The Helicopter shot!

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
Who is the inventor? :inti

Dhoni or Sachin?
This is Sachin playing the shot in 2002, it wasn't given the name then.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JCqVaN3kaLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dhoni made it noteworthy, famous and credited with the invention.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6UrivgQVEl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hkg4w92fAmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/komDml1AIoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sachin in 2011-
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M3Be19ulCgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
131915.2.jpg

It looks similar, but the way Dhoni deposits the ball in the crowd playing that shot is amazing. Just imagine the power in those arms to dig a yorkers to straight six.

Dhoni's are hit a lot harder and go a lot straighter. But yes, credit must go to Sachin.

It's a bit like the 'Dilscoop'. I'm sure I've seen it done a few times before dilshan did it in 2009, but maybe not as obvious and successful as dilshan.

I think Dhoni play this shot in better way instead of tendulker !!
BTW this guy has alot of time to just prove who is the inventor :)))

Last edited:
Who ever created it doesn't matter. Fact is Dhoni's helicopter shot is much better than Sachin's. :dhoni

Did Sachin not hit one for six in Mumbai Indians' match against Kochi Tuskers?

Sachin rather would take the credit for the vertical sweep he plays behind the wicket.

Was he the first one to play that shot ?

Dhoni's technique is quite original and personalized. Some of his shots are just out the books.

mahendra-singh-dhoni-2009-9-14-9-10-55.jpg

1819db2ff4f6b8d8b98d0c128c4c-grande.jpg

02dhoni.jpg

article-1191360-0444E6150000044D-662_468x432.jpg

0.jpg

Funny-Cricket-Photos-5.jpg

I used to play the switch hit when I played tape ball cricket in school 10 years ago, but it has been attributed to Kevin Pietersen :| It happens :D

sachins shot isnt the same as Dhonis . I have seen MSD dig out yorkers , Tendulkars shots wer just of overpitched balls .

I used to play the switch hit when I played tape ball cricket in school 10 years ago, but it has been attributed to Kevin Pietersen :| It happens :D

Come on now i played it to perfection when i was in class 3 :D
Paper ball cricket, and the bat was the notebook . You hit the other wall , its a six. Bowling was under arm full toss .
Everything used to get switch hit for six on the wall :)))

Even one one guy named nagar from delhi team played a very good helicopter shot today,similar to dhoni's if someone noticed.it just went for a single though.just saw on cricinfo also been mentioned

Steyn to Hopes, 1 run, looks suspiciously like an attempt at the helicopter shot, only gets as far as third man

sachins shot isnt the same as Dhonis . I have seen MSD dig out yorkers , Tendulkars shots wer just of overpitched balls .

They target different areas but its basically the same shot. Dhoni generates more power as he goes for a six whereas Tendulkar uses it to hit a 4 on leg side

Ok can someone explain it to me what on earth is a helicopter shot, i looked at the shot and they looked like flicks on the leg side in some videos and in some just a powerful hit over the ropes, so can some one explain to me what on earth is a helicopter shot. What qualifies a shot to be a helicopter shot, anyone?

has been played in tape ball cricket for decades, nothing new or worth getting excited about.

Ok can someone explain it to me what on earth is a helicopter shot, i looked at the shot and they looked like flicks on the leg side in some videos and in some just a powerful hit over the ropes, so can some one explain to me what on earth is a helicopter shot. What qualifies a shot to be a helicopter shot, anyone?

A shot in which there is high use of bottom hand, swing of the arms/wrists playing against yorker or a full pitched delivery and usually going between deep mid wicket and long on

Who invented the shot is not important.

I'm sure every new and novel shot has been tried out in backyards for years.

What is important is who made specific shots popular by trying them out in the biggest stage and reaping benefits from them. Dhoni deserves the credit for popularizing the helicopter shot.

Exactly they are just flicks towards Mid wicket and long on of length deliveries. Lol at people saying Dhoni hit a sixer off a yorker. This is not a new shot just a flick which any body can play who can hold s bat. Pepsi created this helicopter shot for their advertisement. This is how Dhoni plays a perfect yorker.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ue-wmMPvrNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not sure this shot is anything more than a wristy flick to the leg side with a bit of a flourish at the end to generate more power.

who gives a sh!t, really?

I prefer this nuclear flick much more...

[utube]_Lxp8Tma2rU[/utube]

:afridi

^^ Jhaadu Shot.
Reminds more of a seekh jhaadu being used early morning by the sweepers.

Dhoni's helicopter shot is simply amazing. That one against NZL was unbelievable. He was not even looking at the shot.

:))) At Sachin fan trying to discredit Dhoni. This shot truly belongs to Dhoni he has made it his own, he has a style of his own and deserve all the accolades.

I guess this particular Sachin fan cannot give credit where its due and is so insecure that he feels the need to put down other players just so he can prove who invented a shot.:facepalm:

Who is the inventor? :inti

Dhoni or Sachin?
This is Sachin playing the shot in 2002, it wasn't given the name then.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JCqVaN3kaLI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The one played by tendu in 2002 is not helicopter shot u annoying kid :sachin :pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

Last edited:
:))) At Sachin fan trying to discredit Dhoni. This shot truly belongs to Dhoni he has made it his own, he has a style of his own and deserve all the accolades.

I guess this particular Sachin fan cannot give credit where its due and is so insecure that he feels the need to put down other players just so he can prove who invented a shot.:facepalm:

I was missing you:iamlegend
which player did i put down and how?

Tendulkar's wasn't a helicopter shot; he just swivelled onto the back foot, lifting the front leg and whipped it. The helicopter shot is completely different, it's a muscular twirl of the arms that sends the ball in the opposite direction

damn dhoni is a beast. This is the kind of batting us Pakistani's enjoy .We love aggressive batting or bowling. We like to play our cricket aggressive.No wonder dhoni is more like by Pakistani's then even someone like tendulker. I mean if you ask people in Pakistan they will say that they respect tendulker a lot but mot likely their favorite player form indian team would be dhoni or even YKP -for obvious reasons.

That seems like a hard shot to play tbh, I would probably dislocate something if I tried it

I have seen Chappell and Border do something similar in the early eighties, except that they played the pull shot that way instead of the on-drive.

I m not surprised u do !! KP isnt the first one either !! The local Tennis ball tournaments I have been watchin ever since i was a kid had all good players play this shot with perfection !! and it was much before KP !!! and these were state level tournaments where Ranji cricketers participated too !

Switch Hit totally changes a good ball around off stump into an easy leg stump ball easily dispatched over the boundary !

But I had never seen anyone do it with the Leather Ball !! I taut this skill would be limited to Tennis ball till KP did it !!!

Hats off to him for pulling that shot off !!! and hez the first n the only one i hv seen it do in Leather Ball cricket !!!

Amzin Skill !! Hail KP !

I recall a big century Dhoni made in a test in the Windies in which he hit quite a few of these shots.

Great talent. Good person too. Hard to get both in the same room these days

lol@people getting excited over this nonsense. This is nothing but a hack which can be effective against medium pacers on slow low tracks. This technique would make the batsmen look a fool in a test match on a lively track. Flat track bullyness.

You won't find this rubbish in the MCC coaching manual. :boycott

Its not really a shot. Its a slog and i wouldnt expect a batsman like Tendulkar to use this ugly stroke.

I recall a big century Dhoni made in a test in the Windies in which he hit quite a few of these shots.

Great talent. Good person too. Hard to get both in the same room these days

Dhoni has not made a Test 100 outside Asia, or against the West Indies.

Tendulkar dont need such ugly shots he is a class to high for such things.

Dhoni has not made a Test 100 outside Asia, or against the West Indies.

Yup, it was just a cameo. I think the one in which they had an on field dispute with Lara

lol@people getting excited over this nonsense. This is nothing but a hack which can be effective against medium pacers on slow low tracks. This technique would make the batsmen look a fool in a test match on a lively track. Flat track bullyness.

You won't find this rubbish in the MCC coaching manual. :boycott

MCC is full of old looser. they were even confused wid KP switch shot.

Thats one reason why MCC could never teach english guys how to win a WC. :D

Last edited:
My observation is that both look a little different when they play this shot (as it goes down with any shot the two would play because of different styles and strengths), but the one played by Sachin Tendulkar back in 2002 which surely can be called a "helicopter shot". MS Dhoni did it more often ever since his debut I guess and thus is famous for it. I remember his 50 plus score against West Indies prior to the world cup in 2007 where he hit a couple of them for sixes.

By the way, such things prove how crazy people are about the Little Master in India:)).

So we got Dhoni haters...
So we got Tendu haters...
So we got Indian haters...

This isn't a discussion on how useful the shot is or how it is ranked vs. other shots so "who carez the shot sux" has zero point. Some pak fans need to get the knots out of their panties.

To answer OP, Dhoni made the shot his own.

MCC is full of old looser. they were even confused wid KP switch shot.

Thats one reason why MCC could never teach english guys how to win a WC. :D

MCC actually confirmed the swith hit (not switch shot) was fine according to the laws of the game. You can't compare the switch hit to this helicopter 'shot', one is a new variation of an orthodox shot the other is a hack.

MCC will tell Dhoni to play the short ball better because he will need to in England this summer. :)

Dhoni's bottom hand helicopter jab is hit with such fearsome brute, quite staggering how he generates that force.

I think such things should least be discussed, however MS Dhoni also invented a shot which was named as "Jhaaru-sweep" by Ramiz Raja. A video of his 148 at Faisalabad (2nd Test, 2006) would reveal that (but also played it back in 2005 as well).

Again, I consider such to be the last thing to debate.

Last edited:
UV's helicopter shot ......:D

actually not a sort of Helicopter shot i called it super flick .....and look at the timing it is on yorker .....

sorry for poor graphics ..

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fabIAHMgtTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MCC actually confirmed the swith hit (not switch shot) was fine according to the laws of the game. You can't compare the switch hit to this helicopter 'shot', one is a new variation of an orthodox shot the other is a hack.

MCC will tell Dhoni to play the short ball better because he will need to in England this summer. :)

It took them some time to confirm dat its fine according to the rules.
Don't worry he plays short pitch delivery very well.

also, Helicopter shot is hit on yorker not on short pitch delivery.

:D

Come on now i played it to perfection when i was in class 3 :D
Paper ball cricket, and the bat was the notebook . You hit the other wall , its a six. Bowling was under arm full toss .
Everything used to get switch hit for six on the wall :)))

Mate, I think you are taking this as a non serious note, but the switch hit and the dilscoop thing is quite normal in tape ball cricket.

I still remember on one of my trips to lahore way back in 1992 93 where my elder cousin took me to a tape ball game and this batsmen would hit three consecutive sixes on a switch hit to a genuine fast bowler and everytime before hitting he would say in punjabi "oyeee mundeya gussa ni kareeda"

You just have to see the adventures of these tape ball players, things like in one over ill hit you for 6 sixes the bet is on for 500 quids and he would do that easily, and the bowler happened to be Abdur Razzaq in his prime - this incident is 2002 in Merton Park in Colliers Wood, London

This fixing thing and betting all starts from this tape ball arena by the way

I still remember on one of my trips to lahore way back in 1992 93 where my elder cousin took me to a tape ball game and this batsmen would hit three consecutive sixes on a switch hit to a genuine fast bowler and everytime before hitting he would say in punjabi "oyeee mundeya gussa ni kareeda"

You just have to see the adventures of these tape ball players, things like in one over ill hit you for 6 sixes the bet is on for 500 quids and he would do that easily, and the bowler happened to be Abdur Razzaq in his prime - this incident is 2002 in Merton Park in Colliers Wood, London

By any chance, is your cousin a certain Ross Taylor? :D

^^^^ dont think ross tayler is a punjabi lol and my cousin didnt hit Razzaq, it was some other bloke who worked in the local cab office, used to be a tape ball player when he was in sialkot

As a cricket fan I can understand your worries and concerns, but I would tell you to be a little relieved as he averages 52.25 in Test cricket in England, and to his credit also saved a Test match for them.

So be relieved, he may be able to fight that out:)!

Last edited:
lol@people getting excited over this nonsense. This is nothing but a hack which can be effective against medium pacers on slow low tracks.

You are making James Anderson look someone like Abdul Razzaq or Steve Tikolo here:22:........

By the way, I didn´t know New Zealand also produced slow tracks:20:.........

This technique would make the batsmen look a fool in a test match on a lively track. Flat track bullyness.

You expect MS Dhoni to play this shot in Test cricket:boom:? I suggest you to watch cricket to understand it better. You would gather from videos that the shot was mostly played in slog overs of ODI cricket.

Last edited:
As a side note, have a look at another helicopter shot from MS Dhoni:

[utube]ECQ1uAC4X8s[/utube]

Sorry to be blunt, but what's the actual point of this helicopter shot. Surely just pulling the shot is far easier and more powerful.

The helicopter action looks as if you might injure yourself. Plus the circular motion doesn't look particularly helpful. Does it really generate much power at all? It just seems like an extra bit of hassle.

Back