[VIDEO] Shane Bond's breathtaking bowling spell vs Australia at the 2003 World Cup - 6-23

shaz619

ODI Star
Runs
Post of the Week
[MENTION=132954]Aman[/MENTION] [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] [MENTION=138379]#GreenRoars[/MENTION]

It was actually uploaded by PakPassion's Youtube Channel :)

Bond is very similar to Sami. lethal pace, number of wickets but they all go to waste.

Nothing like Sami bro where did you get that from lmao [MENTION=136193]Adil_94[/MENTION] Eugene is comparing Shane Bond to Sami :))

Bond actually had a brain, incredible pace and control over swing, could seam the ball to. His record speaks for itself and he was set to be an ATG if it weren't for his injuries unfortunately. Bond individually as a package was even better then Steyn

Nothing like Sami bro where did you get that from lmao [MENTION=136193]Adil_94[/MENTION] Eugene is comparing Shane Bond to Sami :))

Bond actually had a brain, incredible pace and control over swing, could seam the ball to. His record speaks for itself and he was set to be an ATG if it weren't for his injuries unfortunately. Bond individually as a package was even better then Steyn

not comparing, simply stating both bowlers couldn't get the job done because of the other 10 playing like total hacks on their day

Supreme bowler

Pace

Swing

Wicket taker

Striker

High impact sportsman

Superb behaviour and attitude

Sublime character

One of the most skilled and lethal fast bowler of the era after 2000

One of the best right arm fast bowlers to look at

Express beauty.

Would love to see him and yousuf in MCL. He would still bowl 87+mph at 40.

What can you expect from the mind that said HHH made Austin n Rock stars. Lmao Eugene being Eugene.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Supreme bowler

Pace

Swing

Wicket taker

Striker

High impact sportsman

Sublime character

Express beauty.

Beautiful Post

87000-Antonio-Banderas-OH-YEAH-gif-c-5cCi.gif

What can you expect from the mind that said HHH made Austin n Rock stars. Lmao Eugene being Eugene.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

:))) Some of the stuff he comes out with I wonder if he actually believes in what he says

Brett Lee's spell that day was very good too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b96BQBZicN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[MENTION=3474]TalhaSyed[/MENTION] It would be so awesome if you made a video tribute of Shane Bond in action with the "eye of the tiger" theme in the background

Brett Lee's spell that day was very good too.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b96BQBZicN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep, I posted the scorecard in this thread :)) After that performance you'd have thought the kiwis would just about get over the line but they were up against one of the greatest bowling attacks in history

There are certain players that just make you fall in love with the game, Shoaib Akhtar got me into cricket and Shane Bond alongside Akhtar maintained my interest, both were so great to watch from their run-up to the point where they pitched the ball. Absolute superstars and we were unfortunate to lose both to injuries.

The best fast bowler to make debut after 2000. Period. Full-Stop.

I have seen this spell multiple times and some others as well. What a bowler this guy was.

"not comparing"

lmao :irfan:irfan:irfan

And Bond did get the job done, he doesn't have a bowling average of 50 like Sami.

I didn't compare the stats. I only compared the success both had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are certain players that just make you fall in love with the game, Shoaib Akhtar got me into cricket and Shane Bond alongside Akhtar maintained my interest, both were so great to watch from their run-up to the point where they pitched the ball. Absolute superstars and we were unfortunate to lose both to injuries.

What happened to Brett Lee. He was miles better than Bond

What happened to Brett Lee. He was miles better than Bond

He managed to have a career which was a lot more successful, was he better individually? no, you have to be a nimrod to think that. that.

:facepalm:

You're still conveying the same point that both were at the same level

I never said that. I said both have gotten similar success in cricket. Which means both have failed regardless of their capabilities to do a lot better

Terrific bowler, but better at limited overs than Test cricket.

Bond was basically an express bowler who swung the ball into right-handers.

That's great in ODIs where there is no slip cordon. But Dale Steyn was always going to have a better Test career because he could swing it away from right-handers towards the slip cordon.

Always knew how to stick it to the Aussies when the Aussies were basically dominating all over the world. Not a few could say that having played in that era.

Bond just proved that you cant have a long career with a counter-rotating bowling action.
Brett lee fixed his issue by becoming purely front on by adding the sling-shot/tent pegs -techniques used by most bowlers coming from institutionalized cricket systems.

when used effectively, this method allows a bowler to bowl fast by just using good mechanics, with the momentum generated through the run up adding to the intensity.

However, Bond also became front-on after a back injury, but he used contraction to get his pace and in doing so, would lose his shape at the crease, thereby bringing up bad muscle memory.
He should have made his action more methodical, but his failure to do so led to an early end to his career

Cummins suffered from a similar issue. Dont know if he has improved on it as he probably bowls 10 balls a year and then gets injured.

Terrific bowler, but better at limited overs than Test cricket.

Bond was basically an express bowler who swung the ball into right-handers.

That's great in ODIs where there is no slip cordon. But Dale Steyn was always going to have a better Test career because he could swing it away from right-handers towards the slip cordon.

Was excellent at tests also when healthy.

3rd best strike rate of all time for test bowlers and more importantly NZ only lost 2 tests of the 18 he played in.

What a time that was.

Bond. Akhtar. Lee. Mcgrath. Flintoff. Pollock.

Add in fading Waqar, Wasim, and Vaas.

WOW.

[MENTION=3474]TalhaSyed[/MENTION] It would be so awesome if you made a video tribute of Shane Bond in action with the "eye of the tiger" theme in the background

Inshallah will see what I can do ;)

Quality bowler buts gets overrated.

He was never going to last with that action and unnecessary muscle mass. By the time he leaned out and became more front on a la Milne, his body(particularly his back) had deteriorated too much to recover from.

[MENTION=131138]Space Cat[/MENTION] posted to in another thread, Bond placed blame for his fragile body on his inactivity in his younger days. A few years of his international career were also wiped out by the ICL, which he signed up to before the league was labelled a rebel league.

Bond just proved that you cant have a long career with a counter-rotating bowling action.
Brett lee fixed his issue by becoming purely front on by adding the sling-shot/tent pegs -techniques used by most bowlers coming from institutionalized cricket systems.

when used effectively, this method allows a bowler to bowl fast by just using good mechanics, with the momentum generated through the run up adding to the intensity.

However, Bond also became front-on after a back injury, but he used contraction to get his pace and in doing so, would lose his shape at the crease, thereby bringing up bad muscle memory.
He should have made his action more methodical, but his failure to do so led to an early end to his career

Cummins suffered from a similar issue. Dont know if he has improved on it as he probably bowls 10 balls a year and then gets injured.

Brett Lee imo also had the best physique I've ever seen for a fast bowler who bowled consistently 90mph+

Brett Lee imo also had the best physique I've ever seen for a fast bowler who bowled consistently 90mph+
It is not just the physique.
What about someone like anwar ali who looks like a specimen in this regard?

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

All mechanics aside Bond was also a fierce competitor who would push his body too hard for the win.

Check out this last test vs Pakistan. Umar akmal had us on the back foot and bond bowled his heart out to get the victory for nz resulting in a side strain and his retirement from tests

It is not just the physique.
What about someone like anwar ali who looks like a specimen in this regard?

Obviously mechanics and technique are huge factors but physique is also vital for fast bowlers who consistently bowl very quick

All mechanics aside Bond was also a fierce competitor who would push his body too hard for the win.

Check out this last test vs Pakistan. Umar akmal had us on the back foot and bond bowled his heart out to get the victory for nz resulting in a side strain and his retirement from tests

Wish he had been managed better and he or the coaches developed a better understanding of what is required to ensure a healthy Bond who wouldn't be prone to injury.

I can't decide between Shane Bond & Shoaib Akhtar.

Both the same age..both had short careers due to injuries...both were devastating at their best.

Both the same age..both had short careers due to injuries...both were devastating at their best.
Bond was a great fast bowler but shoaib was a freak of nature.
Nobody could be as destructive as he was in 2002.
The only rival in that regard is waqar of 1990-1993/4

Shoaib is an easy pick when it comes to these two.

He couldve been one of the greatest fast bowlers ever. So great to watch.

I remember he made Moyo Inzy p** in their pants. Such was the fear our batsmen had of fast bowling. Brett Lee was another such case. We used to defend h for 10 overs. Did not have the guts to take any of them on.

I remember he made Moyo Inzy p** in their pants. Such was the fear our batsmen had of fast bowling. Brett Lee was another such case. We used to defend h for 10 overs. Did not have the guts to take any of them on.

Although i doubt your claims but which Pakistani captain do you think would have not soaked his pants against such bowlers?

Was never gonna last with that action of his. I remember him bowling upto 153 kph in 2002 and during the WC. We was a tad slower than Lee and Akhtar but could get late inswing with the new ball which made him much more destructive. Sadly, he never had the support that Lee had and the rest of the NZ bowling attack were mediocre.

And no there is no comparison with Steyn. The bloke is one of the top 3 quicks of all time in Tests.

Although i doubt your claims but which Pakistani captain do you think would have not soaked his pants against such bowlers?

Pakistani batsmen good or bad have a huge history of struggling against pace bowlers. And not just this era, it has been a characteristic feature since the early 2000s.

At one end you have Indian batsmen taking apart the likes of Akhtar and Lee. And at the other end I have yet to see a fast (world-class) bowler that didnot make our lineup struggle to hit them.

Andre Nel, Makhaya Ntini were not express pace but they got joy out of our batting. Specially in ODI's. Again in the Test Matches you can block them out, but in ODI's you have to score runs and that is where our batsmen never had the guts to take them on.

In fact the only pace bowler we could hit was Fidel Edwards and Tino Best. But they are hardly worldclass.

What a bowler, best post-millenium pacer for me. Unfortunately his action wasn't sustainable.

Loved the way he took the attack to Australia when they were at their absolute best. The way he maintained his bowling level in spite of all the injuries was remarkable.

What a bowler, best post-millenium pacer for me. Unfortunately his action wasn't sustainable.

Loved the way he took the attack to Australia when they were at their absolute best. The way he maintained his bowling level in spite of all the injuries was remarkable.

You rate him more then Akhtar as well?

Bond was a great fast bowler but shoaib was a freak of nature.
Nobody could be as destructive as he was in 2002.
The only rival in that regard is waqar of 1990-1993/4

Totally agree. Also, he'd have won the World Cup for us had Wasim bowled first in 1999 final :facepalm:

Totally agree. Also, he'd have won the World Cup for us had Wasim bowled first in 1999 final :facepalm:
Ufffff! 1999 world cup, kia yaad dila diya

That run up, action and the kind of pace he generated, together with the swagger

Stuff of dreams that...
absolute box office!!!

My life changed when I saw him and saeed anwar play

Ufffff! 1999 world cup, kia yaad dila diya

That run up, action and the kind of pace he generated, together with the swagger

Stuff of dreams that...
absolute box office!!!

My life changed when I saw him and saeed anwar play

He made me fall in love with the game in that World Cup and I became a huge fan of Pak Cricket and Shoaib Akhtar in particular, it was such a beautiful summer; my relatives attended the games in England and I didn't but you could feel the magic in the atmosphere in 1999. Even the neutrals were in absolute awe; what a superstar Akhtar was, wish we had won the cup in 1999 because despite all that has happened in his career at least we wouldn't be able to take that away from him but it wasn't to be

Supreme bowler

Pace

Swing

Wicket taker

Striker

High impact sportsman

Sublime character

Express beauty.

Don't forget that name. Bond. Shane Bond.

Would have been one of cricket's biggest superstars for sure. What a player! I still remember his reaction when Amir hit him for a four during his innings of 72 against the Kiwis.

He made me fall in love with the game in that World Cup and I became a huge fan of Pak Cricket and Shoaib Akhtar in particular, it was such a beautiful summer; my relatives attended the games in England and I didn't but you could feel the magic in the atmosphere in 1999. Even the neutrals were in absolute awe; what a superstar Akhtar was, wish we had won the cup in 1999 because despite all that has happened in his career at least we wouldn't be able to take that away from him but it wasn't to be

In the late 90's Akthar represented everything about the pakistani youth, the anger, the rebelliousness, the will to go out and stick it to the westerners. Everything was packaged into Akthar and his weapon was the ball.

The captains he played under didn't utilise him well or he would have been remembered even greatly.

Bond was one of those modern era bowlers who was probably the most skilled bowler with wonderful ability.He was one of the greatest bowler of his era potentially who ended up having a very short career due to his injuries.

Yes. If I rate him, Akhtar and Lee out of 100:

Bond 93

Akhtar 90

Lee 85

For sake of comparison, I'd give Steyn 92.

Akhtar is my personal favourite but won't argue with your ratings, there are actually posters who are mentioning Sami in the same sentence as Bond :facepalm: what an insult

In the late 90's Akthar represented everything about the pakistani youth, the anger, the rebelliousness, the will to go out and stick it to the westerners. Everything was packaged into Akthar and his weapon was the ball.

The captains he played under didn't utilise him well or he would have been remembered even greatly.

Akhtar epitomised Pakistan Cricket

What was technically wrong with his action? I could never understand why he was always injured. I remember in ODIs he was bowling in 145 Km constantly. With that late inswing off his.

What was technically wrong with his action? I could never understand why he was always injured. I remember in ODIs he was bowling in 145 Km constantly. With that late inswing off his.

It put tremendous stress on his back. Especially his action from 2001-2003.

A top bowler to watch. The speed and swing made him lethal anywhere.

Shame it was such a short career.

Could have been the best bowler ever and one of the most iconic of cricketers. Great skill, charisma, attitude and name. Also played for a likable team.

One of crickets greats tragedy was this guy consistently getting injured and the cricketing world missing out on him. Brilliant bowler and his record vs Australia was immense in odis.

Indeed, one of the biggest tragedies in history of cricket. What a bowler.

He could have changed the complexion of NZ cricket had his body allowed him to play around 100 Tests and 200+ ODIs.

Certainly could have made NZ a bigger force and may have inspired a generation of fast bowlers in New Zealand.

My takeaway from this match was that Andy Bichel, Michael Bevan and Andrew Symonds won Australia that WC with some ridiculous performances by the 1st 2 against England and NZ and by Symonds against Pakistan and SL in the final.

My takeaway from this match was that Andy Bichel, Michael Bevan and Andrew Symonds won Australia that WC with some ridiculous performances by the 1st 2 against England and NZ and by Symonds against Pakistan and SL in the final.

India were in the final :srt

Symonds and Bevan didn't score a run vs us

Him and Hadlee opening the bowling in an all time NZ XI will be a nightmare for the opposition team.

Growing up - watching Bond, in my eyes personally one of the best bowlers in the last 20 Years. Injury cut him short to what would have been an amazing career.

Bond is one of my favourite bowlers perhaps after the likes of Waqar and Wasim. He had all the skills - pace, swing, bounce, mean slower ball, reverse swing. He could do it all. Unfortunate that he too was injury prone. Had the potential to be one the best ever. Just see his strike rate. Wow.

The legend is in the commentary booth right now for the NZ v Pak game :)

Back