The match between USA and Ireland at the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in Lauderhill called off due to rain

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The United States is on the verge of securing their place in the Super 8, with their final group match against Ireland scheduled today, Friday, June 14, at the Central Broward Regional Park Stadium Turf Ground in Lauderhill, Florida.

The United States, led by Monank Patel, can qualify for the next stage if they beat Ireland in this game. With three matches yielding 4 points, they are currently in second place and need just one more victory to advance to the Super 8. However, a loss could potentially swing the momentum in Pakistan’s favor.

Ireland, on the other hand, faces a tough road ahead. They must win both their match today and their next match against Pakistan by a huge margin to accumulate 4 points. If they can match the USA’s points but with a superior NNR, Paul Stirling’s team could qualify for the Super 8.

YMGAISR.jpeg

Squads:

Ireland
Squad: Andrew Balbirnie, Paul Stirling(c), Lorcan Tucker(w), Harry Tector, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Gareth Delany, Mark Adair, Barry McCarthy, Joshua Little, Craig Young, Benjamin White, Neil Rock, Graham Hume, Ross Adair

United States Squad: Shayan Jahangir, Steven Taylor, Andries Gous(w), Aaron Jones(c), Nitish Kumar, Corey Anderson, Harmeet Singh, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Jasdeep Singh, Saurabh Netravalkar, Ali Khan, Nosthush Kenjige, Monank Patel, Nisarg Patel, Milind Kumar

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.​

"Heavy rain is forecast for the next three days. The pitches have mostly been under covers and that's unlikely to change. A state of emergency has been declared in five counties, including Broward where the stadium is located. It'll need a miracle even for the curators to simply have a look at the surface underneath."

confirming washout 😐

The match will be washed out not because of the rain but the pathetic drainage facilities at the ground.

The ground is in such a bad state at the moment, you can’t walk anywhere near the outfield.

It’s an associate nation so you can’t really expect much from their stadiums, but Qudrat ka Nizam is working sideways this time.

Pakistan certainly does not deserve to sneak through.

ICC wanted to showcase game in USA

8 games in NY have been pathetic
4 games in Florida likely to be washed out

Other than Dallas leg this has been horrible organizing
It has been saved a bit by the buzz generated by USA doing well.

I think many fans of cricket did enjoy the tussles in NY compared to the flat pitches we have been seeing recently but it would have been a torturous way to introduce someone to cricket for the first time

To be honest it just feels right for the game to be a washout and Pakistan's World Cup journey to end in an anti-climax, considering how badly it's all went so far.

It has been saved a bit by the buzz generated by USA doing well.

I think many fans of cricket did enjoy the tussles in NY compared to the flat pitches we have been seeing recently but it would have been a torturous way to introduce someone to cricket for the first time

They are all packed up with cricketing gear… just not personal stuff, after all ft. Lauderdale offer finest sea food in the nation…so meet n greet’s!

I actually liked the NY pitches, made it a much more competitive cricket with minnows punching above their weights. Isn't this the exact type of cricket Pakistanis love, the mercurial and unpredictable nature of their team( Not this team though, very blah)

And I don't understand why people are sure that Pak will beat IRE (when they had a sub-par performance just a month back) and USA (who have some really good match winners and fielding their heart out) would lose to the IRE.

Seems like wishful thinking rather than actual analysis.

I think they should do it right now so that Pakistan team can pack their bags easily and don't leave anything behind in a hurry.
And then there is eid as well. They should pack their bags and get home before Eid as their relatives must be waiting for the gifts these guys have been buying for few weeks now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be a washout as if non performing players play well in this match they won't get kicked out of the team.

Pakistan don't deserve to go the super 8s all thanks to babar and rizwan and their friends ofcourse.

It will be a washout. Pakistan will be out. The captain and some teammates will be dropped. New players will come in. They will show some glimpses of talent initially in a useless series against some C and D grade teams and will consider themselves world beaters before failing pathetically against good teams in important matches. This cycle will go on and on.

Washout seems likely because the ground's drainage system is poor. Even if there is no rain, they may not be able to play.

Let's see.

And I don't understand why people are sure that Pak will beat IRE (when they had a sub-par performance just a month back) and USA (who have some really good match winners and fielding their heart out) would lose to the IRE.

Seems like wishful thinking rather than actual analysis.
Pakistan have been much better especially in terms of bowling and fielding. Batting has been wobbly.

Pakistan have been much better especially in terms of bowling and fielding. Batting has been wobbly.
Bowling... Sure.
Fielding... Nope
And USA has given a hard time to each team they have played so far.
I would even back USA if they ever play Pak again.
Remember, they chased down a decent total of 160 against the same bowling.

In case you forget, Throughout the game, it was USA , who was in control of the game.

Unfortunately I disagree.

In the India game, yes, bowling was better. Same in Canada game.

However vs USA, we lacked discipline with our bowling. Amir alone in the super over gave up so many wides. Rauf at the death bowled some very poor ones. The field setting for the bowlers, it was not coordinated in the USA game (bowlers weren't bowling to their field placements).

It makes me sad, but we are officially out of the tournament in a few hours. We deserve it. No business losing that USA game.

Tbh we lost both games but a little midas touch and we would have been sitting on top of group

Personally I won't be too bothered if Pakistan won't qualify. I don't want Babar and his gang to continue to escape accountability

Personally I won't be too bothered if Pakistan won't qualify. I don't want Babar and his gang to continue to escape accountability
What about Naqvi for empowering them once again when Zaka Ashraf had done good work to try and stamp it out?

The most important match for Pakistan!
Surely the most "important" match for Pakistan was their OWN game. Twice in this tournament they have lost the game from being well set for victory. Nobody else to blame but themselves and no point saying we are out due to the weather or the venue. The likes of Australia use every game to their advantage. Even saw England yesterday chase their total in 3 overs as they had the mind on nrr. Had it been Pakistan, they would have aimed to knock off 48 in 18 overs so the openers could get match practice 🤣

We will have a game.

Let's stay positive.

But it would be funny if despite our wishes we got a game and USA won anyway
No, we won't. There is rain and there are puddles on the ground. We have good, reliable sources reporting this now.

Hopefully the rain stops in the next hour that gives 3 hours to clean up and a 5 over game!
I know I'm hoping

I actually liked the NY pitches, made it a much more competitive cricket with minnows punching above their weights. Isn't this the exact type of cricket Pakistanis love, the mercurial and unpredictable nature of their team( Not this team though, very blah)
If top teams continue to play on these kind of pitches, its players will learn to adapt...

I disagree, its one thing to have a competitive pitch with movement. This was a lottery pitch with very uneven bounce. which means luck heavily becomes a factor. The matches may be close but they dont accurately reflect the skill of the players

Guess a wash out. Well we deserve it anyway. You can't lose those 2 games and expect luck.

Just hopefully next time in a WC we can play well enough for once.

And this is a world tournament. A tournament where each team is not guaranteed to play all their games. A tournament where weather is a legit 6th team in every group. If each washout gets 2 points then we'll have a 'weather' team qualify from each group.

And this is a world tournament. A tournament where each team is not guaranteed to play all their games. A tournament where weather is a legit 6th team in every group. If each washout gets 2 points then we'll have a 'weather' team qualify from each group.
Pakistan should not have lost to an associate team like USA, if that didn't happen the weather won't matter.

And then bottling a chase of 120 against India with their timid approach.

Oh cmon now bhai…how did we win wc 92? Please blame the players for the position we are in not the weather. Players are more in to kebabs than winning matches.

There should be a back up for global events even in group stages. Maybe 2 extra reserve days and you play all washed out matches at a certain set venue. If it still rains then so be it. Give it a shot atleast

As of now, game is possible. But... anything can happen from now until start of game. We might even see a 5-over shootout.

As of now, game is possible. But... anything can happen from now until start of game. We might even see a 5-over shootout.
How? Ground will be wet with puddles. And there is more rain forecast during the day

Forecast has changed now. Very light rain after 12. Previously they were predicting big rain at 12 which would have made a game impossible

So there is chance of a game

Man, the pct is lucky to have such die hard optimistic fans like here. Wish they realize that and strive to do better...

Almost every world cup in cricket has had a washout since time ancient times!

Back