[VIDEO] Initially, Pakistan media considered Ramiz Raja one of their own but now....

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/1pai64" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board Ramiz Raja briefly lost his cool during a press conference when a reporter asked him about player's coldness towards the media. When a reporter asked Raja the reason behind it, and in a sarcastic tone, mentioned that the PCB chairman has often used the media as a platform to highlight his work but hasn’t allowed the players to interact with the press, the former Pakistan captain hit back saying it is media that is responsible for the downfall for their strained relationship with the cricketers.

"You said a very nice thing that speaking to the media is like a time waste for you. But at the same time, it is the media that is sitting in front of you that will portray your point of view. This is not me saying that you have taken the support of media to highlight your work. Before you became PCB chairman, you had mentioned a two-way channel of communication between the players and media but we haven’t seen that either in your tenure. Players have been hidden from media in a manner that we are their biggest enemies…," the reporter said.

In reply, Raja was quick to counterpoint the reporter and brought up how the media treated former PCB chief executive Waseem Khan during one of his sessions. Raja further pointed out that the Pakistan media has opted to sensationalise stuff with extravagant headlines instead of reporting important matters, which is why players are 'afraid' of having interactions.

"Listen… no, your question ends right there. See, my whole point is that if you tell Mohammad Waseem that he brings a laptop and he has no understanding, how does that reflect? We cannot be judgmental. First, you scare away people and then you say that players don't speak to us. Players while interacting think 10 times and that is because a barrier has come between them and media. And it is you who has to win back the confidence. Why else would players not talk if in a healthy environment," Raja said.

"Think yourself. You feel we have urged the players to not talk to you. It is the players who have told us 'We don't want to talk'. Just look at the headlines you guys have published from my previous press conference. No one has spoken about the cricket foundation or any other important aspect. All that is mentioned is my position, if there is pressure or me, or if I speak to Imran Khan… these are the headlines you give. If that is how you think, people won't speak to you, obviously."

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...uestion-ends-right-there-101656575088419.html

Last edited:
Agree with Ramiz Raja here.

The subcontinent media coverage is often awful, and at worst dripping with pettiness and bitterness.

I don't blame the players for avoiding speaking to to certain media outlets and journos. Their words are often twisted and the good nature in which they trust the journos is diminished in the press of a keyboard.

Sports Media in Pakistani is like the Political Journalists, no lifafa, no friendliness

Our media journalists are incredibly pathetic.

I wish there were media outlets which would just focus on the Positive news coming out of Pakistan and Pakistan Cricket.

We have too much negativity in our society, culture, media, sports, everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The media just wants controversy. If nothing is there they'll make something up to make the headlines.

Whilst I agree that the Pakistani media unfairly sensationalises everything, I also don’t think it’s fair for Rameez to dictate how things are reported and to control the narrative. The journalists need to generate sales and the way to do that is to use the juiciest bits of the press conference for their headlines. Rameez’s position as chairman/his interaction with Imran will, as a headline, attract people to the news item. A headline about a cricket foundation will not.

If the journalists misreport what was said, i.e. what they report is untruthful or misleading, then by all means have a go at them. But if they report what was said accurately, then you can’t blame them for making an editorial choice about which bits of the press conference to focus on.

I am very curious. What is the influence of Pakistan media in shaping public opinion on sport?

Is it significant?

What is viewership/readership like? Ratings of sports programs?

Do Pakistanis actually read up/watch sports related shows at all or just actual matches?

I am talking of someone sitting in a small village in Punjab, KPK, Balochistan, Sind or Gilgit Baltistan?

To me, all sports relates stuff - journalists, PCB, Players, officials - is just a small ingrown community with little connection to general public. Just watching each other all the time. Not sure though and happy to be proven wrong.

If I can give my honest opinion without insulting anyone on here, it would be this.

By the very essence, the media today is run in a commercial sense. Success is determined by clicks / views/ sales etc. These are the metrics used by advertisers who primarily fund the media industry. As such, the job of the media becomes to report on things that generate as many views as possible as opposed to simply presenting the facts.

The players nowadays are media trained, and usually regurgitate the same answers. Those are not news worthy. So whenever they say the slightest comment which can be pulled out of context, it is jumped upon and used as a headline.

We, as the general public, essentially perpetuate the problem by gravitating towards 'clickbait' articles over well presented and factual ones.

The myth about Karachi players getting snubbed is so ridiculous. Don't know the victim mentality of the journos from that region. I do agree that Lahore the city gets preferential treatment as the headquarters of PCB and NHPC all are located there. Plus it gets to hold the most number of matches which is definitely preferential. But saying that players from Karachi don't get picked is just awful. Younis Khan and Afridi were the products of Karachi cricket. Mohammad Sami with a bowling average of 52 got to play atleast 20 more tests than he should have. There are no journos asking about are players from Rwp/Isb or Peshawar or Balochistan not getting picked.

The hilarious thing about that is when Ramiz asked which player from Karachi was not given a chance, the journalist started asking his partner who was the other player before stumbling towards saying Tabish Khan.

I don't want to sound biased but guys like Yahya Hussaini, Iqbal Baig, Nadeem, etc have played a big role in sowing the seeds of this victim mentality.

Back