The Greatest Test Match Ever Involving Pakistan?

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
As test cricket approaches it's 2000th test match at Lords between England and India, I ask you which you think was the best ever test match involving Pakistan?

Lets have some opinions on which match it was and what made it so great?

A few spring to mind straight away, but let's see what everyone has to say :)

Last edited:
Pakistan vs England - Oval 1954
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62776.html

Pakistan was playing its only 9th test match in its 2nd test ever test series. England were the best team at that time. This match is still (to this date) the biggest upset caused by a Pakistani team... or any cricket team for that matter.

Teams standings from 1952 to 1955.. and see how good England team was.

Attachments

• uu.jpg
    uu.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/pakistan/engine/match/63654.html

Dickie Bird called it the best Test he stood in.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/390838.html

Read it :))

99002.2.jpg

Last edited:
chennai 99
Karachi 94 vs Aus
Lords 92
Hmilton 93-94 vs nz
Banglore 2005
Karachi 2006 .Coming back from 39-5 and winning the test is some achievement

The game that pakistan won against India at Eden Garden....... ( Asian Test Championship ). Pakistan batting first were 26/6. From there they won this game........well what a test it was.

Karachi 1994 and The Oval 1954 - when Pakistan made their mark on the international stage.

I think we already covered the top matches.

I guess W63L35s test match was the critical in our history. Turned a whole generation around, and showed them we could be great. This was eventually followed up in the 70's onwards.

I guess the one I mentioned was possibly the greatest test match we've been involved in. Entertainment, twists, collapses, Waqar/Wasim carnage, Warne's magic, and an epic ending.

I guess the third one was that Asian test championship match. Great recovery. Lets have a poll with 3-4 matches :O

Last edited by a moderator:
Hobart 1999. Great Start by Aus. Saqlains magic. Inzy century. Gilchrist special. Most amazing test match I have seen Pakistan involved in

Love the patchwork done on this thread :))

Hobart 1999. Great Start by Aus. Saqlains magic. Inzy century. Gilchrist special. Most amazing test match I have seen Pakistan involved in

Hobart 1999 and Sydney 2010. Amazing, yes. Thrilling yes. Most devastating test matches in our history? Probably.

I've felt terribly bad when we lost to India in '03, and '07 and '11. But, something about those 2 defeats still pains me so much. The magic of test cricket eh?

I guess those 5 defeats are really up their as our worst most in the last couple of decades. Maybe ever.

There are few but Karachi 2006 win was just awesome seeing India's so called great batsmen schooled by Asif and co on the final day.

Isn't it amazing that this doesn't even have half the posts compared to the Indian equivalent. :facepalm:

1994 Pakistan vs Australia at Karachi.

2000/01 England tour of Pakistan where England pulled off a great victory by scoring the runs in dark! Pakistani didn't won but it sure involved Pakistan.

2004 Bangladesh tour of Pakistan. 3rd Test(I think it was in Multan) where Inzamam scored a century and won Pakistan the match by just one wicket.

2005 Pakistan tour of India where Kamran Akmal and Abdul Razzaq denied India a victory.

2006 India tour of Pakistan, 3rd Test at Karachi where Irfan Pathan got a hat-trick in the very first of the match and Pakistan were 3 wickets down for no runs on the board. They were 36-6 when Kamran Akmal scored a match-winning century in the first innings.

Hard to pick one test but one i really enjoyed was the 1992 win at Lords v England. When Wasim and Waqar blew away England with ball in both inns and then won us the test match with the bat as well chasing a very lowish total.

Very tough to pick one test but i must say winning against Aus in 1994 in Karachi and winning against india in Chennai have to be the best win as far as i remember.

Afridi, Saqlain, Wasim, Yousuf, Moin...all of them.

The 1994 test vs Aus and the Chennai tests are front runners, but I'm suprised no one mentioned Australia last year?

People always are scared of rating stuff that has happened very recently.

119629.jpg

Pakistan vs India (Don't know where)

Shoaib Akhtar bowled Sachin's middle stump maybe it was Chennai

Heasdingley last year was special too, that final day's play was just too much to watch at times.

Beating England - Manchester 2001.

Beating India - Bangalore 2005.

Beating Australia - Leeds 2010.

Nobody mentioned here the famous Banglore Test in 1986/87.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63456.html

It was a great test match .... and this victory brought us our first series win in India.

This was 5th test match of the series..... and after first 4 drawn match, India made a square turner of pitch... thinking that their spinners (Shastri, Yadav, Maninder) are much better than our spinners (Tauseef, Qasim)...... and Indian batsmen would tackle our spinners better than their spinner.

Pakistan need 221 to win on a wicket which started taking spin on the first day before lunch. On the first day, Maninder Singh take 7 wickets and skittles Pakistan out for partly 116 runs on that pitch! Imagine scoring 221 runs to win on that wicket in 4th innings.

When When Pakistan were all out for 249 and set India were required to win 220 runs, everybody thought India will not even reach a total of 100...... but umpires had other plans. They gave so many decisions in favor of Indian batsmen that Indian came as close as 12 runs. Gavaskar himself got 4-5 turns in that innings. On on occasion he was caught in the slip off of Iqbal Qasim and he was given not out.

Pathetic umpiring decisions in 4th innings made this test as nerve wrecking as it turned out to be..... but if you take the pathetic umpiring decisions out of this match, it was an easy victory for Pakistan. Test was won with the toss.... as Imran Khan later said in an interview. BCCI fell into its own trap.... by preparing an extremely un-prepared pitch.

Chennai and Karachi are up there.

But beating Australia by one wicket (the match that Dickie Bird rated) takes the cake I reckon.

the match where pak were 39-6 and then won. it happened it karachi i believe?

:kami

Pakistan vs India at Karachi , 2006.

I watched the game live at NSK. I remember at the start of the innings when Irfan Pathan took that hattrick , some of the people in the stadium were actually happy because they wanted Afridi to come in and smash some lusty blows ( Mind you, Afridi was in great form at that time. He had scored two hundreds and a 92 in his last three test matches ). But once Afridi got out, there was pin drop silence in the crowd until Kamran's and Razzaq's heroics rescued us and we ended up taking four Indian wickets before the end of play. I had to bunk school for three days to watch rest of the match. I remember Asif bowling Tendulkar, Sehwag and Laxman and the crowd going absolutely crazy, esp at bona Tendulkar's dismissal. I also remember telling my friend that we should consider ourselves really lucky because Asif was going to turn out to be a legend and we had witnessed his first ever match winning performance live. Really sad how he turned out.

the match where pak were 39-6 and then won. it happened it karachi i believe?

:kami

I remember how I planned to watch just the first session, then 39-6 happened and was like "ummm...I'll just watch till Razzaq or Kamran got out" but I kept hoping because of Mohali '05 (which was also a great test for Pakistan). I ended up staying up all night watching the test, first time I did that. Couldn't stay awake for class the next day, but at the same time was really anxious to watch the second days play. The Karachi crowd was so loud for that game, just made it so much better. That 05-06 season was the best I've witnessed of Pakistan...

The 1994 test vs Aus and the Chennai tests are front runners, but I'm suprised no one mentioned Australia last year?

People always are scared of rating stuff that has happened very recently.

119629.jpg

Kya din thay yar :(

Chennai 1999. Pakistan team won a dramatic match on the final day and on top of it the team got a sporting ovation from the crowd.

With regards to great fightback, one has to add Kolkata 1999 as well, when Pakistan was in dire situation with 6 wickets down for nothing, Moin Khan played a resuce innings to turn the tide and also it announced the arrival of Shoaib Akhtar.

Last edited:
Chennai 1999. Pakistan team won a dramatic match on the final day and on top of it the team got a sporting ovation from the crowd.

With regards to great fightback, one has to add Kolkata 1999 as well, when Pakistan was in dire situation with 6 wickets down for nothing, Moin Khan played a resuce innings to turn the tide and also it announced the arrival of Shoaib Akhtar.

It cant be Chennai/ Kolkatta 99 for Pakistan as they were one of the best teams and Indians were probably in last few in their rankings and had worst team in late 90's. SRT was our only saving grace. Pakistan were tipped to win the test anyway and did not expect this to be so close in all the test matches.

To me Pak vs Eng in 92 followed by Karachi'94 and Banglore 87

It cant be Chennai/ Kolkatta 99 for Pakistan as they were one of the best teams and Indians were probably in last few in their rankings and had worst team in late 90's. SRT was our only saving grace. Pakistan were tipped to win the test anyway and did not expect this to be so close in all the test matches.

To me Pak vs Eng in 92 followed by Karachi'94 and Banglore 87

That makes no sense.

Your not allowed to have a great match with a crap opponent?

It has to be Chennai 1999. Because the match swings in every session.

If a match winning partnership is building up, suddenly from nowhere 4 or 5 quick wickets will fell, pegging back the opposition.

That makes no sense.

Your not allowed to have a great match with a crap opponent?

Well may be yes but in that case the top team hasnt played well. They havent played quality cricket and that cannot be a best match. well, its my opinion.

For India, 99 Chennai is one of the best test match that India was involved.

Few that I remember watching:

Pak vs BD at Multan in 2003, when Inzy batted with the tailenders and won the match for us! :gul

Pak vs South Africa 2003/04 at Lahore - joint effort by Akhtar and Kaneria in the 2nd innings, and of course Asim Kamal's 99 on debut

Pak vs India 2003/04 at Lahore

Pak vs New Zealand 2003/04 - Shoaib Akhtar!!! :D We were bowled out for 196 in reply to NZ's 366 and then Akhtar got us back in the game and Yousuf & inzy finished it off!! http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64068.html

Pak vs England 2005/06 - 1st test! We were to defend 198 (i think) and we won by 20 odd runs - Thanks to :akhtar and :danish

Pak vs Aus 2010 at Leeds - Still remember how nervous I was on the final day! :))

BUT Pak vs India at Karachi - 2006 tops the list for me! Just cannot forget it!! :bhanja

Last edited:
Banglore '87- Pakistan defeated India on their home turf on a pitch which was just made for the Indian spinners but it came to haunt them big time when Pakistan spin duo of Tauseef & Iqbal Qasim shared 19 wickets between them and won the series for Pakistan.

Well may be yes but in that case the top team hasnt played well. They havent played quality cricket and that cannot be a best match. well, its my opinion.

For India, 99 Chennai is one of the best test match that India was involved.

That still makes no sense.

My conclusion:
Someones still sulking over that match :)):))

surprise to see aussie drop so many catchs,,,,,
australia need not worry as pak repaid them back with open hearts, by droppin catchs left right and centre in future matchs,,,,,

For me it is no doubt The Karachi Test match in 2006 against India. From 39/6 to win eventually by 340 runs would seem just impossible after the first morning.

is it a coincidence that shoaib akhtar was a part of so many memorable wins for pakistan ????......... the series agnst england , culcutta test , the victories in SOUTH AFRICA and the series win over them in pak , and that famous series win agnst newzealand in nz to name just a few :)........ he surely was a bigger match winner than ppl give him credit for ...... our biggest match winner post 97 , i think he comfortably won more matches than yousaf or younis , up there with inzi perhaps ???:wasim

is it a coincidence that shoaib akhtar was a part of so many memorable wins for pakistan ????......... the series agnst england , culcutta test , the victories in SOUTH AFRICA and the series win over them in pak , and that famous series win agnst newzealand in nz to name just a few :)........ he surely was a bigger match winner than ppl give him credit for ...... our biggest match winner post 97 , i think he comfortably won more matches than yousaf or younis , up there with inzi perhaps ???:wasim

Everyone knows he was a great match winner.

But everyone would tell you, he had the potential to become the greatest bowler in cricket.

By that, he actually had a pretty average career. Thats probably why people don't rate Akhtar as much as they should. He ruined his own career, and a lot of matches for Pakistan because of his attitude.

Ofcourse, still 10x better then any Indian bowler has ever had, but we got bigger ambitions :))

Last edited:
Few that I remember watching:

Pak vs BD at Multan in 2003, when Inzy batted with the tailenders and won the match for us! :gul

Pak vs South Africa 2003/04 at Lahore - joint effort by Akhtar and Kaneria in the 2nd innings, and of course Asim Kamal's 99 on debut

Pak vs India 2003/04 at Lahore

Pak vs New Zealand 2003/04 - Shoaib Akhtar!!! :D We were bowled out for 196 in reply to NZ's 366 and then Akhtar got us back in the game and Yousuf & inzy finished it off!! http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/64068.html

Pak vs England 2005/06 - 1st test! We were to defend 198 (i think) and we won by 20 odd runs - Thanks to :akhtar and :danish

Pak vs Aus 2010 at Leeds - Still remember how nervous I was on the final day! :))

BUT Pak vs India at Karachi - 2006 tops the list for me! Just cannot forget it!! :bhanja
Yoiu said it

Hard to pick one test but one i really enjoyed was the 1992 win at Lords v England. When Wasim and Waqar blew away England with ball in both inns and then won us the test match with the bat as well chasing a very lowish total.

That would get my vote.

Alec Stewart carried his bat. I thought that England had snatched it at the death - Chris Lewis bowled like the wind, and I remember Salisbury gloving Miandad and Salim Malik. Then W&W guided Pakistan home.

For me it is no doubt The Karachi Test match in 2006 against India. From 39/6 to win eventually by 340 runs would seem just impossible after the first morning.
You can thank Harper for that, didn't give Razzaq out in the first/second over he faced from Zaheer & it was plumb LBW !

R0H1T--foolish post mate, considering Shoaib Akhtar also got stuck in PLUS Kamran scored a century, PLUS all our batsmen in the second innings blew you out of the water, PLUS we won by 341 runs

Last edited:
R0H1T--foolish post mate, considering Shoaib Akhtar also got stuck in PLUS Kamran scored a century, PLUS all our batsmen in the second innings blew you out of the water, PLUS we won by 341 runs
Plus the partnership that turned it around was Kami/Razzaq like in Mohali 2005 btw the conditions flattened out after the first session/hour if you recall so can't say what you are basing your assumptions on ?

Plus the partnership that turned it around was Kami/Razzaq like in Mohali 2005 btw the conditions flattened out after the first session/hour if you recall so can't say what you are basing your assumptions on ?

Couldn't have flattened out that much if we ran through your top order with ease. Only reason India got close to our first innings total is because we dropped a lucky Pathan who was just slogging.

Sydney 1976 (the birth of the modern Pakistan team), Bangalore 1987, Karachi vs Aus, as above. 1st test against India 1999 (saqlain getting sachin)

Couldn't have flattened out that much if we ran through your top order with ease. Only reason India got close to our first innings total is because we dropped a lucky Pathan who was just slogging.
It was enough to stop our PHAST bowlers running through your lineup but then for someone who doesn't need that much help from conditions(Shoaib inform) & India's historic weakness against up'n'coming bowlers(Asif also in form) led to our downfall !

It was enough to stop our PHAST bowlers running through your lineup but then for someone who doesn't need that much help from conditions(Shoaib inform) & India's historic weakness against up'n'coming bowlers(Asif also in form) led to our downfall !

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Because using your flawed logic, since our batting line ups have always been weaker, you didn't need as strong a bowling line up to beat us, right?

Excuses
:facepalm:

its definately not sydney 2010 for me bc i KNOW that that match was at least not played with 100 percent commitment -if it wasnt fixed. i mean those matches cant b rated which we know invloved serious grouping within our team

iv only been following cricket properly n closely after 2000 so karachi 2006 was surely a test match of its own class i mean it had everything no?- a test match hatrick (gosh yousuf's disgusted face flashes across my eyes when we went 0 for 3 wickets down) ,prevously a nobody kamran played his best test match innings n then asif made the ball talk.... ( oooh the vision of him bowling tendulcar n then sachin bowing before him makes me feel so proud of our cricket now that i remember it!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIPxCYRzbE

also the away series with india the previous year was fabulous as a whole, chennai test was sooo elating!

Last edited:
As test cricket approaches it's 2000th test match at Lords between England and India, I ask you which you think was the best ever test match involving Pakistan?

Lets have some opinions on which match it was and what made it so great?

A few spring to mind straight away, but let's see what everyone has to say :)

Bangalore 1987 test vs India, it was the series decider and on Monster turner. India took Pak out very cheapily, but, Pak came back and India only manager about 9 or 10 in the lead. Then Pak gave India over 200 to chase. Gavaskar stood Pak and victory with the assistance of umpires, and after a few chances was taken out on 92. The match was swinging one way or the other. It was also the time when there used to be rest days during a match. The scenes where Imran and Miandad looking with disbeleif at the umpires with their hands on their waists. Miandad caught on the camera, while swearing and waving the fingers at the umpres while taking field in the deep. This was the ultimate battle. None comes close, the backdrop was the India Pak War tension, Zia-ul-Haq travelled to India. The second in the ranking would be Chennai test for coming so close for either team,

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

Because using your flawed logic, since our batting line ups have always been weaker, you didn't need as strong a bowling line up to beat us, right?

Excuses
What flawed logic ? The fact that India was about to enter arguably its most tumultuous period in recent history on the backdrop of Ganguly/Guru Greig saga or four of the fab5 not in the best of form that'd make beating a team on roll even more difficult, see Pak results in 05/06 period & against us for reference !

You can thank Harper for that, didn't give Razzaq out in the first/second over he faced from Zaheer & it was plumb LBW !

Couldn't get better than this :facepalm:

Ah Shoaib Akhtar! :D Batted for more than an hour and the bowlers, for some unknown reason kept bowling short balls to him! :))

And then surely demons emerged in the pitch all of a sudden when India came to bat? :80:

If it was only because of Harper that we managed 245 after being reduced to 39/6, and if the pitch had eased out so much, why was the Indian batting line-up comprising Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Sehwag, Yuvraj and Dhoni unable to score 300+ ?
IIRC, We even dropped as many as four catches during that innings.

And then surely demons emerged in the pitch all of a sudden when India came to bat?

If it was only because of Harper that we managed 245 after being reduced to 39/6, and if the pitch had eased out so much, why was the Indian batting line-up comprising Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Sehwag, Yuvraj and Dhoni unable to score 300+ ?
IIRC, We even dropped as many as four catches during that innings.
As I'd mentioned earlier Pak was carrying their good form from the previous year & that series win(ODI) away in Ind boosted their confidence &were inform add the fact that there was bad blood due to Greig in the team making it nearly impossible for us to beat a hitherto mercurial side which was well organized this time around !
In other words a better side at that point in time .
Pretty easy to understand you see .

Last edited:
As I'd mentioned earlier Pak was carrying their good form from the previous year & that series win(ODI) away in Ind boosted their confidence &were inform add the fact that there was bad blood due to Greig in the team making it nearly impossible for us to beat a hitherto mercurial side which was well organized this time around !
Pretty easy to understand you see .
You know that thread we had earlier in the year?

Worst excusess by opposition.

That, is by far, the winner.

I too vote for 'that' match to be the best match in terms of Pakistan's test history.
1) Fighting back from 39-6 and winning by a huge margin is something to be hugely proud of.
2) Team rose united to make that happen.
3) The win came against the greatest rival - India

LOL - what are you doing?

What makes the Karachi test victory "great" is the fact that we were down and out on the first day and yet ended up winning the test by 340 odd runs!

Don't know why you came up with the Harper comment in the first place! and then followed it up with the "conditions flattened out" one! :))

it is fair to say pakistan have played the best and exciting games and even our dull games are usually exciting compared to other nations as you sense a moment of magic is around the corner. i think our fans are now going to realise the void of aamir and asif out of our test attack. maybe we have been robbed of one of the greatest bowling pairs in this millennium.

Originally Posted by Blitz
You know that thread we had earlier in the year?

Worst excusess by opposition.

That, is by far, the winner.
Excuse me that was a complement if ever there was gonna be one from my side(Pak was a better team), the excuse of course is the Harper decision which changed the match on its head just like that Symonds' one you know when !
Originally Posted by pakcricketfan
LOL - what are you doing?

What makes the Karachi test victory "great" is the fact that we were down and out on the first day and yet ended up winning the test by 340 odd runs!

Don't know why you came up with the Harper comment in the first place! and then followed it up with the "conditions flattened out" one!
The fact is that howler changed the match situation(not necessarily result though) & as conditions eased out the better team(in form as well) won but Ind needed some luck(good not bad one), just like a couple of years later down under, to beat an organized unit which was winning consistently in their backyard whilst we weren't in top shape !

Last edited:
The fact is that howler changed the match situation(not necessarily result though) & as conditions eased out the better team(in form as well) won but Ind needed some luck(good not bad one), just like a couple of years later down under, to beat an organized unit which was winning consistently in their backyard whilst we weren't in top shape !

can we have the video plz???? , or it didnt happen:aleemdar , and lol @ my bharti friends crying me an ocean abt an umpiring decision that in all likelihood didnt even happen, forgetting sir jayaprakash and sir hariharan are we ???

Lord's 1992 because it was the first full test I watched! Seriously that was an amazing game, I was 7 -will never forget it

can we have the video plz???? , or it didnt happen , and lol @ my bharti friends crying me an ocean abt an umpiring decision that in all likelihood didnt even happen, forgetting sir jayaprakash and sir hariharan are we ???
You can search for it on google/youtube cause I don't have a link right now but having seen the match live I can tell you that its as plumb(LBW) as they get so either you take my word or go look for evidence to kill that curiosity of yours !

Last edited:
You can search for it on google/youtube cause I don't have a link right now but having seen the match live I can tell you that its as plumb(LBW) as they get so either you take my word or go look for evidence to kill that curiosity of yours !

lol just as i thought ,ur the one who came up with the false accusation , so u shud hve come up with the proof , why shud i look for it , stop spreading false info and accept that india were thoroughly trounced , wasnt the first time india lost to pak and wont b the last .... . cheers :sachin

Back