[VIDEO] Ben Stokes abusing Misbah after getting owned - fair play?

That's the difference between sledging and abuse to be fair

Not much kiwi discipline in what he said
It is really shameful

With stump mic's and tv camera's nowadays being able to zoom in so that every word of abuse can be heard and/or lip-read by young viewers, it's time for the ICC to come down harshly on the use of abusive language by players. No longer should it be simply treated as 'banter' or 'harmless sledging' in the middle.

It's verbal abuse, pure and simple. Other sport authorities are outlawing it and coming hard on the culprits for the sake of their sport.

Cricket is facing difficulties as it is in terms of spectators in the grounds. It will also end up losing tv viewers if parents watching matches in the company of their children decide they've had enough of seeing and hearing disgusting verbal abuse being dished out by players.

How can parents expect to educate their children against dishing out verbal abuse if their sporting heroes are doing the same on tv?

ICC needs to clamp down hard - starting now.

Parents should try being better parents instead of letting their children be raised by people they see on TV.

If Wahab got fined for just clapping in Watson's face then surely Stokes deserves a hefty fine too but then it's again it's ICC, hypocrisy is in their blood.

Completely unacceptable behavior on cricket field, the way he was swearing and using vulgar words was inappropriate. General swearing often happen on cricket field, but it is the manner in which Misbah was targeted repeatedly which is nothing short of an insult.

I'm actually disappointed that Misbah didn't respond back verbally, because Stokes was repeatedly cussing and using the most nasty words that warranted a strong response. But our players are too timid to stand up for themselves and be counted when there is any confrontation, just imagine if any Indian gets abused/targeted by an Englishman, all hell will break lose and it's not gonna end well for their opponents.

Don't be silly. Misbah is too mature and smart to get involved in a row against a frustrated youngster when he's dominating.

Parents should try being better parents instead of letting their children be raised by people they see on TV.

I think you haven't been around kids very much so for your information, children are very impressionable and if they see one of their heroes doing something, they are likely to replicate it out on the streets or in school. The only things the parents can do is to treat cricket just like a TV-MA program but why in the world would we want that? Just ask the players to not swear on the field, it really isn't difficult.

Only showed his own frustration and probably enticed misbah into phaintifying the poms even more.

Written by someone who's obviously not a parent :facepalm:

What do you suggest? Parents shouldn't allow their kids to watch cricket on tv due to adult content in the form of abusive language directed at opponents?

or let them watch, but when they come and say "Daddy, my favourite player shouted f*****g p**k at the other guy. Can I say the same to Tommy next door when I go to his house to play?" make sure they already haven't done so, especially in the presence of Tommy's patents.

Lol Stokes is white he won't be fined, there is more chance of ICC fining Misbah for causing white boy to get angry

I think you haven't been around kids very much so for your information, children are very impressionable and if they see one of their heroes doing something, they are likely to replicate it out on the streets or in school. The only things the parents can do is to treat cricket just like a TV-MA program but why in the world would we want that? Just ask the players to not swear on the field, it really isn't difficult.

Really, that's the only thing parents can do?

Written by someone who's obviously not a parent :facepalm:

What do you suggest? Parents shouldn't allow their kids to watch cricket on tv due to adult content in the form of abusive language directed at opponents?

or let them watch, but when they come and say "Daddy, my favourite player shouted f*****g p**k at the other guy. Can I say the same to Tommy next door when I go to his house to play?" make sure they already haven't done so, especially in the presence of Tommy's patents.

Ah yes, the old "You're not a parent" argument which is thrown up by crappy/lazy parents all over the internet.

If the kid can lip read "****ing *****" from the TV replay then he's already heard it somewhere before in real life. Most probably at home or in school, which are both environments which are far more influential on a child's development than watching cricket on TV.

If he hasn't heard it before, then he will ask you what "****ing *****" means, which is where you do your job as a parent.

So again, my response to anyone hand-wringing over Stokes being a petulant idiot is to spend less time worrying about him and focus a bit of that time on being a better parent.

Ah yes, the old "You're not a parent" argument which is thrown up by crappy/lazy parents all over the internet.

If the kid can lip read "****ing *****" from the TV replay then he's already heard it somewhere before in real life. Most probably at home or in school, which are both environments which are far more influential on a child's development than watching cricket on TV.
So you're saying that all these players using abusive language, as well those viewers, including internet keyboard warriors, who see nothing wrong with using such abusive language on the field of play, all had crappy/lazy parents who used such language at home in front of their kids?

Well that goes a long way towards explaining why some don't see anything wrong with 'banter' containing abusive language. As you say, to use your words, it's their 'crappy/ lazy parents' fault.

If he hasn't heard it before, then he will ask you what "****ing *****" means, which is where you do your job as a parent.
Oh of course, of course you're right! A father's reply would be "oh, it's a just a form of congratulation. He's not saying anything wrong. He's saying well played to the batsman. " :facepalm:

So you're saying that all these players using abusive language, as well those viewers, including internet keyboard warriors, who see nothing wrong with using such abusive language on the field of play, all had crappy/lazy parents who used such language at home in front of their kids?

That's quite a leap you've made there. Please show your working to the class.

Well that goes a long way towards explaining why some don't see anything wrong with 'banter' containing abusive language. As you say, to use your words, it's their 'crappy/ lazy parents' fault.

Actually, I said nothing of the sort. You're not very good at this are you?

Oh of course, of course you're right! A father's reply would be "oh, it's a just a form of congratulation. He's not saying anything wrong. He's saying well played to the batsman. " :facepalm:

If that's what you think a parent's reply would be, no wonder you find the thought of someone swearing on TV to be such a terrifying prospect.

That's quite a leap you've made there. Please show your working to the class.

Actually, I said nothing of the sort. You're not very good at this are you?
Of course you didn't. I suggest you read the full exchange of the posts again, including what you posted, and it is quite obvious as to the conclusions that can be drawn from all that. "
If that's what you think a parent's reply would be, no wonder you find the thought of someone swearing on TV to be such a terrifying prospect.

Well since you're blaming the parents for their kids being able to lip read "****ing *****" from the TV replay since you're saying the kids probably also heard it home, you're basically saying the parents were using those profanities at home. In which case, what reply would you give to the child if they asked what "****ing *****" means?

Last edited:

Let me give you an example
There have recently been a spate of attacks on buses in England of a racial nature

Last week a teen was attacked by 5 boys in a racial attack on a tram as he was going home from Rochdale to Oldham

You could say the two are unrelated
But anyone who grew up with kids on the playground copying the klinsman dive knows kids do see sportsmen as role models

And whether or not any kid will be currently watching the test is beyond the point
Misbah's kids will be as will his family and they will definitely be affected by it

At the end of the day it is not the front line in Afghanistan, it is a gentle sport played by mainly the middle class in England and stokes definitely set a bad example

Of course you didn't. I suggest you read the full exchange of the posts again, including what you posted, and it is quite obvious as to the conclusions that can be drawn from all that. "

No. Show me where I said:

A) Anyone who isn't outraged at Stokes swearing had crappy parents

and

B) The players who swear had crappy parents.

Well since you're blaming the parents for their kids being able to lip read "****ing *****" from the TV replay since you're saying the kids probably also heard it home, you're basically saying the parents were using those profanities at home.

No, I said they will have heard it either at home or at school. Don't leave out bits and pieces of what I said just so you can continue to be unjustifiably outraged.

In which case, what reply would you give to the child if they asked what "****ing *****" means?

Is this the bit where I say "A question asked by someone who's obviously not a parent?"

Let me give you an example
There have recently been a spate of attacks on buses in England of a racial nature

Last week a teen was attacked by 5 boys in a racial attack on a tram as he was going home from Rochdale to Oldham

You could say the two are unrelated
But anyone who grew up with kids on the playground copying the klinsman dive knows kids do see sportsmen as role models

And whether or not any kid will be currently watching the test is beyond the point
Misbah's kids will be as will his family and they will definitely be affected by it

At the end of the day it is not the front line in Afghanistan, it is a gentle sport played by mainly the middle class in England and stokes definitely set a bad example

Right, what do you think inspires kids to take part in racially motivated attacks?

Being surrounded by family and friends who have racist attitudes, or because they saw Rooney telling someone to "eff off" on TV?

Was there an epidemic of biting that spread throughout school football teams all over the planet because impressionable kids saw their idol Suarez taking a chunk out of opposing defenders?

Right, what do you think inspires kids to take part in racially motivated attacks? Being surrounded by family and friends who have racist attitudes, or because they saw Rooney telling someone to "eff off" on TV? Was there an epidemic of biting that spread throughout school football teams all over the planet because impressionable kids saw their idol Suarez taking a chunk out of opposing defenders?

Of course there was
I got bit myself by a kid who said he was only copying Suarez

Kids must wear crop tops because their 50 year old Mum wears a sari rather than copying Britney Spears or Selene Gomez

Of course there was
I got bit myself by a kid who said he was only copying Suarez

One bit of anecdotal evidence does not an epidemic make. Some kids bite, they did it before Suarez and there will be kids who do it generations from now when nobody remembers that Suarez ever existed. I asked if there was an increase in kids doing it after the World Cup.

Kids must wear crop tops because their 50 year old Mum wears a sari rather than copying Britney Spears or Selene Gomez

So now sportsmen and celebrities are responsible for the inherent desire that children have to rebel?

One bit of anecdotal evidence does not an epidemic make. Some kids bite, they did it before Suarez and there will be kids who do it generations from now when nobody remembers that Suarez ever existed. I asked if there was an increase in kids doing it after the World Cup.

So now sportsmen and celebrities are responsible for the inherent desire that children have to rebel?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/luis-suarez-bite-child-seven-3778782

The link between children and celebrities has been documented in many articles and books including one about living dolls by Natasha Walter which will be an eye opener for you

If you dispute the evidence than you may want to get in touch with advertising companies who will stop pushing products at young girls using young pop stars

Getting back to sportsmen next you will tell me you have never seen anyone copy shahid afridis celebration while playing cricket or copying his haircut while wearing head and shoulders
The point is that swearing by sportsmen makes it that much more acceptable to your kids, my kids and Ben stokes kids

Surprised there was no fine for Stokes...You just can't swear openly in a Gentlemen's game.

:))) He looked like an idiot hahah

Can't bat, can't bowl how did he get into the team ? Maybe he is a witch and did some black magic to get into the team ? We should tie his arms, legs and throw him into a river. If his body floats he is a legit human being and if it doesn't we all know who he is :ghalib

If Wahab got fined for just clapping in Watson's face then surely Stokes deserves a hefty fine too but then it's again it's ICC, hypocrisy is in their blood.

I am pretty sure ICC will take action ..I have faith in ICC. Lets wait and see.

Just for the reference here is what the law says :

Players are expected to respect their opponents at all times, no matter what the match situation is.

Article 2.1.4 of the ICC Code of Conduct, which relates to "using language or a gesture that is obscene, offensive or insulting during an International Match".

Last edited:
I am pretty sure ICC will take action ..I have faith in ICC. Lets wait and see.
When?
Fines/reprimands imposed by match referees are usually announced shortly after the match has finished. The match referee and the ICC have completely ignored the incidence. End of.

Misbah should've done a Wahab Riaz style 'what? what? what???'

After Wahab was wounded up while batting in the World Cup quarter final vs Australia.

:))) He looked like an idiot hahah

Can't bat, can't bowl how did he get into the team ? Maybe he is a witch and did some black magic to get into the team ? We should tie his arms, legs and throw him into a river. If his body floats he is a legit human being and if it doesn't we all know who he is :ghalib

Don't you dare say that, he is next coming of Flintoff.

Heat of battle stuff. No issues with it. I've had far worse directed at me in gully cricket.

Poor stuff from stokes, first with the ball and even poorer with his verbal conduct. I have a feeling if misbah got into a confrontation with fire crotch, icc would have found a way to hand out a fine to misbah

But it's expected, gingers have no souls.

When?
Fines/reprimands imposed by match referees are usually announced shortly after the match has finished. The match referee and the ICC have completely ignored the incidence. End of.

You missed the point, ICC will take action against Misbah and Wahab.

Yeah it was done repeatedly, it became personal and he was specifically directing it at him.

Misbah should've done something. A verbal response like even 'go home kid' would've been enough. Nice and decent. :moyo

If Misbah would have done that then he would been termed arrogant and bad influence and slagged off by whole PP including you. :shehzad

Surprised there was no fine for Stokes...You just can't swear openly in a Gentlemen's game.

Please check the color of his skin and you will get your answer, now if you reverse the roles and Wahab had done the same thing on an English batsman a minimum of 1 match ban would have been imposed.

Stokes was given a dressing down in the first test match by Malik and i even created a thread on it. People like Malik know how to handle tools like him.

Waste of time sledging the likes of Misbah and Younis Khan.....they've seen and heard it all before.

I didn't see all of Stokes sledging but I didn't think there was anything over the top.

The funny thing was when Stokes was batting, Pakistani fielders were saying 'angry boy' and 'angry man'. :)

Waste of time sledging the likes of Misbah and Younis Khan.....they've seen and heard it all before.

I didn't see all of Stokes sledging but I didn't think there was anything over the top.

The funny thing was when Stokes was batting, Pakistani fielders were saying 'angry boy' and 'angry man'. :)

Must have been short lived cuz he didn't stick around for long :yk

:)) This is why im soo happy.

Deserves it

was red like a tomato

Pak and Misbah fans acting like Misbah hit the 4 sixes off the final over in a wt20 final vs Stokes... lol

It's part of the game, so chill.

Overrated player who is also a tool. Got owned again. So happy. Stay humble Stokes as you are a bang average player.

Stokes is too emotional and today it proved it worked against him

Pak and Misbah fans acting like Misbah hit the 4 sixes off the final over in a wt20 final vs Stokes... lol

And care to explain where someone says or allude to that? They are just happy he was put in his place, you are acting as if Stokes is your cousin or hero or both! Just chill

And care to explain where someone says or allude to that? They are just happy he was put in his place, you are acting as if Stokes is your cousin or hero or both! Just chill

I'm not getting worked up, I'm not English nor am I sad WI won, just pointing something out. I don't need to mention names, you can scroll up and search around and you'll see for yourself. In any case, he'll get over it. If Amir can recover from the phainty Hussey delivered years ago and still prove to be world class why can't Stokes. :liam

Stoke and Finn have always been ....

Reason why I enjoy them getting smashed around.

Not bothered about this though

lol at Misbah fans so happy because Stokes owned Misbah on a dead grave for multiple times.

Don't lose the context. Stokes had Misbah so many times. So many edges that went through first slips and some lbw shouts if I'm not wrong. He showed that reaction because of his frustration. Nothing wrong there. Some people really need to grow up.

it's a mickey mouse cricket for a reason. If you fail here it doesn't mean end of your career. Broad was smashed for 6 consecutive sixes by Yuvi in his early days but he went on to become one of best English seamers.

This lol..

These days many ppers here have been taking pleasure when someone else does the job that their team/players couldn't do:jf

I'm not getting worked up, I'm not English nor am I sad WI won, just pointing something out. I don't need to mention names, you can scroll up and search around and you'll see for yourself. In any case, he'll get over it. If Amir can recover from the phainty Hussey delivered years ago and still prove to be world class why can't Stokes. :liam

Do not know where you are from but have seen you behave like a true lota here switching from nation to nation:)

This lol..

These days many ppers here have been taking pleasure when someone else does the job that their team/players couldn't do:jf

Yeah it is weird to see. Especially when Pakistan is going to England in few month's time where we'll have to face Stokes in conditions that suit him.

What if he proves to be a matchwinner against us there? What then? All this big talk will backfire big time.

Part of the game??? :))) :)))

Any other English bowler in the current line up would have defended those 19 runs.

:))) :)))

What a poor and silly post...but then again going by the kind of threads you create, nothing surprising there anyway

Do not know where you are from but have seen you behave like a true lota here switching from nation to nation:)

Some of those true lotas will be proud on his swinging :)

What a poor and silly post...but then again going by the kind of threads you create, nothing surprising there anyway

As usual you are getting hyper for no reason in yet another discussion so no surprises there either.

Come on guys..what was the need for bumping this thread? Things are said in the heat of the moment..it is part of sport...did Misbah complain?

Stokes will be devastated today...no point in beating a guy that is already down.

Pakistan fans can be real petty

Stokes is a good Allrounder and will become a great

He's been brought back down to earth today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank God pakistan won the world t20 final 2016 vs England

All credit and well done to Misbah for his 4 sixes at the end vs stokes to help us win the final

Stokes has generally flopped in LOIs up till now. Definitely one of the top 3 or 5 ARs in test cricket, though.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

No need to F and blind just because things aren't going as you would like.

Same applies to Dale Steyn. Any phainty served to guys like these make for very enjoyable viewing.

Pakistan fans can be real petty

Stokes is a good Allrounder and will become a great

No, he wouldn't become a great all rounder. He is a better version of Afridi. He won't become no great.

A very good player who had a terrible last day..Ben Stokes you are still one of the best ARs in the world...

Back