[VIDEOS] Indian batting paradises, should such pitches be banned in Cricket?

These cricketing run-fests are completely anti-thesis of what cricket is and should be all about.

I don't know about the younger generation (born 2000+) but for those guys who have seen the 80's and 90's would never attest to this book cricket and label it exciting.

Cricket was always meant to be a battle between the best bowlers and the best batters. In the last 3-4 years, cricket has become a contest between the batsmen themselves. Who is the greatest hitter of them all is the question on everyone's lips? The bowlers have been reduced to a footnote.

In the 80's and 90's while the world saw mega stars in Lara, Tendulkar, Steve Waugh, Miandad on the batting side, the bowling side had a fair share of all-time greats in McGrath, Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Donald, Pollock, Murali. The game was a battle between two sets of greats on opposite sides with two distinct skills on display.

If I look at today's cricket, apart from Pat Cummins, there is not a single bowler who is a mega superstar on the bowling side of things. Dale Steyn was the last ATG bowler that was unearthed and he retired 5 years back. All the headlines are now hogged by the likes of Klaasen, Head, David, Pollard. is this the cricket we aspire to?

Over the years batters have benefitted from change in rules that have solely profited the batters. They have had advancements in the quality of bats where an edge or a mishit flies for a six. The boundaries have been shortened to a mere 70 meter with some grounds even having 60-62 metres. The bowlers on the other hand are still required to bowl with the same Kookaburra since 1900 that has its seam flattened after 15 overs. How is that an able contest?

To me, there used to be an undeniable magic to cricket where anticipation would hang in the air. You wouldn't know if Lara would smash a boundary or would Wasim rip through his defences with a toe-crusher. It's been barely two weeks since SRH posted 277. How many of us remember the innings in that match? They just posted 287 and that 277 is a relic now. But most of us here would remember fondly the deliveries of Wasim to Dravid, Shoaib to Dravid and Tendulkar, Donald to Tendulkar. I still remember Lara's cover drive for four to win the Test match in 1999 against Australia.

T20 is here to stay and there's no denying that. But even T20 used to be fun. The 2007 T20 World Cup was a classic where 160 scores were match-winning and there was an even contest between bat and ball.

Let's not reduce cricket to a smash sport with victors determined on who can swing the willow the hardest. Let's not reduce cricket to the point where the only anticipation is whether the batsman is going to hit the delivery for a four or six. Let's not reduce cricket to the point where it becomes a mere statistic-driven contest, devoid of the poetry and the artistry that made it truly enchanting.

These cricketing run-fests are completely anti-thesis of what cricket is and should be all about.

I don't know about the younger generation (born 2000+) but for those guys who have seen the 80's and 90's would never attest to this book cricket and label it exciting.

Cricket was always meant to be a battle between the best bowlers and the best batters. In the last 3-4 years, cricket has become a contest between the batsmen themselves. Who is the greatest hitter of them all is the question on everyone's lips? The bowlers have been reduced to a footnote.

In the 80's and 90's while the world saw mega stars in Lara, Tendulkar, Steve Waugh, Miandad on the batting side, the bowling side had a fair share of all-time greats in McGrath, Walsh, Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Donald, Pollock, Murali. The game was a battle between two sets of greats on opposite sides with two distinct skills on display.

If I look at today's cricket, apart from Pat Cummins, there is not a single bowler who is a mega superstar on the bowling side of things. Dale Steyn was the last ATG bowler that was unearthed and he retired 5 years back. All the headlines are now hogged by the likes of Klaasen, Head, David, Pollard. is this the cricket we aspire to?

Over the years batters have benefitted from change in rules that have solely profited the batters. They have had advancements in the quality of bats where an edge or a mishit flies for a six. The boundaries have been shortened to a mere 70 meter with some grounds even having 60-62 metres. The bowlers on the other hand are still required to bowl with the same Kookaburra since 1900 that has its seam flattened after 15 overs. How is that an able contest?

To me, there used to be an undeniable magic to cricket where anticipation would hang in the air. You wouldn't know if Lara would smash a boundary or would Wasim rip through his defences with a toe-crusher. It's been barely two weeks since SRH posted 277. How many of us remember the innings in that match? They just posted 287 and that 277 is a relic now. But most of us here would remember fondly the deliveries of Wasim to Dravid, Shoaib to Dravid and Tendulkar, Donald to Tendulkar. I still remember Lara's cover drive for four to win the Test match in 1999 against Australia.

T20 is here to stay and there's no denying that. But even T20 used to be fun. The 2007 T20 World Cup was a classic where 160 scores were match-winning and there was an even contest between bat and ball.

Let's not reduce cricket to a smash sport with victors determined on who can swing the willow the hardest. Let's not reduce cricket to the point where the only anticipation is whether the batsman is going to hit the delivery for a four or six. Let's not reduce cricket to the point where it becomes a mere statistic-driven contest, devoid of the poetry and the artistry that made it truly enchanting.
We are in one of most bowling friendly eras of test cricket, let t20 cricket be a slogfest, it's for entertainment after all and that's what most fans want

You can always live in denial of modernity, and watch 80s 90s cricket on YouTube.

You can also watch Misbah ul Haq batting videos post 2010 to see a great contest of one man struggling to bat in white ball cricket whilst every other team was consistently breaching 350

You can also watch videos of Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan batting at a snails pace in the powerplay from the year 2020 onwards

Moreover, you can also watch Shan Masood following Babar and Rizwan in the T20 World Cup 2022. That Pakistan team wasn’t toxic btw as Amir and Imad were not a part of it…cricket isn’t meant to be toxic, it should be about love and cakes.

Ever heard of attitude? Viv Richards scored 56 ball test 100 exactly on this day. It was the fastest test 100 for 30 years. Fastest 100 by Afridii in the 90s. Game has come a long way since. Back then approach and attitude was different. When the attitude of batsmen started changing we saw more of it. Game has evolved. You simply boil everything down to bowling quality. Ball throwers are highly efficient these days. From short distance they generate a lot of speed with ball thrower tool. Their technique against high pace has gone up significantly. ALl the names you suggest will face the same music in modern cricket. Batting technique, hitting technique everything has evolved massively. Even against yorkers they change stance and convert either into full toss or half volley. In order to balance they added two bouncer rule. But unless the pitch itself is pacy and bouncy you won't get much out of it. You have to be a bit more intelligent.

435712267_438809138645315_3890427961203855723_n.jpg

Im putting this out there for everyone to see.

Impact player rule, every team has at least 2 weak domestic bowlers. So many factors. I am more curious to see the impact of impact player rule.

Impact player rule, every team has at least 2 weak domestic bowlers. So many factors. I am more curious to see the impact of impact player rule.

This happens only on certain grounds. Those are familiar grounds. Teams go with a mindset to achieve big total on those grounds. They show intent from the word go. It is not just T20, ODI, Test everywhere scoriing rate has gone up. Jaiswal hit 26 sixes in the recently concluded Test series against England. Nobody has ever hit that many sixes in cricketing hiistory. Previous record was Rohit 19 sixes in a series. Look at England's batting approach in Tests.

Fi5-AEJDag-AAAqr-L.jpg

WTH!!!

I dont know how anyone can find this entertaining.
Pak fans did find entertaining when Pakistan reached 200 runs in 25 overs on the very same ground :) This is a high altitude venue where ball flies. If you show intent youl will be rewarded. This is where Rohit sharma hit 16 sixes in one ODI knock against Australia when he got his double 100. This was 10 years back. The thing is back then not many teams showed collective intent. Nowadays teams collecitvely show intent. Every batsman comes with same approach. Basiically we had one afridi iin the 90s. Now we have about 5 or 6 advanced well refined afridis in each team. If it iis that easy you would see the same result in Tests.

WTH!!!

I dont understand are the Indians here. There is one poster, posting about Pindi stadium when i have said in the OP that i dont support batting tracks anywhere. Yet, here is trying to justify it cause its India

Last edited by a moderator:
WTH!!!

Bigger bats, shorter boundaries, and shoddy bowing standards in the IPL can easily yield 200+ runs, the rest is just intent but enough to keep 100s of Millions glued to what they believe is quality cricket - even if rigged.

All fair and lovely in the WWE world of Cricket.

😎

We are in one of most bowling friendly eras of test cricket, let t20 cricket be a slogfest, it's for entertainment after all and that's what most fans want
That's the issue right there. Equating entertainment with sixes. Equally entertaining is a bowler toe-crushing batsmen or breaking the stumps into half or making the batsman hop around like a bunny. Wahab Riaz has done nothing in his cricketing career but he gets remembered for his spell to Watson. That spell did nothing for the team but it was surely entertaining to watch. The highlight of this IPL for me has to be Bumrah's toe-crushing yorker to get Prithvi Shaw bowled.

Ever heard of attitude? Viv Richards scored 56 ball test 100 exactly on this day. It was the fastest test 100 for 30 years. Fastest 100 by Afridii in the 90s. Game has come a long way since. Back then approach and attitude was different. When the attitude of batsmen started changing we saw more of it. Game has evolved. You simply boil everything down to bowling quality. Ball throwers are highly efficient these days. From short distance they generate a lot of speed with ball thrower tool. Their technique against high pace has gone up significantly. ALl the names you suggest will face the same music in modern cricket. Batting technique, hitting technique everything has evolved massively. Even against yorkers they change stance and convert either into full toss or half volley. In order to balance they added two bouncer rule. But unless the pitch itself is pacy and bouncy you won't get much out of it. You have to be a bit more intelligent.
Exceptions don't overrule the rule. Viv's 100, Afridi's 100 were exceptions and out of the blue. Everybody enjoys those kind of things if it happens once in a while. You will love a chocolate fudge brownie with caramel if you have it once in 6 months. If you start having that every week, you'll start hating it.

I dont understand are the Indians here. There is one poster, posting about Pindi stadium when i have said in the OP that i dont support batting tracks anywhere. Yet, here is trying to justify it cause its India
Fact that you don't understand certain grounds in INdia are batting pitches always. Been that way for so many years. You pick those pitches and use as an example lol That is where your lack of knowledge about INdian pitchces is getting exposed.

Exceptions don't overrule the rule. Viv's 100, Afridi's 100 were exceptions and out of the blue. Everybody enjoys those kind of things if it happens once in a while. You will love a chocolate fudge brownie with caramel if you have it once in 6 months. If you start having that every week, you'll start hating it.
Not once in a while. Afridi and Jayasuriya were consistently producing thosse kind of knocks. Kapil dev had strike rate of over 80 even in Tests in the 1980s. We have more such guys now. Just because it is rare in Pakistan, don't think other countries don't produce. England's ODI cricket changed since 2015. They decided to keep going harder and harder during middle phase. They achieved 481 in ODI. It is the attitude. mindset. Those days it was rare. Because they rarely showed intent. THey never had concept of going harder right through the innings. Nowadays even in tests there is no concept of defending. Ben duckett hardly defended. he tried to attack 85% of the ball in Tests. Imagine in T20.

IPL is a domestic tournament and I don't understand why ICC would ban anything. Does the OP follow Indian domestic cricket? Lots of Ranji games are drawn as well with both the teams scoring huge in domestic cricket. It happens everywhere. Also need to understand that IPL being a domestic tournament means that some inexperienced bowlers are bowling to international batters on batting friendly wickets. On same wickets we have seen Jasprit Bumrah, Mustafizur and Pathirana bowling brilliantly and hardly getting hit.

No one cares if Pakistan produces roads for their domestic games, I don't think anyone was complaining about the same. The criticism was only about international pitches especially Test matches where even the Pakistan bowlers were nullified giving advantage to the opposition. So comparing that to a domestic tournament is ridiculous. I don't think any non-Pakistan fan was comparing about what pitches were produced for PSL or any domestic tournament in Pakistan as that is not relevant to the world. When India produces roads in Tests or when teams start to score 220+ regularly in international T20 games, then this thread would make sense. At this point basing an entire thread on a domestic tournament to defend the roads Pakistan has been dishing out in Test cricket or international white ball cricket seems ridiculous.

IPL is a domestic tournament and I don't understand why ICC would ban anything. Does the OP follow Indian domestic cricket? Lots of Ranji games are drawn as well with both the teams scoring huge in domestic cricket. It happens everywhere. Also need to understand that IPL being a domestic tournament means that some inexperienced bowlers are bowling to international batters on batting friendly wickets. On same wickets we have seen Jasprit Bumrah, Mustafizur and Pathirana bowling brilliantly and hardly getting hit.

No one cares if Pakistan produces roads for their domestic games, I don't think anyone was complaining about the same. The criticism was only about international pitches especially Test matches where even the Pakistan bowlers were nullified giving advantage to the opposition. So comparing that to a domestic tournament is ridiculous. I don't think any non-Pakistan fan was comparing about what pitches were produced for PSL or any domestic tournament in Pakistan as that is not relevant to the world. When India produces roads in Tests or when teams start to score 220+ regularly in international T20 games, then this thread would make sense. At this point basing an entire thread on a domestic tournament to defend the roads Pakistan has been dishing out in Test cricket or international white ball cricket seems ridiculous.

I think it is to neutralize the comment from Doull about the pitches being prepared for Babar Azam's stat boosting lol India is the hardest place to score runs in Tests especially last few years.

Batting pitches are found everywhere. This era is more batting friendly than it was some 10 years ago so we will see scores of 240-250+ every now and then and teams will also chase that score. This is not enough for the pitch to be banned, Why ban it?
This is a domestic tournament (IPL, PSL stc). Local organizers can do whatever they want to do in these leagues. Can introduce any rule they want to. This is just entertainment purpose. Nothing more.

from batting paradises to the unexpected
Yeah, this is going to be one hell of a challenge because no one knows the type of pitches to come in the US. Windies pitches are somewhat known and are slower side but pitches in the US are totally a mystery.

Bigger bats, shorter boundaries, and shoddy bowing standards in the IPL can easily yield 200+ runs, the rest is just intent but enough to keep 100s of Millions glued to what they believe is quality cricket - even if rigged.

All fair and lovely in the WWE world of Cricket.

😎
If Rauf, Shaheen and Hasan played for RCB, SRH would have made 300+.

This year, IPL pitches are worse, ridiculous. Batting is pretty easy.
It's rubbish, even the slow Chennai pitch has become a batting paradise. Those who score runs on these belters should not be taken seriously.

223 chased at Eden Gardens

Let’s ban one of the most iconic venues in World Cricket…

223 chased at Eden Gardens

Let’s ban one of the most iconic venues in World Cricket…
Eden Gardens and Wankhede both have small boundaries, around 60-65 meters. Chinnaswamy is worse than both, around 56-60 meters. All these pitches are proper belters.

Eden Gardens and Wankhede both have small boundaries, around 60-65 meters. Chinnaswamy is worse than both, around 56-60 meters. All these pitches are proper belters.

They are always good batting wickets. Nothing new. Let us not forget in the very first IPL match McCullum made 158 runs. We have more players with more attitude, better hitting technique, better innovation. Look at how DK scored runs against MI. Most of them he just reverse lapped. Then the reverse pull for a six against Bhuvi. To think that Maxwell has not even fired in this edition. Imagine hi m firing.

This year, IPL pitches are worse, ridiculous. Batting is pretty easy.
It's rubbish, even the slow Chennai pitch has become a batting paradise. Those who score runs on these belters should not be taken seriously.

If you put the same unit they can do the same at the wanderers.

Rawalpindi should be banned . Such a ridiculously low bounce pitch for a T20.

Clearly it was tailor made for left arm medium pacers like Shaheen and Aamir who bowl cutters and spinners who don't turn the ball much.

im just gonna paste this here.

Indians will defend this, soo

So you didn't have time to paste yesterday's match?
Travis head is gun though, he loves Indian pitches, he literally looked all star on a final pitch where every one including Australia themselves struggled

So trundlers on belter Indian pitches won't bother him, plus ipl wants 6's and big games cause money

Travis head is gun though, he loves Indian pitches, he literally looked all star on a final pitch where every one including Australia themselves struggled

So trundlers on belter Indian pitches won't bother him, plus ipl wants 6's and big games cause money

On the same pitch certain openers going around the world would not have scored half the runs against same attack. This is why INdians don't want our usual suspects opening the innings.

im just gonna paste this here.

Indians will defend this, soo

Is every team doing this in the IPL?

SRH have taken aggressive powerplay approach to the next level and they are being rewarded for their bravery. If the problem is the league, then every team should be able to manage a reasonable fraction of this in the powerplay.

What’s stopping Gujrat Titans with their tu tuk maestros Gill, Sudharshan and Saha to achieve 80+ regularly in the first 6 overs?

Is every team doing this in the IPL?

SRH have taken aggressive powerplay approach to the next level and they are being rewarded for their bravery. If the problem is the league, then every team should be able to manage a reasonable fraction of this in the powerplay.

What’s stopping Gujrat Titans with their tu tuk maestros Gill, Sudharshan and Saha to achieve 80+ regularly in the first 6 overs?
This is the thing people don't get it. We have seen far worse roads in 2000s where we were all at the mercy of Jayasuriya. But we have too many of them in the side. Only before IPL , England made over 250 in West INdies with phil salt's 100. The reason they got there was because he was not the only one who went after bowling. Jacks, BRook all went after the bowling non stop.

This is the thing people don't get it. We have seen far worse roads in 2000s where we were all at the mercy of Jayasuriya. But we have too many of them in the side. Only before IPL , England made over 250 in West INdies with phil salt's 100. The reason they got there was because he was not the only one who went after bowling. Jacks, BRook all went after the bowling non stop.
You can’t explain that to someone who thinks scoring 178 at Rawalpindi batting first is a good score against New Zealand’s C team

They make roads for the IPL
and dust bowls for test matches

it could back fire for the WC especially where the pitches are much slower in the WIndies. If Indians are used to playing of flat decks, then perhaps it could work to pak's advantage.

it could back fire for the WC especially where the pitches are much slower in the WIndies. If Indians are used to playing of flat decks, then perhaps it could work to pak's advantage.

Which dustbowl did you see in the recent IND-ENG Test series ?

Not even English journalists called them dustbowls and said they were all flat but OK.

England would outplayed, there is no doubt about it. But the pitches started spinning horizontally on day 2.

eHJEZa6.png

England would outplayed, there is no doubt about it. But the pitches started spinning horizontally on day 2.

eHJEZa6.png
Almost 4 players scored double centuries in the second innings of all the matches and u claim its spinning horizontal from second day. Vaughan tweet is from 4th test 2nd innings where eng faltered for 145 and ind win with 5 wickets in hand chasing 192.

Almost 4 players scored double centuries in the second innings of all the matches and u claim its spinning horizontal from second day. Vaughan tweet is from 4th test 2nd innings where eng faltered for 145 and ind win with 5 wickets in hand chasing 192.

Pitches were spinning like mad, that's a fact. You can deny it all you want, but they were.
Indian batters played very well, hence the centuries. And England were outplayed. My point, is that as hosts, India have the right to prepare pitches to suit them. All hosts do the same.

As for flat IPL pitches, high scores make for fun viewing so I don't mind it too much tbh.

Pitches were spinning like mad, that's a fact.
Instead of random statements can u support with the stats.Vizag,Rajkot and Dharamsala were the most fair pitches helping batting and taking out toss factor completely.

Instead of random statements can u support with the stats.Vizag,Rajkot and Dharamsala were the most fair pitches helping batting and taking out toss factor completely.
Dharamshala ended in 2.5 days bro...
i don't know why you are getting so defensive about the subject. Preparing spin friendly wickets is really not a big deal. As I said, India outclassed England in any case.

i don't know why you are getting so defensive about the subject. Preparing spin friendly wickets is really not a big deal. As I said, India outclassed England in any case.

We have a quality bowling attack. That's the difference

In Dharmshala, England folded mentally before the game itself. Ind scored 477 after eng folded meekly for 218 from 175/3 .

Am not getting defensive am asking the proof for ur claims

In Dharmshala, England folded mentally before the game itself. Ind scored 477 after eng folded meekly for 218 from 175/3 .

Am not getting defensive am asking the proof for ur claims

In the first and 2nd Test England played with 1 pacer, which is telling
In the last test, Indian pacers just took 4/20 wickets
3rd Test seemed more balanced

But that's a bit of a moot point. If it was a dustbowl, we couldn't have scored 477 while batting 2nd on that pitch.

England spinners suck, Indian batting is good
Even on a turning wicket
not really a moot point

In the first and 2nd Test England played with 1 pacer, which is telling
In the last test, Indian pacers just took 4/20 wickets
3rd Test seemed more balanced
Eng have only one decent pacer thats anderson.Wood and Robinson were completely duds.Ind played 2 fast bowlers in all the matches.why can't it be a reference point.

Bumrah was unplayable in last Test irrespective of wickets.Bumrah was the difference in the second match.Akashdeep ,the new pacer set the tone of the match in 4th match first innings.

Really :) England right before IPL made 267 in West Indies

IT requires special hitting skills. Shashank is famous for six hitting in domestic. You don't expect guys like KOhli doing the same.

I know what Babar and Rizwan would score on these pitches.

It makes the flat pitch argument null and void.

I know what Babar and Rizwan would score on these pitches.

It makes the flat pitch argument null and void.
If you look carefully India's experienced old horses don't do the ssame like what youngsters do. Kohli, even Rohit doesn't do, KL Rahul. It is a reflection game's evolution. Some oldies like Dinesh karthik adapted by using the crease effectively. First and foremost thing is mindset. SKY has done at the international level with 4 whirlwind centuries. One in England , one in NZ, One in South Africa, one in India.

Back in the days 160 used to be good score for T20. This year it's 260+. Why do you even need to pay $3m for Mitchell Starc or any high end bowlers?

Former Australia Captain Ricky Ponting, during an interview with a sports media, was asked if 250 will become the norm. He replied:

"I think in India it will."

I think IPL and BCCI have already understood that the crowd only comes to see sixes. That's why they didn't hesitate to prepare batting friendly pitches for IPL 2024. I think for the next IPL season, they can use bowling machines and batters to only hit sixes,any other outcomes would result in being out.

I think IPL and BCCI have already understood that the crowd only comes to see sixes. That's why they didn't hesitate to prepare batting friendly pitches for IPL 2024. I think for the next IPL season, they can use bowling machines and batters to only hit sixes,any other outcomes would result in being out.
Its not the pitch. Its the talent of the batsmen to hit big. You put the likes of Babar, Rohit, KL Rahul on the same pitches, they can strike at 150 at best. Not good enough when the likes of Head and Abhishek can strike at 250.

Back