[VIDEO] Azeem Rafiq files a legal claim against Yorkshire County Cricket Club

*UPDATE STATEMENT - YORKSHIRE CCC & AZEEM RAFIQ*

“The ECB has this afternoon received a copy of the Report carried out on behalf of Yorkshire CCC into the allegations made by Azeem Rafiq, together with assurances from the Club to cooperate fully with the ongoing regulatory process.

“This is a matter with many serious allegations at its heart and the ECB’s regulatory team will now consider the Report as part of its investigation.

“We anticipate that it will take time for the regulatory process to reach its conclusion, but it is imperative that this is completed thoroughly and with fairness to all involved.”

A spokesperson for Azeem Rafiq said:

“We note the statement released by Yorkshire County Cricket Club today. As ever, we will take time to fully respond.

“However, we do also note that the club has come to the conclusion that no employees, players or executives will face disciplinary action. This is despite Yorkshire County Cricket Club’s admission that Azeem was the victim of racial harassment and bullying. This is despite Yorkshire County Cricket Club’s admission that it failed to follow its own policy and investigate allegations of racism as recently as 2018.

“It is inconceivable that there are no current employees who should not have been disciplined for their conduct. Yorkshire’s failures continue to mount up and it is time that board members – for once – do the decent thing and resign.”

Cannot believe Yorkshire Cricket had the gall to state those involved would go unpunished.

Unbelievable whitewash of proceedings and something I hope the ECB will look into.

Horrifying news emerging on the racism investigation report by Yorkshire.

Apparently Yorkshire filed being called a P*ki as "banter" in their report.

==

At least one Yorkshire player admitted to regularly using the term 'P**i' when talking to Azeem Rafiq, according to the report into racism at the club. But he was cleared of wrongdoing on the basis that it was perceived as, what the report says was, friendly, good-natured "banter" between the two players.

The player also admitted to telling other people "don't talk to him [Rafiq], he's a P**i", asking "is that your uncle?" when they saw bearded Asian men and saying "does your dad own those?" in reference to corner shops.

Despite admitting recalling that Rafiq broke down in tears at one point, the player insisted he had no idea he was causing offence and would have stopped if Rafiq had asked.

The individual concerned, who ESPNcricinfo have chosen not to name, is a current senior player at the club.

While the investigating team (the lawyers who were charged with gathering evidence for the report) found such comments to be "capable of creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment…" and accepted Rafiq's "evidence that he was offended, degraded or humiliated and that this amounted to harassment under the Equality Act and the Club's Equal Opportunities policy", the panel (who were charged with making conclusions and recommendations and which included a non-executive member of the Yorkshire board) disagreed.

Their conclusions state "The Panel does not accept that Azeem was offended by [the other player's] comments, either at the time they were made or subsequently."

They go on to say that, in the context of "banter between friends" Rafiq might be "expected to take such comments in the spirit in which they were intended (i.e. good natured banter between friends)… [so] it was not reasonable for Azeem to have been offended by [the other player] directing equally offensive or derogatory comments back at him in the same spirit of friendly banter."

Indeed, the panel accuses Rafiq of using "offensive, racially derogatory comments" when referring to a player of Zimbabwean heritage as "Zimbo from Zimbabwe". The panel viewed this as "a racist, derogatory term" and recommends that, were Rafiq still a Yorkshire player, he should face disciplinary action for using it.

The revelation, which comes days after Yorkshire announced that none of their players, coaches or executives would face disciplinary action as a result of the investigation, may increase doubts over the process and the report that has produced. In particular, equating the terms 'P**i', which is a long-established derogatory term with a history of racist usage, and 'Zimbo', which is generally held to be an abbreviation akin to Aussie or Kiwi without pejorative association, is likely to raise eyebrows.

The ECB, who have been sent Yorkshire's report in recent days after several month's delay, are currently reviewing the information.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...eem-rafiq-being-called-p-i-was-banter-1286449

Last edited by a moderator:
I am confused as to Why Rafiq didn't report this abuse straight away? We are not living in the pre 90s era. ⁴

Damn, all that delaying hoping it would be brushed under the carpet. The ECB need to do something big those in charge need to go and i want to know which players made those racist remarks, any playing for eng now...

Dont select too many of them (asians), is quite concerning.

Horrifying news emerging on the racism investigation report by Yorkshire.

Apparently Yorkshire filed being called a P*ki as "banter" in their report.

It gets much worse. At one point, the senior player who is still at the club said "don't talk to that P***" - so I dont see how that is banter?

Also, they accuse Azeem of racism, for calling someone from Zimbabwe - Zimbo and said if he was still part of club - he would face disciplinary action. And no one getting punished right now? What times do we live in?

Media report withheld the name of the senior player who said this. Hoping someone hacks the report and releases their name. They don't deserve protection.

Seeing as ollie Robinson got suspended for alot less it seems Yorkshire doesn't follow the ECBs principles in fighting racism

and there is a well-known member on here who was suggesting that rafiq wasn't 'good enough' hence he came out with this accusation. shame on him.
in their report, they literally accused him of racism cuz he called someone from zimbabwe a zimbo....which is not a slur and can be written out. in their own report, he gets called p@ki which in england is most definitely a racist slur and its not really racism. Shame on yorkshire cricket club and the england cricket board for letting this sham go on.

The player himself is admitting to saying all these things on a regular basis, and admitting to seeing Rafiq break down crying. This entire sham beggars belief.

Disgraceful. Anyone who has lived in the UK knows the P word can never be used in banter. It is always only used with one purpose which is to hurt and humiliate.

We used to live in the same Flat in "Karachi" near Gulistan e Jauhar,

in our childhood, i had a fight with him over his bad language. (becharay ko bht mara tha) :))

I hope he is ok now !!

ECB UPDATE ON AZEEM RAFIQ AND YCCC

“Last week we received Yorkshire CCC’s report into the racism and bullying allegations Azeem Rafiq made against the club.

“We are conscious about the length of time that Azeem has waited for resolution and the toll that must be taking on his wellbeing and that of his family. We are sorry that, as a sport, this has not yet been resolved.

“We will conduct a full regulatory process that is fair to all parties, but also ensure this happens as quickly as possible. To achieve this, we have secured the services of a QC, along with other external investigatory support to upweight resource around our process. The ECB Board has also reaffirmed its commitment to further additional resource, should the investigation require it.

“We are aware that The Select Committee have called Yorkshire’s Chair, Roger Hutton to give evidence. In the meantime, we will press ahead with our investigation.”

The 'p word' can absolutely be used as banter, but it obviously wasn't in this context. Absolutely ridiculous by the Yorkshire Club. I am pretty shocked.

Story is getting high-level political traction now. I think some YCCC board members must consider their positions.

Yorkshire Cricket Club are an absolute disgrace. They are a racist organization and need to be severely punished. Heads must roll.

As a minority person or someone from an south asian background living in the UK, you must either have an inferior complex or be a special type of coconut if you consider the ‘p word’ as banter, I don’t expect those outside the UK to understand (especially foreign Indians who worship white people and would be willing to be abused here for employment) as much but the word can not be considered anything other then racist, I don’t think the first couple of generations of south asian immigrants would consider it as ‘banter’ either when you review the prejudice and violence they suffered in the 70s and 80s.

And beyond that, it is shocking to see that Rafiq experienced such racist abuse in this day and age, but am not all surprised by the findings from Yorkshire’s report, they are most likely an ignorant / ancient bunch with a narrow view on how to treat people from all backgrounds. It is alien to me how anyone spewing the ‘p word’ has good intentions at heart, most non-asians who use it in the UK understand it’s racist language and generally direct it to brown folk as a means of a pathetic insult, lets not forget the episode with Shilpa Shetty on Big Brother…..

Glad to see the government speak up on this, fair play.

This has got up right to the top of government. YCCC is looking deep in a hole over this one now, and for me as a Yorkshireman and Yorkshire cricket supporter I fully approve. The club and its institutionalised personnel should face severe consequences.

I think people from countries outside the UK simply do not understand the background and implication of the 'P***' word. Only British Pakistanis will understand. Let me summarise - 'P***' has and always will be seen as a derogatory and insulting word. It started in the 60s and was then taken up by the National Front in the 70s. School bullying of asian kids or racist incidents of any kind are commonly associated with using 'P***' in the incidents. The National Front introduced the phrase 'P*** Bashing' when they started attacking Asians in the 70s. So please - do not mention 'P***' and 'Banter' in the same sentence. It is a derogatory, racist insult and the imbeciles who used it against Rafiq need to be bought to book.

I am someone who knows people who have been put in hospital after suffering beatings at the hands of the NF, BNP, BF and various groups, after the word "P---" was used to abuse them. To claim that this could be banter in any way, shape or form is ridiculous. For YCCC to claim it was banter after admitting Rafique broke down and cried is even worse. it becomes unforgivable that even after all this various players and staff have kept jobs or even been promoted.

Every one in any position of power at the club needs to be removed, the county needs to be fined and their participation in the County championship investigated.

Still waiting for [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] to come in and say Yorkshire did nothing wrong and Azeem deserves to be racially abused because of his behaviour.

At least have the decency to admit when you’re wrong. Initially acting like Azeem made the whole thing up because he’s a trouble maker - the tune changed to - he deserves it because he was badly behaved before.

Gary ballance has been named as the player who called rafiq these names, another ex England player in the dirt, I assumed it would be another well known Yorkshire player who has previous for racism

Gary ballance has been named as the player who called rafiq these names, another ex England player in the dirt, I assumed it would be another well known Yorkshire player who has previous for racism

He's also .. Zimbabwean aka Zimbo. Apartheid taught nothing

If you are a person of colour, you realise that racism runs through the veins of English cricket - it's there from schools right through to first-class, in press boxes, in the stands, at the turnstiles, in boardrooms. Things will only improve if people speak up about it.

Azeem has been very brave about this and hasn't given up.

Good on him.

The Yorkshire cricketer accused of calling Azeem Rafiq a 'P**i' is former England star Gary Ballance, MailOnline can exclusively reveal.

Mr Ballance, 31, was also accused by Mr Rafiq of telling other people 'don't talk to him (Rafiq), he's a P**i, asking 'is that your uncle?' when bearded Asian men were in view and saying in reference to corner shops: 'Does your Dad own those?'.

The cricketer, a Zimbabwean-born former Harrow schoolboy, has been approached by MailOnline about the allegation.

The batsman, who signed a new three-year contract with the Headingley club this year, is yet to respond.

His wife Alex said he was not at home this afternoon and declined to comment.

Yorkshire Cricket Club is today being urged to sack him amid allegations he repeatedly abused Mr Rafiq and reduced him to tears for calling him 'p*ki'.

But last year's inquiry into Azeem Rafiq's accusations of alleged institutional racism at Yorkshire cleared a player they declined to name after concluding that regular use of the term 'P**i' came during 'banter' between the pair.

After the story emerged last week, Yorkshire then reiterated that no disciplinary action would be taken by them in the wake of Rafiq's allegations.

It is reported that the panel found Rafiq's reference to the former team-mate who is understood to be Mr Ballance, who is of Zimbabwean heritage, as 'Zimbo from Zimbabwe' as a 'racist, derogatory term'.

The report said that if Rafiq were still at Yorkshire, he would have faced disciplinary action.

The club has not named the cricketer, but Ballance's name was being widely disseminated on social media today.

According to ESPNcricinfo, Yorkshire's report — passed to the ECB for further investigation but never released — cleared Mr Ballance of wrongdoing as it was perceived the comments were made in a friendly, good-natured manner.

The investigating panel did not accept that the ex-England Under 19 captain was offended by the other player's comments, either at the time or at a later date, even though he was seen crying.

They said in the context of 'banter between friends', Rafiq might be 'expected to take such comments in the spirit in which they were intended'.

'The club carried out its own internal investigation which shows there is no conduct or action taken by any current employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action,' read a club statement.

'We do, however, acknowledge we must work hard to restore trust from those who feel let down.

'There is much the club can learn from the independent report and we are committed to incorporating the panel's recommendations into our diversity and inclusion plans.'

Mr Rafiq accused allies of the Yorkshire Cricket Club of mounting a smear campaign against him as sponsors threatened to desert the club.

Born in Zimbabwe, where his parents were tobacco farmers, Gary Ballance moved to England during his school years.

Having been schooled at two boarding schools in Zimbabwe, where he was part of the country's youth cricket set-up, he moved to England in 2006.

After moving to England, Ballance, who has British roots through his grandparents, one of whom flew for the RAF during World War II, attended the prestigious Harrow School.

While at the public school in North West London he was a cricketing team mate of current Glamorgan batsman Sam Northeast.

Playing for Harrow, a young Ballance showed his cricketing pedigree by scoring a century against Eton College at Lord's.

He signed for Derbyshire for the 2006 season, playing exclusively in their second XI. He was noted down at the time in cricketing bible Wisden as a 'real prospect'.

After another season in the second XI, he moved to Yorkshire, where he signed an academy contract which allowed him to study at Leeds Metropolitan University - though he dropped out after a year.

In 2008 he made his debut for Yorkshire, where he was a room mate of current England Test team captain Joe Root.

He broke into the Yorkshire first team in 2011 and impressed, leading to a selection for the England Lions squad for a limited-overs tour of Australia in February 2013.

He was the most prolific batsman in Division One in the 2013 season and, after also impressing with the Lions, debuted for England's Test team against Ireland, in Dublin, in September 2013.

But Ballance, a left handed batsman, failed to impress, getting caught behind without having scored a run.

Despite his unimpressive debut, he was picked as part of the England side for the 2013-2014 Ashes series against Australia, which England lost 5-0.

Ballance was only selected for the fifth and final test, scoring 25 runs across two innings.

While he was earning plaudits on the pitch, particularly at county level, Ballance's life off the pitch was called into question.

He was snapped topless and glassy-eyed in a nightclub in 2014 hours after England were beaten by India - at that point England's ninth successive test match without a victory.

Then 24, the batsman was carried out of the bar in Nottingham after telling incredulous fans: ‘I’m not a cricketer tonight. I’m just a drunken b*****d.’

Back on the pitch though, Ballance was impressing. For England, it took him just ten Tests, and 17 innings, to reach 1000 Test runs - the third quickest in English cricketing history.

At the time he averaged 67.93, with four hundreds and five fifties.

But things turned quickly at the end of 2015, with Ballance having a difficult tour against New Zealand.

And he was dropped after being dismissed for just 14 as England were bowled out for just 103 and suffered a humiliating 405 run defeat to Australia in the second test of the 2015 Ashes series.

He was recalled in 2016 due to Nick Compton's poor form, and hit a good patch with runs against Pakistan.

But difficult tests against Bangladesh saw him slip out of the England set up once more.

Ballance was later recalled to play in the first test against South Africa at Lord's after his form recovered for Yorkshire.

He played the first two tests before a broken thumb ruled him out of the next two matches. Ballance has not played for England since 2017.

Without the pressure of international cricket, Ballance has continued to impress at County level.

He is the only player to have finished in the top six run-scorers in the top flight of the County Championship in each of its last three seasons.

However Ballance missed the entire 2020 domestic season, because of a series of reasons, including suffering from anxiety early in the season, followed by his wife testing positive for Covid-19.

He subsequently missed the start of the 2021 season after a concussion in nets practice.

Earlier this year, Ballance told Sportsmail how the arrival of his newborn son was keeping his mind off a possible England recall - having impressed with the bat.

He said: 'Playing for England was brilliant. I loved it. I’d love to have the opportunity again. But I feel you need to be in a good place physically and mentally to play Test cricket. If you’re not, then you can struggle.'

Last year he revealed that after cricket he hoped to return to his family's farm in Zimbabwe.

He told the Telegraph and Argus: 'They always tell you that you’ve got to look forward to the future.

'Obviously I’ve still got family in Zimbabwe.

'My dad’s out there, my brother and my mum, and they’ve been looking to buy some cows. Hopefully we can get a good number of cows and I can get a bit of an income for when I retire.

'My dad’s only just started it up, so I think it’s in single figures at the moment.

'Hopefully after a few years we’ll get it up to triple figures. You’ve got to think outside of the box!'

The former England under-19 captain also slammed 'silence' from the British Asian and Pakistani communites he believes should be supporting him and declared: 'Even now people trying to discredit me behind the scenes'.

Mr Rafiq has demanded Yorkshire breaks their silence and release the name of his former team-mate' in an uncensored version of their investigation into his allegations of racism and bullying when he played for the team.

He tweeted: 'Even now people [are] trying to discredit me behind the scenes. Guess what they are from my community. It hurts every day!! I will not be scared of any legal actions or things you say about me. You have all tried to END me. Still here & fighting'.

He added: 'When investigating racism, the process needs transparency, not only so people know what happened, but so we can learn from it'.

The former England under-19 captain is to be given the chance to name the Yorkshire Cricket Club teammate who repeatedly called him a 'P*ki' as sponsors threatened to leave the club over its 'repellent and disturbing' handling of the race row, it was revealed today.

MPs from the the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee have invited Mr Rafiq to give evidence in a Westminster showdown with his former bosses on November 16 where he will be able to use Parliamentary Privilege to identify his former team-mate.

Britain's most successful county team is also under increasing political pressure after MPs also summoned chairman Roger Hutton, who is facing calls to resign, to the DCMS hearing with Mr Rafiq. Martyn Moxon, Yorkshire's director of cricket, is also expected to give testimony.

The former England U19 and Yorkshire captain is suing Yorkshire CCC for damages under the Equal Equality Act after reportedly turning down £100,000 from the club if he signed a non-disclosure agreement. The club has said it has offered him a 'full apology' but insists no employees of the club will face any further action.

Today Yorkshire's sponsor Anchor butter, owned by dairy giant Arla, walked away from the club with Tetley's brewery and Emerald Publishing demanding answers following the revelation that the club took no disciplinary action against a current player who regularly called Rafiq a 'P***', according to the independent report commissioned by the county into the former spinner's racism allegations.

The abuse took place before he left in 2018, but Mr Rafiq went public in September 2020 and said he was suicidal after Yorkshire CC refused to release the full report they had commissioned into his claims that he was 'the victim of racial harassment' and 'bullying' during his eight years at the club.

Last week the report was leaked to ESPNcricinfo who reported on Yorkshire's decision to brand the 'P*ki' comments as 'banter' and not discipline the cricketer who used it.

DCMS committee chairman Julian Knight said: 'Why has anyone who ever used the 'p word' still in their job?', adding: 'Given the endemic racism at Yorkshire County Cricket Club, I struggle to think of any reason why that the board should remain in post. This is one of the most repellent and disturbing episodes in modern cricket history'.

Yesterday Health Secretary Sajid Javid called for the board to resign yesterday as he tweeted: 'P*** is not banter. Heads should roll at Yorkshire CCC. If (the) ECB doesn't take action it's not fit for purpose.' Boris Johnson's spokesman then urged the England and Wales Cricket Board to 'investigate this thoroughly and quickly' and 'take action where needed'.

Today Sportsmail can reveal that Yorkshire has already lost one of their main commercial partners and several other sponsors are demanding answers.

A spokesman for Arla Foods, the Danish food company who produce Anchor, said that their butter brand will not renew their sponsorship of the county's 50-over team, while Tetley's brewery and Emerald Publishing are also talking to Yorkshire about their ongoing involvement.

Anchor's decision to walk away will increase the pressure on Yorkshire's other sponsors to act following the revelation by ESPNcricinfo that the club took no disciplinary action against a current player who regularly called Rafiq a 'P***' according to the independent report commissioned by the county into the former spinner's racism allegations.

Emerald have been the title sponsors of Headingley since 2017, while the support of Leeds-based brewery Tetley's goes back decades.

'We are dismayed by the conclusion of an independent panel that the former player, Azeem Rafiq, suffered racial harassment and bullying during his time at the club,' read an Emerald statement.

Yorkshire's handling of the case has horrified Britain with bosses accused of trying to sweep racism under the carpet.

Of last Thursday's announcement that no action would follow, a spokesperson for Rafiq said: 'This is despite Yorkshire's admission that Azeem was the victim of racial harassment and bullying, and despite their admission they failed to follow their own policy and investigate allegations of racism as recently as 2018.

'It is inconceivable that there are no current employees who should not have been disciplined. It is time that board members — for once — did the decent thing and resigned.'

The redacted report, released on September 10, recorded that 'the panel did not find Rafiq's evidence wholly credible. Rafiq and the player engaged in friendly verbal attack towards each other, and no malice was intended by either to the other'.

Rafiq's disturbing account of his time at the club first came to light more than a year ago but recent developments commanded the attention of senior Westminster figures on Tuesday, with Javid's strongly-worded intervention following the news that Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton will be called to face the parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee.

An independent report commissioned by Yorkshire previously resolved that Rafiq, who played for his home county in two stints between 2008 and 2018, had been a victim of 'racial harassment and bullying'. Despite offering an apology, the club went on to state that none of its employees would face any further action.

ESPNcricinfo this week published alleged details of the report, including a senior player's admission that he had repeatedly used the word 'P***' in reference to Rafiq, which was subsequently deemed to be 'in the spirit of friendly banter'.

Javid, the first British Pakistani to head a government department in 2014, posted on Twitter: 'P***' is not banter. Heads should roll at Yorkshire CCC. If @ECB-cricket doesn't take action it's not fit for purpose.'

The closing words amount to a challenge directly aimed at the game's governing body, which has only recently received a full copy of the Rafiq report as part of its own 'thorough and fair' investigation.

A No 10 spokesperson, responding to Javid's comments, said: 'These are very serious allegations which have clearly had a very significant impact on Azeem Rafiq and it's important they are investigated thoroughly and quickly.

'We urge them to look at this with the utmost scrutiny and take action where needed. Language like that should never be used in any context or form whatsoever.'

Asked whether the word 'P***' could ever be used as 'banter', the spokesman added: 'No, this is racist language and should not be used in any context whatsoever.'

In a statement, the ECB apologised for the matter not being resolved and acknowledged the effect of that on the wellbeing on Rafiq and his family.

The ECB said: 'We will conduct a full regulatory process that is fair to all parties, but also ensure this happens as quickly as possible.

'To achieve this, we have secured the services of a QC, along with other external investigatory support to upweight resource around our process. The ECB board has also reaffirmed its commitment to further additional resource, should the investigation require it.'

Looking ahead, Hutton will now be preparing to provide evidence to the DCMS select committee - a session which could yield hitherto unpublished revelations as it will be covered by parliamentary privilege.

DCMS committee chair Julian Knight demanded the resignation of members of Yorkshire's board over what he described as the 'endemic racism' at the club.

He said: 'We want to see much greater transparency from YCCC - it is time for them to answer their critics. We intend to call the Chair of the club before the DCMS Committee to give a much fuller explanation than we have had so far.'

Nadine Dorries, secretary of state for DCMS, added her own thoughts on Twitter, posting: 'Azeem Rafiq's treatment after the racism he faced was disgusting, and the investigation that followed only makes it even worse. The @ECB-cricket investigation must be swift and fully transparent. Racism must be confronted, and NEVER written off as just 'banter'.'

Yorkshire have been contacted for comment by PA, while the man at the centre of the issue, Rafiq, tweeted his own response in the evening.

The Professional Cricketers' Association told the PA news agency: 'The PCA continues to discuss this extremely important issue with stakeholders and is supportive of the ECB's regulative process now the governing body has received the full report.'

The developments in Rafiq's case have also attracted the attention of anti-racism campaign group HOPE Not Hate, with its chief executive Nick Lowles telling PA: 'In 2021, we have a right to expect racism and intolerance to be taken seriously. We cannot sit idly by while institutions try to brush these problems under the carpet - we all have a part to play in refusing to accept racial intolerance and taking a stand against organisations who fail to tackle racism.

'Azeem Rafiq deserves justice. Cricket, like any sport, unites people across many backgrounds - but when institutions fail to safeguard and protect players from abuse, the premise of unity falls apart.'

Yorkshire are also feeling the pinch commercially. Anchor, sponsor of the county's Royal London Cup kit last season, announced it was ending its support, with a tweet reading: 'There is never a place or an excuse for racism. We have no further activity supporting YCCC.'

The Emerald publishing group - a primary sponsor of the county, which has naming rights at Headingley Stadium - has described its 'dismay' at recent reports and expects further action to be taken.

A statement to PA read: 'We take all matters related to any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour seriously and expect all our partners to uphold our values.

'As sponsors of the Headingley stadium, we are dismayed by the conclusion of an independent panel that the former player, Azeem Rafiq, suffered racial harassment and bullying during his time at the club.

'Whilst the club has offered its unreserved apology for this, and has made a number of positive changes in the intervening years, there is clearly still a great deal more to do.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-Azeem-Rafiq-P-understood-Gary-Ballance.html

Several Yorkshire cricket club sponsors have cut or are reviewing ties with the side amid a deepening race row.

David Lloyd Clubs said its relationship with the club was "put on hold a few weeks ago" and would not be reinstated and Yorkshire Tea ended its contract, which was due to end soon, with "immediate effect".

The Emerald Group, a publishing company based in Bingley, also cut ties with the team as political pressure ramps up amid racism allegations by a former player.

They were followed by the Age Partnership which also severed its links to the club. The moves follow Anchor Butter ending its own sponsorship on Tuesday.

Yorkshire County Cricket Club (YCCC) have been accused of "endemic racism" over its handling of allegations from former player Azeem Rafiq.

Rafiq, 30, played for Yorkshire in two spells between 2008 and 2018 and accused them of "institutional racism" over a year ago.

Yorkshire Cricket Club has been accused of 'endemic racism' over its handling of allegations from a former player
Since then, an independent panel assessed the claims on behalf of Yorkshire CCC and it led to an apology being issued to Rafiq but nobody being disciplined.

On Tuesday, Yorkshire's chairman Roger Hutton was summoned to appear before a parliamentary Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee to answer questions over the club's handling of the allegations.

Rafiq himself has also been invited to the hearing, which is thought to be happening on 16 November.

It comes amid increasing political pressure on the club with leading politicians - including former Labour leader Ed Miliband and shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves - writing to the England and Wales Cricket Board to demand action and Health Secretary Sajid Javid saying "heads should roll".

Rafiq's allegations against the club have been in the public domain for over a year but the issue has begun to gather major momentum following revelations by ESPNCricinfo over the contents of an independent report into the matter.

The report upheld that Rafiq had been the victim of "racial harassment and bullying" during his time at the club, but it has since emerged that the panel determined repeated use of the word "P**i" against the spinner was delivered "in the spirit of friendly banter".

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is also assessing Yorkshire's handling of the claims and if it decides to punish the club, sanctions could include temporarily stripping Headingley of its status as a Test match venue.

A statement from the Emerald Group read: "We have today taken the decision to remove our brand association with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and Headingley Stadium.

"We do not tolerate any form of racism or discriminatory behaviour and the damaging effects this has.

"Our intention remains to continue a financial commitment to the stadium itself, which is also the home of Leeds Rhinos rugby, as we believe this supports the aims of diversity and inclusion in sport along with a range of charitable community endeavours."

A Yorkshire Tea spokesperson said: "We were upset to read about the experiences of Azeem Rafiq during his time at Yorkshire Country Cricket Club. We wholeheartedly believe that cricket should be a sport for everyone, but his experiences and the way the panel report has been handled don't reflect that.

"Our current sponsorship of YCCC was naturally coming to an end but we have taken the decision to end it with immediate effect."

In a statement the Age Partnership said: "Following the findings in relation to the report of racism within Yorkshire County Cricket Club, Age Partnership has ceased its partnership with immediate effect and has written to the club earlier today to inform them. Age Partnership would like to stress that there is no place for racism in society."

Other companies have said they are looking into their relationship with the club.

Tetley's beer said it has informed the club of its "intention to not extend" beer sponsorship with them beyond the end of their current contract, although it is unclear when this is due to end.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for First Leeds said: "We are concerned at the findings of this independent panel and are clear that we do not tolerate any form of discrimination. We are seeking to speak with the club at the earliest opportunity."

It comes as the region's two metro mayors, Dan Jarvis (South Yorkshire) and Tracy Brabin (West Yorkshire), co-signed a strongly-worded letter to ECB chief executive Tom Harrison.

They were joined by another 34 local cross party MPs, including prominent backbenchers Hilary Benn and Yvette Cooper as well as assistant government whip Andrea Jenkyns.

It read: "We find any suggestion that using the word "P***" is "banter" truly abhorrent, but for the formal investigation to make such a conclusion brings the report and the club into disrepute.

"As such, the report further erodes confidence in YCCC's commitment to being inclusive to all our communities. We therefore request that the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) establish an immediate, comprehensive and independent inquiry into YCCC's handling of the original allegations and the subsequent investigation.

"We maintain the inquiry must be conducted in a timely and transparent manner, with consequences for both the players responsible, and those board members who have failed to address this blatant racism.

"Cricket is an institution in Yorkshire. No matter who you are or where you come from, everyone should be able to enjoy our beloved game.

"Azeem Rafiq was not afforded the dignity and respect he deserved, it now falls to the ECB to ensure this degrading incident is not repeated. We trust you will treat this matter with the urgency it deserves."

The ECB only received a full copy of the report in Rafiq's account last week and has promised a "full regulatory process that is fair to all parties".

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the ECB said: "We are conscious about the length of time that Azeem has waited for resolution and the toll that must be taking on his well-being and that of his family. We are sorry that, as a sport, this has not yet been resolved."

SKY

STATEMENT FROM GARY BALLANCE

My family and I are deeply saddened and upset by the allegations recently levelled at me in the press and by the misleading and selective nature of the reporting in the last few days. Azeem was not just a teammate of mine but he was my closest friend and supporter in cricket.

Throughout this process I have cooperated with the independent investigation and I have been completely honest and transparent with the club and the investigators at all times. Information and allegations have been leaked and reported in the press which in my view give a misleading impression of the evidence which was heard in the investigation. I had not intended to make any public statement but, given the reports which have been published, and with journalists arriving at my house, I feel I have no choice but to provide a public response.

To be clear – I deeply regret some of the language I used in my younger years. The independent enquiry, having heard all of the evidence, accepted that the context of some of the language used was in a “friendly verbal attack” between friends which was not intended to offend or hurt and that no malice was intended.

Given my incredibly close relationship with Rafa over the years I am saddened that it has come to this. Rafa and I started playing for Yorkshire at a similar time and we quickly developed a very close bond. He encouraged me to play club cricket for his club Barnsley CC, which I did, we went on many tours together, with both Yorkshire and the England Performance Programme, and we always supported each other on and off the pitch. We socialised a lot together away from the game and would also drink and enjoy ourselves together.

On the pitch we supported each other greatly. We both captained Yorkshire at various times and we backed each other when we filled these roles. Rafa has always been a huge supporter of mine and was always there for me in the highs and lows of my career with Yorkshire and England. When he was first released by Yorkshire I was there for him during that tough time and I was delighted when he earned a new contract and a second spell with the club. He was very pleased for me when I was selected for England and I was delighted to receive his supportive messages during my time with England. He was also always a big support to me at some difficult times in my career, and I have always been very grateful to him for that.

Because we were such good friends and spent a lot of time together drinking and on nights out we both said things privately to each other which were not acceptable. It has been reported that I used a racial slur and, as I told the independent enquiry, I accept that I did so and I regret doing so. I do not wish to discredit Rafa by repeating the words and statements that he made about me and others but I have to be clear that this was a situation where best friends said offensive things to each other which, outside of that context, would be considered wholly inappropriate.

I regret that these exchanges took place but at no time did I believe or understand that it had caused Rafa distress. If I had believed that then I would have stopped immediately. He was my best mate in cricket and I cared deeply for him. To my knowledge, it has never been alleged that I reduced Rafa to tears.

That does not mean that what passed between us was right or appropriate. It was not. Rafa said things to me that were not acceptable and I did the same with Rafa. I never said anything with any intended malice or to upset Rafa.

Rafa and I remained closest friends throughout the time we exchanged these inappropriate comments. One winter, I suggested that Rafa and his bowling coach travel to Zimbabwe to stay with my family, which they did. He lived in my family’s house in Zimbabwe and spent time with my parents and my brothers while he trained in Zimbabwe. He would later become very good friends with my brother and the two of them stayed together regularly when my brother was in the UK. Rafa was always very grateful for the support and love which my family gave him and he regularly expressed this to me. I was honoured to be invited to his wedding in Pakistan which I sadly could not attend.

I am aware of how hurtful the racial slur is and I regret that I used this word in immature exchanges in my younger years and I am sure Rafa feels the same about some of the things he said to me as well.

My intention, during this whole process, has been to be honest and cooperate with the independent investigation. In light of recent media reports it is only right, on behalf of me and my family, that I put my position in the public domain.

I will not be making any further statement on this matter.

Quite an emphatic and actually quite believable rebuttal from GB.

Could it be that Azeem acted a certain way when younger in order to fit in but then went on to regret it?

Not victim blaming here but that statement from GB is not what someone who had something to hide would do.

Questions will rightly be asked about Azeems behaviour.

Quite an emphatic and actually quite believable rebuttal from GB.

Could it be that Azeem acted a certain way when younger in order to fit in but then went on to regret it?

Not victim blaming here but that statement from GB is not what someone who had something to hide would do.

Questions will rightly be asked about Azeems behaviour.

I believe Gary ballance

Rafiq seems a bitter person with an axe to grind.

Where the other Asian players , rana naveed , ajmal shahzad , adil rashid

How come they weren't called p word or victims of racism at Yorkshire

Ajmal shahzad totally denied any racism whilst he was at the club or unaware of anything that happened.

Gary ballance was in the England team with moeen ali who is religious, Moeen ali would be a more stick out target with his beard etc

Yet is there any evidence mooen ali suffered racism or had any issue with ballance ?

The best way to sump it up is rafa career stalled and he didn't progress, his performances declined , he had sold his culture and religion to be one of the lads and go to the pub and clubbing and pretend he is white and one of the lads , the moment he sold his respect I guarantee you the white teammates his so called friends lost any respect for him and he basically bought the racism onto himself .

Last edited:
I believe Gary ballance

Ajmal shahzad totally denied any racism whilst he was at the club or unaware of anything that happened.

Gary ballance was in the England team with moeen ali who is religious, Moeen ali would be a more stick out target with his beard etc

Yet is there any evidence mooen ali suffered racism or had any issue with ballance ?

The best way to sump it up is rafa career stalled and he didn't progress, his performances declined , he had sold his culture and religion to be one of the lads and go to the pub and clubbing and pretend he is white and one of the lads , the moment he sold his respect I guarantee you the white teammates his so called friends lost any respect for him and he basically bought the racism onto himself .

The truth is somewhere in between. Yorkshire have hidden racism and blatantly victim blamed.

I believe Gary ballance

Although what you say maybe true but in what World does Gary Ballance live if he thinks that calling someone a **** is acceptable, no what matter how close you are to the person. My question is why Rafiq didnt report this abuse straight away.

ballance's statement does not sound like someone who has anything to hide, if rafiq did really go to zimbabwe to stay with his family he really has no leg to stand on, either he did that knowing they are racist and he was cool with, which makes no sense, or he didnt think they were racists.

also ballance's elaboration on the context within which it was said changes the context. if it wasnt during "work" hours, then how can YCCC be held responsible. this has the potential to really backfire on rafiq, and desis who face actual racism.

Although what you say maybe true but in what World does Gary Ballance live if he thinks that calling someone a **** is acceptable, no what matter how close you are to the person.

its very grey ground, especially when you think someone is your friend and a racial slur would be interpreted as a joke.

My question is why Rafiq didnt report this abuse straight away.

this is the real queston, its obvious from ballance's statement that he did not find it particularly offensive at the time.

I believe Gary ballance

That makes no sense whatsoever

Whitewashed British Asians do not invite racism by white Freinds and peers.

As a bare minimum, I expect the following;

1. The player named for using the P word to be banned for 2 years and kicked out of the club along with any other player who used the P word.

2. The whole Yorkshire squad to be fined a months salary to be given to charity and given training on basic manners and dealing with ethnic minorities.

3. The Yorkshire squad to give coaching in the ethnic community to create sone goodwill.

4. The Yorkshire committee to resign along with any coaching staff still around from the Rafeeq days.

Update:

I have read Gary Balance’s statement and I must admit that whilst I still believe in the punishmentsI have mentioned in previous posts, I am now starting to wonder h ok e much Rafiq contributed to this. He has already lost my respect now that realise he resorted to drinking and trying to fit in using methods no self respecting Muslim would resort to.

I stick by my belief that YCCC and the racist players need to be punished.
But my respect for Rafiq and my sympathies for him have reduced to some degree.

That makes no sense whatsoever

Whitewashed British Asians do not invite racism by white Freinds and peers.

These terms havent been acceptable since the late 80s. So why Ballance used these abusive terms is anyones guess. But if Rafiq was offended then why didnt he report them at the time, why didnt he report them when his career went downhill.

Update:

I have read Gary Balance’s statement and I must admit that whilst I still believe in the punishmentsI have mentioned in previous posts, I am now starting to wonder h ok e much Rafiq contributed to this. He has already lost my respect now that realise he resorted to drinking and trying to fit in using methods no self respecting Muslim would resort to.

Do we know who the players were and what they said.

These terms havent been acceptable since the late 80s. So why Ballance used these abusive terms is anyones guess. But if Rafiq was offended then why didnt he report them at the time, why didnt he report them when his career went downhill.

In my younger days my multi racial friend group often made jokes like this about each other.

Not something im especially proud of but it happens.

Certain things are said as jokes but you cant repeat them to a wider audience.

Gary Balance said stuff that he believed was banter. Azeem sounds like he let him say it.

Not gonna lie brothers but I think this case will set us back quite a bit.

Azeems sold all us brothers down the river here. He cant complain about racism after going on nights out with the same people and staying at their houses.

In my younger days my multi racial friend group often made jokes like this about each other.

Not something im especially proud of but it happens.

Certain things are said as jokes but you cant repeat them to a wider audience.

Gary Balance said stuff that he believed was banter. Azeem sounds like he let him say it.

But Ballance is an idiot and Rafiq seems to be shifty. If Rafiq reported the comments at the time and YK didnt do anything then YK deserve all the criticism coming their way and i may be wrong, but it seems that he didnt report the comments until his career went south.

Because he wouldnt go anywhere with them, they will just be ignored and silenced at the time. It’s how it always has been until recently. Racism wasn’t taken as seriously in the 90s leading up to the recent activism and woke society. Nearly everyone here must have suffered racism due to 9/11 and the subsequent terrorist attacks that have happened in the west. Did anyone report and get support for the racism they suffered at the time? Small, sly and hurtful remarks with deeply insensitive and racist meanings.

I remember I was playing for a cricket club in 2006 in Surrey. A pre match fielding drill was taking place and the team was giving catching practice to each other with one cricket ball. Every time a Muslim/Asian who wasn’t familiar with English properly would through the ball in the air, a senior club official would shout ‘it’s a bomb’ whilst a few of the white guys/teenagers would smirk and laugh. Where would I go with this? Who would I complain to and would it draw as much attention and apology as it has now for Rafiq?

Because he wouldnt go anywhere with them, they will just be ignored and silenced at the time. It’s how it always has been until recently. Racism wasn’t taken as seriously in the 90s leading up to the recent activism and woke society. Nearly everyone here must have suffered racism due to 9/11 and the subsequent terrorist attacks that have happened in the west. Did anyone report and get support for the racism they suffered at the time? Small, sly and hurtful remarks with deeply insensitive and racist meanings.

I remember I was playing for a cricket club in 2006 in Surrey. A pre match fielding drill was taking place and the team was giving catching practice to each other with one cricket ball. Every time a Muslim/Asian who wasn’t familiar with English properly would through the ball in the air, a senior club official would shout ‘it’s a bomb’ whilst a few of the white guys/teenagers would smirk and laugh. Where would I go with this? Who would I complain to and would it draw as much attention and apology as it has now for Rafiq?

I am not so sure, he didnt need them, he had made into the YK team so he had no reason to think that if he spoke up, he would become a target. He had a duty to speak up and complain to the management and he didnt. What really be interesting if he remained friends with Ballance after this abuse, or did he stop talking to him straight away.

I am not so sure, he didnt need them, he had made into the YK team so he had no reason to think that if he spoke up, he would become a target. He had a duty to speak up and complain to the management and he didnt. What really be interesting if he remained friends with Ballance after this abuse, or did he stop talking to him straight away.

according to ballance statement he went and stayed with his family after the incident.

Azeems sold all us brothers down the river here. He cant complain about racism after going on nights out with the same people and staying at their houses.

this. i supported rafiq and was happy the issue was raised at a political level. but ballance's statement throws a spanner in the works, it really makes rafiq look likes hes shifty at best and trying to leverage something at worst.

Update:

I believe Gary ballance

People make mistakes especially in their youth. A lot of young Muslims in the west drink and go partying. It's very easy to act moral on the internet but for someone of Azeem Rafiq's profile and following, it's an even bigger challenge to avoid that lifestyle.

Regardless of the lifestyle he followed, whether you agree with or disagree that does not warrant any form of racism, so to read "he basically bought the racism onto himself" is a really distasteful thing to say.

People make mistakes especially in their youth. A lot of young Muslims in the west drink and go partying. It's very easy to act moral on the internet but for someone of Azeem Rafiq's profile and following, it's an even bigger challenge to avoid that lifestyle.

Regardless of the lifestyle he followed, whether you agree with or disagree that does not warrant any form of racism, so to read "he basically bought the racism onto himself" is a really distasteful thing to say.

These guys who live thks type of double life do more damage to the rest of with their hypocrisy than any racism.

Their duplicity puts people on edge. GB thought he was having a laugh with his mate who has now decided to sell him down the river.

If Ballance is telling the truth and Azeem lead him to believe it was just banter and Gary was his best mate then the fault doesn't lie with Gary.

If as Gary alleges they got drunk together and Azeem was all good with being called the p word then what conclusion can you draw apart from bringing 'racism' upon himself?

^ of course this is only for the GB incidents in isolation.

Azeem may have suffered from other incidents from other players/club members.

Need to hear about the full thing before drawing conclusions.

This is what I know and believe in. Please note that this does not excuse Yorkshire cricket club’s role in all this and they should be punished at the very least for their farcical inquiry findings.

Anyways.
1) Azeem was a young, impressionable guy who wanted to fit in the dressing room and be one of ‘the boys.’ He decided drinking out and going to pubs was the way to do it (the fact that he drank in younger days is common knowledge - and I don’t believe he should be judged for it)

2) Azeem superficially got close to it. And in the actual ‘banter’ he was called the P word. He likely said other terms too but the white guys (Ballance in particular) using that word hit him. In the white guys perspective it’s ok if close buddies say that like somehow African Americans are called the N word by close homies.

3) Azeem did not like being called the P word but he wasn’t too bothered to make an issue of it either. Especially if it jeopardized him being ‘one of the boys’. For me it shows mental weakness that you’re going to sell your identity for some superficial friendships. You can find enough friends who are respectful of your beliefs (if you have them)

4) Azeems career declined over the years and in his mind he believes these episodes were a reason for it too. And this is why he came forward now

However the case looks opportunistic and weak to me with recent revelations.

What Yorkshire needs to be held accountable for is trying to suppress the investigation.

The ‘abuse’ happened when they were much younger. Azeem lost his contract and Balance became an international cricketer. You grow apart naturally sometimes and that’s what happened.

This is what I know and believe in. Please note that this does not excuse Yorkshire cricket club’s role in all this and they should be punished at the very least for their farcical inquiry findings.

Anyways.
1) Azeem was a young, impressionable guy who wanted to fit in the dressing room and be one of ‘the boys.’ He decided drinking out and going to pubs was the way to do it (the fact that he drank in younger days is common knowledge - and I don’t believe he should be judged for it)

2) Azeem superficially got close to it. And in the actual ‘banter’ he was called the P word. He likely said other terms too but the white guys (Ballance in particular) using that word hit him. In the white guys perspective it’s ok if close buddies say that like somehow African Americans are called the N word by close homies.

3) Azeem did not like being called the P word but he wasn’t too bothered to make an issue of it either. Especially if it jeopardized him being ‘one of the boys’. For me it shows mental weakness that you’re going to sell your identity for some superficial friendships. You can find enough friends who are respectful of your beliefs (if you have them)

4) Azeems career declined over the years and in his mind he believes these episodes were a reason for it too. And this is why he came forward now

However the case looks opportunistic and weak to me with recent revelations.

What Yorkshire needs to be held accountable for is trying to suppress the investigation.

Agree with first three, 4 is cause and effect.

Rafiq wasn't a bad cricketer, actually quite good. I was bemused when his first spell ended and surprised when he came back - Rashid was involved with England more regularly.

Too many good Brit Paks have left for village cricketers to hold down a place at the countries biggest club.

Why are people using their moral compass to make a judgement?. Suppose the QC will do that. Also, who led the Yorkshire report ?..

Last edited:
As a minority person or someone from an south asian background living in the UK, you must either have an inferior complex or be a special type of coconut if you consider the ‘p word’ as banter, I don’t expect those outside the UK to understand (especially foreign Indians who worship white people and would be willing to be abused here for employment).,..

Wow! You start with claiming minority status and not even half way into your statement about racism, have already made a generalised negative remark against another group. “Indians” “worship” indeed!

And then you complain about racism when it’s applicable to your minority group.

SMH.

Society can draw a line between acceptable and offensive banter. But more blurred is the line that two friends draw between themselves. And to add to the confusion, now it seems that both parties are today reinterpreting the already nuanced understanding that they once had.

Ballance’s statement - if one is to believe it - has made a horribly complicated situation even more complex. He is portraying a ‘lads will be lads’ environment, one in which not only were he and Azeem great mates, supportive of each other, they were on ‘stay at each other’s homes’ terms.

Those of you living in England can best answer whether in the past or now it was acceptable for a white person to banter with his good/ best Asian mate using the P word in a private setting. The additional nuance is that Ballance implies that Azeem too used some objectionable terms to him.

Living in the US my best friend was (and is) an African American. He freely uses the N word for his black friends and even sometimes for me. But I have never even dreamt of using it to him at any time, under any circumstances. Now would any white person I know (unless they’re using it as an insult of course, which is different).

Ballnce's statement is quite odd, he mentions he was "very close friends" with Rafique on several occasions, so how did he react when he saw Rafique crying and hurt by the abuse? (I am considering Ballance is the player in question in the report). Did that not make him realise and re-evaluate his own actions?

There's a similar spin bowling all-rounder at Yorkshire who is an England regular

He's called adil rashid .

It seems totally ridiculous one player has hit the top and plays at the club and has not been effected by racism and can still grow a beard and hold on to his deen and then you have an upstart like rafiq who is suffering .

That’s like saying that a battered wife is to blame for staying in an abusive marriage.

Abusers will pretend to be matey with abused people to put them off their guard, make them question their values and even sanity. Or make themselves believe they are not abusers by being kind sometimes.

Rafiq was manipulated - he was trying hard to be a team mate in a toxic culture, until it got too much.

Why didn't he speak up earlier....he was young and naive....many of us have had the P word thrown at us and not reacted at the time!
Making an issue of the fact he drank, the abuse he was receiving was not based on his Muslimness but on his ethnicity, anyone from the UK will know that all South Asians are lumped as the same when making such comments. (
(Muslims drink of all backgrounds)

YCCC may have many successful South Asian heritage players but doesn't invalidate the treatment of Rafique.

Also for them to say Zimbo is racist and P isn't just shows what they thought about race relations, especially as we know the player in question was a white Zimbawain.

That’s like saying that a battered wife is to blame for staying in an abusive marriage.

Abusers will pretend to be matey with abused people to put them off their guard, make them question their values and even sanity. Or make themselves believe they are not abusers by being kind sometimes.

Rafiq was manipulated - he was trying hard to be a team mate in a toxic culture, until it got too much.

Having been in similar environments and a similar age to Rafiq - I find it hard to believe that it is similar to domestic abuse.

We will need to wait for the final outcome and review but in isolation the Gary Balance incident sounds a lot like the type of "banter" that multi-cultural friend groups have.

I worry about Azeems mental health though because it's clear that the guy has hit rock bottom multiple times. Darren Gough spoke quite passionately about this on talksport earlier. He needs help, love and acceptance urgently. Unfortunately, people who play this double game and find it difficult to juggle multiple identities such as being one of the lads at work, while being devout and traditional at home, often end up badly damaged.

IMO it’s LESS important whether Azeem as one person was racially abused, and MORE that apparently a system existed (or exists) at Yorkshire in which people thought they could get away with it.

We should NOT be conflating or confusing Azeem the person with the allegations he has made, many of which have been confirmed by the club’s own internal audit.

Obviously Azeem has his faults. Who doesn’t? Every single person who’s been a whistle blower has been accused of some personal foible or the other. That does not detract from his core allegations.

So he drank as a Muslim. So what? That gives license to anyone to insult him using a racist term?

So he made these allegations after (apparently) his career tanked. So what? Does that make a wrong a right?

What is important is that Yorkshire enforces a SYSTEMIC change that absolutely prevents people from thinking that just because they’re best mates or team mates they can resort to such insults.

I’ve given my example in an earlier quote: At no time have I ever thought of using the N word on my African American best frend, no matter how friendly or how drunk we were, because the system or common culture that was imbibed into me in the US told me that it was NOT done. That’s the change that’s needed here.

There are too many negative examples I’ve read of the Yorkshire culture - from articles by journalists to personal testimonies by forumers here- to believe that all is well at this club

Azeem Rafiq: Yorkshire calls board meeting for Friday to discuss racism allegations

Yorkshire County Cricket Club has called an unscheduled board meeting for Friday to discuss the ongoing fallout from Azeem Rafiq's racism allegations.

Sponsors have ended partnerships with Yorkshire this week and a senior MP has called for the board to resign.

An investigation found former spinner Rafiq had been a victim of "racial harassment and bullying" at the club.

Yorkshire has previously said it would take no disciplinary action against its employees, players or executives.

That followed Yorkshire's own investigation into the findings of the independent report.

However, the fallout intensified on Monday when ESPN Cricinfo reported a racist term about Rafiq's Pakistani heritage was regularly used towards him, but the investigation concluded it was "friendly and good-natured banter".

Rafiq's former team-mate Gary Ballance says he was responsible for some of the racist language Rafiq was subjected to during his time at Headingley.

Julian Knight MP, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee, has called on the Yorkshire board to resign.

Senior Yorkshire officials have also been called to attend a DCMS select committee hearing on 16 November.

Rafiq, who last played for Yorkshire in 2018, will also give evidence at the hearing.

Ballance, who still plays for Yorkshire and has 23 England Test caps, said on Wednesday he "regrets" using racist language towards Rafiq.

On Thursday, Rafiq responded by saying it is "not about individuals" but "institutional racism and abject failures" by leaders at Yorkshire and in the wider game.

He added that Yorkshire and cricket "desperately needs reform and cultural change".

"I am not intending to say very much until the select committee hearing later this month," Rafiq said.

Yorkshire have been approached for comment. The club has previously said its decision to not take any disciplinary action does not "diminish the importance of the findings or the fact that there is much the club can learn from the report".
Yorkshire's response what 'you'd expect in '70s or '80s'

Yorkshire's investigations began in 2020 after Rafiq claimed "institutional racism" at the club left him close to taking his own life.

After more than a year - and having been asked to do so by MPs - Yorkshire released the findings of an independent report which upheld seven of the 43 allegations made by Rafiq.

Speaking before the board meeting was called, former England batter Mark Butcher said Yorkshire's reaction "beggars belief".

"You get to this point, November 2021, you're thinking 'OK: the penny's dropped, people have got it', and then Yorkshire come out with a report, where they basically turn a deaf ear to all of the stories, the testimony that has been heard over the course of the last 18 months and react to Azeem Rafiq's complaint in a way that you expect to happen in the '70s or '80s," Butcher, who played 71 Tests for England, told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Butcher said Ballance "is the first person from Yorkshire to come out with any sort of credit".

"I'm sure the spotlight is going to turn very harshly on Gary Ballance right now," Butcher said.

"I don't excuse the language that he used, but I do actually say: 'Fair play to him for sticking his head above the parapet and taking a little bit of responsibility on for this'.

"The rest of the cricket club could do with taking a leaf out of his book."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59163175

IMO it’s LESS important whether Azeem as one person was racially abused, and MORE that apparently a system existed (or exists) at Yorkshire in which people thought they could get away with it.

We should NOT be conflating or confusing Azeem the person with the allegations he has made, many of which have been confirmed by the club’s own internal audit.

Obviously Azeem has his faults. Who doesn’t? Every single person who’s been a whistle blower has been accused of some personal foible or the other. That does not detract from his core allegations.

So he drank as a Muslim. So what? That gives license to anyone to insult him using a racist term?

So he made these allegations after (apparently) his career tanked. So what? Does that make a wrong a right?

What is important is that Yorkshire enforces a SYSTEMIC change that absolutely prevents people from thinking that just because they’re best mates or team mates they can resort to such insults.

I’ve given my example in an earlier quote: At no time have I ever thought of using the N word on my African American best frend, no matter how friendly or how drunk we were, because the system or common culture that was imbibed into me in the US told me that it was NOT done. That’s the change that’s needed here.

There are too many negative examples I’ve read of the Yorkshire culture - from articles by journalists to personal testimonies by forumers here- to believe that all is well at this club

This is exactly what what Azeem has stated in his latest post on the matter. The fact that this is just one in a line of racist/bigoted systemic abuses in YCCC is still more alarming.

There's a similar spin bowling all-rounder at Yorkshire who is an England regular

He's called adil rashid .

It seems totally ridiculous one player has hit the top and plays at the club and has not been effected by racism and can still grow a beard and hold on to his deen and then you have an upstart like rafiq who is suffering .

Rafiq is an immigrant and he was targeted because of it. Rashid has been quiet but fan attitude towards him is far from innocent... The county's rotten

Rafiq is an immigrant and he was targeted because of it. Rashid has been quiet but fan attitude towards him is far from innocent... The county's rotten

He came as a kid and grew up in the UK went through all the school and club setup infact judging by his way of life he took the English way of life more than people born here , living here 3 generations.

Same way khwaja did in Australia came as a kid and got to play for his country.

Australia is probably more tougher place to crack it and more racist

He came as a kid and grew up in the UK went through all the school and club setup infact judging by his way of life he took the English way of life more than people born here , living here 3 generations.

Same way khwaja did in Australia came as a kid and got to play for his country.

Australia is probably more tougher place to crack it and more racist

Khawaja has actually fully assimilated too..

Khawaja has actually fully assimilated too..

He found it very tough, as he drew the line at pub outings...and missed out on team events etc. He made in spite of everything that thrown at him. In Australia cricket is be the one sport that majority Anglo Saxon.

ECB BOARD STATEMENT ON YORKSHIRE

The ECB Board today discussed the developments in relation to Yorkshire County Cricket Club (YCCC).

It is clear to the Board that YCCC’s handling of the issues raised by Azeem Rafiq is wholly unacceptable and is causing serious damage to the reputation of the game.  The ECB find this matter abhorrent and against the spirit of cricket and its values.

There is no place for racism or any form of discrimination in cricket and where it is found, swift action must be taken. This matter must be dealt with robustly if the sport is to demonstrate its commitment to truly being a game for everyone.

The ECB Board agreed:

- The ECB will therefore hold YCCC to account in relation to their handling of the matter. Given recent events, it is clear there are serious questions regarding the governance and management of YCCC. The club’s failure in relation to actions and responses to their own report represent a significant breach of its obligations to the game.

- As a governing body with duties to act for all in cricket, the ECB Board reaffirmed its commitment to taking decisions in the best interests of the whole game. It also agreed that sanctions including, but not limited to, financial and future major match allocations may be considered at the conclusion of our investigations.

- In the meantime, YCCC are suspended from hosting international or major matches until it has clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected of an international venue, ECB member and First Class County.

- The ECB Board has asked the ECB Executive to commission a review of Yorkshire CCC’s governance to consider whether the existing arrangements are fit for purpose.

- That the regulatory processes already underway into the allegations brought by Azeem Rafiq will ultimately be determined by an independent tribunal (The Cricket Disciplinary Committee).

- Before any regulatory investigation is complete, the Board wishes to take immediate action in relation to Gary Ballance. While Mr Ballance has not been selected to play for England since 2017, he will be suspended indefinitely from selection. This position will be reviewed following the ECB regulatory investigation into his conduct.

The Board reiterated its unwavering commitment to ensuring that cricket is a game for everyone. Discrimination of any kind on the field of play, in the dressing room, in the stands, or in the boardroom is intolerable in sport or indeed, society. Cricket must work together to eradicate it.

Ridiculous responses in this thread since Ballances statement came out. Like puppets on string you've fallen for the "he drinks" (mentioned twice) line and turned on him. It doesnt make calling him a **** alright.

He probably didnt report it before because he'd be risking his career.

So much more to racism at Yorkshire, its institutional. Most responses pointing the finger at Azeem in this thread are so so far off the mark, its frankly disturbing.

He grew up in Barnsley. Ask any apna from South Yorkshire and they'll tell you how tough that place is for a young Pakistani kid to grow up in. Unlike Rotherham and Sheffield, there isn't the community there (certainly not when he was coming of age) and the possibility of him turning out the way he did was very high, even if it's as a case of self preservation.

I see Azeem is still being blamed in here by some.

Absolutely laughable really.

Those that are blaming him listen to what Darren Gough said about him today and then look the mirror, and then judge others.

Breaking news...Yorkshire loses right to host England matches...brilliant...hit them where it hurts...in their pockets!

Tbf we have a pretty green and gullible user base in here. Some of which would fall for the slightest story by The S*n.

You guys fall for the racism card too easily.

Sure there may be more to it than the Gary Ballance situation, but that situation in isolation is pretty unremarkable.

Lets wait and see what else is to come.

Many of us aren't 'green and gullible' but have grown up in racist environments and instead of falling for every allegation can relate it to our own experiences.

Im the same age as Azeem. No chance in hell would have I had drunken conversations where I allowed people to call me the P word and then went to their wedding/houses abroad. Mans gotta take some accountability.

I see Azeem is still being blamed in here by some.

Absolutely laughable really.

Those that are blaming him listen to what Darren Gough said about him today and then look the mirror, and then judge others.

Just because someone has mental health issues or is suicidal doesn't make them correct.

I fully sympathise with Azeem and I hope he gets the help he needs.

Again, what we have heard so far seems far fetched. Maybe my opinion will change when the full report is released. But I have a feeling our community will have egg our face when more of his antics are revealed.

You guys fall for the racism card too easily.

Sure there may be more to it than the Gary Ballance situation, but that situation in isolation is pretty unremarkable.

Lets wait and see what else is to come.

Many of us aren't 'green and gullible' but have grown up in racist environments and instead of falling for every allegation can relate it to our own experiences.

Im the same age as Azeem. No chance in hell would have I had drunken conversations where I allowed people to call me the P word and then went to their wedding/houses abroad. Mans gotta take some accountability.

'You guys' being not just us but the ECB and also Yorkshire Cricket admitting to what happened...yet it's 'you guys fall for the racism card easily'

You're also conflating what he does outside of cricket with his 'friends' to what happened and which was investigated.

Reading someone's statement about not being racist doesn't inturn mean they've not said racist stuff. We had users on here say, and I paraphrase 'I've read the Ballance statement and it sounds like he's telling the truth' all the while blaming Azeem for what happened.

I feel some of the users on here don't even read what the hell happened and will willingly be okay with a statement made by the guilty party, but in the same breathe also put the blame on the person being abused.

Enough of the 'He shouldn't have been drinking or going to parties and okay with being called *insert racist word*' crap.

Just because someone has mental health issues or is suicidal doesn't make them correct.

I fully sympathise with Azeem and I hope he gets the help he needs.

Again, what we have heard so far seems far fetched. Maybe my opinion will change when the full report is released. But I have a feeling our community will have egg our face when more of his antics are revealed.

Read what I wrote. I wasn't saying he's correct or at fault. The reply is to those saying he drank alcohol.

No-one can judge any person of being untrustworthy of what they claim just because they were drinking.

Next time don't jump on something you don't understand and read through the replies above.

I’m not always the biggest fan of the ECB but this is a strong, robust move from them to sanction YCCC in this way. Well done.

I'm not getting too excited at the ECB's statement just yet.

In the meantime, YCCC are suspended from hosting international or major matches until it has clearly demonstrated that it can meet the standards expected of an international venue, ECB member and First Class County.
This is vague. Who decides they've met the standards, what are the standards, where are they documented?

Before any regulatory investigation is complete, the Board wishes to take immediate action in relation to Gary Ballance. While Mr Ballance has not been selected to play for England since 2017, he will be suspended indefinitely from selection. This position will be reviewed following the ECB regulatory investigation into his conduct.
What's the point of this? Ballance is nowhere near the England squad at the moment.

It also agreed that sanctions including, but not limited to, financial and future major match allocations may be considered at the conclusion of our investigations.
May !

Back