[VIDEO] Azeem Rafiq files a legal claim against Yorkshire County Cricket Club

Not surprised by the response on here of blaming Rafique, just look at posts re taking the knee etc. Racism to many is the figment of people's imagination and nothing needs to be done.

I hope the book is thrown at Yorkishire but will ECB actually go through with it!

'You guys' being not just us but the ECB and also Yorkshire Cricket admitting to what happened...yet it's 'you guys fall for the racism card easily'

You're also conflating what he does outside of cricket with his 'friends' to what happened and which was investigated.

Reading someone's statement about not being racist doesn't inturn mean they've not said racist stuff. We had users on here say, and I paraphrase 'I've read the Ballance statement and it sounds like he's telling the truth' all the while blaming Azeem for what happened.

I feel some of the users on here don't even read what the hell happened and will willingly be okay with a statement made by the guilty party, but in the same breathe also put the blame on the person being abused.

Enough of the 'He shouldn't have been drinking or going to parties and okay with being called *insert racist word*' crap.

The ECB are correct because Yorkshire have mishandled the situation. They deserve punishement for their lack of action but there is also a bit of trial by media at play here. Yorkshire were very much doomed as soon as an allegation was made. Most of us that have played cricket at any level in the UK will know there is racism in the cricketing establishment.

However in this case specifically it is incredibly strange that someone would entertain the same people and visit the homes of people they are being 'abused' by. Gary Ballance statement is quite believable and easily verifiable. I dont know him personally but I I still sympathise with Azeem as I think he experienced a bit of an identity crisis - something that many Asian youngsters do.

Infact I can guarantee you will soon hear of more of Azeems own antics from players around him but they will be drowned out by his supporters.

And I know you are dismissive of the drinking part, perhaps for personal reasons, I dont really care.

But for many of us it is of critical importance, especially those of us with children who will learn of cases like this.

You have 100% gotta protect and respect yourself first before other people will.Someone made a great point about how Adil Rashid rose to the top of the Yorkshire and English game....thats the example we should be looking at.

Anyway, I look forward to hearing the rest outcome of the rest of the report. Maybe it will bring change in the game. I hope Azeem gets the help he needs and deserves but something inside me remains sceptical.

Michael Vaughan

The Azeem Rafiq-Yorkshire story has dominated the news and as a pundit I would normally comment on what has happened.

But it has been very difficult for me to speak about it and I want to explain why that has been the case.

From Azeem’s early days at Yorkshire, I was a massive fan of this young, dynamic player. He thought out of the box and that excited me. He got Yorkshire going. He was full of energy and buzz. I felt that he had something about him and I was vocal about the fact that I thought he potentially had a good career ahead of him.

As a lover of cricket and Yorkshire, and someone who has been a fan of Rafiq, it has been difficult to hear about the painful experiences he endured during his time at the club.

But as difficult as that process has been, I recognise that it is equally necessary. At an individual level, it is clear that Azeem has endured a lot. It is not only right but essential that his experiences and his perspective are heard. There are unquestionably lessons to be learned.

The statements made by Gary Ballance and others have laid bare awkward but necessary questions for cricket to answer regarding how dressing rooms, teams and individuals function in the modern era.

In December 2020 I was asked to speak to the independent panel formed by Yorkshire to investigate Rafiq’s claims. Other than having well-known and longstanding associations to the club I had no idea why they wanted to speak to me but I agreed to make myself available.

The night before I was due to give evidence, out of the blue, I was hit with the news that Rafiq was alleging that in 2009, when I was still a player and before a Yorkshire match against Nottinghamshire, I had said to Rafiq and two other Asian players as we walked onto the field together that there are “too many of you lot, we need to do something about it”.

This hit me very hard. It was like being struck over the head with a brick. I have been involved in cricket for 30 years and never once been accused of any remotely similar incident or disciplinary offence as a player or commentator. That the allegation came completely out of the blue and more than a decade after it was alleged to have happened made it all the more difficult to process.

I completely and categorically deny that I ever said those words. I responded to the panel by saying I was gobsmacked and that my professional legal advice was that I could not appear before a panel having had just a few hours’ notice of the such serious claims made against me.

It was 11 years after the alleged event. Nothing at all was raised or said at the time of the game in question. It was not mentioned at the time or at any stage over the next 11 years until the night before I was asked to speak to the inquiry.

Rafiq is pursuing an ongoing live compensation claim against Yorkshire. He announced that at the same time as I was asked to speak with the Yorkshire panel. My legal team sent a series of questions to the Yorkshire panel asking about guarantees of confidentiality, the terms of reference and which inquiry - the Yorkshire one or the employment tribunal - had precedence. It seemed remarkable to me and to my advisors that there were to be two parallel inquiries into substantially the same issues, with the potential for different findings on those same issues.

The answers we received from the panel were not satisfactory so I declined to appear before the Yorkshire hearing, pending clarification on the nature of any claims that would also be addressed in Rafiq’s compensation claim through the Employment Tribunal.

I have nothing to hide. The “you lot” comment never happened. Anyone trying to recollect words said 10 years ago will be fallible but I am adamant those words were not used. If Rafiq believes something was said at the time to upset him then that is what he believes. It is difficult to comment on that except to say it hurts me hugely to think I potentially affected someone. I take it as the most serious allegation ever put in front of me and I will fight to the end to prove I am not that person.

It was also alleged that later, when I was advising Yorkshire on playing matters, I said in front of Azeem that Yorkshire should sign Kane Williamson as a Twenty20 player because he bowls off-spin as well as bats. Azeem states in his evidence that bowling “off-spin” was said in his presence to make him feel inferior.

First of all I would never have said that in front of a group. My relationship with Yorkshire was to watch on match days and give a view on how they could improve. I saw the way Williamson played in Twenty20 cricket and recognised that we needed three-dimensional cricketers in our top four who could score runs, bowl overs and field well. Never have I discriminated against anyone or judged a player based on race.

All I ask and all I have ever asked is ‘how can we improve as a team?’ By suggesting Yorkshire sign Williamson I was attempting to improve the team and my cricket knowledge suggests that was the right call. Again, it hurts to be told that Rafiq believes that in recommending the signature of Williamson, I was attacking him and that I was doing so on grounds of race.

In time, I am more than happy to meet with Azeem. I would welcome it. I would like to sit with him, listen to what he went through and understand his perspective. It has been very hard for me to communicate with him directly for legal reasons but I hope we can now talk in person and understand each other’s point of view.

I absolutely deny that I ever said what he claims and that I recommended Kane Williamson for anything other than purely cricketing reasons. But having heard what has come out in the last few days, I can see how his perspective, and his experience was clearly very different to how I saw things at Yorkshire at that time.

I played professional cricket for 18 years between 1991 and 2009. All players in that period are now looking back on things that were said and admit they would not say them now. I never heard racist abuse but Yorkshire was a hard dressing room. As a second team player we had to knock on the dressing room door before entering. If you had a big nose, were bald or carried a bit of weight they would be commented on.

I was the first non-Yorkshire born player to play for the county and that was commented on a lot. I am not comparing those examples with racism but they are examples of previously commonplace behaviour which is unacceptable now. We cannot change what was said or happened in dressing rooms 10-15 years ago but we can learn from it.

During the summer, I told my colleagues at the BBC that these allegations had been made against me. I felt uncomfortable that it could emerge and they would be asked some awkward questions. Similarly, I am speaking now because it is right for people to hear my side and that I completely deny the allegations.

I accept Yorkshire have dealt with this terribly. They will be honest enough to admit that. It is a good cricket club and it is close to my heart. I hope I can be part of the movement to rebrand the club and people will eventually look back on this time and say it changed for the better.

The Yorkshire I love is a club that only wants to produce the best players and win games of cricket. Clearly there are issues in English cricket, spread wider than Yorkshire, about why so many young Asian players are not graduating through to the professional game.

A good number of the young cricketers I see and enjoy watching around the pathway programme are Asian and yet so few make it to first team county cricket. We have to improve the pathway to make sure their talent is nurtured and we need to listen to them and their families about why it is not happening.

We cannot use the old excuses that they do not like the culture of Saturday afternoon games or parents do not want their children to pursue cricket and to study instead. It is for the game to make it work for them to make the most of this huge talent pool.

Relevant extracts from Yorkshire's report
I [Azeem Rafiq] then made it to the professional set up of YCCC as staff, together with Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shazad and Rana Naveed.

In a game in 2009, Nottingham v Yorkshire, as we were all walking on the field, a senior player, Michael Vaughan, said: “Too many of you lot we need to do something about it”.

This comment was addressed to me, Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shazad and Rana Naveed. We all heard it...

These comments from Michael Vaughan “you lot” is how we would be addressed by him and others because of our race...

When Michael Vaughan retired, he took up the position as advisor and would often come to YCCC giving his opinion and captain- coach options which particularly were aimed at moving me out of the team.

One such recommendation was for Kane Williamson to be signed and he categorically said he bowls “off-spin” really well too.

This is ridiculous as Kane Williamson is a batsman only.

This comment about him bowling “off-spin” was simply made in my presence to make me feel inferior.

To Michael Vaughan, this was classified as banter. To me, it is racism. It is because of my race, colour, ethnic origin, that Michael Vaughan made the comments that he did.

Michael Vaughan

The Azeem Rafiq-Yorkshire story has dominated the news and as a pundit I would normally comment on what has happened………:

This is a comparatively simple enough issue to tackle basis the two charges laid at Vaughan’s door. One, the Kane Williamson matter is simply a case of nuance and interpretation, so my personal opinion is that Azeem cannot prove racism basis current evidence.

On the ‘too many of you ‘ comment Azeem had stated that it was addressed in a the presence of a group that included him, Rashid, Shahzad and Rana. All things considered that’s much harder to hide or dismiss. But someone other than Azeem from that group has to speak up and substantiate his charge. Otherwise it’s still unproven.

This is a comparatively simple enough issue to tackle basis the two charges laid at Vaughan’s door. One, the Kane Williamson matter is simply a case of nuance and interpretation, so my personal opinion is that Azeem cannot prove racism basis current evidence.

On the ‘too many of you ‘ comment Azeem had stated that it was addressed in a the presence of a group that included him, Rashid, Shahzad and Rana. All things considered that’s much harder to hide or dismiss. But someone other than Azeem from that group has to speak up and substantiate his charge. Otherwise it’s still unproven.

I believe the first is a hint in the style of Pakistanis.. not valid in a court and 'you lot' is plausible but Rafiq is stumping himself with too many allegations and shouldn't have thrown Ballance under the bus when currying favour with him at the time.

ECB will deem it a misunderstanding, Yorks will release an apology and increase their ethnic quota but it won't be Black and Muslim players who benefit..

A lot of posters are ready to cast aspersions on Azeem's character once it came to be known that Azeem indulged in drinking before and I find that highly problematic. Just my personal opinion.

Let's get this right, the fact that Azeem was drinking before does not make him a bad person, nor does it make someone a good person if he abstains from drinking. I'm not muslim and I don't drink, yet I wouldn't call myself a "good" person just because of it and cast aspersions on my friends who drink. I know there's the factor of religion here, but I don't think one can pass personal judgements on others' characters based on their habits.

What needs to be investigated is that if it was used in the way black people would allow their close friends to use the "n" word and Azeem tolerated it or he was clearly uncomfortable with the use of the "p" word and that was apparent to Ballanc and yet he refrained from apologising. To me, it appears like a grey issue and one that involves friendship, respect and personal boundaries, and I don't think the fact that Azeem drank before has anything to do with it.

Former England Test captains Michael Atherton and Nasser Hussain discuss the fallout from the Azeem Rafiq investigation into allegations of racism and how cricket can improve in tackling discrimination.

Michael Atherton: How big a crisis is this for Yorkshire?

Nasser Hussain: It is a huge crisis, one of the biggest crises they have gone through in their long history. Most of it is of their own making; the delays, the time they have taken to address the situation that Azeem Rafiq reported to them years ago has been unbelievable really. They even put it out [the findings of an independent report] when the Old Trafford Test match was called off, some of their findings, which I thought was a good day to bury bad news as it was. That sort of way of doing things. Even since then with the ECB, they have put snippets out and the ECB only got the report months after they wanted it. Now, yesterday a lot has come out and it is not good reading for Yorkshire County Cricket Club, its players and members and rightly so. Sponsors are starting to pull out of that club. It is a bad week, month and year for Yorkshire but it is also a bad time for English cricket and the ECB, surely now the ball is in their court. Surely the ECB have to do something about it.

MA: You have broadened it out because the ECB and their players have had a very public anti-discrimination stance and the south Asian project has been at the heart of what the ECB have said they are trying to do over the last 2-3 years.

NA: I completely believe the ECB is trying to do that. I come from a south Asian community in Essex and I know what Essex are trying to do in that community. I have seen what England are trying to do. Their players on Saturday will be taking a knee against South Africa. We have been at Headingley where their players have stood there with T-shirts on with 'We stand against racism'. You can't have that and then have a club who in their own findings said that Azeem Rafiq was a victim of bullying and racial harassment. They put that out on that day at Old Trafford and then put out [last week] that we are not going to do anything about it, we are not going to hold anyone accountable to that. Those two things for me in particular do not marry together at all in any way. You can't have one without the other. The ECB have to have a look at this and come down strongly on it.

MA: It seems to me there are two aspects to it. One is what actually happened which is quite difficult to comment upon because as you say only a handful of people have seen the unredacted report. I understand only a handful of people at Yorkshire and the ECB have seen that. The second part of it is how Yorkshire have handled it as that report has started to dribble out. Have Yorkshire brought this upon themselves by their rather tone-deaf and tin-eared response?

NH: I think so. I think the comment the other day … the tone-deaf response and using the P-word as banter [in Yorkshire's report]. There is no way that the P-word in a dressing room can be used as banter. I just want to broaden this out. The whole point of doing this [interview] is that we have been there and we have experienced the situation. We have been in county and international dressing rooms where it is 'open season' on everything where you are slightly different. Whether you have ginger hair, you are slightly overweight, shorter than the rest, you have a bigger nose than the rest, you know that it is open season and the banter, mickey-taking that goes on in that dressing room. But I think there is a line that you cross, that at some stage someone has to say 'hold on that is not acceptable, we don't do that in our dressing room'. Whether it comes from the individual who has been racially harassed as Yorkshire have admitted and he says 'don't say that to me'. That is quite difficult to do because you want to fit in, you want to be part of the mickey-taking, everything that goes on and you don't make a stand. Whether it be a team-mate who stands up and says don't say that to him, whether it be a captain that says it is not acceptable or a club and this is why they [Yorkshire] messed it up the first time when it actually happened. No one had the guts to stand up and say we are not doing this in this dressing room. They messed it up for years after by not picking out people who used that terminology and they are still messing it up now when they had an option to say we have changed and we will not accept this sort of behaviour. They continued to mess it up and almost by Yorkshire saying that it is just banter they are sending the message all the way through their age groups that it is okay to say 'you lot' and that corner shop must belong to your uncle and things like that. They are sending a message that that sort of mickey-taking is absolutely fine. It is not.

MA: The next stage of this is a parliamentary inquiry. Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton has been called and it sounds like Azeem Rafiq will get his opportunity in that inquiry as well. There is one key thing about a DCMS inquiry is that there will be parliamentary privilege. All the way through this Yorkshire have said they cannot speak openly and truthfully, they can't release the unredacted report for fear of legal reprisals which will not be the case when they sit down in front of this parliamentary inquiry. This has to be a good thing for both the club in a sense and for Azeem Rafiq because what has been lacking throughout all this is the kind of transparency that people want to see.

NH: Absolutely, and I know that is why we haven't commented on it out here [at the T20 World Cup] because we weren't in that dressing room. We don't know what was happening, we don't like to comment on rumours. We have not read the report. To a degree it is probably going to be what the situation needs is that people have to be honest and have to come out and say what happened. But obviously, there is going to be a lot of mudslinging as well. With that is going to come, he said, she said, what happened and what didn't happen. It is not going to be a great week or month for cricket. I think it is going to be a month that cricket needs to go through so that we can finally find out exactly what that situation was and also people involved at that time. And it is very difficult because you want to back up your team-mates and you want to have a context to things years down the line but I do think it is important on both sides of this actually that people do speak up for Azeem Rafiq. If you firmly believe that Azeem Rafiq was racially discriminated against and you were in that dressing room I feel please speak up about it to back him up because he has been through so much, he has waited so patiently for people to back him up. But also the flip side of that, Gary Ballance will be in a very dark place at the moment and if you do believe you have got something to say to back up his argument and give it some context then you say that as well. Do you disagree, I do think people need to speak and get some kind of truth out of this.

MA: That is why I said it should be good for both sides; for the club and the player. Because what has been lacking so far is honesty and transparency. I hope the questioning is rigorous but I hope it is fair as well because the MP who called Roger Hutton to the inquiry the other day seemed to slightly pre-judge matters. What you just want is open, fair and rigorous questioning so that the truth can come out because as you say the innuendo will be hanging over every player and every coach who has been at Yorkshire. I think for the good of the club and for the good of Azeem Rafiq the truth needs to come out.

NH: But also and you feel there will be a bit of mudslinging in there. I know Azeem has already started tweeting, people are starting to…

MA: There will be mudslinging both ways. I think the game has to be grown up enough to accept a bit of mudslinging in the sense that if that helps the truth come out and it helps the process to be far more transparent than it has been that can only be a good thing. I think the biggest thing that has frustrated me throughout this, and there has been some excellent journalism, [is] there has been a lot of comment having not seen the report. So few people have seen the full unredacted report and what I hope comes out of this inquiry is just far greater transparency.

NH: Do you also agree with the point I made… I just want to say that again, I am not downplaying it in any way at all about a county dressing room, an international dressing room that you need an environment, and I am not saying that it is right or wrong, I remember Marcus Trescothick came into the England side and after about six months Marcus was amazed and he knocked on mine and Duncan (Fletcher)'s door and said 'can I have a word with you skip?' I am amazed by the amount of mickey-taking that goes on on cricket matters. On cricket matters when someone drops a catch or someone has a shocker they come in the dressing room and everyone takes the mick out of them. Can we stop that? It suddenly hit me, yeah, even if someone has had a bad day at cricket we take the mick out of them. So do you agree that was going on, that needs to change and do you think there is a line that you cross and you should be picked up on in a dressing room environment?

MA: Clearly, times change, context is important. Leadership is vital. I think there is a point at whichever time you are at where good leadership draws a line under things and makes people aware of other people within the dressing room are uncomfortable or feeling under pressure by whatever is said. Leadership is absolutely vital. Attention will probably turn on the leadership of Yorkshire out of all this and we wait and see what comes of it.

NH: That is my point, at that time when it was happening no one said stop. A year later, two years later no one said stop and then when the review was going on no one has said stop. I repeat again that was the most disappointing thing out of the Yorkshire statement a few days ago. Having decided that Rafiq had been a victim of bullying and racial harassment there was still no sort of we got that wrong, we need to have a look at ourselves, we really need to apologise to Azeem Rafiq and all the way through this we got it wrong. If Yorkshire hasn't done it then surely the ECB need to stand up. They did it with Ollie Robinson, that was a historical thing, that is when a teenage boy got it wrong and made those historical tweets that are not acceptable. They banned him, put him out of the game. It must have been a dark few months for him but he has come back from that. I just hope the ECB applies the same standards to Yorkshire County Cricket Club that they do to Ollie Robinson or anyone in their system.

MA: It is a dark time, few weeks for the game in that sense but part of a broader conversation that is happening across society. Do you see an easy way through the mess for the game? If the parliamentary inquiry proves to be transparent and the truth comes out do you see any easy way beyond that for the game?

NH: I think the only good that could come out of it is that every cricketer, sportsman, maybe every individual has a look at themselves and changes the way that they do behave and do realise that words can hurt and how much you laugh it off at the time. What you say is important. There is a change taking place, it will take time but it is probably something that English cricket needs to go through because for a long time… We do keep asking ourselves where... Every time India play Pakistan in England and all those crowds come flocking in, every year we have [questions such as] why is the ECB not doing more for our British south Asian community? The things that Ebony (Rainford-Brent) and Butch (Mark Butcher) are doing with the ACE programme. Butch's excellent programme this summer, where have the British West Indian cricketers gone, why aren't they coming through, the ones we played with. Well, this stuff that is going on now might give you a reason why they are not coming through. If at the head of Yorkshire County Cricket Club you can just say it is banter, it is just a bit of a laugh that spreads all the way through the system that people will just think it is just a laugh we can take the mick, say your dad owns the corner shop and stuff like that. You have got to make people feel included, inclusive as if it is their team and they are not on the outside and hopefully that can happen in the months ahead.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...ion-into-racism-allegations-against-yorkshire

Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton has resigned over the club's response to racism experienced by former player Azeem Rafiq.

Hutton - who had been under mounting pressure to step down - "apologised unreservedly" to 30-year-old Rafiq.

He said the club "should have recognised at the time the serious allegations of racism".

Hutton added that at Yorkshire he had "experienced a culture that refuses to accept change or challenge".

He was also highly critical of the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), claiming the governing body "declined to help".

His resignation came before an emergency board meeting on Friday at which Hutton was expected to face calls to quit. More resignations are expected and Hutton says "some" non-executive board members have already left their posts.

It comes after an investigation found Rafiq was a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" - but the club said they would take no disciplinary action.

On Thursday Yorkshire were suspended from hosting England matches by the ECB.

The ECB said it was "clear" Yorkshire's handling of the issue is "wholly unacceptable and is causing serious damage to the reputation of the game".

Hutton claimed that when he was made aware of Rafiq's allegations, he "immediately reached out" to the ECB "to ask for their help and intervention to support a robust inquiry" but there was a "reluctance to act".

The ECB has been approached for comment.

Hutton calls on board members to resign
In a statement, Hutton said: "I would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly to Azeem.

"I am sorry that we could not persuade executive members of the board to recognise the gravity of the situation and show care and contrition.

"There has been a constant unwillingness from the executive members of the board and senior management at the club to apologise and to accept [there was] racism and to look forward.

"During my time as chairman, I take responsibility for failing to persuade them to take appropriate and timely action.

"This frustration has been shared by all of the non-executive members of the board, some of whom have also now resigned."

Hutton called on the executive members of the board to also resign "to make way for a new path for the club I love so much".

Speaking about the ECB, Hutton, who will be questioned by MPs alongside senior Yorkshire officials and Rafiq on 16 November, added: "I was saddened when they declined to help as I felt it was a matter of great importance for the game as a whole.

"It is a matter of record that I have continually expressed my frustration at the ECB's reluctance to act."

Hutton, a lifelong Yorkshire fan and local lawyer, took up the role in April 2020 and said he "never met Azeem and was not at the club during the period he was employed."

Speaking on Thursday, Julian Knight MP, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee, said he hoped the sanctions handed down by the ECB would "act as a short, sharp shock to bring the club to its senses".

"Like the rest of us, I imagine the members of Yorkshire County Cricket Club will be questioning why the board is still in place," he added.

Many companies have cut their ties with Yorkshire, including kit manufacturer Nike, primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea.

Rafiq report timeline

2 September 2020: Following an initial interview with Wisden, ESPN Cricinfo publish an article with Rafiq in which he claims "institutional racism" at Yorkshire County Cricket Club left him close to taking his own life.

3 September 2020: Yorkshire say they have launched a "formal investigation" into the claims made by Rafiq and chairman Roger Hutton says the club would be carrying out a "wider review" of their "policies and culture"

5 September 2020: Yorkshire ask an independent law firm to investigate racism allegations against the club by Rafiq.

13 November 2020: Rafiq says he hopes to bring about "meaningful change" after giving his first statement to the inquiry.

15 December 2020: Rafiq files a legal claim against Yorkshire "claiming direct discrimination and harassment on the grounds of race, as well as victimisation and detriment as a result of trying to address racism at the club".

2 February 2021: Yorkshire threaten a lifetime ban for anyone found to have made threats against Rafiq or his family and legal team, after ESPN Cricinfo show them messages sent to Rafiq's legal firm.

17 June 2021: An employment tribunal case between Rafiq and his former club Yorkshire fails to find a resolution. The independent investigation into his racism allegations remains ongoing.

16 August 2021: Yorkshire receive the findings of an independent investigation into the racism allegations and, two days later, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) asks for a copy.

19 August 2021: Yorkshire, yet to release the findings of the report at this stage, admit Rafiq was "the victim of inappropriate behaviour" and offer him their "profound apologies".

Rafiq accuses Yorkshire of downplaying racism by calling him the victim of "inappropriate behaviour".

8 September 2021: MPs tell Yorkshire to publish the findings of the report "immediately".

10 September 2021: Yorkshire release the findings of the report, which says Rafiq was the "victim of racial harassment and bullying" and seven of the 43 allegations made by the player were upheld by an independent panel.

According to Hutton, the report said there was "insufficient evidence to conclude that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is institutionally racist".

Yorkshire released a summary of the panel's report and recommendations, but said the full report could not be released for legal reasons "in relation to privacy law and defamation".

8 October 2021: Yorkshire miss a deadline to send the full report to Rafiq and his legal team after BBC Sport understands an employment judge ordered the club to release it in full by Friday, 8 October.

13 October 2021: Rafiq then receives a heavily redacted version, while the ECB says it is still awaiting the full report.

28 October 2021: Yorkshire says it carried out its own internal investigation after the findings in the report and concluded that "there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action".

2 November 2021: The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee calls on Hutton to appear before it to answer questions about Yorkshire's handling of a report into Rafiq's allegations of racism.

MP Knight, chair of the DCMS select committee, calls on the board of Yorkshire County Cricket Club to resign after a leaked report emerges apparently containing details of the investigation into the treatment of Rafiq.

A story published by ESPN says the report had concluded that a racially offensive term used towards Rafiq was regarded as "banter".

Knight makes his comments after health secretary Javid calls for "heads to roll" at Yorkshire and said if the ECB did not take action "it's not fit for purpose". He further states in a Twitter post that the term allegedly used to describe Rafiq was "not banter".

The ECB announces it will conduct a "full" investigation into the situation.

3 November 2021: The date of the DCMS hearing is scheduled for 16 November and Rafiq is called to give evidence in person, along with senior Yorkshire officials.

Several sponsors, including primary sponsor Emerald Publishing and Yorkshire Tea, end their partnerships with Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

Current Yorkshire batter Gary Ballance releases a lengthy statement expressing regret for using a racial slur against former team-mate Rafiq.

4 November 2021: The ECB board suspends Yorkshire from hosting international matches.

Kit supplier Nike ends four-year deal, announced in March 2021.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he was named in the report but "totally denies any allegation of racism".

5 November 2021: Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton resigns over the club's response and apologises "unreservedly" to Rafiq.

BBC

So there is sponsors dropping out, MP speaking out yet we have posters who were questioning Rafiq claims being made. 🤔

So there is sponsors dropping out, MP speaking out yet we have posters who were questioning Rafiq claims being made. ��

Think we need to stay focussed and not worry about ill-informed opinions. This is a fight for what is right.

Former Yorkshire player Rana Naved confirms he heard Michael Vaughan making racially comments to a group of Asian players at Yorkshire.

I was listening on LBC yesterday when someone mentioned that at grassroots level above 90% players playing at club levels are Asians but counties were told not to look at them for senior level.
Over the years i have seen some really talented club level players not selected due to their ethnic backgrounds
Now that's very unfortunate as many talented Asians missed out because of their skin colour.
Hopefully one day cricket will eventually go football way and only talent become criteria for selection

From what I’ve year so far Hutton was one of the good guys. But so it goes - the first casualties in these things are often the ones who were trying to make a change for the better but couldn’t do enough.

What’s needed now is for the conservative element to be taken to task.

Statement by the PCA:

Following recent developments relating to Yorkshire CCC, the PCA wishes to reiterate that there is no place for racism or discrimination in cricket.

Specifically, racist language by any member is wholly unacceptable, and there can be no mitigating circumstances.

The PCA will continue to work closely with the ECB until these matters are fully resolved and the Association is supportive of the regulatory and disciplinary process announced by the ECB on Thursday.

In addition, we continue to press Yorkshire CCC to release the full details of its report.

It is the declared policy of the PCA to offer guidance and support to every member affected by this situation.

In this particular instance, this means:

• Ensure the welfare of the individuals involved is protected
  • Work with the ECB to ensure their investigation process is rigorous, fair and appropriate
  • Develop our ongoing education in the area of EDI to provide the highest standards

Having been in similar environments and a similar age to Rafiq - I find it hard to believe that it is similar to domestic abuse.

We will need to wait for the final outcome and review but in isolation the Gary Balance incident sounds a lot like the type of "banter" that multi-cultural friend groups have.

I worry about Azeems mental health though because it's clear that the guy has hit rock bottom multiple times. Darren Gough spoke quite passionately about this on talksport earlier. He needs help, love and acceptance urgently. Unfortunately, people who play this double game and find it difficult to juggle multiple identities such as being one of the lads at work, while being devout and traditional at home, often end up badly damaged.

Poor lad, reads like he is in a very dark place. I hope he gets support.

Think we need to stay focussed and not worry about ill-informed opinions. This is a fight for what is right.

Well said.

A fight for what is right and against the far right.

Statement from ECB spokesman:

“Yorkshire CCC did reach out to us at the beginning of the investigation with a request that we partner with them on exploring Azeem's allegations of racism and bullying against the club.

“Our role is to operate as a regulator across the entire game. We must act independently of any club investigations, should we ever be required to intervene as regulator – either during or after.

“The reason why our governance is structured in this manner, is perfectly demonstrated in the way that these issues have played-out at Yorkshire County Cricket Club.”

Until adil and shahzad speak up of their experience at Yorkshire

Or moeen who is also in the county and England setup

I don't know how systematic institutional racism can be proved in county cricket.

Because asian players both domestic and oversees have had chances to play in county cricket

And the lower club leagues have many Asian players teams.

Otherwise it's just ones guy word against the other on what happened .

But I reckon ballance career is done for

The Board of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club has met this morning and can confirm a number of changes.

It is resolved to do whatever it takes to regain the trust of all its stakeholder inside and outside the game.

Further to the resignation of Roger Hutton from the Board this morning, Hanif Malik OBE and Stephen Willis have also stepped down from the Board. The Club would like to thank all of them for their respective contributions.

Neil Hartley will remain on the Board to ensure a smooth transition to new leadership, but intends to step down in the near future.

Lord Kamlesh Patel of Bradford has been appointed as a Director and Chair of the Club.

Lord Patel said: “I’m looking forward to taking this Club forward and driving the change that is needed.

“The Club needs to learn from its past errors, regain trust and rebuild relationships with our communities.

“There is much work to do, including reading the panel’s report, so we can begin the process of learning from our past mistakes.

“Yorkshire is lucky to have a vast talent pool of cricketers, and passionate supporters, from all of our communities and we must re-engage with everyone to make a better Yorkshire County Cricket Club for everyone.”

I was listening on LBC yesterday when someone mentioned that at grassroots level above 90% players playing at club levels are Asians but counties were told not to look at them for senior level.
Over the years i have seen some really talented club level players not selected due to their ethnic backgrounds
Now that's very unfortunate as many talented Asians missed out because of their skin colour.
Hopefully one day cricket will eventually go football way and only talent become criteria for selection
They cite lack of fitness, motivation etc. panesar said Fletcher (Zimbabwean) didn't like him but not a surprise as he was an absolute liability in the field. Rashid has become an outstanding fielder playing alongside likes of Stokes and England have tried their best finding a replacement trying barely plausible candidates like Kerrigan before giving him another chance so the Vaughan slur on Rafiq is very believable

From someone reading all this first time it seems me Yorkshire has many iffy characters but they also exist in every other English club. Azeem seems to have an axe to grind more than anything else. If you are socializing with the same folks willingly who you say are bad . Not only that, you stay at your abusers home WILLINGLY in another country out of your own choice then this shows more than just black and white. It’s a grey area. There are many Pakistani players who played for such players and with such players but they seem to have given no confirmation In fact the opposite

Two further Yorkshire board members have joined chairman Roger Hutton in resigning over the club's response to racism experienced by Azeem Rafiq.

Hutton "apologised unreservedly" to Rafiq, 30, when he quit his role on Friday.

Hanif Malik and Stephen Willis stepped down from the board following an emergency meeting later that day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59172267

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Michael Vaughan. I think the remark in front of Azeem Rafiq/others about Kane Williamson being able to bowl spin was more clumsy and rude, perhaps unprofessional and inadvertently belittling, than actually racist. But the one to the group of players on the field is looking very bad for the ex England captain, particularly because it was witnessed and has been testified to. It was a racist comment, no question. Vaughan’s busy media career could be about to start drying out.

Rashid has become an outstanding fielder playing alongside likes of Stokes and England have tried their best finding a replacement trying barely plausible candidates like Kerrigan before giving him another chance

I think it's a bit of a stretch to put that down to any racism issues, they picked the best performing spinner at the time.

These guys who live thks type of double life do more damage to the rest of with their hypocrisy than any racism.

Their duplicity puts people on edge. GB thought he was having a laugh with his mate who has now decided to sell him down the river.

If Ballance is telling the truth and Azeem lead him to believe it was just banter and Gary was his best mate then the fault doesn't lie with Gary.

If as Gary alleges they got drunk together and Azeem was all good with being called the p word then what conclusion can you draw apart from bringing 'racism' upon himself?

Live how you want to live. Too many muslims live a double life. Which leads to nothing good.

I personally am not religious, but come from a muslim background and know how thats like.

I would rather do something in the open then hide something. If you are a good person you have no reason to lie..

Drinking or not drinking doesnt make you a good person. some people here are saying he went away from being muslim he derserves this..

Him being muslim doesnt determine if hes a good person or not.

Seperate the two. Rafiq throwing GB kind of shows what kind of person he is. Clearly hes a person with no backbone and self reapect.

He mightve have faced racism, if he had any backbone or self respect he wouldve done something back then and not now.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to put that down to any racism issues, they picked the best performing spinner at the time.

I don't think he ever was. No English legspinner has ever nor ever will have the array of skills Rashid does.

I don't think he ever was. No English legspinner has ever nor ever will have the array of skills Rashid does.

Kerrigan took 57 wickets at an average of 20.89 with an economy of 2.58 in the season running up to when he was picked. Comparatively Rashid took 29 wickets at an average of 46.82 and economy of 3.77. It would be pretty ridiculous to suggest Rashid was more deserving of playing that game but wasn't picked because of his race.

Last edited:
Sportsmail can reveal that another former Yorkshire player has come forward with fresh claims of racial misconduct at the county.

The player, who is of Asian heritage, said he was the victim of numerous instances of racist abuse, ‘both blatant and sly’, during his time at the club in the early 2000s and said: 'I had a player p*ss on my head'.

Yorkshire, still reeling from their disastrous handling of the Azeem Rafiq affair and the ECB’s decision on Thursday to suspend international matches at Headingley, promised to launch an investigation.

The German said he has enough on his plate at Stamford Bridge and welcomed Conte back to the Premier League.

The player, who has asked not to be named because he does not want his family to know what he endured, left the club disillusioned after saying he didn’t receive the same opportunities as white cricketers. He also says he was told his allegations would be looked into, which they never were.

‘There are many Asian cricketers like myself who have had their careers ruined, but have moved on and taken the treatment on the chin. I salute them all, as it can’t have been easy.’

Yorkshire are already under pressure after revelations that batsman Gary Ballance called his former team-mate Rafiq a ‘P***’ — an epithet the club concluded was part of ‘friendly and good-natured banter’.

On Wednesday, Ballance apologised but not before sponsors began cutting ties with the county.

And last night Ashes-winning captain Michael Vaughan revealed he was another of those accused by Rafiq, denying the claim that he said in 2009: ‘Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it’ in relation to the off spinner and other Asian team-mates.

He was named in the Azeem Rafiq report amid claims he said 'too many of you lot' to a group of Yorkshire's British Asian stars — but firmly denied the claims of racism made against him.

Vaughan, 47, played for Yorkshire his entire career from 1993 to 2009, before moving into an advisory role at the club after retiring.

On Thursday night he revealed his involvement in the report into alleged racism at the county, which claimed that he told a group of Yorkshire players with Asian heritage — including Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shahzad and Pakistan’s Rana Naved — that there were ‘too many of you lot, we need to do something about it’.

But Vaughan denied the claims, writing in his Telegraph column: ‘In December 2020 I was asked to speak to the independent panel formed by Yorkshire to investigate Rafiq’s claims.

‘The night before I was due to give evidence, out of the blue, I was hit with the news that Rafiq was alleging that in 2009 before a Yorkshire match against Nottinghamshire, I had said to Rafiq and two other Asian players as we walked on to the field together that there are “too many of you lot, we need to do something about it”.

‘This hit me very hard. It was like being struck over the head with a brick. I have been involved in cricket for 30 years and never once been accused of any remotely similar incident or disciplinary offence as a player or commentator.

'I completely and categorically deny that I ever said those words.’

Vaughan also denied a second claim in the report, that in his post-playing days he had advised Yorkshire chiefs in front of Rafiq that they should sign New Zealand batsman Kane Williamson due to his ability to bowl off-spin.

Rafiq claimed in the report that this was racism, intended as a direct threat to his own place in the team as a frontline spinner, with Williamson only a very occasional bowler. ‘It is because of my race, colour, ethnic origin, that Michael Vaughan made the comments that he did,’ said Rafiq.

Vaughan responded on Thursday night: ‘I would never have said that in front of a group. I saw the way Williamson played in Twenty20 cricket and recognised that we needed three-dimensional cricketers in our top four who could score runs, bowl overs and field well.

‘Never have I discriminated against anyone or judged a player based on race. All I ask and all I have ever asked is, “how can we improve as a team?”

By suggesting Yorkshire sign Williamson I was attempting to improve the team and my cricket knowledge suggests that was the right call.’

Vaughan, the second individual to reveal he is part of the report after Yorkshire batsman Gary Ballance, said he is keen to meet Rafiq to discuss the claims.

‘In time, I am more than happy to meet with Azeem,’ he said. ‘I would welcome it. I would like to sit with him, listen to what he went through and understand his perspective.

‘It has been very hard for me to communicate with him directly for legal reasons but I hope we can now talk in person and understand each other’s point of view.’

The fresh claims by a second player against Yorkshire — which at this stage are only claims and have not yet been investigated — date back two decades and make for unpleasant reading.

The player said: ‘I experienced racism from fellow players both direct and indirect. Believe it or not, I had a player p*** on my head from the hotel bedroom above, as I was on the phone leaning out of my room window. Let alone the numerous racist comments both blatant and sly. The coach at the time said ignore it and that he would deal with it. They never did.’

In another story, the player said he overheard ‘senior players’ — both still involved at Yorkshire —talking about ‘how they “sh**ged a bird” in the hotel room who was on her period and made a mess, and all they could find is a Muslim player’s prayer mat to clean it up. Sick or what. These are supposed to be your team-mates and people I looked up to.’

The player is understood to have been emboldened to speak out by Rafiq’s whistleblowing, which will be the subject of a hearing by the digital, culture, media and sport select committee on November 16, though the pair never crossed paths in county cricket.

Yorkshire have apologised to Rafiq after an investigation into his claims of abuse upheld seven allegations. Yet another anecdote from the player makes claims of humiliating treatment at practice. ‘When catching balls during training, these “team-mates” would intentionally throw the ball so hard from close range that it used to bruise my hands through the gloves,’ he said. ‘I remember having to miss out on a final once due to this injury.

The coaches wouldn’t say a thing. I would have to toughen up, apparently.’ The statement went on: ‘I and others were used as a statistic. When people said Yorkshire were racist, their reply was: “How can we be — we have X amount of Asians on our books?”

‘I wasn’t given a single opportunity to play second XI cricket. How were they expecting my game to improve? Other white players were given chances in the second XI, and after failing initially, eventually they got used to the standard, which is what happens when playing with and against better players.’

After Sportsmail ran the allegations past Yorkshire, a spokesperson replied: ‘This behaviour would be completely unacceptable to the club. It goes without saying we will investigate thoroughly.’

Meanwhile, a peaceful ‘Justice for Azeem Rafiq’ gathering has been organised for Saturday at 3pm outside Headingley by Mohammed Patel, a human-rights lawyer and founder of Heaven Help Us Cricket Club, which supports charitable causes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...misconduct-former-player-makes-complaint.html

Former West Indies cricketer Michael Holding has told Sky News that he's 'extremely happy' that sponsors have cut ties with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and accused the England and Wales Cricket Board of 'non-existent' action.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 50%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/5ph3hw" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

There's not exactly much the ECB could do until they received the report. Now they have they've pretty much immediately put in place sanctions and started their own investigation.

Yorkshire to investigate racism allegations made by a former academy player
The cricketer, who wishes to remain anonymous, claims he was overlooked in favour of white players; Player: "Everyone in the Asian cricketing community has known Yorkshire County Cricket Club is racist."; This article contains comments some readers may find upsetting

Yorkshire are investigating racism allegations made by an Asian cricketer who was a former academy player for the county.

The player, who wishes to remain anonymous, claims a Yorkshire team-mate urinated on his head and also alleges he heard senior players talking about desecrating a Muslim prayer mat.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...m-allegations-made-by-a-former-academy-player
Kerrigan took 57 wickets at an average of 20.89 with an economy of 2.58 in the season running up to when he was picked. Comparatively Rashid took 29 wickets at an average of 46.82 and economy of 3.77. It would be pretty ridiculous to suggest Rashid was more deserving of playing that game but wasn't picked because of his race.

They treated Kerrigan badly but that's England. Shouldn't have been thrown in to an Ashes series

Last edited:
Until adil and shahzad speak up of their experience at Yorkshire

Or moeen who is also in the county and England setup

I don't know how systematic institutional racism can be proved in county cricket.

Because asian players both domestic and oversees have had chances to play in county cricket

And the lower club leagues have many Asian players teams.

Otherwise it's just ones guy word against the other on what happened .

But I reckon ballance career is done for

Your forgetting one crucial detail and that is that the report has said Azeem did suffer racial discrimination. There's no denying that and nobody is. All that's happening now is who said what when and how deep does this go.

Can Kaneria make a claim of racism citing how the ECB and the English Judicial system treated him?

Can Kaneria make a claim of racism citing how the ECB and the English Judicial system treated him?

Based on what exactly? The guy was found guilty from numerous witness statements along with other things such as phone records and has admitted his guilt. If anything he was lucky to get away without criminal charges being pressed against him and prison time.

Last edited:
There seems little point in prevaricating. An interview with Roger Hutton, who resigned as chairman of Yorkshire earlier in the day, after the biggest crisis enveloping a county club that I can remember, can only really start in one place. What does Hutton say to Azeem Rafiq, the player who accused the club of institutional racism and who was found to have suffered from racial harassment and bullying?

It may surprise people that Hutton, appointed last year, and Rafiq have never met but they have spoken on a handful of occasions and Hutton’s contrition is expressed clearly. “I profusely apologise to him. He’s gone through a very difficult time and I’m desperately sad about that. He was let down by the club in 2018 and, candidly, since then the club have also continued to let him down. So I offer him a profuse apology.”

The tipping point in the escalation of the crisis, which brought the ECB’s intervention, was Yorkshire’s handling of events after the leaking of the panel’s finding that racial slurs could be dismissed as good-natured banter and that no action would be taken against any Yorkshire employee. Can the use of racist language be so excused? “That’s completely unacceptable,” Hutton says. “The reality is that isn’t my finding or Yorkshire’s finding but the panel’s finding. I’m surprised by it."

The tone-deaf reaction since then has led to the club’s sponsors leaving in droves, the ECB threatening measures that could cripple the club financially and politicians awakening to the issue. “The messaging that has come out has been poor, and inadequate. I’m deeply saddened about that. It’s not helped the club. It’s not helped our relationship with the many different communities in Yorkshire and it’s a clear failing.”

Is Yorkshire County Cricket Club, the greatest county club in the land, institutionally racist?

“The reality is that an international law firm and a talented panel reached the conclusion there was insufficient evidence to conclude whether it was institutionally racist or not. I have to tell you that I’m not aware of any individual person that I’ve met at Yorkshire being racist, but what I can tell you is that its culture is one that doesn’t enjoy challenge or change and it needs moving forward into the future rather than languishing in the past.”

It was Hutton who instigated the need for a full independent investigation into Rafiq’s allegations, but who, in resigning, has effectively admitted to a failure to deliver. That report, long in the making, has yet to be released in full and nobody at Yorkshire, despite the panel having upheld seven of Rafiq’s complaints, has been made accountable. The handling of events in the past week, with a breakdown between those on the board who wished for greater transparency and contrition and those who did not, brought his exit.

Hutton does not feel the ECB has helped matters. “I was surprised when Azeem made these allegations that there was no noise or movement from the ECB. I thought that the ECB might want to work with us. Yorkshire is an enormous part of the cricketing community and so if there is a problem with Yorkshire I thought there might be a problems with the game as a whole and in other dressing rooms. I asked them for help, they declined. I asked them for extra resource; they declined.

“Last night they came out and said that they’ve repeatedly offered assistance to Yorkshire in relation to the investigation, and we turned it down. That couldn’t be further from the truth. I’ve asked them to get involved; that it’s serious and big, and they’ve been quiet for the best part of 18 months. And then last night, they say this has all been very badly handled, despite the offer to help. I was shocked by that.”

Tom Harrison reiterated that it would have been inappropriate for the governing body as regulator to sit in judgment. Hutton counters the point: “I’m new to the world of ECB and its regulations and what they can and can’t do, and I’m no expert in them. I have to accept that organisations have protocol. But you have to ask: was it right simply to stick behind protocol rather than recognising this was probably a very substantial issue, not just for Yorkshire, but for the game as a whole?”

Does he feel the recent measures handed down by the ECB were proportionate? “I was very surprised by them because I’ve been in dialogue with the ECB throughout the whole process and it was a complete change of position. While, in fact, no facts have changed. Just the degree of political attention. I actually think the ECB should be working collaboratively, rather than standing away and distancing itself from a problem.”

Hutton thinks that the jobs of key executives at Yorkshire are untenable. “I couldn’t persuade them to accept the gravity of the issue. They were reluctant to apologise. They didn’t show contrition and, essentially, I couldn’t persuade them to produce a strategy to deal with the recommendations, or to move forward. The executive and many, but not all, of the senior management were more interested in denying wrongdoing, refusing to apologise and trying to concentrate on what they perceived as flaws in Azeem’s personality.”

And yet I have heard many people speak warmly, for example, about Mark Arthur, Yorkshire’s chief executive, and his role in trying to build relationships with the wider community. “Mark has done some incredible things at this club, with the stadium, for example, and he has done a number of really positive things on inclusivity and accessibility. I think, actually, he’s not talked about enough about what he’s done.” Nevertheless, Hutton thinks that Arthur and Martyn Moxon, the director of cricket, should resign.

Despite everything, only a handful of people (Harrison admitted he had been advised not to read it until the investigation is complete) have seen the full unredacted report. Is Hutton happy with the panel’s work? “I imagine they are furious at the moment, because they put in a huge amount of effort and energy with the view to highlight things that have gone wrong in the past and how the club might move forward in the future. And at the moment, the club haven’t managed to find a way forward and have spent too much time arguing the findings, or not showing the right level of contrition or appetite for change.”

Does he welcome the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport inquiry? “I welcome it because the greater the transparency, the better and the sooner the entirety of the report is published, the better. Better for Azeem Rafiq number one, better for English cricket, for Yorkshire cricket and for the wider community. The more sunlight we can show on this the better, and then we can all move forward.”

Is the future of Yorkshire County Cricket Club in peril? “I desperately hope not. Ultimately it will depend on what funding the ECB want to give and whether they withhold international matches from Yorkshire. There’s an enormous cricket-loving community in Yorkshire. I think it would be an absolute tragedy if the community were prevented from coming to watch cricket in Yorkshire. So I would really urge the ECB not to do that.

“The club does do some incredible things in the community. It’s a shame that work, and the engagement that’s taken place so far, has been damaged. With the right leadership and the right changes, all communities in Yorkshire will hopefully realise it is a place for them. And I would encourage them to be supportive of the club.

“And I would also say for the future, I’m incredibly optimistic. Nobody wanted Yorkshire to be in the state it is today. Clearly, there’s an enormous light shining on it. Given that, I think it’s inconceivable it won’t change. It must change. It must change for the better.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...d?shareToken=f0e7ae24dbc41474528566106b6a583f

I'm not getting too excited at the ECB's statement just yet.

This is vague. Who decides they've met the standards, what are the standards, where are they documented?

What's the point of this? Ballance is nowhere near the England squad at the moment.

May !

On the face of it looks like the ecb is taking tough action but in reality its anything but

Yorkshire and England Under-19 off-spinner Azeem Rafiq has been suspended for a month by the England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after he was found guilty of a breach of ECB Directives and bringing the game intro disrepute.

Rafiq was dropped as captain of the England Under-19s after an abusive message was posted on his Twitter page, castigating coach John Abrahams and criticising the ECB management.

Rafiq, who was up before a three-man panel comprising Edward Slinger, Ricky Needham and Matthew Wheeler, pleaded guilty to both charges and apologised unreservedly for his actions.

The panel ordered Rafiq to pay £500 towards the cost of the hearing and that he be suspended from all cricket under ECB jurisdiction for a period of one month from 26th July.
https://www.cricketworld.com/twitter-rant-lands-azeem-rafiq-one-month-ban/25129.htm

I remember this and all will be getting dredged up.

On the face of it looks like the ecb is taking tough action but in reality its anything but

Ticking boxes exercise.

What have they been doing since Azeem brought these issues up.....letting Yorkshire take the flak.

Now suddenly they wake up.

There's not exactly much the ECB could do until they received the report. Now they have they've pretty much immediately put in place sanctions and started their own investigation.

The ECB received the report a while back now, they keep claiming they are investigating while also claiming they are the guardians and the custodians of the game. Yet they have neither guarded it nor helped guide it. Their most recent action has been to suspend a future England v NZ test match at Headingley, while also claiming the test can go ahead if YCCC demonstrate they have changed.

So Mike's remark about lack of action is indeed true.

Ticking boxes exercise.

What have they been doing since Azeem brought these issues up.....letting Yorkshire take the flak.

Now suddenly they wake up.

But at least the process has started. They might not like it, but the snowball effect is underway. We have to give them credit for that at least.

A British Asian member of the panel which ruled Azeem Rafiq being called a P--- by former England batsman Gary Ballance had been “banter” has stood by its findings, despite them having been condemned by Boris Johnson and other members of the Cabinet.

In an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport, Mesba Ahmed, one of five experts tasked with making conclusions and recommendations following an investigation into the scandal engulfing the club, also said the race row could be “solved” if the full report into it was finally published.

Ahmed, a vice-chairman of the National Asian Cricket Council and one of three British Asians on the panel, declared he and his colleagues had done “as good a job as we possibly could have done” before reaching their conclusions.

He did not deny that those conclusions included that they did not accept Rafiq was offended by the racist term, despite being left in tears, because it had been said as “banter between friends”.

He also did not dispute the panel found Rafiq himself guilty of using “offensive, racially derogatory comments” when referring to Zimbabwean-born Ballance as “Zimbo from Zimbabwe” and that, were he still at the club, he should face disciplinary action.

But Ahmed said extracts leaked this week did not paint “the full picture” of its findings.

The Prime Minister and other Cabinet members, including Health Secretary Sajid Javid, who is of Pakistani heritage, have denounced the panel’s ruling that calling Rafiq a P--- had been “banter”.

Yorkshire members express 'frustration' at handling of Azeem Rafiq racism scandal
But Ahmed, who is of Bangladeshi heritage, said: “If you’re Irish and I’m Scottish or you’re English and I’m Scottish and you have banter and you’re all mates and you hang around and you do things yourselves and we call each other names and we go along with it and you’re happy with it, I’m happy with it, what do you call that? You can judge it yourself.
Via Telegraph
Strong morals

The ECB received the report a while back now, they keep claiming they are investigating while also claiming they are the guardians and the custodians of the game. Yet they have neither guarded it nor helped guide it. Their most recent action has been to suspend a future England v NZ test match at Headingley, while also claiming the test can go ahead if YCCC demonstrate they have changed.

So Mike's remark about lack of action is indeed true.

The ECB received the report last week. Since then they've now started their own investigation and, as you've mentioned, suspended Yorkshir from hosting any major matches until they can demonstrate that they meet the standards expected of them. There's not exactly much more they could've done in a week... Now it's just time to see what the outcome of that investigation is.

The ECB received the report last week. Since then they've now started their own investigation and, as you've mentioned, suspended Yorkshir from hosting any major matches until they can demonstrate that they meet the standards expected of them. There's not exactly much more they could've done in a week... Now it's just time to see what the outcome of that investigation is.

But why was the ecb not involved since 2018? What about decades of racial abuse the ecb has turned a blind eye to? Read Barney Ronays recent piece in the guardian or Mark Bouchers documentary in Sky about black England cricketers.

Harrisons lame excuse that they couldn't get involved earlier is ridiculous. Of course they could and they should.

The same Tom Harrison in interview stated that YCCC is suspended from holding a particular match next year but that could all change if YCCC are deemed fit for purpose. A single match ban will be useless if it goes ahead.

The ECB is ticking boxes and waiting for this to blow over.

But at least the process has started. They might not like it, but the snowball effect is underway. We have to give them credit for that at least.

Don't hold much hope. Expect lots of nice statements and buzzwords - very little action in the end.

Oh no you don’t, Tom Harrison. Hold it right there, the England and Wales Cricket Board. Drop the mask of simpering piety. Lose the grave, troubled look. There is no doubt that English cricket’s continuing, historic problem with racism is a resigning issue for someone, that it speaks to both a sickly culture and a failure of regulation.

But before we start apportioning that blame, let us be clear on the roles here. The ECB does not get to act surprised at this, to get away with flaming some flunkies, dropping the toxic Yorkshire brand, throwing its hands up in shock. The ECB is not the judge or the court clerk or whatever role it is currently trying to assume. It is instead the accused.

The news here is not that Yorkshire County Cricket Club, a huge portion of the ECB’s parish, alma mater to the current England head coach, captain and elite pathway coach, is institutionally racist. The story is that Yorkshire CCC is still institutionally racist. This is not new information. The ECB has been presented with this problem repeatedly. It has failed, repeatedly, to act.

Shall we pick a date? How about June 1998 when 56 MPs led, gawd bless him, by the vigorous backbencher Jeremy Corbyn, put forward a parliamentary motion calling for action from the ECB over research that revealed “a culture of racial exclusion, racial stereotyping and … racial abuse of black and Asian cricket players”.

Ring any bells? Does it sound, for example, like the exact words used by people like John Holder, Michael Holding, Michael Carberry and Azeem Rafiq in the decades since?

More dates. A year later the ECB drummed up its first Great Big Anti Racism Report, with Tim Lamb, Harrison’s predecessor as CEO, announcing that “complacency is not acceptable”. And yet six years on the motto “Clean Bowl Racism” had somehow failed to cleanse the organs of the national summer sport, to the extent that former Bradford North MP Terry Rooney spoke in parliament about “the deep-rooted embedded racism in Yorkshire County Cricket Club”.

Yorkshire CCC president Robin Smith demanded an apology, citing the fact that players like Yorkshire’s own Ismail Dawood were at the edge of the first team. Yes, the same Dawood who suffered racist abuse in county cricket and would later sue the ECB for racial discrimination. The same Dawood who played with Harrison at Northants. Small world!

So no, Mr Harrison you do not get to act surprised now that sponsorship contracts are being cancelled, hot buttons pressed and MPs demanding an audience. The answer does not lie in feigned shock, or indeed in getting tough on Gary Ballance and tough on the causes of Gary Ballance. Because this is what we have in front of us right now, the chief executive shimmy, that familiar dance away from responsibility.

Ballance will take his share, and rightly so. He was old enough to know what he was doing. He clearly has his own issues to deal with. But how far does this take us? Here we have the England Test captain’s flatmate and barbecue banter pal, two years a centrally contracted ECB employee, regularly using prima facie racist language, something the Yorkshire-based England coach and the Yorkshire-based England captain have yet to condemn, or explain exactly how this was allowed to continue. And please, don’t talk about processes and gagging instructions. The actual harm lies in being silent.

Yorkshire’s coaching hierarchy will take their share too. After Carberry spoke out last year Martyn Moxon said he had “not been involved in any dressing room or any club that’s had any dealings with racism whatsoever”. Apart from the one exception – his stint playing for Griqualand West in apartheid South Africa. Yes. Apart from that! What is a culture anyway? What is an institution? How does it become set?

Michael Vaughan has faced his own instant reckoning. He seemed genuinely stunned to be mentioned in Rafiq’s evidence, although not so stunned he felt the need to go along and speak to the investigation.

Vaughan is a fascinating figure in all this, an embodiment of a kind of generational blankness. Here we have a BBC correspondent so unversed in these issues he was prepared to write a column about Jofra Archer this year that read like a media studies degree list of stereotypes and harmful tropes, from the “whispers” Archer “does not love Test cricket” to the need to “look a little bit more interested”, through “gaming consoles … natural ability … frustrating … lethargic … not strong enough” to “I do not know Jofra”. Right. But we know the type, eh!

There are windows that can be opened rather than closed, ways of understanding. Alternatively you can choose not to listen. Does stupidity get you a pass? Is ignorance a defence? In Vaughan’s case he does at least present watertight credentials.

And yet for all this distraction, it is the ECB that has full sight of all this, that presides over that culture, that has been repeatedly warned down the years; but which, as an essentially commercial, entity, still seems to see this is an unfortunate comms issue to be managed and massaged.

There are few more depressing notes to the last week than the opening to the ECB’s statement on Yorkshire’s investigation which began by noting “damage to the reputations of the game” – as opposed to the fact the game itself is left in shreds by this, that people are genuinely hurt.

It is a comms strategy approach seen last year in the eddies of the Black Lives Matter movement, when suddenly the ECB began to find sympathetic projects to throw money at, when the England team went from wearing a BLM logo, to T-shirts with uplifting phrases, when the Test captain, Root, best friends with Ballance and a former teammate of Rafiq, was wheeled out to say things about “making our game more diverse” and “making everyone feel comfortable playing cricket”.

Only two things are certain in the current confusion. First: Azeem Rafiq is a hero. He will be attacked and abused. Parts of his evidence, offered through a veil of hurt, will be shrieked over and picked away at. He will have to be twice as as good at making people listen. But perhaps the most interesting part of Vaughan’s own mea non culpa was his words on Rafiq as a young player. “He thought out of the box and that excited me. He got Yorkshire going. He was full of energy and buzz.” Well, he was right about that. Rafiq has got Yorkshire going. That energy has not gone to waste. It might ultimately do some good.

The second thing is structural. Sajid Javid was right first time this week when he suggested the ECB is “not fit for purpose”. But then, this model was always a punt, a 25-year experiment in how to run cricket based around TV rights and the England team.

Other things have been neglected along the way: the wider mission, the need to see more than just a commodity to be harvested. In Harrison, a marketeer and a salesman, the ECB probably has the figurehead it deserves right now. But sport must be more than this. It is time for a major regearing of the whole listing ship.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...afiq-yorkshire-cricket?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

But why was the ecb not involved since 2018? What about decades of racial abuse the ecb has turned a blind eye to? Read Barney Ronays recent piece in the guardian or Mark Bouchers documentary in Sky about black England cricketers.

Harrisons lame excuse that they couldn't get involved earlier is ridiculous. Of course they could and they should.

The same Tom Harrison in interview stated that YCCC is suspended from holding a particular match next year but that could all change if YCCC are deemed fit for purpose. A single match ban will be useless if it goes ahead.

The ECB is ticking boxes and waiting for this to blow over.

They're suspended from hosting all major matches, not just a single test. If there are significant changes and Yorkshire end up with a board actively trying to change the current setup then it doesn't make sense to financially cripple them and send them into administration whilst doing that, that helps nobody.

I thought Tom Harrison's statement made a lot of sense. The ECB are there as a regulator. If they had been a joint part of Yorkshires investigation and come to the same conclusion that Yorkshire had there would then be nobody to put these suspensions in place and launch an additional investigation now that the result of the first was clearly not satisfactory.

But before we start apportioning that blame, let us be clear on the roles here. The ECB does not get to act surprised at this, to get away with flaming some flunkies, dropping the toxic Yorkshire brand, throwing its hands up in shock. The ECB is not the judge or the court clerk or whatever role it is currently trying to assume. It is instead the accused.

Spot on.

ECB acting as if they knew nothing about this and that it's a total surprise to them. Leaning on and hiding behind Yorkshire.

Last edited:
I think the gravity of the sanction imposed on Yorkshire by the ECB is being rather underestimated by some.

Yorkshire won’t be able to host major matches or internationals while the suspension is ongoing, meaning that they lose their upcoming England games and potentially have to send full refunds to >100,000 early ticket holders. The 2023 Ashes Test in Leeds is also now in serious doubt.

Yorkshire will also not be able to host The Hundred in 2022, nor any late stage knockout games in the domestic competitions.

Also bang go any TV rights to all of the above.

The ECB sanction will cost YCCC millions upon millions of pounds sterling. It’s a massive punishment.

I think the gravity of the sanction imposed on Yorkshire by the ECB is being rather underestimated by some.

Yorkshire won’t be able to host major matches or internationals while the suspension is ongoing, meaning that they lose their upcoming England games and potentially have to send full refunds to >100,000 early ticket holders. The 2023 Ashes Test in Leeds is also now in serious doubt.

Yorkshire will also not be able to host The Hundred in 2022, nor any late stage knockout games in the domestic competitions.

Also bang go any TV rights to all of the above.

The ECB sanction will cost YCCC millions upon millions of pounds sterling. It’s a massive punishment.

In the meantime, YCCC are suspended from hosting international or major matches until it has clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected of an international venue, ECB member and First Class County.

Let's see how long this sanction lasts.

I reckon by the time next season comes round, things will have changed.

In the meantime, YCCC are suspended from hosting international or major matches until it has clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected of an international venue, ECB member and First Class County.

I mentioned it above but if there are significant changes and Yorkshire end up with a board actively trying to change the current setup then it doesn't make sense to financially cripple them and send them into administration whilst doing that, that helps nobody.

hopefully not... I am a Yorkshire supporter and they need to see the consequences of their inaction. It won't permanently sink them, because they are quite cash-rich, but they will feel a strong pinch from it.

If they want to make an example suspend them from all cricket for a year minimum!

One thing is certain.

Azeem Rafiq's sole campaign has hit at the highest power bearers in English cricket and has challenged the status quo and for that he has to be applauded. I personally didn't think his campaign would become this big actually, and thought he would get ignored.

So fair play to him for persisting in the fight for justice and also the ECB to some extent because Yorkshire is arguably the biggest county out there and to ban them, even temporarily is a huge move. Many of other boards would likely have swept these things under the carpet.

All coming out now isn’t it.

Yup, after 10 seasons Azeem is spilling the beans; typical, keep silent for the sake of prolonging a career but when it is over cry foul and blame the system that gave him an opportunity for over 10 years.

Minorities understand the game; he needs a few bob, files a complain, don’t delay claim today. I bet you he will settle out of court.

The other players coming out are riding on the bandwagon. If players truly feel suicidal cos they are victims of racism or whatever then they should seek legal/professional help there and then, not after the bank balance is drying up.

Yup, after 10 seasons Azeem is spilling the beans; typical, keep silent for the sake of prolonging a career but when it is over cry foul and blame the system that gave him an opportunity for over 10 years.

Minorities understand the game; he needs a few bob, files a complain, don’t delay claim today. I bet you he will settle out of court.

The other players coming out are riding on the bandwagon. If players truly feel suicidal cos they are victims of racism or whatever then they should seek legal/professional help there and then, not after the bank balance is drying up.

He's already turned down a 6 figure settlement offer.

He's actually got his own busines now. Why so salty?

He's already turned down a 6 figure settlement offer.

And? Turning down an offer is not the same as saying he is not seeking a payout.

This story has gone national and still has milage and don't be surprised if another offer is of 7 figures (or closer) given the publicity. He is playing the game whilst smearing genuine victims of institutional racism and innocent names at YCCC.

Last edited:
And? Turning down an offer is not the same as saying he is not seeking a payout.

This story has gone national and still has milage and don't be surprised if another offer is of 7 figures (or closer) given the publicity. He is playing the game whilst smearing genuine victims of institutional racism and innocent names at YCCC.

Yorkshire are going to get nothing out of offering any settlement now, the damage is done.

hopefully not... I am a Yorkshire supporter and they need to see the consequences of their inaction. It won't permanently sink them, because they are quite cash-rich, but they will feel a strong pinch from it.

Yes my point is that the ECB stance is a wait and see one.

They've said that, in the meantime this is the punishment. In the meantime is vague and of course not definite. Things can change quickly despite the ECB being under pressure regarding this.

Andrew Gale Antisemitism

Yorkshire race scandal takes another twist as head coach Andrew Gale is caught in anti-Semitism storm for tweet sent in 2010
Head coach Andrew Gale has been accused of sending anti-Semitic tweet
He allegedly called then Leeds United head of media Paul Dews a 'y**'
This follows Yorkshire's racism scandal that has rocked the world of cricket

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...h-Andrew-Gale-caught-anti-Semitism-storm.html

The Yorkshire race crisis took another twist on Friday when coach Andrew Gale was accused of sending an anti-Semitic tweet when he was captain of the club.

Gale sent a tweet to Leeds United’s then head of media Paul Dews in 2010 that included the words ‘button it yid!’, Jewish News reported yesterday.

The Yorkshire coach said he was ‘completely unaware’ of the offensive nature of the term when he sent the tweet, which was deleted soon after it was posted.

'This post is part of a conversational thread between Paul Dews and myself,’ said Gale. ‘The reference is to a chant that was prevalent at the time towards Leeds fans.

‘Within a few minutes of the post Paul called me and explained the meaning of the word and that it was offensive to Jews. I was completely unaware of this meaning and deleted it immediately. I would never have used that word had I been aware of its offensive meaning and I haven’t used it since.’

Yorkshire chief executive Mark Arthur told Jewish News: ‘This kind of behaviour would be completely unacceptable to the club. Now we are aware of it, it goes without saying we will investigate the allegation thoroughly.’

Coincidentally, they are exactly the same words used by Yorkshire following Sportsmail’s revelation on Friday that an unnamed British Asian member of their academy was another player, along with Azeem Rafiq, to suffer racial abuse.

Clearly the investigations are piling up for Yorkshire and the ECB.

The damage has just started.

Yorkshire have been suspended from hosting major games until they can prove that they are meeting the required standards. Offering someone money to drop their complaints clearly isn't going to do that so would be of no benefit to them.

Yorkshire have been suspended from hosting major games until they can prove that they are meeting the required standards. Offering someone money to drop their complaints clearly isn't going to do that so would be of no benefit to them.

Simply you do not understand the game. ECB are now involved.

Simply you do not understand the game. ECB are now involved.

Please feel free to point out what I'm not understanding:

You've made the pretty disgusting accusation than Rafiq is purely in this for the money. I've pointed out to you that Rafiq has already turned down a 6 figure settlement and you've said that's because he'll be looking for a 7 figure settlement. Why will Yorkshire ever offer a 7 figure settlement when doing so will result in the ECBs sanctions remaining and costing them a 7/8 figure sum of revenue every single year (likely with further sanctions on top of that).

Last edited:
Please feel free to point out what I'm not understanding:

You've made the pretty disgusting accusation than Rafiq is purely in this for the money. I've pointed out to you that Rafiq has already turned down a 6 figure settlement and you've said that's because he'll be looking for a 7 figure settlement. Why will Yorkshire ever offer a 7 figure settlement when doing so will result in the ECBs sanctions remaining and costing them a 7/8 figure sum of revenue every single year (likely with further sanctions on top of that).

Remember folks this guy claimed England bailed the series in Pakistan due to security concerns when it turned out England bailed on fatigue.

Maybe this is the reason report was delayed so the seasons over and they have months to collude together in making half baked promises to minorities before new season.

For some reason - or no reason because possibly I’m indulging in my own bias here - Andrew Gale has always struck me as a dodgy character. What do the England fans think?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Azeem Rafiq father and family take part in a protest outside Yorkshire County Cricket Club's Headingley Stadium in Leeds, in support of the cricketer after he spoke out about the racism and bullying he suffered over two spells at Yorkshire. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AzeemRafiq?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AzeemRafiq</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yorkshire?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yorkshire</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/azGNxwVmKt">pic.twitter.com/azGNxwVmKt</a></p>— peter byrne (@Peter_J_Byrne) <a href="https://twitter.com/Peter_J_Byrne/status/1457098740309925896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Azeem Rafiq father and family take part in a protest outside Yorkshire County Cricket Club's Headingley Stadium in Leeds, in support of the cricketer after he spoke out about the racism and bullying he suffered over two spells at Yorkshire. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AzeemRafiq?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#AzeemRafiq</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yorkshire?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Yorkshire</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/azGNxwVmKt">pic.twitter.com/azGNxwVmKt</a></p>— peter byrne (@Peter_J_Byrne) <a href="https://twitter.com/Peter_J_Byrne/status/1457098740309925896?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 6, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's becoming a bit Greta Thunberg now.

They're suspended from hosting all major matches, not just a single test. If there are significant changes and Yorkshire end up with a board actively trying to change the current setup then it doesn't make sense to financially cripple them and send them into administration whilst doing that, that helps nobody.

I thought Tom Harrison's statement made a lot of sense. The ECB are there as a regulator. If they had been a joint part of Yorkshires investigation and come to the same conclusion that Yorkshire had there would then be nobody to put these suspensions in place and launch an additional investigation now that the result of the first was clearly not satisfactory.

If they are there as a regulator, they have not regulated this issue for almost 4 years...and this is not isolated, please read my post completely before replying.

Maybe this is the reason report was delayed so the seasons over and they have months to collude together in making half baked promises to minorities before new season.

This is quite clearly what will happen, for those of us old enough, it's happened before. Whether it's cricket, football, institutional racism within the police force etc etc etc. Reports are redacted, released slowly, who knows how often they are amended in that time, aspersions are cast on the characters of the victims, minimal measures are taken, there's months of positive PR and then everyone forgets.

Azeem Rafiq should be "praised" for his bravery and "should never have been put through" the Yorkshire County Cricket Club racism scandal, says the club's new chair Lord Patel.

Lord Patel said Yorkshire has settled the employment tribunal with Rafiq.

A report found former player Rafiq was a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at Yorkshire but the club said it would not discipline anyone.

"Azeem is a whistleblower and should be praised as such," Patel said.

"He should never have been put through this.

"We're sorry for what you and your family have experienced and the way in which we've handled this.

"I thank Azeem for his bravery in speaking out. Let me be clear from the outset, racism or discrimination in any form is not banter."

Statement from Azeem Rafiq:

“I want to thank my family, the public, politicians, the media and the many players and coaches who have supported me both publicly and privately. You have given me strength to get through the bad times, of which there have been too many since I first spoke about my experiences.

“I also want to thank Lord Patel for making the offer and sorting this out within 72 hours of his appointment. It should not have taken the rest of the club a year to realise I would not be silenced through an NDA. I spoke out because I wanted to create change at the club. I brought a legal claim because the club refused to acknowledge the problem and create change. For the first time that I can remember, I have hope this might happen – but I will be watching and continue to campaign to ensure that it does.

“As Lord Patel said, this is just the start if we are to make cricket open to everyone, no matter their background. Yorkshire County Cricket Club and the sport at large desperately need reform. I will continue to campaign against institutional racism and look forward to speaking at the select committee hearing next week. I urge others who have suffered to come forward. There is strength in numbers and I will be right behind you.

“This is a good start, but I want to reiterate my call for the change that must come next – and one that must happen quickly. Mark Arthur, Martyn Moxon and many of those in the coaching staff have been part of the problem. They have consistently failed to take responsibility for what happened on their watch and must go. I urge them to do the right thing and resign to make way for those who will do what is needed for the club’s future.

“This has been an exhausting time for my family and for me. I need a few days to take a breath and prepare for the select committee hearing next Tuesday. I am free to speak openly and will continue to do so. I will also continue to campaign for equality and respect for all in cricket and to ensure the game I love is one where everyone is welcomed.”

Back