[VIDEO Post #202] Graeme Swann retires from all cricket

Graeme Swann Retires

Great player, despite an early retirement

Can be proud of his contributions of taking eng to the top of world cricket for a period of time

It was always abt the ashes for him so I can understand his decision

Look fwd to seeing him more on the telly,
A natural entertainer

Haters can carry on playa hating

Great player, despite an early retirement

Can be proud of his contributions of taking eng to the top of world cricket for a period of time

It was always abt the ashes for him so I can understand his decision

Look fwd to seeing him more on the telly,
A natural entertainer

Haters can carry on playa hating

He'll do a lot with the BBC I reckon, like Tufnell has. Lots of personality.

Had a late start, had an early exit. Good enough to be in the 500 wicket club if he had a full spinners career.

Very surprising.

looks bad to retire mid series.

Anyway very good bowler.Will miss him

Yeah, how ever did Swann get 250 test wickets in just sixty matches with no mental strength? Test cricket must be a really easy game.

Kaneria took 260 odd wickets in 61 matches does that means 250 is a benchmark?

"I know it's the trendy thing to salute quitters these days. I prefer the Winston Churchill & Douglas Jardine school of British stoicism." - Piers Morgan.

Couldn't have spoken truer words.

Kaneria was a good bowler who had to deal with some pretty crappy circumstances. If he had been in the team 5 years earlier or 5 years later things could have different for him instead he ended up as a containing workhorse who had to bowl from one end all day long because we never had our first choice pace attack fit at the same time, a captain who had no clue how to handle leggies and a keeper that cost him 3 or 4 wickets a match.

Well, it's a landmark number I suppose. Not as good as 300. I thought the old Danish was very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Graeme Swann Retires

I am shocked yet pleased. Ajmal can now cement his place as the best spinner in the world.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ajmal was already the best spinner in the world.

Swann was the best spinner in the eyes of English fans.

Surprised at the timing of this.

If he was going to be dropped, so what. Better players than Swann have been dropped over the years. If he'd had enough then why announce it mid series when you are team is struggling and morale is already low.

Strange timing.

Odd timing from Swann, he's been at the end of shlackings before so I don't completely buy this quitting-for-prides-sake argument.

Always had this irrational dislike of him (like I do with Spain), but then that's a sign that I know he was a quality spinner.

Leaves England in an almighty quandary with regards to their spin options, i.e. almost non existent.

You could say wrong timing but he admit he's not good enough in the recent matches and this Ashes series and Ashes already gone so the decision is still not bad.

Odd timing from Swann, he's been at the end of shlackings before so I don't completely buy this quitting-for-prides-sake argument.

Always had this irrational dislike of him (like I do with Spain), but then that's a sign that I know he was a quality spinner.

Leaves England in an almighty quandary with regards to their spin options, i.e. almost non existent.

Why what's wrong with Monty? He would get into most other teams as a spinner.

He's had two elbow operations and he's 34. I would take his statement at face value. I would far rather he walk away at the end of a good year than fade away to nothing like Botham and Gooch.

Monty is only 30. He's won a few tests for us.

I wonder if the England Cricket Board would have accepted his selection in the Ashes touring squad if he had made it clear up front that he'll abandon ship and run away when the direction of the series became clear come Perth or Melbourne.

Why what's wrong with Monty? He would get into most other teams as a spinner.

Not much, but that's just it, it's what's wrong with Monty?, not Monty the world class spinner. He's reliable, generally tight, but would he worry you as much as Swann in his pomp?

He's had two elbow operations and he's 34. I would take his statement at face value. I would far rather he walk away at the end of a good year than fade away to nothing like Botham and Gooch.

I was on more about the sentiments of a few people on this thread. Don't get the sense that Swann is the type to throw his toys out of the pram. And his body just starting to break down, I agree is probably the reason why. But doing it like this, in a slightly ignominious manner would have always paved the way for some suspicion.

Monty is only 30. He's won a few tests for us.

Like I said above, there's nothing wrong with Monty. But will he win a game in unfriendly conditions? And who would be his backup? There's Kerrigan who's playing Div 1 cricket this season and? Bearing in mind Kerrigan doesn't play much List A/T20 cricket, do England stick with Tredwell in those formats or bring Monty back in? There is a T20 World Cup on the horizon as well, do England run with Briggs?

Three test matches and the entire team has fallen apart.

So soft, these marshmallows.

the quality of your posts are deteriorating and a rapid rate which is sad really.

A very good player announces retirement and all you're busy with are personal attacks? Very disappointing mate.

the quality of your posts are deteriorating and a rapid rate which is sad really.

A very good player announces retirement and all you're busy with are personal attacks? Very disappointing mate.

Not to worry, my opinion against England's players hasn't deteriorated one little bit - it's always been the same, as many other members here can attest and relate to as well.

Graeme Swann Retires from all cricket Retiring from all forms of cricket imme

Shocked!

The thing that set England apart from many other teams in Test cricket, a quality spinner, is gone! South Africa are indeed a better team but they, like England, didn't have all aspects of the game covered.

Anyways, Graeme Swann was a very good player and an entertaining batsman as well. I really enjoyed watching him play and read his interviews with keen interest knowing well that there will always be something to laugh about. All appreciate funny people, but I admire such ones a bit more than most people would. I loved his character! All the best to him with everything in life.

Whereas I am nowhere comparing the two players, but he always reminded me of Shane Warne a bit.

On that note, I just feel that Sky Sports have found another commentator.

Last edited:
Kaneria was a good bowler who had to deal with some pretty crappy circumstances. If he had been in the team 5 years earlier or 5 years later things could have different for him instead he ended up as a containing workhorse who had to bowl from one end all day long because we never had our first choice pace attack fit at the same time, a captain who had no clue how to handle leggies and a keeper that cost him 3 or 4 wickets a match.

kaneria is a fixer and his friend :kami behind the stumps is also a suspicious character.

they were both probably in it together costing pakistan countless amount of games. who can forget the sydney debacle.

Not much, but that's just it, it's what's wrong with Monty?, not Monty the world class spinner. He's reliable, generally tight, but would he worry you as much as Swann in his pomp?

Well, it's interesting that Monty had better figures than Swann in the recent tours of UAE and India.

Though he's not as clever as Swanny in terms of variations in bowling speed and revolutions, and and seems to lack a plan B if he doesn't take wickets.

Not to worry, my opinion against England's players hasn't deteriorated one little bit - it's always been the same, as many other members here can attest and relate to as well.

Envy.

Graeme Swann Retires from all cricket

Not right to abandon the team when it is down & out. He was a senior & should have been there until the end..then retire. Wrong decision.

Sad stuff. Swann demonstrated orthodox off-spin bowling in its full glory and was probably the greatest proponent of it over the past two decades.

Taking retirement is praise-worthy but doing so in the middle of a crucial tour is poor. A couple of retirements more and England would be sent back to the 90's era.

Wow some ridiculous comments in this thread questioning his mental strength etc.

Kudos to him retiring because he felt he could no longer contribute to the team rather than ending up like the many selfish players that drag their careers out for years too long embarrassing themselves.

Mid series may seem like bad timing but the series is lost and he performed badly. Now they can move on with finding his replacement immediately. At the end of the day its his career and his life so its his decision to make.

Very good test career for an off spinner.

Always gave the ball a good rip and never relied on the flexi-elbow stuff we see from most off spinners these days.

Lehmann paid a lovely tribute to Swann in his press conference today, shame a lot of other people lack Boof's intelligence and class.

Also some very nice comments from Nathan Lyon, who says he has always looked up to Swann.

Last edited:
I liked Swann even during his less savoury moments. He was an entertaining character and a very good and watchable bowler. He achieved quite a lot over his career and it's sad to see him go. So two class spinners left now: Ajmal and Herath.

Have just listened to his press conference I've changed my mind. He's pretty clear about his body struggling to bowl 30/40/50 overs a test match now so it's fair enough that he's calling it a day.

Good luck to him - hope he gets picked up in the IPL, Big Bash etc - he's a class player and hope we still get to see him play for a while longer.

He has had a chronic elbow injury for a number of years now, probably did quite well to amass such a good record over 60 Tests.

He did. He accepted that he had worn out his body and it was time to move on.

To be honest, it seems like an attention seeking move, more than anything.
Still have to admit that he's one of the best spinners of recent times, though.
Dearest apologies, didn't know about his deteriorating health.

A good career and a very major loss for England. Wasn't having a good tour at all but this surprised me.

All the best, swann.

To be honest, it seems like an attention seeking move, more than anything.

Seeking attention from whom, though?

This is a grown man who has had a lot of success, not a spoiled little boy.

Dearest apologies, didn't know about his deteriorating health.

No worries, but this speaks more generally of the way people think. They don't actually read the material provided, bother to do any research, or think about what they are about to post. They just see a headline or a couple of sentences and start spouting poop.

Watch this video before posting anything.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/62qGutvVyd0?list=UUz1D0n02BR3t51KuBOPmfTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously if England were up 3-0 and there was a chance of a whitewash and Swann had the same bowling figures, do you think that his elbow would have been a problem?

He's ran away pure and simple. English culture seems to have changed from the days where mens men like Bob Willis took the field, now they have whiners and moaners on the field ( who are rewarded for their whining and moaning).

Seriously if England were up 3-0 and there was a chance of a whitewash and Swann had the same bowling figures, do you think that his elbow would have been a problem?

He's ran away pure and simple. English culture seems to have changed from the days where mens men like Bob Willis took the field, now they have whiners and moaners on the field ( who are rewarded for their whining and moaning).

Um, at the same age as Swanny, Bob Willis retired three tests into a five-test series after being smashed around.

Bad example DV!

^i was going to post the same thing.if England was 3-0 up in the Ashes,will he retire in midseries citing the chronic elbow injury?NO.

Last edited:

Yes.

People around here just aren't used to somebody accepting responsibility for something, considering the team they support.

Last edited:

Good point. He would've in fact been using his elbow at full flow making some cheesy Youtube videos instead.

^i was going to post the same thing.if England was 3-0 up in the Ashes,will he retire in midseries citing the chronic elbow injury?NO.

Elbow is surely not the reason in the middle of a series. Of course if England were winning or at least competitive during the Ashes, Swanny retirement would have come only at the end of the tour, if at all it had to come.

Looks like England team will be going downhill and become that average team they have always been in the past.

Selfish move...he should have stuck with the team right until the end.

I respect Swan for the way he helped English team to win matches.and i don't think this is the way of accepting responsibility by chickening out in the middle of an ashes series.Well,good for all who believe in this version of story.

He had an elbow injury earlier in the year and he's been bowling poorly. He was right to retire, but perhaps would be in the top 10 of England's greatest ever bowlers.

Interesting day to retire on but considering he was ignored by england selectors for ten years, he's made the right decision for himself

Wish Swann all the best for his life post retirement.

Personally I would've liked to see him announce his departure after the series ended, irrespective of his being picked or not for the remaining part. Mid tour retirements take the focus of the team away from the cricket. Most guys in england camp would've been already upset and disturbed, and to top that now they must be thinking about swanny's retirement, probable reasons, and must also be missing him as he was not only a team mate, but a live wire in the dressing room.

A good servant of the English cricket, and a good spinner too. Cricket loses another character.

I personally find it a bit sad that people approach retirement threads like hyenas whereas the purpose should be to wish the retired player all the best and to pay tributes. But that's just me. People are allowed to approach things differently.

I haven't really gone through the thread, but given that the majority of our posters are Pakistanis and Indians, I know the exact reason why they would hold something against the guy, which I wouldn't quite disclose. I am not talking about all our members however as some might just be viewing things differently.

Yeah been some real nasty stuff aimed at him, we also have no idea whether he actually made the choice without any help, lots of rumours that he was told he was going to be dropped for boxing day if that is the case you can certainly understand him calling it a day half way through a tour.

Swann had an odd sense of humour and you could see why he would ruffle some feathers but he was a quality traditional offie which is so rare now days so even if you didn't like him you should respect his game.

Last edited:
Whatever be the story behind the retirement,i wish him best of luck for the future.I wanted him in England squad in next tour of India.that would have been another exciting match.but that hope is gone now..:(

Swann deserved better given his contribution to English cricket. But you don't always get the farewell you deserve, unfortunately.

I don't agree with the timing but most likely he was told that he won't be playing in the next 2 tests. That may be the reason to announce it right now. Swann has had 2 major operations on his elbow, the last one within the last 12 months.

Anyway, if he didn't want to continue then there is really no reason for him to not retire. Australia is graveyard for finger spinners and Swann had to often bowl at the Australian batsmen when they weren't under much pressure. But, I don't think that Eng losing matches or Swan being taken for cleaners by Aus is the reason for his retirement at all.

Instead of whining about the decision, we should talk about his great career and contributions.

Swann retires as one of England's greatest finger spinners. His classical bowling action was great to watch in current era. 255 wickets at just under 30 runs a piece. He helped Eng to win test series against some top oppositions. Couldn't have asked for more. He was a huge factor in Eng rising to number one rank in the test format.

Good bye Swann. We will miss you. Enjoy your retirement.

Last edited:
Do you think that this decision has anything to do with the recent twitter scandal?

Swanns absence is going to hurt England really badly. He s their best spinner in the last decade. His impact was tremendous and allowed the pacers to attack. Now his absence will totally neutralize the pace attack

Swanns absence is going to hurt England really badly. He s their best spinner in the last decade. His impact was tremendous and allowed the pacers to attack. Now his absence will totally neutralize the pace attack

I don't think so. Swann has been very poor in various recent series. Monty is the better spinner now.

He obviously thought xmas is coming so why not go home and get merry.

He was an o.k spinner who worked very hard to become a world class spinner. Good luck to him for the future.

The fascinating BBC documentary The Edge describes an England dressing room cracking up under partially self-inflicted psychological pressure. Trott coming down to breakfast having not had a wink of sleep, with his cap down over his eyes so the team would not see that he was weeping.

Andy Flower said that, given another opportunity would think more about the people than the players, if that makes sense.

Swann should not have been on that Ashes tour. He had lost feeling in two fingers of his spinning hand.

Flower was all about the results on the field and less about the welfare of the players on a holistic level.

He was a hard-nosed stoic and ex-player who had come from a genuinely problematic overseas society (as opposed to the UK with its perceived “first world problems”) and so he just didn’t understand that softer side of coaching people and holding their hand through psychological issues — such as KP’s depression and homesickness, Trott’s work-related stress and anxiety, and Prior’s anger management issues. Flower just wilfully stayed away from this stuff due to personal discomfort and left it all to Strauss, who as England captain was under enough pressure out on the field as it is.

The England lineup at the time was full of men who were in touch with their emotional sides, like KP, Trotty, Bell, Prior, Swann, Jimmy and Broad — and it’s no coincidence therefore that the backstage split was led by KP and Trott on one side, and Prior, Swann and Broad on the other — and these guys could have really done with some better support out there.

I have no doubt that a superior chief to Flower in terms of pure people management would have not overseen such a general downturn in the team’s mental health, as well as such a lethal schism in the dressing room which ended up prematurely destroying a number of very good careers — then again, one could say that without Flower’s ruthless, competitive Southern-African style then England would not have got to Number 1 in the world, become an almost invincible home side and (their greatest achievements) beaten Australia & India away from home. This is arguably the greatest success that an England side has ever had.

So when thinking about “the best approach” in terms of leading a professional sports team, this example is going to seriously divide opinion, and it’s a very difficult overarching question to conclusively answer.

Flower was all about the results on the field and less about the welfare of the players on a holistic level.

He was a hard-nosed stoic and ex-player who had come from a genuinely problematic overseas society (as opposed to the UK with its perceived “first world problems”) and so he just didn’t understand that softer side of coaching people and holding their hand through psychological issues — such as KP’s depression and homesickness, Trott’s work-related stress and anxiety, and Prior’s anger management issues. Flower just wilfully stayed away from this stuff due to personal discomfort and left it all to Strauss, who as England captain was under enough pressure out on the field as it is.

The England lineup at the time was full of men who were in touch with their emotional sides, like KP, Trotty, Bell, Prior, Swann, Jimmy and Broad — and it’s no coincidence therefore that the backstage split was led by KP and Trott on one side, and Prior, Swann and Broad on the other — and these guys could have really done with some better support out there.

I have no doubt that a superior chief to Flower in terms of pure people management would have not overseen such a general downturn in the team’s mental health, as well as such a lethal schism in the dressing room which ended up prematurely destroying a number of very good careers — then again, one could say that without Flower’s ruthless, competitive Southern-African style then England would not have got to Number 1 in the world, become an almost invincible home side and (their greatest achievements) beaten Australia & India away from home. This is arguably the greatest success that an England side has ever had.

So when thinking about “the best approach” in terms of leading a professional sports team, this example is going to seriously divide opinion, and it’s a very difficult overarching question to conclusively answer.

POTW material [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION].

Back