The Official POTW Nominations Thread!

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
As you can appreciate selecting the Post of the Week is not an easy task.

What I would appreciate is nominations for both categories to be mentioned in this thread. Please clearly state the post and why you think it's so good.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saj said:
As you can appreciate selecting the Post of the Week and Quote of the Week is not an easy task.

What I would appreciate is nominations for both categories to be mentioned in this thread. Please clearly state the post/quote and why you think it's so good.

thanks.
excellent idea Saj bhai

Quote by Whippy

"Fair enough, he has bowled on a lot of spinner's wickets and taken wickets against some modest batting lineups, but everyone has had conditions suited to them and played against modest lineups a lot in their career and I dont see them taking as many scalps as Kumble. The net result of Kumble's test career will be 500+ test wickets and that is special in itself, but to maintain such consistency and professionalism over a very long career, and squeeze out every ounce of the limited talent he has in every game, elevates him to great in my mind.

A wonderful servant to Indian cricket that gives 150% every game, a record breaker, and dare I say it a great of the game."

Summarized Kumble's career and showed why he thinks that Anil is a great bowler!

A very good canidate for post of the week. Great post.

ggm said:
Part of determining an individual’s greatness is also of course to step and back and locate the individual within a wider historical canvass.

In this respect understanding the particular genius of Wasim Akram is even more important in the age of today.

The language employed when discussing pace bowling – excluding express bowlers - often revolves around, ‘line and length’, ‘corridor’, ‘bowling in the right areas.’ The subtext is that pace bowling is about restriction, repetition about denying runs to the batsman.

So many bowlers – except express bowlers - as a result seem to more conservative, less daring. The prevailing mindset is that, bowling is about a war of attrition, about containing, negating, wearing down the batsmen.

Even in terms of bowling actions, there seems to be a convergence towards a prototype of what is considered an ideal action. ‘Mixed’ actions are increasingly frowned upon by experts.

Wasim Akram’s bowling was the anti-thesis of this prevailing mind set. His action was natural, distinctive and ‘mixed’ with back foot pointing one way and front foot another. Akram wanted to beat the batsman not suffocate them. His bowling was not about waiting for an error, but it was about seizing the initiative.

Ultimately his style of bowling reminded us all, that ambition and imagination can be as a much a part of fast bowling as precision, that bowling can be about variety not just repetition, and that it can involve inspiration as well as perspiration.

Even in his time he challenged conventional thinking, was a non-conformist, an untamed maverick who reminded us that fast bowling could be subtle and guileful, that it is not only batsman who can be artists.

In the current age, with the prevailing mindset as it is, his particular contribution is brought into even sharper focus.

folks, if you could kindly post a link to your nominated post/quote - thank you

My nominations for thread of week is

POTW and QOTW nominations thread - by saj :p

Quote of the week for me

Boycott in the telegraph:

"And what about Faisal Iqbal at No 6? He is a relative of the great Javed Miandad, and that's about all I can say. As a batsman, he makes a very good nephew."

:)) :))

The two relevant paragraph's from Boycott:

The problem for Pakistan is that they only have three batsmen. Yes, they are three absolute crackerjacks, really high quality players, but they need more support. Yesterday a third of the batting got run out (Mohammad Yousuf) and another third was stranded with the tailenders (Inzamam-ul-Haq).

Pakistan's opening batsmen cannot perform in English conditions. Their footwork is appalling. I would have been embarrassed to play like that when I was 17. And what about Faisal Iqbal at No 6? He is a relative of the great Javed Miandad, and that's about all I can say. As a batsman, he makes a very good nephew. So what chance have they got? Two of their best players put on the biggest stand against England for 40 years, and the others can hardly manage a run.

TaZ said:
Boycott in the telegraph:

"And what about Faisal Iqbal at No 6? He is a relative of the great Javed Miandad, and that's about all I can say. As a batsman, he makes a very good nephew."

:)) :))

Hilarious, that just about sums it up, no need to waste any more ink or pixels :))) :)))

Just a reminder.

If you spot a good quote or post, then please post the link in this thread.

If you make it a sticky, then im sure there will be more replies in this thread.

ggm said:
When will they learn?

Afridi is not an opener nor is he a number 3 in English conditions in September. He is so much more dangerous - anywhere in the world - down the order against an older ball when the ball tends to be pitched up and is not moving as much.

Even in Australia, on bouncy pitches, Afridi did well down the order.

Inzamam as captain is ultimately responsible for tactics and it seems he has learnt little from his errors in the India series with respect to the batting order.

You can forgive errors, but when they are repeated and can yet be easily fixed, than some strong criticism is warranted.

Entra post in timepass was brilliant but as post of week is only about cricket then this for me is it.

QOTW should got to GGM's latest post on the Glenn Mcgrath thread!

Rana said:
QOTW should got to GGM's latest post on the Glenn Mcgrath thread!
If you are nominating it, can you post the link/post No. Thanks

Folks, just a reminder, if you spot any post or thread that impresses you, please post the link in this thread.

thanks

Post # 2 by Hash in Gambino's thread, 'Quit while you're ahead', is my nomination

1. No. We should not let this go. The ONE person who is to blame for all of this is DARRELL HAIR. He cannot be allowed to get off scott free. Inzi has gone through weeks of anguish, a hearing which should never have happened and now a ban when he is completely and utterly innocent. The man who is guilty is having a holiday somewhere eating steak and chips and drinking his whiskey. Not acceptable. We should not let this go until Hair has been punished for bringing the game into disrepute....

The protest took place because of a baseless (and now proven to be wrong) accusation of cheating. No, not accusation. Hair did not accuse us. He tried, convicted and sentenced us without even giving us a word of a say. He didn't even tell Inzi why he was changing the ball. And let's also get another thing clear....EVERYONE wanted the game to continue. Hair was the only one who didn't. So has Inzy been found guilty for protesting (which is nonsense, countless captains have led their teams off the field before) or for the forfeiture (which is also nonsense, Inzi was happy to play)? There is only one man who brought the game into disrepute and that was DARRELL HAIR. When he is punished for this....THEN we should let it go.

2. Please do not call Shaharyar Khan an idiot. You may not agree with what he says or how he runs the PCB. But learn a thing or two about the man and what he has done in his life because I think you need to learn some respect. And if he was responsible for the protest then he is a hero.

Just a polite reminder about this thread folks.

QOTW by Danish Kaneria

" I am happy that a great player like Lara hits me around"

ha ha ha ha
God give you more happiness Kaneria

QOTW has to be this from MoYo

"God has helped me break this record and I am extremely happy and proud for my country because whenever the record is discussed now, it will be with the name of a Pakistani batsman."

:14: :14:

Last edited:
Just a reminder about this thread folks.

Can someone ask him to use 'Periods (.)' for a change, after every 3-4 lines...in case he don't have them, I can lend him some!

Here are some of the spare ones I found (................); he is more than welcome to use them all, I have plenty more at home too

look no further guys its here and happening, a post full of Periods, from someone who miss them as no other man do.

fight_club said:
look no further guys its here and happening, a post full of Periods, from someone who miss them as no other man do.

Oh meray bhai...have you heard the phrase 'Water over the bridge'; let it go will ya!

Just walk away from the periods...slowly walk away from them :p

Don't know about POTW, but a retard of the week would be hotly contested this week!!

Truthteller said:
Don't know about POTW, but a retard of the week would be hotly contested this week!!

HaHaHa...

I can think of a few names ;-)

POTW Nomination:

Thread is Waqar Vs PCB http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=34727&page=2&pp=50

Post # 97 By 'zamanov'
zamanov said:
Waqar may not have the contractual right to know the management discussions but he does have the right to know what's being said in his performance review that caused that decision to be made? Why is he good enough for tests and not for one days when his contract is specifically until the World Cup? If Bob and Inzi are not comfortable with him as a bowling coach then why was he on four consecutive full tours prior to this and again been selected to be there for the SA Test series? What is Mushtaq bringing to the team that Waqar wasn't and why is he staying for the full tour? Any sane person can see the stupid drama that PCB/team management has landed itself in.

zamanov said:
In this whole saga of Shoaib and Pakistani fast bowling talent, the PCB has equal if not primary blame to not having adequate replacements. I can guarantee you that if there were 2-3 quality fast talents in the A side (ala Dale Steyn, Johnson, Jerome Taylor) giving competition to Shoaib for a spot, his legacy would have been totally different!

it was posted on 31 Jan 07.. is it applicable? :D

Monsee said:
Oh meray bhai...have you heard the phrase 'Water over the bridge'; let it go will ya!

Just walk away from the periods...slowly walk away from them :p

I doubt he's heard of it since the phrase is 'Water under the bridge'

Following post by Truthteller from this thread (Post # 60)...Funniest post ever
:)))
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?p=948399&posted=1#post948399post948399

'Wonderful, we can then hopefully have you and Naved as the Coach and assistant coach. You must decide between you which one is the Coach and which one is the assistant.

I see two potential benefits immediately possible from this occurrence.

First Pakistan team's performances will skyrocket upwards. We will be world champions at Test and One Day cricket. Two successful openers whom you both know of but have kept a closely guarded secret will be revealed to the nation. At least one other fast bowler who can bowl a few 'Quality Overs' will be brought into the national team. The pair, Shoaib and him will bowl in one innings each. That is all the bowling we need. All this nonsense about being match fit will never be mentioned again. Players can indulge in whatever takes their fancy and wander on to the field at the start of a match.

Second and most importantly, the job will keep both of you busy and as you will be totally engrossed in putting your remedies and fine strategies (as detailed above and other similarly fine ones) into practice you will not have the need to post them at this or any other site.'

POTW Nomination 'isr' post # 6 in "Boom-Boom a fortunate lad" thread

isr said:
Wait a minute. Those "Pak animal" fans in the 1st Test were slaughtered in the media. Pakistani fans in general were labeled a security risk, and were being verbally and publically threatened ("dont come to the 2nd Test, or else").

No-one wanted to hear what the Pak fans themselves claimed they did.

Here, we have the supposed fan in question claiming that his comments were mild at worst. AND THE SA JOURNO TAKES HIM AT HIS WORD!!!!!

Double standards, exhibited by a nation of bloody hypocrites (and I don't give a flying f### about generalising at this point).

They complain about racist insults from fans in Australia - but are outraged when one of their own players is pulled up for making heinous racist insults - caught red-handed.

They sledge and insult the opposition to their hearts content, yet cry to the match referee and try to get Pakistani players banned WHEN THEY SIMPLY RESPOND BACK (not just this tour, either).

They slander an entire country's fanbase FOR THE ACTIONS OF THEIR OWN (SA) CITIZENS - yet fail to see failings in their own fans.

I am sick to death of this bunch of match-fixing, dishonest, foul-mouthed, cry-baby's. Give me Aussies any day. What they give, they can take. SA? Look it up in the dictionary. It says:

South Africa: (noun) country in Southern Africa. Also a slang term for HYPOCRITES (see 'h').

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=35665

Nominations for the Post of the week.

With the forum being extremely busy these days it is very hard for me to read each and every post. I would really appreciate if you folks can help me out and post your nominations for the POTW in this thread.

thanks

I second the nomination of Big Harvey for post of the week. It pleasant to read a view that does not pander to prejudices and probes deeper beyond the surface.

And quote of the week - Nadeem's evocative summary on Holding and especially Imran (post 22):
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=59946

Last edited:
Momo said:
I am shocked. This audacious copy-and-paste stuff is disgraceful.
If u look at the time of post, the post of itduzz here on PP was earlier....

Oi hold your horses guys, maybe its the same guy?

vigilante said:
Oi hold your horses guys, maybe its the same guy?

Yes it is possible. It has been posted on the same date with a little difference in time. If it's the same person, I owe him an apology.

I nominate Easa for QOTW, for this paragraph on Brian Lara vs Muttiah Muralitharan from my very own "Anti-Mendis XI" thread:

He was playing flicks through midwicket, with Murali bowling over the wicket and into the rough. It was just surreal; he was dancing, rocking back and forth, lunging and weaving a tapestry so regal, I was mesmerized. It was like poetry in motion; an artist painting a picture so real that the canvas was mistaken for real life.

I would like to nominate the following for the 'Post of the week', 'Quote of the week'...heck, 'Post/Quote of the Century':

Post # 25 from Iqbal'sh

Iqbal'sh said:
Pathetic. Malik was the settled batsman so he took a few punts to try to get boundaries, at the same time he let Fawad settle in and see some balls from the non strikers end. Ultimately the tactics suceeded much to the dismay of the ignorant anti-Malik brigade

:))) :))) :)))

This epicurean gem from Ghosht:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showpost.php?p=1655931&postcount=146

Ghoshtbuster said:
This is the Pakistani way. Which only Pakistanis (and maybe some old West Indians) understand. Atleast that is what I thought. Turns out most on here are concerned by winning - at any cost.

I would rather we tried to score faster than everyone, bowl faster than everyone, break bones and break stumps instead of boring (India) style cricket or mechanical (Australia) style cricket.

Afridi represents the physical embodiement of all of that, and unfortunatly appears to be a dying breed.

(Also, saying that you enjoy watching Dravid or Kallis bat does not make you an intelligent objective observe of the game. It makes you boring).
If more more people stopped to understand it they'd enjoy following Pakistan a lot more and have less of the anger that you see.

Just a reminder for posters - this thread is for nominating Post of the Week and Quote of the Week.

PlanetPakistan has done a good job with this for quite a while and now that he is busy with other stuff the responsibility has shifted to me.

Of course it's not possible to monitor every single post so to ensure we have the bests posts/quotes winning every week , it would be good to have people nominating worthy posts in this thread.

I'd like to nominate this one :)
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=74059
Post #28

shaun3 said:
Gentlemen,

There are moments in history, when human suffering plunges such depths that even the most timid spirits reach out from this well of darkness and cry "ENOUGH!"

In these moments, no power can match this spirit, the most honorable of mankind's powers.

The French Kings and Queens could not match this power, and they learned this lesson at their own expense when they ignored the most basic tenant of humanity.

The mighty British empire was sent toppling by waves of Pakistani's, Bengali's, and Indians when these citizens could suffer no more the tyranny of British rule.

Gentlemen, such a moment is upon us today. Long have we suffered the incompetence and arrogance of those who ignore our finest their right to don the honorable green shirt, their hard-earned right to take to the field, and their right to make us proud and restore our honor.

If Fawad does not play today, then I say the time has come to set upon them a wave so severe so as to remind them that we, sirs, have had enough!

UNLEASH THE UNIBROW!!!

Hope you all enjoy the game, hope we win no matter who plays, and Pakistan Zindabad!!!

(I'll be cheering silently from my office......)

Back