Triple centuries thread

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
There is a triple century scored in every country if we talk about top 8 nations except South Africa. Most triple centuries are scored in England and West Indies, 7 Times in both countries by 6 different players.

So far South Africa is the only country from top 8 where no triple century is scored. The highest score in South Africa is 275 by Gary Kirsten. Stephen Fleming also scored 262 in South Africa against South Africa.

25ad.png

So can we expect a triple century in South Africa in next few years? I know South Africa is a graveyard for most of SC batsmen...and for most of the batsmen who can't handle fast bowling so it's going to be tough...

Last edited:
There is a triple century scored in every country if talk about top 8 nations except South Africa.

So far South Africa is the only country from top 8 where no triple century is scored.

Well, if you see the amount of games being played in each country then Aus, Eng & WI are in top. So I will expect to see more triple centuries in those places.

There have been substantially more tests in India than SA but only one triple hundred. NZ has also seen more test cricket with only one triple hundred. I would think we that will see a triple hundred in SA as well but there is no way to predict the time line. If every country had 4-5 and SA had zero then it would look bit out of place.

Last edited:
You need the best of the best to score a triple century there. The ball is swinging left and right and with dale steyn you can forget it.

For the famous flat track India has the least amount of triple centuries. i guess the spin option takes it out. TBH of all the SC batsmen

I think in some late future we will see a batsmen who will break that record. Mind you if the likes of previous triple centurion were not able to do it i don't think it will break so easily.

So can we expect a triple hundred in South Africa in next few years?

I adamantly believe nobody can expect a triple century to be scored in South Africa in the coming years, possibly for a whole decade at least. The reason for my opinion is that despite the inclination towards providing flatter pitches around the world and the general decline of bowling-friendly wickets, South Africa has managed to maintained much of its traditions (in terms of the state of pitches it provides on a regular basis) and the occurrence that its pitches are favourable to the bowling aspect of the game has remained relatively unchanged, completely conveyed across by the batting average in the country - it is the lowest in the world, evident with these statistics:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...batting_average;template=results;type=batting).

Furthermore, with the potency of South Africa's current attack, featuring the likes of Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander who are virtually unstoppable in their home conditions, I don't think that batsmen, especially of the foreign standard, stand any chance of acquiring a triple century in the country.

Last edited:
Well, if you see the amount of games being played in each country then Aus, Eng & WI are in top. So I will expect to see more triple centuries in those places.

There have been substantially more tests in India than SA but only one triple hundred. NZ has also seen more test cricket with only one triple hundred. I would think we that will see a triple hundred in SA as well but there is no way to predict the time line. If every country had 4-5 and SA had zero then it would look bit out of place.

But i personally feel it's not about the number of matches being played...I think it's about strength of the team (bowling, batting) and opposition...

For example there were no tripple centuries scored in Pakistan till 1998 which means no triple century in first 114 Test matches played in Pakistan but thn 4 triple centuries in next 37 Test matches from 1998-2009

Here is the list of countries sorted by the number of Test matches played there...

xpb8.png

You will notice there are more Test Matches played in SA thn in Pak, NZ or SL...but SA is the only country where batsmen average less thn 30.

SA has sporting bowler friendly conditions , great bowlers are always part of their team but then I wonder why have even the home batsmen failed to score a triple ton ?

Could it be due to the fact that the conditions in SA are so bowler friendly that even the away bowlers are hard to score against ? I mean even a bowler like Sree Santh turns into a Malcom Marshall while bowling on Saffie pitches.

You need the best of the best to score a triple century there. The ball is swinging left and right and with dale steyn you can forget it.

For the famous flat track India has the least amount of triple centuries. i guess the spin option takes it out. TBH of all the SC batsmen

Well that's right and i personally i feel we can only expect a triple century in SA when bowling attack of one team is enough weak or the pitch is good enough for batting...

Best example is this match:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/238206.html

Flemmng scored 262 and Franklin scored 122 and in total NZ scored 593 in 1st innings. In next innings SA scored 512 where Amla scored 149 and Prince also scored a century.

I adamantly believe nobody can expect a triple century to be scored in South Africa in the coming years, possibly for a whole decade at least. The reason for my opinion is that despite the inclination towards providing flatter pitches around the world and the general decline of bowling-friendly wickets, South Africa has managed to maintained much of its traditions (in terms of the state of pitches it provides on a regular basis) and the occurrence that its pitches are favourable to the bowling aspect of the game has remained relatively unchanged, completely conveyed across by the batting average in the country - it is the lowest in the world, evident with these statistics:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...batting_average;template=results;type=batting).

Furthermore, with the potency of South Africa's current attack, featuring the likes of Dale Steyn and Vernon Philander who are virtually unstoppable in their home conditions, I don't think that batsmen, especially of the foreign standard, stand any chance of acquiring a triple century in the country.

But what you think if somewhere in the near future SA don't have too many good bowling options or if they are playing against a weak bowling attack in SA? So we can expect a triple century?

I will give this match as an example:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/238206.html

It is one country that I am always glued to the tv when watching test cricket. The ball moves around, it bounces and the ball flies through. The pace and bounce of the pitches allow you to play a wide range of strokes but there is less room for error and you can't be sloppy as a batsman.

Fantastic place to play cricket cue their outstanding teams since readmission.

SA has sporting bowler friendly conditions , great bowlers are always part of their team but then I wonder why have even the home batsmen failed to score a triple ton ?

Could it be due to the fact that the conditions in SA are so bowler friendly that even the away bowlers are hard to score against ? I mean even a bowler like Sree Santh turns into a Malcom Marshall while bowling on Saffie pitches.

Yea i personally feel that too just look at the number of matches stats i shared above. SA is the only place where overall batsmen average less thn 30 and everywhere else the average is between 31-34

You will notice there are more Test Matches played in SA thn in Pak, NZ or SL...but SA is the only country where batsmen average less thn 30.

Pak and SL have most flat wickets around the world. As soon as bowling is mediocre , some good batsmen will exploit it. I remember SL used to prepare some of the roads with only goal to draw a test match. Jayasuriya made 300+ when SL batted for 3 full days.

Pak and SL have most flat wickets around the world. As soon as bowling is mediocre , some good batsmen will exploit it. I remember SL used to prepare some of the roads with only goal to draw a test match. Jayasuriya made 300+ when SL batted for 3 full days.

Yup even i remember that Sanga+Mahela partnership where they scored 620+ in Colombo against SA.

Even in English and Australian conditions the overall average per wicket is 31+ and only in SA it comes down to less thn 30, in all other countries it's between 31-34

Lanka is a graveyard for fast bowlers while South Africa is a graveyard for batsmen who can't handle fast bowling...

Surprisingly when we look at the number of double centuries scored in different countries India jump to #3 with 40 double centuries scored in India. India was on bottom in the list of triple centuries with only 1 triple century scored in India.

Here is the list of countries sorted by amount of double centuries scored there. South Africa is still on bottom:

icuv.png

I'll back Amla or AB to be the first.

Which means another triple century for Amla...Well he was also the first player from SA to score a triple century...

i see 4 triple centries in pakistan..one by Inzi, sewag, mark taylor, who is forth one is that hanif mohammad?

Webguru could you list all the players who scored triple hundred in every country? like i am wonder who scored triple hundred in NZ?

i see 4 triple centries in pakistan..one by Inzi, sewag, mark taylor, who is forth one is that hanif mohammad?

You missed Younis 313 :facepalm:

Webguru could you list all the players who scored triple hundred in every country? like i am wonder who scored triple hundred in NZ?

Wally Hammond did it in NZ...

Here is the full list bro...

4g16.png

Well, Only hanif Mohammad made it in 2nd innings.

I dont think so that anyone will score a tripe in SA, becasue of T20 cricket , batsmen are lacking patience to stay at wicket for longer duration that we had seen in past.

Batsmen likes of Amla, Azhar Ali etc may do it.

Nice stat, Web, validates that SA still is the toughest place to bat.

Nice stat, Web, validates that SA still is the toughest place to bat.

i think the CSA has not gone the Oz way yet in terms of maximizing gate revenue or broadcast fees by putting out pitches that last at least 4 days.

So the Highest score in South Africa is 275? Not too far from a triple

I'd back Amla to do it against India this coming series. He usually handles them very well.

South Africa is too cut-throat for that. You wont see lottery scores here.
Since readmission (excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh) the opposition average 25 runs per wicket. South Africa themselves dont find it easy as they average around 32 runs per wicket.

Best place to watch a proper contest between bat and ball is South Africa.

I dont see anyone scoring a triple hundred in South Africa anytime soon including Amla and AB.
CSA is the most sensible board out there, they dont care too much about gate receipts or TV revenues not at the expense of quality cricket. They are even willing to lose money during the South African summer by allowing SA games to be broadcast on free to air channel i.e. SABC.

I dont see anyone scoring a triple hundred in South Africa anytime soon including Amla and AB.
CSA is the most sensible board out there, they dont care too much about gate receipts or TV revenues not at the expense of quality cricket. They are even willing to lose money during the South African summer by allowing SA games to be broadcast on free to air channel i.e. SABC.

But they forsake entire test matches in favour of Twenty20 games, which is a shame.

South Africa is truly the best place for cricket.

Lovely stadiums, excellent weather and pitches that are supportive to both good batting and bowling.

but there'll never be a fair contest between bat and ball as long as Steyn and Philtrundler are alive. :hafeez

S.A probably provides most toughest and sporting conditions in the world in general when it comes to batting, u very rarely get placid or flat surfaces so scoring triple hundreds will also be a mamouth task, even gettting doubles in these conditions is usually very tough as well. Maybe someone will do it one day and it would be some effort to watch.

Another possibility is if SA play a Test in Bloemfontein or in East London which are not traditional Test venues and are flat as pancakes

I rate cape town pitch as best in the world, it has every thing, pace/bounce for bowlers who bend their backs, spin from day 3 onward, encourages stroke play for good technique batsmen.

Donald raised an interesting point in this article that somewhat flat wickets are better for grooming fast bowlers than 'pitch it in right areas and pitch will do the rest sort of pitches.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/PakistaninSA/Donald-SA-depth-a-bit-thin-20130212

? South Africa did not cancel Tests. We still played two Tests and 5 in total.

As opposed to the FTP recommended three. Not to mention morphing the traditional Boxing Day test at Durban to a T20.

Not trying to sound condescending, just pointing out the facts - you're no better than the rest of us.

As opposed to the FTP recommended three. Not to mention morphing the traditional Boxing Day test at Durban to a T20.

Not trying to sound condescending, just pointing out the facts - you're no better than the rest of us.

there was a reason for that i think Firdose Moonda touched on the issue. But CSA will never cancel a test for T20.
I'm not sure if New Zealand arrived late in the country because of a previous tour or internal issues, as a result the test were pushed back to january. I think 1 Test was cancelled because we would have had 3 days to prepare for the 1st Test against Pakistan.

Remember there was alot of buzz in the country and everyone wanted to see the test team that became #1 and had not played at home in over a year. So cancelling a test for T20 would not make sense.

I rate cape town pitch as best in the world, it has every thing, pace/bounce for bowlers who bend their backs, spin from day 3 onward, encourages stroke play for good technique batsmen.

Donald raised an interesting point in this article that somewhat flat wickets are better for grooming fast bowlers than 'pitch it in right areas and pitch will do the rest sort of pitches.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/PakistaninSA/Donald-SA-depth-a-bit-thin-20130212

i disagree on that otherwise South Africa would not produce quality bowlers.
Bowling on conducive wickets does not mean you get a wicket for just pitching it in.
You have to bend your back and pitch it up in the right areas and you will eventualy get your rewards.
If anything i will argue that fast tracks instills discipline in fast bowlers. Instead of getting carried away with pace, bounce and bowling short or short of length. Thats what most asian bowlers struggle with in SA they dont find the balance between bowling full but not too full.

Another possibility is if SA play a Test in Bloemfontein or in East London which are not traditional Test venues and are flat as pancakes

SA played 4 matches there against Bangladesh. Two in 2002 and Two in 2008 and won all the 4 matches by an innings and 100+ runs...

I think a major reason can be that two of the greatest batsmen SA produced Greame Pollock and Barry Richards have less than 30 tests b/w them.

Ashraful can score a triple century against SA

In stick cricket

(He aint playing cricket anymore)

SA played 4 matches there against Bangladesh. Two in 2002 and Two in 2008 and won all the 4 matches by an innings and 100+ runs...

obviously South Africa dont play for personal mile stones and will be a bit aggressive increasing chances of dismissal especialy when playing minnows.

South Africa is too cut-throat for that. You wont see lottery scores here.
Since readmission (excluding Zimbabwe and Bangladesh) the opposition average 25 runs per wicket. South Africa themselves dont find it easy as they average around 32 runs per wicket.

Best place to watch a proper contest between bat and ball is South Africa.

True. No wonder the BCCI hates you guys. I don't see this lasting for too long though, CSA won't be able to survive by remaining in the BCCI's bad books.

The PCB is barely managing to.

Unfortunately Pakistani batsmen in SA rarely score a triple ten (30), never mind a triple ton.

But I have this feeling Hafeez will silence all critics once and for all next time he is in SA and score 300

What is the highest score by a visiting batsman in SA?

And what is the highest score by a visiting SC batsman in SA?

What is the highest score by a visiting batsman in SA?

And what is the highest score by a visiting SC batsman in SA?

262 by Fleming and 169 by Sachin

There is no SC player with a double in SA

10 best triple centuries in Test cricket ever (including 400)?

This is my list in order of merit of the best triple centuries ever scored in test cricket.They are the equivalent of scaling the Everest. I have ranked them considering situation of the game ,impact, opposition ,technical correctness and time.

1.Hanif Mohamad 337 at Barbados in 1957-58

May not have been entertaining but revealed batting perfection in heights of divinty on fast wicket.Phenomenal concentration resembling a monk meditation,resilience of a boulder defying the most stormy gale and perfect technique reminiscent of a surgeon performing an operation.Above all ressurected Pakistan from the grave.

2.Lawrence Rowe 302 at Barbados in 1974.v England.

Classical technique exhibited with characteristic grace .In testing conditions revealed surgical skill in manipulating the ball.

3.Virendra Sehwag 319 v South Africa at Chennai in 2008

Arguably even Bradman would not have equalled domination in these regions reaching heights of the sublime.Reminiscent of a boxer and magician rolled into one.Hit the ball with thunderous power creating impact of an explosion.

4.Virendra Sehwag 309 at Multan in 2004

Batting domination at its ultimate height creating one of Indian cricket's most defining moments.Majestic strokes.

5.Don Bradman 334 at Leeds in 1930

Took domination in batting to another realm like a creature arriving from another planet.

6=Brian Lara 375 in 1994 and 400 n.o at Antigua in 2004.

No batsmen ever resembled an invincible emperor annexing territory after territory.Scored in dead rubbers but achieved landmarks unequalled in cricket history on both occasions to register the highest test score ever.Posessed the classic element of the Lara artistry and imagination like a mountaineer scaling a peak twice none ever did before.Still I feel not the best innings of Lara considering all factors and not equal to his 277 at Sydney , 153 n.o at Barbados or 213 at Kingston al versus Australia.One of sport's most majestic sights witnessing Lara reach pinnacle of glory twice.His 400 resembled a Muhammad Ali ressurected from the grave when regaining world record score,10 years after setting his forts record.

8.Gary Sobers 365 n.o v Pakistan in 1957-58 at Kingston

Classical exhibition of concentration blended with technical skill.

9.Hashim Amla 311 v England at the Oval in 2011

Unique batsmanship against a very strong English team playing a major role in South Africa reaching the mantle of the official best team in test cricket.Built the innings with meticuluos planning and organization resembling a sculptor or surgeon at work as well as deep depth of concentration.

10.Graham Gooch 333 at Lords in 1990 v India

Superlative domination of bowling like the dictates of an emperor.Regal strokeplay.

Last edited:
Please come here [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION] [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] @Ab Fan [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] Love your participation

This is my list in order of merit of the best triple centuries ever scored in test cricket.They are the equivalent of scaling the Everest. I have ranked them considering situation of the game ,impact, opposition ,technical correctness and time.

1.Hanif Mohamad 337 at Barbados in 1957-58

May not have been entertaining but revealed batting perfection in heights of divinty on fast wicket.Phenomenal concentration resembling a monk meditation,resilience of a boulder defying the most stormy gale and perfect technique reminiscent of a surgeon performing an operation.Above all ressurected Pakistan from the grave.

2.Lawrence Rowe 302 at Barbados in 1974.v England.

Classical technique exhibited with characteristic grace .In testing conditions revealed surgical skill in manipulating the ball.

3.Virendra Sehwag 319 v South Africa at Chennai in 2008

Arguably even Bradman would not have equalled domination in these regions reaching heights of the sublime.Reminiscent of a boxer and magician rolled into one.Hit the ball with thunderous power creating impact of an explosion.

4.Virendra Sehwag 309 at Multan in 2004

Batting domination at its ultimate height creating one of Indian cricket's most defining moments.Majestic strokes.

5.Don Bradman 334 at Leeds in 1930

Took domination in batting to another realm like a creature arriving from another planet.

6=Brian Lara 375 in 1994 and 400 n.o at Antigua in 2004.

No batsmen ever resembled an invincible emperor annexing territory after territory.Scored in dead rubbers but achieved landmarks unequalled in cricket history on both occasions to register the highest test score ever.Posessed the classic element of the Lara artistry and imagination like a mountaineer scaling a peak twice none ever did before.Still I feel not the best innings of Lara considering all factors and not equal to his 277 at Sydney , 153 n.o at Barbados or 213 at Kingston al versus Australia.One of sport's most majestic sights witnessing Lara reach pinnacle of glory twice.His 400 resembled a Muhammad Ali ressurected from the grave when regaining world record score,10 years after setting his forts record.

8.Gary Sobers 365 n.o v Pakistan in 1957-58 at Kingston

Classical exhibition of concentration blended with technical skill.

9.Hashim Amla 311 v England at the Oval in 2011

Unique batsmanship against a very strong English team playing a major role in South Africa reaching the mantle of the official best team in test cricket.Built the innings with meticuluos planning and organization resembling a sculptor or surgeon at work as well as deep depth of concentration.

10.Graham Gooch 333 at Lords in 1990 v India

Superlative domination of bowling like the dictates of an emperor.Regal strokeplay.

Please include McCullums 302 vs India at Wellington in 2014.

One of the greatest innings EVER in modern times :)

There is everyone else and there is my man Hanny Mohd. It is Man effort against Superman effort

Unfortunately Pakistani batsmen in SA rarely score a triple ten (30), never mind a triple ton.

But I have this feeling Hafeez will silence all critics once and for all next time he is in SA and score 300

I posted that in 2013 ? :) surely someone must have hacked my account ...

Back