The curious case of Vinod Kambli

srh

Senior T20I Player
Runs
One time I was reading cricket comments on TOI and one comment by an Indian caught my eye:

He said that Kambli was more talented than Tendulkar but BCCI did not support him as much as they supported Tendulkar because of the following 2 reasons:
1) Kambli was dark-skinned; Tendulkar was not.
2) Kambli was from a lower caste; Tendulkar was from a higher caste.
He said that majority of Indians will always support a fair-skinned more than a dark-skinned; same with the caste.

these comments were in back of my mind but I dont know much about Kambli. Now today I read Blitz's Greaterst Batsmen Ever thread and Kambli's name is there at No. 3 in the best average at 10 matches (93.7)
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=136570

So Kambli was very very good when he started his career. So is it true what the Indian poster said: Kambli was more talented than Tendulkar? and are the reasons true that he did not get much support from the Indians? penalized for the things (skin and caste) of which he dont have any control over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kambli was mighty talented, but very controversial.

He can cry foul, but he brought his own downfall. The characters of the two men (Tendulkar and Kambli) can't be compared. Tendulkar was and is a down to earth person, Kambli never was and this irked the selectors and his teammates.

It's true though, he was rated over Tendulkar at the beginning of their careers, when Tendulkar was 16 and he was 17.

However, Kambli never put in the hard work. He was always after the glamour and the rest is history.

Basically, both of these were the "talents" when they were found in a 600 domestic partnership.
Kambli was the superior talent but he got wasted.

Dude we have ugliest person on this planet at ICC, Sharad Pawar.

Christians, Dalits, Sikhs, Muslims all minorities have played for India.

Sachin and Kambli were classmate's, both belonged to middle class families.

Majority of South Indians are dark skinned, they have best infrastructure, quality education (Kerela has 99% literacy rate), economic hub. They are very proud people.

Last edited:
Yes, but in the same way, Shoiab was more talented then most bowlers, ever....

The mind is just as important as talent. And in my opinion, Sachin probably is a gazillion times better in that category. To play 180 test matches, shows it.

Last edited:
Sikh families killed by Indra Gandhi will attest to that!

Indira didn't killed Sikhs, Bhindrawale was her creation to frustrate Akalis, all sub-continents politicians indulge in this vote bank politics. Congress goons were responsible for atrocities, Politicial party not Hindu religion.

Indira didn't killed Sikhs, Bhindrawale was her creation to frustrate Akalis, all sub-continents politicians indulge in this vote bank politics. Congress goons were responsible for atrocities, Politicial party not Hindu religion.

Good conspiracy theory :zaidhamid.

I dont understand it. Why Kambli was dropped from tests? He played 17 test matches, 21 innings. These are his cumulative averages:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative

so he was still averaging over 50 when he was dropped never to play again. Unbelievable.

Poor work ethic.

He wouldn't put in the work. Plus, as you can see he has a continuous dip in his average.

I think he got found out against the short ball, as well.

There is no doubt though that if he had a better attitude, the selectors would have kept him in. However, he was struggling yet acting like a dweeb and they sent him packing.

Tough, but fair.

He would have been something special if he had worked hard. Can't believe someone with that much talent would toss it away.

We are not Pakistanis who fight on skin color, elasticities, language.

Indira didn't killed Sikhs, Bhindrawale was her (so "we" do not include Indra?) creation to frustrate Akalis ( I am sorry if Akalis don't include "we"), all sub-continents politicians indulge in this vote bank politics. Congress (...and I should have known that no "we" were ever elected into congress) goons were responsible for atrocities, Political party (of course .... "we" are not party of any political parties either!) not Hindu religion (....ah ha.... "we" are hindu religion only..... nothing else!!! ).

Sorry... I take my comment back!

Last edited:
I dont understand it. Why Kambli was dropped from tests? He played 17 test matches, 21 innings. These are his cumulative averages:
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative

so he was still averaging over 50 when he was dropped never to play again. Unbelievable.

kambli played his last test in 1995..
but he played in ODIs till 2000.

he was given more than enough chances in ODIs but he failed to cement his place..

kambli played his last test in 1995..
but he played in ODIs till 2000.

he was given more than enough chances in ODIs but he failed to cement his place..
my question is why he was not given any more chance in test. Surely he needs to play more tests with that average.

Indira didn't killed Sikhs, Bhindrawale was her (so "we" do not include Indra?) creation to frustrate Akalis ( I am sorry if Akalis don't include "we"), all sub-continents politicians indulge in this vote bank politics. Congress (...and I should have known that no "we" were ever elected into congress) goons were responsible for atrocities, Political party (of course .... "we" are not party of any political parties either!) not Hindu religion (....ah ha.... "we" are hindu religion only..... nothing else!!! ).

Sorry... I take my comment back!

Me too, you asked so many questions, Your post is Baingan Bartha (Mashed Eggplant curry).

baingan_bartha.jpg

In Punjabi - Nikki jihi gall da gooh'n kadd ditta tusi.

my question is why he was not given any more chance in test. Surely he needs to play more tests with that average.

yeah.. they should have given chances in tests instead of playing him in ODIs
similar thing happened with Ganguly, they dropped him in ODIs but he played in tests,
its common sense that he was a good ODI player, our board should have dropped him tests and not in ODIs :facepalm:

Nope he was not. This question seems to pop up quite a bit but Kambli was talented but not more than Tendulkar. Kambli did not make his debut at the age of 16.

He deserved more chances but the guys who replaced him in the next series were named Ganguly and Dravid.

:))

They stole the spot from him through hard work.

The prime quality expected in a cricketer playing for an international team is self-motivation. Cricket was well into its Glitz-ridden era when kambli padded up for India, so he should have known this basic necessity which should stem at the roots of a cricketer. Sadly, kambli didn’t grasp this basic fact which is evident from his career graph. On comparing the kind of starts that Sachin and Kambli had to their respective careers, it becomes quite palpable as to who got a head-start. With 2 consecutive double hundreds under his belt Kambli should have more or less cemented his place in the Indian side for a long, long time. Ganguly’s career can be taken up as a parallel comparison. He got 2 consecutive centuries and completed a successful albeit controversy ridden tenure of more than a decade in international cricket. The main reason for this…self-motivation. What Kambli did have which made up for his lack of self-motivation was talent, in abundance. People used to compare him to Brian lara, in fact he was referred to as the Indian Lara. But talent alone will take you only to the doorstep of success. It is motivation that sustains you there. Kambli’s act of shedding tears in public after the dramatic semi final loss in the ’96 world cup against sri lanka showed that he was a man who wore his heart on his sleeve…another undesirable quality for a cricketer.

Despite kambli’s abysmal decline of form and stature, Sachin made sure that he was given one last opportunity. When Sachin became the captain it was he who stood behind kambli and backed him. This, I feel, is the only move that comes anyway close to unethical in Sachin’s glorious career. But again, Captains with preferences are not uncommon even from olden days. Kambli didn’t show even the slightest amount of fire in his belly during his supposed “resurrection.”

As far as the stats question is concerned, cricket is not played on paper, its played on pitches. His flash to gully, slowly turned into a matter-of-time inevitability. If my memory serves me right, his last 7 or 8 test innings and last few ODI innings, ended exactly like that.

May be against spin, but not overall, not even close. Had he played longer, would have been exposed against quality pace attack. Moreover, SRT is a perfectionist, every innings for him was a new lesson & he was enlighten than before. He took 78 innings to make his first of 48.

I was fortunate to watch VK live from stand in '89 in Asian U19, where he played 3 good innings but can't remember reaching 50, but he was awesome. He gave SKW a good lesson & I can't remember him being troubled ever by any spinner, on any surface. But he was never close to SRT.

I am not sure about the cast, because there are Muslims, Sikhs & Christians playing for India. But VK didn't help his course through lifestyle, commitment or hard-work. I don't even want to mention such a shallow person along with SRT, who would try a career as a Bollywood clown instead of regaining Indian Test spot, at the age of 25 & fail there too.

Those numbers for Kambli dont tell you the entire story. After his back to back double centuries followed by two more 100s in Sri Lanka (all in his first year in international cricket), Kambli was found out on his first away tour to NZ first and then the WI quicks made him the modern day Raina in the 3 tests series in India. Was woefully inept against short pitched bowling.

He could never recover post that WI series as a test batsman. Continued to do well in the ODIs, had a decent 1996 WC. But was dropped for the 1996 England tour (for disciplinary reasons) and replaced by Ganguly. Rest is history.

Sachin was more successful during the junior cricket years for both of them and hence made his first class debut before Kambli.

Regarding the support, two giants of Indian cricket, Gavaskar and Vengsakar, both were equally supportive of fellow Mumbaikars. In fact Vengsarkar was among those who had opposed Kbmli's axing from the 1996 England tour.

Well their coach said the same thing once..........but Kambli was Lazy..........when he got into trouble againist the short ball..........he didnt try to work on it.........he wasnt a hack againist it.....just a lesser player of it than SRT.......he was controversial etc etc etc.......

May be if he would have worked a bit harder........Would have avgd 45+ and scored a lot more runs than he did....

i remember he used to be a very good attacking player... and was a greater threat to bowling teams than tendulkar, jadeja, and sidhu in those days! but then he was replaced by the likes of robin singh :))

Kambli got more chances than many other. Those who have followed his career wouldn't cry foul. He wasn't better than Tedulkar but had got some talent. As Wasim said in his interview, pure talent will only help you to stay for 2-3 years, the rest is hard work. Exactly that happened to Kambli. No hard work to overcome the weakness, too much drinking, family problem etc. contributed to his downfall. Tendulkar tried to revive his career when he became the captain, but couldn't succeed.

After getting their chances

Tendulkar evolved himself and took cricket very seriously.

On the other hand, kambli kept cricket at the back bench and concentrated on glamour and other things. Different hair styles, ear rings, loads of chains which highlighted Kambli than his performance.

He kept on playing idiotic shots and getting out again and again. If he were during last 10 years of Indian cricket, he wouldn't have got that many chances what he got in 90s.

i wonder where he will be hding now after this post. And add Kashmiris to the list too,

and why should he be replying to Pakistanis in matter that are not their concern?

Anyways if you are replying to these topics

May be you will tell me about the killings of Bangladeshis and Shias and also Baluchistan..........

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6VxrCN-jgis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6VxrCN-jgis" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6kfgkPKNC9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oh dear, has anyone else noticed? Sachinistas dare not compare statistics between Kambli and SRT. They are indeed attempting to define greatness in the absence of stats by comparing how hot Kambli's wife is, effort, and respect of the game.

So sad but true.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a 'high caste' & a 'low caste'?

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a 'high caste' & a 'low caste'?

Sadly in this case, the colour of one's skin. It's hard to believe such backward thinking is prevalent in India today.

What a tragedy Kambli has been to Indian cricket, he was abandoned by BCCI at a tender age in his career... If they groomed him well, **** imagine having SRT on one end and another left handed bat nearly as good as Lara on the other end... I guesss some things are just too good to be true...

Once i think he had 4 test hundreds from 5 innings. Two of them double hundreds :D

Wow Just Wow .
Was always a great sight to watch the Two Mumbai Lads Sachin & Kambli playing together .

Kambli was at his best during the early 90s and the last memory that I have about him is of the 1996 World Cup Semis , Kambli was crying as he was left stranded with match being called off due to crowd protest .

India should have won that World Cup with ease if not for the Great slide after Sachin departed.

Certainly after the ultimate high of beating Pakistan in that unforgettable QF :(

Mager us tournament main jaisa Sachin ka bolbala tha aur jaisey woh khelta tha waise Sachin fir kabhi dekhne nahi milega . Sachin was at his Ultimate peak in that tournament , thrashing bowlers all over . Century against Australia was another fine knock but as usual his phattu team-mates let him down there as well . In the Semis , the journey from 0 to 98 runs with Sachin at the crease was pure pleasure with everyone already getting tuned into the celebration mode but the fixers Azhar , Prabhakar & Jadeja had other plans .

Naa yaar, 2011 wc mey England and RSA key against he was in supreme touch :heart:

Sadly in this case, the colour of one's skin. It's hard to believe such backward thinking is prevalent in India today.
I think colour of a person's skin does not decide if he is higher or lower caste person in India. I think its about the race and the category a person belong to. So its possible that a fair-skinned person is from a low caste and a dark-skinned person is from a high caste.

1) Kambli Was more talented than Sachin. No doubt about that.
2) He was never discriminated on the basis of color/caste. Thats rubbish.
3) He himself stopped playing. Maybe the tiff with selectors and his attitude was the reason.
After getting the dose of sanity, he tried some comebacks but cudnt get the spark going again.

Mager us tournament main jaisa Sachin ka bolbala tha aur jaisey woh khelta tha waise Sachin fir kabhi dekhne nahi milega . Sachin was at his Ultimate peak in that tournament , thrashing bowlers all over . Century against Australia was another fine knock but as usual his phattu team-mates let him down there as well . In the Semis , the journey from 0 to 98 runs with Sachin at the crease was pure pleasure with everyone already getting tuned into the celebration mode but the fixers Azhar , Prabhakar & Jadeja had other plans .

Rajan is educating himself on the history of Indian Cricket.

Good boy.

Deserves a gold star.

From what i used to read in the papers those days, dude did not have the right attitude/discipline. Caste/Color/religion has no bearing whatsoever in his case. Sheer waste of talent, that's all

Kambli was mighty talented, but very controversial.

He can cry foul, but he brought his own downfall. The characters of the two men (Tendulkar and Kambli) can't be compared. Tendulkar was and is a down to earth person, Kambli never was and this irked the selectors and his teammates.

It's true though, he was rated over Tendulkar at the beginning of their careers, when Tendulkar was 16 and he was 17.

However, Kambli never put in the hard work. He was always after the glamour and the rest is history.

It's one thing if all the bling and partying had led to him performing badly - then he would have deserved the boot.

But he was still averaging 54 when he was dropped forever - at the age of 23!! If he'd been given the chances to overcome his lean trot and technical problems against fast bowling that the likes of Raina, Yuvraj and even Laxman got, we might be talking about him as one of the Indian greats today.

A quote by Kambli:
" I was dropped after playing only 17 Tests. Why? And I played over 100 one-dayers. Why did I get recalled so many times in the one-day team if I was not good enough?"

From what i used to read in the papers those days, dude did not have the right attitude/discipline. Caste/Color/religion has no bearing whatsoever in his case. Sheer waste of talent, that's all

Yes, I've heard all those vague accounts too. But I have sympathy for the man unless there's evidence otherwise.
If his attitude/indiscipline was really the reason behind him being dropped, there should have been a public hearing, a ban and an open dealing of it.

Also, it's one thing to dislike Kambil's off-field lifestyle - but isn't it his business what he does off the field? I never heard accounts of him missing practice, showing up late, drunk, unfit or anything resembling what Botham, Symonds and Flintoff got upto .Kambli got served a hard hand in an era where being a partier/living lavishly was considered "inappropriate.

Last edited:
Kambli would have hit 15 flat track double hundreds by now :yk

And why was he crying after the world cup semi final loss if he really wasn't serious about his Cricket and the glamour meant more to him?

He always had the passion for Cricket.

Kambli can cry foul about caste discrimination and anything. But what he forget that he indeed got chances after chances to represent India, while many other equally talented from every caste and religion who never had a single chance in the international scene. Anyone remember Abhijit Kale? he was too a fierce competitor to both these guys (Kambli and Sachin) and the poor soul now bear a disgraceful picture in cricket.

Having said that it does not mean there was no caste discrimination at all in selection. It was apparent during the zonal representation time. One example, as i mentioned in another thread, is the selection of Sathagopan Ramesh over S. Sharath. Lobbying was easy when there were zonal representatives in selection committee.

Brain yaar Raina ke paas bohot hai? Ussey bhi drop krdo fir :/

Form slump or whatever, you cannot drop a dude averaging 53 in tests. He only had one bad series against West Indies. Even great Jimmy Amarnath had a horrible series against them at home when he got out on duck 5 times i think. The same Jimmy Amarnath who went to West Indies and kicked all their great fast bowler's :butt

Last edited:
Brain yaar Raina ke paas bohot hai? Ussey bhi drop krdo fir :/

Form slump or whatever, you cannot drop a dude averaging 53 in tests. He only had one bad series against West Indies.
Unfortunately for him Dravid and Ganguly cemented their place in the first series itself, that is the reason he didn't get chance again. The middle order, fab 3 (Laxman added later!) + Azhar + Manjrekar was way ahead of him in tests. Had Dravid or Ganguly was very inconsistent, Kambli could have sneaked through at least in home matches.

@f_c
I heard a cricket commentator once mentioning about VK on air that something got into his head.. stopped playing and then.. (basically how he threw away a successful career)

When he missed out on surpassing Gavaskar's feat a second time (i think the second time when he had scored the double century) he didnt came out to field for the day.. or for few overs. I rem that distinctly.
So yes, he def had some issues which he could have ironed out.

Now if a player makes himself unavailable (as per the comments) or keeps sulking.. i dont think the jokers in the selection committee can/gonna pick him up.

Edit
And raina is a brilliant fielder and can roll his arm over to boot. So does enhances his utility more.

Last edited:
nice article :

a piece from it: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/co...mbli-the-rising-star-who-ran-himself-out.html

Within a month, Tendulkar was making his Test debut against Pakistan, a rough baptism that saw him struck on the head. Kambli had to wait another three years to join him in the Test team, a gap that caused him to later quip that "while Sachin had taken the elevator, he'd taken the stairs." It seemed a neat soundbite, though some saw it as a coded barb over the way caste dictates opportunity in India - Tendulkar coming from lofty stock, Kambli from lower-middle.

Yea right.
Now a foreign newspaper gonna decode the so called veilded msgs..?

I saw that interview. And he was purely talking about talent.
He speaks with a funny hindi accent.. maybe cuz he is Marathi heavy and he spoke this line with a different mannerism than what i was expecting but this is a surety that he was speaking about talent.
A thing he said was "Wo jahan pahuncha hai, main bhi pahunchunga... " and then i think this elevator and stair thing came up or earlier than the quoted statement above.

Give the Papers of the west a dead horse to beat about, something to be kept amused with and then they ll keep doing it.

The real story of Vinod Kambli...
Published: Tuesday, Jan 25, 2011, 0:08 IST
By DNA Correspondent | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

Is Vinod Kambli a success or a failure? A great talent that self-destructed or a victim of conspiracies to keep him out of the Indian team? A man of spontaneity who always wears his heart on his sleeve and even cries on a cricket field after being denied a chance to win a World Cup semifinal for his team, or a recklessly flamboyant character who will do anything, even a reality TV show that may endanger his relationship with his closest friend, to be in the limelight?

An alcoholic who lost his way after a brilliant start to his international cricket career or a rare sportsman the Indian cricket authorities made no effort to counsel and support in the same way as the Australian cricket board counselled and backed a certain Ricky Ponting? All flash and dazzle or a man of immense substance who was simply too complex for people to place in convenient black and white categories? Kambli has been a puzzle all through his cricketing career and afterwards, a controversial one at that.

DNA assistant news editor Kunal Purandare’s book Vinod Kambli: The Lost Hero, published by Har-Anand Publications, makes sense of this puzzle and throws light on the other half of the famous Sachin Tendulkar-Vinod Kambli partnership.
Former India captain Dilip Vengsarkar will release Vinod Kambli: The Lost Hero at the CK Nayadu Hall at CCI on January 27 at 7pm. Former India skipper and coach Ajit Wadekar will be among those present on the occasion.

Excerpts
Sachin Tendulkar and Vinod Kambli made their Kanga League debuts together. Kambli’s initiation into senior club cricket was a bizarre incident. Ganpat Kambli took his son, who was barely five feet tall, to a secretary of a club and requested him to play his son.

The secretary took one look at Kambli and said, “The fast bowlers will kill him. I don’t want to take the risk of playing a kid in our side.” Kambli’s father, who had known the secretary for many years, tried to persuade him for close to three hours, but was unsuccessful.

The next Sunday, Kambli went to Shivaji Park to watch Sachin play his first Kanga League fixture for the ‘F’ division John Bright Club. The club was a player short and asked Kambli to play for them. Kambli, who was always geared up for a challenge, scored a scintillating 80 against the same club that had refused to play him a week before. Sachin scored five in the same game.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_the-real-story-of-vinod-kambli_1498799

Kambli announces retirement from first class cricket cricket.

THSHK_PTI9_23_2011__790037e.jpg

Former India batsman Vinod Kambli today announced his retirement from first class cricket, bringing to an end a long career that started way back in 1989.

“I wanted to play alongside Sachin (Tendulkar) for one last time, wanted to play in IPL but unfortunately that did not happen,” the 39-year-old left-hander told reporters as tears rolled down his face.

“I had informed about my decision to retire to Sachin, my coaches and family members. They all wished me well. I have Sachin’s blessings,” said the flamboyant cricketer, who shared a world record partnership of 664 runs with Tendulkar in school cricket in the 80s.

Kambli, who played his last Test when he was 24, rued that despite starting his career in Test cricket with a bang, it did not turn out to be a long one.

“I performed well in Test cricket but unfortunately I didn’t have a long career. I was the fastest to score 1,000 runs (in Tests for India). I thank the BCCI, Mumbai cricket for whatever they have given me,” Kambli maintained.

“Till the last year, I was raring to go (in domestic cricket). I served Mumbai (cricket) for long, but the selectors ignored me. I’m disappointed,” he said.

Kambi made his Test debut against England in 1993 two years after playing in his first ODI against Pakistan.

His last Test was against New Zealand in 1995 while the match against Sri Lanka at Sharjah in 2000 turned out to be his last ODI.

Kambli, who whacked the first ball he faced in first- class cricket for a six, said he wished to take up coaching and produce good cricketers.

Representing India, Mumbai, and South Africa’s Boland, he scored 9,964 runs, including 35 centuries, from 129 first- class matches at an average of 59.67.

In 17 Tests for India, he scored 1,084 runs at a phenomenal average of 54.20 with the help of four centuries.

Of the four centuries, three were scored in successive innings and two of them were double tons, with his highest being 224 against England in Mumbai in 1993.

Kambli also scored 2,477 runs in 104 ODIs, including two centuries, with the highest being 106.

Kambli, who had unsuccessfully contested the 2009 Maharashtra Assembly elections and also dabbled in acting in between, had announced his retirement from international cricket in August 2009.

Source

]“I wanted to play alongside Sachin (Tendulkar) for one last time, wanted to play in IPL but unfortunately that did not happen,” the 39-year-old left-hander told reporters as tears rolled down his face.[/

Whats with these Indian cricketers crying like little girls? Kapil dev, Sreesanth and now Kambli

wish the best of luck to him.

I really do think India missed a trick with him. Yes he was average in ODIs, but had a good record in tests and shouldn't have been given a longer run, and another chance at tests.

I think asian countries in general seem to want cricketers to perform in the shorter version of the game before including them in tests. See this with guys like Rohit Sharma (who doesn't even have a good list A record, and hasn't had a test debut), and Taufeeq Umar, a guy dropped and recalled after a very long time partly due to his poor ODI record.

What was he doing still hanging around? Thought he was long gone.

Time to move on buddy.

Thought he retired long ago. I'm pretty sure I seen him in one of many Bollywood movies.

What was he doing still hanging around? Thought he was long gone.

Time to move on buddy.

He was. Just announcing this for a bit of attention. He hasn't played a first class game since 2005 and. List A one since 2004.

wish the best of luck to him.

I really do think India missed a trick with him. Yes he was average in ODIs, but had a good record in tests and shouldn't have been given a longer run, and another chance at tests.

I think asian countries in general seem to want cricketers to perform in the shorter version of the game before including them in tests. See this with guys like Rohit Sharma (who doesn't even have a good list A record, and hasn't had a test debut), and Taufeeq Umar, a guy dropped and recalled after a very long time partly due to his poor ODI record.

Add Fawad Alam, a man dropped from tests for his poor form in ODIs :). Would have been nice to see Kambli get a longer run in tests, but that's life.

Last edited:
Add Fawad Alam, a man dropped from tests for his poor form in ODIs :). Would have been nice to see Kambli get a longer run in tests, but that's life.
To be honest I didn't add fawad as he was actually decent in ODIs. He was dropped from the test side purely because selectors didn't think he had potential (despite scoring a century as an opener in his first game, and then only give two more tests). He was then dropped from the ODI team more due to his T20 performances.

These were his figures in his last 4 tests, and the reason wasn't he was not talented but that he didn't work hard.

He wasn't dropped for poor form, selectors gave him enough chance to get disciplined but he had other ideas.

Sachin and Kambli are perfect example of how talent can be used or wasted.

“I wanted to buy a candy but Sachin (Tendulkar) did not allow,” the 39-year-old left-hander told reporters as tears rolled down his face.

“I had informed about my decision to retire to Sachin, . I have Sachin’s blessings,” said the flamboyant cricketer,

wats this obsession with sachin , does every indian (cricketer) need his blessings and permission before doing anything in life , no wonder the poor guy chokes , so much pressure and expectations on his little shoulders .
whats next kapil dev announces his retirement from t20 cricket , to concentrate on test matches ??

How good was Vinod Kambli?

Kambli scored two double centuries in his short test career , wasn't a very good ODI player. Why was he not given more chances in test cricket considering that india did not have much of the firepower in batting in 90s. Was there politics going on in the team? kambli averages 59 in FC cricket which is awesome.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zvgEOSSScBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He was a talented batman. I think more than politics it was his unprofessional attitude which was to blame for his short career.

Started off well, but got thoroughly exposed against the WI quicks (minus Ambrose) when WI came to India in 1994. Just could not handle short pitch stuff. His test career virtually ended there.

Back