[VIDEOS] "If Haris Sohail was from a big city & had an ODI average of 47, would he have been excluded?"

Found some form in the National T20 Cup in his last few innings:

47, 52*, 18, 39, 34*

Overall numbers in the tournament - 209 runs at an average of 41.80 and a strike-rate of 147.18

Found some form in the National T20 Cup in his last few innings:

47, 52*, 18, 39, 34*

Overall numbers in the tournament - 209 runs at an average of 41.80 and a strike-rate of 147.18

Whatta playa criminal to leave him out and have khusdil ifti and Asif in squad

If Haris didn't have the stigma of injuries around him, he could've been picked.

Haris was tried under Mickey and Misbah, playing 10 T20Is and averaging 20 at SR of 106.

He's struggled with bounce too so not ideal for AUS surfaces.

If it’s between him, Malik and Azam Khan for the middle order replacement of Khushdil then Haris has to slot in without a doubt.

Not a long term option but could be someone decent for this World Cup outlet due to his exceptional natural ability.

If it’s between him, Malik and Azam Khan for the middle order replacement of Khushdil then Haris has to slot in without a doubt.

Not a long term option but could be someone decent for this World Cup outlet due to his exceptional natural ability.

Which Haris, the promising young wicketkeeper batsman or the lazy, chronically unfit smoker Haris ?

Haris was tried under Mickey and Misbah, playing 10 T20Is and averaging 20 at SR of 106.

He's struggled with bounce too so not ideal for AUS surfaces.

Exactly. I've seen a lot of posters XI here on this forum & at least 70% of them have Haris Sohail in their XI. His last 5 innings in Aus he scored 4,6,8, 3, 1 & 8 and that was his peak or relatively peak time.

He’s another Babar type batsman who takes a bit to get going. The knee injury was awful for him, doesn’t seem like he’s been the same since.

Either way, not the solution to our batting woes. Even though I respect him a lot as a batsman and he was at one point the hero to take our batting forward.

We need a Miller, SKY, Kami or Warner type batsman which we have maybe 1-2 of, and not sure how ready they are for this tournament

We need a Miller, SKY, Kami or Warner type batsman which we have maybe 1-2 of, and not sure how ready they are for this tournament

Yes, we certainly need a player like SKY, Miller, Rossow, Warner but that's the thing we're not going to get a player like this even in next 10 years. Our domestic is really really really bad the batters have don't talent at all when it comes to power hitting or innovative shots. 1 or 2 players who have potential to be like these players has no patience & mind at all. The WC in UAE was a false dawn & it was our vest chance to win another T20 WC but we bottled it in the semi final all thanks to Babar, Hassan & Shaheen. It would be a miracle if we can beat any team apart from Bangladesh & the associate sides in this tournament.

Which Haris, the promising young wicketkeeper batsman or the lazy, chronically unfit smoker Haris ?

The latter.

The young keeper Haris needs to work more on building innings and not looking like a tailender so he can justify his talent as an opener.

He’s another Babar type batsman who takes a bit to get going. The knee injury was awful for him, doesn’t seem like he’s been the same since.

Either way, not the solution to our batting woes. Even though I respect him a lot as a batsman and he was at one point the hero to take our batting forward.

Did you really just put Kami in that company with the likes of Warner and SKY? Why not add Hassan Ali too. He has as much batting ability as Kami had and can play aggressively too.

Honestly, I have little sympathy for Haris Sohail and anyone who remembers his last performances for Pakistan would agree (eg in NZ). He was clearly lazy, disinterested, unfit with some shockingly poor dismissals. Our cricketers love to blame everyone but themselves.

Haris Sohail brings up his 14th first-class hundred

foTY3jV.png

The current team seam to be all from the same age group. More like a bunch of friends.

Haris Sohail could be the key in the middle order at 5 for the ODI WC.

His innings vs South Africa in 2019 World Cup still is one of the best innings out batsmen has played in a while.

The current team seam to be all from the same age group. More like a bunch of friends.

Haris Sohail could be the key in the middle order at 5 for the ODI WC.

His innings vs South Africa in 2019 World Cup still is one of the best innings out batsmen has played in a while.

harris sohail is mental midget, he refuse to tour to england for no reason at all when he had sure spot in an ODI team,

He does deserve a chance. All stories about him should be put to the side. Only thing that matters is his form

An average of 47 and handy SLA simply cannot be ignored. Pakistan has very quietly found some really quality batsmen for ODI cricket, who should ensure that those dreaded collapses are a thing of the past. There is still a lot of time until the next world cup but this would be my team:

1) Rizwan
2) Imam
3) Babar
4) Haris
5) Fakhar
6) Salman
7) Nawaz
8) Shadab
9) Rauf
10) Shaheen
11) Naseem

I feel that Rizwan, given what he's done in T20 cricket, should definitely be given a chance to open while Fakhar would do well going after the older ball. If this doesn't work, their positions can definitely be switched up again.

In fact, you could have Rizwan open during a chase and Fakhar open when Pakistan have to bat first.

We wasted this lad’s peak years (when Misbah was captain), dropping him after 1-2 games even though he showed potential. Getting injured on the eve of the dreadful 2013 SA tour didn’t help.

Thankfully he got some chances still

We wasted this lad’s peak years (when Misbah was captain), dropping him after 1-2 games even though he showed potential. Getting injured on the eve of the dreadful 2013 SA tour didn’t help.

Thankfully he got some chances still

There’s one issue he didn’t have what it takes to be a decent batsman in tests and T20s ODIs were his best format that’s why I never rated him highly a good player should play all 3 formats and make some impact.

Speaking on TV:

"He is really a good player, I worked with him in KPL and I found him very keen towards his cricket": Wasim Akram

"Wasim bhai, don't you think if someone can fit in the white-ball format or ODIs should be given confidence? I mean his average in ODIs is around 50 and he has scored a half-century in his last innings. Does he not deserve proper communication?": Shoaib Malik

"I think he was supported enough. For two years, he was given chances in the academy and everywhere. But, in the end, you have to carry yourself. You are not a child who should be carried all the time": Misbah

"When I was starting cricket back in 2002, if Wasim bhai remembers, he was out of the team. Then a cricketer like him, with 800 wickets, had to give trials to make a comeback. So, you have to fight for your place"Misbah

Misbah also gave an example of Malik, who makes his case stronger every time by scoring runs and proving his fitness.

"Take your [Malik] example. You weren't picked but you performed in domestic, league cricket and proved your fitness," he said."If he [Haris] is a good player, he must perform and leave no stone unturned

Speaking on TV:

"He is really a good player, I worked with him in KPL and I found him very keen towards his cricket": Wasim Akram

"Wasim bhai, don't you think if someone can fit in the white-ball format or ODIs should be given confidence? I mean his average in ODIs is around 50 and he has scored a half-century in his last innings. Does he not deserve proper communication?": Shoaib Malik

"I think he was supported enough. For two years, he was given chances in the academy and everywhere. But, in the end, you have to carry yourself. You are not a child who should be carried all the time": Misbah

"When I was starting cricket back in 2002, if Wasim bhai remembers, he was out of the team. Then a cricketer like him, with 800 wickets, had to give trials to make a comeback. So, you have to fight for your place"Misbah

Misbah also gave an example of Malik, who makes his case stronger every time by scoring runs and proving his fitness.

"Take your [Malik] example. You weren't picked but you performed in domestic, league cricket and proved your fitness," he said."If he [Haris] is a good player, he must perform and leave no stone unturned

This just showcases a lot of misbah’s ziddiness which has held our team back.

Wasim it seems is on the show not to disagree with Misbah too much. He’s held himself back about the babar and riz combo where Misbah is adamant that data apparently proves they should open. Even fakhr has joked that wasim is trying very hard to keep his lips sealed on the matter.

Malik playing his Sialkot card exactly shows his political and snakey mindset

Haris Sohail slapped six fours and four sixes in a 61-ball 92 today in the Pakistan Cup.

Haris Sohal has scored a grand total of 107 runs in Pakistan cup, 43 batsmen, all rounders and bowlers have scored more.

Struggling to keep a place in lowly rated Baluchistan team.

Haris Sohail - Custom built for the ODI Format but not picked.

My personal Fav
sad to see him missing out
probably our best or second best odi batsmen

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have added Fakhar Zaman and Haris Sohail to the NZ probables list after they passed their fitness tests today. The two are also playing in Pak Cup and doing well. <a href="https://t.co/niK52G2XfH">pic.twitter.com/niK52G2XfH</a></p>— Shahid Afridi (@SAfridiOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/SAfridiOfficial/status/1608756751247245312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We have added Fakhar Zaman and Haris Sohail to the NZ probables list after they passed their fitness tests today. The two are also playing in Pak Cup and doing well. <a href="https://t.co/niK52G2XfH">pic.twitter.com/niK52G2XfH</a></p>— Shahid Afridi (@SAfridiOfficial) <a href="https://twitter.com/SAfridiOfficial/status/1608756751247245312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 30, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looking at these pics we might see his last comeback. Doesn’t look like he’s match fit but then again I don’t think he ever was. He’s only played three matches in the Pakistan cup, scored 107 runs @ 53.5. He’s 34 years old, his knees are shot. I’m more curious than anything to see how he performs if selected.

Harris Sohail was ranked 43rd in total runs scored in Pakistan cup, was not even selected by his regional team for more than 2 matches. I guess he will need a runner while batting , ICC won't agree.

Back in the Pakistan squad for ODI Series vs NZ

So we've picked a player with injury issues, hasn't played for the national side or consistently for years. Hasn't scored runs in domestics or been picked for his regional side as per above.

Yup, he's ticking all the boxes for selection in the world of Pakistan cricket.

So we've picked a player with injury issues, hasn't played for the national side or consistently for years. Hasn't scored runs in domestics or been picked for his regional side as per above.

Yup, he's ticking all the boxes for selection in the world of Pakistan cricket.

Another Afridi classic , worst of all the ridiculous selection decisions he has made so far.

So many other deserving players ignored for this pathetic smoker . Just go over the line of batsmen scored runs in Pakistan cup and one can see.

His selection makes very little sense but then with Afridi few things ever do. Haris is past his prime and doesn't have the fitness to play at the international level. His recent performances are clear evidence of that. Just one inning of note in the ODI cup. Even in QeA trophy he threw away most of his starts.

Haris is a very good ODI batsman. Pakistan does not have a better number 4 than him even though he is injury prone & lazy.

I would take an unfit, lazy Haris over Rizwan, Iftikhar & Khushdil any day of the week. At least he is a proper batsman.

He can easily last until the World Cup. Very good call by Afridi who is already proving to be a much better selector than Wasim.

Haris is a very good ODI batsman. Pakistan does not have a better number 4 than him even though he is injury prone & lazy.

I would take an unfit, lazy Haris over Rizwan, Iftikhar & Khushdil any day of the week. At least he is a proper batsman.

He can easily last until the World Cup. Very good call by Afridi who is already proving to be a much better selector than Wasim.

You can have him but what good is he when made out of glass? Pakistan’s best bet is hoping he is in form and picking him for a series just before the WC. I don’t think he is physically or mentally strong enough to play international cricket for 12 months

Proven ace odi performer.

As long as he is fit, he walks into the odi XI.

That's the problem, he's no longer fit, his knees have gone and doesn't have the stamina for elite level cricket. I'm surprised he can still hold a bat.

Quality batsmen, but his fitness is the big question mark, to the point that it effects his batting approach (not able to run twos etc)

Another Afridi classic , worst of all the ridiculous selection decisions he has made so far.

So many other deserving players ignored for this pathetic smoker . Just go over the line of batsmen scored runs in Pakistan cup and one can see.

Any player who should have been picked.

If he's fit enough he walks in to Pakistan odi team pluss he can be the 6th bowling option.

Haris Sohail speaking to PCB

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/stl174" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Haris Sohail speaking to PCB

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/stl174" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>
Absolute class player

He was sorely missed at number 4

Zero faith in him. He is going to block a space for guys like Tayyab & Hurraira.

He is already 38 years old (unofficially)

Zero faith in him. He is going to block a space for guys like Tayyab & Hurraira.

He is already 38 years old (unofficially)

Hurraira is very good but he’s been awful in list A. While Tayyab Tahir is is an average bat at best. Haris is far better.

A very good comeback knock from Harry. I really hope he can maintain his current fitness and then get better from here. He can be a rock in the middle order, perfect ODI batter.

32 runs under no pressure and on a flat dew effected Karachi wickets and already declared a "rock" "best bat" .

Why have our expectations and standard hit rock bottom ?

32 runs under no pressure and on a flat dew effected Karachi wickets and already declared a "rock" "best bat" .

At a strike rate of close to 135.

It frankly does not take a genius to notice that he carried the whole batting line up on his back.

Made up for the slack of 50 SR Rizwan and 70 SR Babar.

Pakistan barely squeaked a victory in the 49th over where the debutant Agha hit a 6 to win.

Haris contribution was definitely the difference in this win. Let me know if you need any more clarification after a match.

Haris Sohail has always been a good batsman. Fitness is his only issue, he is injured every 6 months. Always considered him the second-best batsman after Babar.

Two shots Haris Sohail played towards deep mid-wicket/long-on against Tim Southee are not commonly discussed but are very effective. If you're looking to attack a bowler, instead of playing high/long shots, the better technique is to hit it far away with a flat curve trajectory. The ball travels quick and drops in a curve trajectory using the gravity, making it tough for a fielder to judge and catch the ball. I've seen only two Pakistani players before playing such kind of shots; Abdul Razzaq & Shadab Khan and both got success in it. The current lot of English players use this as their base technique which is one of the reasons most of them can naturally strike the ball hard. Jos Buttler is one rare breed cricketer who can play flat curve trajectory & long/high shots and is equally good in both.

Can't a healthy human in his 30s improve his fitness with some effort? Given Pakistan is a country that very rarely produces international level batsmen, Haris's worth is huge. 2019 WC Haris-Babar partnership in a tricky chase against NZ is a memorable one.

Can't a healthy human in his 30s improve his fitness with some effort? Given Pakistan is a country that very rarely produces international level batsmen, Haris's worth is huge. 2019 WC Haris-Babar partnership in a tricky chase against NZ is a memorable one.

With Haris’ innings being the more memorable and impactful one.

Babar spent most of the second half of his innings trying to squeak out that much required “defining” century.

His match winning 89 off 59 vs south Africa before that too.

What I liked about his innings was the confidence. Just hope he gets a fifty in next innings

What I liked about his innings was the confidence. Just hope he gets a fifty in next innings

I was thinking the same. Although he played a good innings, he needs to score a fifty to retain his spot in the team moving forward.

The selectors always seem to have little patience with him.

I was thinking the same. Although he played a good innings, he needs to score a fifty to retain his spot in the team moving forward.

The selectors always seem to have little patience with him.

He doesn't need to score a 50 to retain his spot. Pakistan needs him more than he needs Pakistan

Harris and Fakhar Zaman

These two are our match winners in ODI

Need to work out quickly if he is part of the plan.
Maybe even a change of role - because in yesterday's team he was the best power hitter we had.
I don't like him and babar at 4 as I think they don't play the sweep too well to manoeuvre the field- so it was good for Rizwan to break them two up.
Being able to play the sweep is vital in India..I like that agha and Nawaz are decent sweepers.
Babar isn't - so need to decide if we can afford haris in there as well.

Need to work out quickly if he is part of the plan.
Maybe even a change of role - because in yesterday's team he was the best power hitter we had.
I don't like him and babar at 4 as I think they don't play the sweep too well to manoeuvre the field- so it was good for Rizwan to break them two up.
Being able to play the sweep is vital in India..I like that agha and Nawaz are decent sweepers.
Babar isn't - so need to decide if we can afford haris in there as well.

You’ve just made the case for Sarfraz to be included in the World Cup - I agree it’s a good shout.

Excellent player should play at 4, natural stroke player and being left hander will compliment Babar as well

Harris and Fakhar Zaman

These two are our match winners in ODI

Both looked like they never left. Haris is 34 for now, i hope his fitness and form is good enough to give us a few more years, akin to what India expect from SKY these days.

Haris took all the pressure off of Rizwan who was going at a SR of 57 for the first 20-30 balls and the RRR ballooned up to 6+ from about 4-5 rpo the way Fakhar was going.

Rizwan is alright in ODIs, he makes up his okay batting with generally being fantastic behind the stumps, but his fans make it seem that there’s zero flaws in his game. He has the same issue Shehzad had of horrible paced innings where the first 30 balls they’re striking at 50-60 SR and need someone else to take charge. They have to make it up at the end of their innings.

Both suffer from dot ball consumption.

Last edited:
Absolutely CLASS bat.

He's an asset and must be played + protected at all costs.

Pak has a real dearth of batting talent. He's one of those rare finds who can actually bat and have a good range of shots.

Back