The third Test between New Zealand and South Africa ends in a draw, South Africa win series 1-0

Muhammad10

T20I Debutant
Runs
New Zealand Squad
KS Williamson*, NT Broom, C de Grandhomme, MJ Henry, TWM Latham, JDS Neesham, HM Nicholls, JS Patel, JA Raval, MJ Santner, N Wagner, BJ Watling†

South Africa Squad
F du Plessis*, HM Amla, T Bavuma, SC Cook, TB de Bruyn, Q de Kock†, JP Duminy, D Elgar, H Klaasen, KA Maharaj, M Morkel, D Olivier, WD Parnell, VD Philander, DL Piedt, K Rabada

Henry is quality! we don't even have a bowler like him in our main team and he's a NZ reserve...

Kane Williamson looks horrible in terms of reviews, That was stone dead LBW and he didnt even react much

Super batting in testing conditions. South Africa can get a good score now.

This always happens, have a good start before we make some mistakes and the opposition take advantage and go on and crush us.

De Bruyne is a middle order batsman in the domestic league

Not sure why he opened

Hashim Amla’s assured half-century brightened up an otherwise gloomy opening day of the third and final Test between the Standard Bank Proteas and New Zealand at Seddon Park in Hamilton on Saturday.

The tourists reached stumps on a rain-affected day in a fair amount of trouble on 123/4 after Faf du Plessis won a delayed toss and chose to bat first under grey skies.

Amla was the mainstay of the 41 overs that were possible thanks to his 32nd half-century – a fluent 50 (93 balls, 9 fours) that had plenty of signs suggesting the veteran batsman was back to his supreme best.

But it came after the Proteas, who are 1-0 up in the series, were in some early trouble shortly after play began 30 minutes late.

There was a debut for Theunis de Bruyn in place of Stephen Cook at the start of proceedings, with the 24-year-old becoming the 95th cap for South Africa since re-admission. However, his maiden appearance in the middle lasted just three deliveries, before he edged Matt Henry, the pick of the bowlers with 2/25, to Tom Latham at second slip without scoring.

That was at the start of the third over of the day and five deliveries later Dean Elgar was on his way when he misjudged a Colin de Grandhomme (2/43) delivery and was bowled shouldering arms for five.

That left the score on 5/2 and it could have been 28/3 in the 11th over when the Black Caps opted against reviewing an lbw appeal against JP Duminy with the ball tracker technology showing he would have been given out.

The left-hander managed to add 13 more to his total, before a miscued pull of Henry was caught by Jeethan Patel at fine leg for 20.

Wagner could have had Du Plessis on 16 when he edged behind to BJ Watling, but New Zealand were out of reviews by that stage.

However, they did land one more blow for the day when Amla was bowled by De Grandhomme, leaving the South Africans on 97/4.

The skipper, on 33 at the end, and Temba Bavuma (13) then had to dig in until rain arrived midway through the afternoon session to cut the day prematurely.

It's unbelievable that I haven't watched a single ball, live or highlights, of this series

Amla just can't seem to get that big score at the moment. Looked imperious today with not one false stroke until he was bowled. Cricket in places like South Africa, New Zealand and England is always so wonderful to watch. Balanced pitches, good crowds and quality players all combine for some great cricket.

If only they didn't have so much rain.

Standard Bank Proteas batsman, Hashim Amla, says there is enough time in the match to achieve a result, despite the rain-curtailed opening day of the third Test match against New Zealand at Seddon Park in Hamilton on Saturday. Amla top-scored with his 32nd Test half-century, before the rain brought an end to a gripping contest between bat and ball with the score on 123/4 after lunch.

This was Amla’s first fifty of the tour across the formats, a composed and elegant innings which included nine boundaries. He gave credit to New Zealand’s new-look pace attack, which exploited the elements to suit their skills in ‘tough’ batting conditions.

“It was turning out to be a good first day,” he said of the day’s frustrations. “The wicket had a bit of juice in it, and after lunch the ball started to swing a lot more. We are grateful to be in a position with some runs on the board, but we are a long way from a good total on this type of track.

“It was nice to get some runs, I felt good,” he said. “They were tough batting conditions, it stayed overcast, we were hoping it would clear up and then later in the afternoon the cloud cover would come back. It was tough, the guys are going to have to fight through for more runs tomorrow.”

Amla says the mindset and strategy will remain the same despite the weather, which is to capitalise on a big first-innings score with the hope of the seamers having a good run in the lively conditions.

“There is so much time left in the game” he explained. “We may have lost 50-odd overs but you end up making that up over the four days with the extra half an hour every morning. The strategy doesn’t change; you want to bat as big as you can in the first innings and assess from there. We have a long way to go in terms of our batting, we want to try and get a good score on the board to set the game up.”

Faf du Plessis (33) and Temba Bavuma (13) will resume the innings on 123/4 on Sunday. Play will start at 10h30 local time (23h30 SAST), with the remaining overs to be made up throughout the day.

how many games have been interrupted by rain in New Zealand?

De Kock misses out on another hundred, some useful contributions take South Africa to 314.

NZ are in very good position actually, due to the weather loss. Around 280 overs left in the match; if they bat well in 1st innings, there is enough time to force a win. If they don't bat well, I don't think there is enough time for SAF to force a direct result.

Kane hasn't played this well since Aus 2015.

Turning into a special innings.

Excellent knock by Raval to blunt an excellent seam attack.

Im sure Morkel felt like a big man screaming in his face like that.

I dont understand why Kane is soo underrated :(
May be too many cricinfo stat lovers and less actual watchers

I dont understand why Kane is soo underrated :(
May be too many cricinfo stat lovers and less actual watchers
Plays for NZ and hasn't played this well in a while. Scoring at close to 70 is seriously impressive.

Last edited:
Brilliant inning from Kane just when it matters. But for some reason(maybe more rain interruption), I feel the match is going towards a draw and that would mean SA winning the series 1-0.

Morne Morkel will remember the day of his 250th Test wicket as one of hard toil and grit on day three of the third Test match against New Zealand at Seddon Park in Hamilton on Monday. The lanky seamer became the sixth South African bowler to reach the milestone, joining Shaun Pollock (421), Dale Steyn (417), Makhaya Ntini (390), Allan Donald (330) and Jacques Kallis (291) on the all-time wicket-takers list.

Morkel had a successful debut as a fresh 22-year-old against an Indian line-up boasting batting superstars in Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Sourav Ganguly and MS Dhoni, and 11 years on he is faced with another daunting challenge in the form of a rescue-mission to help the Proteas keep the Test match alive with two days to play.

“That was a hard day out in the field,” he said of what he would remember of the occasion. “The outfield was heavy with the amount of rain we had, it was hard graft out there, but I’m sitting here tonight very happy with my performance with the ball. Thinking back 11 years ago when I bowled my first over to Sachin (Tendulkar), I was very nervous, and to think of 250 wickets I’m quite happy with that.”

New Zealand’s top-order showed patient application and discipline following their poor effort in Wellington, an innings anchored by captain, Kane Williamson, who is unbeaten on 148. Williamson remains the key wicket if the Proteas are to change the momentum of the match back in their favour, especially with the limited time remaining in the match.

“They are a quality outfit, they have quality players,” Morkel said of the batting performance. “Upfront they left very well, they played a patient game and waited for us to attack and to come a little bit straighter and scored. The wicket is softer, as soon as the ball loses the hardness it is easier to score. I won’t take anything away from the way they batted, Kane was exceptional and the openers played really well.

“That is the reality, they have gone past us,” he said of the match situation. “There is only one team under pressure and that is us. We need to come with the right attitude tomorrow, and in the second innings it’s up to the batters to bat it out. They are going to come hard at us in our second innings to get the win.

“As a team, in the changeroom we always speak about how we want to be mentally strong and it will be a great way for us to finish the cricket calendar if we can hang on.”

Last edited:
150 for Kane at a strike rate of ~70.

Wants to win the rain hit match and level the series. Captain's knock.

Should be hitting out... need to score quick runs to have any chance of a win.

Not sure what actually Kiwis are trying to achieve - 154 overs left in the game & they are leading by 100+ ....... then their 2 batsmen are batting at 30 & 45 SR!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully NZ keeps batting for many overs here.

Great innings from Kane Williamson. Always liked him the most out of the "Fab 4".

SA gonna miss AB too much in this test match,his 4th inngs saviour mode will be missed

Back