"The results will come but we will just have to wait for some time": Shaheen Shah Afridi

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Shaheen Shah Afridi during 3rd T20I post-match presser:

"The history of the ground was telling us that winning the toss and bowling first in previous matches, both domestic and international, had much more success. We decided as a team that chasing would be better, but unfortunately, we could not deliver as a bowling unit in the power play. Looking at all three matches, the bowling has collapsed, but you definitely have to give more time to this team if we are to think about the big events."

“Whenever you come onto such a tour, you will not get an easy opponent. New Zealand has always been a very good team. When we come into these conditions, it's not easy to adapt and comptete although we have prepared well. If you look at the opening pair, we tried our best. I had said in an earlier interview also that we have 17 matches and we are trying to ensure that our best 11 and best 15 players will be there. Only for the sake of combination, obviously, you will have to try. Similarly, now with the bowling unit, you will have to give an opportunity to everyone because they are the top performers in the domestic circuit. So I think we will give them as much opportunity as possible.”

About Haris Rauf:

“Obviously, when you win, they say that he is your best player, but when you lose, they say that nothing is going right. Even today, if you see that Henry got hit for more than 50 runs and he is their best bowler. In the last match, someone else got hit for 50, so this is the beauty of T20. In such a small ground, you can go for 40, 50 runs. Haris got hit on some good balls as well. We do understand what we have done wrong. He is our best player in T20 cricket and has the most wickets in this format.”

About Saim Ayub and Azam Khan:

“Saim Ayub can be a big star for Pakistan. He has the ability and hunger to do it for Pakistan. Whenever he practices in the nets, he tries to give his best. In these conditions, it is not very easy for such a youngster to prove himself. We have to give him opportunities."

"Azam Khan is the best domestic performer in Pakistan. If you look at his strike rate and average at number 5 and 6, it is the best in Pakistan. These are the players who, if given proper opportunity, will be beneficial for the Pakistan team.”

About Babar Azam:

“As I said earlier, Babar has no issues with his form, you should also see the conditions he has played in like Autralia. One or two innings do not make any difference. Babar has proved it again. He has played three good innings in three consecutive matches. It is obvious that he could not finish it for Pakistan today, but there should be a player with him on the other end who can help him take the game deep. But Babar did his best, played very well in all matches, but unfortunately, if there was a good batter with him at the other end, he could have finished the match as well.”

About changes in the remaining matches:

“We are thinking about the combination that we can try at Christchurch. We will have a look at the pitch again. We will have to give chances because the new players are sitting on the bench. You have to try your bench. We are trying to make a team that will have the best 15 players in the T20 World Cup for us.”

“It does not matter whether the result is there or not. What matters is that the team is trying, and everyone is thinking about what can be done to make it better. From number 1 to number 11, they are trying on the field and discussing what can be done to make it better for Pakistan. All of them are doing it. The results will come but will just have to wait for some time."​

Shaheen should remember that just like it happened in the ODI WC year when we had so many opportunities to test new combinations, we wasted those chances and ended up where we did in the World Cup.

Yeah could imagine under how intense pressure SSA would be, the thing is no matter how close you fought in the end what matter are results.

Typical minnow mentality and team. These players lack basic cricketing efforts needed to win on the field, lethargic fielders, misfields, playing in the gaps, keeping the run rate in check while chasing. Even Afghanistan these days go out to win and it is visible in their efforts and involvement during the game.

I could understand this attitude if it was backed up by intent. Eoin Morgan said similar things when he first came to the role for England. England were awful but they changed their attitude and approach and after a period of suffering they won and did it in some style.

Right now we see no attitude change from Pakistan. It's the same meek and brainless approach from batters and bowlers alike.

So what is the difference between Wahab and Inzi. Both selects almost same type of Squad. Azam Khan, Rauf, Ifti need to retire

Yeah all talk but 0 performance. Please retire and concentrate on franchise leagues. You are good belong there. You just don't have it. Man up, Admit and retire.

History and the statisticians told Shaheen to bowl first so he bowled. It was easy. He didn't need to use his brain and think what suits the XI.

History and statisticians pulled up Azam's domestic numbers so Shaheen played him. Again, easy. Doesn't need to use his brain.

People need to stop moaning they are trying different players and different batting positions, as we the fans wanted them. So far we have found at and most of us knew Iftikhar will never deliver, Azam does not belong in international. I am sure they will try out Farhan in the next game. A better spinner than Usama and Nawaz needs to be in squad, it is unfortunate Abrar is not fit to play yet.

People need to stop moaning they are trying different players and different batting positions, as we the fans wanted them. So far we have found at and most of us knew Iftikhar will never deliver, Azam does not belong in international. I am sure they will try out Farhan in the next game. A better spinner than Usama and Nawaz needs to be in squad, it is unfortunate Abrar is not fit to play yet.
When will they experiment with the position of Rizwan?

How many wishes u want to come true, Babar now at 3, Azim and Siam given chances, other bowlers too
Perhaps Rizwan batting position is next..
Already did it against Afghanistan.

Even against a borderline minnow it didn’t work at all whatsoever.

But we know by now that all you’ll ever hear is - “try this, try that, just try anything til you find something that fits my agenda”.

The primary reason they keep failing is because their agenda is against Rizwan himself and nothing at all to do with his ability as a cricketer.

They don’t have pure intentions on this matter. It is about their weak, fragile ego which has been dented by Rizwan’s performances and that is why they hate him.

The secondary reason is they know nothing about cricket. Hence why you hear suggestions like Sharjeel should come back and Asif Ali should be captain. Utterly clueless thoughts which sum up their knowledge of this game and why they should be ignored completely.

Results in bilateral in T20 are meaningless. Pakistan should try out different options to get the combination right.

But we know by now that all you’ll ever hear is - “try this, try that, just try anything til you find something that fits my agenda”.

The primary reason they keep failing is because their agenda is against Rizwan himself and nothing at all to do with his ability as a cricketer.

They don’t have pure intentions on this matter. It is about their weak, fragile ego which has been dented by Rizwan’s performances and that is why they hate him.

The secondary reason is they know nothing about cricket. Hence why you hear suggestions like Sharjeel should come back and Asif Ali should be captain. Utterly clueless thoughts which sum up their knowledge of this game and why they should be ignored completely.
Argue sensibly

Not emotionally. Learn about cricket first before you make over emotional statements that suggest you are not thinking

SSA could do with a rest himself and reassess his game. Just not happening for the big man at the moment.

SSA is looking no better than Babar in terms of handling pressure and captaincy. He was being tagged as great captain after he won 2 back to back PSL titles and rightly deserved captaincy too. But the issue is PSL does not have that quality cricket as compared to BBL and IPL. And there is huge gap between PSL and international matches against top teams.

History and the statisticians told Shaheen to bowl first so he bowled. It was easy. He didn't need to use his brain and think what suits the XI.

History and statisticians pulled up Azam's domestic numbers so Shaheen played him. Again, easy. Doesn't need to use his brain.
He seems clueless from game 1. Wasim jr is a new ball bowler , 3 games gone and in these 3 games he tried 3 diff bowlers as his new ball partner. Wasim jr after warming the bench for a month gave a chance tdy and he bowled like someone in rhythm

Pak purely wasting him

1st game - Haris bowled 2nd over
2nd game it was Jamal
And today it was zaman khan

What is he thinking, really playing like gully cricket.

SSA is looking no better than Babar in terms of handling pressure and captaincy. He was being tagged as great captain after he won 2 back to back PSL titles and rightly deserved captaincy too. But the issue is PSL does not have that quality cricket as compared to BBL and IPL. And there is huge gap between PSL and international matches against top teams.
Who should captain Pakistan?

Good post. Cricket is clearly not for people who think sharjeel is good. Sharjeel couldn't even get a Psl contract lol, shows you how pathetic he is.

Ifthikar has not delivered ever since he debuted , same for Azam khan

Let them dominate domestics and rot there.

Hopefully they try Farhan and Haseebullah in the next 2 games.

Good post. Cricket is clearly not for people who think sharjeel is good. Sharjeel couldn't even get a Psl contract lol, shows you how pathetic he is.
So Rizwan is ‘good’ because he got a PSL contract?

Stick with Babar , rest of the team don’t have a chance.

Problem with Pakistan is their middle order in LOIs is non existent ever since Mickey left in 2019

They have tried chachu, Asif ali, danish aziz, Faheem Ashraf, Nawaz , Azam khan, Khusdil so far and none of them stand a chance to be there and they continue to rinse and repeat them

Discard this bits and pieces and play a proper batsman at 4, 5 and 6

So Rizwan is ‘good’ because he got a PSL contract?
Yes he is good , Sharjeel had his time and not needed anymore that’s why no contract. Franchises can’t buy players for their past glory , let them keep that in museum for memories

Stick with Babar , rest of the team don’t have a chance.

Problem with Pakistan is their middle order in LOIs is non existent ever since Mickey left in 2019

They have tried chachu, Asif ali, danish aziz, Faheem Ashraf, Nawaz , Azam khan, Khusdil so far and none of them stand a chance to be there and they continue to rinse and repeat them

Discard this bits and pieces and play a proper batsman at 4, 5 and 6
Name your preferred XI in order

Don’t be shy. State what you believe.

Yes he is good , Sharjeel had his time and not needed anymore that’s why no contract. Franchises can’t buy players for their past glory , let them keep that in museum for memories
Everyone in the Pakistan team has a PSL contract.

Tim Southee doesn’t. He is too good for Pakistani batsmen on these flat tracks, small boundaries. So what exactly does having a PSL contract mean?

If you go by logic and brain it should be shadab as he was vice captain for good 2-3 years. He was trained under babar and rightly deserved so. I know he is injured but still he will not captain pakistan even he is fit

We're going around in circles. Majority of the players are not international quality. There is no talent coming through.

If you go by logic and brain it should be shadab as he was vice captain for good 2-3 years. He was trained under babar and rightly deserved so. I know he is injured but still he will not captain pakistan even he is fit
Being trained to captain under Babar is no training of value.

The only thing Babar can teach others is how to look after yourself and your mates.

having a PSL contract means you are good?

Guess who couldn’t secure an IPL contract this year? Hint: Surname is Allen…

What he did to your PSL star bowlers today should probably tell you the real aukaat of what PSL is, and it’s standard.

Your PSL leading run scorers can’t ever hit 16 sixes in an T20 innings, and that too against your so called premier pacers.

Being trained to captain under Babar is no training of value.

The only thing Babar can teach others is how to look after yourself and your mates.
I said if you want to follow some logic. I know there is no common sense and logic in any decision made by PCB

Abysmal completely off color as captain the fetish with bowling First is baffling

The hate for Rizwan and Chacha is totally uncalled for. If SSA had any brains, he would bowl Chacha, who has an ER of under 6 in T20I's and ODIs in the past 12 months.

SSA has some big decisions to make soon. After this series, before the PSL, he is slated to play in the pointless ILT20. How is that going to help him rediscover his mojo when there are 17 T20Is and the PSL before the WC? Plenty of other opportunities. he should skip the ILT20.

The hate for Rizwan and Chacha is totally uncalled for. If SSA had any brains, he would bowl Chacha, who has an ER of under 6 in T20I's and ODIs in the past 12 months.

SSA has some big decisions to make soon. After this series, before the PSL, he is slated to play in the pointless ILT20. How is that going to help him rediscover his mojo when there are 17 T20Is and the PSL before the WC? Plenty of other opportunities. he should skip the ILT20.

It’s close to unbelievable that Shaheen hasn’t seen fit to give Ifti a single over in this series so far.

The position of Rizwan is set in stone.

The only chance of Rizwan moving is if he doesn't play altogether.

However, seeing how he manages to recuperate from even ICU issues in less than 24 hours, it is highly unlikely Rizwan is going to be out of team soon.

Might as well watch him make those pretty 20s, 30s the odd 50 of 40 balls and clap at his accomplishments while the team continues its losing spree.

You take out Rashid Khan from Lahore Qalandars and Shaheen will be further exposed to be a very ordinary captain. Captaining a T-20 Franchise is very different from international captaincy.

You take out Rashid Khan from Lahore Qalandars and Shaheen will be further exposed to be a very ordinary captain. Captaining a T-20 Franchise is very different from international captaincy.
What are your thoughts on Rizwan becoming captain of Pakistan?

Another thing, a lot of these Pakistani players have been consistently on the road in the last 7-8 months where some have participated in various T-20 leagues around the world, the hundred, CPL, then came the Sri Lanka Test Series, Asia Cup ODI tournament, WC ODI tournament, Australian Series and now this.

All this travelling takes a toll and you can see the effects on the field, the players are very tired, lethargic and we all know Shaheen's pace is down badly. We need to have a proper work load management policy.

We're going around in circles. Majority of the players are not international quality. There is no talent coming through.
The modern game just like many other sports is heavily data and analytics driven. Even with talent coming through, I doubt we'd still be able to compete because other areas of developing players sucks compared to other teams.

What are your thoughts on Rizwan becoming captain of Pakistan?

He will be biased in favour of the same Saya Clique that has been dominating Pakistan Cricket, Mindset in the last 4-5 years i.e. Babar, Shaheen, Shadab and Co. Dressing room and the team overall approach needs freshness.

Rizwan however has shown in the PSL to be more smart and can think on the spot vs Babar as captain.

More than the captain the team needs a proper foreign coaching staff with complete authority on the team i.e. Fitness, Nutrition, Fielding and no one gets into the team without meeting international fitness bench marks. Pakistan is the most unfit and unenergetic fielding unit compared to the Top 5. We end up conceding 50-60 runs because of our pathetic in and out fielding, lack of direct hits.

Kohli with that save on the boundary line saved India from defeat. Not a single Pakistani Cricketer can meet modern fitness and nutrition standards.

Pakistan cannot do much with the limited batting resources on hand but we can so much better when we drastically improve our fielding which can back up our bowling resources.

Rizwan however has shown in the PSL to be more smart and can think on the spot vs Babar as captain
Yeah everyone looks smart when they have a middle order of international guns that can assure 200-230 runs

It’s a whole different ball game when you have Pakistan’s batting resources.

So be realistic.

Already said this in a previous post if you give me Qalanders bowling line up even i will get you semi final.

really poor captincy from Shaheen.

Shaheen should remember that just like it happened in the ODI WC year when we had so many opportunities to test new combinations, we wasted those chances and ended up where we did in the World Cup.
We lost key bowlers like Naseem, Ihsanullah and Rauf was injured going in to the tournament.

Shaheen has been captain for 3 games so I think we need some perspective on the situation.

He will be biased in favour of the same Saya Clique that has been dominating Pakistan Cricket, Mindset in the last 4-5 years i.e. Babar, Shaheen, Shadab and Co. Dressing room and the team overall approach needs freshness.

Rizwan however has shown in the PSL to be more smart and can think on the spot vs Babar as captain.

More than the captain the team needs a proper foreign coaching staff with complete authority on the team i.e. Fitness, Nutrition, Fielding and no one gets into the team without meeting international fitness bench marks. Pakistan is the most unfit and unenergetic fielding unit compared to the Top 5. We end up conceding 50-60 runs because of our pathetic in and out fielding, lack of direct hits.

Kohli with that save on the boundary line saved India from defeat. Not a single Pakistani Cricketer can meet modern fitness and nutrition standards.

Pakistan cannot do much with the limited batting resources on hand but we can so much better when we drastically improve our fielding which can back up our bowling resources.
Shadab is an excellent fielder.

Yeah everyone looks smart when they have a middle order of international guns that can assure 200-230 runs

It’s a whole different ball game when you have Pakistan’s batting resources.

So be realistic.
Rizwan is a good captain and has shown leadership skills.

The smartness of captaincy is mostly required in the field with tactical bowling changes, in game awareness etc.

The batting line up takes care of itself in any format. I don t see your point

Rizwan is a good captain and has shown leadership skills.

The smartness of captaincy is mostly required in the field with tactical bowling changes, in game awareness etc.

The batting line up takes care of itself in any format. I don t see your point
He’s the vc now, he was manipulating Babar in the past as well…

How is he some Jurgen Klopp in the making?

“It does not matter whether the result is there or not. What matters is that the team is trying."

This comment is like how we used to speak for games in high-school. As a professional, results matter. Test your bench strength but you should have a better approach than this.

I'm not sure if he said this in English or it was translated:

It does not matter whether the result is there or not. What matters is that the team is trying, and everyone is thinking about what can be done to make it better. From number 1 to number 11, they are trying on the field and discussing what can be done to make it better for Pakistan. All of them are doing it. The results will come but will just have to wait for some time.

But I like when he says that "everyone is thinking about what can be done to make it better". I hope that's genuinely true. Ultimately if each player understands takes accountability for what they are responsible for, the team will be better for it.

But I like when he says that "everyone is thinking about what can be done to make it better". I hope that's genuinely true. Ultimately if each player understands takes accountability for what they are responsible for, the team will be better for it.
Yeah that’s not true

How can a group of 20-25 people (players and coaching staff) not have thought that maybe letting Fakhar Zaman open instead of Bat at number 4 will probably give them the best chance to compete with the bat?

The ILT20 is offering him around $750,000. There is no way he will let such life changing sums of money slide. The Pakistani Cricket economy is not big enough to pay Shaheen this much and he does not have the security of an annual hefty IPL contract either.

Shaheen's statement means that Haris is okay, Azam is okay, iffi is doing ok as well, everybody is doing well yet we are losing the series 5-0 and getting whitewashed against a side that escaped a series defeat against Bangladesh recently. Is this team worse than Bangladesh even?

Shaheen is a good captain but I don’t think he is the one calling the shots. Hafeez is overruling him and you can expect this from Hafeez because he is always laboring under the delusion that he is the smartest man in the room.

youve gone away from your original point of saying its
The ILT20 is offering him around $750,000. There is no way he will let such life changing sums of money slide. The Pakistani Cricket economy is not big enough to pay Shaheen this much and he does not have the security of an annual hefty IPL contract either.
The money is there is they remove 100s of useless posing as admin staff and milking a salary from the PCB.

Last edited by a moderator:

you went away from your original point of saying it was easy for rizwan to captain a franchise side because the batting would take care of itself with international stars.

my point was rizwan has proven to be a good strategic captain by making intelligent bowling changes and good in game awareness which is where a captain earns his crust.

The batting takes care of itself.

I dont see the klopp comment making sense.

Shaheen is a good captain but I don’t think he is the one calling the shots. Hafeez is overruling him and you can expect this from Hafeez because he is always laboring under the delusion that he is the smartest man in the room.
Hafeez yes , dont have say more but what makes u think Shaheen is a good captain..

He should have done something better in this 3 games that he played , he did start well taking the Conways wicket in the 1st T20 but then after that 3 matches absolute carnage...

He gives Haris the new ball doesnt seem to know the strengths of Abbas.... Wasim jnr is a new ball bowler but he was purposely being kept away for Naseems re-entry i think... he is been with the team ever since Asia cup but whenever given chance he has bowled well but still benched..

The best thing that can happen right now is for the PCB hierarchy to say to Shaheen- ''Regardless of the result in this series, regardless of anything that happens in the lead up to the WC, regardless of the external noise and drama you will be the captain until the world cup. Do not worry about losing this series 5-0- the thing you need to focus on now is getting the 15 right for the world cup, and developing your strategies and working out who is going to fill the gaps we currently have''

We can not have the guy looking over his shoulder and making short term calls worrying about his own skin.

Personally I do not think we are too far away, though we need to get Naseem Abrar Shadab and Asif Ali (yes - I said it!) into the squad

Now that Pak has lost even with Rizwan and Babar he can't say "We missed Rizwan and Babar hence we lost". Seriously Pakistan missed an opportunity to give the responsibility completely to new guys. THey will be forced to step up.

I also do wonder how much of a difference it makes to have a management and pcb like that on top. Compared to the competent management in Lahore Qalandars camp.

Now that Pak has lost even with Rizwan and Babar he can't say "We missed Rizwan and Babar hence we lost". Seriously Pakistan missed an opportunity to give the responsibility completely to new guys. THey will be forced to step up.
Happened against Afghanistan. We got smashed. Nobody stepped up.

Hafeez and Wahab know that bad performances in Pakistan mean you will be replaced in a heartbeat.

Just imagine how bad the scorelines would look without Babar in there.

Hafeez and Wahab know that bad performances in Pakistan mean you will be replaced in a heartbeat.

Yeah let’s please see what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true but we won't know whether a captain can translate their domestic/PSL success in internationals unless you give them the opportunity.

We've seen with Babar the flaw with simply gifting the captaincy to the best player without considering their leadership capabilities.

IMO there should be two prerequisites when appointing captains - 1) Do they merit a place in the team and 2) Have they a decent captaincy track record ?

Shaheen ticked both boxes, despite his bowling being below par, and deserves a clear run especially given the 4 year tenure Babar got.

You have to keep trying. Afghanistan is not such a bad side to begin with. THey have array of T20 specialists. One thing you have to understand is "gelling" takes time. You cannot assemble a bunch of guys and suddenly expect them to click. Their roles changes, responsibility changes. You have to take the losses on the chin. England was whitewashhed by Bangladesh in T20 series without their main players. Nobody is crying over that.

You have to keep trying. Afghanistan is not such a bad side to begin with. THey have array of T20 specialists. One thing you have to understand is "gelling" takes time. You cannot assemble a bunch of guys and suddenly expect them to click. Their roles changes, responsibility changes. You have to take the losses on the chin. England was whitewashhed by Bangladesh in T20 series without their main players. Nobody is crying over that.

I think everyone would love to see rotation and it was a primary reason we struggled so much in the ODI WC.

But our management dare not risk it because if it fails their heads will be chopped off.

There is no reason for Babar, Rizwan and Shaheen to play every game. None whatsoever.

But Hafeez and Wahab are too scared of getting complete phainty as they know they’ll be turned upon in an instant. So they dare not rest their big guns.

It’s a cruel cycle.

The fact that’s he’s finished and bowling 70 mph pies it will be a disastrous tenure as captaincy. He needs to retire is his only saving grace has lost his magic

Shaheen is not fit for captaincy, he needs rest and work to regain his bowling form.

That's true but we won't know whether a captain can translate their domestic/PSL success in internationals unless you give them the opportunity.

We've seen with Babar the flaw with simply gifting the captaincy to the best player without considering their leadership capabilities.

IMO there should be two prerequisites when appointing captains - 1) Do they merit a place in the team and 2) Have they a decent captaincy track record ?

Shaheen ticked both boxes, despite his bowling being below par, and deserves a clear run especially given the 4 year tenure Babar got.
Before ticking the boxes you have to go by logic and brain, shadab was groomed for good 2 years as a VC for white ball cricket and snubbed as usual. Shaheen have a good record captaining PSL and rightly deserved pakistan team captaincy but shadab deserved it more. Anyhow i dont see any spark in SSA captaincy, i hope he bring some aggressive approach during WC games otherwise i am pretty sure babar will be coming back again and with more power

Before ticking the boxes you have to go by logic and brain, shadab was groomed for good 2 years as a VC for white ball cricket and snubbed as usual. Shaheen have a good record captaining PSL and rightly deserved pakistan team captaincy but shadab deserved it more. Anyhow i dont see any spark in SSA captaincy, i hope he bring some aggressive approach during WC games otherwise i am pretty sure babar will be coming back again and with more power
Could be because of Shadab's injury record. I know Shaheen had a layoff in 22-23 but Shadab has missed a lot of cricket in his career.

Back