[VIDEOS] "If Haris Sohail was from a big city & had an ODI average of 47, would he have been excluded?"

On form, Haris is second only to Babar in terms of technique and stroke play.

If he can stay fit he will be an asset for the world cup and should play test matches in Pakistan.

Regarding his fitness - PCB nearly ruined his career. He had the wrong operation after a PCB medic was consulted.

He had to come to the UK to repair the damage caused by that operation and went through a lengthy rehab process.

He's worked damn hard to even be playing cricket again, as at one point it appeared that he might not play cricket again.

Last edited:
Haris is an effortless batsman. If it wasn’t for injuries he would be Pakistan’s best batsman across formats.

He is better than Babar. He can do everything Babar can but he has a better power game.

Haris is one of the unluckiest players in Pakistan history. The difference in class between him & Rizwan was clear - he was playing the ball on merit & middling everything while Rizwan was scratching around & premeditating reverse sweeps.

Thank you Afridi for bringing him back into the fold. He must play every ODI until the end of the World Cup.

Haris is an effortless batsman. If it wasn’t for injuries he would be Pakistan’s best batsman across formats.

He is better than Babar. He can do everything Babar can but he has a better power game.

Haris is one of the unluckiest players in Pakistan history. The difference in class between him & Rizwan was clear - he was playing the ball on merit & middling everything while Rizwan was scratching around & premeditating reverse sweeps.

Thank you Afridi for bringing him back into the fold. He must play every ODI until the end of the World Cup.

agree 100 percent.. if he stays fit he should play every game possible

He was one of my favorite when he stated his international cricket , he was good , came on merit after good performance in domestic cricket . But it didn't take me long to realize this guy would not go too far due to his lack of commitment to his game and hunger. When he was young , he was still manage to play some good innings . But now he is old, doesn't work hard on his fitness and his reflex have slowed down already. No wonder he struggled even at domestic level , can't play a decent international level bowling .

Remember last time he toured NZL , his score in 4 test inning was 3, 9, 1 and 15. Now in his late 30s chronically unfit , with no recent form behind him , selectors should have mover on from him .

Even if he scores some runs on flat Karachi wicket, will be a failure in the WC against better bowling .

Regarding his fitness - PCB nearly ruined his career. He had the wrong operation after a PCB medic was consulted.

He had to come to the UK to repair the damage caused by that operation and went through a lengthy rehab process.

He's worked damn hard to even be playing cricket again, as at one point it appeared that he might not play cricket again.

In other country, Haris could have sued the cricket board for their incompetence in misdiagnosing his condition.

Rizwan took across the line. That's the difference.

Until Haris does that for Pakistan (and Inshallah he will), lets keep off the comparisons.

Babar would try everything to not play Haris sohail because that would steal the spotlight from babar.
u would see that.
when haris was dropped without any reason babar didn’t support him.

As i said earlier we are not making fun, neither are we a charity. There are many institutions where Haris Sohail can seek help, but it should not be at the expense of the Pakistan cricket team.

Haris got away with multiple opportunities.

Haris Sohail retains his place in the ODI squad. What can we expect from him? Was run out for 22 in his last game which was against the same opponents (NZ)

Needs to improve fitness and running between the wickets, otherwise a terrific batsman who always looks in full flow.

Will most probably play at Number 5 in the ODI team.

He has missed the boat, and he is getting the sympathy vote. A career that promised a lot, has fizzled out.

Unfortunately Sohails fitness issues will always hamper his cricket like they have done over the last several years

Hes max got another 2 years in him and needs to make the most of the time he has left at the highest level

Haris Sohail retains his place in the ODI squad. What can we expect from him? Was run out for 22 in his last game which was against the same opponents (NZ)

And that was when Lockie Ferguson roughed him up with a short delivery, and he got run out trying to escape the strike. One of the most gutless pieces of cricket I've ever seen.

He is overweight and lazy but please name better alternatives. Talentless hacks who are only good in the heads of their delusional fans do not count.

He is overweight and lazy but please name better alternatives. Talentless hacks who are only good in the heads of their delusional fans do not count.

I much rather prefer a young lazy overweight in Azam khan then an old lazy overweight in Haris Sohail.

I much rather prefer a young lazy overweight in Azam khan then an old lazy overweight in Haris Sohail.

Play Haris and Azam in the same ODI team and give them 10 matches. Haris will outperform him at least 8 times.

Lmao @ Azam Khan. Where will you hide him in the field? I like the guys batting but hes not fit for international cricket yet.

Plays a bit too much away from the body, needs a danda to be kept on toes for every game. Haven't lost faith in him. And he is very much suited to no.4 and no.5 but shouldn't bat lower than that.

Lmao @ Azam Khan. Where will you hide him in the field? I like the guys batting but hes not fit for international cricket yet.

I don’t support Azam Khan for the reasons you mentioned. But if the other alternative is Haris Sohail then yes I would cheer for Azam.

Haris Sohail in the middle order is a good move. Good player of spin bowling. And with the worldcup for Pakistan is going to be in the subcontinent somewhere, this is a good move. I remember his centuries against australia in the uae, played really well. Good move pcb

Shafique/Imam
Fakhar
Babar
Rizwan
Haris
Salman Ali agha
Shadab Khan
Mohammed Nawaz/Imad Wasim
Shaheen
Haris
Ihsanullah/Naseem

This is going to be a good XI for the worldcup.

Even Azam would be fitter than Haris .

Both have poor fitness but Haris is a vastly superior batsman especially in the ODI format.

It is easy to say that Haris should not be in the ODI team but a bit difficult to nominate someone who is a better fit for the middle-order.

Find a worthy replacement and say goodbye to him forever.

I dont remember if Harris Sohail can play against spinners or not, can someone give me update.

With the WOrld Cup being in India, we need a middle order with players that can play spin. Ifti is good in that. Azam can smack spin aswell.

I dont remember if Harris Sohail can play against spinners or not, can someone give me update.

With the WOrld Cup being in India, we need a middle order with players that can play spin. Ifti is good in that. Azam can smack spin aswell.

He can play spin very well. Remember 2019 innings with babar where it was turning a lot. Sialkot players usually plays well. He was exposed in Australia only. Also has a weak persona.

Haroon Rasheed in his presser:

"Pakistan has to play 2023 World Cup in India. Haris Sohail is an outstanding middle order batter who can play spinners really well"

Both have poor fitness but Haris is a vastly superior batsman especially in the ODI format.

It is easy to say that Haris should not be in the ODI team but a bit difficult to nominate someone who is a better fit for the middle-order.

Find a worthy replacement and say goodbye to him forever.

Agreed. When you ask for replacement you won’t get an answer. Haris should bat at 4 ahead of rizwan.

Abdullah Shafique is better than Haris Sohail.

Harris sohail is as excellent batter against fast bowling but lacks same like babar against spinners. Its a shame that pakistan dont have good batsmen who can face spinners efficiently. Gone are the days when we used to have good batters like inzi, yousuf, malik who were excellent against spinners.

But atleast it is quite evident that Pakistan is the only team going into WC23 with the same top 4 batsmen lineup as of WC19. The settled top 4 plus rizwan and shadab will be vital for pakistan chances in WC

Would love to see mohammad Harris in lower middle order which can be used as a slogger instead of salman ali agha. Asif was used in CWC19 who failed miserably.

The problem with Haris has always been his fitness, running between wickets, fielding are all his liabilities.

But as a batter, he is a must, he's better than most of the other options. Look at the 2019 WC, as soon as Haris was brought back into the team, Pakistan's middle order stabilised.

Right now, there ain't no one better at No.4/5 in the ODI team for Pakistan.

Abdullah Shafique is better than Haris Sohail.

A timid cat like Shafique doesn’t give me any confidence. He is nothing more than second coming of Azhar and Shafiq who will flatter to deceive for a decade.

Haris is clearly a better batsman.

Watching Haris Sohail during training

He looks massive, doesn’t care a damn about fitness.

Watching Haris Sohail during training

He looks massive, doesn’t care a damn about fitness.

His situation does not look good (motappa)

yyCIBEJ.png

First things first: If I was the selector, I would have selected 14/15 that have been selected and the same 3 traveling reserves. Much better squad than 2019 that had questionable selections like Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Hasnain.

Coming back, why has Haris Sohail not been selected? What's even more disheartening is that no one in these forums, social media, tv channels, ex-cricketers, journalists is raising a strong voice for his selection.

Haris Sohail has played 45 ODI matches and has an average of 44.84 with a strike rate of 85.48. These are EXCEPTIONAL NUMBERS.

In the last World Cup, he won us games against New Zealand and South Africa. Against New Zealand, Babar has gone into a shell, it was Haris Sohail who counter-attacked and made 68 of 76 to get us home.
Against South Africa, he made 89 off 59 to get us to a 300 plus total.
If he had played against Australia, we could have won that match as well.

Yes he does get injured a bit more than everyone's liking, but right now he is fit and could be utilized at number 5.

So is Haris Sohail Pakistan's most under-rated ODI batsman ever? Why isn't he rated as highly as his numbers suggest? Is it because of his fitness, better alternatives or something else.

Let's discuss

Pure class. Effortless timer and played at a very good sr.

His fitness is the only reason he isn't a major star for Pakistan.

Haris Sohail is Pakistan’s most unfit ever batter
And what does Saud Shakeel bring to the table exactly? He is the second coming of Asad Shafiq who played 60 ODIs with a pathetic average of 24 and even more pathetic strike-rate of 67.

Can Saud play at 5? Where he can not spend 100 overs trying to get in but attack from the start?

Didn’t look so good against NZ on his come back last year. Outstanding player but fitness issues have finished him unfortunately.

Haris Sohail has scored a brilliant century for the Sialkot region during the ongoing Hanif Mohammad Trophy. He scored 105 runs and remained not out as Sialkot posted a huge score of 505/5 against Guetta region.

Haris Sohail has scored a brilliant century for the Sialkot region during the ongoing Hanif Mohammad Trophy. He scored 105 runs and remained not out as Sialkot posted a huge score of 505/5 against Guetta region.
Why is he playing in the second division? Cant he just represent lahore or any other region in the first division?

Why is he playing in the second division? Cant he just represent lahore or any other region in the first division?
He has no choice.

It depends on who he is selected by.

And what does Saud Shakeel bring to the table exactly? He is the second coming of Asad Shafiq who played 60 ODIs with a pathetic average of 24 and even more pathetic strike-rate of 67.

Can Saud play at 5? Where he can not spend 100 overs trying to get in but attack from the start?
Why should be play out of position ?

Fat talented player that can win you games single handedly >>>>>>> a player with 3% body fat that can’t clear the 30 yard circle.

Saud Shakeel averages 44 in List A, 50+ in FC and tests. He can’t seem to get a game in this fragile middle order. Not sure what you’re talking about big cities.
Abrar is the best spinner in the country as was evident in FC and Test, he’s in reserves.
Saim Ayub is lighting up CPL. Where is he?

The unfulfilled potential of Haris Sohail still depresses me to this day. Could have been one of nation's legendary middle order batters, one of the biggest what-ifs in Pakistan cricket.

Saud Shakeel averages 44 in List A, 50+ in FC and tests. He can’t seem to get a game in this fragile middle order. Not sure what you’re talking about big cities.
Abrar is the best spinner in the country as was evident in FC and Test, he’s in reserves.
Saim Ayub is lighting up CPL. Where is he?
Because he isn't in the friends 11. He's there as a water boy.

Sialkot is a massive city so I dont understand the title.

Anyways their are many players superior to him who aren't breaking down every second day, however in their cases yes where they are from ultimately dictates whether they are being selected or not (Safraz, Danish Aziz, Omair Yusuf etc)

I dont understand why we have lost a talent like Harris Sohail. He ticked all the check boxes to be a great batsman, but still he couldn't leave a lasting mark in Pakistan cricket.

This might be happened due to PCB's mismanagement or perhaps his own downfall due to lack of his fitness.

But sadly in both scenarios, Pakistan ended up losing a precious talent.

He was very likely to be in the World Cup squad but he got an injury so he was not considered. He always had issues with his fitness which is why he couldn't play more matches for Pakistan. I don't think it was a matter of his city.

This guy on one leg is still more reliable than the likes of Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman and Iftikhar.

This guy on one leg is still more reliable than the likes of Saud Shakeel, Agha Salman and Iftikhar.
no he is not. He is fat.

Our batting was never an issue in all the games, it was the captaincy and bowling which was the issue

no he is not. He is fat.

Our batting was never an issue in all the games, it was the captaincy and bowling which was the issue

How can you claim batting is not the issue though? Our tail is extremely Long because sheddy and nawaz aren't batsmen.

We have no player who can play according to modern standards besides chacha, and chacha isn't the best. But he's also someone I don't mind cause he isn't spineless.

Imam, Babar, Rizzu are outdated beyond belief and the fab 4 (Williamson, Smith, Root, Babar) as well as bavuma are pretty much exposed in this cup, NZ and SA are so much better without bavuma or Willamson.

Abdullah and saud have tried to show intent but their clearly inexperienced and saud is not a no 5. He can't function anywhere besides the top order, but the Nedthelrands game showed he isn't spineless unlike our top 4.

The batting approach while chasing is to take the game deep and except to chase 150 to 180 in the last 20, or while batting first score like 140 to 150 in the first 30 and Try to bash 150 to 180 in the last 20. I don't need to tell you why this won't work against even semi decent quality attacks. It worked against toothless Sri lanka, will probs work against England and Bangladesh, Won't work against anyone else in this WC, against SA no chance in hell. This isn't t20, ball is softer order, 2 or 3 wickets have likely fallen and fielders are up, this batting approach has failed 3 in a row now because the attacks were quality to semi decent.

Only fakhar tried to play according to modern standards and either outbat the opposition or genuinely chase according to rr and never let it increase and chacha as well. Fakhar isn't an option anymore though.

Bowling, fielding and captaincy is defo a problem but batting is 100% in the same boat lol.

How can you claim batting is not the issue though? Our tail is extremely Long because sheddy and nawaz aren't batsmen.

We have no player who can play according to modern standards besides chacha, and chacha isn't the best. But he's also someone I don't mind cause he isn't spineless.

Imam, Babar, Rizzu are outdated beyond belief and the fab 4 (Williamson, Smith, Root, Babar) as well as bavuma are pretty much exposed in this cup, NZ and SA are so much better without bavuma or Willamson.

Abdullah and saud have tried to show intent but their clearly inexperienced and saud is not a no 5. He can't function anywhere besides the top order, but the Nedthelrands game showed he isn't spineless unlike our top 4.

The batting approach while chasing is to take the game deep and except to chase 150 to 180 in the last 20, or while batting first score like 140 to 150 in the first 30 and Try to bash 150 to 180 in the last 20. I don't need to tell you why this won't work against even semi decent quality attacks. It worked against toothless Sri lanka, will probs work against England and Bangladesh, Won't work against anyone else in this WC, against SA no chance in hell. This isn't t20, ball is softer order, 2 or 3 wickets have likely fallen and fielders are up, this batting approach has failed 3 in a row now because the attacks were quality to semi decent.

Only fakhar tried to play according to modern standards and either outbat the opposition or genuinely chase according to rr and never let it increase and chacha as well. Fakhar isn't an option anymore though.

Bowling, fielding and captaincy is defo a problem but batting is 100% in the same boat lol.
bro, in all matches played, batting did well. It is the bowling and captaincy that failed.

As long as you are getting 270+ you are not bad, look at NZ. Issue is bowling and captaincy, if your bowling is allowing you to get hit for 300+ or not be able to defend 270+ than there is a serious issue in your bowling.

Look at India's bowling. They are not letting opposition go 300+ they are stopping them.

The batting was never the issue, it was the bowling.

bro, in all matches played, batting did well. It is the bowling and captaincy that failed.

As long as you are getting 270+ you are not bad, look at NZ. Issue is bowling and captaincy, if your bowling is allowing you to get hit for 300+ or not be able to defend 270+ than there is a serious issue in your bowling.

Look at India's bowling. They are not letting opposition go 300+ they are stopping them.

If you think batting is not an issue , you are delusional. SL game was outlier cause their bowling is crap. We have collapsed twice and can't even cross 300 when batting first.

Last edited by a moderator:

That isn't true.

Every side plays modern cricket, modern cricket doesn't mean bazzball, but it means by chasing first you play according to the RR or ideally > it which every team does including bamgaldesh, they are failing atm but their trying their best to keep up with rr. And while batting first you try to get as much as possible, something fakhar amd hafeez knew and did for us in 2017, thay 339 is 100x more impactful then the 346 we chased lol.

Our approach is either to bat with a set target in mind like 280 to 300, or while batting 2nd bat like cowards for the first 30 and hope that we can chase 170 odd in the final 20. That approach will never work against even semi decent attacks because the ball is softer, older, field is up and 2 or 3 wickets have fallen, this isn't t20. It worked against garbage bowling like Sri lanka and will maybe work against bamgaldesh and England cause their bowling is also toothless, won't work against NZ or SA. We didn't use to do this in 2017 lol.

Our batting didn't do well even in the Sri lanka game, we played with the most risky method possible and if rizwan had fallen even when we had wickets at hand, Game would be over cause batting deep is beyond risky and a new batter needs a bit of time to set, so even 80 of 60 would be risky.

As for your India point, it falls flat because we got bowled out for less then 200 while other sides are attacking their way to 280 atleast. Their still trying to attack India but are unable to because the bowling is goated. We didn't try to attack India even once, we were cowards.

Don't believe me? Look at what kuldeep said he said that

FOR every opposition he varied his line and length, and tried different things to take a wicket because batters attacked him so he had to think smarter, but with Pakistan he kept bowling the same ball over and over, same line and length before chacha came, because babar wasn't attacking him, neither was rizwan, so he just did what was working, their was no need to switch things up.

We are the only opposition that this happened to, also if you say kuldeep was being arrogant, trust me when I say this, he wasn't, he doesn't take babar seriously lol, their wasn't any cockiness in his answer, I saw him bowl the exact same delivery to babar over and over.

He's mentally the weakest player in Pakistan. Someone goes boo and he falls apart. That's before you get into his physical vulnerabilities. He always seems to be breaking down, especially when his team needs him. Glad if he never plays for Pakistan again.
Haris Sohail lost his daughter to cancer so it is completely understandable why his mind has never been in the right place since.

Saeed Anwar was another player who was never the same after losing his daughter.

He had the potential to become the next Babar Azam but unfortunately his career was derailed by injuries.
He was better than Azam. Don’t go by stats. Harris was the big impact player. He could attack any bowling line up on his day.

I recon I would still take him as an opener instead of Imam and Abdullah but hey he’s not one of the boys

Doesn't seem to be playing domestic cricket anymore? Is he currently unfit?

Doesn't seem to be playing domestic cricket anymore? Is he currently unfit?
Most of the time in the year he remains unfit don't know what's wrong with this guy.

He ruined his career himself otherwise he could have been the most successful batsman in Pakistan cricket.

Back