[VIDEOS] James Vince - Performance Watch

truthseer

First Class Star
Runs
He seems highly promising to me, definitely has some talent. The ease with which he's handled Rehman so far on a turning pitch has impressed me. He also handled Trego pretty well and forced him to shorten his length and then pulled him away. May not have the best stats at the moment but his performance this year has been pretty good. An average of 60+ in the Pro40 Tournament so far. Only 21 so there's a lot of chance to develop. One to keep an eye on, I think.

What do you make of him?

Said it a long time ago. He's such a talent. Been following James for some time now. Big fan of him. Very aggressive batsman too.

Said it a long time ago. He's such a talent. Been following James for some time now. Big fan of him. Very aggressive batsman too.

Agreed. Even now, Hamps are down but he's played like he's on a different pitch. Him and Trego have really impressed me, from what I've seen of them

Did he play it today watched most of his innings today and played some very good reverse sweeps though.

Missed his innings today, my sister needed the TV. I watched the first 10, the last 10 and the whole of Hampshire's reply

Vince was on the England performance programme along with the likes of Taylor, Bairstow, Buttler, Hales etc. who have all pushed their way into the England set-up so I doubt it will be too long before Vince also gets a shot either in Test matches or in the shorter forms of the game.

Not very smart play here though he is taking singles and the tail are getting knocked over. He should be taking the game by the scruff of the neck, just took power play and than proceeded to take single off first ball.

There's no chance now but a magical innings none the less. The way he hit Rehman for two fours, the way he took Trego on, and then the way, he milked the other bowlers once the two threats were gone, magical.

Oh and handled Kirby pretty well too

James Vince, England batsman and Hampshire captain, is hoping to regain a place in the Test side this summer, targeting the Ashes, which begins on 1 August.

Vince, who has played 13 Tests for England across three years, last played in March 2018 against New Zealand but was not able to retain his place in the side despite scoring a fluent 76 in Christchurch. Now with the Ashes around the corner, the top-order batsman is looking for another chance to prove himself.

"I feel like my game’s definitely improved in the time I’ve been away. I feel like I can do better in Test cricket. I’ve had the taste of it. I know what it takes," Vince told The Independent in an interview.

Vince has scored 500 runs in 22 Test innings and averages 24.90, with three half-centuries to his name. Having spoken to England selector Ed Smith and skipper Joe Root, the 28-year-old has been advised to bat higher up the order for his county side to make a case for selection. Since he already bats at No.3, Vince is comfortable with the idea of opening the innings.

I feel like I can do better in Test cricket. I’ve had the taste of it. I know what it takes.
James Vince

"The feedback I got was that they're more comfortable moving someone down the order than up the order," he said. "So by opening the batting, if I can do well at the start of the year, and should there be spots available come the Ashes, I’ve given myself the best chance of being selected.

"I’ve been batting No.3 [for Hampshire], so it’s not a huge change tactically. Last year I was in within the first five overs anyway."

While Vince's run in international cricket has been quite short, he has done pretty well at the domestic level, scoring close to 1000 first-class runs last season in challenging conditions. He understands that tough competition makes it difficult to claw his way back in once dropped and that there are no excuses for failures at the international level.

Vince scored an impressive 76 against New Zealand in March 2018 Vince scored an impressive 76 against New Zealand in March 2018
"I played six Tests last winter, got a couple of unlucky dismissals, a couple of good balls. I didn’t necessarily have the time to claw it back. You start playing for your place a little bit. You have two or three low scores, and the nature of international cricket is there’s always guys wanting the spot you’re in," he mused.

He always analyzed his dismissals to work on his shortcomings, he added. "Every time I get out, I try and assess whether it was a poor decision, poor execution, whether the bowler got me out, whether I could have done anything differently.

"It’s not every time you got a great ball. [But] not every time it’s going to be your fault. Occasionally you’re going to make a bad decision. Everyone in the world does that."

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1145203

He strikes me as having all the natural ability for a top international career but not the mind-set. He tries to play too many shots. In County cricket a bad ball will come along every over that can be hit for four but international bowlers bowl fewer bad balls. He has to improve his shot selection.

Looks like James Vince is opening this season to give himself the best shot of returning to England for the Ashes this summer.

Scored 40 in his first game for Hampshire.

Think he's too loose outside offstump to open in Tests for England but fair play for trying to reinvent himself.

Looks like James Vince is opening this season to give himself the best shot of returning to England for the Ashes this summer.

Scored 40 in his first game for Hampshire.

Think he's too loose outside offstump to open in Tests for England but fair play for trying to reinvent himself.

Ended up keeping for a bit due to injury and also sent down some of his medium pacers while also captaining, true all rounder :mv!

Included in England's squad:

James Vince included in England’s squad for the Royal London ODI Series against Pakistan

Always liked him as a player. Think he is a better fit for LO than test cricket. I would have him as Hales replacement as he can bat anywhere in the top 4.

Always liked him as a player. Think he is a better fit for LO than test cricket. I would have him as Hales replacement as he can bat anywhere in the top 4.

Totally agree - he's in top form. Great option for England now that Hales is excluded and with Sam Billings also injured.

Totally agree - he's in top form. Great option for England now that Hales is excluded and with Sam Billings also injured.

Sam Billings is out of the WC as well. I don't think whoever replaces Billings and Hales will start.

James Vince hopes to capitalise on the banishing of Alex Hales over claims of drug use and force his way into England's World Cup plans.

The in-form Hampshire batsman could be involved in the 50-over showpiece after Hales was dramatically dropped from all England squads due to reported use of recreational drugs.

The 28-year-old Vince has the remaining four matches of England's one-day international series against Pakistan to stake his claim.

“If he was here I don't think I'd be here now,” Vince said of Hales. “I'm not going to say too much on his situation but it has given me an opportunity.

“It's great to be back among the lads and I want to push my case to get into that World Cup squad.”

England have until May 23 to finalise their squad for the home tournament, with their opening match against South Africa taking place seven days later at the Oval.

Vince has already endured frustration in his quest to impress national selector Ed Smith and head coach Trevor Bayliss after the five-match series opener was curtailed by rain on Wednesday.

Pakistan reached 80-2 in the 19 overs that were possible, with Vince and fellow fringe player Joe Denly denied a chance to impress.

Pace bowler Jofra Archer, however, served further notice of his World Cup credentials with a wicket and two maiden overs, and Vince admits competition for places is hotting up.

“Jofra's not in it (the World Cup squad) at the moment so I guess there are a few options and a few different balances to the side,” said Vince.

“I'm trying not to think about it too much and if and when I do get an opportunity in this series, (I will) try to push my case.

“They've played some magnificent cricket and got to number one in the world so it's been a tough team to break into.”

With opener Jason Roy set to be fit after overcoming a back spasm, Vince is unsure whether he will be involved in the second match of the series on Saturday and is considering turning out for his county.

And he said he was unsure how much he would be involved in the rest of the series against Pakistan.

“I guess it depends on what they're thinking for the World Cup, whether they want to give me game time or whether I'm not part of their plans,” he said.

“At the minute, I don't know a huge amount but hopefully I'll get at least one more opportunity in this series.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...cher-england-pakistan-odi/article27098080.ece

Back