The Basant festival thread

Islamabadi

Local Club Captain
Runs
completely destroyed kite and string industry along with all those tourists that went to lahore and other cities and gave this valentine's western bakwas instead of our own tradition... bring basant back now... Mods feel free to make a poll for this thread

The reason was public safety, many people died every year on basant. But I think basant should not be banned, people should be more careful

Basant is a great event.. but I agree with the ban... A family member of mine almost lost his life as he was riding his motorcycle and a loose kite string cut his neck...

I'm not saying if u agree with the ban or not... my question is ban on basant responsible for so much attention given to valentine's day

Ban on 'Basant' is justified in my honest opinion.

basant seems more violent than valentines day!

however if basant was SAFER then it wouldnt be an issue.. the left over razor sharp dorri used, is a bad thing.

end of the day valentines day is about love, and even friendship so....

basant isnt islamic? isnt it more indian tradition? therefore

western influence V's Indian influence... no difference really

Both these events are useless, have been adopted from other cultures, and a waste of time & money.

No the Valentine bakwas is because the average Pakistani just doesn't get it - that we have our days of celebration and that we should be proud enough and secure enough to celebrate those and not have to adopt everything that the West offers. It's also because the average Pakistani doesn't want to adopt anything from the West that will make the country work better, i.e., paying taxes, following the simple laws of the traffic, but instead want to follow what will move them furthest away from their own culture.

No the ban on basant isn't responsible. Are people starting to take part in Halloween as well now in Pakistan? What's the cause of that?

USA is the cause.

however Basant is an indian tradition, not islamic!

McBoom said:
Both these events are useless, have been adopted from other cultures, and a waste of time & money.

Completely agree.

SameerM said:
USA is the cause.

however Basant is an indian tradition, not islamic!

usa is not the cause. the cause is that we do not self respecting individuals. we have no confidence in our own culture, in our selves, hence we have to adopt other cultures.

y do u think the americans , as in the non muslims do not celebrate eid? it is because they have the clearest idea of who they are and what their identity.

we, pakistanis do not realise that we have our own identity, and we go on and look for other identities to blend into.

hain? Ban on basant has nothign to do with V-day's popularity. That's just our burger families getting more and more influenced by stupid rituals

Basant is basically for Lahore and surrounding area. It won't explain Islamabad, Karachi or Nadia Khan show in Dubai

There is no cause and affect relationship between the basant ban and the celebration of valentines day in Pakistan. It was being celebrated even before the ban.

Valentine day has become so popular in Pakistan purely because of the media boom in the last decade. The TV channels project it, and have special programming for it as is the case of Eid, and national Events.

However, commenting on basant, I disagree with the ban. There should be stricter regulation and enforcement to protect people rather than banning the event all together.

No difference between Valentine's Day and Basant, both are equally repulsive...one is western paganism and other is the local variety of the same...

Valentine's day is great as a way to express your love for your "Significant" other. Although Valentine's day is always taken out of context in Pakistan by the younger ones and therefore is pointless. I feel a "watered" down version of valentine's day is what Pakistan needs. It's a great way to show your love and affection but it's also not a day where you start giving flower to random girls on the street. That's not right and is quite upsetting.

Basant is not the cause of the emergence of valentine's day because this was celebrated before when Basant was there as well. The thing is perhaps it seems more prominent on the news since Basant isn't there to be reported.

I think a ban on Valentines Day is not needed at the moment. The fact that is a total different case than to what 'Basant' is, since latter of the two is or can be dangerous or harmful to people and their lives.

Punjab govt decides against Basant celebrations

LAHORE: After some back and forth over the issue, the Punjab government has decided not to allow the celebration of Basant this year, acknowledging that it is not fully prepared to make the event a safe activity in terms of the threat to human life and the damage to civic infrastructure that have occurred in the past.

The government plans to develop well-thought-out legislation to check violations that may cause a threat to lives and property both, so that the event can be marked safely.

Take a look: Basant means happiness and all it takes are a few precautions

The provincial government was on Thursday (today) supposed to submit its reply to the Lahore High Court on a petition challenging its decision on whether to allow the celebration of the spring festival.

The Punjab government announced last month that it had decided in principle to revive the historic cultural festival of Basant after a hiatus of about 10 years. The celebration was banned by the previous PML-N government after many deaths were caused by glass-coated kite string.

The announcement was made by Punjab Information Minister Fayyazul Hassan Chohan, who also informed the media that an eight-member committee was being formed to suggest ways and means to deal with the fallout of the cultural event.

The committee, headed by senior minister Aleem Khan and including the provincial law minister, administrative secretaries as well as the commissioner and deputy commissioner, was thrashing out details to allow the observance of Basant in February. But the provincial government later took the stance that no decision had yet been taken, pending the committee’s recommendations; this was conveyed to the LHC by the government law officer.

On Wednesday, the senior minister chaired a committee meeting and decided that much had to be achieved in terms of law enforcement before Basant celebrations could be allowed.

In the wake of safety concerns for the general public, the senior minister said that the government needed to equip itself to dealing with the holding of the event in a peaceful and safe environment, so that there was no threat to the public, or civic issues such as the disruption of or damage to the power supply infrastructure.

He directed that all relevant departments, as well as the district administration, should prepare themselves to hold the cultural event next year. In the meanwhile, the committee decided, the government would register all the manufacturers of twine and/or kite string to ensure that every roll carries upon it labels identifying the manufacturer and their details.

The committee also agreed that the Punjab Assembly should legislate on the subject and enhance the punishments and fines for violations of the guidelines that have in the past caused threat to human lives and property.

“At least four to six months are required for proper preparations to hold Basant in a peaceful and safe environment,” senior minister Aleem Khan said.

“If the departments concerned and the district administration do their work properly, such activities can be held for the promotion of a soft image of Pakistan, besides boosting business activities in the country,” he added.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1459470/punjab-govt-decides-against-basant-celebrations

? What does Pakistanis do that makes this festival dangerous.

Side note: Everytime.i read old threads of PP I realize current set of Pak posters are much more humble and welcoming to Indians and our culture thanones before.

Patang / Gudi Baazi

Had a quick search and was surprised not to find a thread but... do we have any kite flying fans on PP?

I'm based in London but since as far back as I can remember I have been fascinated with 'gudia' owing to my visits to Pakistan. In 1998-99 I lived with my Phupi and studied in Lahore for a year which I largely wasted exploring the pastime, improving my technique and deepening my general love for the kite-flying culture.

During this jaunt I also experienced my first proper Basant (aged 14) which was the literal climax for me - it was an amazing occasion.

In the years since (in Pak), the ban has come in to force and the observable culture is dying out; I'm in no doubt that it still takes place via clandestine means but having seen the clampdown in my in-laws mohalla know that it's not worth the risk.

I'm 37 now and still reminisce and romance over the kite-flying days of my youth so keep a small collection of kites for a pleasant day here in the UK. It isn't the same, of course, but, well, yeah, it keeps the hankering at bay and the passion alive.

So... I ask again, anyone passionate about the pastome on PP? Anyone still flying? Anyone have fond memories?

I look forward to reading your accounts :D

When Im on my laptop, I'll post some pics of my small collection as my phone isn't displaying the shots properly! ��

Last edited:
I've done it on my trips to Pakistan, they take it really seriously in Lahore - apparently a lot of people put small pieces of glass and lace their kite strings with chemicals to cut the other kite strings. It was crazy, I almost got decapitated once on a visit to Lahore when I was like 10 lol.

Bhai kya yaad kara dia hai!!

Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to experience Basant in Pakistan but have been enjoying Basant in UAE for the last 15 Years. Had a blast last year pre-covid with back-to-back Basant weekends in Al-Ain.

The calendar has one in Sharjah and a couple of them in Al Ain every year but this time around we aren't hoping for one.

Usually, it is celebrated with a night game on Thursday and then the full day on Friday, organizers book open grounds with all facilities and parking spaces to enjoy the festival.

We visit and enjoy the weekend with our families and look forward to this particular weekend all year long.

Attaching some snaps from last year.

1b53bf80-20c6-4f41-9339-37374c0b418c.jpg2e272969-9b16-4552-8346-67e9566fccc6.jpg4a2b72fa-eaff-4da4-a711-f8d60806b448.jpg4bae1f46-72f9-417c-9ad4-e5ea96f3dcb0.jpg8e54e58c-f640-4e64-be17-e65b72ff55b9.jpg35dad1c7-a19c-4988-804d-f0510c69a94a.jpg40e83846-6809-4f71-9fb1-5c5abd4078ff.jpg75e64aaf-918a-4028-aa7c-d42bfe264024.jpg

Aaahh so there was a thread - apologies, mods! :D

Bhai kya yaad kara dia hai!!

Unfortunately, didn't get a chance to experience Basant in Pakistan but have been enjoying Basant in UAE for the last 15 Years. Had a blast last year pre-covid with back-to-back Basant weekends in Al-Ain.

The calendar has one in Sharjah and a couple of them in Al Ain every year but this time around we aren't hoping for one.

Usually, it is celebrated with a night game on Thursday and then the full day on Friday, organizers book open grounds with all facilities and parking spaces to enjoy the festival.

We visit and enjoy the weekend with our families and look forward to this particular weekend all year long.

Attaching some snaps from last year.

View attachment 108548View attachment 108549View attachment 108550View attachment 108551View attachment 108552View attachment 108553View attachment 108554View attachment 108555

Yaar, what a post - at least you still get an opportunity to regularly celebrate with other fans. Looks like an amazing event.

Are gudia readily available in the UAE?

It is very expensive (if you can find availability) to buy traditional paper kites in the UK. I am using Lucknow (Nakhlao) Kut gudia but they are made of a material called mylar, making them incredibly durable and thus reusable. There is also a nylon style Nakhlao Kut that I own but it doesn't handle with the same characteristics of a paper guda.

I'll post pics soon.

I've done it on my trips to Pakistan, they take it really seriously in Lahore - apparently a lot of people put small pieces of glass and lace their kite strings with chemicals to cut the other kite strings. It was crazy, I almost got decapitated once on a visit to Lahore when I was like 10 lol.

I know this well. Its been done for ages on the kite strings. Manja we call it.
I had purchased for my son few year back and it cut his hand bad. He hasn't flown a kite since then.

Was big fan of kite flying and remember the phases such as 'haath mar giya' or 'paychaa laga' :djb

In the 90s and early 2000s basant was easily the biggest festival in Lahore.
In the walled city and older lahore it was massive.
There was a whole kiteflying season leading up to Basant night and day. Massive parties and get togethers.
Everyone was an expert on strings

8 chain
7 panda
22 deer

Basant was actually more popular than eid in Lahore with concerts,bar b ques and actual patang baazi. Complete failure how it was managed and eventually stopped.

Complete failure how it was managed and eventually stopped.

There was no choice but to cancel it given the number of people that were dying needlessly each year.

One can't regulate such an event unless they only nominate open spaces in suburbs outside the city where there is no danger of folks falling off roofs or getting guillotined by metallic wire.

Traders in Lahore have urged authorities to revive Basant, the annual kite flying festival celebrated with the advent of spring.

Before the 2007 ban on kite-flying in the province of Punjab, the walled city of Lahore was known for the festival, due in early February.

People from all walks of life made special arrangements on rooftops and donned yellow – the ultimate symbol of spring. The celebrations included kites flying from dawn to dusk while enjoying loud music and food.

The festival gained more traction over the years, attracting people from all over the world.

But in the pursuit of victory, some kite flyers started using powdered glass or metal on their kite strings, giving themselves a competitive edge.

Once cut, these strings would fall on motorcyclists, residents, or others in the vicinity, slashing their throats.

The deaths caused hue and cry, and the administration banned kite flying altogether. Vendors were also prohibited from selling and manufacturing kites and related paraphernalia. However, sources say, the ban is strictly implemented in Lahore only.

Traders have urged the government to abolish the ban and penalise those who use and manufacture the lethal string.

"We earned a considerable amount of money during a boom in this industry until 2005," said Muhammad Afzal, a second-generation kite maker who now sells party decorations. "After the ban, we had to look for alternative means of income," he told Anadolu Agency.

Traders' representative Agha Abbas Kazmi said that while he has sympathy for the victims, banning the festival entirely, which also contributed to the tourism economy, was not the right decision.

"We are ready to strict action and punishment if someone violates the rules," Kazmi said, urging for fresh plans to regularize the business and revive the festival.

Khwaja Nadeem Saeed, the president of the Pakistan Kite Flying Association, said before the ban 600,000 families were engaged in the business, with women accounting for 60% of those involved.

Naveed Shehansha, a veteran kite-maker in Mochi Gate of the walled city, once the epicenter of buying and selling kites and related materials, also lamented the government's decision.

“There were incidents in India as well, but Pakistan took a very drastic action,” he said. “Now foreigners, who came to Lahore, are visiting India to celebrate the festival."

Both the government and the people are at a loss, he said, adding that they began exporting kites, but it is not as lucrative as in the past.

The provincial government said it may organise a day-long event outside the city, but reviving the festival is not on the cards – for now.

“Human lives are more important to us,” spokesperson Hassan Khawar told Anadolu Agency. “But another option is under consideration: Basant festival at Hiran Minar (a landmark near Lahore)... things, however, have not been finalised yet.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2338702/colourless-skies-as-ban-on-basant-continues

Back