Runs
Full name : Ehsan Adil

Born : March 15, 1993, Sheikhupura

Height : 6 foot 4”

Current age : 19 years 227 days

Major teams : Faisalabad Wolves, Pakistan Under-19s, Habib Bank Limited

Batting style : Right-hand bat

Bowling style : Right-arm fast

Getting into Cricket : Nobody in my family played cricket to a high level. We were all very keen on watching and playing cricket and the interest just built up over the course of time particularly in my early teenage years. Tape ball cricket and street cricket was where it all began for me.

Early Cricketing Days in Faisalabad : I was pushed by friends and family to take my cricket a little more seriously and join a local cricket club in Gojra, Faisalabad. I was 14 when I joined the Friends cricket club in Gojra and had only been a member there for 6 or 7 days when I learnt that trials were taking place for the Faisalabad regional under 15s team. I went to the Faisalabad regional under 15 trials more to see what was going on there rather than thinking that I would be selected. But as luck would have it and thanks to the Almighty, I was selected for Faisalabad Under 15s after impressing the coaching staff (Wasim Haider and Tanvir Shaukat) at the trials.

Under 15s : I played a few matches for the Faisalabad Under 15s. I thought I bowled well for them in my first few matches but the wickets didn’t arrive in great numbers. However thankfully the selectors saw potential in me and I was selected amongst 140 boys for trials for the Pakistan Under 15 squad. Around 10 boys from each region were picked and we all had the chance to show what we could do at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore. From 140 boys, the squad was cut down to 25 players and I was lucky enough to be amongst them. At the training camp things went well and I bowled with good rhythm and impressed the coaches, Sabih Azhar, Azam Khan, Aaqib Javed and Mansoor Rana and I was selected for Pakistan Under 15s.

Under 16s : I moved up through the Under 15 ranks to Under 16 cricket for my region and performed well there. In 5 or 6 matches I took 9 or 10 wickets and also averaged around 35 with the bat. You could say that as a cricketer you start to mature the more you play and at this age level I felt I was really improving as a cricketer.

Regional Under 19s : The natural progression after Under 16 cricket was then onto regional Under 19 cricket. I recall in my first season of Under 19 cricket I only played 5 one day matches and took 11 wickets and made 3 scores of between 30 and 40. In my second season of Under 19 cricket I picked up an injury so that season was a write-off. In my final season of regional under 19 cricket I was awarded the captaincy for Faisalabad. In that season I was asked by a couple of departmental teams to play for them but I wanted to stay loyal to Faisalabad and the regional coaches, particularly Tanvir Shaukat who had supported me from the age of 14 onwards. In my final season, which was last year, of regional Under 19 cricket I was the second highest wicket taker and Faisalabad were the regional champions.

Pakistan Under 19s : The regional Under 19 final when I was captain was in Islamabad last year against Rawalpindi and it was a high profile match and I took 6 wickets in the first innings and then three wickets in the second innings. After that performance I gained national Under 19 selection and I received a phone call from a Pakistan Cricket Board representative during the final informing me that I had been picked for the Under 19 tour of South Africa.

I enjoyed bowling in South Africa on that tour. I feel I didn’t pick up as many wickets as I should have on that tour but as I say I felt good and really enjoyed bowling in those conditions. I also managed to score some quick runs when the team needed them.

Cricketing Heroes : I’ve only ever had one hero and that is Waqar Younis. I loved the way that Waqar bowled those inswinging yorkers at great pace. As far as bowling actions go, Glenn McGrath’s action was impeccable, almost effortless and when I played tape ball cricket in my early days I modelled my action on McGrath.

Under 19 Asia Cup : The Asia cup was a thrilling experience and one that I will never forget no matter how many years I play cricket for. The thrilling 1 run win against India in the group stages was a remarkable game of cricket and then to top that the final against the opposition was a tied match where I managed to restrict the opposition to scoring only 6 runs from the last over and took 2 wickets. My captain approached me and said that I will be bowling the last over and I said I was fine with that. India were in the driving seat but my philosophy is that you never give up until the winning run has been scored or the final wicket has been taken. I just thought back to some of my tape ball matches where I was given the ball in such situations and planned to bowl full and straight.

The final over was going well until the 5th delivery when instead of bowling a yorker I bowled a low full toss which went for four. With India needing only one from the final delivery I thought I had to do something different so I decided to bowl a slower delivery which the batsman hit to mid off. We celebrated as if we had won the tournament as we really managed to tie that match from nowhere.

Under 19 World Cup : The preparations went really well in Pakistan, we particularly worked on our fielding in Lahore and we went to Australia in good spirits and high in confidence. There was a real camaraderie amongst the players and the coaching staff had prepared us for the World Cup really well. We were really confident and won the 3 match series against Australia before the World Cup and things were going according to plan. However one bad session against India where our batting didn’t click meant that we were knocked out. Even then we clawed our way back into the match and could have won the game against India and only a last wicket partnership was the difference. It was heartbreaking but sometimes you learn more from a defeat than you do from victory.

First Class Cricket : I signed with Habib Bank last month after Pakistan Under 19 coach Sabih Azhar spoke with me and he felt that I would as a medium fast bowler get some good opportunities to develop my talents at Habib Bank. KRL also approached me and I nearly signed with them, the only thing that was remaining was the medical, but at the last minute I had a change of heart and signed for Habib Bank.

I joined the pre-season camp with Habib Bank ahead of the President’s Trophy and enjoyed it tremendously and it’s been a good start for me in first class cricket. I was nervous about the jump from Under 19 cricket to first class cricket but a net session with Younis Khan really boosted my confidence. I was bowling to Younis and he said to me after the session that if I continued to bowl at the length I was bowling from my height of 6 foot 4”, I would cause a lot of problems for the batsmen and that I would be amongst the leading wicket takers in the President’s Trophy. For someone of the class of Younis Khan to compliment me like that was just mind blowing. Hasan Raza and Imran Farhat also praised me a lot in practice sessions and in the nets and this really did give my confidence a lift ahead of the season start.

Imran (Farhat) has really helped me a lot in settling into first class cricket. He’s been a real pillar of strength for me. Imran’s told me to just concentrate on pitching the ball up and tease the batsmen into driving at deliveries that they think are there to be driven and before they know it, the ball is in the hands of the slip fielders or the wicketkeeper.

It's been like a dream for me so far in that I'm the leading wicket taker in first class cricket so far. In each match I am coming up against vastly experienced cricketers, batsmen who have big reputations and a lot of runs behind them, but my team mates like Younis Khan, Imran Farhat and Hasan Raza are really guiding me and saying to me that I’m capable of dismissing any batsman.

Stock Delivery : I enjoy bowling Yorkers, but I also enjoy bowling outswingers to the right handers and then surprising them with one that nips back. I’m lucky to have the ability to move the ball both ways.

Pace : At the moment I’m clocking around 135kph. I’ve spoken with my coaches about attempting to gain some more pace and we feel that it will come with some work on a couple of minor technical points. I have an effort delivery but I’m a bowler that relies upon good rhythm and at this stage I’m concentrating more on getting the ball in the right areas.

Batting : I take my batting seriously and feel that I can definitely improve as a batsman. At the moment I’ve been required to score quick runs mostly at Under 19 level, but I feel that I can bat properly and with this chance in domestic cricket I think I can make the most of this opportunity. My aim is to work my way up the batting order with some runs behind me.

The Future : This is my first domestic season and my plan first and foremost is to establish myself in the Habib Bank team and to take as many wickets as possible in every format that I am selected for. I’m learning and playing alongside the likes of Younis Khan, Imran Farhat and Hasan Raza and this can only be a good thing for me. Further down the line I’m like any other young cricketer in Pakistan, I want to play for my country at the senior level and to perform for Pakistan to the best of my ability for many years. Mohammad Amir came and was forgotten so quickly, I don’t want to be forgotten like he was, when my chance comes.

Good one for the near future, needs to get his pace up to atleast 140, and then he can be the bowlimg allrounder we need in tests

135 kph at this stage is completetly OK and he is saying he can gain more pace so if he can get up to 140 and keep swinging it both ways he will be a real asset.

One of my favourite upcoming cricketers from Pakistan. This guy is a special talent and I feel will go far for Pakistan.

Happy to help :)

hi Ian,

offtopic but I read u coached Haryana bowlers recently in a camp.would love if u can shed some light on that

also good to see that you havent lost faith in Indian cricket after Atul incident.hopefully something good comes out of it this time

I thought he was our best pacer in the u19wc. He has all the ingredient to be a successful fast bowler. All the best to him.

get him in soon, the longer it takes, the more he'l change his action and try and become a wicket keeping, jonty rhodes all rounder who can bowl a little off spin

I've liked the lad for the past year. He needs to remain level headed and work hard to get to the next level. Playing with Yk will only improve him and he can learn so much from him.

Hes a special talent

Preformed very well in his debut season of first class cricket, iv got high hopes for this kid

Really hope he keeps developing both his batting and bowling

hi Ian,

offtopic but I read u coached Haryana bowlers recently in a camp.would love if u can shed some light on that

also good to see that you havent lost faith in Indian cricket after Atul incident.hopefully something good comes out of it this time

Atul Sharma was one of about a thousand people I have coached in the past decade. He was a publicist and in the three years coaching I saw him for about 25 days. The rest of the time he was elsewhere doing whatever he was doing, so he is not my product. I spent more time with Dale Steyn than I did with him, yet somehow this is conveniently forgotten. By the same measure why isn't Steyn my product?

I have worked over a few months with the Haryana pacers in recent times and I am pleased to see how well Harshal Patel has done so far. Mohit Sharma is hopefully another who can come through - watch out for him if he stays fit.

The problem with some state teams in India, is a reluctance to take on new concepts and approaches to coaching due to the way things have always been done. Tradition, a need to control players, power and sometimes a lack of understanding of what really works, can have a negative effect on players. Players grow up with a fear of expressing themselves and making mistakes. Instead of an environment of learning it can often be one of a fear of being dropped from a team because they might say something the coach doesn't agree with or like.

Last edited:
Atul Sharma was one of about a thousand people I have coached in the past decade. He was a publicist and in the three years coaching I saw him for about 25 days. The rest of the time he was elsewhere doing whatever he was doing, so he is not my product. I spent more time with Dale Steyn than I did with him, yet somehow this is conveniently forgotten. By the same measure why isn't Steyn my product?

I have worked over a few months with the Haryana pacers in recent times and I am pleased to see how well Harshal Patel has done so far. Mohit Sharma is hopefully another who can come through - watch out for him if he stays fit.

The problem with some state teams in India, is a reluctance to take on new concepts and approaches to coaching due to the way things have always been done. Tradition, a need to control players, power and sometimes a lack of understanding of what really works, can have a negative effect on players. Players grow up with a fear of expressing themselves and making mistakes. Instead of an environment of learning it can often be one of a fear of being dropped from a team because they might say something the coach doesn't agree with or like.

Really this traditional coaching is not working and they need to change the approach.
Btw, any fast bowler you found in Haryana?

thanks

About Atul,I dont say hes your product,I was merely complimenting you on moving on from bad experience you had with him n having faith in Indians n Indiam cricket:)

I saw Harshal Patel n liked wat he got,hopefully he can develop n be a thinking bowler bcoz match awareness is wat I thought he lacked.

agree about traditional coaching,its same size fits all style of coaching,which never works.we gotta try new approaches

looking forward to even bigger role from you in Indian cricket:)

matter of time before he gets a call-up to the senior time, very exciting talent.

desperately need a good quick bowler who can handle the new ball.

Speaking with Ehsan it was evident that there is a real hunger and desire to succeed.

It would be harsh to say there is an arrogance about him, but there is definitely a lot of self belief and confidence.

The guy wants to do well and be the best.

Let's see how he goes......

Ian in your professional opinion how quick could ehasn get if coached properly?

Speaking with Ehsan it was evident that there is a real hunger and desire to succeed.

It would be harsh to say there is an arrogance about him, but there is definitely a lot of self belief and confidence.

Great to hear. If you don't have an abundance of self belief and confidence as a fast bowler, you will find it difficult to survive at international level.

He needs to spend couple of years in domestic cricket. From what i saw in U-19 WC his pace is around 130kph on average nor was he swinging the ball a mile so we have to see if he can keep up his performance for couple of years if he does than select him for national team...

You need such kind of behavior ,arrogance and anger in a fast bowler some times........This is not the negative thing at all in a quick bowler..

Hopefully he dos not has :sami type of enthusiasm...

Top scored with the bat today also with 31 which was more than the likes of Younis Khan, Imran Farhat, Asad Shafiq :)

Junaid Khan
Umar Gul
Mohammad Irfan
Ehsan Adil
Sadaf Hussain
Wahab Riaz
Anwar Ali
Asad Ali
Rahat Ali
Zia-ul-Haq

Pace battery looks promising!

Really excited to see him have a bowl, already a phenomenon in the domestic scene and quite appreciated by :misbah too

Stock Delivery : I enjoy bowling Yorkers, but I also enjoy bowling outswingers to the right handers and then surprising them with one that nips back. I’m lucky to have the ability to move the ball both ways.

To have a little idea...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vaEaATrRKCM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Junaid Khan
Umar Gul
Mohammad Irfan
Ehsan Adil
Sadaf Hussain
Wahab Riaz
Anwar Ali
Asad Ali
Rahat Ali
Zia-ul-Haq

Pace battery looks promising!

Add Umaid Asif too, who's perhaps a bit too old and doesn't have the stats (began late as he completed his studies) but can be really handy for Tests (has real pace, moves the ball boths ways, 6'5'' tall).
There's also Najaf Shah who I think deserved a better debut (I actually hope Rahat Ali doesn't end up like him, few ODI overs when he's Test material!). Also a tall leftie who can swing it both way., operating in the mid 80s I think.

But one if not more amongst Rahat Ali, Asad Ali, Zia ul Haq and Sadaf Hussain will defo. play for the national team sooner than latter.

Last edited:
3 deliveries into his international career and he picks up the wicket of Graeme Smith.

Great start for the youngster.

seems like a McGrath type bowler to me. Hope he takes a bundle to keep Gul out of the ODI side.

Quite good for his youth. He has potential. He is certainly not a test class bowler at this point.

For some reason, he looks more promising then Zia-ul-haq and Aftab. He has made great progress and best part about him is his batting, can become a very handy no.8 in test for us.

He is the man! He is a very intelligent bowler! Shud be given another go in Tests.. He may prove to be a fantastic bowler in future!

I have good feeling for him in future can be a very good bowler for us and got all the time in the world to polish his game and make impact at test level.

To be honest, not that impressive bowler.... He could be easily attacked...

Looks an old fashioned seamer to me. Hits a good length, gets the ball to nip off the seam. Still just a kid so will fill out, probably get a bit quicker. Does seem the type who needs a little bit of juice from the wicket, but certainly looks a very talented prospect.

Being right handed does no harm either!

He seems to pick alot of wickets in domestic, but I haven't been much impressed when I have watched him bowl. Tells alot about the quality of domestic batsmen to be honest.

Anyways he can only bowl to batsmen in front of him and he is still Young. Let's hope he keeps improving.

definitely gonna be one of our main bowlers for the future. Hope he improves his batting though to even just Umar Guls level. He will be lethal if he gains 5mph pace

Ehsan Adil should be in Pakistan Odi/Test squad for Australian series in OCT
he has alot of potential and he is Mentally Strong unlike Current Pakistani Player,s

U.Gul has been Great Fast bowler for us in last few year,s but he is Finshed now Sadly

Ehsan Adil should be in Pakistan Odi/Test squad for Australian series in OCT
he has alot of potential and he is Mentally Strong unlike Current Pakistani Player,s

U.Gul has been Great Fast bowler for us in last few year,s but he is Finshed now Sadly

I have heard he has upped his pace a bit, can you confirm ?

I agree otherwise, i think in ODI best to go with this

Irfan
Ehsan
Junaid

Sadaf or Ehsan is what I keep hearing but to be honest, to me they sound no different to Aizaz Cheema, Wahab Riaz, Asad ali and co. Is there any stand out for these guys cos I don't watch Pak domestic
Trundlers it seems but Sadaf I have hopes of becoming an Asif type bowler(height, swings/seams both ways etc.)

^ ehsan comes across as someone who has a bit of metal plus he didn't look lost on debut. He is fairly tall, if he has added a few more clicks might be worth another look

^ ehsan comes across as someone who has a bit of metal plus he didn't look lost on debut. He is fairly tall, if he has added a few more clicks might be worth another look
seem like trundlers who will be vulnerable to :moakrams terrific methods

Cant criticise selectors for picking him, he was top performer in domestic so deserved a chance. Should have been tried earlier

Needs a few more Matches, maybe not at this world cup.

still believe on a pitch with some juice he will be the most dangerous bowler among all the current crop including Junaid. However majority of the time he will get flat wickets especially in odi's so needs to up his game and should look to hit the deck hard on flat pitches.

The issue isn't whether he is skilled or talented. The worrying part was complete lack of heart and negative body language for a young fast bowler. Every bowler has bad days. Maybe he's hiding an injury?

there has been absolute zero movement in the air or of the pitch for even the likes of Southee and Boult in these 2 games so its harsh to expect him to get some thing out of these tracks.What has been disappointing from him the most is he slips on to the legs quite often for a bowler of his bowling style and speed.

Needs a few more Matches, maybe not at this world cup.

Yeah genius....dust bowls of Uåe or Dhaka or Colombo should be perfect place to "groom" a new medium fast bowler much much better than NZ/As.

He just not have the variety. To bowl on a bouncy yet dead pitch you should be have a slow ball plus a yorker. He does not seem to have either.

I still feel that we should've gone with Zia ul Haq instead of him in the WC squad.

I still feel that we should've gone with Zia ul Haq instead of him in the WC squad.

yep...I wonder why stupid management didnt want to add 5th left arm bowling option in wc squad. :najam

I still think we need to persist with him and give him more chances. What did you guys expect from an inexperienced bowler.

yep...I wonder why stupid management didnt want to add 5th left arm bowling option in wc squad. :najam

Faulty logic. Is it more important to have quality than restrict LH or RH?
If a team can have 4 good quality RH Fast bowlers at same time, why can't we have 4 LH too? Especially if said LH are better than any choices we have in the RH dept.

Faulty logic. Is it more important to have quality than restrict LH or RH?
If a team can have 4 good quality RH Fast bowlers at same time, why can't we have 4 LH too? Especially if said LH are better than any choices we have in the RH dept.
Works great on paper....cricket is played on a pitch though.

:lol:

Ehsan adil shouldnt be discarded so quickly, i feel he is a better suited to test cricket like Rahat. Both should get some chances at test level

Yeah genius....dust bowls of Uåe or Dhaka or Colombo should be perfect place to "groom" a new medium fast bowler much much better than NZ/As.

Why the sarcasm? it's cheap and free, I guess.
Your suggestion implies you don't rate him to do well across all conditions. It's also not very bright considering that the dust bowls of Dhaka will offer inferior opposition as well, so it will meet your objective of giving him an easy introduction in to cricket on helpful pitches. After all isnt obvious that every fast bowler in the world would be a world beater if he gets to groomed on helpful pitches.

He doesn't have the Mongrell in him unfortunately. No punch in his bowling

I fear sadaf hussain might be all hype too. There is a reason why the selectors are reluctant to give chances to trundlers dominating our domestic cricket

Back