"Team Management is seeing something that suggests I can also win matches for them down the order": Fakhar Zaman

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Fakhar Zaman during New Zealand vs Pakistan T20 series pre-game Presser:

About Tim Southee:

“He may not be that fast, but whenever we discuss him, he is still considered one of the best in the world because of his experience. He bowls well with both the new and old ball. With the new ball, he gets some swing, and with the older ball, he uses his variations. Personally, I have played against him many times, but I never felt that he is an easy bowler to face. He is one of the best in the world.”

About short boundaries at Eden Park:

“In cricket, I think we need to adapt to the conditions. If the wicket plays well, then it is really easy to score runs, especially on short boundaries. In 2018, I played a game here that was high scoring, and the history of this ground is similar. So, we are really looking forward to playing here.”

About local fans and support:

“In 2018, when I was here for the first time, I met very few Pakistani people. But now, I think there are more, and they are now coaching in the domestic circuit, which is a really good thing. Even one of my neighbors is here as a net bowler, which is good for us to meet them. They were asking so many questions, and want to see their favorite cricketers as well. So, it’s really nice to be here and to see all these Pakistani people here.”

“Our T20 side is very dangerous, and we can beat any team on any given day. So, we are really excited for this tour. I am feeling very confident. To be honest, I did not play any club cricket after the World Cup, but we had a camp in Lahore where we worked really hard. Obviously, everybody is in very good touch.”

The biggest challenge when you come to New Zealand:

“The biggest challenge for us is that we only have two to three days of training and net practice. I think in New Zealand, you need more days, like 10 to 15 days, to get familiar with the wickets because there is too much difference in the bounce of the wicket if you compare it with the pitches in Pakistan. But as professional cricketers, we are now used to that, so there is no excuse. I think everybody is ready, the way everybody was hitting the ball in the net, I think we are ready to go.”

“To be honest, we are really happy to face the mainstream bowling of New Zealand in the bilateral series. We wanted that because this is the year of the World Cup, so we wanted to play against stronger teams. This is a really good sign for us. The big guns like Lockie Ferguson and Kane Williamson are really good players, and we are looking forward to playing against them.”

"Look, our T20 team has always been very good, and our bench strength is also very strong. The boys who have recently joined the team need a little time, in my opinion. When a team is selected, it doesn’t happen that a player who has made a place in the team today is playing tomorrow. There is a lot of struggle behind them. So, in my opinion, if these players are given a little more time, the team that has just been formed will indeed become very strong.”

About the combination at the opening:

"In my opinion, this is not a sacrifice; it’s the decision of the management and the captain. If I’m not being considered for the opening, then they are seeing something that suggests I can also win matches for them down the order. You know that this is a national team, and there are thousands of players in line. So, in this situation, I consider myself lucky. If I’m not being considered for the opening spot, and seeing how Babar and Rizwan are playing, how Saim is playing, I consider myself lucky. If I’m not being considered for the opening, they are trying me one down or two down. So, in my opinion, in Pakistan, you can never say that I am sacrificing my slot because this is a national team. I think that even if I’m played on the sixth or seventh number, I will play happily.”

About coordination with Shaheen as a captain:

"Absolutely, when Shaheen joined Lahore Qalandars in 2018, we have been together since then, and I have seen him groom. The way he has carried himself and then when he got the captaincy, I have said this before, he has proved many people wrong who thought he couldn’t captain. Because every match that he has played, there was improvement. I hope that the way he has captained Lahore Qalandars and won a cup, he will take it forward because I know that there is a lot of difference between franchise cricket and international cricket. But he has leadership qualities, and I hope that he will win as many matches as possible for Pakistan.”

"In every match, our goal is to play as well as possible. I remember the World Cup innings, and from my side, I will try to contribute as much as I can to the team’s victory. Even if I get one over or 10 overs, I will strive to perform well.”

About resting Babar, Rizwan, and himself:

“Absolutely, new players should be given a chance. The first thing is that we have Babar and Rizwan, and they have delivered many outstanding performances. The batting order can be shuffled, but in my opinion, replacing them will not be so easy. However, if any player is rested, then you prepare your backup. The World Cup is coming, and we have 15 to 20 matches. In my opinion, new players should absolutely be given a chance, so that in the World Cup, we don’t have to play a new player directly.”

“New Zealand’s team has always been tough, regardless of the conditions in which they play. This will be a tough series, and our team is also very good. We are also playing with full strength, as is New Zealand, so I hope that we will play all the matches very well. There will be very tough matches, and this series will also provide an opportunity to prepare for the World Cup."​

I'm super excited for this series, especially for Fakhar Zaman. I have high expectations from him. As he mentioned, the biggest challenge for the Pakistan team is that they only have two to three days of training and net practice. I don't agree with this because Fakhar, along with Babar, Rizwan, and Shaheen, has already played in New Zealand before. They don't need extra days to get familiar with the conditions.

Fakhar is at number 4 because he is a Markram, Brook, Surya, Phillips type player?

Or he is at number 4 because Rizwan won’t be able to get his 50 in his own time if he doesn’t open?

Fakhar is at number 4 because he is a Markram, Brook, Surya, Phillips type player?

Or he is at number 4 because Rizwan won’t be able to get his 50 in his own time if he doesn’t open?
Going by his abysmal T20 record and lack of match winning performances Fakhar should consider himself lucky for being part of the squad

Going by his abysmal T20 record and lack of match winning performances Fakhar should consider himself lucky for being part of the squad
He is Pakistan’s proven big match player, he stands up for Pakistan when all others don’t, and when Pakistan need him the most.

What else does he need to prove? You pick players for what they are capable of doing on their best day…not what they do regularly (which isn’t good enough as is proven in the case of our openers). That’s how England and Australia pick their players, and no wonder they are leagues ahead of us.

He is Pakistan’s proven big match player, he stands up for Pakistan when all others don’t, and when Pakistan need him the most.

What else does he need to prove? You pick players for what they are capable of doing on their best day…not what they do regularly (which isn’t good enough as is proven in the case of our openers). That’s how England and Australia pick their players, and no wonder they are leagues ahead of us.
You are mixing formats. Fakhar is a match winner in ODI format. Can't recall him doing much in the shortest format

Fakhar should be there during the power play-overs when the field is up. It doesn't make sense for him to be in at 4.

My ideal is still:

Fahar
Ayub
Rizwan
Babar / Ifti

You are mixing formats. Fakhar is a match winner in ODI format. Can't recall him doing much in the shortest format
That’s easier said than done, especially in the case of Pakistan.

Mohammad Rizwan reinforced his insistence to open for Pakistan on the back of his performances against Australia, and his hundred against Sri Lanka in the ODI World Cup. It’s the only reason why he got his way whereas Babar quietly stepped aside. So performances in other formats are indeed adding weightage in selection and positioning. Why was Abrar picked to represent Pakistan in the T20i squad (although he got injured)? What outstanding performances does he have in T20? He is being picked because of his control in Test cricket, something which the other spinners clearly lack.

As for FZ’s T20 credentials…I ask you what are the achievements of Pakistan’s T20 current openers in comparison to Fakhar’s? Fakhar has been a part of two back to back title winning campaigns for LQ where he was also one of if not the top run scorer in the entire league. He is a natural champion as compared to the other two, who have proven to be natural bottlers. They bottle it regularly because they are actually not natural openers, and are natural con artists making it seem as if they are the best.

Pakistan are still handicapped with one player who is not going to change his playing style in order for Pakistan to excel in the right positions.

Fakhar should be there during the power play-overs when the field is up. It doesn't make sense for him to be in at 4.

My ideal is still:

Fahar
Ayub
Rizwan
Babar / Ifti

Fakhar will play his natural game regardless of whether it’s the PP or not. Rizwan and Babar won’t be as effective after the first 6 overs, they’re not going to clear the boundaries especially with 5 men back on the boundary.

Personally, I don’t mind Fakhar coming at 3-4, as long as Rizwan and Babar are not eating up the balls. He has to come in around the 8th over, Rizwan has to be striking 140+ in the PP overs or sacrifice himself.

He's number 4 because in opening Pakistan have too many options and Rizwan and Babar may do a worse job in terms of striking and than Fakhar at no. 4

Fakhar will play his natural game regardless of whether it’s the PP or not. Rizwan and Babar won’t be as effective after the first 6 overs, they’re not going to clear the boundaries especially with 5 men back on the boundary.

Personally, I don’t mind Fakhar coming at 3-4, as long as Rizwan and Babar are not eating up the balls. He has to come in around the 8th over, Rizwan has to be striking 140+ in the PP overs or sacrifice himself.
I agree. We had two anchors in shape of Rizwan and Babar opening that was one extreme but we don't need to now as a reaction go to another extreme where we have high risk players at the top.

He's number 4 because in opening Pakistan have too many options and Rizwan and Babar may do a worse job in terms of striking and than Fakhar at no. 4
So he will be dropped as usual if he doesn’t do the tough work at number 4?

Mohammad Rizwan reinforced his insistence to open for Pakistan on the back of his performances against Australia, and his hundred against Sri Lanka in the ODI World Cup. It’s the only reason why he got his way whereas Babar quietly stepped aside. So performances in other formats are indeed adding weightage in selection and positioning. Why was Abrar picked to represent Pakistan in the T20i squad (although he got injured)? What outstanding performances does he have in T20? He is being picked because of his control in Test cricket, something which the other spinners clearly lack.

As for FZ’s T20 credentials…I ask you what are the achievements of Pakistan’s T20 current openers in comparison to Fakhar’s? Fakhar has been a part of two back to back title winning campaigns for LQ where he was also one of if not the top run scorer in the entire league. He is a natural champion as compared to the other two, who have proven to be natural bottlers. They bottle it regularly because they are actually not natural openers, and are natural con artists making it seem as if they are the best.

Pakistan are still handicapped with one player who is not going to change his playing style in order for Pakistan to excel in the right positions.
Fakhar is a proven failure in this format pre or post Rizwan. And Rizwan has countless good innings at top level.
Psl performances on roads don't count.Now twist this whichever way you like

Fakhar is a proven failure in this format pre or post Rizwan. And Rizwan has countless good innings at top level.
Psl performances on roads don't count.Now twist this whichever way you like
Fakhar is a proven failure in which position post Rizwan???

Rizwan is a proven failure until he had Misbah hold his hand

Fakhar is a proven failure in which position post Rizwan???

Rizwan is a proven failure until he had Misbah hold his hand
He's been a failure at every position he's played in his career.
Rizwan's got nothing to do with it

Likes of saim haris are not fit to tie Rizwan's shoelaces at the moment. Not easy to perform consistently at top level.
Rizwan's established his name

He's been a failure at every position he's played in his career.
Rizwan's got nothing to do with it

What do you mean performances in PSL roads don’t count? They count if they support Rizwan’s claim to open but not for Fakhar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes of saim haris are not fit to tie Rizwan's shoelaces at the moment. Not easy to perform consistently at top level.
Rizwan's established his name
List those top performances,

Big matches against full strength attacks

Go on, list them.

What do you mean performances in PSL roads don’t count? They count if they support Rizwan’s claim to open but not for Fakhar?
What do u mean? Fakhars record as an opener pre rizwan was poor. And his record at other positions is poor too. I mean what has this got to do with rizwan. Fakhar is a natural T20 failure no other way to look at it

Last edited by a moderator:
What do u mean? Fakhars record as an opener pre rizwan was poor. And his record at other positions is poor too. I mean what has this got to do with rizwan. Fakhar is a natural T20 failure no other way to look at it
What was his record pre Rizwan opening? Average of 25 and a sr of 140…that’s a failure according to you?

Is it Rizwan's fault teams don't play their full strength attacks against Pak?
Saying things like ‘not easy to perform consistently at the top level’ when referring to Rizwan, whereas now you have just admitted that you have nothing to stand on with this claim too.

I doubt SR was 140. If that's true I am ready to accept m wrong
Well what was it. It definitely wasn’t 125-130 as it is now with Babar and Rizwan playing 4 years unmoved as openers

Saying things like ‘not easy to perform consistently at the top level’ when referring to Rizwan, whereas now you have just admitted that you have nothing to stand on with this claim too.
Yes it is top level. And saim haris etc will need to perform against whatever opposition they play against to be mentioned alongside rizwan

Yes it is top level. And saim haris etc will need to perform against whatever opposition they play against to be mentioned alongside rizwan
How is B string attacks top level???

What happened against Blessing Muzrabani in the T20 World Cup? Too accustomed to dominating top level B string attacks?

How is B string attacks top level???

What happened against Blessing Muzrabani in the T20 World Cup? Too accustomed to dominating top level B string attacks?
U can look at failures and I'll see him as someone who helped us win our only WC game against India. Also Asia cup game.
What has fakhar ever done against those B string attacks? Except embarrass his blind supporters

U can look at failures and I'll see him as someone who helped us win our only WC game against India. Also Asia cup game.
What has fakhar ever done against those B string attacks? Except embarrass his blind supporters
Fakhar did everything he was supposed to do whilst batting outside of his position, which is to fail. He was set up to fail, he failed and he will continue to fail so that players who can’t match his game winning intensity and levels can score their useless runs on a consistent basis

Did you not see his Innings against Australia which was full strength side.

Fakhar is right. He knows he's lucky to be in the t20s squad considering his awful return in this format.

He is not in a position to negotiate as per his past performances in T20 cricket, so its better for him to go with the flow.

Fakhar is the only player in this team who is simply capable of doing anything on his day . No player can match that , whether it’s t20 or one day. He proved this yet again in the World Cup against New Zealand.

Fakhar had SR of 135-140 when he opened . His average went down to 25, but he has not opened in this format for Pakistan since 2020. He really needs to open .

New captaincy new approach .

Fakhar is the only player in this team who is simply capable of doing anything on his day . No player can match that , whether it’s t20 or one day. He proved this yet again in the World Cup against New Zealand.

Fakhar had SR of 135-140 when he opened . His average went down to 25, but he has not opened in this format for Pakistan since 2020. He really needs to open .

New captaincy new approach .

Totally agree,
If Fakhar faces 40 balls or more Pak have a really good chance of winning a match
If Babar / Riz face 40 balls or more, Pak's chances probably diminish

Abrar selection was based on the mystery spin element he offers not test performances.

Totally agree,
If Fakhar faces 40 balls or more Pak have a really good chance of winning a match
Management don’t see this logic , with the level of impact he can have which is unmatched especially in the batting , they really need to give him another run as an opener .

Fakhar is your go-to guy here. If he can bat for 20 30 balls, things will be different. He can play at 1 down and rest Babar for 2 or 3 games and let's see how it goes. Riz, saim, fakhar. Too good a combo if it works.

Fakhar is your go-to guy here. If he can bat for 20 30 balls, things will be different. He can play at 1 down and rest Babar for 2 or 3 games and let's see how it goes. Riz, saim, fakhar. Too good a combo if it works.
The strategy should be to score 70 - 80 runs in the first 6 overs of the powerplay, 7 - 8 runs per over for 4 overs and then 10 an over for the last 10 which gives a 200 plus score.

This is the template we need to implement regardless of who plays.

I would like to see Fakhar and saim open however I think the management want a right left combo.

i.e Riz, saim, Babar, Fakhar.

Hopefully we can be flexible depending on the situation.

There will be times when Fakhar should come at 3 and other times at 4.

Babar was very rigid in his captaincy so I hope Shaheen doesn’t emulate that.

Hopefully we can be flexible depending on the situation.

There will be times when Fakhar should come at 3 and other times at 4.

Babar was very rigid in his captaincy so I hope Shaheen doesn’t emulate that.
It’s Fakhar Zaman. Not Shaheen Afridi or some show pony that you send up when it suits you.

The man commands respect and fear from the opposition. He plays in one position, and that position is opener.

The king slayer plays is who you build your team around, not clowns that can’t do half of what he is capable of.

Fakhar at #4 is daft -- my 2 cents here:

Good video but you are wrong about one thing,

Fakhar isn’t slotted at 4 because Babar is at 3…he is slotted at 4 because Rizwan is opening. This is the key mistake.

Babar at 3 is correct. That’s his correct position

Good video but you are wrong about one thing,

Fakhar isn’t slotted at 4 because Babar is at 3…he is slotted at 4 because Rizwan is opening. This is the key mistake.

Babar at 3 is correct. That’s his correct position

Honesly, my feeling is that you can't have Rizwan & Babar in the playing XI. I think you can only have 1 of them considering their slow SR. Either one can play at 3. But imo, you can't have 2 anchors slotted at 3 & 4. Will just kill the momentum completely.

Honesly, my feeling is that you can't have Rizwan & Babar in the playing XI. I think you can only have 1 of them considering their slow SR. Either one can play at 3. But imo, you can't have 2 anchors slotted at 3 & 4. Will just kill the momentum completely.
If you want Rizwan in the side, he can perfectly slot in at 6 and then asked to play his one shot every ball. He’s improved at being useful now so it’s not the worst guy to have in that position

Babar at 3 is a key player. No one else in Pakistan can play in this position better than he can

Team management has a combined iq of 5. Open with him or don’t be mad if he doesn’t perform out of position. Specialist opener over here.

It’s insane how we treat any batsman with even an iota of aggression but if he doesn’t average exactly 40 in LOI then he is considered a slogger and demoted in favor of inpactless batsmen who have that average- even if it’s never during meaningful events.

I know Umar Akmal is a meme now, but that’s yet another batsman who should’ve gotten a try at the top but had to come 5-6 batsmen after dot ball king ahmed Shehzad.

Now we are repeating it with Fakhar.

What a joke.

Rohit Sharma would’ve never been promoted to opener in Pakistan and would’ve faded away as some number 5-6 batsman. Dhoni knew. CT13 promotion changed Rohit’s career trajectory forever

Totally agree,
What if he faces 40 balls? Is this Shahid Afridi we’re discussing

You cant have strike rate of 140+ and have avrage 40+.
Fakhar‘s SR has never been good. Not even close to 140. Because he never got going straightaway and mostly threw his wicket away slow starts. Interestingly all of that is now forgotten.

Saim and Rizwan are a good choice. I would drop one of Rizwan or Babar and for now it should be Babar. England dropped Joe Root, you gotta be ruthless to win.

Saim and Rizwan are a good choice. I would drop one of Rizwan or Babar and for now it should be Babar. England dropped Joe Root, you gotta be ruthless to win.
England dont have problems such as agenda based journalists causing them headaches on social media.

It’s like the journos are running our cricket and not the board

England dont have problems such as agenda based journalists causing them headaches on social media.

It’s like the journos are running our cricket and not the board
Even without journos we are too into Izzat and seniority. Carry so many passengers based on inflated reputations. Every senior player is a matchwinner. No one has won us a big match in ages.

You seem to dislike Rizwan but out of the lot he seems like the only guy who steps up when its tough. He did fairly well this test series too when the odds were stacked agaisnt us.

Fakhar hit the roof today. Was beautiful. I still think it's a waste to him him at 4 when you are chasing almost 230.

rhJVMM4.png

Literally wasting a player because your vice captain doesn’t want to bat down . Fakhar needs powerplay and you are telling him to bat in middle overs . Talk about destroying one’s career

Fakhar hit the roof today. Was beautiful. I still think it's a waste to him him at 4 when you are chasing almost 230.

rhJVMM4.png
Player who has played all his cricket as opener . Won you CT as opener . That bengaluru impossible chase and few more and yet he is being played at 4 . Rizwan can easily play middle overs . But they are just being selfish

He was the only one who could have smashed sodhi for sixes but failed to capitalise. Just doesn't know how to play in this format

Just an excuse. How many openers do u want? U want Asif Ali to open. Then there's sharjeel Saim Fakhar. Stop it please
How is it an excuse?

Fakhar is an opener everywhere else isn’t he?

He's had his chances already as an opener. He cannot play this format. Accept it
Fin Allen had his chances as an opener, he impaled Shaheen Afridi and won the game didn’t he after returning in this position?

Fin Allen had his chances as an opener, he impaled Shaheen Afridi and won the game didn’t he after returning in this position?
They cannot be compared. U are asking for a struggler like fakhar to replace Rizwan who's our best ever. If both can play only as an opener and one needs to be dropped it's fakhar not rizwan

They cannot be compared. U are asking for a struggler like fakhar to replace Rizwan who's our best ever. If both can play only as an opener and one needs to be dropped it's fakhar not rizwan
Why it cannot be compared? Finn Allen was recently written off by NZ, but he came back and proved that he is an absolute gun. An opener plays as an opener. They have to go hard and produce these kinds of performances with this intensity. It can pay off or it doesn’t.

What happened left with nothing to say doc Saab?? I know it will take time for u to heal after rizwan test performances n Aus. Stop dreaming about his downfall he's a star
Just yesterday you were arguing performances in other formats cannot be compared, what happened now?

rhJVMM4.png
If you don't plan to play Fakhar as an opener, then you have to be flexible with the number 3 position...if Saim gets out first, send in Fakhar to keep the momentum going and if it's Riz, then Babar...that way you can have the right balance...

If you don't plan to play Fakhar as an opener, then you have to be flexible with the number 3 position...if Saim gets out first, send in Fakhar to keep the momentum going and if it's Riz, then Babar...that way you can have the right balance...

This. Fakhar should have come at 3 today.

It would have taken the pressure off Rizwan and he would not have needlessly holed out. A 70-80 run score from Rizzy today could have won the game.

Pakistan need one of Babar and Rizwan to go big to win a game, this is a fact. But there is no need for them to bat together to achieve this.

Agree with this.

I think the management need to be abit more flexible in the batting line up.

Absolutely goof it is to make him bat at 4, his strength is lusty blows in the PP and not to come out in the 7th over to manoeuvre the field

Back