The Middle East Crisis

I don't know much about this, it has been reported in the UK news, but I'm still not sure what it's about other than the Saudis and Iranians appear to be battling for control of Yemen. What the design or purpose of the battle is over I have little idea.

I don't know much about this, it has been reported in the UK news, but I'm still not sure what it's about other than the Saudis and Iranians appear to be battling for control of Yemen. What the design or purpose of the battle is over I have little idea.

Don't think Saudi Arabia can tolerate Iranian/Shia influence right across their borders

Don't think Saudi Arabia can tolerate Iranian/Shia influence right across their borders

Still doesn't tell me much. Why can't they tolerate it? Why are Iran trying to spread influence up to the borders of Saudi Arabia? There seems to be a lot of political undercurrents to the situation none of which are clear to the average person.

Still doesn't tell me much. Why can't they tolerate it? Why are Iran trying to spread influence up to the borders of Saudi Arabia? There seems to be a lot of political undercurrents to the situation none of which are clear to the average person.

I remember reading an article about this, basically most of the Saudi oil is in a region where the Saudi Shia are the majority.

I remember reading an article about this, basically most of the Saudi oil is in a region where the Saudi Shia are the majority.

Interesting. That makes sense, so this is a war over resources like most disputes, which has taken a sectarian slant. But since the Saudi oil is still presumably located within Saudi borders, what difference does whether it's a Shia majority or Sunni?

Moral decline and an increasing of lack of interest in religion in the world has been caused by the fact that the leaders of countries and their religious clerics have given precedence to their own interests over teachings of religion. True religious teachings and values have been corrupted and this has led people away from religion.

Fundamental to Islamic teaching was the need to recognise God Almighty and to serve His Creation.

Islam requires Muslims to fulfil the rights of God Almighty and to be devoted to Him and secondly to fulfill the rights of God’s Creation and to treat others with love and compassion. Indeed, each religion in its original form has taught this and so how can it be said that religion is the cause of the disorder prevalent in the world.

Was religion the cause of either of the two world wars that took place in the 20th Century ? Or were those abhorrent wars based upon a desire for power, conquering lands, geo-political gains and greed ?

Both Muslim nations and the major powers had played a role in undermining the world’s peace. A prime example of this was the arms trade.

No Muslim nation has the ability to produce the state of the art weapons that they possess. Rather, it is the developed nations and economic powers who are producing such destructive weapons and selling them to Muslim nations. Some countries sell to the Governments and some countries send arms to the rebel elements in those same nations.

Saudi Arabia is using weapons purchased from the West to destroy Yemen, which is a small and weak nation.

Certain non-Muslim powers are also acting unjustly in order to pursue their own vested interests and ambitions and this is causing frustrations and restlessness to develop in different countries. Thus injustice is the true root cause of today’s conflicts and wars.

In some countries, there are dictatorships or unjust governments, yet the major powers turn a blind eye to their cruelties, because those governments happen to support them and facilitate the procurement of their interests. Yet, in countries where the leaders or governments do not bend to the whim of the major powers, they are quite happy to support rebel elements or to demand regime change. In truth, there is no difference in the way the respective governments are treating their own people. The material difference is only that in some cases the governments cooperate with the major powers, whilst in others they do not.

Certain governments without considering the potential consequences are selling weapons to some Muslim nations. These weapons often end up in the wrong hands or are used in order to kill innocent civilians.

Saudi Arabia’s war in Yemen is a prime example of injustice and its potential consequences are scary for the entire World.

It is well known that Saudi Arabia is using weapons purchased from the West in its war in Yemen, in which thousands of innocent civilians, including women and children, are being killed and so much destruction is being wrought.

What will be the ultimate result of such arms trading ?
The people of Yemen, whose lives and futures are being destroyed, will not only bear hatred and seek revenge from Saudi Arabia but will also bear hate towards Saudi’s arms suppliers and the West in general.

With no hope or future prospects left, and having witnessed the most horrific brutality, members of their youth will be prone to radicalisation and in this way a new vicious cycle of terrorism and extremism will arise. Are such destructive and devastating consequences worth a few billion dollars ?

International institutions such as the United Nations needed to ensure fairness and equity between members states.

If only the major powers and the international institutions, such as the United Nations, had truly acted upon their founding principles, under all circumstances, then we would not have seen the toxic plague of terrorism infect so many parts of the world. We would not have seen the world’s peace and security repeatedly undermined and destroyed. And we certainly would not have witnessed the huge refugee crisis, which now confounds and frightens the people of Europe and other developed countries.

The United Nations must also play its role in establishing peace in the world, unencumbered by politics, injustice or favouritism.

I hope and pray that Allah the Almighty enables the United Nations and the world’s governments to act justly and fulfil their human obligation so that true and long-lasting peace may be established. The alternative does not bear thinking about, because if we continue as we are then the world is charging madly towards a huge catastrophe in the shape of another world war.

it's the shia/sunni divide. Yemen has a lot of Shias and Saudi being Yemen's neighbor does NOT want a strong Shia presence while Iran does.

Think of it as a mini Islamic Cold War between Sauds and Iran (Sunni vs Shia), instead of going at it h2h directly they are fighting proxy wars.

The war crimes Saudi Arabia are carrying out in Yemen are similar to the war crimes Assad has carried out against his own people. Yet whilst the world goes mad at Assad (and rightly so) the silence is deafening when it comes to Saudi Arabia's actions in Yemen.

don't want to derail the thread but the situation in Syria is not what CNN/BBC tell you it is. Assad is a legitimate elected leader of Syria post 2014 elections...The Saudis and the west have sponsored terrorism in Syria and Assad has fought it (not denying that part of the population also did rebel). Eva Bartlett is one Canadian journalist that has done extensive work in Syria and is factual. Here's a video to get an idea on the ground reality.

Think of it as a mini Islamic Cold War between Sauds and Iran (Sunni vs Shia), instead of going at it h2h directly they are fighting proxy wars.

its more than a cold war - lives being destroyed.

So glad we are not Arabs, or part of Middle East. Those people crazy.

So glad that Pakistan didn't send its military to fight this "war". Saudis hace created biggest humanitarian crisis out of nothing. The sooner their wealth runs out the better for humanity.

So glad we are not Arabs, or part of Middle East. Those people crazy.

But we are part of it, whether we like it or not, Arabs and Persian war affects us directly whether you live in UK, US or Pakistan/India. Why else would we be discussing it here? I don't see any threads about Greece or Spain economy going down the toilet, or how global warming will affect Siberia.

its more than a cold war - lives being destroyed.

Lives were destroyed during the Cold War as well but on a bigger scale. Strings were being pulled by the US and Russia even though they don't go at it h2h, same thing is happening with Saud between Iran.

It is estimated that the lifting of American backed sanctions against Iran will free up to $125 billion in foreign exchange assets worldwide (money held for years in accounts in China, India, South Korea and other Iranian trading partners). Iran will undoubtedly use some of this to strengthen its strategic military allies like Hezbollah and the Houthis. This will only make the Iran-Saudi wars in Syria, Yemen and elsewhere worse.

Question: Could someone explain, how is Iran influencing in Yemen as Iran cannot access Yemen through land or through sea?
Yemen001.jpg

It is estimated that the lifting of American backed sanctions against Iran will free up to $125 billion in foreign exchange assets worldwide (money held for years in accounts in China, India, South Korea and other Iranian trading partners). Iran will undoubtedly use some of this to strengthen its strategic military allies like Hezbollah and the Houthis. This will only make the Iran-Saudi wars in Syria, Yemen and elsewhere worse.

If Iran has any intelligence they would spend every penny of that in Iran. How unfortunate that worst countries have the most wealth.

Question: Could someone explain, how is Iran influencing in Yemen as Iran cannot access Yemen through land or through sea?

Lot of the smuggling has been through Oman. Some of these trucks intercepted by Yemen's military have had Omani license plates.

Yemen believe Oman have overlooked support for the Houthi cause in Dhofar, which's an Omani province bordering Yemen, and has speculated that Iranian weapons may have been stored at the Salalah airport in Dhofar, and on a number of small islands off the coast of the province.

According to Conflict Armament Research, Iran have also smuggled weapons through Somalia as well as via the Arabian Sea. Several shipments of Iranian weapons have been intercepted by the US Navy since April 2015.

Iranians didn't start the conflict in Yemen, and Saudis did initially exaggerate their role, but Iran have looked to consolidate Houthi gains especially once Houthis took Sanaa in 2014.

don't want to derail the thread but the situation in Syria is not what CNN/BBC tell you it is. Assad is a legitimate elected leader of Syria post 2014 elections...The Saudis and the west have sponsored terrorism in Syria and Assad has fought it (not denying that part of the population also did rebel). Eva Bartlett is one Canadian journalist that has done extensive work in Syria and is factual. Here's a video to get an idea on the ground reality.

Assad is no legitimate leader. He got power through his dad who was also a well known war criminal. His family do not want to relinquish power. 300,000 dead and he still does not get it.

He has only survived in power because of Russia and proxy Iranian forces otherwise his regime would have collapsed some time ago.

Lot of the smuggling has been through Oman. Some of these trucks intercepted by Yemen's military have had Omani license plates.

Yemen believe Oman have overlooked support for the Houthi cause in Dhofar, which's an Omani province bordering Yemen, and has speculated that Iranian weapons may have been stored at the Salalah airport in Dhofar, and on a number of small islands off the coast of the province.

According to Conflict Armament Research, Iran have also smuggled weapons through Somalia as well as via the Arabian Sea. Several shipments of Iranian weapons have been intercepted by the US Navy since April 2015.

Iranians didn't start the conflict in Yemen, and Saudis did initially exaggerate their role, but Iran have looked to consolidate Houthi gains especially once Houthis took Sanaa in 2014.

I am not denying what you said...but As Oman do not share border with Iran so I would have to assume that Omani govt is also part of this weapon smuggling.

As Oman is part of GCC, I would say that they would not side with Iran on this.

Weapons that Iran provided before this conflict started should have been long gone.

I have found below, but nothing concrete in it:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-yemen-security-iran-idUSKCN12K0CX

Assad is no legitimate leader. He got power through his dad who was also a well known war criminal. His family do not want to relinquish power. 300,000 dead and he still does not get it.

He has only survived in power because of Russia and proxy Iranian forces otherwise his regime would have collapsed some time ago.

Assad is not a king, he is a president.

again, I don't want to derail the thread. I get he inherited the throne after his father but what about the elections that happened in 2014? Just because no famous news outlet mentions or writes about it doesn't mean they didn't take place. Assad is as legitimate as Nawaz Sharif or Trump. If the uprising in Syria was as real as we're told to be then why did the Syrian people wait decades to stand up against Assad and his family? And why is it that only a few Syrians today actually protest against Assad compared to the millions that don't?

Also, I would like to know where you got the 300k dead number from and its authenticity

again, I don't want to derail the thread. I get he inherited the throne after his father but what about the elections that happened in 2014? Just because no famous news outlet mentions or writes about it doesn't mean they didn't take place. Assad is as legitimate as Nawaz Sharif or Trump. If the uprising in Syria was as real as we're told to be then why did the Syrian people wait decades to stand up against Assad and his family? And why is it that only a few Syrians today actually protest against Assad compared to the millions that don't?

Also, I would like to know where you got the 300k dead number from and its authenticity

Ok firstly please do not believe these elections as free and fair elections.

When was the last time there were such fair elections held in the Middle East ?? They are bogus elections and Assads party would win every time because they don't want to lose power. They have had power for over 50 years and so there are never giving up until they leave or kicked out.

You need to understand why the protests started in the first place and you can google that up. There was no armed resistance when it first stated but Assads cronies started kidnapping and torturing anyone that was demonstrating against their rule. Children were being tortured and killed so this wa stage catylist for it being armed.

As for the 300,000 figure this is a well known independent estimate on how many have died. I hope you are not one into conspiracies and believe it's much lower.

Ok firstly please do not believe these elections as free and fair elections.

When was the last time there were such fair elections held in the Middle East ?? They are bogus elections and Assads party would win every time because they don't want to lose power. They have had power for over 50 years and so there are never giving up until they leave or kicked out.

You need to understand why the protests started in the first place and you can google that up. There was no armed resistance when it first stated but Assads cronies started kidnapping and torturing anyone that was demonstrating against their rule. Children were being tortured and killed so this wa stage catylist for it being armed.

As for the 300,000 figure this is a well known independent estimate on how many have died. I hope you are not one into conspiracies and believe it's much lower.

I hope you're not as naive as you sound.

It's a fact that Saudi and the west have sponsored rebellion in Syria since the mid 2000s...just like they did in Iran, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya etc..as far as conspiracy theories go, they can take a hike. I'm not interested in them. Tons of people have died and Assad is not an angel. But where were these protesters a decade ago when things in Syria were fine? Assad and family have ruled for years and it wasn't until the west funded rebellion (like they did in the 2009 Iranian elections) that these protesters propped up. Where were the Egyptian protesters during Moubarak's tenure when there wasn't any external involvement in the countries affair?

Anyways, I'm not interested in what you believe or don't believe. Nor do I want to debate...just make sure you know where your information is coming from before you question others. I have many close Syrian friends and live in a city with the largest Syrian refugee population in the US..I personally know 2 of them now..go talk to some people and find out what actually is going on in that country.

Middle East Crisis

Merged Syrian and Yemeni crisis threads due to an overlap in discussion.

This thread can now be considered a general discussion thread with regards to crises across the Middle East.

sshakir411 said:
just make sure you know where your information is coming from before you question others. I have many close Syrian friends and live in a city with the largest Syrian refugee population in the US..I personally know 2 of them now..go talk to some people and find out what actually is going on in that country.

Hey bro what city is that? Lets say someone can't find a Syrian refugee, how should that person learn about what is going on in Syria? What news source is credible? Also could you ask your refugee friends that why they moved to the same west that sponsored terrorists and ruined his/her country?

Last edited:
Hey bro what city is that? Lets say someone can't find a Syrian refugee, how should that person learn about what is going on in Syria? What news source is credible? Also could you ask your refugee friends that why they moved to the same west that sponsored terrorists and ruined his/her country?

My car mechanic is from Syria, he is Christian and still got family in Raqqa.
As per him, Assad is OK, and he was very pleased with turks.

However syriac is big, with so many areas still under control by different factions so we should not expet everyone to like one party.

GCC + west wanted Assad to go and they gambled with Syrian people, but after so many years, end result is that Syria is now closer/dependent to Iran and Russia.

With Russian puppet in white house, I see Russian influence growing in the region.

It's a fact that Saudi and the west have sponsored rebellion in Syria since the mid 2000s...just like they did in Iran, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya etc..as far as conspiracy theories go, they can take a hike. I'm not interested in them. Tons of people have died and Assad is not an angel. But where were these protesters a decade ago when things in Syria were fine? Assad and family have ruled for years and it wasn't until the west funded rebellion (like they did in the 2009 Iranian elections) that these protesters propped up. Where were the Egyptian protesters during Moubarak's tenure when there wasn't any external involvement in the countries affair?

Anyways, I'm not interested in what you believe or don't believe. Nor do I want to debate...just make sure you know where your information is coming from before you question others. I have many close Syrian friends and live in a city with the largest Syrian refugee population in the US..I personally know 2 of them now..go talk to some people and find out what actually is going on in that country.

Excuse me it's you that sounds incredibly misinformed when you come up with conspiracies that it's the evil west and the Saudis that caused all the trouble Syria.

What a load of baloney because if you did some simple research you will know
the uprising started not by the west but ordinary people protesting against the Assads rampant corruption, nepotism and the police state doing as it fits.

Did you know his father smashed a whole a neighbourhood block killing tens of thousands in Hama in the early 80s ?? That's where some of the main protests were because people do not forget when their loved ones get killed in such a mass hedious way.

And oh how convenient you don't want to debate anymore !! Why ??? Becuase you don't want people to challenge some of your nonsense ??

And lastly stop taking for the Syrian people, you do not. There are many Syrians who have settled in London and my home towns and every single one I know hates Assads guts and his despotic regime.

My car mechanic is from Syria, he is Christian and still got family in Raqqa.
As per him, Assad is OK, and he was very pleased with turks.

Most Christians, Alawites and Druze support Assad, hardly a secret. They have to because rebel groups are sectarian and divisive, not nationalist. Opposition will do well if they were to drop their anti Alawite stance and focus on Assad alone.

Excuse me it's you that sounds incredibly misinformed when you come up with conspiracies that it's the evil west and the Saudis that caused all the trouble Syria.

the uprising started not by the west but ordinary people protesting against the Assads rampant corruption, nepotism and the police state doing as it fits.

Did you know his father smashed a whole a neighbourhood block killing tens of thousands in Hama in the early 80s ?? That's where some of the main protests were because people do not forget when their loved ones get killed in such a mass hedious way.

And oh how convenient you don't want to debate anymore !! Why ??? Becuase you don't want people to challenge some of your nonsense ??

And lastly stop taking for the Syrian people, you do not. There are many Syrians who have settled in London and my home towns and every single one I know hates Assads guts and his despotic regime.

Not that your, mine or any others opinion change the reality on the ground or the facts but, you believe the "Evil" West and Saudi had nothing to do with this conflict? If not then why are they supporting anything and everything against Asad, Iran, and Russia?

Most Christians, Alawites and Druze support Assad, hardly a secret. They have to because rebel groups are sectarian and divisive, not nationalist. Opposition will do well if they were to drop their anti Alawite stance and focus on Assad alone.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middl...er-presidential-vote-2014528102522416850.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...looks-like-in-lebanon/?utm_term=.4e3d4a50eac6

http://www.globalresearch.ca/syrian...l-elections-massive-support-for-assad/5385285

Refugees, from all religions and sects, living in lebanon also voted for Bashar.

Did you seriously just post global research link as a source?:amir3 Even RT and PressTv are more credible. Trust me I used to go through these sites myself but they are waste of time. Next you will be posting Rania Khalek as your source. Btw search for Al Masdar news, you will like it. Now I get where you learn the crazy stuff from. Please don't do it again, you're supposed to be a good poster.

Nice to see "Syrians" practicing democracy in Lebanon. Assad also has a huge following in Lebanon too. Hopefully one day we will see a true democracy in Syria, that has respect for human rights, minorities and free press.

Did you seriously just post global research link as a source?:amir3 Even RT and PressTv are more credible. Trust me I used to go through these sites myself but they are waste of time. Next you will be posting Rania Khalek as your source. Btw search for Al Masdar news, you will like it. Now I get where you learn the crazy stuff from. Please don't do it again, you're supposed to be a good poster.

Nice to see "Syrians" practicing democracy in Lebanon. Assad also has a huge following in Lebanon too. Hopefully one day we will see a true democracy in Syria, that has respect for human rights, minorities and free press.

There is also AJ and WP links. Which I assume are not pro Assad.

Why should any syrian refugee in lebanon vote for Assad esp in 2014?

I have few arab friends and I got an impression that they genuinely like their kings/general etc.

Earlier this year, I missed an opportunity to meet freshly migrated syrian kids.

There is also AJ and WP links. Which I assume are not pro Assad.

But you did post other link with the intention to mislead me. Read through the WP link.

Inside Syria, the civil war will likely make it impossible for many to vote. More than 9 million people have been displaced in the country, and few people in rebel-held areas are expected to vote. While there are two candidates on the ballot other than Assad, most opposition leaders were stopped from running by new election rules, and the two viable candidates are not well-known.
That is not free and fair election. Opposition wasn't even allowed to campaign. Clearly everyone didn't get to vote. How do we even know people who voted were actual Syrians? Were they able to register without any intimidation or discrimination? No clue. There are so many other things and they are not possible without peace in Syria. There is no democracy in middle east. It's useless and waste of time to prove it.

Why should any syrian refugee in lebanon vote for Assad esp in 2014?

I have few arab friends and I got an impression that they genuinely like their kings/general etc.

Earlier this year, I missed an opportunity to meet freshly migrated syrian kids.
And now about RT, if I have no way to independently verify a piece, then i'll take RT over CNN.

Regarding presstv, they do not criticize Iranian regime. Just like al Arabia or JP. But press tv covers other topics fine, imo..

Not that your, mine or any others opinion change the reality on the ground or the facts but, you believe the "Evil" West and Saudi had nothing to do with this conflict? If not then why are they supporting anything and everything against Asad, Iran, and Russia?

I never said they had nothing to with it now, of course they are involved like Saudis, Russians and Iranians in this mess.

My point was these players had nothing to do with it when the demonstrations first started against Assad. Assad decided to respond against these protests with mass detentions, kidnappings, torture and murder and it was this catylist that started the armed conflict.

But we are part of it, whether we like it or not, Arabs and Persian war affects us directly whether you live in UK, US or Pakistan/India. Why else would we be discussing it here? I don't see any threads about Greece or Spain economy going down the toilet, or how global warming will affect Siberia.

Why? IMO I see only two reasons why it could affect India,the labor population that moved to these countries and oil prices.

The war doesn't concern Indians,Saudi-IRAN the two countries that probably might matter to Indian Muslims are not going through chaos either,so no reason for atleast people in India to be affected by this.

For an average Indian if the oil isn't coming from Yemen we will buy from IRAN/Gulf but the supply would stay,neither are these refugees ever going to apply for Indian citizenship.

From a human POV one might be bothered but the whole world usually feels chaotic from Africa to middle east but so is global warming animal extinction.

Not sure why it affects Pakistani citizens either unless for same reasons or being part of Islamic Military alliance?

Last edited:
But you did post other link with the intention to mislead me. Read through the WP link.

That is not free and fair election. Opposition wasn't even allowed to campaign. Clearly everyone didn't get to vote. How do we even know people who voted were actual Syrians? Were they able to register without any intimidation or discrimination? No clue. There are so many other things and they are not possible without peace in Syria. There is no democracy in middle east. It's useless and waste of time to prove it.

My point was only about syrian refugees voting in lebanon, what can Assad do in lebanon?

I would be politically naive to discard this very important data point.

the uprising started not by the west but ordinary people protesting against the Assads rampant corruption,
nepotism and the police state doing as it fits.

I will take everything you said as true if you can please point me to the research that proves the bold part above is accurate. Please share this 'research' and we can continue this debate forward. Latest round of Wikileaks say otherwise, but I'll let you point me in the right direction.

I never said they had nothing to with it now, of course they are involved like Saudis, Russians and Iranians in this mess.

My point was these players had nothing to do with it when the demonstrations first started against Assad. Assad decided to respond against these protests with mass detentions, kidnappings, torture and murder and it was this catylist that started the armed conflict.

Wikileaks prove this to be nonfactual. First armed resistant that was started was directly funded by the West and Turkey was responsible in allowing that to take place. This the reason why we've seen a rise in attacks in Turkey just recently. Assad is not the nicest man, I'll give you that but there is no proof that he did any of the things you mentioned to peaceful protesters. Zero evidence other than some isolated videos that have no proof of being authentic as proved by Eva Bartlett. There is tremendous amounts of misinformation on the issue

Israeli rocket hits major air base in Damascus, says Syrian army
The Syrian army has accused Israel of firing rockets that hit a major military airport in a “flagrant” attack outside Damascus, warning Tel Aviv of severe repercussions.

The explosions were heard in the capital, and a large plume of smoke could be seen rising from the area, while video footage circulated online showing flames leaping from parts of the Mezzah air base compound.

Syrian state television quoted the army as saying several rockets were fired from an area near Lake Tiberias in northern Israel just after midnight, before landing in the compound of the air base used by President Bashar al-Assad's elite Republican Guards.

“Syrian army command and armed forces warn Israel of the repercussions of the flagrant attack and stresses its continued fight against [this] terrorism and amputate the arms of the perpetrators,” the army command said in a statement.
President Assad has repeatedly vowed to take the country back from "terrorists"— a term used to describe all opposition groups.

It was the third such Israeli strike into Syria recently, the Syrian government claimed.

It remains unclear whether there are any casualties of the alleged attacks, which caused fierce fires.

Earlier, state television said several major explosions hit Mezzah military airport's compound and ambulances were rushed to the area.

The airport had been a base used to fire rockets at former rebel-held areas in the suburbs of Damascus.

Tel Aviv has previously neither confirmed nor denied involvement in striking targets inside Syria and it did not immediately give an indication of whether it was behind the most recent rocket attack.

But it is widely believed that Israel has targeted the positions and weapons shipments of Lebanon's Hezbollah group since civil war broke out in the country in 2011.

The Iran-backed group, which fought a short war with Israel in 2006, has sent thousands of fighter to Syria in support of President Assad's forces.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israeli-rockets-syria-air-base-damascus-army-bashar-al-assad-republican-guard-mezza-a7525046.html

Looks like S-300 missile system stationed in Syria is not good enough to defend Assad.

When so much has happened, it doesnt matter if you were once a legitimate leader or not. You have to relinquish power for the sake of the people.

If you are serving the people, why would you cling to power while causing their destruction even at the hand of your enemies.

I have said it before and I will say it again, this is simply a proxy war between two factions.

One the one side you have the Arab Monarchs, USA and a few western countries.. While on the other side you have Syra, Iran and Russia.

The war was instigated by Rebel groups funded by Saudis in coalition with America. I live in the west and even I am well aware of this.

READ WIKILEAKS FOR GODS SAKE.

I will leave you with three links for the ignorant or uninformed, after reading them, do further research and come to your own unbiased opinions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Iraq-Syria_pipeline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar–Turkey_pipeline

https://twitter.com/julianassange/status/834503650043101185?lang=en

When so much has happened, it doesnt matter if you were once a legitimate leader or not. You have to relinquish power for the sake of the people.

If you are serving the people, why would you cling to power while causing their destruction even at the hand of your enemies.

Because if he relinquishes the power it will quickly turn into a mad maxesque wasteland, a la Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan

Because if he relinquishes the power it will quickly turn into a mad maxesque wasteland, a la Iraq, Libya, Afghanistan

It already is such a wasteland. I'm surprised you dont see that after years of carnage!

It already is such a wasteland. I'm surprised you dont see that after years of carnage!

Not in government controlled areas.

Usually the areas you speak of have been taken over by rebels and extremists or it is currently being fought over.

If it's true, as reported, that the latest chemical attacks came from the air then it's very likely it was Assad's regime. The last time I checked ISIS and all the other Jihadi groups don't have an Air Force.

But, Assad has been winning the war in recent months and even international pressure had eased off - it beggars belief that he would launch such an attack at this time.

If it's true, as reported, that the latest chemical attacks came from the air then it's very likely it was Assad's regime. The last time I checked ISIS and all the other Jihadi groups don't have an Air Force.

But, Assad has been winning the war in recent months and even international pressure had eased off - it beggars belief that he would launch such an attack at this time.

As per Russians, planes hit the weapon depot of rebels.
Plus, there is no reason for Assad to use chemicals ...specially when he is clearly winning.

Not in government controlled areas.

Usually the areas you speak of have been taken over by rebels and extremists or it is currently being fought over.

Have you heard the syrian refugees? All of them talk about brutalities committed by the Assad Regime which they escape from.

Have you heard the syrian refugees? All of them talk about brutalities committed by the Assad Regime which they escape from.

incorrect.

vast majority of Syrian refuges living in Lebanon voted for Assad in recent referendum.

Links are available in this thread.

incorrect.

vast majority of Syrian refuges living in Lebanon voted for Assad in recent referendum.

Links are available in this thread.

Correct. Most Syrians would support Assad a hundred times over before these mercenary rebels.

There are obviously issues they have with the government, however does that mean it should be toppled via Civil War with millions killed? I think not.

I have said it before and I will say it again, this is simply a proxy war between two factions.

One the one side you have the Arab Monarchs, USA and a few western countries.. While on the other side you have Syra, Iran and Russia.

The war was instigated by Rebel groups funded by Saudis in coalition with America. I live in the west and even I am well aware of this.

READ WIKILEAKS FOR GODS SAKE.

I will leave you with three links for the ignorant or uninformed, after reading them, do further research and come to your own unbiased opinions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Iraq-Syria_pipeline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar–Turkey_pipeline

https://twitter.com/julianassange/status/834503650043101185?lang=en

The one email that explains the so called "civil war" in Syria.

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/18328#efmADMAFf

CIA has been stoking sectarianism in Syria since 2006 in hopes to start a civil war to take out Assad.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/wikile...nned-overthrow-of-syrian-govt-in-2006/221784/
https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/06DAMASCUS5399_a.html

Saddam, Gaddafi and now Assad all made the grave mistake of not being pro-Israel and Gaddafi was even mad enough to suggest a gold standard for his country and alternative to US Dollars for petrolium trading. Can't expect CIA/Mossad to sit idly by. I'm surprised Assad has survived this long, to be honest.

Iraqi Kurds to hold independence referendum in September
The date was set at a meeting in Irbil chaired by President Massoud Barzani.
A statement said voting would take place in the three provinces that make up the region, and "areas of Kurdistan outside the region's administration".
There was no immediate comment from Iraq's central government, but it has urged Kurds not to hold a referendum.

Moves towards outright independence have historically been opposed by the governments of neighbouring Iran, Turkey and Syria, as well as by the US.
In April, senior Kurdish official Hoshyar Zebari told Reuters news agency that a "yes" vote would not necessarily mean independence would be declared.
Mr Zebari said it would merely help Kurds press their case for "the best deal" on self-determination once so-called Islamic State (IS) had been defeated in Iraq.
Kurdish Peshmerga fighters have played a major role in the US-backed campaign against the jihadist group, which seized large parts of northern Iraq in 2014.
But while driving IS militants out of the country, the Peshmerga have taken control of disputed territory claimed by both Kurds and the central government.

It includes the city of Kirkuk and the towns of Makhmour, Khanaqin and Sinjar - locations where President Barzani's senior assistant Hemin Hawrami declared voting would take place in September.
Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi has said holding an independence referendum now would be neither in the Kurdistan Region's interest nor Iraq's.
"The desire of our Kurdish brothers to create a country of their own is their right... and nobody has the right to deter them," he was quoted as saying by the Kurdish Rudaw news agency in April.

"But holding a referendum at this time is not right as the war [against IS] still rages, the region's situation is not suitable, and some neighbouring countries believe this move poses a threat to the nation's security themselves."
The head of Iraq's ruling Shia coalition, which includes Mr Abadi's Dawa party, meanwhile warned against any "unilateral" moves in the disputed areas.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40191713

Interesting and important event after ISIS losses all of its territory. But this might even lead to more conflict in near future, not only in Iraq but Syria, Iran and Turkey. Turkey has good relations with Iraqi Kurdistan but I wonder if they are ok with this.

It's not as if that Syria and Egypt had no issues before the mid 2000s and were paragons of peace and prosperity. Both were being ruled by iron fisted dictators who cut down civil liberties and promoted nepotism and cronyism. More importantly the underlying ethnic and religious tensions created by the artificial borders of Sykes picot were alway there, just that they had been repressed through force. In Syria, Assad, an Alawite had been ruling over a majority sunni population that felt it was being marginalized and perhaps rightly so. Not to say that sunnis and Shias did not live together peacefully but you can never totally eliminate ethnic and religious differences. When the Arab spring swept the Middle East these differences came to the surface and led to wide unrest. It is very simplistic to say it's just KSA or US funding the conflict when almost all major powers are trying to exploit the conflict through their proxies for their own benefit.

Looks like the Americans are planning their next attack - ironically (or maybe not) it comes days after Kushner returned from a 'peace mission' to Riyadh and Tel Aviv.

The US says Syria's government appears to be preparing for a chemical weapons attack and has warned that it will "pay a very heavy price" if one takes place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40413563

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Any further attacks done to the people of Syria will be blamed on Assad, but also on Russia & Iran who support him killing his own people.</p>— Nikki Haley (@nikkihaley) <a href="https://twitter.com/nikkihaley/status/879528793135878145">27 June 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At least 100 civilians killed by US-led air strikes over the past 48 hours in Syria's Raqqa <a href="https://t.co/HX4TRgvVJg">https://t.co/HX4TRgvVJg</a> <a href="https://t.co/ZpfocbwYqr">pic.twitter.com/ZpfocbwYqr</a></p>— Al Jazeera English (@AJEnglish) <a href="https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/899953088966139905">August 22, 2017</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">These people aren't less than those killed in Barcelona. Ask yourselves why the perpetrators won't be hunted down and shot <a href="https://t.co/OnONBH6btM">https://t.co/OnONBH6btM</a></p>— Bilal Abdul Kareem (@BilalKareem) <a href="https://twitter.com/BilalKareem/status/899987919498338304">August 22, 2017</a></blockquote>

Turkish backed Rebels have captured most of the Afrin district including the Afrin city from YPG. Well Afrin’s fate was sealed after YPG decided to takeover Tal Rifaat and then YPG/SDF moved west of Euphrates. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/03/free-syrian-army-group-captures-afrin-city-180318081430817.html

There was widespread looting by the Rebels after they captured the city. Rebel groups such as Jaish al-Sharqiya also executed an unarmed YPG fighter and some prisoners were also beaten up. Turkey will have to put an end to this if they don’t want any kind of insurgency after the operation. On the postive side Afrin city and Jinderes Town largely came out unscathed so life should return soon. After OP Olive Brach next Turkish target will probably be either HTS or Manbij area controlled by YPG.

Meanwhile Syrian Regime and allies have captured most of the Eastern Ghouta pocket in Damascus and will soon take over rest of the pocket. ISIS captured parts of Al-Qadam district in Damascus(thanks to Regime and its allies for ignoring this pocket for so long)after the Rebels withdrew from it and Regime moved in. In Iraq and Syrian desert they are conducting hit and run attacks. Few weeks ago Iraq intercepted a weapon shipment outside Mosul. Watch out for the Kirkuk, Tikrit and Mosul triangle.

Last edited:
Israel finally confirms that it destroyed Syrian regime’s nuclear reactor in 2007. According to the link in the tweet, Israel believed North Korea, Pakistan and a third country were helping the Regime to build the nuclear reactor. Some interesting information.

The view that prevailed in Israel at the time was that keeping news of the strike as quiet as possible would help Syrian dictator Bashar Assad save face and prevent him from feeling he had to retaliate, which could have led to all-out war, something an Israel still reeling from the painful 2006 Second Lebanon War desperately wanted to avoid. Israeli officials refer to this policy as giving Assad a “zone of denial.”
Olmert was concerned that Assad would stall the negotiations for long enough for the Syrians to bring the reactor online, and told Bush his “strategy is very disturbing to me.”
With the US unwilling to conduct a strike against the Syrian reactor, Olmert and Israel’s top defense officials set to work preparing to carry out the raid themselves.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ending a decade of silence, Israel reveals it blew up Assad’s nuclear reactor <br><br>Here's the footage:<a href="https://t.co/dmx2eQuCx0">https://t.co/dmx2eQuCx0</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@timesofisrael</a> <a href="https://t.co/oA7eDNXSHp">pic.twitter.com/oA7eDNXSHp</a></p>— Judah Ari Gross (@JudahAriGross) <a href="https://twitter.com/JudahAriGross/status/976300061314334720?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 21, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Da1wSDmX0AAPkJO.jpg:large

People displaced from Douma, Eastern Ghouta will live in these camps set up in Aleppo’s countryside.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="ar" dir="rtl"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AC%D8%B2%D9%8A%D8%B1%D8%A9_%D8%B3%D9%88%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%A7?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#الجزيرة_سوريا</a> | مخيمات لايواء المهجرين من مدينة <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/%D8%AF%D9%88%D9%85%D8%A7?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#دوما</a> بريف <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/%D8%AD%D9%84%D8%A8?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#حلب</a> <br>تصوير : محمود حسانو <a href="https://t.co/cIeQCDYega">pic.twitter.com/cIeQCDYega</a></p>— الجزيرة سوريا (@AJA_Syria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AJA_Syria/status/985565333170937856?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 15, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

According to a Turkish news agency about 60,000 people have been displaced so far from the area.
https://aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/22nd-convoy-from-syrias-douma-arrives-in-al-bab/1119065

Syria war: The online activists pushing conspiracy theories
As the investigation continues into another alleged chemical attack in Syria, one group of influential online activists is busy spreading their version of events.

Inspectors from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) are attempting to access the previously rebel-held town of Douma, where medical organisations and rescue workers say President Bashar al-Assad's forces dropped bombs filled with toxic chemicals in an attack on 7 April, killing more than 40 people.

The Syrian government and its key ally, Russia, say the incident was staged. But the US, UK and France - who support the opposition to Mr Assad - say they are confident that chlorine and possibly a nerve agent were used.

Despite the uncertainty about what happened in Douma, a cluster of influential social media activists is certain that it knows what occurred on 7 April.

They've seized on a theory being floated by Russian officials and state-owned media outlets that the attacks were "staged" or were a "false flag" operation, carried out by jihadist groups or spies in order to put the blame on the Assad government and provide a justification for Western intervention.

The group includes activists and people who call themselves "independent journalists", and several have Twitter followings reaching into the tens or hundreds of thousands.
The activists call themselves "anti-war", but as they generally back the Syrian government's military operations against rebel forces seeking to overthrow Mr Assad and Russian air strikes carried out in support, it might be more accurate to describe them as "anti-Western intervention" or "pro-Syrian government".

According to their narrative, international media organisations across the political spectrum, along with human rights organisations, are somehow covertly aligned with Western governments, Saudi Arabia, the Islamic State group and al-Qaeda and taking part in a secretive plot to take over Syria.

The network of activists includes people like Vanessa Beeley. She has more than 30,000 Twitter followers and writes for a news outlet that the website Media Bias/Fact Check calls a "conspiracy and conjecture site" that has "an extreme right bias".

In response to a list of questions, she called BBC Trending's story a "blatant attempt" to "silence independent journalism" and repeated unsubstantiated claims about alleged chemical weapons attacks.

Influential accounts

Beeley gives talks to fringe groups and makes appearances on media outlets including state-owned Russian channel RT.

But in the online conversation about Syria there are more influential activists, about whom much less is known.

Sarah Abdallah (@sahouraxo on Twitter) has more than 125,000 followers, among them more than 250 journalists from mainstream media outlets. Her follower count is comparable to BBC journalists who regularly report on Syria, such as BBC Middle East Editor Jeremy Bowen (167,000) and BBC Chief International Correspondent Lyse Doucet (142,000).

In addition to pictures of herself, Sarah Abdallah tweets constant pro-Russia and pro-Assad messages, with a dollop of retweeting mostly aimed at attacking Barack Obama, other US Democrats and Saudi Arabia.

In her Twitter profile she describes herself as an "Independent Lebanese geopolitical commentator" but she has almost no online presence or published stories or writing away from social media platforms. A personal blog linked to by her account has no posts.

Her tweets have been quoted by mainstream news outlets, but a Google News search indicates that she has not written any articles in either English or Arabic.

She refused to comment several times when approached by BBC Trending and did not respond to specific requests to comment on this story in particular.

White Helmets

The Sarah Abdallah account is, according to a recent study by the online research firm Graphika, one of the most influential social media accounts in the online conversation about Syria, and specifically in pushing misinformation about a 2017 chemical weapons attack and the Syria Civil Defence, whose rescue workers are widely known as the "White Helmets".

The White Helmets operate in rebel-held areas. They have been one of the sources that Western media outlets, including the BBC, have quoted about alleged chemical attacks in Syria. With regard to the incident in Douma, the BBC has not been able independently to verify the group's reports.

Graphika chief executive John Kelly says his company's analysis showed distinct patterns emerging.

"When you're looking at these disinformation campaigns, a lot of the same characters show up for every party," he told BBC Trending.

Graphika was commissioned to prepare a report on online chatter by The Syria Campaign, a UK-based advocacy group organisation which campaigns for a democratic future for Syria and supports the White Helmets. The White Helmets have been the subject of two Oscar-nominated documentary films and have been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Graphika found 20 million messages about the White Helmets, split between tweets in support and in opposition. Among the opponents, Kelly says, Sarah Abdallah was "by far the most influential", followed by Vanessa Beeley.

The firm found that Sarah Abdallah's account was primarily followed by a number of different interest clusters: supporters of pro-Palestinian causes, Russians and Russian allies, white nationalists and those from the extremist alt-right, conservative American Trump supporters, far-right groups in Europe and conspiracy theorists.

These groups were instrumental in making the hashtag #SyriaHoax trend after the chemical weapons attack in the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun in April 2017.

That hashtag, pushed by Sarah Abdallah and influential American conservative activists, became a worldwide trend on Twitter. Many of those tweeting it claimed that the chemical weapons attack was faked or a hoax.

Twitter/@sahouraxo
Beeley said the 2017 attack had "been debunked by a number of highly respected analysts and experts." She alleged that evidence "points to the White Helmets as a propaganda construct" and asked, via email: "Why has the BBC never carried out an investigation into the White Helmets?"

Experts from a joint UN-OPCW mission said in October 2017 that they were confident a Syrian Air Force jet dropped munitions containing sarin on Khan Sheikhoun, dismissing statements from Russia that the jet had fired conventional munitions at a rebel chemical weapons depot.

Drowned out

The difficulty in reporting on the ground in Syria has opened up an information vacuum which has been partially filled by highly partisan sources, according to Scott Lucas, a professor of international politics at the University of Birmingham and editor of news and analysis site EA Worldview,

"None of it is journalism; none of it is really based on solid independent reporting," Lucas says.

"It is absolutely right to question all narratives, including official narratives of what is happening," he says. "The key is that you don't actually start with a narrative, you start with the facts and you establish what may not be true and what may even be disinformation.

"The danger we face is, unreliable information is now being taken up by more established - and what we would think of as - more reliable outlets," he says.

Syria 'chemical attack': What we know

And although the activists' follower accounts continue to grow, there is one indication that their influence online might be on the decline compared with last year.

In the hours after the alleged attack in Douma, "Syria" was a top trending term on Twitter, but the messages by pro-Assad activists were drowned out by reports from a range of news outlets.

The hashtag #SyriaHoax was used around 17,000 times in a week (compared to more than 280,000 times in April 2017), and mostly failed to make Twitter's lists of top trends.
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/blogs-trending-43745629

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Baitussalam_Org?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Baitussalam_Org</a> extends Pakistan's mercy hand to our Syrian guests. <br><br>We would like to express our sincere gratitude for their donation of ten ambulances and 200 tents. <a href="https://t.co/ucNbbj5I6H">pic.twitter.com/ucNbbj5I6H</a></p>— Turkish Red Crescent (@RedCrescentTR) <a href="https://twitter.com/RedCrescentTR/status/989771455616335872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 27, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"[Arabs] are the world's largest importers of weapons. Somehow our regimes managed to import more arms than any region in the world without actually wining any wars -- except wars that they waged against us, the people,"<a href="https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@iyad_elbaghdadi</a>.<a href="https://t.co/v0VcpqMdF5">https://t.co/v0VcpqMdF5</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ArabWorld?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#ArabWorld</a></p>— Abdulrahman al-Masri (@AbdulrhmanMasri) <a href="https://twitter.com/AbdulrhmanMasri/status/1003711485225394183?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 4, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is is the Badran family in Raqqa, they moved house 4 times to escape the fighting. Everyone in this video is dead, killed by a coalition airstrike. Unable to escape from IS, 100s of civilians were killed by <a href="https://twitter.com/CJTFOIR?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@CJTFOIR</a> airstrikes in Raqqa. Time for accountablity says <a href="https://twitter.com/amnesty?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@amnesty</a> <a href="https://t.co/2miz93NrF1">pic.twitter.com/2miz93NrF1</a></p>— Quentin Sommerville (@sommervilletv) <a href="https://twitter.com/sommervilletv/status/1003888024042770432?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 5, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The leading Syrian Kurdish militia said Tuesday it would withdraw from Manbij, easing fears of a direct clash between NATO allies Washington and Ankara over the strategic northern town.
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/kurds-pull-strategic-syria-town-deal-142850861.html?__twitter_impression=true
Soon Turkey will take over Manbij area from YPG through a deal with U.S. This is an important area as it’s suitable for farming.

Almost 150 civilians were killed during protests in Iraq earlier this month as a result of security personnel using excessive force and live gunfire, a government committee has found.

About 70% of the deaths were caused by bullet wounds to the head or chest, according to the committee's report.

Chaos followed commanders losing control of their forces and many senior officers should be sacked, it adds.

The protesters demanded jobs, an end to corruption, and better public services.

Fresh demonstrations are planned for Friday, the first anniversary of Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi taking office.

Mr Abdul Mahdi has promised a cabinet reshuffle and a package of reforms to address the protesters' demands.

The protests, which lacked any organised leadership, started in the capital Baghdad on 1 October. Most of those taking part were young and unemployed.

After security forces used live ammunition in an attempt to disperse the demonstrators, the unrest escalated and began to spread to other cities and towns.

On Tuesday, a committee tasked by Mr Abdul Mahdi with investigating the bloodshed released its report.

It says 149 civilians and eight security personnel were killed at protests between 1 and 6 October. Three-quarters of the deaths were in Baghdad province.

The committee concluded that "officers and commanders lost control over their forces during the protests" and that this "caused chaos", Reuters news agency cited the report as saying.

It also found evidence that a sniper operated out of an abandoned building in central Baghdad.

Amnesty International said two weeks ago that it had gathered audio-visual material depicting a pattern of shootings that were consistent with sniper fire in Baghdad.

The Iraqi authorities blamed "anonymous snipers" for the killing of protesters, but witnesses said the sniper fire was coming from behind the security force lines.

The committee recommended that dozens of senior security officials should be dismissed and referred to prosecutors for possible trial, including the Baghdad operations commander.

However, it stopped short of blaming the prime minister and other senior officials.

"There were no official orders from the supreme authorities to security forces to open fire towards protesters or use live ammunition at all," the report says.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50138127.

There has been an upsurge of violence in Iraq as anti-government protests enter a fifth day, amid reports of bloodshed in the holy city of Karbala.

Reports say up to 18 people were shot dead by security forces there. However, officials denied anyone was killed.

In the capital, Baghdad, thousands of protesters have defied a curfew to demand jobs, better public services and an end to corruption.

Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi is under growing pressure to resign.

On Tuesday the influential Iraqi Shia cleric Moqtada Sadr said he would join forces with another powerful politician, Hadi al-Ameri, to bring Mr Abdul Mahdi down through a vote of no confidence.

More than 220 people have died across the country since anti-government demonstrations broke out at the beginning of the month. A first wave of protests gave way to a brief lull, but fresh unrest began five days ago.

What happened in Karbala?
In Karbala - a major centre for Shia Islam - the situation remains unclear, but a number of medical sources and eyewitnesses, backed up by video footage, suggest at least 18 people were killed and hundreds wounded in clashes with the security forces.

Rupert Colville, the spokesman for the office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, said they were trying to get more information about the situation.

"We have received particularly disturbing reports on what has been going on in Karbala... In both those reports [United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (Unami) and an Iraqi government committee], they recognise that excessive force has been used."

He called on local authorities in the city to ensure security forces acted with restraint and investigate the shootings.

The local governor and the police chief in Karbala have denied any protesters were killed, saying that videos circulating widely that show protesters running away from gunfire have been fabricated.

What about Baghdad?
Thousands of demonstrators vowed to continue their protests in the city, filling up the Iraqi capital's central Tahrir Square on Tuesday.

At least 74 people were killed and 3,500 others were injured over the weekend as the protests resumed in Baghdad and elsewhere following a two-week pause that organisers said was designed to give Iraq's leaders time to respond to their demands.

Mr Abdul Mahdi has promised to introduce reforms but protesters remain determined to try to sweep away his government.

On Monday, security forces fired tear gas to deter any attempting to cross a bridge to the fortified Green Zone, which houses government offices and foreign embassies.

After the first wave of protests earlier this month, the prime minister promised to carry out a cabinet reshuffle and cut the salaries of high-ranking officials. He also said he would allocate $66m ($51m) to support the unemployed, set up training programmes for youths, and build 100,000 homes in poor areas.

Will the government survive?
The prime minister has consistently rejected demands by Moqtada Sadr, who leads parliament's largest bloc, to resign and hold snap elections.

Mr Ameri, who heads the second largest group in parliament, has previously backed the government. But on Tuesday he announced that he and Mr Sadr would "work together to achieve the people's demands".

Mr Sadr had earlier issued a public invitation to Mr Ameri to co-ordinate on a no-confidence vote in parliament.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50225055.

Populist Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr demanded this week that Abdul Mahdi call an early election to quell the biggest mass protests in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003. The demonstrations are fueled by anger at corruption and widespread economic hardship.

Sadr had urged his main political rival Hadi al-Amiri, whose alliance of Iran-backed militias is the second-biggest political force in parliament, to help push out Abdul Mahdi.

But in a secret meeting in Baghdad on Wednesday, Qassem Soleimani, head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ elite Quds Force, intervened. Soleimani asked Amiri and his militia leaders to keep supporting Abdul Mahdi, according to five sources with knowledge of the meeting.

Spokesmen for Amiri and Sadr could not be reached for comment. An Iranian security official confirmed Soleimani was at Wednesday’s meeting, saying he was there to “give advice”.

“(Iraq’s) security is important for us and we have helped them in the past. The head of our Quds Force travels to Iraq and other regional countries regularly, particularly when our allies ask for our help,” the Iranian official said, asking not to be named.

Soleimani, whose Quds force coordinates Tehran-backed militias in Iraq, Syria and Lebanon, is a frequent visitor to Iraq. However, his direct intervention is the latest sign of Iran’s increasing influence in Iraq and across the region.

Iraqi security officials told Reuters earlier this month that Iran-backed militias deployed snipers on Baghdad rooftops to try to help put down the protests.

If Iraq falls further into crisis, Iran risks losing the influence it has steadily been amassing in the country since the U.S.-led invasion and which it sees as a counter to American influence in the region.

FATE UNCLEAR
Despite the maneuvering behind closed doors, Abdul Mahdi’s fate remains unclear. He took office a year ago as a compromise candidate between Amiri and Sadr but faces a wave of protests that has swelled in recent days.

In the 16 years since the fall of Saddam, a Sunni Muslim, Shi’ite Iran has emerged as a key power broker in Iraqi politics, with greater influence than the United States in the Shi’ite majority country.

But that proxy power battle has rankled ordinary Iraqis who criticize a political elite they say is subservient to one or the other of Baghdad’s two allies and pays more attention to those alliances than to Iraqis’ basic economic needs.

Despite their country’s vast oil wealth, many Iraqis live in poverty or have limited access to clean water, electricity, basic health care and education. Most of the protesters are young people who above all want jobs.

The protests have broken nearly two years of relative stability in Iraq. They have spread from Baghdad across the mainly Shi’ite south and met with a security crackdown that killed over 250 people.

Until earlier this week, it appeared that Amiri - who is one of Tehran’s key allies in Iraq and the leader of the Badr Organization of militia - was willing to support Abdul Mahdi’s departure.

Late on Tuesday night, Amiri issued a public statement agreeing to “work together” with Sadr after the cleric called on him to help oust the prime minister.

Wednesday’s meeting seemingly changed the course of events.

A Shi’ite militia commander loyal to Amiri - one of the five sources Reuters spoke to about the meeting - said there was agreement that Abdul Mahdi needed to be given time to enact reforms to calm the streets.

Many of the militia leaders raised fears at the meeting that ousting Abdul Mahdi could weaken the Popular Mobilization Forces, according to another source familiar with the meeting.

The PMF is an umbrella of mostly Shi’ite paramilitary groups backed by Iran who are influential in Iraq’s parliament and have allies in government. They formally report to the prime minister but have their own command structure outside the military.

Following the meeting with Soleimani, Amiri changed tune with Sadr. He told Sadr that getting rid of Abdul Mahdi would cause more chaos and threaten stability, a politician close to Sadr said.

Iraqi demonstrators attend an anti-government protest in Baghdad, Iraq October 31, 2019. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani
In response, Sadr said publicly that without a resignation there would be more bloodshed and that he would not work with Amiri again.

“I will never enter into alliances with you after today,” he said in a statement.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...of-iraqi-prime-minister-sources-idUSKBN1XA2DI.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq’s Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi appealed on Sunday to protesters to help restore normal life across the country and said the unrest was costing the economy “billions of dollars”.

More than 250 people have been killed since the protests in Baghdad and the south of the country started in early October, driven by discontent over economic hardship and corruption.

In statement published on Sunday evening, Abdul Mahdi said the protests which “shook the political system” have achieved their purpose and must stop effecting the country’s trade and economic activities.

“Threatening the oil interests and blocking roads leading to Iraq’s ports is causing big losses exceeding billions of dollars,” said Abdul Mahdi, warning that unrest was pushing up prices of goods.

Operations at Iraq’s main Gulf port, Umm Qasr, near the oil-rich city of Basra, which receives the bulk of Iraq’s imports of grain, vegetable oils and sugar, have been at a complete standstill since Wednesday.

Thousands of protesters have blocked all roads leading to the port. Police on Saturday used live fire and tear gas to try and disperse protesters and open the roads leading to the port but they failed to force them to leave.

The protests have broken nearly two years of relative stability in Iraq.

Despite the country’s oil wealth, many people live in poverty with limited access to clean water, electricity, healthcare or education.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-unrest-is-hurting-the-economy-idUSKBN1XD0IS.

Iraq demonstrations: The building taken over by protesters
Thousands of Iraqi anti-government protesters have occupied an abandoned high-rise building in the centre of Baghdad.

Known as the "Turkish Restaurant", the 1980s construction had been largely empty since it was bombed during the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq.

The protesters say it has been used by snipers.

Since 1 October, more than 250 people have been killed in clashes with security forces, as protesters demand more jobs, an end to corruption, and better services.

An Iraqi government committee report found that security forces had used excessive force and live gunfire against protesters in October. It found evidence that a sniper operated out of an abandoned building in central Baghdad.

The Iraqi authorities have blamed "anonymous snipers" for killing protesters.

<iframe width="400" height="500" frameborder="0" src="https://www.bbc.com/news/av/embed/p07t3hkx/50302796"></iframe>

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-m...rations-the-building-taken-over-by-protesters.

Iran is winning the strategic struggle for influence in the Middle East against its rival, Saudi Arabia, according to a study by the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).

Iran's regional rivals have spent billions of dollars on Western weaponry, much of it from the UK.

Yet for a fraction of that cost, sanctions-bound Iran has been able to successfully embed itself across the region into a position of strategic advantage.

It has a major influence - verging on a controlling influence in some cases - over the affairs of Syria, Lebanon, Iraq and Yemen.

'Tipping the balance'
The fact that Iran has stealthily built up a network of non-state alliances right across the Middle East, often referred to as "proxy militias", is nothing new.

Starting with Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Islamic Republic has been seeking to export its revolutionary ideology and expand its influence beyond its borders ever since the return of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini to Tehran in 1979.

But the 217-page report by the IISS, entitled "Iran's Networks of Influence in the Middle East", provides unprecedented detail on the extent and reach of Iran's operations in the region.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran," says the report, "has tipped the balance of effective force in the Middle East in its favour." It has achieved this, argue its authors, "by countering superior conventional forces with influence operations and use of third-party forces".

The key ingredient here has been the Quds Force, the external operations wing of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC).

Both the Quds Force and its leader, Maj Gen Qasem Soleimani, answer directly to Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamanei, bypassing Iran's conventional military structures to become effectively an independent entity.

Since the US-led overthrow of Saddam Hussein's regime in Iraq in 2003, the Quds Force has intensified its operations across the Middle East, providing training, funding and weapons to non-state actors allied to Tehran.

It has also developed unconventional forms of asymmetric warfare - such as swarm tactics, drone and cyber-attacks - that have allowed Iran to offset its enemies' superiority in conventional weapons.

In April, US President Donald Trump designated the IRGC, including the Quds Force, a "foreign terrorist organisation" (FTO). It was the first time the US had named a part of another government as an FTO.

Iran reacted to Mr Trump's decision by designating the US military in the Gulf region as a terrorist entity, a largely symbolic gesture.

Jack Straw, who was the UK's foreign secretary from 2001 to 2006 and who has visited Iran several times, believes that Gen Soleimani's role goes well beyond that of a military commander.

"Qasem Soleimani has basically been running their foreign policy in the region through alliances backed by force," he says.

In response to the IISS report, a spokesman at the Iranian embassy in London told the BBC: "If the report means that Iran's role in its region should be respected, it is a welcome sign.

"The policy of ignoring Iran did not work. Iran resisted. Iran has also successfully controlled damages of US economic terrorism. So yes, it is a powerful nation and has a lot of relations with other nations with a lot of initiatives for regional co-operation."

Hezbollah - 'junior partner'
The Lebanese Shia Islamist movement Hezbollah, which is both a political party and an armed militia, "has achieved unique status among Iran's partners", says the report, which documents in detail Iranian supply routes via Syria and Iraq.

Hezbollah has played an important role in conflicts in both of those countries, fighting alongside Syrian forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and assisting Iraqi Shia militias.

Although the report classifies Hezbollah as "more akin to a trusted junior partner and a brother-in-arms for Iran than a proxy", it nevertheless says the group has become a central interlocutor for an array of Arab militias and political parties with ties to Iran.

Embedding into Iraq and Syria
The US-led invasion of Iraq and the subsequent overthrow of Saddam Hussein's regime completely changed the shape of the Middle East and provided Iran with ample opportunity to take advantage.

Prior to that event, the Gulf Arab states saw Sunni Arab-ruled Iraq as something of a bulwark against any Iranian expansionism.

With that bulwark gone, Iran has successfully capitalised on its religious and cultural ties inside Iraq - which has a Shia Arab majority - to become a dominant force in the country.

It has armed and trained a paramilitary force called the Popular Mobilisation Units (PMU), which helped defeat IS but which many Iraqis see as a form of Iranian colonisation.

But Iran has not had it all its own way. The recent mass demonstrations and violence across Iraq show that young people are far from happy with their Iranian-backed government.

The report says "the PMU's transition from a band of patriotic volunteers to an entrenched part of the country's ruling order has cost it popular support".

Jack Straw believes Iran may have taken on more than it can handle in Iraq.

"What's going on in Iraq is very serious for the Iranians as they risk losing control there," he says.

The Syrian government has long been an Iranian ally. In the country's civil war, Iranian forces, Hezbollah and other Shia fighters, along with Russian air power, have been instrumental in helping President Assad survive and turn the tide against the rebels.

Today, says the IISS report, "Iran is embedding itself in the evolving Syrian government and informal security structures... enhancing its threat to Israel".

Disrupting Gulf rivals
Iran would very much like the US to leave the region and to replace it as the dominant military power. Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates (UAE), in particular, have no intention of letting that happen.

When the Arab Spring protests erupted in 2011, Iran capitalised on the unrest in Bahrain. It tapped into legitimate grievances among that country's majority Shia population, but also helped to arm certain violent groups.

"Iran's support for militant groups in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait is primarily meant to irritate and pressure their governments, and impose a political cost for their partnership with the United States," the report says.

The security threat posed by these groups, says the IISS, is manageable. However, the drone and missile strikes on vital Saudi oil installations in September showed just how vulnerable the Gulf Arab states are to asymmetric attacks of this nature.

Saudi Arabia had bought expensive missile defence systems from the US, but these were unable to stop this relatively low-tech attack that temporarily knocked out half its oil production capacity.

The Saudi foreign ministry has said there is "compelling evidence that the September attacks on Saudi oil installations were carried out by Iranian-made missiles fired from the north of the kingdom". But Iran has denied any involvement.

Another think tank, the European Council on Foreign Relations (ECFR), also sees Iran having gained advantages through backing the groups that fit its purpose.

"Iran cannot compete with Saudi Arabia when it comes to conventional military capabilities - as such it has sought to use asymmetric tools to secure its interests and protect itself from external threats," it says. "Relative to Saudi Arabia, Iran has backed the right players when it comes to winning the military battles."

Yemen
When Yemen descended into war in late 2014, there was very little Iranian involvement.

But after Saudi Arabia intervened in March 2015 with an air campaign aimed at dislodging the Houthi rebels from areas they had taken over, Iran stepped up its support.

The IISS report maintains this includes the supply of advanced weaponry as part of Iran's aim to "bog down at a limited cost its rival Saudi Arabia but also to establish a forward presence in the strategic [Red Sea] area of Bab al-Mandab".

The Yemen war has certainly bogged down the Saudis, costing them billions of dollars and triggering the launches of more than 200 missiles and drones across the border from Yemen.

"The Iranians have provided ballistic missiles to terrorist organisations, such as Hezbollah and the Houthis, in violation of UN Security Council resolutions," the Saudi foreign ministry says.

The damage to Saudi Arabia however, while alarming, has been dwarfed by the destruction wreaked by the war on Yemen, notably by Saudi-led air power.

There have been no winners in this catastrophic war. Both Saudi Arabia and its ally, the UAE, believe their principal achievement in Yemen has been to prevent Iran from gaining a permanent foothold in their backyard.

Maximum effect, minimum cost
The report concludes that Iran is unlikely to change course while Mr Trump remains in the White House and will "continue to seize opportunities to expand its third-party capability".

As Tehran feels the squeeze from sanctions reinstated by the president last year in an attempt to force it to negotiate a new nuclear deal, the temptation among hardline factions to lash out will only grow.

"Iran is likely to continue its defiant response to widening US sanctions," says the Texas-based geopolitical think tank, Stratfor. "The next six weeks offer Iran several possible opportunities for conducting attacks against Saudi Arabia and other US allies in the Middle East."

The fact that Iran now has such an extensive and geographically dispersed network of alliances gives it ample scope to conduct deniable operations at arms' length, should it choose to.

These could range from missile and drone attacks, ambushes on US military forces in Iraq, disruption of maritime traffic around the Strait of Hormuz, to sophisticated cyber-attacks that target Israel or the Gulf Arab states.

The bottom line is this: after 40 years of steadily recruiting, funding and arming its network of alliances, Iran is now in a far stronger position than it would appear.

Yes, the sanctions are biting and its population is suffering the effects. Economically, Iran is in a dreadful place. But the IRGC's Quds Force has built up a system of alliances that allows it to bring about maximum effect for minimum cost.

Strategically, through the network described in the IISS report, Iran has become a force to be reckoned with.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-50324912.

Iraqi anti-government protesters clashed with security forces and kept up their sit-ins on Sunday, as a rights group warned a deadly crackdown could spiral into a “bloodbath”.

Mass rallies calling for an overhaul of the ruling system have rocked the capital Baghdad and the Shia-majority south since early October, but political forces closed ranks this week to defend the government.

The consensus seems to have paved the way for a crackdown, and 12 protesters were killed on Saturday when security forces cleared out protest sites, medical sources said.

Nine were killed in Baghdad, most struck in the head by tear gas canisters, and three died in the southern city of Basra.

Demonstrators tried to regroup on Sunday in Baghdad's main protest camp at Tahrir (Liberation) Square, but crowds were smaller than previously.

“Since last night, security forces have been trying to advance into Tahrir to empty it,” said a protester draped in an Iraqi flag.

Protesters could be seen trying to bring down large concrete walls that security forces had erected to cut off Tahrir from nearby Khallani square.

A medical source said around 30 people were wounded in Khallani on Sunday, while volunteer medic Azhar Qassem said doctors would stay put in Tahrir to treat any wounded.

“We won't pull out,” he insisted.

“This is turning into nothing short of a bloodbath,” said rights group Amnesty International, calling on authorities to “immediately rein in security forces”.

“All government promises of reforms or investigations ring hollow while security forces continue to shoot and kill protesters,” said its regional director Heba Morayef.

Tear gas 'inside hospital'
In the first official toll in days, parliament's human rights committee said 319 people have been killed since protests first erupted on October 1, including demonstrators and security forces.

It also documented sniper shots and the use of hunting rifles and “sound bombs” — large stun grenades that are planted, not thrown — near protest sites being cleared.

In Basra, around 30 people marched towards their usual protest site outside the provincial headquarters on Sunday but police kept them hundreds of metres away.

Security sources stormed the Habboubi Children's Hospital in Nasiriyah to track down staff who had been protesting and “fired tear gas inside the hospital”, health directorate chief Abdelhussein al-Jaberi told AFP.

“We had to move the child patients to the Moussawi hospital to save their lives,” Jaberi said.

Police also blocked pupils from leaving their classrooms in Diwaniyah to join striking university students, but demonstrators rallied in Hillah and Kut.

Public anger erupted early last month over rampant corruption and lack of jobs but then spiralled into calls to overthrow a regime blamed for perpetuating graft and clientelism.

Oil-rich Iraq is OPEC's second biggest producer, but one in five people live in poverty and youth unemployment stands at 25 per cent, the World Bank says.

The government has suggested a series of reforms, including hiring drives, welfare plans, a revamp of the electoral law and constitutional amendments.

But it has resisted calls to overhaul the system, with rival political forces rallying around embattled Prime Minister Adel Abdel Mahdi.

'Climate of fear'
Abdel Mahdi, President Barham Saleh and parliament speaker Mohammed al-Halbusi met on Sunday and reiterated plans to move forward with reforms.

They also insisted security forces had been instructed “not to use live fire or excessive violence” against protesters.

The United Nations warned that a “climate of fear” was taking hold in Iraq amid “daily reports of killings, kidnappings, arbitrary arrests, beatings and intimidation of protesters”.

Rights defenders meanwhile slammed the government for restricting the internet, which returned intermittently to parts of Iraq on Sunday before being shut off again.

Abdel Mahdi, 77, came to power last year through a shaky alliance between populist cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and Hadi al-Ameri, a leader of the Hashed al-Shaabi paramilitary network.

When the protests started in October, Sadr threw his weight behind them while the Hashed backed the government.

But a series of meetings led by Major General Qasem Soleimani, the head of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' foreign operations arm, produced an arrangement to save the government, senior political sources told AFP.

“Those meetings resulted in an agreement that Abdel Mahdi would remain in office,” the source said.

Source: https://www.dawn.com/news/1516050/iraqis-keep-up-sit-ins-amid-fears-of-bloodbath.

Back