The death of a young EY employee is raising questions over India's 'always-on' work culture

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs

The death of a young EY employee is raising questions over India's 'always-on' work culture​

Fourteen-hour work days, meetings during vacations, and no overtime.

To some, this may sound like a job from hell. But for many employees in India, it's just another working day.

India has one of the toughest work cultures in the world. In 2022, according to the most recently available data from the International Labour Organization, the average employee in India worked 46.7 hours a week, compared to about 38 in the US.

Not only are employees in India working long hours, but many are also doing it under intense pressure.

"The pressure is very, very high," Jennifer Hephzibah, a senior HR professional in India, told Business Insider. "If you don't deliver it at a particular time, you either lose your bonus, or you lose your job. It doesn't matter what you're going through otherwise."

A Boston Consulting Group survey of 11,000 workers in eight countries in October 2023 found that 58% of Indian respondents reported feeling burned out — the highest share of any of the countries, including the US (50%), the UK (47%), and Japan (37%).

'Glorifying overwork'
This always-on culture has come under the spotlight recently following the death of an EY employee, Anna Sebastian Perayil, in July.

Peryail's father, Sebastian Perayil, told The News Minute that he believed his daughter died of a combination of health issues, including work stress and acid reflux which triggered a lack of sleep. The official cause of Perayil's death, however, remains unclear.

"Anna was unable to sleep on most days and couldn't eat on time," he told the publication. "After a whole night of work, she would have to wake up at 7:30 the next morning and repeat the same cycle."

According to The Hindu, Perayil's mother emailed Rajiv Memani, the chairman at EY India, in the wake of Perayil's death, saying her daughter had collapsed four months into the job after struggling with "the workload, new environment, and long hours."

She also accused EY of "glorifying overwork."

EY told BI it was "taking the family's correspondence with utmost seriousness and humility" and called Perayil's death an "irreparable loss."

Source: Business Insider

most late-stage industries work solely on the efficiency of their output as they don't provide anything unique versus competitors, in most instances this is manifested as how much juice you can squeeze out of your junior employees. this is the case in consultancy, banking, law, etc.

i was in this position, i did 24 hour days a few times, slept at work, all of it, it was never too much for me mentally, unfortunately, some people get tunnel vision and lose the bigger picture and let stress get to them. overworking is never the problem, stressing about messing up however is.

it is also not PC to say, but in my opinion this is hundred percent a bigger issue for women, they are not emotionally equipped to be solely work focussed, they have far broader core needs then men do, unfortunately in the process of turning humans into droids, this has been overlooked in the name of equality of the sexes.

i kept automating everything where i could, every time i encountered a process that seemed inefficient and stupid i tried to optimise it. this is the way, most companies have tonnes of rubbish processes, that insecure middle managers dont allow to be changed.

Have a different take here. Nobody was forced to continue in the firm. I totally get it that there should be rest. But if you agree to do it and sign on it - its your responsibility. You cant be blaming the hiring firm here. Sorry RIP to the individual - no disrespect to the dead absolutely but this was a route taking by that person.

Have a different take here. Nobody was forced to continue in the firm. I totally get it that there should be rest. But if you agree to do it and sign on it - its your responsibility. You cant be blaming the hiring firm here. Sorry RIP to the individual - no disrespect to the dead absolutely but this was a route taking by that person.
firms should be held accountable. It is a well known fact that few consultancy companies are literal death march.

the well-being of an employee is the management's responsibility and not for altruistic reasons. happy people are productive and creative, insecure people are blinkered, prone to mistakes, and stop communicating, creating potential bottlenecks and banana skins for other employees.

its a case of "it takes two hands to clap", both parties have some culpability.

most late-stage industries work solely on the efficiency of their output as they don't provide anything unique versus competitors, in most instances this is manifested as how much juice you can squeeze out of your junior employees. this is the case in consultancy, banking, law, etc.

i was in this position, i did 24 hour days a few times, slept at work, all of it, it was never too much for me mentally, unfortunately, some people get tunnel vision and lose the bigger picture and let stress get to them. overworking is never the problem, stressing about messing up however is.

it is also not PC to say, but in my opinion this is hundred percent a bigger issue for women, they are not emotionally equipped to be solely work focussed, they have far broader core needs then men do, unfortunately in the process of turning humans into droids, this has been overlooked in the name of equality of the sexes.

i kept automating everything where i could, every time i encountered a process that seemed inefficient and stupid i tried to optimise it. this is the way, most companies have tonnes of rubbish processes, that insecure middle managers dont allow to be changed.
It's doubly hard for Indians ( or any offshore worker) in a consultancy. They need to stand out in front of their immediate team and make an impression infront of western people too who are often the project leads ( not 100% sure this is the case here but its quite common). These guys are under a lot of pressure. and theres legit thousands standing outside wanting their job who are prepared to work crazy hard too.

This is usually something that people who have no idea about industry say.

the well-being of an employee is the management's responsibility and not for altruistic reasons. happy people are productive and creative, insecure people are blinkered, prone to mistakes, and stop communicating, creating potential bottlenecks and banana skins for other employees.

its a case of "it takes two hands to clap", both parties have some culpability.
Not at all denying corporate culpability. This would be dependent on work place laws in that state. My knowledge there is very little. If this was in the USA- it would be a lawsuit for work place rights violation.

It's doubly hard for Indians ( or any offshore worker) in a consultancy. They need to stand out in front of their immediate team and make an impression infront of western people too who are often the project leads ( not 100% sure this is the case here but its quite common). These guys are under a lot of pressure. and theres legit thousands standing outside wanting their job who are prepared to work crazy hard too.
Your last sentence is unfortunately the reality along with I'm guessing poor work place laws or atleast lax work place law enforcements. Companies will be hit with big lawsuits if this case had happened in the US

Your last sentence is unfortunately the reality along with I'm guessing poor work place laws or atleast lax work place law enforcements. Companies will be hit with big lawsuits if this case had happened in the US
It's the type of thing not covered in work place laws.
It's an undocumented but strict world culture that usually comes from management. Sure, you can technically clock out at 5, but there are pressures around and implied ( but never defined) rules that stop you from doing so. Other people around you have the same pressure.

it's the same in most finance/consultancy companies. I'd imagine the pressure is heightened if you are a woman ( from a minority background) because you will need to work doubly hard anyway in this type of environment.

@ElRaja is bang on the money with his post. Most of us will work like this until we realize the efficiencies we can make to get ahead, and then if you are savvy you can get ahead while maintaining your sanity but you always have to have in the back of your mind that you are playing the game, it's just a job, don't get stressed, just hang in until you can turn the tables.

If you let it consume you like this poor lady, then there's no way out.

Sorry this post may be a bit of a ramble. I've been in this ladies shoes, its difficult to articulate what that type of environment feels like until you are in it.

It's the type of thing not covered in work place laws.
It's an undocumented but strict world culture that usually comes from management. Sure, you can technically clock out at 5, but there are pressures around and implied ( but never defined) rules that stop you from doing so. Other people around you have the same pressure.

it's the same in most finance/consultancy companies. I'd imagine the pressure is heightened if you are a woman ( from a minority background) because you will need to work doubly hard anyway in this type of environment.

@ElRaja is bang on the money with his post. Most of us will work like this until we realize the efficiencies we can make to get ahead, and then if you are savvy you can get ahead while maintaining your sanity but you always have to have in the back of your mind that you are playing the game, it's just a job, don't get stressed, just hang in until you can turn the tables.

If you let it consume you like this poor lady, then there's no way out.

Sorry this post may be a bit of a ramble. I've been in this ladies shoes, its difficult to articulate what that type of environment feels like until you are in it.

which is why i think there needs to be a more fundamental admission that women and men are different, not only because of the points you raise, which are valid, but because men and women have very different responses to insidious bullying, and emotional manipulation like this. i had a colleague come to me on the verge of tears saying she was gonna quit, it didn't even take a day to sort out her problem, but when women feel like they can't talk to anyone they internalise everything. its clear this woman in the OP felt she had no one to talk to.

I know some of my relatives back in India work 10 hours a day 7 days a week just to meet the deadlines and get good appraisals. All for a few thousand rupees of pay rise.

I am not sure if all of that effort is worth a 10,000 rupees of bonus or pay hike. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of job stress. Some can handle it like a boss. Some cannot. In rare cases, some take extreme steps. Especially the ones battling mental conditions like depression.

One has to understand the impact of such strenuous jobs and tase a step back to re-evaluate their situation. Indian parents also have to understand that its okay if someone chooses traditional jobs to make a living. Not everyone has to be a Software Engineer or a Doctor or an IAS/IPS.

Second death at EY second Indian woman, one at Aus 2 years ago and one this one in India.

I have worked in an Indian consultancies and yes it sucks but never led to committing suicide coz I hated everyone but big 4 are revered too much, I hope their rep gets dented.

PwC got a whooping in China hopefully others will soon as well.

I know some of my relatives back in India work 10 hours a day 7 days a week just to meet the deadlines and get good appraisals. All for a few thousand rupees of pay rise.

I am not sure if all of that effort is worth a 10,000 rupees of bonus or pay hike. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of job stress. Some can handle it like a boss. Some cannot. In rare cases, some take extreme steps. Especially the ones battling mental conditions like depression.

One has to understand the impact of such strenuous jobs and tase a step back to re-evaluate their situation. Indian parents also have to understand that its okay if someone chooses traditional jobs to make a living. Not everyone has to be a Software Engineer or a Doctor or an IAS/IPS.
Happened to an Indian woman in Aus as well, big 4 is utter crap , even in Dallas they are all talk and nothing of substance.

Not at all denying corporate culpability. This would be dependent on work place laws in that state. My knowledge there is very little. If this was in the USA- it would be a lawsuit for work place rights violation.
I have worked for 6 years in India , 2 were terrible and 4 extremely good, it absolutely depends upon who is your manager and supervisor, but one thing is consistent Big 4 is absolute hell in India, it’s easily the worst place to work for but the money keeps people going.

The issue is this, BiG 4 has a rep, Indian companies have bad rep so no one cares but Big 4 is extremely good on resume along with Mckinsey even though it’s bang average and means nothing, so when employees struggle there it hits them harder.

I hate the Big 4 with a passion, avoid their recruiters or people that have grown up working there and this is in states , India is a whole different story.
They legit believe in the term “survival of the fittest” and they implement it as well.

I have worked for 6 years in India , 2 were terrible and 4 extremely good, it absolutely depends upon who is your manager and supervisor, but one thing is consistent Big 4 is absolute hell in India, it’s easily the worst place to work for but the money keeps people going.

The issue is this, BiG 4 has a rep, Indian companies have bad rep so no one cares but Big 4 is extremely good on resume along with Mckinsey even though it’s bang average and means nothing, so when employees struggle there it hits them harder.

I hate the Big 4 with a passion, avoid their recruiters or people that have grown up working there and this is in states , India is a whole different story.
They legit believe in the term “survival of the fittest” and they implement it as well.
These Big 4 work load is nothing compared to MBB :p.
Its has always and will remain a cut throat rat race work environment. Another factor that's missing (I maybe wrong here for a non-PC POV here), these companies have been pushing for gender diversity in their hiring as a primary focus of the recruitment over the last decade. With such a misguided primary focus, one will end up hiring people who are not the right fit for the work culture.

It's a sad reality of corporate life. I once saw a Program Manager of a US company, joining meetings on the day of her father's funeral right from the location of the funeral. Just imagine the mental toll.

I would recommend best career path is farming. Tax-free life, atleast every election cycle your concerns are heard and loans waived and given free daaru for protests.

Unfortunately it's a cycle. I started my career in consulting in EY before I moved to the Corporate side. Those 3 years, there was hardly a week when I didn't put in 60+ hours.

Today at a senior level, I'm often guilty of the same treatment. I've realised how true it is that "if you really want something done, pick the busiest person and give it to them." Over 400 folks tree up to me but I find myself picking the same 5 unfortunates to put on assignments. Of course they're heavily rewarded and I'll pull them with me if/when I move jobs but they essentially have no weekends or social life in the meanwhile.

As to the young lady who who potentially died of overwork, I would say it's still possible to sack off if you're determined...just have to learn how to keep a low profile and not be ambitious.

Work-life balance should be the priority for every individual,may it be the manager, owner or employee. If you don't wanna do overtime then just don't do it. Nothing is more important than your own health. Always on work does not mean that a single employee is working 24/7 and also taking extra work.

Hire more people if the company has more work.

Second death at EY second Indian woman, one at Aus 2 years ago and one this one in India.

I have worked in an Indian consultancies and yes it sucks but never led to committing suicide coz I hated everyone but big 4 are revered too much, I hope their rep gets dented.

PwC got a whooping in China hopefully others will soon as well.
Consultancy in Big 4 is absolute garbage at least in India especially for new MBA grads . A very toxic environment AFAIK . The MBA culture itself can be very toxic

Back