Theo's tips : Variations - Slower deliveries

Theo_14

Post of the Week winner
Runs
Post of the Week
I always consider line and length before pace. However for the ones who play local club cricket - it's vital to have some variations up your sleeve.

When your promoted to senior club level - county cricket etc, it's important to have variations, and develop a 'tactical' mind of approach physcially and mentally.

Rather then using other sources tips, I'd first like to share the variations which I tend to use when it comes to bowling.

Slower ball - It takes heck' alot of practice to bowl your slower deliveries 'accurately'.

Also personally it takes alot of confidence to bowl slower deliveries during matches.

There are different type of slower deliveries, such as...

* The off-cutter
* The leg-cutter
* Back of the hand
* Palm ball
* Split finger
* Action speed

The ones marked in bold and underlined are the ones I use and 'personally' find the easiest.

The split finger is the easiest out of the two. In order to achieve this "place your two fingers in a normal position on the cherry's seam and then **splitt the fingers wide of the seam.** Mcgrath used this delivery during the latter stages of his career.

... And then there's the difficult one, which is the 'back of the hand' slower delivery.

The back of the hand slower ball is the exact opposite to a normal, stock delivery. Instead of bowling the ball, with the hand facing towards the batsmen, the wrist is turned around, so the hand is facing backwards, towards the batsmen. This reduces the amount of speed the ball has, creating a slower ball.

Back of the hand slower balls are achieved by turning the hand the opposite way than normal.

---------------------------​

IF you do try these in net sessions - then please don't focus on your pace, just focus on the way of releasing the delivery in order to achieve that specific slower delivery, along with accurate line and length.

It will feel weird when you first try these techniques - but the more you do it, the more you'll develop these attributes.

I'll post pictures/videos of the two slower deliveries mentioned if anyone still doesn't understand it. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

Thank you for this, will DEFINITELY use them and it was written very nicely. The palm ball is also one which I find easiest to bowl however one that I always find batsmen have problems with is the back of the hand slower ball.

Your very welcome.

Vital thing I missed out. Once you have fully developed your slower deliveries - try and figure out to hide those deliveries when your about to bowl them. Slower deliveries are fairly common in today's cricket, so batsmen tend to pick it up while your running in very easily.

For instance,

Wasim Akram usually had the cherry in his right hand, but switched it quickly to his left hand, as soon as he was about to bowl, so the batsman doesn't pick out what delivery he's out to produce.

I'm working on the legcutter having middle finger on seam, thumb at normal place (seam) and index on the side of the ball, it only works sometimes and i need to get it consistent its also a good slower ball, any tips?

I occasionally use split fingers one and I must say it is quite easier to use that compared to back of hand and I like split fingers one more. I use it occasionally and it is very effective.

I find back of hard slower ball very very hard.

I love bowling slow leg cutters in the nets, especially when they pitch on middle or leg but then jag back a mile from the batsman.

I'm working on the legcutter having middle finger on seam, thumb at normal place (seam) and index on the side of the ball, it only works sometimes and i need to get it consistent its also a good slower ball, any tips?

I'm guessing the reason why it's only working sometimes is because your not practicing on it enough.

It's all about motivation in practicing on a specific delivery. You should try and work on that delivery consistently - turn that weakness into your strength.

Also not always do your variations work - remember even pro cricketers fail in achieving the type of delivery to be exactly how they want.

However my tip would be to practice, practice and practice. Also shall find you some links regarding the specific delivery you've mentioned. :)

Your very welcome.

Vital thing I missed out. Once you have fully developed your slower deliveries - try and figure out to hide those deliveries when your about to bowl them. Slower deliveries are fairly common in today's cricket, so batsmen tend to pick it up while your running in very easily. For instance,

Wasim Akram usually had the cherry in his right hand, but switched it quickly to his left hand, as soon as he was about to bowl, so the batsman doesn't pick out what delivery he's out to produce.

Agreed. Especially with the slower ball delivered from the back of the hand, it becomes easy for batsmen to recognize it coming.

i used to love bowling leg and off cutters nobody could hit

till the batsman figured me out :)) dont think i have bowled one since because i know i will get hit

i will start bowling it again eventually

I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can't bowl and what to bowl at each different batsman.

I normally start off with leg spin. When I think he is getting used to it and coming forward I try a bit of top spin for a possible stumping. I also throw in a yorker occasionally to keep them on their toes.

I also have a scrambled delivery (is that the split finger?) which looks like a quicker leg spin but is slower in flight, if it hits the seam it turns otherwise it skids on.

I would love though to turn the ball both ways. I can flick the ball in the air for off spin and get a good revs but I can't use that in a bowling action. I practice as much as I can but I'm torn between keeping it simple or trying to keep them guessing.

I've found that it's hard to keep to the slower ball when they get used to you and knock you about a bit. If I speed up out of frustration it only plays into their hands.

I think the key to bowling a slower ball is to know when to change the grip....most bowlers change their grip early and that gives away the surprise element of the slower ball. Also it is important to make sure that the action doesnt change much when bowling a slower ball as that can be a give away too

I'm guessing the reason why it's only working sometimes is because your not practicing on it enough.

It's all about motivation in practicing on a specific delivery. You should try and work on that delivery consistently - turn that weakness into your strength.

Also not always do your variations work - remember even pro cricketers fail in achieving the type of delivery to be exactly how they want.

However my tip would be to practice, practice and practice. Also shall find you some links regarding the specific delivery you've mentioned. :)

I've been practising as much as I could in the off-season and I find what has helped me is trying to follow the leg spin videos varying grip, action etc. but most of all 'spin up'.
Also I feel my bowling action has improved by having more control with aiming with a higher left arm and driving it down pulling my right arm up to bowl upwards which increases the spin which (in the ideal world) arcs nicely to about where I wanted it to go.

I have a borrowed saying, 'the more I practise, the luckier I get'. First game of the season this weekend. Here's hoping I get lucky.

Theo if you don't mind me asking, who do you play for?

Theo if you don't mind me asking, who do you play for?

Apologies for the very late reply. Don't post much anymore.

I use to represent Cardiff at County level... Also known as Glamorgan. At club level I now represent Penarth seniors and Penarth U18s.

Back