 2 overs. It is tough to bowl with zero assistance from the surface in the 2nd innings.

Disagree. I think it was Sri Lanka batters attacking approach that won them the game. They never let the Afghan spinners settle or build any pressure.

But ball hardly turned an inch. No grip at all. That is why they were able to time it. The same attacking approach buried srilanka in the first match. Reason was they were batting first.

Athar gets excited. But he takes the insults, and banter much more sportively than Russell. But Russell is a thin-skinned guy. He takes it to his heart immediately.

Yeah but Athar's cheerleading and complete lack of objectivity is far worse imo. He legit acts like Bangladesh is a top-level team which I find absolutely laughable.

Team chasing will win 99% of these games

Yes, unless the difference in quality is huge, it wi be the team chasing that will win.

Actually Australia won the WT20 also because they won tosses consecutively more than any other team. Even NZ were able to beat England only because they were chasing in semis. England were a better team on merit.

But ball hardly turned an inch. No grip at all. That is why they were able to time it. The same attacking approach buried srilanka in the first match. Reason was they were batting first.

There was spin though. A number of balls turned and stayed low. Sri Lankan batters though regularly used their feet to negate the spin which caused Afghan bowlers to change their strategy.

Afghanistan were also poor in the field and with their reviews. The umpire missed a clear lbw too which was out and not reviewed

179/6 by Sri Lanka today is the highest ever run-chase in a T20I at Sharjah

Disagree. I think it was Sri Lanka batters attacking approach that won them the game. They never let the Afghan spinners settle or build any pressure. Even when they were losing wickets they didn't stop attacking and hitting boundaries. Definitely something Pakistan should learn from imo.
All of SL batsmen can hit sixes from the word go. Very young side but with great batting potenial. Their bowling is weak though.

Any thoughts on Afghanistan’s consistent chokes in big games

1) world cup group stage v pak 2019
2) world cup group stage v sri lnka 2019
3) world cup group stage v pak 2021
4) world cup qualifier v zimbabwe 2018
5) asia cup super four v sri lanka 2022

All in all this was a decent match. Could have been a genuine cliffhanger but for last 2 over batting by Afghanistan. They had like 9 wickets in hand with 5 overs to go. It was not like they were facing Malinga.

Sri Lanka Bat down right down to number 10 which gives confidence to the top order to keep attacking. Also the Lankan batters aren't tula hacks, they attack while playing intelligent cricketing shots and look at the field as well

AFG 175/6 (20)

SL 179/6 (19.1)

Sri Lanka won by 4 wkts

==

Chasing a target of 176, Sri Lanka held their nerves to beat Afghanistan by four wickets in the Asia Cup Super 4 clash in Sharjah.

Openers Pathum Nissanka (35) and Kusal Mendis (36) gave Sri Lanka a flying start, adding 62 runs for the first wicket.

However, Afghanistan spinner took control of the proceedings with Mujeeb Ur Rahman and Mohammad Nabi taking a total of three wickets between them. However, Danushka Gunathilaka (33) and Bhanuka Rajapaksa's (31) power-hitting swung the match back in Sri Lanka's favour.

Earlier, Rahmanullah Gurbaz played a counter-attacking 84 while Ibrahim Zadran also played a knock of 40 as Afghanistan went on to post a total of 175 for six in 20 overs against Sri Lanka. Rahmanullah and Ibrahim had added 93 runs for the second wicket, after the Hazratullah Zazai was dismissed for cheap.

For Sri Lanka, Dilshan Madushanka took two for 37 while Maheesh Theekshana and Asitha Fernando bagged a wicket each.

Lol what? Most of the matches have been pretty close. Even yesterday Hong Kong won the toss against Pakistan but lost the match. :inti

He is right. Toss has decided the fate of matches so far. Hong Kong isn't even in such a position to take advantage of winning the toss, so don't give their example. UAE is really a pathetic place.

They have clean hitters throughout their batting line up. In comparison we have Baber and Rizwan to lay the foundation for last five overs burst.:wahab2

I was a fan of Babar and Riz opening because they brought stability but now that is becoming a noose around our necks, as they lack intent, we look lost. Babar is too stats minded and if they bat slowly and get out, we don't get 150, which isn't enough on any wicket.

Sri Lanka Bat down right down to number 10 which gives confidence to the top order to keep attacking. Also the Lankan batters aren't tula hacks, they attack while playing intelligent cricketing shots and look at the field as well

The SLs are talented but lack batting intelligence. Just imagine if they can combine the 2.

C9lsLJD.png

I was a fan of Babar and Riz opening because they brought stability but now that is becoming a noose around our necks, as they lack intent, we look lost. Babar is too stats minded and if they bat slowly and get out, we don't get 150, which isn't enough on any wicket.

Completely agree with this.

As a matter of fact, Babar Azam is only slightly better than Hong Kong's Babar Hayat in T20s.

Srilanka has a good batting template. Lot of batsmen all of them capable of hitting sixes. Just their bowling is iffy.

Lanka (179/6) beat Afghanistan (175/6) by 4 wickets in the Asia Cup 2022 Super Fours

The things that Sri Lanka did right were, they neutralised the threat of Rashid Khan and played him really well - I was astounded to discover that these figures of one for 39 off four overs are now his most expensive ones in the UAE! - and they also kept the Afghanistan batsmen very quiet in the last five overs of the latter`s innings. If Afghanistan had had a few good overs there towards the end, the total would've definitely swelled up a lot and would've caused Sri Lanka much problems in the chase. Gurbaz`s innings was really brilliant, but none of the other Afghan batsmen really got going. The worst still was Ibrahim`s innings which put the brakes on the scoring rate and kept undoing Gurbaz`s effort. 40 off 38 is just not acceptable in T20 cricket if your team is only one down for as long as around 15 overs. A poor innings which cost them in the end, I think.

Some of the shots by Rajapaksa were pure joy to watch. I love some of these Sri Lankan T20 players. They really play the game the way it's supposed to be played - as far as the spectators are concerned, at least. I was impressed with him even in the last T20 World Cup.

In the end, a good, entertaining, game of cricket.

Lanka (179/6) beat Afghanistan (175/6) by 4 wickets in the Asia Cup 2022 Super Fours

179/6 by Sri Lanka today is the highest ever run-chase in a T20I at Sharjah

A surprising stat. Didn't see that coming.

Sri Lanka, I feel getting better with every game they are playing.

The things that Sri Lanka did right were, they neutralised the threat of Rashid Khan and played him really well - I was astounded to discover that these figures of one for 39 off four overs are now his most expensive ones in the UAE! - and they also kept the Afghanistan batsmen very quiet in the last five overs of the latter`s innings. If Afghanistan had had a few good overs there towards the end, the total would've definitely swelled up a lot and would've caused Sri Lanka much problems in the chase. Gurbaz`s innings was really brilliant, but none of the other Afghan batsmen really got going. The worst still was Ibrahim`s innings which put the brakes on the scoring rate and kept undoing Gurbaz`s effort. 40 off 38 is just not acceptable in T20 cricket if your team is only one down for as long as around 15 overs. A poor innings which cost them in the end, I think.

Some of the shots by Rajapaksa were pure joy to watch. I love some of these Sri Lankan T20 players. They really play the game the way it's supposed to be played - as far as the spectators are concerned, at least. I was impressed with him even in the last T20 World Cup.

In the end, a good, entertaining, game of cricket.

Rashid seemed off - they showed physio/masseur massaging his shoulder many times.

What? You're using Hong Kong as the counter-example? That's the only team to which this rule doesn't apply in this tournament.
I tuned in for a few minutes toward the end. The hype, the drama, the commentators' unlistenable excitement. Oh, they turned on the body language after the 15th over, there was a spring in their step, there was intent. Such nonsense! It had nothing to do with it, Afghanistan would have done the same had they won the toss.
T-20 is a game of formulas, so just follow the formula depending on the time and place.

I want India to lose the toss tomorrow and then win the match, that would be something.

Matches in UAE are getting too predictable with this toss factor.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">179/6 by Sri Lanka today is the highest ever run-chase in a T20I at Sharjah <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AsiaCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AsiaCup</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BANvSL?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BANvSL</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1566121192758689796?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 3, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I want India to lose the toss tomorrow and then win the match, that would be something.

Matches in UAE are getting too predictable with this toss factor.

I don't think it's that straightforward. Afghanistan should have won today but poorly fielding and really good batting by SL cost them

Actually Mujeeb is their ace bowler.. he failed today to take wicket with new ball.. he often does that..

Afghanistan just did not do well in their last 5 overs. 37 runs is a poor return when you are only three wickets down at the 15-over mark. 190+ would have been a different ball game altogether. A lesson for other teams..

Back