Struggling in my batting - please help

Smooth_Operator

Tape Ball Regular
Runs
Salam guys, so I'm just going to dive right in this.

Strictly talking about Tapeball cricket btw.

I have been playing tape ball cricket for around 2-3 years now, first picked up playing cricket in Summer of '09 (in fact my first experience watching cricket was the T20 WC 09 :D )

So I have improved remarkably since my debut and I thought I was making great strides, this summer I hit a 50 (8 over match) and then left on vacation and when I came back home after 2 months and started playing again, I became a tailender.

Before I go on, just want to give you guys some details on how big tape ball cricket is here [Austin,TX].

Every Friday we play and have pretty good sized "grounds" (always straight,leg, and off) and the boundaries are pretty big and you are free to play your shots.

So specfically I want to talk about what happened today, I was given the captaincy for the first time (yay!) and we won the 2 match series 2-0!

However my own performance was so dismal, and this isn't the first time recently. You guys could say I've become :malik

Since August, I have changed my technique about 4-5 times and can't even seem to get bat on ball anymore. The guys I play with have some serious pace on them, so it can really test you although its tape ball.

So I went in at No. 3 as Skipper, one of my opener got out on a duck in the first over. Now this may sound weird but the place we played at today actually had the ball swinging.

Today I changed to an YK-esque technique but failed.. only managed 5 off 15 balls. :misbah

When I bat, I lose the ball in the air and also my reflexes have been slow. 2nd match I sent my pace bowler to open and he hit 59*... with 7 sixes!

I do consider myself to have an ability to bat, but I have really lacked confidence. Tape ball is such a quick game that you always have to be looking to play your shots, so no time to settle in.

Like I said, I lose the length of the ball and can't pick it. Also I've been feeling off-balanced and can't even play proper shots.

You can say that I've hit a big-time slump. I'm around 5'11 and about to be 19 in Feb. , so still a youngster :afridi

We do play every Friday, and since its Christmas Break here in America we may play more often.

I need to prove myself against my peers. Like I said I do have a 50 in Tape ball in the summer before I left on vacation. So I can play an innings, except now I'm just completely lost.

Maybe go back to my basics? Stick to one technique? :hafeez

But now I'm confused on what exactly are my basics. What can you tell someone who is struggling to even rotate strike. I really do feel that I can shine with the bat.

Was given captaincy today and picked a good batting order and also brought on my bowlers at the right time. I might be given a full-go for a while. But ultimately, I'm looking to get some runs under my belt. I might be taking up hardball pretty soon to improve, but I don't see that happening until I start performing in tape ball, because the captain of one of the hardball teams won't put me on the roster unless he sees me becoming consistent.

Some help please. Thanks. Also let me know if you guys need to know anything else.

Don't try to change your technique too often...use the technique which has worked the best for you...

there is no use of fixing something that is not broken..

I also used to have technical issue before and I used to change it almost every time I went to bat, but now I don't..stick to one technique and Good Luck!!:hafeez

Play proper cricket shots but hit them hard. don't go for slogs. :misbah

BTW always remember to keep your eyes on the ball and keep your head straight

Last edited:
cover your stumps and get deep into the crease...2 things from that, won't get bowled and will have a bit more time to play a shot.

For some reason my problem is the straight ball, I am too undecisive on what shot to play, and end up getting out. Thanks btw for everyone who commented.

Straight ball is simple. Play straight and play in the V. Drive back past the bowler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might be taking up hardball pretty soon to improve, but I don't see that happening until I start performing in tape ball, because the captain of one of the hardball teams won't put me on the roster unless he sees me becoming consistent.
:))

cover ur stumps fully coz in tapeball dere is no lbw , focus on the bowler only , close ur eyes and swing ur stick as hard as you can :afridi

cover ur stumps fully coz in tapeball dere is no lbw , focus on the bowler only , close ur eyes and swing ur stick as hard as you can :afridi

Don't focus on the bowler, focus on the ball. Keep your eyes open and time the ball.

Listen Played on straight Shots make the ball like your punching dummie but u practise shots with the bat don`t hit to hardu might clober yourself Then you work on your Defensive shots after u perfectecd those u can focus on slog the ball and timng the ball in your needs.

Listen Played on straight Shots make the ball like your punching dummie but u practise shots with the bat don`t hit to hardu might clober yourself Then you work on your Defensive shots after u perfectecd those u can focus on slog the ball and timng the ball in your needs.

How can he do all these things in one go , impossible dude
i mean fullstops and commas :)

Hey guys! Wanted to give yall a quick update on my batting nowadays. It's improved TONS! I've struck a bit of form here. This Friday we played and I was sent No. 4 and we were chasing just 67 runs in 8 overs. Already had quite a bit of the runs down (Oh and btw usually in 8 overs a team can smack 100, so 67 was way below par). I came in and sweetly struck like 20 runs NOT OUT.

I also went to a HardBall Net Session with some uncles (one who used to play in the gullys with Saeed Anwar and the likes and the other with Younis Khan) and batted with my new technique and they were quite impressed and said if I continue coming to hardball practice it will just get better and better.

My technique before was more crouching and raising the bat, now I stand tall and relaxed and have a slight movement similar to Hashim Amla. And the change has helped so much. Standing tall and keeping my head still helped me so much and my drives are so much better.

Thanks everyone who posted here with suggestions and I hope the rest of yall had fun taking the mickey outta me ;).

Hopefully this slight bit of form continues.. will keep yall updated.

You always try to play those balls who comes in to stumps. Play perfect shots,and focus on the balls then hits hard to it. After that you will see that you are a good batsmen.

Back