Sunil Gavaskar Annoying much

Legendary India cricketer Sunil Gavaskar found himself on the wrong side of a social media uproar after making an unwarranted comment on Rajasthan Royals cricketer Shimron Hetmyer and his wife. Gavaskar was blasted by fans on Twitter for his avoidable remark made on commentary during the Chennai Super Kings vs Rajasthan Royals IPL 2022 match at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai on Friday.

Hetmyer, who was returning to the Royals XI, came in to bat when RR lost their fifth wicket and were in a tricky situation in their 151-run chase against CSK. It was then that Gavaskar, in commentary, said: "Hetmyer's wife delivered, will Hetmyer deliver for the Royals now?"

Hetmyer had left the RR bubble and travelled to Guyana to be with his wife, who was pregnant with their first child. Hetmyer was blessed with a baby on May 10.

After spending a few days with his wife and newborn, the attacking left-hander returned to India and joined the Royals. He was picked as soon as he was available for the selection by the Royals in their important last fixture against CSK.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...y-in-csk-vs-rr-ipl-match-101653100437480.html

^ when one has been in the commentary box for over 3 decades, it is simply impossible not to utter words which do not offend someone.

When you speak live, things can go wrong sometimes. None issue really.

Mountain made out of molehill. People on social media are idle in general and love to escalate miniscule things.

Indian batting great Sunil Gavaskar hasn’t been able to travel to Kolkata to commentate on the two playoff games due his aged mother Meenal’s health condition.

Gavaskar came out of the bio-bubble on Saturday and started attending to his hospitalised mother.

“The doctors are of the opinion that she is improving. We are all hopeful that she will come back home soon,” Gavaskar told mid-day.

He will wait till his mother recovers before deciding to travel to Ahmedabad for Sunday’s grand final.

“It all depends on her health condition. For me, that is the most important thing.

“I am most thankful to the BCCI production unit for understanding the situation and giving me the time off to be with my mother. God willing, I will be there for the finals in Ahmedabad,” Gavaskar added.

https://www.mid-day.com/sports/cric...-to-commentate-in-final-at-ahmedabad-23228839

To be honest most Asian commentators are pretty awful They either just state the bleeding obvious or just talk rubbish. You don't get the interesting insight, anecdotes etc that you get from Australians, English, South Africans.

I remember a proper face palm moment with Wasim when we beat SA in the T20 SF in 2009:

'And Pakistan have qualified for the world icc T20'

Errrr, you what Wasim?

I don't think Gavaskar is exceptionally bad. Just a typical Asian commentator.

To be honest most Asian commentators are pretty awful They either just state the bleeding obvious or just talk rubbish. You don't get the interesting insight, anecdotes etc that you get from Australians, English, South Africans.

I remember a proper face palm moment with Wasim when we beat SA in the T20 SF in 2009:

'And Pakistan have qualified for the world icc T20'

Errrr, you what Wasim?

I don't think Gavaskar is exceptionally bad. Just a typical Asian commentator.

He is the worst.

The poor grammar of Pakistanis may hurt our ears but Sunny is basically a paid BCCI shill. He is horribly biased and smug. There is no point listening to him because we know he is never going to drift from his script

He is the worst.

The poor grammar of Pakistanis may hurt our ears but Sunny is basically a paid BCCI shill. He is horribly biased and smug. There is no point listening to him because we know he is never going to drift from his script

Gavaskar isn't overawed by the English or Aussies and simply doesn't give into the gora babu narrative. That may hurt people's ego.

There are few commentators who can match his technical analysis.

He must have friends in higher places to keep on getting commentary gigs.

The guy's analysis is awful, he's unfunny and he's out of touch with modern cricket.

He’s a poor commentator. Lacks knowledge of players, has obvious biases and his analysis is usually superficial.

Gavaskar isn't overawed by the English or Aussies and simply doesn't give into the gora babu narrative. That may hurt people's ego.

There are few commentators who can match his technical analysis.

He provides zero technical insights and is a one sides biased bore. Not sure why you had to mention gora babu etc and get defensive.

His shenanigans as a pundit are known worldwide - in the last year he has made some howlers that I can recall and generally I mute him when he speaks.

His lol comments saying expect fireworks when India bat against Pakistan in the world cup and mentioning how its likely sharma and rahul will get not get out in 20 overs.

Then he said the world cup doesnt matter.

Add to that his comments on Shane Warne and ive seen people slating him for his recent IPL commentary.

All of this is within the past year or so. Im sure if we could back in time we can fill a book with his cringe comments.

He provides zero technical insights and is a one sides biased bore. Not sure why you had to mention gora babu etc and get defensive.

His shenanigans as a pundit are known worldwide - in the last year he has made some howlers that I can recall and generally I mute him when he speaks.

His lol comments saying expect fireworks when India bat against Pakistan in the world cup and mentioning how its likely sharma and rahul will get not get out in 20 overs.

Then he said the world cup doesnt matter.

Add to that his comments on Shane Warne and ive seen people slating him for his recent IPL commentary.

All of this is within the past year or so. Im sure if we could back in time we can fill a book with his cringe comments.

A person who can technically find faults in the batting of Dravid and Kohli and then makes them acknowledge it and correct it, needs no other proof.

Asian commentators apart from few Indians are yes boys of the white commie sitting with them, thats the hard truth.

So you are basically sore because of his comments on pakistan.Thats ok. He isn't going to massage your ego like Nasser Hussain or Atherton.

What comments on Shane Warne?

Age is catching him up nowadays but he was not bad as per the standards that is set for Asian commentators. One of the better commentators to come from India.

A person who can technically find faults in the batting of Dravid and Kohli and then makes them acknowledge it and correct it, needs no other proof.

Asian commentators apart from few Indians are yes boys of the white commie sitting with them, thats the hard truth.

So you are basically sore because of his comments on pakistan.Thats ok. He isn't going to massage your ego like Nasser Hussain or Atherton.

What comments on Shane Warne?

I think you are just a fan of his horrible commie because he massages the ego of Indians.

And thats fine. If you like listening to paid robots thats your right brother.

He must have friends in higher places to keep on getting commentary gigs.

The guy's analysis is awful, he's unfunny and he's out of touch with modern cricket.

He is one of the greatest to play the game, probably has more test runs than any of those sky pundits. He has earned his way to success.

2010 SA tour, he found faults in Dravid's technique. Dravid later only corrected the same issue and said in a tv interview that he had that issue and worked on it.

2014 England tour, He found a fault in Kohli's technique regards to how his head was falling over due to a wide stance. Shastri was commenting with him during that phase. Later on Shastri joined the Indian team and after Kohli had a stupendous series told how his stance was corrected.

This is his technical analysis of two legends of the game. Speaks volumes about his capability.

Just that he doesn't do the usual yes yes to white boys, like most other commies from Asia.

I think you are just a fan of his horrible commie because he massages the ego of Indians.

And thats fine. If you like listening to paid robots thats your right brother.

Just because he doesn't do pakistan pakistan all the time like Atherton and Hussain, you hate him. He has ample praise for the likes Imran Miandad etc. May be because he played with them, he doesn't go ooh aah for some Amir or Afridi.

You reserve your right to listen to the praises of Atherton Hussain et al hyping up players.

Sunil Gavasker suffers from the same condition as Rameez. Both started off adequate and were pretty decent commentators / analysts - gavaskar early 90s, Rameez late 90s.

Then for some reason they want to “be a character”, “be witty” and go OTT about everything to the point of being completely nauseating.

Just because he doesn't do pakistan pakistan all the time like Atherton and Hussain, you hate him. He has ample praise for the likes Imran Miandad etc. May be because he played with them, he doesn't go ooh aah for some Amir or Afridi.

You reserve your right to listen to the praises of Atherton Hussain et al hyping up players.

Why would he talk about current Pakistani players when he rarely commentates on their matches.

There should be an age limit on cricket commentators - the older ones do sometime get politically incorrect & seem to bank on their past laurels than actually give any kind of technical insight on the game in progress.

Back