[VIDEOS] "If Haris Sohail was from a big city & had an ODI average of 47, would he have been excluded?"

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
[VIDS]"If Haris Sohail was from a big city & had an ODI average of 47, would he have been excluded?"

Sources close to Haris Sohail have told PP:

"If Haris was from a big city like Lahore or Karachi and had an average of 47, would he have been excluded?"

"Faisal Iqbal did wrong to him when they had the altercation and disagreement, he left in midseason for the T10 league and nothing happened to him"

"Haris was given a show cause notice and he apologized profusely for his behaviour"

"Haris has even spoken to Babar Azam in detail, and he also has no answer to Haris' exclusion"

"They are saying play in domestic and we can see if Haris is fine but why didn't they let him play in the previous season, things would have been resolved by now if they had allowed Haris to play in the previous domestic season"

"He wasn't even asked to come to the 60 player NHPC camp to prove his fitness if that was the issue"

"They know that they have a problem where the middle-order is struggling and they have a player who is available and they are knowingly ignoring him; This is not the way to run things"

"He was told by Mohammad Wasim via a phone call in England that he was being removed from central contracts so he asked the Chief Selector about the criteria for his dropping as his average in ODIs is nearly 47, they had no answer"

"There seems to be a like/dislike culture in play, and we have seen how the likes of Imad Wasim, Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Amir have been treated"

==

Some background:

Pakistan’s stylish middle-order batter, Haris Sohail has not participated in competitive cricket since Balochistan’s encounter against Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in the 10th match of the 2021/22 Quaid-e-Azam Trophy.

While there was speculation that Haris was ruled out of action after suffering yet another injury, the real story behind his exclusion from the domestic circuit is due to an unsavory incident involving former Balochistan head coach, Faisal Iqbal.

According to sources, Haris and Faisal Iqbal were involved in a physical altercation during the recently concluded Quaid-e-Azam Trophy. The incident was reported to the higher-ups in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) including the chairman, Ramiz Raja.

While Faisal Iqbal was removed from the coaching position soon after, Haris too has not been allowed to take part in any domestic cricket since then. Haris’ inclusion in the next domestic season is still unclear but it is expected that he will be allowed to reintegrate into the set-up.

The 33-year-old has had an inconsistent run in the Pakistan side. Considered one of the most gifted batters in the circuit currently, Haris has been unable to nail down his spot in the national side. A series of injuries, including a knee problem and some bad luck, has resulted in him donning Green Jersey only 72 times.

The batter has showcased his class with the bat in his short international career. He has scored 1,685 runs at an average of 46.80 in ODIs and 847 runs at an average of 32.57 in Test cricket. While his numbers do warrant him a place in the 50-over format, it is likely that his international career has come to an unfortunate end.

https://propakistani.pk/2022/05/12/remember-haris-sohail-heres-why-he-is-out-of-pakistan-cricket/

Last edited:
if true - this is most unfair with Haris Sohail.

I am such a big fan of Haris's batting.
No one, no one in Pakistan bats as classy as Haris Sohail does, not even Babar Azam.

His innings againts New Zealand in cwc19 was the best inningsfrom a Pakistani in World cups ( I haven't seen Inzimam vs New Zealand).

How about you stop smoking, lose some weight and learn how to play on bouncier wickets ?

Well if fitness was the case, this should have been made clear to him.

Absolutely and this camp is partly designed for players to show their levels of fitness. So it would have been an ideal opportunity for him prove just how fit or unfit he actually he is.

He's mentally the weakest player in Pakistan. Someone goes boo and he falls apart. That's before you get into his physical vulnerabilities. He always seems to be breaking down, especially when his team needs him. Glad if he never plays for Pakistan again.

Well if fitness was the case, this should have been made clear to him.

He shouldn't need to be told he's been overweight and a smoker for years.

If that needs pointing out to an international cricketer with 72 international caps then god help him.

I've seen a few of the players mention Haris to be the laziest and least worried about fitness. I think his attitude towards fitness is what has done him along with his injuries. This has nothing to do with players from big cities.

A physical altercation between a coach and a player?

Never liked Faisal Iqbal.

Haris should improve his fitness though as he is a natural no. 4 for ODIs.

How about you stop smoking, lose some weight and learn how to play on bouncier wickets ?

There is absolutely no reason to exclude him from odi squad.
His record is sensational.
He may be overweight. That doesn't stop him from being the best odi middle order batsman in Pakistan by some distance as well.

If in the name of fitness, the likes of Khushdil, Iftikhar, asif ali are played over him, that only harms pakistan team.

He remains Pakistan's 2nd best odi batsman.
No one in Pakistan can play those 2 knocks he played in wc 2019.
He performs when the pressure is on vs top teams.

Haris with 1 hand is a far better odi batsmen then khushdil hack Asif, uncle ifti.

I also think its a case of selectors once again looking at different formats for selection. He was struggling in Tests so he gets dropped from everywhere even though he clearly deserves to be on the ODI squad. He was solid for us in the WC too.

Haris has a chronic knee problem, he is never fully fit

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is almost guaranteed to break down after walking a mile. I rather pick someone with a bit of fitness and focus.

Its not as if Haris Sohail was winning us trophies left, right and centre.

Harris Sohail case is interesting.

The guy had been performing quite well in first class and list a for years, but he would not get selected. But when he would end up performing in a t20 match for sialkot stallions he was noticed and added in our t20 squad.

Harris was never a t20 player, he was a longer format player. But in Pakistan, players that perform on tv get selected.thus, its not an issue of big city vs small city, but of televised matches.

Thus, his intial years got wasted like this. He could had been easily been selected during the time when Azhar Ali was also emerging.

Anyways, in the 2015 world cup, he established himself as a decent batter and was kept on the team.

Harris downfall?

In hindsight, Harris made one of the biggest mistakes of his career. A mistake that eventually would end his career.

When pakistan was sending a full entourage of players during covid to England, the players were given the option of pulling out if they had covid concerns and didn't want to be part of the tour.

Harris Sohail, who was well in his right, pulled out of the tour due to covid concerns. We cant blame him because at that time covid was so unknown that there was also a mass hysteria linked to it aswell. Also, first world country players would had done the same.

But sadly, this decision would prove Harris costly.

Till the end of 2019, the reputation of Harris had been established of being lazy, but him pulling out of the england tour was viewed in bad light by the PCB that he may be just acting out or looking for am excuse to not play.

Harriswas not in the test plans and maybe that tour could had helped him to get back in the test team.

Its that one decision that proved to be the most costly one.

Anyways, over the years I have also heard about various rumours regarding Harris Sohail. I even heard about a rumour that some politician of sialkot was also involved in him not playing. Not sure if it was Firdous Ashiq Awan or some other rival politician.

Anyways, as an athelete, you cannot ignore fitness. Yes Harris held a high avg in odis but what stopped him from attaining to the level of Babar Azam was that Harris wasnt fit enough to play a longer innings. He would score high 50s, which were good, but that was because of his capability with the bat. If the score was hogh, you wouldnt expect him to bat put the innings due to fitness issue.

He is 33 now, and his international career is pretty much over sadly.

Eventually, shadab Khan might also lose his position in the team. Shadabs issue is not fitness but his strength. Belonging from poor families causes bad eating habits which results in this.

With his continous breakdowns, I dont think Pakistan would be persissting him after an year or two.

The reason why i am refering him in this thread is because he is a similar case.

Eventually, shadab Khan might also lose his position in the team. Shadabs issue is not fitness but his strength. Belonging from poor families causes bad eating habits which results in this.

With his continous breakdowns, I dont think Pakistan would be persissting him after an year or two.

The reason why i am refering him in this thread is because he is a similar case.

What on earth are you talking about ? What eating habits?
Is there something you know that we don't?

Harris Sohail case is interesting.

The guy had been performing quite well in first class and list a for years, but he would not get selected. But when he would end up performing in a t20 match for sialkot stallions he was noticed and added in our t20 squad.

Harris was never a t20 player, he was a longer format player. But in Pakistan, players that perform on tv get selected.thus, its not an issue of big city vs small city, but of televised matches.

Thus, his intial years got wasted like this. He could had been easily been selected during the time when Azhar Ali was also emerging.

Anyways, in the 2015 world cup, he established himself as a decent batter and was kept on the team.

Harris downfall?

In hindsight, Harris made one of the biggest mistakes of his career. A mistake that eventually would end his career.

When pakistan was sending a full entourage of players during covid to England, the players were given the option of pulling out if they had covid concerns and didn't want to be part of the tour.

Harris Sohail, who was well in his right, pulled out of the tour due to covid concerns. We cant blame him because at that time covid was so unknown that there was also a mass hysteria linked to it aswell. Also, first world country players would had done the same.

But sadly, this decision would prove Harris costly.

Till the end of 2019, the reputation of Harris had been established of being lazy, but him pulling out of the england tour was viewed in bad light by the PCB that he may be just acting out or looking for am excuse to not play.

Harriswas not in the test plans and maybe that tour could had helped him to get back in the test team.

Its that one decision that proved to be the most costly one.

Anyways, over the years I have also heard about various rumours regarding Harris Sohail. I even heard about a rumour that some politician of sialkot was also involved in him not playing. Not sure if it was Firdous Ashiq Awan or some other rival politician.

Anyways, as an athelete, you cannot ignore fitness. Yes Harris held a high avg in odis but what stopped him from attaining to the level of Babar Azam was that Harris wasnt fit enough to play a longer innings. He would score high 50s, which were good, but that was because of his capability with the bat. If the score was hogh, you wouldnt expect him to bat put the innings due to fitness issue.

He is 33 now, and his international career is pretty much over sadly.

Opting out of England tour didn't put an end to his career. He played in NZ tests after that where he failed.

We can afford to not have him in Test team, but he is invaluable in ODI team and was dropped without any reason where he was performing very well.

He seemed like the next big thing when he came to the scene. However, always had fitness issues and had a problem converting his starts to big scores. He's faded away now and at 33 we need to look for younger talent.

He's got on the wrong side of influential people at PCB and that's caused him a lot of problems.

In Pakistan cricket you have to keep everyone on your side and play things cleverly.

However I don't think the Sialkot issue is valid.

Opting out of England tour didn't put an end to his career. He played in NZ tests after that where he failed.

We can afford to not have him in Test team, but he is invaluable in ODI team and was dropped without any reason where he was performing very well.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i dont think he played in any test after that. England tour that i am talking about is the covid one

Im sorry but he cant string 2-3 games in a row without breaking down and being out for 6 months

You cant play or build a team with someone whos not fit half the time

IMO he was among the most talented Pakistani batsmen during 2011-15 period, I remember once he was averaging around 50 in domestic cricket when pitches were very difficult to bat, but unfortunately his first 3 years were wasted.

We persisted with Younis Khan in ODis eventhough Mohali 2011 should have been his last one day international.

After that due to Pcb's mishandling of his injury and his own laziness, he became a too injury prone athlete.

Anyways he's not a t20 player and even the ship has sailed for test cricket. Odi is his best and most suitable format.

A fully fit and in form Haris Sohail can be a very good option for no. 4 spot in odi team. But currently he's not in the selectors's radar.

Whats the problem in giving him another chance?

I can understand why they excluded him from international cricket after his fitness and injury issues, but to keep him out of domestic cricket was just petty.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i dont think he played in any test after that. England tour that i am talking about is the covid one

Yes he did play in the 2-test series in NZ after that England tour. Babar was out injured.

If he ever writes a book the title should be "A Prodigy, injuries and ghosts".

Nothing to do with big/small city. He wasnt even from a small city, he was from Sialkot and Malik is from that region and is still playing cricket at 40 years of age.

One of the best batting talents produced by Pakistan in the last decade without a doubt and everyone recognized that but, unfortunately Haris himself alongside some unfortunate injuries didnt do justice to his potential.

He was playing at no 3 for Pakistan in the 2015 WC, so he or anyone saying world was against him was completely wrong. It was the unfortunate knee injury which took away 2-3 years of his career and even then he wasnt fully fit (His weight transition to the front foot was very limited since). He then again made a comeback on merit and performed really well with WC 2019 being the highlight however, again aside from ghosts and Covid bubble problems the issues of fitness and him being lazy on occasions to improve that impacted his career again alongside his own batting form in the red ball format and him not developing his game enough even at 32-33 years of age to play T20 format.

He deserves to play ODI format based upon numbers if fit? Possibly yes but, not before playing domestic cricket which he last played almost 7 months ago with last List A over an year ago. Should he be played? Debatable as at 33 years of age with poor fitness and you are not even in the contention for the other two formats currently then difficult to keep investing in you. WC 2023 is just an year away, if Pakistan need him at no 5 (Not an extraordinary player of spin) then this should be the time otherwise no point in discussion.

Last edited:
Haris Sohail is another prime example in a long list of Pakistan players who let themselves down by not working hard at all or having the ethics of working hard in general. Other noticeable ones being Sohaib Maqsood, Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad these ones being talented when they came in but lost their way after initially impressing and faltering away due to fitness, non serious attitude or as I say no hard working ethics.

He has lost a good 5 years of his playing career down to his own negligence or shall I say ignorance down to fitness, injuries, non serious attitude towards improving his overall game awareness and attitude in general to the sport.

Every time I saw him in the field he just looked as if he is kind of aloof of the situation in the middle and would just be not serious about the game.

He has not played any game for nearly a year now and being in his mid 30's and not being much fit enough throughout his playing time, he would not now make an honest effort to improve himself so much that he wants to play for Pakistan again especially now that there are some youngsters knocking on the doors with better ability and attitude of sorts.

PCB have confirmed that Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood, Haris Sohail and Sharjeel Khan have been invited for fitness assessments (not tests); Coaches will observe their fitness levels and provide them a road map for the next three months to attain the desired level of fitness.

He shouldn't need to be told he's been overweight and a smoker for years.

If that needs pointing out to an international cricketer with 72 international caps then god help him.

I don't think someone needs to be told to stop smoking and loose weight.

Harris Sohail should have been a permanent member of the squad in both odis and tests however he has only himself to blame with his attitude regarding fitness and bad habits alongside his medical condition.

For me it's clear. The chief selector is deliberately excluding him because of a personal dislike. How an earth can Pakistan afford to leave out a batsman averaging almost 50, when their middle order is a shambles.

I don't think someone needs to be told to stop smoking and loose weight.

Your right they shouldnt have to be told It must be a given that a player wantin to play for pakistan is fit and has healthy habits

The fact they have to be told goes to show some pakistani players are too lazy and not serious about their cricket at all

PCB have confirmed that Umar Akmal, Sohaib Maqsood, Haris Sohail and Sharjeel Khan have been invited for fitness assessments (not tests); Coaches will observe their fitness levels and provide them a road map for the next three months to attain the desired level of fitness.

It's a good thing that they will provide them goals to attain to get picked cause fitness should be inexcusable. If Haris gets fitter and PPselector doesn't pick him, then he can talk about nepotism, otherwise it's on him to get in better shape.

Although I firmly believe we need to get rid of Mohammad Wasim as soon as possible. A limelight craving guy.

Haris Sohail was excluded because the PCB lost patience with his lethargic attitude towards fitness, training, the fact he frequently got injured whenever big tours were coming up, the guy failed his biggest tests i.e. Australia and New Zealand, he also chose to opt out of touring England in 2020 because of Covid concerns. The selectors are rightfully focusing on the future.

He has lousy fitness regime:
Kukkars. Plenty of 'em. Mid night parathays. Night time ghost stories. He is also from Intikhab Alam School of Fitness.

Asked to prove his fitness when Azam Khan has not had the same asked of him.

Anyway it's a sort of an opportunity I guess.

Your right they shouldnt have to be told It must be a given that a player wantin to play for pakistan is fit and has healthy habits

The fact they have to be told goes to show some pakistani players are too lazy and not serious about their cricket at all

Exactly fitness is something you can control.

I highly doubt anyone of them will get two kilometres in less than 8 minutes.

Liked Haris as a player, shame the way things worked out with him.

But I don’t see him coming back into the fold now.

Rashid Latif:

"Pakistan missed Haris Sohail. He is a technically sound batter who can score in away conditions too"

"Haris Sohail had injury issues, but PCB cannot sideline such a player. Haris might have made mistakes, but the time is not over yet for him. Haris can still play for Pakistan"

What absolute nonsense.

People who support haris sohail should seriously quit watching and following all kind of sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Utterly unfit, constantly breaking down. I would say mentally fragile too. One of the worst players I saw playing for Pakistan in the last few years. His complaint is ridiculous.

Rashid Latif:

"Pakistan missed Haris Sohail. He is a technically sound batter who can score in away conditions too"

"Haris Sohail had injury issues, but PCB cannot sideline such a player. Haris might have made mistakes, but the time is not over yet for him. Haris can still play for Pakistan"

There are two Rashid Latifs. One who plays nice and says politically correct things on PTV. The more honest one is on Caught Behind. I bet this was said on PTV. On PTV according to Rashid Latif no player ever deserved being dropped.

Trying his luck at KPL2

GWawNJS.png

Hits 55(34) in a losing cause for Mirpur

This guy is badly needed in the ODI lineup atleast for the next year's world cup.

Utterly unfit, constantly breaking down. I would say mentally fragile too. One of the worst players I saw playing for Pakistan in the last few years. His complaint is ridiculous.

One of the worst players? Did you watch him bat? He always had extra time to play the ball and after Babar, always looked the most comfortable.

He is lazy and unfit which has been his downfall but even at his worst he has been a useful player for his int he few matches he’s played.

With Shan Masood’s work ethic he would be as good as Babar in all formats.

An unbeaten half-century by Haris Sohail and two sixes in the 20th over from Amad Butt guided Balochistan to a five-wicket win over Northern in the 25th fixture of the Kingdom Valley National T20 Cup 2022-23 here at the Multan Cricket Stadium on Thursday.

Player of the match Haris returned unbeaten on 52 off 36, smashing seven fours.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/baxjum" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
one of the biggest wasted talents pak have produced, natural timer of the ball, but lazy and mentally weak. all the strokes in the book and a career t20 s.r. of 110 says everything.

one of the biggest wasted talents pak have produced, natural timer of the ball, but lazy and mentally weak. all the strokes in the book and a career t20 s.r. of 110 says everything.

One of the best players of swing I have seen from pakistan. And he was brilliant against spin too.

Really sad that he didn't go on to become a more important player.

Stylish. Elegant,great timer no doubt .. can’t live off 2 good knocks in WC19 , injury prone ,very slow in the field & between the wickets , ideal 90s batter born in the wrong year lol , Like the current PCB selection policy of not picking players for the sake of past glories & reputations & definitely ignoring guys who use media & social media platforms to push their agenda instead of letting their performances do the talking’Harris not one of them though ‘

He played more than he deserved, too lazy and unfit all the time and-------------------- a smoker. Glad we moved on from him -----------but now stuck with even worst players like Khushdil and Iftikhar, Uh--.

He could have been the long term solution for our middle order issues, given the ability he had, and the glimpses he showed during the 2019 WC.

However, he was always too lazy to put in the hard yards, hence the constant injuries and lack of fitness which eventually ended his promising career.

The fact that he never cemented his place in the side despite debuting in the early 2010s tells the story.

At his best, he easily wipes the floor with every Pakistani batsman not named Babar Azam in both Tests and ODIs.

We got robbed off a potential world class number 3 in Tests and 4 in ODIs who could have won several games for Pakistan had he worked harder. His partnership with Babar would have been a treat to watch.

A wasted talent.

He played more than he deserved, too lazy and unfit all the time and-------------------- a smoker. Glad we moved on from him -----------but now stuck with even worst players like Khushdil and Iftikhar, Uh--.

But you can't deny his talent.

He could have been the long term solution for our middle order issues, given the ability he had, and the glimpses he showed during the 2019 WC.

However, he was always too lazy to put in the hard yards, hence the constant injuries and lack of fitness which eventually ended his promising career.

The fact that he never cemented his place in the side despite debuting in the early 2010s tells the story.

At his best, he easily wipes the floor with every Pakistani batsman not named Babar Azam in both Tests and ODIs.

We got robbed off a potential world class number 3 in Tests and 4 in ODIs who could have won several games for Pakistan had he worked harder. His partnership with Babar would have been a treat to watch.

A wasted talent.

I can’t speak for his work ethic, but that knee injury absolutely did him in.

His knee issue is definitely as serious one, but I do believe that his lack of dedication towards fitness has made things worse for his knee.

If I am not wrong, he was also one of the few guys who was caught smoking by the team management at one point.

Harris Sohail could have been a good player had he cared about his fitness, and not been so lazy. Not to mention horrible fielding. He should never play for Pakistan again.

Are you saying the PCB would drop him because he is from a poor background. If so? Why is he VC.

Or do you mean he is from a poor background and so he has bad eating habits.

Shadab seems like a smart progressive guy. He communicates well with international players and I think he has developed some good fitness and dietary habits

I feel him and Haris and poles apart

Haris is an old school player from the 1990s. Ridiculously good though but if you are building a team culture you would rather keep someone like Shaan.

Skill for skill Haris is the second best batter in the country

Last edited:
Are you saying the PCB would drop him because he is from a poor background. If so? Why is he VC.

Or do you mean he is from a poor background and so he has bad eating habits.

Shadab seems like a smart progressive guy. He communicates well with international players and I think he has developed some good fitness and dietary habits

I feel him and Haris and poles apart

I think its obvious what i wrote.

Shadab came froma poor background and thus had poor diet during his growth years.

Now he is a cricketer and all and had money, but during the years of development he had poor diet which is why we see him breaking down every now and than

I think its obvious what i wrote.

Shadab came froma poor background and thus had poor diet during his growth years.

Now he is a cricketer and all and had money, but during the years of development he had poor diet which is why we see him breaking down every now and than

That is a really stretched argument.

Most of our players come from poor backgrounds. Shadab is fairly tall and decently built so it does not seem as if he is suffering from the latent effects of childhood under nutrition.

He is also quick and agile likely blessed with fast twitch muscles which I suspect would not happen in an under-developed or weakened body.

While he has had certain injuries, his overall fitness record is not that bad considering the way he puts his body on the line and the volume of cricket he plays. Again, these indicate that he is not that weak.

I can think of several foreign players that are more injury prone than him who do not come from such humble backgrounds.

So yeah, while you can put two and two together and pose that childhood poverty has made him into a weak and fragile athlete, it does not make a lot of sense.

This guy was a special talent and Pakistan gave him enough chances to cement his place in the team. However, only he himself is to blame as his fitness was never up to the mark.

Hope he turns things around for himself as he can still easily walk into our side if fully fit.

A rare occurrence in Pakistan cricket when an excellent batsman is out of the team, not because of his performances, but because of his fitness issues.

If he was fit, he would walk into the side ahead of every batsman except Babar.

A rare occurrence in Pakistan cricket when an excellent batsman is out of the team, not because of his performances, but because of his fitness issues.

If he was fit, he would walk into the side ahead of every batsman except Babar.

He is fit and playing nt20. Walks in ahead of Khushdil for me. Perhaps I won't take him to Australia but he certainly should be in the team after that.

He is fit and playing nt20. Walks in ahead of Khushdil for me. Perhaps I won't take him to Australia but he certainly should be in the team after that.

Ideally he should be in the side. Problem is his smoking habit and indiscipline related to fitness. His knee is ever-injured too. Should be given another go after the wc, i agree.

There is a year left till the next WC. I can not trust Khushdil Shah and Salman Ali Agha in the next WC. Haris can take retirement after WC2023 but we desperately need him.

Classy player....should be given one last chance in ODIs and perhaps even the test team if his fitness holds up.

Too late to get him into the T20 team but seriously guys, he needs to bat at # 3 or #4 for the ODI team.

1) Rizwan
2) Fakhar
3) Babar
4) Haris

That's a pretty solid top-4 for the next World Cup.

Back