The match between USA and Ireland at the ICC T20 World Cup 2024 in Lauderhill called off due to rain

If it doesn't rain for the next hour or so. I think only chance is if they opt to play a shorten 5 overs game from the start. As there is rain and plenty of rain predicted in the afternoon.

There should be a back up for global events even in group stages. Maybe 2 extra reserve days and you play all washed out matches at a certain set venue. If it still rains then so be it. Give it a shot atleast
i like this idea. can do double headers for t20 on last 2-3 days of the league stage for all washouts. or 2 double heads on day after last league stage game. thats a good solution vs moving cities, etc.

If it doesn't rain for the next hour or so. I think only chance is if they opt to play a shorten 5 overs game from the start. As there is rain and plenty of rain predicted in the afternoon.

They'll never do that. We might get 10 or 12 overs then it gets rained off.

It should be an option. Particularly when they know rain is coming. If both teams agree then why not?

ICC should look into this option
But USA in this case won't agree with this condition because afterall even 1 point is enough for them. So why would they want to play a short game when a full game could give them 1 point if rain intervenes ?

It’s USA ground staff, they will be in no hurry to get this show on the road

Why would USA agree? They want to play T20, not appease Pakistan cricket
They may not. But it's an option ICC can explore but rain always effect games. There can be scenarios where both playing teams can get done by rain. In that situation it will be better to play a shorten game from the get go.

The ground is so wet you could still swim in it if you wanted to..

Can’t see a match being played on it.

Unless the sun miraculously dries out all the water within the next 30 minutes.

The ground staff are doing an incredible job. The outfield is looking very dry now...

i like this idea. can do double headers for t20 on last 2-3 days of the league stage for all washouts. or 2 double heads on day after last league stage game. thats a good solution vs moving cities, etc.
But as your know icc and bcci will never take a logical option. They will take a convoluted round about illogical option. With climate change more games will be threatened by rain. So they need to be proactive

The ground is so wet you could still swim in it if you wanted to..

Can’t see a match being played on it.

Unless the sun miraculously dries out all the water within the next 30 minutes.
A 5 overs match can start 3 hours later too. who said the match has to start in next 30 minutes so Sun has to dry outfield by then. There are good three hours to dry the outfield as long as it doesn't rain heavily again.

Credit to ICC and ground staff. They really are working very hard to get this ground ready. Pakistan getting knocked out is not in ICC's interests.

Credit to ICC and ground staff. They really are working very hard to get this ground ready. Pakistan getting knocked out is not in ICC's interests.
Kind of unfair to the home team. They have earned their place in the super 8 & Pakistan has no business to be there just for the sake of economics.

with the amount of water i see in puddles, i dont think sun only can dry it. you need some other way to get it sucked out, some pumps or something, super sopper, etc.

Well, if it's not raining ans the sun is out then just get on with it folks! Cricket sometimes looks like it's still 50 years in the past.

big positive update on cricinfo: Good news coming through from Monga: "The ground looks in good condition from afar. The 10am rain hasn't arrived. The forecast isn't yet all clear but for now things are looking good." We may have a game after all

big positive update on cricinfo: Good news coming through from Monga: "The ground looks in good condition from afar. The 10am rain hasn't arrived. The forecast isn't yet all clear but for now things are looking good." We may have a game after all
InshAllah

Our duas are with the Irish.

Amreeka has meddled in our countries success we can't let them meddle with the success of our cricket team.

with the amount of water i see in puddles, i dont think sun only can dry it. you need some other way to get it sucked out, some pumps or something, super sopper, etc.
They are using it now

Just imagine had Amir not choked and bowled a 19 run over we may not have been sitting in such a tense state.

The USA team should complain about player safety, their players shouldn’t have to risk themselves when they have some important games coming up in the Super 8’s

not sure why some people are crying that USA has to play Ireland? They want Icc to give USA free points so they go to the next round?

Lol it's the First World USA now PNG, they would definitely use Pumps and other suction machines to get rid off the water from the field. And for the final drying touch , Sun should do the job that's needed.

Brother every one beats us. Only teams left are Uganda, PNG, Oman… that day wont be too far either!
apologies. I meant both teams have beaten Pakistan, so they might be equal, with USA having edge due to home conditions and better mental space

As a USA supporter I want a game here. And want the USA to beat Ireland and earn the 2 points. Dont want a washout and and a point to qualiify. If you are good enough, you win the game. You are gonna meet way tougher opposition in the super 8 stage anyway

There never was a 10 am rain. There is a 2 pm rain but that might come too late and hopefully 5 overs would already be bowled in the 2nd innings.

If it is a shortened game (5 overs or so) Ireland may fancy their chances as they have more experience. Ireland like England don't like such sluggish pitches, they prosper on flat pitches...

toss is delayed till there is confirmation of game / conditions / start time. as you may decide to change team playing eleven if its a confirmed shortened 10 over game vs 20 over game, etc. hence they don't do toss till its confirmed game and condition of game which makes sense to me.

Glued to minute-by-minute weather updates for the Ireland vs. USA game? Definitely not on my bingo card

Typically a road. But not sure how it will behave after all that rain. USA is used to playing here.

Given current form of Pakistan and Afghanistan... it may be a blessing in disguise....that Pakistan do not make it to next round or Afghanistan might just repeat 2023 ODI world cup result between these 2 teams.
On other hand on a funny note, in case Ire-USA and Ire-Pakistan matches are not happening due to flooding, maybe ICC can arrange a swimming competition, to decide who goes to Super 8 you know in lieu of a bowl out or super over.

A shortened game of say 5 overs each is more of a lottery compared to a full game because USA deserves it. I hope we get full game. If Ireland wins it, good for them. Hope USA wins and knockout the other two teams today.

toss is delayed till there is confirmation of game / conditions / start time. as you may decide to change team playing eleven if its a confirmed shortened 10 over game vs 20 over game, etc. hence they don't do toss till its confirmed game and condition of game which makes sense to me.
Umpires could just call it off too if they feel the outfield is unsafe

What’s the rules on thunder but not rain?

I’ve seen players walk off the field at thunder and lightning in a distance…you can’t be standing on the field if there is thunder in the background?

Pakistan, meanwhile, have opted not to train or offer any media engagements owing to what they called "wet conditions and non-availability of training facilities".

:D

EVeryone is watching this game

Kind of unfair to the home team. They have earned their place in the super 8 & Pakistan has no business to be there just for the sake of economics.
It isnt. They should try as hard as possible to get a game. US should be confident of beating a clueless Ireland and qualifying.

Back