[VIDEO] "Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief": Saj on the selection of the Pakistan T20I squad

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, you have to shake your head in disbelief opines Saj as he reviews the Pakistan squad announced for the five-match T20I series against the Kiwis.

He discussed various points, including:

1. Review of the squads: Saj examined the composition and selection of the announced squads for both Pakistan and New Zealand for the upcoming five-match T20I series.
  2. Babar's Reappointment as T20I Captain: Reviewed Babar Azam's reappointment as the white-ball captain and discussed the situation between Babar Azam and Shaheen Shah Afridi.
  3. Return of Amir & Imad: Highlighted the return of Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim to the Pakistan squad, suggesting a significant comeback for these experienced players in the T20I series against New Zealand.
  4. Selection of Various Players: Discussed the selection of various players, indicating potential concerns or controversies surrounding the squad composition.
  5. Atmosphere in the Pakistan Dressing Room: There is a sense of tension or uncertainty within the Pakistan dressing room, which may be related to the squad selection, team dynamics, or other internal issues.
  6. Appointment of New Coaching Staff: There has been a recent appointment of a new coaching staff for the Pakistan cricket team, indicating a shift in the team's management and strategies.

Watch Saj's usual hard-hitting analysis at:

Last edited by a moderator:
There were a few obvious selections based on PSL performances but some one them missed out that seems senseless. Like Mohammad Ali, who was one of the top bowlers throughout the whole PSL but still missed the boat because of probably Zaman or Amir Who knows? Then we have Haris who was once in the plans of PCB but then he was unnecessarily rested for a series earlier and now because of his poor run of form in PSL, he missed out too but his replacement seems to make no sense like Haseebullah.

But obviously, this is PCB and as Saj said, you have to shake your head in disbelief when it is the PCB at the other end taking awful decisions.

A poor selection indeed, as ignored top class performers from the domestic circuit.

Shaheen wasn't great in his short stint as T20I skipper, but his treatment has been disgraceful.

To bring him in as skipper and then to discard him so quickly is nothing short of terrible and really poor treatment of a very good cricketer.

Yeah we have left some world class players behind. Bar a couple of changes this is the best available players.

The quality of players who got selected and who got left out are mostly similar which is bang on average or just above average, nothing you could do much when you don’t have quality players in your domestic setup.

But yea Babar reappointment as a captain is beyond pathetic after we all know how timid and pathetic he is when it comes to leading and being a tactician.

Selection of Iftikhar after repeated failures baffles me a lot. This guy should have been discarded after his legendary 32(31) in 2022 Asia cup final and 0(6) in 2022 T20 WC final but unfortunately he keeps getting chances without performance in internationals. He has played 54 T20I and hardly won a game

U
Selection of Iftikhar after repeated failures baffles me a lot. This guy should have been discarded after his legendary 32(31) in 2022 Asia cup final and 0(6) in 2022 T20 WC final but unfortunately he keeps getting chances without performance in internationals. He has played 54 T20I and hardly won a game
Unfortunately, the replacements are even worse. WHo else but him? Khusdil? Asif?

At some point and in some place, the rift between Babar and Shaheen will be openly exposed, and that will be another downfall of Pakistan cricket.

Fans will have the 'ump seeing their lovlies not playing. I don't care once the show starts I'll support anyone who puts on the Hilaali!:pakflag2

This squad IMO is the best possible squad that can come up in this situation. Amir and Imad selection is debatable based on the fact that they specially came out of retirement on repeated requests of PCB and they might also be playing the upcoming world cup. If they manage to perform well and win some games for the team, I will take both of them in the team happily.

This squad IMO is the best possible squad that can come up in this situation. Amir and Imad selection is debatable based on the fact that they specially came out of retirement on repeated requests of PCB and they might also be playing the upcoming world cup. If they manage to perform well and win some games for the team, I will take both of them in the team happily.
Not really no, 80% yes, but their some selections which shpuld have happened.

Ali deserved a place in the squad based of performances alone. He doesn't deserve reserve spot.

Azam I'd replace for tayyab. Idkw tayyab is overlooked, he had an avg of 42 and a sr of 151 this psl and he got dropped last time without even getting a single game to play, I cam vouch with 100% certainty that tayyab is a superior middle to lower order batsmen then azam. (Yes ik tayyab wasn't in the kakul camp but still)

Also ik azam is a keeper but we already have usman khan in the squad. We don't need a 3rd keeper, keep azam in reserves if both keepers get injured which I doubt they will, Theirs higher chances of azam getting injured then these 2 lol.

The rest of the squad is the best possible I agree.

Not really no, 80% yes, but their some selections which shpuld have happened.

Ali deserved a place in the squad based of performances alone. He doesn't deserve reserve spot.

Azam I'd replace for tayyab. Idkw tayyab is overlooked, he had an avg of 42 and a sr of 151 this psl and he got dropped last time without even getting a single game to play, I cam vouch with 100% certainty that tayyab is a superior middle to lower order batsmen then azam. (Yes ik tayyab wasn't in the kakul camp but still)

Also ik azam is a keeper but we already have usman khan in the squad. We don't need a 3rd keeper, keep azam in reserves if both keepers get injured which I doubt they will, Theirs higher chances of azam getting injured then these 2 lol.

The rest of the squad is the best possible I agree.
Yeah you are right here that ali deserves a spot and also the fact that tayyab was dropped unfairly without getting a single game. He is a better middle order batter than azam 100%.

I only have issue with azam being selected and Ali being in reserve. But otherwise the squad that was selected this time was based of merit.

Good decison considering 2023 was a dosti yaari squad and not on merit at all.

also ali should have been in Zaman's place. Inlike amir but if we are being fair

tayyab > Azam

(Tayyab had a higher avg, and his sr isnt too far off, its 151 with azam being 171 bit that higher avg is worth it, plus hes fitter, better runner and better fielder and we dont need a 3rd keeper)

ali > Zaman Khan (more wickets and vetter eco, Zaman's eco was 10 lol)
Yeah you are right here that ali deserves a spot and also the fact that tayyab was dropped unfairly without getting a single game. He is a better middle order batter than azam 100%.

Shaheen wasn't great in his short stint as T20I skipper, but his treatment has been disgraceful.

To bring him in as skipper and then to discard him so quickly is nothing short of terrible and really poor treatment of a very good cricketer.
TBH, the mistake was when they first appointed him without much thought. It became clear Shaheen was out of his depth and prolonging his tenure was only going to bring matters to a head.

But yes, embarrassing behaviour from PCB, and the football chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' would be apt here.

TBH, the mistake was when they first appointed him without much thought. It became clear Shaheen was out of his depth and prolonging his tenure was only going to bring matters to a head.

But yes, embarrassing behaviour from PCB, and the football chants of 'you don't know what you're doing' would be apt here.
Agree.

If you've appointed him, give him a proper chance, rather than bringing the previous skipper after just one series.

It doesn't matter whether Shaheen was out of his depth or not, Babar has equally shown to be just as much out of his depth if not more. On merit Babar had 5 years as captain with multiple ICC tournament failures and failures at home in test matches, he deserved to be booted out as captain. Shaheen even if he was out of his depth deserved a run till the T-20 WC before the decision to have him removed was made.

The way the PCB went about removing Shaheen where no one in the PCB hierarchy even spoke to him, took him in confidence, the sleeky, corrupt, dishonest manner in which Babar accepted the captaincy again and the PCB tough talk and instructions to Shaheen to shut up and accept their decision or be booted out of the team has only sown the seeds of internal strife which will show up and manifest down the road.

Still trying to understand what criteria PCB set for Azam Khan to get selected.

After such a poor run in Kakul he should have been banned from playing domestic cricket as well.

I don't get the rotation policy.

It's like some players are never rotated or rested when they should be.

Still trying to understand what criteria PCB set for Azam Khan to get selected.

After such a poor run in Kakul he should have been banned from playing domestic cricket as well.
We are marketing it as being cute. This wont end his many upcoming comebacks. He will score against Zimbabwe or a weak team st home and his selection will keep getting justified. Then we will lament on how Haris was not given chance and his confidence will be ruined. Our dishonest selectors are like our fans they will justify him being dropped because PSL and fail to see his upside, he scored on the big stage as a 21 yr old against the best bowlers but the Azam Khan and Bobsy King fans will justify their respecting batting and selfish approach as the players themselves say "aap meri avrrage dekhain, performance aappke saamne hai"

The rotation policy is almost non-existent. Babar said he will try different combos but 3 games are gone and so far there has been no rotation. SHaheen is stiff playing all games while amir was rested after just 1 game LOL. Imad is not playing as well. Now that riz is injured and azam khan is out, they should have called haris IMO. But here we go, haseebullah comes in. Haris was rested in the last NZ series when he never needed rest and now he is gone from this series as well. Unjustified selection in his case.

I think it's a very good squad that I've seen for Pakistan in a long time. The bowling in particular is very good, I do agree that batting is still the problem and probably they lack a bit of fire power, but I still think the inclusion of Usman Khan is a good move, need to give him a long rope of you believe in his abilities.

Don't read too much into the recent results against NZ, that is obviously disappointing for Pak fans but it's not a true reflection of this team, esp because they are experimenting.

I'd back Pakistan to make at least the Semis at the WC.

Back