"There is the ego that gets in the way": Vernon Philander on coaching Pakistani players

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In a recent interview with Saj and PakPassion, Vernon Philander said:

"Pakistan cricket in general, I think is a highly talented bunch, and it has been for a number of years. For me, it's always about how you can calm the egos down. I think you know, in T20 cricket, everyone wants to go out and bash the ball around."

"You know it's almost sad when [Pakistan] don't get across the winning line at the end of the day. But I think for me, it's just to have the composer to really calm those big ego players and make sure that they go out there and clarity of thought comes to mind I think very often the guys can get carried away with the crowds and what's expected of them. But I do feel that [Kirsten] will be the guy that can really manage those highly talented players and sometimes like I say there is the ego you know that gets in the way."

To what extent do you think the egos of our players hinder our progress as a team?

"Pakistan cricket in general, I think is a highly talented bunch, and it has been for a number of years. For me, it's always about how you can calm the egos down. I think you know, in T20 cricket, everyone wants to go out and bash the ball around."

Everyone should want to bash the ball around, not in Pakistan cricket, though where it seems we play for our stats.

I agree with him that we have to have the composure to calm those big ego players. For now, Babar Azam is at the top of the line because I have heard his press conferences,he behaves like he is the king of the system and Mr. Special. But on the field, he rarely wins games for Pakistan in the death overs. He is destroying the career of Fakhar Zaman, and in actuality, he has already done it.

In a recent interview with Saj and PakPassion, Vernon Philander said:

"You know it's almost sad when [Pakistan] don't get across the winning line at the end of the day. But I think for me, it's just to have the composer to really calm those big ego players and make sure that they go out there and clarity of thought comes to mind I think very often the guys can get carried away with the crowds and what's expected of them. But I do feel that [Kirsten] will be the guy that can really manage those highly talented players and sometimes like I say there is the ego you know that gets in the way."

To what extent do you think the egos of our players hinder our progress as a team?
This is not just Pakistani Cricket problem. It's a country problem. People's egos are triggered rather easily and after doing something they feel like King.

"But I think for me, it's just to have the composer to really calm those big ego players and make sure that they go out there and clarity of thought comes to mind I think very often the guys can get carried away with the crowds and what's expected of them. "

You know if someone was to ask me who this quote was about without me knowing I'd suggest Afridi. He used to get sucked in by the crowds expectations.

In this instance, I have no idea who Philander is on about. There is no player I would think about that gets carried away.

he already worked with Pakistan team, so must have experienced what usually happens in our system

If anything our players play too selfishly. No one now a days plays for the crowd. Maybe he is talking about Shahid Afridi.

The word Talent has ruined Pakistan cricket development more than you think.
Yes or no. What has ruined Pakistan is a proper structure where these talented cricketers can be groomed. Pakistan cricket doesn’t have a good infrastructure to groom players that’s why when people see talented players they start cheering for them. If you had a system where the talent was groomed then everybody would look towards domestic cricket. Another thing is PCB doesn’t reward domestic performers as well. They don’t give them a proper chance to showcase their talent.

Back