Totaly Lost The Plot

dhump

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Salam Everyone,

This is more or less a cry of frustration or sharing the gutted feeling or call for advice. I have totally lost my batting completely out of form or touch, bad part is that it is not possible for me to practice even after a lot of tries (No facility available,no space at home to hang ball and try something and dont have much support that any one give me 30 mins throw down if not proper net session).

Today I played 2nd game of seasons bowling was fine I got 4 wickets quite cheaply got hammered in last over for 2 sixes and a 4 but that was not completely heart breaking. Came to bat at no 4 on very crucial time team was in some pressure we lost 3 important wickets for just 24 and captain was relying on me to built up some kind of a partnership with other opener who was going quite well, I batted for 6 overs faced 20 odd balls miss at least 40% (nothing was special in the bowling at all really trust me) and scored just 1 run and got a top edge and got out. Even when I was able to connect the ball it was right in the hands of fielder I felt so much pressure and was totally clueless about everything and we lost (I was no the sole reason for this but I really felt bad). Before last season I was doing very good got avg of 40+ scored few 50s and some really handy 40s and 30s while opening and was able to score boundaries and take singles at will really.

What shall I do do I have any chance to come up and proof something I feel bad for my team they are kind enough not to tell me that I should hang my boots I am not playing all the games but still they give me chances every now and then giving rest to some other players one by one but I really feel for them.

This batting story is not only of this game I am so scared to play the ball on the leg side I always feel that I will get lbw or get bowled what is wrong with me ?? is it really time to hang my boots. I must add that I am 27 and at the best of my fitness I have no issues in running or any other fitness issue one of the most fittest player in the team and doing great in the field.

Some help or advice is strongly needed (cursing,blaming,and giving open advice is totally allowed)

Last edited:
No things are not that bad on my side I have a good life loving family and great job, cricket is the only problem.

you missed the whole thing and just reacted on the cursing part sad sad sad.

No.

There's people in other countries suffering from poverty, sickness and war, and you're here crying about losing the plot over your batting form.

Really, I'm just trying to help you get perspective over things. If you want to get your form back just go back to basics.

Cricket is a friggin game first and foremost. Play it like one. Don't be afraid to lose. Grow a pair.

No.

There's people in other countries suffering from poverty, sickness and war, and you're here crying about losing the plot over your batting form.

Really, I'm just trying to help you get perspective over things. If you want to get your form back just go back to basics.

Cricket is a friggin game first and foremost. Play it like one. Don't be afraid to lose. Grow a pair.

Brother thats why I am posting in a cricket forum in a section where you can get some advice. I dont consider my cricket as the world biggest problem although it is a problem for me directly and I agree with going back to basics part I guess yes this is what I must do some how or stop playing hanging like this make no sense.

Last edited:
When batting,stop thinking how Not to get out...

Just put the bat on ball & relax between overs...............

Don't get nervous & 1 thing that I do to make Me relax is that I pray(Recite a few Surahs,etc.)....

Best of Luck...

You did it before, you can do it again.

(hope that pumped you up!)...

When batting,stop thinking how Not to get out...

Just put the bat on ball & relax between overs...............

Don't get nervous & 1 thing that I do to make Me relax is that I pray(Recite a few Surahs,etc.)....

Best of Luck...

I think so too I think I am going too defensive towards my batting I must let it go and try to attack and take risks playing all safe will not help

You did it before, you can do it again.

(hope that pumped you up!)...

Thanks mate actually yes it did a little :D

You just need to spend more time at the wicket to get your confidence back. Trust me a couple of nicely timed boundaries and your confidence will rocket up again inshallah!

You just need to spend more time at the wicket to get your confidence back. Trust me a couple of nicely timed boundaries and your confidence will rocket up again inshallah!

Yar really I tried that yesterday I think some luck is somehow needed but that was totally against me.

Salam Everyone,

This is more or less a cry of frustration or sharing the gutted feeling or call for advice. I have totally lost my batting completely out of form or touch, bad part is that it is not possible for me to practice even after a lot of tries (No facility available,no space at home to hang ball and try something and dont have much support that any one give me 30 mins throw down if not proper net session).

Today I played 2nd game of seasons bowling was fine I got 4 wickets quite cheaply got hammered in last over for 2 sixes and a 4 but that was not completely heart breaking. Came to bat at no 4 on very crucial time team was in some pressure we lost 3 important wickets for just 24 and captain was relying on me to built up some kind of a partnership with other opener who was going quite well, I batted for 6 overs faced 20 odd balls miss at least 40% (nothing was special in the bowling at all really trust me) and scored just 1 run and got a top edge and got out. Even when I was able to connect the ball it was right in the hands of fielder I felt so much pressure and was totally clueless about everything and we lost (I was no the sole reason for this but I really felt bad). Before last season I was doing very good got avg of 40+ scored few 50s and some really handy 40s and 30s while opening and was able to score boundaries and take singles at will really.

What shall I do do I have any chance to come up and proof something I feel bad for my team they are kind enough not to tell me that I should hang my boots I am not playing all the games but still they give me chances every now and then giving rest to some other players one by one but I really feel for them.

This batting story is not only of this game I am so scared to play the ball on the leg side I always feel that I will get lbw or get bowled what is wrong with me ?? is it really time to hang my boots. I must add that I am 27 and at the best of my fitness I have no issues in running or any other fitness issue one of the most fittest player in the team and doing great in the field.

Some help or advice is strongly needed (cursing,blaming,and giving open advice is totally allowed)

Wasalam bro :)

I can relate to you to some extent bro, and know what you are going through. Let me give you my story, you might find the solution there for yourself:

I captain and open for my team. I had a pretty decent start to the season (not as good as last one though) but just when I smacked the best innings of this season, I was full of confidence and could see the ball like a football … guess what, next innings I got a peach of a delivery (pitched leg and left me to clean my off stump), this was my 1st duck. I just shrugged it off thinking it was almost unplayable so it got me. Donno what happened on that particular bowled, that I actually started to lose my confidence, started doubting myself and fearing the ball. Over the next few innings I think I got 5 ducks and made just 1 or 2 max. I even tried to come down the order but didn’t help … I was about to hang my boots too :D

Big positive thing was that all my team mates were supporting me, only pressure was my own pressure on myself … I had a word with my coach Mudassar Nazar, he actually told me his story of similar woes. What he suggested that don’t go down the order or try to escape the situation, he said it just takes one good shot to snap you out of this trance

- just do your basics right
- keep things simple, don’t complicate them
- stick to your strengths only
- accept your weakness (mine is leg side) and keep yourself away from it for as long as you can (until you are back in confidence)

And that’s exactly what happened as my coach said, it took me just 1 good shot to bring back to form. I was placed for no3, opener fell pretty cheaply and bowlers were right on top. As I was walking towards the wicket I knew I was about to bag another duck (which was totally wrong frame of mind, but I know it’s not easy to shrug it off). I got my first ball and something just woke me up inside, my feet movement was perfect, shot execution was perfect and timing was perfect … I only heard the cracking sound of ball hitting the middle and ball just bulleting away to reach the rope !

I could hear my team mates screaming from joy; next ball I cut for 4 and next one I took 3 … I ended up 39 in 20 balls; gave my wicket away but I was happy and I knew I was back, and so did my team mates. Alhamdulillah since that innings I am doing fine and had another gem of a innings under huge pressure while chasing, came not out with a successful chase :D

This is what I do:

- whatever you do, don’t slog in nets or match, just play proper cricketing shots, keep reminding yourself that you have done that before and you are doing it now
- slow things down for yourself … it’s just like watching the bowler running down towards you in slow motion; keep the focus and just go with the flow

Slowing things down really works for me … this is exactly the frame of mind or zone some call it, when batsman can do anything, the ball just looks like a football.

Remember, right now you are playing inner games with your mind, you need to win this battle … outer game would come automatically :D

Good luck bro … and never ever give up !

Wasalam bro :)

I can relate to you to some extent bro, and know what you are going through. Let me give you my story, you might find the solution there for yourself:

I captain and open for my team. I had a pretty decent start to the season (not as good as last one though) but just when I smacked the best innings of this season, I was full of confidence and could see the ball like a football … guess what, next innings I got a peach of a delivery (pitched leg and left me to clean my off stump), this was my 1st duck. I just shrugged it off thinking it was almost unplayable so it got me. Donno what happened on that particular bowled, that I actually started to lose my confidence, started doubting myself and fearing the ball. Over the next few innings I think I got 5 ducks and made just 1 or 2 max. I even tried to come down the order but didn’t help … I was about to hang my boots too :D

Big positive thing was that all my team mates were supporting me, only pressure was my own pressure on myself … I had a word with my coach Mudassar Nazar, he actually told me his story of similar woes. What he suggested that don’t go down the order or try to escape the situation, he said it just takes one good shot to snap you out of this trance

- just do your basics right
- keep things simple, don’t complicate them
- stick to your strengths only
- accept your weakness (mine is leg side) and keep yourself away from it for as long as you can (until you are back in confidence)

And that’s exactly what happened as my coach said, it took me just 1 good shot to bring back to form. I was placed for no3, opener fell pretty cheaply and bowlers were right on top. As I was walking towards the wicket I knew I was about to bag another duck (which was totally wrong frame of mind, but I know it’s not easy to shrug it off). I got my first ball and something just woke me up inside, my feet movement was perfect, shot execution was perfect and timing was perfect … I only heard the cracking sound of ball hitting the middle and ball just bulleting away to reach the rope !

I could hear my team mates screaming from joy; next ball I cut for 4 and next one I took 3 … I ended up 39 in 20 balls; gave my wicket away but I was happy and I knew I was back, and so did my team mates. Alhamdulillah since that innings I am doing fine and had another gem of a innings under huge pressure while chasing, came not out with a successful chase :D

This is what I do:

- whatever you do, don’t slog in nets or match, just play proper cricketing shots, keep reminding yourself that you have done that before and you are doing it now
- slow things down for yourself … it’s just like watching the bowler running down towards you in slow motion; keep the focus and just go with the flow

Slowing things down really works for me … this is exactly the frame of mind or zone some call it, when batsman can do anything, the ball just looks like a football.

Remember, right now you are playing inner games with your mind, you need to win this battle … outer game would come automatically :D

Good luck bro … and never ever give up !

Thanks mate this is actually very helpful bad for me is that it is not possible for me to do any sort of nets or practice I wanted, the team I am playing in don't have any such facilities not even I ve got any opportunity to walk out with some friends and have some throw downs and after whole year of rest it is really really hard to go directly into match situation and perform (guys do it some of them I play with are doing it but I am not that good I guess). I have asked for time off for tomorrows game I was really not in the mindset to play another game as early as tomorrow and lets see when I get another chance.

I really like the idea of mind game and I will surely try to slow down things in my mind but first thing is to let this feeling of disappointment and helplessness go which is still here. And wow luxury of having a coach and that is one like Muddasir Nazar is really something far far faaaar faaar away from me.

Last edited:
Thanks mate this is actually very helpful bad for me is that it is not possible for me to do any sort of nets or practice I wanted, the team I am playing in don't have any such facilities not even I ve got any opportunity to walk out with some friends and have some throw downs and after whole year of rest it is really really hard to go directly into match situation and perform (guys do it some of them I play with are doing it but I am not that good I guess). I have asked for time off for tomorrows game I was really not in the mindset to play another game as early as tomorrow and lets see when I get another chance.

I really like the idea of mind game and I will surely try to slow down things in my mind but first thing is to let this feeling of disappointment and helplessness go which is still here. And wow luxury of having a coach and that is one like Muddasir Nazar is really something far far faaaar faaar away from me.

If you don’t have the possibility to do nets, I would suggest to do at least 30 minutes of throw downs before the match. Ask a mate to pitch up the ball to you so you can drive, don't slog and don’t try to hit the ball hard at all, just time it well, and don't smash every ball; remember defending a good ball with proper shot is as good as smashing for 4 !

I would suggest you go to the match tomorrow, even if you are not playing spend some time in throw downs, and if possible just play like a 12th man for fielding only and enjoy the game and run around ... this way you won’t have any pressure on you, so try to relax and see/observe what other batsmen are doing, their feet movement, shot execution/selection etc. you'll see that they are not doing something which you can't do too ... it’s as simple as that :)

There is no hiding from your problem ... only way to solve it is to go after it, fight for the solution until you get it ... it might not be easy path but for sure you'll reach there ... you might have hit the bottom already, so there is no way further down, only way is up :)

Go get them mate !

If you don’t have the possibility to do nets, I would suggest to do at least 30 minutes of throw downs before the match. Ask a mate to pitch up the ball to you so you can drive, don't slog and don’t try to hit the ball hard at all, just time it well, and don't smash every ball; remember defending a good ball with proper shot is as good as smashing for 4 !

I would suggest you go to the match tomorrow, even if you are not playing spend some time in throw downs, and if possible just play like a 12th man for fielding only and enjoy the game and run around ... this way you won’t have any pressure on you, so try to relax and see/observe what other batsmen are doing, their feet movement, shot execution/selection etc. you'll see that they are not doing something which you can't do too ... it’s as simple as that :)

There is no hiding from your problem ... only way to solve it is to go after it, fight for the solution until you get it ... it might not be easy path but for sure you'll reach there ... you might have hit the bottom already, so there is no way further down, only way is up :)

Go get them mate !

Thanks mate yes this 12th man thing is a brilliant Idea it would be fun to be around and cheer for the team without burden of pressure and may get a chance to bat a little if some one is free for a while.

I know hiding here will only mean that I would leave the game and there will hardly be any comeback I played well before and enjoyed my game a lot and can do it again INSHALLAH.

I had a terrible season last year. Felt completely and utterly lost with the bat until I had some games in ramadhan, where I just decided to go all out slog mode :)afridi) and managed to regain some form. It was too little, too late in the season though.

Get your eyes tested. Seriously.

In my mid 20's I noticed a decline in my batting. I got my eyes checked, got contacts and doubled my average.

My batting was declining with my eyesight.

So are you going to go tomorrow?

I went yesterday had a good laugh with team mates didnt stay for whole day our team won easily scored 320 and got them all for 80 odd score so it was a good day for our team I am happy.

I had a terrible season last year. Felt completely and utterly lost with the bat until I had some games in ramadhan, where I just decided to go all out slog mode :)afridi) and managed to regain some form. It was too little, too late in the season though.

Yes I am sure there will be some shots and then I will get my form back INSHALLAH.

not trying to be funny here...

1. practice.

2. practice against lower level players to feel good about game

3. bat down the order (when you might face lower lvl or tired bowlers) to regain touch

4. bring your self back slowly to where you want to be

i know it sounds crap, but hey it works in little leagues, all you need is the confidence going and you have to be doing good against someone, so what if its lower level players, just get the mojo going, and try...

not trying to be funny here...

1. practice.

2. practice against lower level players to feel good about game

3. bat down the order (when you might face lower lvl or tired bowlers) to regain touch

4. bring your self back slowly to where you want to be

i know it sounds crap, but hey it works in little leagues, all you need is the confidence going and you have to be doing good against someone, so what if its lower level players, just get the mojo going, and try...

This actually does helps I guess it is all in the confidence I am good for this level cause I scored a lot playing against similar quality bowlers in same league and won matches its just a bad patch which is just not going away :) but yes playing against low quality players does help the confidence and never the less practice is practice.

I have a game this Saturday so lets see what happens.

So after all this we won this years League of our state and now will play for German Championship. I didn't performed any miracle, except I stayed on the wicket to support a guy who was playing an amazing inning in a must win game and scored final runs after he got out in last over with 4 runs still needed. I think my form was terrible and I didn't practiced at all (no opportunity available) but played my part in the team I was there for the captain without any complains played as opener and also as the last man :) bowled overs when needed got a 5fer as well :) so not so bad it is good to be part of winning team . End of the day it is all about fun :yk

Good for ya mate! Glad to see you growing in confidence and congratulations to you and your team!

Back