[VIDEO Post #202] Graeme Swann retires from all cricket

surprising but something more below the surface imo, there is clearly something really wrong with the england set up and its showing in the players behaviour.

england lost the ashes 5-0 before and im pretty sure swanny was there then, so despite winning a few ashes it cant be the disappointment of the loss alone.

cook to lose his captaincy soon. the drama is only just beginning. KP and prior will be the next two to go. you only have to see them to know there heart is not in it at all.

Bad from swanny.you don't leave your team like that when they are completely down.clearly,there is something more to it....

Bad from swanny.you don't leave your team like that when they are completely down.clearly,there is something more to it....

I think it was more a pride decision, he rather retire than be dropped from the playing 11

People are reading too much into this, I don't think Swann is the type to retire just because he's been (reportedly) dropped.

I think it's really a confidence thing, he just doesn't have confidence in himself anymore to perform for England, if you read his column more closely you'll pick up on it.

Last edited:
He has been dropped before too..

Not sure what is going on behind yet he scenes, but it's a big loss for cricket fans. He was an entertainer and brilliant bowler.

If it is about pride,then he is selfish.getting dropped is part and parcel of the game.even if he was low in confidence,you don't retire in the middle of a series.

Last edited:
Cricket is a dying sport outside of Asia, to England and Australia ashes is the only type of cricket that is followed and if your performance in Ashes is bad than you are a bad cricketer.

This guy is pathetic, you just gave your opponent more to laugh and cheer about.

Last edited:
He has clearly said it's about his elbow injury and no longer able to bowl long spells or match winning performances, no need for conspiracy theories

Sad way to end, getting flogged in the off spinners graveyard. One of the very best spinners England have had. If he doesn't feel he has 100% commitment anymore then its time to retire.

Johno will be remembered for single handily destroying many careers :))

Mitchell_Johnson-420x0.jpg

And he'd be enjoying ever minute of it.

I don't like retiring mid tour. It does damage the team.

Retiring mid series at home is fine because the team can select any domestic player.

So I'd imagine Swann was not in England's plans for the next two tests anyway.

Cricket is a dying sport outside of Asia, to England and Australia ashes is the only type of cricket that is followed and if your performance in Ashes is bad than you are a bad cricketer.

nonsense, the ashes is probably the #1 series for us but all big cricket counts. When assessing a player you look at how the do in India, against SA, in the Ashes etc.

Series vs strong teams (SA & India currently) are keenly followed, its just Ashes is the only one non-cricket fans/media pick up on.

Wow WTH is going on with Eng? The wheels have well and truly come off. Poor move by Swann should have waited until the Ashes was over.

He has clearly said it's about his elbow injury and no longer able to bowl long spells or match winning performances, no need for conspiracy theories

Yeah fair enough, you know when you can't quite contribute like you used to and he has been troubled by that elbow for years.

Monty will get his big shot at the position in Melbourne and Sydney, usually two of the friendlier tracks to bowl spin on in Oz. If he doesn't grab it then who next for England? I hear they have a few young leggies but they'll never pick them because of their obsession with bowling dry and control.

Not too big on these mid series retirements, but it is what it is.
The end of a good career.

England can now forget about winning a series in india again. Shocking news this, never knew poms are so mently fragile, its just one off series, move on.

Monty is quite good in test matches. He should be able to take his place. I think Swann doesn't feel confident at all, and he wasn't looking like the player he was. I hope KP doesn't follow Swann.

Graeme Swann Retires

Sad to see Swann end his career like this, a sudden retirement that too in the middle of a major series.

But lets put things in perspective. What is the point in carrying on something that you dont enjoy anymore and if it doesnt make you happy. If we had a choice must of us having sucky jobs would do the same.

Best of luck to Swann. Have an enjoyable retirement.

I am of to my sucky job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definately retired as the best test spinner in world cricket by some margin. What a pity he never got to atleast 300 wickets. I have no qualms in ranking him as the 3rd best spinner of the last 30 years after Murali and Warne.
Fantastic player, world cricket is at a poor state and will definately be missed.
Wish him all the best in his future endeavours!

What the hell!!??? Came as a rude shock on a Sunday morning! The best test spinner by a country mile.. Couldn't take the defeats against Australia? Not really mentally strong..

so shocking,one of the underrated greats of the game for sure

Arguably the most important bowler for England since Botham.

Wishing him a great life beyond cricket!

Three test matches and the entire team has fallen apart.

So soft, these marshmallows.

i am shocked. what is going on over here? i was hoping he would play for another 2-3 years

not good from Swann quitting in the middle of tour where is the ECB's so called professionalism and mgmt. somebody should have convinced him delay till the series end :danish

not good from Swann quitting in the middle of tour where is the ECB's so called professionalism and mgmt. somebody should have convinced him delay till the series end :danish

What professionalism and management? Andy Flower is akin to Saddam Hussein out there.

Swann knew he would get more battering from the Australian batsmen in the last two tests so he decided to retire now instead play them and get embarrassed further.
That over Swann bowled to Watson in the 2nd innings of the Australian innings in the 3rd test where he smashed him for three maximums and 22 of the over that was the nail in the coffin on his career because he had no answer to it. Such a weak mentality he should've tried fighting back in the next test.

Re: Graeme Swann Retires

Boy1.jpg

On a serious note, Good luck to him for his life post-retirement.

Sad way to end, getting flogged in the off spinners graveyard. One of the very best spinners England have had. If he doesn't feel he has 100% commitment anymore then its time to retire.

Sad to see Swann end his career like this, a sudden retirement that too in the middle of a major series.

But lets put things in perspective. What is the point in carrying on something that you dont enjoy anymore and if it doesnt make you happy. If we had a choice must of us having sucky jobs would do the same.

Best of luck to Swann. Have an enjoyable retirement.

I am of to my sucky job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am shocked and absolutely gutted

Definately retired as the best test spinner in world cricket by some margin. What a pity he never got to atleast 300 wickets. I have no qualms in ranking him as the 3rd best spinner of the last 30 years after Murali and Warne.
Fantastic player, world cricket is at a poor state and will definately be missed.
Wish him all the best in his future endeavours!

These are the posts that make sense.

Very sad, but we don't know the circumstances. Maybe it really was time.

it is very sad. I don't know why he couldn't have continued on until the 2015 world cup.

Shocking ,not the retirement but the midway part of it . This English team is falling apart .

Does anyone else also perceive a cultural difference in this thread, in the SC players carry on and on and on despite being past their best, whereas in England/Australia/SA once a player knows it is time for their body and mind to depart the limelight they are happy to do so very quickly. Kallis will be the next big retirement.

I find it funny how the third best spinner of all time can have an average close to 30.

Last edited:
Does anyone else also perceive a cultural difference in this thread, in the SC players carry on and on and on despite being past their best, whereas in England/Australia/SA once a player knows it is time for their body and mind to depart the limelight they are happy to do so very quickly. Kallis will be the next big retirement.

Quit lumping yourself with Australia and South Africa. Only your players are mental sponges who would run away from responsibility mid-series.

Swann's and his comrades' knighthoods from Elizabeth the second might have gotten to his head, again after picking up nothing more than a couple of test matches. His arrogance was always a guise for a lack of confidence. Underneath the surface he was as soft as anybody can get.

Really James, didn't you say in the Hussey retirement thread that he was retiring to protect his average and then you went on to say that you couldent understand why he retired.

Sorry James but you should be mentioning how a team man is running away half way through a series or he is scared that his average will go over 30 if he plays one more test against Australia.

Both of these from the Hussey retirement thread

I don't get how he is a brilliant team man for departing just before such a big year. Can somebody help me understand?

His average in India is 44 and in England, 30, so it's reasonable to say that his career average would have dropped during those tours

Last edited:

yes but there are exceptions too, eg Ponting, S Waugh.

It'll be a very sad day when Kallis retires. Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Akhtar, Flintoff, etc, almost all the guys who i grew up watching are gone.

I do think Swann had a couple of good years left in him. its just that Australia is a really really difficult place for him to perform. I am not sure if retirement was the best choice.

Swann was approaching an average of 30, I'm not saying he quit because of that (would have been stupid) but I have no doubt had he continued he probably would have ended his career with an average of 31-33.

He was past it and was lacking confidence after what the Aussie batsmen did to him, he had no answers for the Aussie onslaught.

Last edited:
Retirement is a personal decision and swann should neither be proud or ashamed of his decision.
But looking at it from a cricketing point of view,u just can't help but feel that the english are a bit soft as compared to the other teams.
For example look at zaheer,he was dropped last year when he was 33/34 and many people said it was the end of the road for him,but he worked on his fitness,took wickets in fc cricket,made a comeback to the indian team and got a 4-fer in his first outing.
He like swann had also gone through the mental scarring of a 0-4 whitewash in australia,but still came back fitter and hungrier!

Last edited:
Swann was approaching an average of 30, I'm not saying he quit because of that (would have been stupid) but I have no doubt had he continued he probably would have ended his career with an average of 31-33. He's past it and was lacking confidence after what the Aussie batsmen did to him, he had no answers for the Aussie onslaught.

Nasser Hussain has mentioned a few times on commentary that Swann keeps one eye on the scoreboard and that he is keen on stats.

There have been reports on Australian radio that Monty told some club cricketers that Swann had been dropped for Melbourne and he would be playing in Melbourne the day before Swann retired.

There have been reports on Australian radio that Monty told some club cricketers that Swann had been dropped for Melbourne and he would be playing in Melbourne the day before Swann retired.

This was my first thought.

Leaving half way through an overseas tour is not a team thing to do. It's quite apparent to me that the English selectors made the call and gave Swann the opportunity to retire before his career was ended by getting dropped.

Hope to see him play in IPL, tactical move by Swann. Now he will be bought due to no longer availability concerns.

He was a decent cricketer.

Shocking and sad decision.
Nevertheless a quality bowler that made the English attack a lot more threatening.

Should have played for 2-3 years more.

Doesn't anybody here see a glaring similarity in the situation swann finds himself today and the situation zaheer was in last year at the same time?

I don't think Swann should be compared with greats of the game like Warne, murali, saqi, kumble, etc. He was good but not as good as the best spinners in the history of the game.

Swann was a good test bowler but hardly a great.
That's the power of the media mate...

How else would a bowler like Anderson be mentioned in same breath as Steyn :))

Anderson is nothing more than an English version of Zaheer Khan. A good bowler and an English great but that's all.

Last edited:
What, and won against Sri Lanka and India and the West Indies on doctored home pitches? No knighthoods in the British armoury available for feats like that!

Swann was one of the main reasons England won the previous Ashes.

Swann was one of the main reasons England won the previous Ashes.

Correct. Good servant of English cricket which is why he has been allowed to retire now that the call was made to end his career.

Nothing in it for England for Swann to play on.

Retiring mid way through an overseas tour would be the wrong thing to do by the team which is why I think he got the tap on the shoulder.

Terrible for England. Even if Swanny was underperforming these days, he was a great spinner, one of the best these days.

The Ashes mean far too much to these guys. And Swann should have waited at least till the end of thos series. I wonder how Jimmy's going to fare without him?

Correct. Good servant of English cricket which is why he has been allowed to retire now that the call was made to end his career.

Nothing in it for England for Swann to play on.

Retiring mid way through an overseas tour would be the wrong thing to do by the team which is why I think he got the tap on the shoulder.

I agree.

Wonder if any of the others will follow suit.

Big blow for England. He was a quality bowler. Who is gonna be England's main frontline spinner now? Surely not Panesar. He is nearly as bad as Robbie and Tahir.

Please I don't want England's spin department to turn into South Africa (i.e ABSOLUTE RUBBISH)

surprising but something more below the surface imo, there is clearly something really wrong with the england set up and its showing in the players behaviour.

england lost the ashes 5-0 before and im pretty sure swanny was there then, so despite winning a few ashes it cant be the disappointment of the loss alone.

cook to lose his captaincy soon. the drama is only just beginning. KP and prior will be the next two to go. you only have to see them to know there heart is not in it at all.
I had the EXACT same feeling. There's far more to it.

Anyway, Good Luck Swanny.

I agree.

Wonder if any of the others will follow suit.

Anderson will be given some more leeway but the selectors would be thinking it, especially if Onions starts the county season well.

You'll probably keep on KP for the world cup.

Prior will also get dropped but at 31 he'd think he can force his way back in and that he still has a lot to offer.

Trott will never get selected again.

Anderson will be given some more leeway but the selectors would be thinking it, especially if Onions starts the county season well.

You'll probably keep on KP for the world cup.

Prior will also get dropped but at 31 he'd think he can force his way back in and that he still has a lot to offer.

Trott will never get selected again.

It's a transitional period now. This summer Sri Lanka and India at home will be the ideal test for a new team, facing some really experienced cricketers and perhaps in home conditions being able to win.

It's a transitional period now. This summer Sri Lanka and India at home will be the ideal test for a new team, facing some really experienced cricketers and perhaps in home conditions being able to win.

Have the 90s begun again?

No mentions of Anderson at all?

He's closer to retirement than Prior, KP and Trott..

Eng's home summer XI

Compton Cook Root Bell Taylor Bairstow (wk) Stokes Broad Anderson Monty Finn

Blimey!

I think he went a year or two too early, but if he thinks he can't do a job any more in tests then I admire his honesty. Better to make a clean break than hang on in the hope of getting picked for one more match.

He has made a massive contribution to English cricket - his wicket-taking; his surety at slip; his late-order hitting, and his ability to lift the dressing room. Three Ashes wins, the win in India, the T20 championship win, the brief stay at test #1.

It seems very likely that he has a media career lined up.

Thanks Swanny for some marvellous memories!

Cowards - When the going gets tough the likes of Trott aand Swanny do a runner. It's very poor doing it mid series the Aussies will have another fun few weeks.

Cowards - When the going gets tough the likes of Trott aand Swanny do a runner. It's very poor doing it mid series the Aussies will have another fun few weeks.

Bringing Trott into this is extremely classless.

Thought he would play on till the 15 ashes where he would be a lot tougher to face.

Still he had a great career and if his heart isn't in it anymore he has done the right thing, people will say he should have played on for the dead rubbers but if he knows he is done at this level then surely playing on is more selfish than calling it quits now?

I guess he was dropped and he could not take it. Johnson has not just crushed the English team but has probably ended a few careers as well. England almost fell like India did two years ago, abrupt and painful. The team seems to be in transition phase sooner than it was expected.

I guess he was dropped and he could not take it.

Unlikely as he has been dropped by ENG before.

Start thinking of him as a grown man with a family and career goals, instead of a sulky little boy.

This way he will get a proper Christmas with his family for the first time in six years, and will have time to set up his media career.

Absolutely shocking.

Leaves his team in an awkward position for the rest of the series now.

So many retirements of these quality players makes the 'minnows' job all the more easier hehehe...times are indeed changing all the time.

Back