Two men arrested on terrorism offences along London's Pall Mall

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Two men have been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences after their car was stopped along Pall Mall in central London, police have said.

The pair, both 34 and from east London, were spotted acting suspiciously in a car in Westminster at around 12.10am on Thursday and were stopped by armed officers in Pall Mall, the Metropolitan Police said.

They were arrested under the Terrorism Act and taken to a police station where they are still being held.

No guns were fired and a counter-terror investigation has been launched, the force added.

The UK terror level was increased from "substantial" to "severe" last week following attacks in France and Austria, meaning an attack on UK soil is now considered "highly likely".

Head of the Met's counter terrorism command Commander Richard Smith said: "Every day, police officers are on patrol across the capital, watching for suspicious behaviour and stopping people they suspect may be involved in criminality.

"Following the increase to the UK threat level from terrorism last week - as a precautionary measure - I would like to emphasise that the public should be alert but not alarmed."

https://news.sky.com/story/two-men-arrested-on-terrorism-offences-along-londons-pall-mall-12130812

They were arrested just based on suspicion.

I think arrest shouldn't happen unless they find definite proofs (weapons, tactical gears etc.).

I think arrest shouldn't happen unless they find definite proofs (weapons, tactical gears etc.).

You charge someone when you have close to definite evidence but to arrest someone the threshold of evidence is, understandably, lower. You won’t be able to search someone’s house, phones, computers etc properly until they’re arrested.

There's been a lot of criticism of suspects being released both in France and Austria who went on to commit atrocities recently so I suppose now the police are being extra vigilant and that might mean some false alarms. Or even stitch ups.

Back